╌>

Trump Truly Is On A Mission From God!!!

Category:  Op/Ed

Via:  xxjefferson51  •  6 years ago  •  411 comments

Since he got in Trump removed the shackles of big government control from us and by eliminating 800 of Obama’s job-killing regulations he freed us to be the best we can be. He has lowered the business tax from 35% to 21% and lowered the small business tax from 21% to 15% thus causing businesses to hire more and businesses overseas are coming back here to build. U.S. Steel is coming back and building six brand new plants here, car companies are coming back and building plants in North and...

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

In the movie, The Blues Brothers John Belushi and Dan Ackroyd played two blues musicians who said they were “on a mission from God.” Well, I believe Trump is truly on a mission from God to fix this country and get it back on the right track. How else can you explain everything that is happening?

From the first day he and Melania came down that escalator in Trump Tower, the entire media was against him, the entire democrat party was against him, half of the Republican party was against him, they rigged an election to be against him and he still won. After he got in office they threw everything in the book at him and hit him with abuse after abuse including this phony fairy tale of Russian collusion and nothing sticks.

Since he got in Trump removed the shackles of big government control from us and by eliminating 800 of Obama’s job-killing regulations he freed us to be the best we can be.  He has lowered the business tax from 35% to 21% and lowered the small business tax from 21% to 15% thus causing businesses to hire more and businesses overseas are coming back here to build. U.S. Steel is coming back and building six brand new plants here, car companies are coming back and building plants in North and South Carolina, Ohio, Indiana and Pennsylvania. Trump’s policies have created 4 million jobs in 20 months. Obama was minus four million in the same time in his administration. Out of those jobs, 650,000 are manufacturing jobs and 32,000 were just created in October. That means 1000 manufacturing jobs a day. These are the jobs Obama said were never coming back, “What’s Trump going to do? Wave his magic wand?” Obama said sarcastically. Well I guess he found the magic wand because now they are all coming back.

The economy is roaring and the best economy we’ve ever had. African American, Hispanic American and Asian American unemployment is the lowest in history, women ’s unemployment is the lowest in 65 years. Unemployment in general is the lowest in 50 years. More people are working than ever before and there are more jobs available than people looking.  Our GDP has risen to over 4.2% after Obama said we would have to get used to seeing 2.5 % as the new norm.

(Article Continues Below Advertisement)

Trump has issued a massive tax cut where a single person has a $12,000 tax deduction and a married couple has a $25,000 tax deduction and he is issuing another 10% tax deduction for the middle class. Recently 250 companies gave their employees one and two thousand dollar bonuses that Nancy Pelosi called “crumbs” and now the Dems want their crumbs back. Trump also lowered the FICA tax so people will have more money in their paychecks and lowered the tax on all wine and beer products.

Recently Trump had rock and country and soul stars Mike Love from the Beach boys, Kid Rock, Sam Malone from Sam and Dave and country singer John Rich from Big and Rich at the white house to sign legislation that would give them the back royalties they were owed that managers and record companies etc. kept from them.

When Trump went to Asia he was the first president to visit and dine in the Forbidden City and made 300 billion dollars in deals that will benefit both countries.

Before Trump became president China and North Korea were planning on going to war with us, our military was depleted to pre-WW11 status and Kim was firing missiles over Japan and Guam and building nukes. Trump was able to diffuse that situation and met with kim and now he is denuclearizing. Trump also decertified the horrendous Iran deal Obama got us into and froze all Iranian assets and put sanctions on them.

(Article Continues Below Advertisement)

trump-decertifies-iran-nuclear-deal.jpg

Trump is building our military to be the biggest and best yet and has ordered the Pentagon to go ahead with plans for the fifth branch of our military, known as “The Space Force.” He has also arranged for our vets to be able to see their own doctor and the government will pay for it rather than having them wait weeks and months to see a VA doctor. Trump also called the heads of the pharmaceutical companies to have them lower the cost of prescription drugs.

Remember when protestors in past administrations protested against the Keystone pipeline? Trump got it going and created 43,000 jobs because of it. Remember when they protested drilling in Anwar? Trump has them drilling there now.

When Trump has his rallies like he was doing all this and last month he would get tens of thousands attending. So many that they would have giant screens outside for the overflow. When he was in Houston over 100,000  attended. There were 21,000 on the inside and another 80,000 outside watching him on a giant screen.  Last week when he was in Ohio he had a rally at an airport hangar where several thousand attended and they had to fill another hanger for the overflow. He attracts more crowds than most rock stars.

trump-in-alabama.jpg

This is a movement like no other and is unprecedented.  This is only part and partial of over 280 accomplishments Trump has accrued in just 20 months, more than all the presidents put together. Yes, Trump truly is on a mission from God. How else can you explain it otherwise?

cheesrtoallmy-haters.jpg

vetasfortrump.jpg

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
1  seeder  XXJefferson51    6 years ago

“When Trump has his rallies like he was doing all this and last month he would get tens of thousands attending. So many that they would have giant screens outside for the overflow. When he was in Houston over 100,000  attended. There were 21,000 on the inside and another 80,000 outside watching him on a giant screen.  Last week when he was in Ohio he had a rally at an airport hangar where several thousand attended and they had to fill another hanger for the overflow. He attracts more crowds than most rock stars.

trump-in-alabama.jpg

This is a movement like no other and is unprecedented.  This is only part and partial of over 280 accomplishments Trump has accrued in just 20 months, more than all the presidents put together. Yes, Trump truly is on a mission from God. How else can you explain it otherwise?”

cheesrtoallmy-haters.jpg

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
2  seeder  XXJefferson51    6 years ago

Trump is a great American and a great President.  He is likely to keep the Senate for the GOP and keep the losses in the house to a minimum where control will be in doubt.  There will be no big blue wave.  

Galen Marvin Ross
Sophomore Participates
2.2  Galen Marvin Ross  replied to  XXJefferson51 @2    6 years ago
Trump is a great American and a great President.

Trump is a Jerk.

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
2.2.3  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Have Opinion Will Travel @2.2.1    6 years ago

Steve Martin was playing a role.  Trump is a jerk for real.

Skrekk
Sophomore Participates
2.3  Skrekk  replied to  XXJefferson51 @2    6 years ago

The first bit of wonderful election news is that dumb bigot Kim Davis just lost her job and will no longer be allowed to harm LGBT Americans or use her office to impose her Christian sharia laws on everyone else.

So far the high turnout nationwide looks very, very good for the Dems and a total rejection of Trump's racism, bigotry and fear mongering.    A complete rejection of Trumpism and the greedy bigots who support him.

epistte
Junior Guide
2.3.1  epistte  replied to  Skrekk @2.3    6 years ago

I saw that she got her butt tossed out. Karma is sweet.

Gordy327
Professor Expert
2.3.2  Gordy327  replied to  Skrekk @2.3    6 years ago
he first bit of wonderful election news is that dumb bigot Kim Davis just lost her job

It's about time! Good riddance!

Tessylo
Professor Principal
2.3.3  Tessylo  replied to  Skrekk @2.3    6 years ago

Too bad we didn't win the House and the Senate but we got the House baby!

Skrekk
Sophomore Participates
2.3.4  Skrekk  replied to  Tessylo @2.3.3    6 years ago

It's looking like 40 House seats will have flipped to the Dems, the biggest blue wave since Watergate.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
3  JohnRussell    6 years ago

The Democrats have taken control of the House of Representatives, with full subpoena power. Trump is about to catch hell. 

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
3.1  JohnRussell  replied to  JohnRussell @3    6 years ago

Democrats just announced that they will go after Trump's tax returns as soon as they take power. 

livefreeordie
Junior Silent
3.1.1  livefreeordie  replied to  JohnRussell @3.1    6 years ago

A meaningless attempt.

1. Trump has no legal obligation to provide them no matter what Dems try

2. Trump’s returns will show them nothing of interest.  Most of his income on his personal return comes from K-1s which merely indicate how much money he received from profits or negative income from business losses. It will NOT show any detailed info from those businesses.

so keep wasting time on something you will never get

it shows the wisdom of FDR and JFK who also refused to make public their tax returns 

Skrekk
Sophomore Participates
3.1.3  Skrekk  replied to  livefreeordie @3.1.1    6 years ago
Trump has no legal obligation to provide them no matter what Dems try

That depends on what a court will rule.

Trump’s returns will show them nothing of interest.

LOL.

Ender
Professor Principal
3.1.4  Ender  replied to  Skrekk @3.1.3    6 years ago

Yeah but the court stacking will go in overdrive.

Cerenkov
Professor Silent
3.1.5  Cerenkov  replied to  Ender @3.1.4    6 years ago

I don't think the Republicans will do that, but they could...

Skrekk
Sophomore Participates
3.1.6  Skrekk  replied to  Cerenkov @3.1.5    6 years ago
I don't think the Republicans will do that

They already did that by refusing to consider Obama's nominees.

Cerenkov
Professor Silent
3.1.7  Cerenkov  replied to  Skrekk @3.1.6    6 years ago

No they didn't. You are wrong.

Ender
Professor Principal
3.1.8  Ender  replied to  Cerenkov @3.1.5    6 years ago

I think you underestimate them.

Cerenkov
Professor Silent
3.1.9  Cerenkov  replied to  Ender @3.1.8    6 years ago

Nah. I just understand how the Senate works. Most Democrats don't. 

TᵢG
Professor Principal
3.1.10  TᵢG  replied to  JohnRussell @3.1    6 years ago
Democrats just announced that they will go after Trump's tax returns as soon as they take power. 

That is exactly the opposite of what they should do.

The D party should use this opportunity to show the American people that they deserve to lead.    Playing partisan politics is a mistake.   

The R party screwed up on its midterm surge under Obama by failing to deliver on campaign promises.    Pursuing pure partisan negativity rather than working positively for the people would be worse than that.

Ender
Professor Principal
3.1.11  Ender  replied to  Cerenkov @3.1.9    6 years ago

Ah, condescension. Then you would understand it is exactly the only thing they have been trying to do all the last of their working year.

I also understand norms and when they are forsaken. Will never be forgotten.

Ender
Professor Principal
3.1.12  Ender  replied to  TᵢG @3.1.10    6 years ago

I disagree a little. The republicans never seem to lose support. With Pelosi in charge for two years, the republicans will have a shot at taking back the house.

They will do nothing but attack her the whole time and the blind will always vote against their own interests.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
3.1.13  TᵢG  replied to  Ender @3.1.12    6 years ago
I disagree a little.

