╌>

Democrat Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez fights back after articles wrongly claimed to show nude selfie

Category:  Op/Ed

Via:  johnrussell  •  5 years ago  •  66 comments

Democrat Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez fights back after articles wrongly claimed to show nude selfie

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

As freshman Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez adjusts to the limelight of Capitol Hill, the New York Democrat's affinity for sharing the experience on social media has generated overwhelming interest, not just from her fans but her critics as well.

Her interview Sunday on the highly-rated CBS program “60 Minutes” apparently didn't provide enough content for an internet troll who generated a false narrative featuring a purported nude photo of the self-described "radical," progressive superstar.

Since bursting onto the political scene with a major primary upset of a veteran Democrat, Ocasio-Cortez, 29, the youngest woman ever elected to Congress has become a prime target for her detractors, mainly conservatives, on the internet.

Her latest high-profile moment came Wednesday evening, as Ocasio-Cortez slammed the conservative media website The Daily Caller for spreading a story in a tweet that stated: “Here’s The Photo Some Described As A Nude Selfie Of Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez.”

The photo is not of Ocasio-Cortez.

AbHcStkl_normal.jpg

Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez

@AOC

GOP have been losing their mind + frothing at the mouth all week, so this was just a matter of time.

There is also a Daily Mail reporter (Ruth Styles) going to my boyfriend’s relative’s homes+offering them cash for “stories.”

Women in leadership face more scrutiny. Period.

AbHcStkl_normal.jpg

Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez

@AOC

For those out of the loop, Republicans began to circulate a fake nude photo of me. The @ DailyCaller reposted it (!) and refused to indicate it was fake in the title as well.

Completely disgusting behavior from Conservative outlets.

No wonder they defended Kavanaugh so fiercely.

The Daily Caller responded by not only deleting the tweet, but also removing the full story from its website -- excusing itself as the third media outlet to publish stories about a post on Reddit and 4chan, where the photo first appeared and falsely charged that in 2016 Ocasio-Cortez shared the photo to her Instagram account, where a woman’s breasts reflected off a bathtub faucet.

GvJ6yAr1_normal.jpg

The Daily Caller

@DailyCaller

As soon as editors noticed the twitter headline, we rapidly had it deleted and fixed. The story itself is otherwise no different than what HuffPo and Vice published.

We regret the error, as the intent was to inform our audience that a fake image was circulating online.

Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez

@AOC

GOP have been losing their mind + frothing at the mouth all week, so this was just a matter of time.

There is also a Daily Mail reporter (Ruth Styles) going to my boyfriend’s relative’s homes+offering them cash for “stories.”

Women in leadership face more scrutiny. Period. https:// twitter.com/asteadwesley/s tatus/1083082924524744704 

AbHcStkl_normal.jpg

Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez

@AOC

a) this is not an apology
b) you’ve been posting hysteric, misrepresentative articles about me nonstop - many within 24h.

The @ DailyCaller , funded by @ TuckerCarlson (at @ FoxNews ), has a well-documented relationship with white supremacy.

Unsurprising they’re targeting me.

The Daily Caller

@DailyCaller

As soon as editors noticed the twitter headline, we rapidly had it deleted and fixed. The story itself is otherwise no different than what HuffPo and Vice published.

We regret the error, as the intent was to inform our audience that a fake image was circulating online. https:// twitter.com/aoc/status/108 3178169044213761 

The photo is not of Ocasio-Cortez, but rather another woman who was once caught in political controversy – Sydney Leathers, who suffered 30 minutes of inside-the-beltway fame as a sexting partner of disgraced New York Democratic Rep. Anthony Weiner.

Leathers blogged an apology to Ocasio-Cortez, writing she was “deeply sorry,” admitting the photo was “an old picture of mine where I’m soaking in the tub, feet up, candle lit, weed vape in hand.”

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1  seeder  JohnRussell    5 years ago

The Daily Caller has always been a scumbag fake news outfit. 

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
1.1  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  JohnRussell @1    5 years ago

Personally, I could care less what Ocasio-Cortez thinks or does. I find her inane and nonsensical commentaries not worth paying attention to...

epistte
Junior Guide
1.2  epistte  replied to  JohnRussell @1    5 years ago
The Daily Caller has always been a scumbag fake news outfit. 

Conservatives are terrified of her and are trying to do anything to discredit her.  I'm sure she expected this.

