╌>

Cheese lovers - what's your favourite?

Category:  Wine & Food

By:  buzz-of-the-orient  •  6 years ago  •  23 comments

"Only peril can bring the French together. One can't impose unity out of the blue on a country that has 265 different kinds of cheese." - Charles de Gaulle

Personally, my favourite is Stilton, a kind of blue cheese, and next to that good old well aged sharp cheddar.  It should be a little crumbly as in the picture, and in my opinion, it is superior to the European blue cheeses.

From Wikipedia:

Stilton is an English cheese, produced in two varieties: Blue, known for its characteristic strong smell and taste, and the lesser-known White. Both have been granted the status of a protected designation of origin by the European Commission, which requires that only cheese produced in the three counties of Derbyshire, Leicestershire, and Nottinghamshire and made according to a strict code may be called "Stilton". Thus cheese made in the village of Stilton which is now in Cambridgeshire could not be sold as "Stilton".

Cheese on crackers (I like Ritz the best) and a good red wine is for me the most perfect snack.  I LOVE cheese - eat some every day. The Chinese people are SO unaware about cheese. The only cheese they seem to know about is sliced processed cheese that's put into cheeseburgers, and they probably didn't even know about that until McDonald's came to town.  Processed cheese is the only kind that is carried in larger supermarkets - small stores don't bother.  I have to travel for almost an hour to go to the METRO big box store that imports many foods from around the world to buy real aged cheddar, Emmenthal (sp?), Danish blue, brie, Camembert, Swiss and Parmesan. But even they don't carry Stilton, my favourite. 

So what is YOUR favourite cheese?

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
1  author  Buzz of the Orient    6 years ago

Cheese lovers, choose your favourite cheese. As well, if you have any good stories to tell where cheese is an integral part, let us know what it is.  But remember, it is the SECOND mouse that gets the cheese.

Krishna
Professor Expert
2  Krishna    6 years ago

The Chinese people are SO unaware about cheese.

Like most Americans, I have eaten Chinese food fairly frequently. Then one day I had an unusual insight: as far as I know, not only don't the Chinese not eat cheese-- they don't eat any dairy products. (or am I wrong about that?)

In recent years many Chinese restaurants here n the states started serving ice cream for desert. But I remember that many years ago they didn't serve ice cream-- and they certainly didn't serve milk. Back then Chinese deserts were either fruit-- or pastries.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
2.1  author  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Krishna @2    6 years ago

The Chinese regularly drink milk, eat yogurt and ice cream - all are available even in small variety stores (I have always lived and shopped in middle and upper middle class areas so I can't speak for the whole population). The milk is pasteurized using the quick method, that allows it to be stored for a long time without refrigeration but does cause it to have a bit of a strange taste.  Both salted and unsalted butter and cream cheese are available in larger supermarkets but I don't think the Chinese have even heard of sour cream or cottage cheese.

epistte
Junior Guide
3  epistte    6 years ago

It would be far easier for me to pick a chese that I don't like than to choose one favorite. Cheese and bread are food groups of their own to me.  I love all of the blue chesses as well as goat's milk feta and the hard rind cheese of Itay and Switzerland. Brie or Limburger would probably be the only cheeses that I don't like. 

dave-2693993
Junior Quiet
3.1  dave-2693993  replied to  epistte @3    6 years ago
It would be far easier for me to pick a chese that I don't like than to choose one favorite. Cheese and bread are food groups of their own to me.  I love all of the blue chesses as well as goat's milk feta and the hard rind cheese of Itay and Switzerland. Brie or Limburger would probably be the only cheeses that I don't like. 

Okay, all I can say is ditto. Nothing else to really add except I like Brie and Limburger.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
3.1.1  author  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  dave-2693993 @3.1    6 years ago

As De Gaulle said, France produces 265 kinds of cheese. Can you imagine how many kinds of cheese are produced world wide?  I doubt that any person has ever tasted them all.

dave-2693993
Junior Quiet
3.1.2  dave-2693993  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @3.1.1    6 years ago

So many cheeses, so little time.

One of my favorite topics of researching ancient history is food.

Of course cheese is one. I had once thought it was a very ancient food. Apparently not, which was surprising to me. Then I realized, domesticated animals are needed. Now more recently some discoveries suggest some cultures domesticated animals long before previously thought. A little more cheese research is needed here now.

Then the other is grains for breads, right? Hmmmm. Some evidence is suggesting beer came before breads. Further suggesting beer was the original spark for the cultivation or farming revolution, which, some suggest started prior the the 8,200yr BP cooling which halted during that cooling period.

The next on the list of discovery is Pizza!!!

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
3.1.3  author  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  dave-2693993 @3.1.2    6 years ago
"The next on the list of discovery is Pizza!!"

When you've finished your research, do an article. I have a couple of interesting stories to tell about pizza, notwithstanding that pizza was not introduced into Canada until I was in my early 20s.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
3.2  author  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  epistte @3    6 years ago

As I enjoy so many kinds of cheese myself I completely understand your dilemma.

Freefaller
Professor Quiet
3.3  Freefaller  replied to  epistte @3    6 years ago

Love most cheeses as well, but if I had to pick one it would be aged Gouda 

It Is ME
Masters Guide
7  It Is ME    6 years ago

Used to be a cheese named "Coon" cheese, but I can't find it anymore. Came in a black packaged block. I guess it's a PC thing as to why it disappeared. Maybe it's been renamed and I don't know it yet.

Now it's the sharpest cheese I can find (Cheek Shriveling sharp). "Cracker Barrel reserved" is pretty satisfying.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
7.1  author  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  It Is ME @7    6 years ago

It was named after the producer's surname, and was not a racial slur.

From Wikipedia:

" COON is the trademark of a cheddar cheese  produced by  Warrnambool Cheese and Butter  company in Australia. It was first launched in 1935 by Fred Walker .

LD&D Foods (who also held a stake in the company) were the previous operator of the brand until it was sold back to  WCB  in 2015.

Coon cheese is named after its American creator, Edward William Coon (1871–1934) of Philadelphia , who patented a method, subsequently known as the Cooning process, for fast maturation of cheese via high temperature and humidity. Former manufacturer  Kraft , and later Dairy Farmers  and National Foods , have vigorously defended the trademark."

It's still made and sold in Australia:

coon-5.png

I couldn't find a photo of the black-packaged block, unless it became known as "Cracker Barrel".

It Is ME
Masters Guide
7.1.1  It Is ME  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @7.1    6 years ago
and was not a racial slur

We know that....but others ? Not so much.

I was thinking maybe the black packaged Cracker Barrell was the rename, but wasn't sure. Taste the same.

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
8  Raven Wing    6 years ago

1. Longhorn

2. Sharp Cheddar 

2. Swiss