Not sure how to parse that.   Candidly, do you think it is wise for the D party to go after Trump's tax returns and/or other clearly negative partisan initiatives rather than do positive work for the people per their constitutional obligations?

Ender
Professor Principal
3.1.14  Ender  replied to  TᵢG @3.1.13    6 years ago

Honestly, I think they are screwed either way.

Ender
Professor Principal
3.1.15  Ender  replied to  Ender @3.1.14    6 years ago

Edit. I think it is a lost cause, so I say expose the fraud for what he is.

No matter what, the republicans seem to vote in force. Right now the Democrats have no viable candidate for President. Most republicans vote straight party line.

The way things are going, trump will win again and probably take back the house in 2020.

Most people are that stupid.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
3.1.16  TᵢG  replied to  Ender @3.1.15    6 years ago
Most people are that stupid.

My position is that most of the electorate are apathetic, ill-informed and creatures of habit.

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
3.1.17  seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  Ender @3.1.15    6 years ago

I fully expect Trump to run against the House in 2020.  And to win.  

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
3.1.18  Jack_TX  replied to  Ender @3.1.12    6 years ago
Ah, condescension.

From the guy who says:

the blind will always vote against their own interests.

Republicans never seem to lose support because they have nearly constant help from Democrats saying condescending bullshit like "vote against their own interests". 

lennylynx
Sophomore Quiet
3.1.19  lennylynx  replied to  TᵢG @3.1.13    6 years ago

I disagree completely, how's that?  I will NEVER be ok with normalizing Trump in any way.  The guy is a Russian operative for chrissake.  He is totally, completely and utterly corrupt and self-serving.  Going after Trump as hard as possible is what needs to happen now.  Going after his tax returns is a negative partisan initiative?  Are you fucking kidding me??  Trump is pure evil.  This needs to be recognized, talked about, and the total scumbag needs to be treated like the criminal he is.

Galen Marvin Ross
Sophomore Participates
3.1.22  Galen Marvin Ross  replied to  Kathleen @3.1.20    6 years ago
It sort of equal things out and compromising can be done. This will be the opportunity for both party's to try to work on solutions together instead of working against each other.

I agree, this would be good but, I don't think that either party should have to totally give up their principles simply because the other party feels they should. It's happened in the past, one party feels that cooperation means, "Do it my way or, it won't get done at all" and, the other party has to crawl on hands and, knees to get a simple bill passed, then it gets rejected simply because the other party feels like rejecting it.

cms5
Freshman Quiet
3.1.24  cms5  replied to  TᵢG @3.1.10    6 years ago
The D party should use this opportunity to show the American people that they deserve to lead.    Playing partisan politics is a mistake. 

I agree, but we both know that going after Trump has been their number one priority since he took office. They want his tax returns. I certainly wouldn't want them...how many pages are there...how many attachments...how many of them would even understand them?

Very few of the D's in my area actually had a platform...so, we don't expect much from them at all. I'm sure they prefer it that way.

Galen Marvin Ross
Sophomore Participates
3.1.25  Galen Marvin Ross  replied to  Kathleen @3.1.23    6 years ago
Republicans and Democrats are never going to agree on everything. So let's find out what they agree on and start from there. 

IF they can work together, McConnell kind of made it clear for the past two years he had no intention of working with any Democrat at all and, Trump made it clear that he will give lip service to working with Democrats but, when push comes to shove he will only do what the base wants him to do.

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
3.1.27  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  livefreeordie @3.1.1    6 years ago

They need to be seen whether they are made private or not.

Galen Marvin Ross
Sophomore Participates
3.1.28  Galen Marvin Ross  replied to  Kathleen @3.1.26    6 years ago
Well, instead of saying it can't be done, at least give it a try. Stubbornness will never get anything done on either side. Midterms are like this, nothing really new. 

I'm willing to let them give it a try but, like I said, I don't want them having to move so far to the right that they can't see left, which is were McConnell and, Trump are right now. Remember when Obama was president the Republicans weren't satisfied with getting a part of what they wanted and, letting the Democrats get a part of what they wanted, that is what compromise is, giving a little so, you get a little, the Republicans wanted it all and, told the Democrats to go to hell when it came to what they wanted done, that is why nothing got done.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
3.1.29  JohnRussell  replied to  Galen Marvin Ross @3.1.28    6 years ago

I am seeing too much inference on this forum that people, Democrats , will agree to acquiesce towards normalizing Donald Trump. All that will do is get him re-elected. 

If we come to 2020 with Trump "working with" (and I really put that in quotes) with the congressional Democrats he's going to get re-elected. He'll even have dumb ass Democrats voting for him for cris sake. 

The masses are asleep. This is probably the most embarrassing time in history to be an American , leaving aside slavery. 

TᵢG
Professor Principal
3.1.30  TᵢG  replied to  lennylynx @3.1.19    6 years ago
Going after his tax returns is a negative partisan initiative?  Are you fucking kidding me?? 

No, I am quite serious.

Acting emotionally usually ends poorly.   I am confident the American people are tired of partisans gratuitously going after each other.   Congress is 'supposed' to be acting on behalf of the people.   Given a PotUS is not legally required to disclose his/her tax returns, going after them is a witch hunt - pure negative partisan initiatives.   If the Ds actually do engage in this sidebar they better have good reasons other than 'Trump is corrupt and self-serving.'.   Most of the electorate already know that ... and more.

Trump is pure evil.  This needs to be recognized, talked about, and the total scumbag needs to be treated like the criminal he is.

The electorate has largely decided what they think of Trump.   Until something arises that legally warrants investigation of the PotUS I say shut up and legislate.   The Ds have the House, put that power to productive use.   Do the job you were elected to do - not emotional partisan initiatives.   Show the electorate that they are a party that can achieve productive results for the good of the American people instead of their own partisan interests.

Galen Marvin Ross
Sophomore Participates
3.1.31  Galen Marvin Ross  replied to  JohnRussell @3.1.29    6 years ago
I am seeing too much inference on this forum that people, Democrats , will agree to acquiesce towards normalizing Donald Trump. All that will do is get him re-elected. 

If we come to 2020 with Trump "working with" (and I really put that in quotes) with the congressional Democrats he's going to get re-elected. He'll even have dumb ass Democrats voting for him for cris sake. 

The masses are asleep. This is probably the most embarrassing time in history to be an American , leaving aside slavery. 

I think the "waters" should be tested, I haven't forgotten Trumps saying he was for helping the Dreamers and, Pelosi and, Schumer offering to finance the wall for him but, he turned them down if he had to support the Dreamers.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
3.1.32  Tessylo  replied to    6 years ago
'they really want wealth redistribution something republicans will never go for'

That's all the gop goes for - wealth redistribution - our money in THEIR pockets.  

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
3.1.33  seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  Tessylo @3.1.32    6 years ago

Simply ridiculous.  Those with money didn’t get it by stealing it out of our pockets.  Besides, it’s the democrat party is the actual party of the rich.  

JBB
Professor Principal
3.1.34  JBB  replied to  XXJefferson51 @3.1.33    6 years ago

American wealth was transferred from the many to a few by gop tax policy...

Skrekk
Sophomore Participates
3.1.35  Skrekk  replied to  TᵢG @3.1.13    6 years ago
Candidly, do you think it is wise for the D party to go after Trump's tax returns and/or other clearly negative partisan initiatives rather than do positive work for the people per their constitutional obligations?

I think they should do their oversight job, something the GOP has utterly refused to do in regards to Trump and his nominees.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
3.1.36  TᵢG  replied to  Skrekk @3.1.35    6 years ago

Depends on what they do and how they do it.   

Going after tax records as a top priority is foolish;  a PotUS is not required to disclose tax returns.   

Focus first on popular legislative initiatives.   Show the electorate that the D party is out to do the business of the people.   That does not mean disregard proper investigations, but rather handle as a secondary concern and only for good reason.

Ultimately when a D House assumes power, the headlines should not be about Ds going after Trump's tax returns;  the optics are terrible.   Dumb move IMO.

Skrekk
Sophomore Participates
3.1.37  Skrekk  replied to  TᵢG @3.1.36    6 years ago
Going after tax records as a top priority is foolish;  a PotUS is not required to disclose tax returns.

That should be their very first move to insure that Trump's actions overseas aren't due to his obligations to foreign oligarchs and foreign banks.

epistte
Junior Guide
3.2  epistte  replied to  JohnRussell @3    6 years ago
The Democrats have taken control of the House of Representatives, with full subpoena power. Trump is about to catch hell. 

I hope that the Democratic speaker has more backbone than Pelosi had in 2006. They need to show Trump and the GOP the very same partisanship that he has exhibited in 2017-18. Payback is going to be a bitch. 

epistte
Junior Guide
3.2.2  epistte  replied to  Have Opinion Will Travel @3.2.1    6 years ago
That payback will result in Trump's re-election. That's a nightmare scenario for Dems and the left wing loonies that run the party.

Trump would not be reelected if the election was tonight, Oliver.   This election was a referendum on him and the GOP, and the American people rejected his ideas.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
3.2.3  JohnRussell  replied to  Have Opinion Will Travel @3.2.1    6 years ago

Nah. Dems took over all Great lakes governorships. That means even playing field for future house races. GOP is screwed for the next decade. 

Trump cant win without carrying Great Lakes states like Ohio Mich Penn , and Wis. and thats not gonna happen again. 

He might as well retire now. 

livefreeordie
Junior Silent
3.2.5  livefreeordie  replied to  JohnRussell @3.2.3    6 years ago

Ohio stayed Republican

livefreeordie
Junior Silent
3.2.6  livefreeordie  replied to  epistte @3.2.2    6 years ago

Nonsense. Trump increased his hold in the Senate

Gillium and Abrams defeated in the Governors races

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
3.2.7  JohnRussell  replied to  livefreeordie @3.2.5    6 years ago

You are correct. I misstated that one. 

epistte
Junior Guide
3.2.8  epistte  replied to  livefreeordie @3.2.5    6 years ago

Stupid people believed DeWine's fear mongering.  I voted all blue. 

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
3.2.9  seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  epistte @3.2    6 years ago

And I can’t wait to load the federal judiciary with pro life conservative judges from district courts to appeals courts to the Supreme Court.  

livefreeordie
Junior Silent
3.2.10  livefreeordie  replied to  JohnRussell @3.2.7    6 years ago

Walker has now closed to within 2700 votes in Wisconsin 

lennylynx
Sophomore Quiet
3.2.11  lennylynx  replied to  livefreeordie @3.2.10    6 years ago

Walker's another total piece of shit who shouldn't get a single vote from anyone.

epistte
Junior Guide
3.2.12  epistte  replied to  XXJefferson51 @3.2.9    6 years ago

And I can’t wait to load the federal judiciary with pro life conservative judges from district courts to appeals courts to the Supreme Court

Another religious fantasy that should be kept out of government.  Stop trying to inject your religious beliefs into the lives of others.