Cerenkov
Professor Silent
1.2.2  Cerenkov  replied to  epistte @1.2    5 years ago

Nope. That's just projection. Her own party fears her antics.

Iamak47
Freshman Silent
1.2.3  Iamak47  replied to  epistte @1.2    5 years ago
Conservatives are terrified of her

She is no threat AT ALL to conservatives.  She is a threat to the dem establishment though.  A threat that dems have done nothing about in over 2 years.  Young progressives are still pissed about shenanigans in the 2016 DNC primary and AOC is how they are getting their revenge.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.2.4  Texan1211  replied to  Iamak47 @1.2.3    5 years ago
She is no threat AT ALL to conservatives. She is a threat to the dem establishment though. A threat that dems have done nothing about in over 2 years. Young progressives are still pissed about shenanigans in the 2016 DNC primary and AOC is how they are getting their revenge.

It is amusing how many Democrats don't recognize her for the threat she is to THEM.

I freaking LOVE that!

MonsterMash
Sophomore Quiet
1.2.5  MonsterMash  replied to  epistte @1.2    5 years ago
Conservatives are terrified of her

All American patriots should be terrified of her.

epistte
Junior Guide
1.2.6  epistte  replied to  MonsterMash @1.2.5    5 years ago

Why would anyone be terrified of her? Her economic ideas are quite moderate and have a proven track record of success. 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.2.7  Texan1211  replied to  MonsterMash @1.2.5    5 years ago

Amen!

AOC is clueless and her ideas suck.

Hope she climbs the ladder in the Democratic Party!

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
1.2.8  Hal A. Lujah  replied to  Cerenkov @1.2.2    5 years ago

Her own party fears her antics.

No - her own party is fine, it’s her fellow congress people that are nervous.  That’s not necessarily a bad thing.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.2.9  Texan1211  replied to  MonsterMash @1.2.5    5 years ago

Not of her personally--just her loony ideas!

katrix
Sophomore Participates
1.2.10  katrix  replied to  MonsterMash @1.2.5    5 years ago

I'm really confused here.  Why would American patriots be terrified of her?  Because you don't agree with her agenda?  I don't agree with it either, and I'm an American patriot, but she doesn't terrify me. 

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
2  Sean Treacy    5 years ago

The progressive Palin.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
2.1  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  Sean Treacy @2    5 years ago

Can she see New Jersey from her front porch? 

Unlike Palin, I'll bet you she could name some news sources she reads though. 

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
2.1.2  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to    5 years ago

Actually, the population of Alaska isn't much bigger than Cortez' congressional district in NY

Alaska - 739,795

14th NY -  691,715

lib50
Professor Silent
2.1.3  lib50  replied to    5 years ago
Palin became governor of the largest state

She quit halfway through, she is a quitter.  Not the brightest bulb either.  AOC is intelligent, and she is owning the frightened old white farts every time. 

By the way, it isn't too hard to serve (half a term) when the 'largest' part of the state is frozen tundra. 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.1.4  Texan1211  replied to  lib50 @2.1.3    5 years ago

An intelligent person would not claim that unemployment is slow because everyone has two jobs.

An intelligent person wouldn't claim that there is no upper-middle-class in America any more.

Cerenkov
Professor Silent
2.1.5  Cerenkov  replied to    5 years ago

Nothing.

arkpdx
Professor Quiet
2.1.6  arkpdx  replied to  lib50 @2.1.3    5 years ago
AOC is intelligent,

jrSmiley_10_smiley_image.gif

epistte
Junior Guide
2.1.7  epistte  replied to  arkpdx @2.1.6    5 years ago

BC doesn't hand out Cum Laude graduation recognition.  She had a 3.5-3.7 GPA.

She graduated cum laude from Boston University's College of Arts and Sciences in 2011 with a bachelor's degree in international relations and a minor in economics

Tessylo
Professor Principal
2.1.8  Tessylo  replied to    5 years ago

'Palin became governor'

And quit halfway through her term.  Who knew being a governor would be so hard?  She's trailer trash.    

JBB
Professor Principal
2.1.10  JBB  replied to    5 years ago

O'casio Cortez supports literacy including, "Punctuation For All". /S

Spouting lies about her and posting fake pics backfires on the gop.

A gop scared shitless ba a 29 year old freshman congresswoman...

Tessylo
Professor Principal
2.1.11  Tessylo  replied to  JBB @2.1.10    5 years ago

A pet peeve of mine, it would be nice if folks could be coherent in their postings.  

