╌>

'I DON'T CARE IF I OFFEND ANYBODY': CALIFORNIA STUDENT SAYS SCHOOL MAGA HAT BAN VIOLATES FIRST AMENDMENT RIGHT

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  ender  •  5 years ago  •  121 comments

'I DON'T CARE IF I OFFEND ANYBODY': CALIFORNIA STUDENT SAYS SCHOOL MAGA HAT BAN VIOLATES FIRST AMENDMENT RIGHT

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

A California student has claimed that her First Amendment rights have been violated after her school district told her she couldn’t wear a “Make America Great Again” hat on campus.

Maddie Mueller—who attends Clovis North High School in Fresno—is part of a group known as the “Valley Patriots” which had asked its members to wear the MAGA hats on Wednesday, KSEE reported.

However, the Clovis Unified School District (CUSD) said they would not allow her to do so on campus. In response, she asked whether she could wear any hat with Trump on it featuring the school’s colors, but this request was also denied, with the district arguing that it violated the dress code.

"How does being a patriot and trying to show pride in your country, how is that inappropriate?” Mueller—who is challenging the school district’s decision—told KSEE.

"To my knowledge Trump is not a logo, it's a last name, it's just our president, you can't claim the president is a logo, sports team or affiliated with any gang."

While the district’s dress code doesn’t specifically prohibit items of clothing with political slogans, a CUSD spokesperson said that the hat may not be conducive to an effective learning environment.

"Bottom line for us, our dress code is really about allowing our kids to come to school, to feel safe at school, to be supported at school, and to be free of distractions so they can focus on learning,” the spokesperson, Kelly Avants, told KSEE.

Oliver Wanger, a former federal district judge, said that the hat had the potential to cause issues, and hence the school could justify its decision.

"Here we are closer to the shouting fire in a crowded theater,” he told KSEE. "If the hat is something that could invoke violence or invoke controversy, then for safety of the students, the school is in its legal right.”

Indeed, Mueller says she has received threatening messages on social media. However, Wanger also noted that the school district’s decision contravened Mueller’s First Amendment rights.

This is not the first time that Mueller—who dreams of becoming a congresswoman one day—has been reprimanded for her clothing. The student told KSEE that she had been pulled up on several occasions for wearing T-shirts with the slogan, “Build the Wall.”

"I don't care if I offend anybody, I'm just showing support for the president and what I believe,” Mueller said, adding that her mom is concerned she might be prevented from graduating if she continues to be outspoken about her views and wear political clothing. Despite this, Mueller said her mom still supports what she’s doing.

The Clovis Unified School District did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

BY  ARISTOS GEORGIOU

Photo: A Romney supporter listens to a speaker as he wears a 'Make America Great Again' hat at the Mitt Romney election party on June 26, 2018 in Orem, Utah. GEORGE FREY/GETTY IMAGES

Video at link.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Ender
Professor Principal
1  seeder  Ender    5 years ago

Sounds like she needs to pay closer attention to her studies as maga is a slogan and trump is a brand.

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
1.1  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  Ender @1    5 years ago

For all you know, she could be a straight A student! I'd be willing to get she could be...

Ender
Professor Principal
1.1.1  seeder  Ender  replied to  Ed-NavDoc @1.1    5 years ago

From what I have read, she has a history of intentionally trying to disrupt.

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
1.1.2  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  Ender @1.1.1    5 years ago

That has nothing to do with her grades. Sounds like you are fishing...

Ender
Professor Principal
1.1.4  seeder  Ender  replied to  Ed-NavDoc @1.1.2    5 years ago

I said nothing about grades. You did.

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
1.1.5  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  Ender @1.1.4    5 years ago

"Sounds like she needs to pay closer attention to her studies....".

Ring a bell? Your words, not mine.

Ender
Professor Principal
1.1.6  seeder  Ender  replied to  Ed-NavDoc @1.1.5    5 years ago

Disagreeing with what she knows has nothing to do with grades.

zuksam
Junior Silent
1.1.7  zuksam  replied to    5 years ago

She should have a friend wear a shirt with that famous Obama painting on it to see if they allow that. If they allow the Obama shirt then they are selectively going after her because of her political views.

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
1.1.8  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  Ender @1.1.6    5 years ago

Yeah whatever...

Willjay9
Freshman Silent
1.1.9  Willjay9  replied to    5 years ago

Please elaborate on how Obama left the COUNTRY in awful shape.....as opposed to what exactly?

Willjay9
Freshman Silent
1.1.10  Willjay9  replied to    5 years ago

So you wouldnt mind a child coming to school wearing a Louis Farrahkan hat? What about a hat with the ISIS symbol on it?

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
1.1.11  Vic Eldred  replied to  Willjay9 @1.1.9    5 years ago
Please elaborate on how Obama left the COUNTRY in awful shape

Let's start with the $20 Trillion debt and the war on cops

Ronin2
Professor Quiet
1.1.12  Ronin2  replied to  Willjay9 @1.1.9    5 years ago

Syria, Libya, reentered Iraq, signed a disastrous SOFA agreement tying the US to a weak corrupt Afghanistan government after two surges that accomplished nothing, Ukraine, and Yemen. Not to forget extra judicial drone killings across the planet in countries we are not at war with- including two US citizens- setting a dangerous precedent for all future administrations to build on.  Also, sending US money to Iran, which is a terrorist sponsor state. 