Ender
Professor Principal
3.2.13  Ender  replied to  lennylynx @3.2.11    6 years ago

Got that right.

I am getting to the point though, that if pieces of shit like him are what the people want, let them fall down the rabbit hole.

I am sick of them thinking that corporations are better then people. Let them reap what they sow.

Skrekk
Sophomore Participates
3.2.14  Skrekk  replied to  livefreeordie @3.2.10    6 years ago

Right now he's down by 12,000.    All he has left is a partial count in Brown Co, so the odds are that he lost.   That's very, very good news.

Skrekk
Sophomore Participates
3.2.15  Skrekk  replied to  lennylynx @3.2.11    6 years ago
Walker's another total piece of shit who shouldn't get a single vote from anyone.

No surprise that he was raised by a bible-babbling SBC pastor.    It explains why he's so evil.

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
3.2.16  Jack_TX  replied to  epistte @3.2.2    6 years ago
Trump would not be reelected if the election was tonight, Oliver.   This election was a referendum on him and the GOP, and the American people rejected his ideas.

Midterms usually go against the president.  Look at Obama's disaster in 2010.  

epistte
Junior Guide
3.2.17  epistte  replied to  Jack_TX @3.2.16    6 years ago
Midterms usually go against the president.  Look at Obama's disaster in 2010.  

You have a firm grasp of the shockingly obvious.

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
3.2.18  seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  epistte @3.2.17    6 years ago

The same applies to Reagan and Clinton. Bush 43 and Trump increased their party size in the senate in their first mid terms.  As for Trump post mid term, we who now support him are only going to double down on our support for and promotion of his administration and their actions.  

Skrekk
Sophomore Participates
3.2.19  Skrekk  replied to  livefreeordie @3.2.10    6 years ago

Not only did he lose but he pushed through and signed the law which prevents him from asking for a recount.   LOL.     It's very good to see so many of these bigoted morons lose.

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
3.2.20  Jack_TX  replied to  epistte @3.2.17    6 years ago
You have a firm grasp of the shockingly obvious.

And yet it seems to escape you.  

The shockingly obvious fact is that Barack Obama would have lost a 2010 election to Elmer Fudd, so firmly did the American people reject him and his ideas.  

Bill Clinton would have been run out of office on a rail in 1994.  His administration was so unpopular the American people gave the Republicans control of the House for the first time in 40 years.  

Ronald Reagan would not have won re-election in 1982.  The Republicans lost 26 house seats that year, back when California was mostly red and Texas was mostly blue.  

There is a reason presidential terms are not 2 years.  Almost all presidents are less popular two years in than they are when elected.

The remarkable thing is 2018 is that despite all of Trump's shenanigans, Republicans increased their hold in the Senate, and didn't lose the House nearly as badly as Obama or Clinton.

The Trump presidency is shaping up very, very much like the Nixon presidency, and it's worth noting that Nixon was re-elected because the Democrats in their stupidity nominated a hard leftist in 1972.

Gordy327
Professor Expert
3.2.21  Gordy327  replied to  Jack_TX @3.2.20    6 years ago
and it's worth noting that Nixon was re-elected because the Democrats in their stupidity nominated a hard leftist in 1972.

It's also worth noting Nixon was impeached and resigned in 1974. I wonder if history will repeat itself?

Cerenkov
Professor Silent
3.3  Cerenkov  replied to  JohnRussell @3    6 years ago

The Republicans win the Senate. The house is impotent. America has spoken.

epistte
Junior Guide
4  epistte    6 years ago

I hope that the Democratic speaker has more backbone than Pelosi had in 2006. They need to show Trump and the GOP the very same partisanship that he has exhibited in 2017-18. Payback is going to be a bitch. 

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
4.1  JohnRussell  replied to  epistte @4    6 years ago

[deleted]

livefreeordie
Junior Silent
4.2  livefreeordie  replied to  epistte @4    6 years ago

Fortunately with increased numbers in the Senate, Trump can pretty much ignore the House and fight them in court when necessary

we will see more federal judges confirmed and hopefully one or two more SCOTUS Justices

so all in all it wasn’t as bad a night as I feared it might

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
4.2.1  JohnRussell  replied to  livefreeordie @4.2    6 years ago

dem govs in mich, ill, leading in wisc. democrats picking up governorships is a big deal with a census year coming in 2020. These governors will be in office for redistricting after the census

greatly helps dems in future house elections

-

We also learned tonight that a lot of ignorant rural folk will support a piece of shit like Donald Trump. 

What a disgrace to this country. 

livefreeordie
Junior Silent
4.2.2  livefreeordie  replied to  JohnRussell @4.2.1    6 years ago

You leftists simply can’t understand how much we hate the ideology of the Democrats

A lot of those folks are like me with education and who had or still have professional careers

epistte
Junior Guide
4.2.3  epistte  replied to  livefreeordie @4.2.2    6 years ago
A lot of those folks are like me with education and who had or still have professional careers

You oppose education and critical thinking.

livefreeordie
Junior Silent
4.2.4  livefreeordie  replied to  epistte @4.2.3    6 years ago

Total lie. I hold two degrees and my sons both have degrees.

critical thinking is what those who actually know me consider one of my qualities 

epistte
Junior Guide
4.2.5  epistte  replied to  livefreeordie @4.2.4    6 years ago
Total lie. I hold two degrees and my sons both have degrees. critical thinking is what those who actually know me consider one of my qualities 

Critical thinking is the opposite of religious belief.

livefreeordie
Junior Silent
4.2.7  livefreeordie  replied to  epistte @4.2.5    6 years ago

Actually they can go hand in hand but you seem to only focus on religious belief as if it’s the only thing I think about.

i have run companies in the US and Asia.  I have held elective office as a city Parks Commissioner to give back to the community. I have held a seat on a local school board.

i have been involved in politics at all levels since 1960

i worked with Congress, NASA, and the military on research, development, and production of systems and hardware for our defense, aerospace, space programs, and transportation systems. I did so both as an engineer and then as an executive.

Ender
Professor Principal
4.2.8  Ender  replied to  livefreeordie @4.2.7    6 years ago

A very political preacher. I guess one does not believe in separation of church and state.

livefreeordie
Junior Silent
4.2.9  livefreeordie  replied to  Ender @4.2.8    6 years ago

Ministers have been involved with our government since the Revolutionary War. They helped write and ratify the Constitution.

there is NO authority to ban ministers from our Constitutional right to speak out on politics or to be involved

Democrats have had no problem putting liberal priests or ministers in elected office. They have had no problem with leftist Dems running for president like Jesse Jackson or Al Sharpton.  

You leftists are hypocrites on this subject.

Ender
Professor Principal
4.2.10  Ender  replied to  livefreeordie @4.2.9    6 years ago

So do you believe in separation of church and state?

Skrekk
Sophomore Participates
4.2.11  Skrekk  replied to  livefreeordie @4.2.9    6 years ago
there is NO authority to ban ministers from our Constitutional right to speak out on politics or to be involved

A real shame, that.    We need to find a more efficient way to keep your bigoted sharia laws out of our secular government.

epistte
Junior Guide
4.2.12  epistte  replied to  livefreeordie @4.2.9    6 years ago
Ministers have been involved with our government since the Revolutionary War. They helped write and ratify the Constitution.

Democrats have had no problem putting liberal priests or ministers in elected office. They have had no problem with leftist Dems running for president like Jesse Jackson or Al Sharpton.  

You leftists are hypocrites on this subject.

I voted for a Methodist minister in the past but he was very careful to keep religious belief out of his secular duties. I'd vote for him again if I had the chance.  He understood and embraced the strict separation of church and state.

epistte
Junior Guide
4.2.13  epistte  replied to  livefreeordie @4.2.7    6 years ago
i worked with Congress, NASA, and the military on research, development, and production of systems and hardware for our defense, aerospace, space programs, and transportation systems. I did so both as an engineer and then as an executive.

When did you become an engineer, because in the past you said that you were a tax attoney?

Skrekk
Sophomore Participates
4.2.14  Skrekk  replied to  epistte @4.2.13    6 years ago
When did you become an engineer, because in the past you said that you were a tax attoney?

Larry is an astronaut, a pastor, an underwear model, an international businessman, an accountant and submarine commander.    He's a very accomplished theocrat.

epistte
Junior Guide
4.2.15  epistte  replied to  Skrekk @4.2.14    6 years ago
Larry is an astronaut, a pastor, an underwear model, an international businessman, an accountant and submarine commander.    He's a very accomplished theocrat.

You forgot economist, streetcorner philosopher, and fertilizer salesman.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
4.2.16  TᵢG  replied to  livefreeordie @4.2.4    6 years ago
critical thinking is what those who actually know me consider one of my qualities 

jrSmiley_87_smiley_image.gif

Tessylo
Professor Principal
4.2.17  Tessylo  replied to  Skrekk @4.2.14    6 years ago

He's also a constitutional scholar, snort!

livefreeordie
Junior Silent
4.2.18  livefreeordie  replied to  epistte @4.2.13    6 years ago

I never said I was a tax attorney. I was in Aerospace for approximately 20 years

i own a tax preparation and bookkeeping business which I’ve run from home for 16 years.

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
4.2.19  seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  livefreeordie @4.2.18    6 years ago

Way to stand your ground against four at once. You are a great American and don’t let any progressive tell you otherwise.  

Skrekk
Sophomore Participates
4.2.20  Skrekk  replied to  livefreeordie @4.2.18    6 years ago
i own a tax preparation and bookkeeping business which I’ve run from home for 16 years.

Is Wesley Snipes one of your proud clients?

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
4.2.21  Jack_TX  replied to  epistte @4.2.5    6 years ago
Critical thinking is the opposite of religious belief.

Ricidulously myopic view.  Quite ironic, when you think about it, which I doubt you will.

Critical thinking demands the consideration of all possible outcomes.  It also demands acceptance of the idea that information exists outside the realm of one's own current awareness.

Gordy327
Professor Expert
4.2.22  Gordy327  replied to  Jack_TX @4.2.21    6 years ago
Critical thinking demands the consideration of all possible outcomes.  It also demands acceptance of the idea that information exists outside the realm of one's own current awareness.