JBB
Professor Principal
2.1.12  JBB  replied to  Tessylo @2.1.11    5 years ago

Especially if falsely saying Ocasio-Cortez is not as smart as they are...

Tessylo
Professor Principal
2.1.13  Tessylo  replied to  JBB @2.1.12    5 years ago

jrSmiley_82_smiley_image.gif

JBB
Professor Principal
2.1.14  JBB  replied to    5 years ago

She is The Honorable US Congresswoman for New York's 14th District.

She is my Representative in Congress who beat a long term incumbent.

She wasn't elected by idiots. Don't like her? Move to The Bronx and vote.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.1.15  Texan1211  replied to  JBB @2.1.14    5 years ago

AOC is fond of saying stupid things. She will be treated accordingly.

tomwcraig
Junior Silent
2.1.16  tomwcraig  replied to  epistte @2.1.7    5 years ago
a minor in economics

Which she proves she didn't learn anything from with her desire to repeat the Carter era tax rates that lead to a massive recession.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.1.19  Texan1211  replied to  JBB @2.1.10    5 years ago
O'casio Cortez supports literacy including, "Punctuation For All". /S
Spouting lies about her and posting fake pics backfires on the gop.
A gop scared shitless ba a 29 year old freshman congresswoman...

Scared shitless of a fool who thinks unemployment is low because everyone is working two or more jobs?

LOL!

Ender
Professor Principal
2.1.20  Ender  replied to  Texan1211 @2.1.19    5 years ago

I am more scared shitless of people that think trump magically went into office and made those numbers happen.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.1.21  Texan1211  replied to  Ender @2.1.20    5 years ago

Trump certainly played a role in those numbers, as did Obama.

Ender
Professor Principal
2.1.22  Ender  replied to  Texan1211 @2.1.21    5 years ago

Sorry but all trump has accomplished is de-regulation and tax breaks.

Nothing attributed to moving the economy forward.

I think for some reason, it is moving along despite him.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.1.23  Texan1211  replied to  Ender @2.1.22    5 years ago

If you believe that tax breaks for businesses haven't contributed to lower unemployment, you would be wrong.

Deregulation isn't necessarily a bad thing. I have never understood why people automatically assume it is.

Ender
Professor Principal
2.1.24  Ender  replied to  Texan1211 @2.1.23    5 years ago

Contribute? Maybe. Have they been a major impact? No

But is there evidence that Republican policies have boosted job creation?

While it’s always tricky to isolate whether specific policies have shaped economic trends, policies implemented by the Republicans in charge of the White House and Congress probably had some effect.

That said, the number of new jobs gained since passage of the Republican-backed tax bill in December 2017 is pretty similar in scale to those racked up by both President Barack Obama and President Donald Trump going back to 2010.

McConnell is correct on the number. From January to May 2018, the Bureau of Labor Statistics reported a net increase of 1.037 million jobs. That works out to about 207,000 more net jobs a month.

But rather than being a turnaround from weak to strong, that amount of job creation is roughly in line with the gains in each of the past nine years.

So job growth has roughly been the same for the last nine years. There has been no major spurt because of it.

Ender
Professor Principal
2.1.25  Ender  replied to  Texan1211 @2.1.23    5 years ago
Deregulation isn't necessarily a bad thing. I have never understood why people automatically assume it is.

When they de-regulate laws that are in place to keep air and water clean, yes it is a bad thing.

The same laws that cleaned up rivers and air quality.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.1.26  Texan1211  replied to  Ender @2.1.25    5 years ago

Okay, what specific deregulation are you objecting to, and how have they affected clean air and water?

321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu
Sophomore Guide
2.1.27  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu   replied to  Texan1211 @2.1.23    5 years ago

I agree but I also first highly question why we had that regulation to begin with before any regulation is amended or abolished. (most regulations are meant to protect someone or something)  I also believe part of our law makers job should be to go thru old laws still on the books and get rid of some out of date and or crazy laws that remain on the books for a by gone era.  

https://www.legalzoom.com/articles/top-craziest-laws-still-on-the-books 

If you believe that tax breaks for businesses haven't contributed to lower unemployment, you would be wrong.

Here again , I agree, but here again, I ask, at what cost ?   In my world you dont take a cut in pay, then go build much of anything, (except perhaps your load balance) including a great country. 

I expected a big bump from president trump in the economy for no other reason than the business people of this country have been waiting for this. Some other business man who seems to believe money is the answer for anything.  