Critical thinking also takes into consideration of all available evidence and logical analysis. It doesn't mean one should make something up just to explain something else. Religious belief is essentially reduced to something along the lines of "because God," and that's it. It doesn't incorporate or encourage further analysis or question. Anyone who thinks critically would not be satisfied with that particular answer.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
4.2.23  TᵢG  replied to  Jack_TX @4.2.21    6 years ago

Agreed.   But it is not thinking critically to hold as true (possible, yes - true, no) that which is not evidenced.   That is more like wishful thinking.

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
4.2.24  Jack_TX  replied to  TᵢG @4.2.23    6 years ago
But it is not thinking critically to hold as true (possible, yes - true, no) that which is not evidenced.   That is more like wishful thinking.

Religious belief is not without evidence.  That's a bit preposterous.  Indeed most religions developed as theories of how to explain natural phenomenon, also known as "evidence". 

Gordy327
Professor Expert
4.2.25  Gordy327  replied to  Jack_TX @4.2.24    6 years ago
Religious belief is not without evidence.  That's a bit preposterous. 

Really? What evidence is there to support religious beliefs or claims, other than mere belief?

Indeed most religions developed as theories of how to explain natural phenomenon, also known as "evidence

Theory is the wrong word to use here. Religions probably developed as a means of explaining natural phenomenon (ex: Zeus threw lightning bolts, hence we see lightning, ect.). But there was no evidence for it. Fortunately nowadays, science allows us to explain and understand natural phenomenon through actual empirical evidence.

Phoenyx13
Sophomore Silent
4.2.26  Phoenyx13  replied to  Jack_TX @4.2.24    6 years ago
Indeed most religions developed as theories of how to explain natural phenomenon, also known as "evidence". 

natural phenomenon is only evidence of - natural phenomenon.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
4.2.27  TᵢG  replied to  Jack_TX @4.2.24    6 years ago
Religious belief is not without evidence. 

The beliefs or stories from other human beings is not evidence.   So what evidence is there to support the belief in the biblical God?

Indeed most religions developed as theories of how to explain natural phenomenon, also known as "evidence". 

LOL.   Yes, Thor is the thunder 'theory'.   Gods clearly were invented as hypotheses to explain natural phenomena.   Are you suggesting that an hypothesis is to be taken as evidence or that an hypothesis is true simply because it can list the evidence that inspired it?

You know the difference between a scientific theory (well-evidenced, logical, formal and has thus far survived motivated challenge) and an hypothesis (or speculation).    Why do you even attempt to suggest that pure speculation such as a volcanic eruption means Vulcan is angry is akin to a theory based on evidence?

Come on man. 

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
4.2.28  Jack_TX  replied to  TᵢG @4.2.27    6 years ago
So what evidence is there to support the belief in the biblical God?

Exactly as much as there is to support belief that intelligent life exists on other planets.  

Gods clearly were invented as hypotheses to explain natural phenomena. 

Yes.  Glad we agree.

Are you suggesting that an hypothesis is to be taken as evidence or that an hypothesis is true simply because it can list the evidence that inspired it?

Please cite my saying so.  Or...alternatively...accept that I meant what I said and not what you imagine I must have intended.

You know the difference between a scientific theory (well-evidenced, logical, formal and has thus far survived motivated challenge) and an hypothesis (or speculation).

Yes.  Hence my use of the word "hypothesis". 

Why do you even attempt to suggest that pure speculation such as a volcanic eruption means Vulcan is angry is akin to a theory based on evidence?

Because at it's inception, it was.  It was based on exactly as much evidence as the hypothesis of spontaneous generation, which was widely accepted as fact for several centuries.  It was based on exactly as much evidence as the concept of dark matter, or the idea that the planets are held aloft in celestial spheres....which was the conclusion of the greatest scientific minds of that day.

It is a fascinating piece of irony that those who claim to eschew religion as 'faith without evidence' are so quick to develop a religious objection to a concept they cannot disprove. 

TᵢG
Professor Principal
4.2.29  TᵢG  replied to  Jack_TX @4.2.28    6 years ago
Exactly as much as there is to support belief that intelligent life exists on other planets.  

Agreed.   Thus one should not believe  (hold as true) that intelligent life does exist.   Accordingly, if you are following that reasoning, one should not believe (hold as true) that a god exists.

Both are possibilities.   Best one can do is try to compute the probability of existence for either.

Yes.  Glad we agree.

Me too.   

Please cite my saying so.  Or...alternatively...accept that I meant what I said and not what you imagine I must have intended.

What you wrote was unclear.   Thus I asked you a qualifying question rather than simply presume .   Did you not recognize the qualifying question?   Responding with snark turns discussion into adversarial engagement.  To what end?

Given you refuse to qualify your words, I presume you mean that the evidence of religious belief is the natural phenomenon it explains .  Something like, a tree exists therefore God made it?   Assuming I guessed correctly,  the problem with your logic is that existence of life forms, non-life forms, natural forces, etc. are evidence only that these exist.    How they came to exist is not evidenced merely by their existence.  (Note that evolution also is not evidenced merely by existence; the evidence of evolution is profoundly deeper and more complex.)  And clearly when looking at religions such as those falling under Christianity, the existence of natural phenomena in no way evidences the highly attributed description of the Christian God nor any of the stories regarding this God.

But maybe you had another meaning.   Hard to tell.

Yes.  Hence my use of the word "hypothesis". 

You used the word 'theory'.  I used the word 'hypothesis' as an implicit correction.  Here is what you wrote:

Jack_TX  @ 4.2.24  - Religious belief is not without evidence.  That's a bit preposterous.  Indeed most religions developed as theories of how to explain natural phenomenon, also known as "evidence". 

Not making this stuff up Jack.   Just trying to get a clear understanding of where you stand.

Because at it's inception, it was. 

It was an hypothesis (at the very best), not theory.   Speculation based on evidence leads to an hypothesis, not a theory.   

It was based on exactly as much evidence as the hypothesis of spontaneous generation, ...

Now you are using the word hypothesis when you just finished using theory.   See the problem?   There is a monster difference between those two concepts.

Today we actually have a theory of evolution and it is a bona fide theory of empirical science.   Highly corroborated, challenged and evidenced.   Compare that to the religious hypothesis of creation (to explain the species of life).   There is not a shred of evidence supporting that hypothesis (arguably the evidence contradicts it).   How can you possibly compare the two with a straight face?

It is a fascinating piece of irony that those who claim to eschew religion as 'faith without evidence' are so quick to develop a religious objection to a concept they cannot disprove. 

Religion does indeed require belief sans evidence.  You have not provided a single item of evidence supporting any religion.   I have no idea what you think you have demonstrated to make such a bold closing statement, but whatever is in your mind did not successfully make it into your post.

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
4.2.30  seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  TᵢG @4.2.29    6 years ago

Secular humanist atheism is itself a religion and it’s adherents cling to their dogma as bitterly as someone said we cling to our God and our guns. 

Dismayed Patriot
Professor Quiet
4.2.31  Dismayed Patriot  replied to  XXJefferson51 @4.2.30    6 years ago
Secular humanist atheism is itself a religion and it’s adherents cling to their dogma as bitterly as someone said we cling to our God and our guns.

When was the last time a secular humanist atheist knocked on your door trying to spread their ideology and "save" the masses?

Out of all the dozens of churches you likely pass daily or weekly, how many of those tax exempt locations were run by secular humanist atheists?

When was the last time your child brought home an art project inspired by secular humanist atheists?

Secular humanist atheism is a religion like not collecting stamps is a hobby.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
4.2.32  TᵢG  replied to  XXJefferson51 @4.2.30    6 years ago

Talk about coming from left field.

That comment has absolutely nothing to do with what we were discussing.

Worse, it is nothing more than an ill-conceived claim with zero supporting facts or logic.

epistte
Junior Guide
4.2.33  epistte  replied to  Dismayed Patriot @4.2.31    6 years ago
When was the last time a secular humanist atheist knocked on your door trying to spread their ideology and "save" the masses?

Out of all the dozens of churches you likely pass daily or weekly, how many of those tax exempt locations were run by secular humanist atheists?

When was the last time your child brought home an art project inspired by secular humanist atheists?

Us nasty Humanists are not very organized. We do need to work on our recruiting effort but because we aren't a group there isn't much funding for such work. 

Secular humanist atheism is a religion like not collecting stamps is a hobby.

I also don't collect old cars, but I do have a very large collection of books without pages.

Gordy327
Professor Expert
4.2.34  Gordy327  replied to  TᵢG @4.2.32    6 years ago
Talk about coming from left field.

I'm thinking more Twilight Zone

Worse, it is nothing more than an ill-conceived claim with zero supporting facts or logic.

In other words, it's his standard claims and BS. Got it.

That comment has absolutely nothing to do with what we were discussing.

That's because when he's cornered by logic and/or has nothing of substance to contribute, he tries to dodge or change directions. it seems to be a pattern of behavior.

Phoenyx13
Sophomore Silent
4.2.35  Phoenyx13  replied to  TᵢG @4.2.32    6 years ago
Worse, it is nothing more than an ill-conceived claim with zero supporting facts or logic

it boils down to the very childish response of "i know you are, but what am i ?"

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
4.2.36  Jack_TX  replied to  TᵢG @4.2.29    6 years ago
Agreed.   Thus one should not believe (hold as true) that intelligent life does exist.   Accordingly, if you are following that reasoning, one should not believe (hold as true) that a god exists.
Both are possibilities.   Best one can do is try to compute the probability of existence for either.

A critical thinker would not rule out the existence of either.

What you wrote was unclear. 

Not if you just read it at face value.

Given you refuse to qualify your words, I presume you mean that the evidence of religious belief is the natural phenomenon it explains.  Something like, a tree exists therefore God made it?

No, the other way round.  Humans have always sought explanation for the unkown.  Why does the mountain suddenly spew lava?  Why does the calm sea turn to storm?  Why does the sun rise and set?  Why does it rain or why does it not rain for years on end?  Why does one army win a battle or why is one child born with a defect?  

These questions were the genesis of most primitive religions.  People were responding to the physical evidence they saw and hypothesizing about explanations.

How can you possibly compare the two with a straight face?

Please cite me doing so.  This is you assuming, presuming, and guessing....again, while claiming that incredibly simple statements are unclear...simply because you refuse to accept them as they are.  It appears as though you're looking for a specific discussion and can't understand that it isn't developing.

Religion does indeed require belief sans evidence.

How long did we believe Fermat's last theorem without actual proof?  How long did scientists accept the "fact" of celestial spheres?  How many doctors prescribed leeches for patients?   Looks like science may be a bit of a religion of its own.

You have not provided a single item of evidence supporting any religion. 

Was that some sort of requirement?

I have no idea what you think you have demonstrated to make such a bold closing statement, but whatever is in your mind did not successfully make it into your post.

It seems highly unlikely a person of your educational background could have missed it.  But I guess introspection is difficult for everyone. 

You completely denounce something you can't disprove....in the name of science.  And you don't see irony in that.....   

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
4.2.37  sandy-2021492  replied to  Jack_TX @4.2.36    6 years ago

We don't.

People were responding to the physical evidence they saw and hypothesizing about explanations.

They were assigning causes for those phenomena without any real reason for doing so other than their own imaginations.

You completely denounce

TiG has stated repeatedly that he is an agnostic atheist.  He does not believe that there is a god, based on the lack of evidence, but is open to the possibility, should evidence be produced.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
4.2.38  TᵢG  replied to  Jack_TX @4.2.36    6 years ago

Correct.   

These questions were the genesis of most primitive religions.  People were responding to the physical evidence they saw and hypothesizing about explanations.

Correct.   There has been no disagreement that religions arose from people inventing explanations for observed phenomena.   But an explanation for observed phenomena is at the very best an hypothesis.   It is not a scientific explanation - it is not a theory.

Please cite me doing so.  

I laid it out in my last post!  You conflate the word theory with hypothesis.   You discuss the two interchangeably.    Religious explanations are not theories - they are mere hypotheses.   

How long did we believe Fermat's last theorem without actual proof? 

Until it was mathematically proved anyone who accepted it as formally proved was mistaken.  Not much of a point unless you are trying to suggest that people make mistakes.  If so, given.  Beyond that, this is an example in mathematics, not empirical science.  Theorems and scientific theories are quite different creatures.  (Strange example to open with.)

How long did scientists accept the "fact" of celestial spheres? 

You are reaching back to pre-science.  Where people simply invented explanations for observations (they had little choice).  Why not pull out examples from alchemy too?  If you wish to make the point that ancient people were naive (by our standards) I agree.  By science I am talking about the application of the modern scientific method.   Celestial spheres is as much science as ancient Hebrew looking at the night sky and explaining the moon as the night light to match the sun which is the day light.   Or ancient Romans deeming a volcanic eruption the anger of Vulcan.   One can observe reality and then dream up all sorts of explanations.   That is the problem we are discussing, right?   The distinction between objective scientific theory (formal, falsifiable, verified, predictive well-challenged explanations) and mere imagined explanations.

Now, another answer (a different perspective) is this.   The process of science is one in which we move from poor to a better understanding of reality.   It is a self-correcting process and, critically, it is one in which we actually progress.   This is another stark difference when compared to religion.   Religion asserts an explanation as truth and then seeks to preserve that assertion over time.   Science follows the evidence to where it leads and happily discards that which is incorrect when new evidence arises.   The celestial spheres hypothesis was discarded by the scientific process.

How many doctors prescribed leeches for patients?

If you wish to make the point that ancient people were superstitious (as well as naive) then I agree with that too.   Again, not what we are debating, right?   

You seem to want to dilute the meaning of science and scientific theory from what we started with (modern scientific theories such as biochemical evolution).    Given you are trying to include ancient naive practices as part of modern science (again, what we were discussion) I suppose this means you really do not have much of an argument to make.

Was that some sort of requirement?

You made the claim that religious beliefs are based on evidence just as modern scientific theories are based on evidence - as if to equate the two.    ( Are you going to deny this too? )

You completely denounce something you can't disprove....in the name of science. 

Where did this come from?   An entirely non sequitur claim out of thin air?   What did I 'completely denounce'?    Where?  When?

TᵢG
Professor Principal
4.2.39  TᵢG  replied to  sandy-2021492 @4.2.37    6 years ago
Jack @4.2.36 - You completely denounce something you can't disprove....in the name of science.

What do you think Jack is talking about here Sandy?  Honestly this makes no sense to me.   What does Jack claim I 'denounced'?

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
4.2.40  sandy-2021492  replied to  TᵢG @4.2.39    6 years ago

I'm at a loss, too.

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
4.2.41  Jack_TX  replied to  sandy-2021492 @4.2.37    6 years ago
They were assigning causes for those phenomena without any real reason for doing so other than their own imaginations.

Which is also how plenty of scientific progress begins.

user image
Freshman Silent
4.2.42    replied to  Jack_TX @4.2.41    6 years ago
Which is also how plenty of scientific progress begins.

E.A                                                  BINGO!!!

No Re Ligion No Faith No Hope = NO SCIENCE!!!

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
4.2.43  Jack_TX  replied to  TᵢG @4.2.38    6 years ago
Correct.   There has been no disagreement that religions arose from people inventing explanations for observed phenomena.

OK.  So religion is not "without evidence".   Excellent.

That was it.

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
4.2.44  sandy-2021492  replied to  Jack_TX @4.2.43    6 years ago

Invention is not evidence.

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
4.2.45  Jack_TX  replied to  sandy-2021492 @4.2.44    6 years ago

Didn't say it was. 

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
4.2.46  sandy-2021492  replied to  Jack_TX @4.2.45    6 years ago

Then I think we disagree on what we consider to be evidence.

I don't see the existence of volcanoes as evidence of Pele, for example.

user image
Freshman Silent
4.2.47    replied to  @4.2.42    6 years ago
No Re Ligion No Faith No Hope = NO SCIENCE!!!

E.A   See Periodic Table, Now Think how many Elements where assumed to exist long before they  " detected " some are not " seen " and might never be for they exist in Picoseconds only!

So if " Seeing is Believing " where does that places Chemistry, Astronomy, and even Mathematics?

Gordy327
Professor Expert
4.2.48  Gordy327  replied to  @4.2.47    6 years ago
where does that places Chemistry, Astronomy, and even Mathematics?

Firmly within the realm of actual concrete science and reality. Myths like god/s and such, not so much.

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
4.2.49  Jack_TX  replied to  sandy-2021492 @4.2.46    6 years ago
Then I think we disagree on what we consider to be evidence. I don't see the existence of volcanoes as evidence of Pele, for example.

We're not talking about what you see as evidence.  We're talking about what THEY would have seen as evidence. 

Polynesians guessing about a fire-god is no different than Aristotle guessing about planetary motion or some Chinese wise man guessing about stabbing needles in an injured person to relieve pain or a 20th century physicist conjecturing about light as particles instead of waves.  All of those things start with "what if it works like this?"

So let's say you have a tribe of primitives somewhere in 2000 BC whose village is devastated by flood.  Somebody hypothesizes that there must be a river god who is angry and demands to be appeased.  The next year, the people sacrifice a chicken to the river god, and lo and behold.....no flood.  They repeat this process for 20 years....and still no flood.  They conclude that the river god theory must be correct, and keep sacrificing chickens.

That is a conclusion based on evidence. Full stop.  Does it conform with modern scientific method?  No.  But it's not without evidence.  

TᵢG
Professor Principal
4.2.50  TᵢG  replied to  Jack_TX @4.2.43    6 years ago
OK.  So religion is not "without evidence".   Excellent.

You do not understand the difference between observed phenomena and scientific evidence?    jrSmiley_87_smiley_image.gif     No wonder you think religion is based on evidence.   

Scientific evidence is at a minimum observed phenomena but it goes well beyond that.  It is observed phenomena that (at the very least) demonstrably  supports the hypothesis  (the speculated explanation) in question.  Observed phenomena does not automatically constitute evidence of a particular hypothesis and certainly not scientific evidence.   By support we mean that the evidence narrows the possibilities to the point where the hypothesis is the, or at least one of a few, most likely possibilities.    (The concept of following the evidence to where it leads .)   Without this concept of demonstrable support, you do not have evidence for your hypothesis - you simply have an observation.  This leaves your hypothesis as nothing more than wild speculation.  A leap of faith.

Simple illustration:

You observe a circular depression filled with water (a pond) - an observed phenomenon.   You hypothesize that the depression was caused by a rounded-base alien spaceship that has since departed.   Is this observed phenomenon  evidence of an extraterrestrial visit?

Why not?

As noted upfront, religious beliefs are naive, highly speculative explanations of observations.   When faced with unexplained natural phenomena such as thunder, lightning, famine, floods, volcanoes, etc. human beings have historically invented gods.   And of course existential questions are resolved by creator gods.   Anything observed (including our own existence) that could not be logically explained was ultimately explained by religious views based on powerful gods.

When someone asks for evidence supporting a religious view, that is not a request to list observation(s) which triggered ancient people to dream up some supernatural explanation.   It is asking for (at the very least) formal, repeatable observations that show the religious view as the most likely hypothesis .   And, indeed, if one equates a religious view with a scientific theory (not simply an hypothesis) the formal requirements for said evidence are at a substantially higher level.

What is the evidence that shows the Christian God - an omnipotent, omniscient, omnipresent, perfect, loving, eternal, first-cause entity - created everything?

TᵢG
Professor Principal
4.2.51  TᵢG  replied to  Jack_TX @4.2.49    6 years ago
We're not talking about what you see as evidence.  We're talking about what THEY would have seen as evidence. 

That is equivocation.   You are trying to dilute the concept of evidence to mere observation.   

Boo.  jrSmiley_92_smiley_image.png    

Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו
Junior Participates
4.2.52  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו  replied to  livefreeordie @4.2    6 years ago
Fortunately with increased numbers in the Senate, Trump can pretty much ignore the House and fight them in court when necessary

You really don't know how Congress works, do you.  Outside of ratification of treaties and confirmations of  judges and cabinet members the Senate doesn't have much stand-alone power.  Every law needs passage in both houses no matter which house it originates.  And all spending and revenue bills MUST begin in the House.  IOW, that's where the power of the purse lies.  Add to that, the House has at least as much subpoena power as the Senate.  And after the blow-out republicans suffered in the House this month and the fact that in 2020 it will be republicans defending 22 of the 34  senate seats as dems--i.e. the reverse of what made it so hard for dems this year--republican senators in at least a half dozen of those states that went blue this year will be thinking of their careers more than running cover for Trump.  

Junior Participates
4.2.53  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו  replied to  @4.2.47    6 years ago

Again, this is why I'm always so delighted to find your notions on science and this one might be a classic.  Let's get to the meat, shall we?

" some are not " seen " and might never be for they exist in Picoseconds only!