I disagree, honesty, integrity, and responsibility is very important to building anything worth having or being a part of. Trump's 24/7/365 "negotiating tactics" to me grow wearisome. I dont doubt the trump shadow will still premiate for some time after this mans departure as well. Class has been replaced by crass, how long that lasts is yet to be seen. 

Just my opinions. 

321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu
Sophomore Guide
2.1.28  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu   replied to  Texan1211 @2.1.26    5 years ago
what specific deregulation are you objecting to

I was in objection to the way trump said the intended requirements starting point was /is two degraulations for ever one new one. WTF ? That sounds like a school boy approach to a very serious situation.

IF he would have said and intended to go thru the regulations one at a time and review what was necessary and what is bullshit and just get rid of the bs ones. That I would have considered to be a responsible action on the part of the president.

I do not like how this man operates and I doubt I ever will. 

Ender
Professor Principal
2.1.29  Ender  replied to  Texan1211 @2.1.26    5 years ago
President Donald Trump’s deregulatory agenda has pushed at least 26 environmental regulations issued during the Obama administration out of the queue.

Some have been revoked completely, while others are in the process of being replaced by less stringent rules under the Trump administration.

Follow this list of Environmental Protection Agency regulations compiled by Bloomberg Environment staff to stay up-to-date on the regulations that Trump introduces, rescinds, or is in the process of overturning.

Overturned

• Requirement for oil and gas companies to report methane emissions leaks |   Story
  • Rule that limits toxic emissions from industrial facilities |   Story
  • Rule that prohibits hydrofluorocarbons as replacements for ozone-depleting compounds |   Story
  • Proposed rule to reduce air pollutants from sewage treatment plants

In the Process of Being Overturned

• The Clean Power Plan regulating carbon emissions from power plants. A replacement plan has been drafted|   Story
  • Standards for limiting carbon dioxide emissions from new, modified, and reconstructed power plants |   Story
  • Emissions rules for power plant startups, shutdowns, and malfunctions |   Story
  • Rules to allow methane leaks to go unrepaired during unscheduled or emergency shutdowns at oil and gas facilities and guidelines that reduce emissions from existing sources |   Story
  • Rules aimed at cutting landfill methane emissions |   Story
  • Air pollution permitting reviews are eased |   Story
  • Update to a rule that would reduce air pollution in national parks and wilderness areas |   Story
  • Proposed amendments to rules on how refineries monitor pollution in surrounding communities |   Story
  • Changes to fuel economy standards for cars and light trucks made between 2020 and 2025 |   Story
  • Emissions standards for trailers and glider kits |   Story

• Suspended Waters of the U.S., also known as WOTUS, clarifying which waters are covered by the Clean Water Act |   Story
  • Delayed rule regulating toxic discharges from power plants into public waterways by two years |   Story
  • Proposed rule rolling back groundwater protections for certain uranium mines

Overturned

• Proposed ban on chlorpyrifos, an organophosphate pesticide |   Story
  • Narrowed scope of a federal law requiring safety assessments for potentially toxic chemicals |   Story
  • Removed copper filter cake from the “hazardous waste” list.

• Two programs that limit children’s exposure to lead paint |   Story
  • Rule aimed at improving safety at facilities that use hazardous chemicals |   Story

Overturned

• Proposed rule directing mines to prove they can pay to clean up future pollution |   Story
  • Federal rules regulating coal ash waste from power plants. States were granted oversight of the waste |   Story

• Limiting the studies used by the EPA for rulemaking to only those that make data publicly available |   Story
  • Changing the way cost-benefit analyses are conducted under the Clean Air Act and Clean Water Act, among other environmental regulations |   Story

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.1.30  Texan1211  replied to  Ender @2.1.29    5 years ago

Nice list.

It actually leads me to believe that you weren't really all that upset or you could have just rattled a couple of items off instead of Googling it.

Ender
Professor Principal
2.1.31  Ender  replied to  Texan1211 @2.1.30    5 years ago

Actually, I have had several articles on certain ones.

A list is better for people that refuse to see the truth.

Cerenkov
Professor Silent
3  Cerenkov    5 years ago

Sandy doth protest too much. 

JBB
Professor Principal
3.1  JBB  replied to  Cerenkov @3    5 years ago

No, the scumbags at The Daily Caller got caught being no good lying creeps.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
4  seeder  JohnRussell    5 years ago

I heard someone on tv this morning refer to her as a "female Donald Trump". I wouldn't wish that affliction on any human being in this world.