I suppose you used "seen" to suggest the "some" were not seen by the naked eye but, of course, they were seen by instruments (those are things designed to detect, e.g., very small things like atoms and even subatomic particles usually by looking for and finding the effects on other atoms or particles).  Suggest you look up the general subject of detection of elements for some basics.   And, of course, astronomy was born out of being able to literally look at the stars and planets and that's still the way a lot of astronomy is done although now the best telescopes are out in space with no atmosphere to contend with. Of course there are other ways of detecting distant stars and planets that do not involve "seeing" them directly at all.  And mathematics is fundamentally an abstract construct.  Yes, we say we "see the math" but what that really means is we are merely looking at  the numbers, symbols and formulas that were created to express mathematical concepts and truths.  Finally, for those elements that only exist for the briefest of moments the point is that they do exist.  

Again, keep those comments coming, EA.  They are a welcome source of comic relief.  

Phoenyx13
Sophomore Silent
4.2.54  Phoenyx13  replied to  Jack_TX @4.2.49    6 years ago
So let's say you have a tribe of primitives somewhere in 2000 BC whose village is devastated by flood.  Somebody hypothesizes that there must be a river god who is angry and demands to be appeased.  The next year, the people sacrifice a chicken to the river god, and lo and behold.....no flood.  They repeat this process for 20 years....and still no flood.  They conclude that the river god theory must be correct, and keep sacrificing chickens.

and if a religion is created out of that situation you described - you are stating that the religion is based on evidence ? ....of a flood ? .... observed phenomena is simply evidence of ... observed phenomena
if a religion is created out of your situation - it's not based on any evidence at all and there's no proof whatsoever of their religious god they've created.

epistte
Junior Guide
4.2.55  epistte  replied to  Jack_TX @4.2.49    6 years ago
So let's say you have a tribe of primitives somewhere in 2000 BC whose village is devastated by flood.  Somebody hypothesizes that there must be a river god who is angry and demands to be appeased.  The next year, the people sacrifice a chicken to the river god, and lo and behold.....no flood.  They repeat this process for 20 years....and still no flood.  They conclude that the river god theory must be correct, and keep sacrificing chickens. That is a conclusion based on evidence. Full stop.  Does it conform with modern scientific method?  No.  But it's not without evidence.  

A correlation does not prove causation fallacy is not empirical evidence.  The villagers can emotionally link the sacrificing of chickens to the lack of a flood but that does not mean that the action in question is causative.  Your statement is just more proof that religious belief is based on sloppy thinking and emotions. Many people want easy, happy answers to life's problems and religious belief is there to give it to them, but that does not mean that religion is a positive force in society and that it should be endorsed.

Dismayed Patriot
Professor Quiet
4.2.56  Dismayed Patriot  replied to  Jack_TX @4.2.49    6 years ago
That is a conclusion based on evidence. Full stop.  Does it conform with modern scientific method?  No.  But it's not without evidence. 

That is a good example of how modern religion originated, aka "superstitions". A flawed conclusion made based on incomplete limited evidence and an overly strong desire to fill in the blanks. Humans hate to be afraid, and there's nothing the masses fear more than the unknown. Staring into the depths of the sea or out into the heavens allowed their imaginations to wild inventing all sorts of fantasies to explain the limited evidence they had. Dragons were based on dinosaur bones, sea monsters on whale carcasses and giant squid remains, unicorns based on narwhals or possibly some horned deer in Africa. Personally I think it's an evolved trait we learned while still living in the trees, we learned to fear the dark and imagine it's a jaguar or other predator lurking around every dark corner. That turned into religion as man stared into the darkness of human past and our unexplained origins. We invented our beginnings more times than we can count, thousands upon thousands of Gods and goddesses believed in and worshiped by our ancestors going all the way back to the beginning of recorded history and beyond.

So as you say, it's not "without evidence", religion has always used certain physical certainties and proclaimed them to be evidence of their brand of faith. But do we still want to kill the chicken to stop the flood when we know that it didn't have any effect? Now that we're able to access so much more truth and facts behind the physical world we can't pretend a T-Rex tooth came from a fire breathing dragon, and we can't pretend that killing a chicken prevented flooding. Doing such will just put us at more danger believing we had protected from a flood when in reality it did nothing but appease the superstitious. We should have been studying the flood patterns, weather warnings and maybe invest in flood barriers or better drainage, you know, real solutions.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
4.2.57  TᵢG  replied to  Jack_TX @4.2.49    6 years ago

@4.2.24 you first tried to equate observed phenomena with "evidence":  

Jack @4.2.24 - Religious belief is not without evidence.  That's a bit preposterous.  Indeed most religions developed as theories of how to explain natural phenomenon, also known as "evidence"

And I immediately agreed that religious ideas were indeed formulated based on observed phenomena:

TiG @4.2.27Gods clearly were invented as hypotheses to explain natural phenomena.   

Basically, observation lead to wild speculation.   Speculation happens in science too (but it is just scaffolding).   Scientists observe anomalies and speculate (imagine) plausible explanations (hypotheses).   For each considered hypothesis the scientist will seek corroborating evidence.   Without this evidence the hypothesis is tabled or discarded.

In contrast you offer a River God hypothesis - speculation on why the river flooded.   Here you have an hypothesis but not a shred of evidence that there is a River God and certainly none that support a River God causing a flood out of anger.   It is nothing but an unsubstantiated fantasy tale.

But you offer this as an example of evidence.    I am laughing.

But worse, my position has always been that there is no evidence to support religious claims.   By evidence I am (as always) talking about that which meets the criteria of the scientific method.   And I offered a means for you to show that religious views are based on evidence (your claim - and one that was not qualified by time period) by going to the root claim of the super majority of worldwide religions:

TiG @4.2.50What is the evidence that shows the Christian God - an omnipotent, omniscient, omnipresent, perfect, loving, eternal, first-cause entity - created everything?

If you apply your feeble observation argument your proposed 'evidence' would be something like:  we exist so we are evidence of God the creator.

What is the problem with such a response?

epistte
Junior Guide
4.2.58  epistte  replied to  Jack_TX @4.2.21    6 years ago

You continue to make excuses where your god can still exist, despite all evidence to the contrary. 

Logic cannot exist if you automatically create a possibly or a loophole of something existing outside of our own existence as an alternative.  We can only consider what we know so the fact that something may exist is not evidence. It's a possibility that cannot be part of the logical solution.  Math and the sciences could not exist in your scenario because there is always something that we may not know, but that doesn't mean that what we do know is wrong, merely because we may not have all of the possible answers. 

I shouldn't have to say this but you have created an argument from ignorance logical fallacy.   

Junior Participates
4.2.59  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו  replied to  Jack_TX @4.2.49    6 years ago
But it's not without evidence. 

If it turns out to be based on faulty assumptions or reasoning it's not evidence.  It becomes opinion.......or, often, religion. 

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
5  JohnRussell    6 years ago

It looks like it's gonna be a mini blue wave in the House. Possibly more than a mini. 

lennylynx
Sophomore Quiet
5.1  lennylynx  replied to  JohnRussell @5    6 years ago

The only thing that would have made me feel better about where we are, is if there was a HUGE blue wave.  Even after Trump turning out to be every bit as horrible as we feared, a healthy chunk of the country approves of the absolute horror show in the White House, and chooses to ignore the painfully obvious and extremely serious corruption.  America will never be the same again.  We will be able to fix some of the damage Trump inflicts on the country, but some will be permanent. 

Junior Participates
5.2  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו  replied to  JohnRussell @5    6 years ago
It looks like it's gonna be a mini blue wave in the House. Possibly more than a mini. 

Your clairvoyance is confirmed.  It could go as high as a 39 seat pick-up when CA is finished counting. 

livefreeordie
Junior Silent
6  livefreeordie    6 years ago

McCaskill has now lost in Missouri so the Republicans may pick up 4-5 seats in the Senate

Junior Participates
6.1  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו  replied to  livefreeordie @6    6 years ago
McCaskill has now lost in Missouri so the Republicans may pick up 4-5 seats in the Senate

It now looks like a max of 2 (or only 1 if Nelson wins in FL).  So not at all the blow-out Rs were hoping for and makes getting control of the Senate very much an achievable goal in 2 years. 

livefreeordie
Junior Silent
7  livefreeordie    6 years ago

Trump can now run in 2020 that Democrats obstructed any attempt to make America even better.

Looks like Trump is now virtually assured of being re-elected

Skrekk
Sophomore Participates
7.1  Skrekk  replied to  livefreeordie @7    6 years ago

LOL.....he couldn't even win a plurality of votes the first time and now far more people loath him.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
7.2  JohnRussell  replied to  livefreeordie @7    6 years ago

Trump's re-election is far less likely. One reason is because the House investigations will show he has run a corrupt administration and that he is personally corrupt. 

Plus he has never got a plurality even, as Shrek said, what he does has is an army of ignorant folk from the sticks. 

We do have a civil war going on, but it is one Trump will never win. 

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
7.3  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  livefreeordie @7    6 years ago

Only if the EC fucks it up AGAIN.

arkpdx
Professor Quiet
7.3.1  arkpdx  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @7.3    6 years ago

How can the EC "f..." it up "again". It beveled did such thing in the first place. 

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
7.4  seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  livefreeordie @7    6 years ago

I agree.  The democrat party and Pelosi Waters take over of the US House will make the re election of our great and awesome President that much easier.  Keep America Great!  

pat wilson
Professor Participates
7.4.1  pat wilson  replied to  XXJefferson51 @7.4    6 years ago

Well he will have the Democratic majority in the House to blame for all his failed efforts. MAGA !! Meh...

Junior Participates
7.5  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו  replied to  livefreeordie @7    6 years ago

That kind of magical thinking is as amusing as it is just plain weird. 

epistte
Junior Guide
8  epistte    6 years ago

Facts are facts. Religious belief is the idea that you believe in something that you cannot prove. It's the modern study of mythology. If you want to claim to be a critical thinker embrace formal logic and the sciences. Religious is not the same as the study of ethics.

Mark Knopfler put it even more bluntly.

The work force is disgusted downs tools and walks
Innocence is injured experience just talks
Everyone seeks damages and everyone agrees
That these are 'classic symptoms of a monetary squeeze'
On ITV and BBC they talk about the curse
Philosophy is useless theology is worse
History boils over there's an economics freeze
Sociologists invent words that mean 'Industrial Disease'
Doctor Parkinson declared 'I'm not surprised to see you here
You've got smokers cough from smoking, brewer's droop from drinking beer
I don't know how you came to get the Betty Davis knees
But worst of all young man you've got Industrial Disease'

You can get your start in the subject for $50.00. Just be prepared to have a few of your current sacred cows made into burger when you start to think logically. 