I am withholding judgement on her until something concrete develops. Right now it's just a media show.

MonsterMash
Sophomore Quiet
4.1  MonsterMash  replied to  JohnRussell @4    5 years ago
I heard someone on tv this morning refer to her as a "female Donald Trump"

She's a female Vladimir Lenin. 

epistte
Junior Guide
4.1.1  epistte  replied to  MonsterMash @4.1    5 years ago
She's a female Vladimir Lenin. 

You're scared of her.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
4.1.2  Texan1211  replied to  MonsterMash @4.1    5 years ago

She is a nutjob. Nothing more, nothing less.

Her ideas are stupid, and I hope she climbs the rungs UP the Democratic Party ladder.

She will be as effective for the GOP if she does climb as old DWS was as head of the DNC!

bbl-1
Professor Quiet
4.1.3  bbl-1  replied to  epistte @4.1.1    5 years ago

Conservatives have always feared strong, intelligent, formidable women. 

Ms. Cortez knows very much.  She has much to learn and she knows it.  Could she be the 'new' Nancy Pelosi?

bbl-1
Professor Quiet
4.1.4  bbl-1  replied to  MonsterMash @4.1    5 years ago

"female Donald Trump."  ? ? ?

Only in the sense she doesn't have a pecker either.

Intellectually, Cortez is like a Tesla---Trump is a Paramecium.

Ender
Professor Principal
4.1.5  Ender  replied to  bbl-1 @4.1.3    5 years ago
She has much to learn and she knows it.

Yep. Let her get her feet wet.

Kind of ironic the conservatives use to say that is what was needed, not career politicians. It is what some said about trump. All the sudden now they think experience matters. Unless of course it is someone that would push their agenda.

epistte
Junior Guide
4.1.6  epistte  replied to  bbl-1 @4.1.3    5 years ago
Conservatives have always feared strong, intelligent, formidable women. 

It seems that I have my own conservative cheering section on NT. AOC understands the finer points of economics which terrify Republicans raised on a diet of supply-side economic lies. 

Ms. Cortez knows very much.  She has much to learn and she knows it.  Could she be the 'new' Nancy Pelosi?

I'd rather she remain a progressive instead of being an establishment Democrat like Nancy. 

Ender
Professor Principal
4.1.7  Ender  replied to  epistte @4.1.6    5 years ago

Some will fight to the death arguing that supply side economics is the only way to go.

When in reality it only concentrates wealth.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
4.1.8  Texan1211  replied to  Ender @4.1.7    5 years ago

So which Democratic President and Democratic Congress has ever changed that?

Ender
Professor Principal
4.1.9  Ender  replied to  Texan1211 @4.1.8    5 years ago

I would argue that changes are slow and implemented. 

A hundred years ago if an elderly person got sick or needed a surgery, they were screwed.

Now we have Medicare.

Call me an optimist, I still think one of these days pot will be legal.

Maybe one day, people will have medical care without having to worry about insurance or payments.

Can one person do it? No.

I do think Obama tried, even though most were against him.

trump is not even trying to help working people. Taking away policy designed to help the over all, is not in fact helping.

It is taking advantage of the situation.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
4.1.10  Texan1211  replied to  Ender @4.1.9    5 years ago

So, even though the majority of Democrats appear to be against supply-side economics, they did nothing about it.

Got it.

I guess the difference is the majority of Republicans don't complain about SSE and then do nothing about it.

Ender
Professor Principal
4.1.11  Ender  replied to  Texan1211 @4.1.10    5 years ago

I don't even think all Democrats are against it.

Personally I like capitalism. Yet at the same time, it needs rules and regulations to remain in check.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
4.1.12  Texan1211  replied to  Ender @4.1.11    5 years ago

I don't think all Democrats are against SSE, just the majority.

Ender
Professor Principal
4.1.13  Ender  replied to  Texan1211 @4.1.12    5 years ago
just the majority

I wouldn't even go that far.

bbl-1
Professor Quiet
6  bbl-1    5 years ago

AOC the lightning rod for the right wing?  The right wing male dudes keep putting on the condoms backwards.  There it is.  There you have it.

Whatever.  The dems have many new talent women with new/fresh ideas.  Good for them and good for the US.

The GOP...heh-heh-heh-well they got Marsha Blackburn, Liz Cheney and the venerable Virginia Foxx.  heh-heh-heh.