If you live close to a college you can pick up used textbooks for a song at the end of the semester.  This is a classic introduction on the subject.  It was so obvious to me that I was shocked that others had a difficult time with these concepts.

epistte
Junior Guide
8.1  epistte  replied to  epistte @8    6 years ago

I missed this course. Professor Patrick Grimm is excellent. These ideas should be required as part of HS.

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
8.2  seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  epistte @8    6 years ago

There can be no ethics or morals without religion and without God.  Secularists who do manage to do moral and ethical things simply deny that God is the author and source of all of them.  

Gordy327
Professor Expert
8.2.1  Gordy327  replied to  XXJefferson51 @8.2    6 years ago
There can be no ethics or morals without religion and without God.

Demonstrably false. Of course, according to the bible, god is quite immoral himself.

Secularists who do manage to do moral and ethical things simply deny that God is the author and source of all of them

Prove that god is! Morality is not unique or exclusive to any god/s or religion.

epistte
Junior Guide
8.2.2  epistte  replied to  XXJefferson51 @8.2    6 years ago
There can be no ethics or morals without religion and without God.  Secularists who do manage to do moral and ethical things simply deny that God is the author and source of all of them.  

How can the Bible logically be a moral book when it does not condemn slavery? The Bible commands "thou shall not kill" and then 2 chapters later is promotes the death penalty for minor crimes that would be protected by the Bill of Rights. 

The god that you pray to is a gaslighting psychopath that advocates genocide.  If he was a 21st-century human he would be doing life without the possibility of parole in a supermax prison.

Gordy327
Professor Expert
8.2.3  Gordy327  replied to  epistte @8.2.2    6 years ago
How can the Bible logically be a moral book when it does not condemn slavery? The Bible commands "thou shall not kill" and then 2 chapters later is promotes the death penalty for minor crimes that would be protected by the Bill of Rights. 

You know some theists will engage in logic pretzeling to justify such contradictions, or simply ignore or gloss over it because they think god is justified in anything and as long as god does it, then it's ok. God always gets a free pass, right?

TᵢG
Professor Principal
8.2.4  TᵢG  replied to  XXJefferson51 @8.2    6 years ago

You are not following the ethics and morals of the Bible.   At least I would presume that you are not:

• If you see two men engaging in sex would you seek to put them to death?
  • Do you find bestiality a crime punishable by death (even the beast) but have no rule against pedophilia?
  • Would you purchase and hold another human being as property?
  • Would you accept as moral and ethical a master beating his slave harshly but stopping short to ensure that the slave does not die from the beatings?

This list goes on and on.

Clearly the Bible is not God's documented rules for ethics and moral conduct.   If you think it is you have not read it (or have not comprehended what you read).   So if God is the source of ethics and morality how does He communicate it?    And why is there such widespread disagreement on these important matters?

Junior Participates
8.2.5  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו  replied to  XXJefferson51 @8.2    6 years ago

Of all the myths believers cling to that has to be the most preposterous.  One would have to be either completely ignorant of history or deliberately ignore it to make such an idiotic claim.  

321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu
Sophomore Guide
8.2.6  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu   replied to  XXJefferson51 @8.2    6 years ago

Hi HA good ta see ya back.

I disagree ofcourse with your post. I am not too big on any organised religions. My GOD never came with a list of right and wrong, But I know in my life I have done things that many much more "religious" people won't have done that were IMO; the right thing to do. 

People with more power, more money , more influence and supposedly more religion. 

I've walked off of jobs over ethics and moral issues and fortunately I actually was instrumental in changing the entire moral attitude of a company as I was hired.  

Long story but true.

GOD doesn't tell me whats right or wrong. I didn't read it in the religious books written by men either. Instinctively I know. 

By observing what works both short term and long term is usually a good indicator of the right thing to do. Treat others like dirt they treat you the same, screw others over and expect the same in return. Plant the seeds you want to harvest. That's logical.

Doesn't take a genius to figure out whats right and wrong. It takes self discipline to do what's right over and over though, cause benefits ( at least short term) can be gained by both right and wrong behaviour.

I am of the belief that without the bad we wouldnt know what the good in anything is. 

GOD or not

Thanks and have a good day 

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
8.2.7  seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu @8.2.6    6 years ago

Back?  I never left...

Sophomore Guide
8.2.8  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu   replied to  XXJefferson51 @8.2.7    6 years ago
Back?  I never left...

O I haven't seen you on hre for a time, I thought maybe Fox got their site up and going and we'd lost ya. I gures timing is everything eh ? lol 

Anyway good ta see ya.

later

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
8.2.9  seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu @8.2.8    6 years ago

As always I’m glad to be here.  The photo for this article is my current avatar.  Trump is truly on a mission appointed by God.  

Sophomore Guide
8.2.10  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu   replied to  XXJefferson51 @8.2.9    6 years ago
As always I’m glad to be here.  The photo for this article is my current avatar.  Trump is truly on a mission appointed by God.  

Well, I'm glad to see you here as well. Although we differ greatly in ideology you are respectful and open ro civil discussions. I appreciate that.

As far as trump being on a mission for GOD. That I see as a personal view. The GOD I believe in has no direct influence on people personally so I would disagree with trump being any kind of "A chosen one" 

IMO: president trump is basically a megalomaniac that is under control enough to be where he is for now. Good or bad, that is honestly my belief.

I also do believe that president trump does have the good of the nation in mind. BUT I do not believe his ways and means of accomplishment are all that honorable and righteous (and I hardly ever use that word).

President rump seems to say whatever he wants to get whatever he wants. I dont see that as being a honest upstanding person, I see it as being a manipulator. 

I prefer a leader who is up front, honest and does not play "negotiating games" 24/7/365. 

It is what it is and our president is what he is. As far as trump being a messenger of GOD. When I die if I can I'll ask GOD about it, Till they I'm quite doubtful.

IMO: trump is just another fallible human. No better or worse that you or I. 

Hope ya have a good sunday HA. I intend to.

And yep good ta see ya here, + later 

Sophomore Guide
9  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu     6 years ago

They tell me the same thing about satan.

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
9.1  seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu @9    6 years ago

Who told you that Satan is on a mission from God? They are seriously mistaken.  He’s engaged in a rebellion against God.  

Gordy327
Professor Expert
9.1.1  Gordy327  replied to  XXJefferson51 @9.1    6 years ago
Who told you that Satan is on a mission from God? They are seriously mistaken.  He’s engaged in a rebellion against God.  

How do you know Satan's "rebellion" isn't part of your god's "plan?"

luther28
Sophomore Silent
11  luther28    6 years ago

Well I suppose He is in an offhanded way. As He is the only god that He would find equal to Himself and He is on a mission for Himself you could say you are correct.

In truth this is quite an insane notion indeed.

pat wilson
Professor Participates
12  pat wilson    6 years ago

[Removed]

user image
Freshman Silent
12.1    replied to  pat wilson @12    6 years ago
removed for context

E.A why does it seem to bother YOU so much, nothing better to do?

user image
Freshman Silent
13      6 years ago

[Removed]

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
13.1  seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  @13    6 years ago

Removed for context

user image
Freshman Silent
13.1.1    replied to  XXJefferson51 @13.1    6 years ago

Removed for context [SP]

lennylynx
Sophomore Quiet
13.2  lennylynx  replied to  @13    6 years ago

Removed for context [SP]

user image
Freshman Silent
13.2.1    replied to  lennylynx @13.2    6 years ago

Removed for context [SP]

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
14  Thrawn 31    6 years ago

I gotta ask, and I am being serious, do actual sober adults buy into this? I mean seriously, do actual sober, not retarded adult humans actually believe this stuff?

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
14.1  seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  Thrawn 31 @14    6 years ago

The points the seed make are right on and yes, I do believe it or I wouldn’t have seeded it.  

“Yes, Trump truly is on a mission from God. How else can you explain it otherwise?

cheesrtoallmy-haters.jpg

Junior Participates
14.1.1  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו  replied to  XXJefferson51 @14.1    6 years ago

Didn't the founder of your religion issue a warning about following false prophets?  Why, yes.  Yes he did:

"Take heed that no one leads you astray. For many will come in my name, saying,  I am the Christ , and they will lead many astray. [...] Then if any one says to you,  Lo, here is the Christ!  or  There he is! , do not believe it. For false Christs and false prophets will arise and show great signs and wonders, so as to lead astray, if possible, even the elect. Lo, I have told you beforehand. So, if they say to you,  Lo, he is in the wilderness , do not go out; if they say,  Lo, he is in the inner rooms , do not believe it." (Matthew  24:4-5 24:23-26 )

Gordy327
Professor Expert
14.1.2  Gordy327  replied to  XXJefferson51 @14.1    6 years ago
“Yes, Trump truly is on a mission from God. How else can you explain it otherwise?

Delusion. Insanity. Pandering. Conman. 

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
14.1.3  seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו @14.1.1    6 years ago

No one mistakes a mere President of a country for a divinely inspired prophet of God.  God has a purpose for our President but being a prophet is not one of those purposes.  

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
14.1.4  seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  Gordy327 @14.1.2    6 years ago

We will have to agree to disagree.  

Gordy327
Professor Expert
14.1.5  Gordy327  replied to  XXJefferson51 @14.1.3    6 years ago
No one mistakes a mere President of a country for a divinely inspired prophet of God.

But anyone can tell that anyone who is, makes a claim for, or claims to be "divinely inspired" or "on a mission from god" might suffer from a psychological condition.

God has a purpose for our President

So much for free will.

We will have to agree to disagree.

You are free to be wrong.

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
14.1.6  seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  Gordy327 @14.1.2    6 years ago

You are describing Nancy Pelosi and Hillary and Barrack Hussein before her.  

Gordy327
Professor Expert
14.1.7  Gordy327  replied to  XXJefferson51 @14.1.6    6 years ago
You are describing Nancy Pelosi and Hillary and Barrack Hussein before her.  

Nope. I've made no mention of any of them. Neither was I referring to them. Try again!

TᵢG
Professor Principal
14.1.8  TᵢG  replied to  Gordy327 @14.1.7    6 years ago

Funny when people refer to Obama by his middle name.   It reveals a superficial level of reasoning.    As if the middle name is significant.   Man I hate partisan / ideological nonsense like that.    The electorate in general needs to buy a vowel.

Junior Participates
14.2  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו  replied to  Thrawn 31 @14    6 years ago
I gotta ask, and I am being serious, do actual sober adults buy into this? I mean seriously, do actual sober, not retarded adult humans actually believe this stuff?

No.  Entirely the opposite.  This is the daily output of the deranged rightwing pukefunnel.  

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
15  Thrawn 31    6 years ago

double post (deleted)

lennylynx
Sophomore Quiet
15.1  lennylynx  replied to  Thrawn 31 @15    6 years ago

No.  Even the seeder doesn't believe it, he just posted it to elicit outrage and incredulity.  It worked on you...

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
15.1.1  Thrawn 31  replied to  lennylynx @15.1    6 years ago

I am not so sure....

epistte
Junior Guide
15.1.2  epistte  replied to  lennylynx @15.1    6 years ago
No.  Even the seeder doesn't believe it, he just posted it to elicit outrage and incredulity.  It worked on you...

If that is true then the OP would be trolling.

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
15.1.3  seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  epistte @15.1.2    6 years ago

See 14.1 for your answer.  I only seed stuff I generally agree with and believe.  

Gordy327
Professor Expert
15.1.4  Gordy327  replied to  XXJefferson51 @15.1.3    6 years ago
I only seed stuff I generally agree with and believe.  

To bad most, if not all of it, is just BS, false, and/or flat out lies!

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
15.1.5  seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  Gordy327 @15.1.4    6 years ago

Interesting personal attack but if you don’t like it it’s a badge of honor for me.  I’m not sure if there is a single thing on any religion, science, economic, or political issue anywhere that you and I have any common ground or agreement on.  

Gordy327
Professor Expert
15.1.6  Gordy327  replied to  XXJefferson51 @15.1.5    6 years ago
Interesting personal attack

Not a personal attack, but rather simple fact. Some of your BS has been pointed out before.

but if you don’t like it it’s a badge of honor for me.

That's not something I'd be proud of or impressed with.

I’m not sure if there is a single thing on any religion, science, economic, or political issue anywhere that you and I have any common ground or agreement on.  

Irrelevant. I'm not interested in agreement. just facts!

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
15.1.7  seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  Gordy327 @15.1.6    6 years ago

The facts are that Trump is our President and that he’s doing a great job.  

Gordy327
Professor Expert
15.1.8  Gordy327  replied to  XXJefferson51 @15.1.7    6 years ago
The facts are that Trump is our President

That's a fact.

and that he’s doing a great job.

And that's an opinion.

Gordy327
Professor Expert
15.1.12  Gordy327  replied to  Have Opinion Will Travel @15.1.10    6 years ago
What standards are we to use when applying to the phrase "great job".

I suppose that depends on how high one's standards is. I would assume that for the highest office in the land, "great job" would carry very high standards and expectations. 

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
15.1.13  seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  Have Opinion Will Travel @15.1.11    6 years ago

Indeed.  Many lied about whether they were harboring fugitives from the regime in WWII and are now heroes for doing so. 

Sophomore Guide
17  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu     6 years ago

Trump removed the shackles of big government control from us and by eliminating 800 of Obama’s job-killing regulations he freed us to be the best we can be.

Well without knowing what the regulations were and what they were put in place to protect trump may have set us up to be the worst we can be as well. Time will tell. 

Why were there these regulations to begin with ?  

Sophomore Guide

Junior Participates
18  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו    6 years ago

This article should be used by religious groups as teaching case for blasphemy.  

Junior Participates
19  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו    6 years ago

It almost doesn't need to be pointed out but it's a lie that domestic steel production is booming.  Nevertheless I will point it out:

Four  

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
19.1  seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו @19    6 years ago

https://www.google.com/amp/s/m.theepochtimes.com/american-steelmakers-are-thriving_2603061.html/amp

epistte
Junior Guide
19.1.1  epistte  replied to  XXJefferson51 @19.1    6 years ago

cough, cough.

The Epoch Times is known for its pro-Trump coverage. In September 2018, Epoch Times photographer Samira Bouaou broke White House protocol and handed Trump a folder during an official event.

The Trump tariffs aren't creating steel jobs,

The Commerce Department said in a statement to Reuters that tariffs will help the Sedalia plant and 12 other steel projects create about 3,405 jobs. That’s a 2.4 percent gain industrywide, according to the American Iron and Steel Institute. About 1,400 of those jobs at six projects, including the three Nucor sites, were planned before tariffs or do not rely on them, according to some of the firms and a Reuters review of company documents. In addition, two other projects by Republic Steel, which would create 690 jobs by restarting previously idled operations, are not certain to go forward, the company said.

The auto industry is being hurt by the stupid tariffs, BMW, Ford, Honda, Hyundai, and Mercedes are all looking at job cuts,

Evidence is mounting that automakers are taking a hit from President Donald Trump's tariffs, and the car companies say the worst may be yet to come.

Large automakers including Ford, Honda, and BMW say they are all reeling from the effects of the tit-for-tat tariffs between the US and China, as well as Trump's tariffs on all steel and aluminum tariffs coming into the US.

The latest example came from Ford, which announced last week that it would be forced to lay off employees as it cuts costs. Some of the impetus for the layoffs is a restructuring program the company is undertaking, but recent sales woes in China and increased material costs are also driving some of the automaker's pain.

Ford CEO Jim Hackett told an audience at a Bloomberg conference that the steel and aluminum tariffs will cost the company $1 billion in 2018 and 2019.

BMW is facing similar problems

BMW, which produces its X3 and X5 SUVs at a plant in Greer, South Carolina, is dealing with similar Chinese sales woes because of the trade war.

The South Carolina-made BMW models are hugely popular in China but are also now subject to retaliatory tariffs from the Chinese government that came in response to Trump's duties on $250 billion worth of Chinese goods.

Rick Schostek, executive vice president for Honda North America, expressed similar concerns about the steel tariffs during a Senate Finance Committee hearing in late September.

"So, while we're paying relatively little in the way of tariffs on steel, the price of domestic steel has increased as a result of the tariff, saddling us with hundreds of millions of dollars in new, unplanned cost," Schostek said.

Hyundai Motor Co.'s labor union is warning that steep auto tariffs the U.S. is considering could cost tens of thousands of American jobs, echoing concerns of the global auto industry as spiraling trade conflicts between the U.S. and other major economies heat up. The labor union at South Korea's largest auto company said in a statement that if President Donald Trump goes ahead with imposing 25 percent auto tariffs, it will hurt Hyundai's U.S. sales and jeopardize some 20,000 jobs at a Hyundai factory in Alabama.

China's levy on the Alabama-built Mercedes GLE and other models comes at a time when demand worldwide may be peaking for the brand. June global sales figures show that its 63-month streak of volume gains has ended, as China could no longer offset contractions in the U.S. and Europe.

The two German companies are being targeted although they continue to invest heavily in their U.S. plants to boost their exports. Roughly a fifth of all German-brand cars built in the U.S. last year were destined for customers in China, according to industry association VDA.

Mercedes employs 24,000 workers at its assembly plant in Vance, Ala., roughly 8 percent of its overall work force, and announced in October it would spend $1 billion there to begin production of battery-powered SUVs.

Toyota released this statement a few hours aho, A hundred and thirty-seven thousand Americans support their families working for Toyota, and Toyota and Lexus dealerships. They are not a national security threat. Indeed, Toyota operates 10 manufacturing plants in the U.S. We are an exemplar of the manufacturing might of America. A 25% tariff on automotive imports, which is just a tax on consumers, would increase the cost of every vehicle sold in the country. Even the Toyota Camry, the best-selling car in America, made in Georgetown, Kentucky, would face $1,800 in increased costs. We believe the only plausible outcome of this investigation is to reject the notion that automotive imports threaten national security.”

epistte
Junior Guide
19.1.2  epistte  replied to  epistte @19.1.1    6 years ago

Who is on bubble gum patrol tonight? 

Sorry and thanks.

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
19.1.3  seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  epistte @19.1.1    6 years ago

Oh no!  Pro Trump coverage.  Liberal heads will explode and it will become a questionable source because of positive coverage of our President.  

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
21  seeder  XXJefferson51    6 years ago

epistte
Junior Guide
21.1  epistte  replied to  XXJefferson51 @21    6 years ago

Bumpity, bumpity, bump your threads back to the top, huh?

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
21.1.1  seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  epistte @21.1    6 years ago

Why thanks for your bump.  I like my new avatar better.  

lennylynx
Sophomore Quiet
22  lennylynx    6 years ago

Jesus was a socialist and a total bleeding heart liberal.  The Republicans are the epitome of the money changers Jesus threw out of the temple.  No good Christian would ever vote for a Republican.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
22.1  TᵢG  replied to  lennylynx @22    6 years ago

Jesus was a liberal.   

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
22.1.1  seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  TᵢG @22.1    6 years ago

No, he was not.  His kingdom is not if this earth and our political terms are meaningless to Him.  

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
22.1.2  sandy-2021492  replied to  XXJefferson51 @22.1.1    6 years ago

Give all that you own to the poor?  Sounds like a liberal to me.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
22.1.3  TᵢG  replied to  XXJefferson51 @22.1.1    6 years ago
No, he [ Jesus ] was not [ liberal ].

jrSmiley_87_smiley_image.gif

Was Jesus a social conservative?   Yeah, you might have a point.   Jesus ostensibly lived in a time where slavery was replete yet he never denounced as immoral the owning of another person as property.   Hmmmm.  Not much of a liberal position.   And although Jesus was rather quiet on homosexuals - unlike Yahweh (who demanded death for a homosexual act) - he still considered it a sin.

His kingdom is not if this earth and our political terms are meaningless to Him.  

Does not matter if Jesus considered himself liberal - what matters is what he ostensibly taught and what he ostensibly did.   Words and actions.    We get to decide based on words and actions where Jesus fit in within our earthly political / ideological categories.

Dean Moriarty
Professor Quiet
22.1.4  Dean Moriarty  replied to  sandy-2021492 @22.1.2    6 years ago

Same here, I’ve often thought liberals want everyone to be poor. 

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
22.1.5  seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  sandy-2021492 @22.1.2    6 years ago

He didn’t ask that of everyone.  He only asked that of rich persons whose money came between them and their relationship with Him. Jesus has rich and generous friends whom he never asked that.  Jesus said to cut off all earthly things that would come between us and Him be it behaviors such as theft or adultery including homosexuality or money and property.  

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
22.1.6  seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  Dean Moriarty @22.1.4    6 years ago

Unlike Jesus, they do want that outcome for us.  

TᵢG
Professor Principal
22.1.7  TᵢG  replied to  XXJefferson51 @22.1.5    6 years ago
Jesus has rich and generous friends whom he never asked that.

Sounds like a member of Congress.