On the domestic side Mr "I have a cell phone and pen" didn't work with Congress and instead ruled by EO; touching every Americans life on the PPACA, EPA, and immigration. Which resulted in countless lawsuits from States to block his power grab.  Now that he is out of office left leaning states are filing lawsuits to keep those EO's in place; not realizing that if the courts rule that EO's are laws they just gutted Congressional power, and turned Trump and every future president into kings.

Left the US in better shape? Obama was Bush Jr on steroids.

Ronin2
Professor Quiet
1.1.13  Ronin2  replied to  Willjay9 @1.1.10    5 years ago

Wow, comparing Trump to a known Anti-Semite (see below), and a terrorist organization (You shouldn't need proof).

TDS is truly a disease for the ages.

If the school wants to ban all attire that is  political, sports, music, or anything with any type of message on it, that is one thing. Singling out MAGA, and pro Trump, attire while allowing left political attire that will offend conservatives is a violation of her first amendment rights.

It Is ME
Masters Guide
2  It Is ME    5 years ago

"To my knowledge Trump is not a logo, it's a last name, it's just our president, you can't claim the president is a logo, sports team or affiliated with any gang."

BINGO !

Bet a "Rainbow" Hat would fly high in Fresno. 

You'd think with a name like "Mueller" , she'd be given some leeway, and everyone would be told to "Back off" ! jrSmiley_18_smiley_image.gif

Ender
Professor Principal
2.1  seeder  Ender  replied to  It Is ME @2    5 years ago

trump is a brand and they sell their name as such.

School policy is only hats of school colours.

It Is ME
Masters Guide
2.1.1  It Is ME  replied to  Ender @2.1    5 years ago
trump is a brand and they sell their name as such.

Off sight !

There's a Difference !

"School policy is only hats of school colours."

"The Clovis Unified School District did not immediately respond to a request for comment."

Seems they need to "Ponder" before answering. It must not be so "Black and White", and we all know now....."Gray" is the best color these days !

Ender
Professor Principal
2.1.2  seeder  Ender  replied to  It Is ME @2.1.1    5 years ago
Avants  told Yahoo Lifestyle  that only hats featuring the school's logo or solid school colors are allowed. Mueller told KGPE-TV she asked if she could wear a Trump hat with the school's colors on it and was told that she couldn't.

Ender
Professor Principal
2.1.3  seeder  Ender  replied to  It Is ME @2.1.1    5 years ago

Off sight? (Site?) How is there a difference. The trump family brands their name on many (failed) things. trump hotels are a brand.

It Is ME
Masters Guide
2.1.4  It Is ME  replied to  Ender @2.1.2    5 years ago
Mueller told KGPE-TV she asked if she could wear a Trump hat with the school's colors on it and was told that she couldn't.

So much for that  "Only School Colors" allowed thing !

Can they wear a Denver "Bronco's" hat ?

Ender
Professor Principal
2.1.5  seeder  Ender  replied to  It Is ME @2.1.4    5 years ago

She wants to bend the rules by using a school colour yet still have it say trump or maga.

It Is ME
Masters Guide
2.1.6  It Is ME  replied to  Ender @2.1.3    5 years ago

If the name "Trump (President of the United States)"  is truly a "Brand"….I guess the argument of the "emoluments Clause" goes out the window. 

It Is ME
Masters Guide
2.1.7  It Is ME  replied to  Ender @2.1.5    5 years ago
She wants to bend the rules by using a school colour yet still have it say trump or maga.

No such thing as "Bend".....unless we agree....."Gray" actually means something.

Where I come from.....Black and White RULES !

Ender
Professor Principal
2.1.8  seeder  Ender  replied to  It Is ME @2.1.6    5 years ago

So the trump family does not licence their name to hotels?

It Is ME
Masters Guide
2.1.9  It Is ME  replied to  Ender @2.1.8    5 years ago

Then the "emoluments Clause" goes out the window.....huh !

DBA works wonders in the business world !

Ender
Professor Principal
2.1.10  seeder  Ender  replied to  It Is ME @2.1.9    5 years ago

It has been out the window since trump has been elected.

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
2.1.11  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  Ender @2.1.5    5 years ago

No, I'd say she just wants her 1st Ammendment rights upheld...

It Is ME
Masters Guide
2.1.12  It Is ME  replied to  Ender @2.1.10    5 years ago
It has been out the window since trump has been elected.

It was only loudly "condemned" since Trump took office.

Elected Officials become "Millionaires"...… before they weren't ?

Congress is a business.....not  some "I gotta make things Right" thingy ! It's all about the bucks.

Ever wonder why the Clinton Foundation is ..… Low on the "Gas Gauge" now! 

Trump came in with "BUCKS". He didn't NEED this job like the others do !

Ender
Professor Principal
2.1.13  seeder  Ender  replied to  Ed-NavDoc @2.1.11    5 years ago

IMO she just wants to cause problems.

If the school has a dress code with hats it must be evenly applied across the board. Zero exceptions.

Tacos!
Professor Guide
2.1.14  Tacos!  replied to  Ender @2.1    5 years ago
trump is a brand

Not when you're referring to the president.

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
2.1.15  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  Ender @2.1.13    5 years ago

No, not hats in general. Just one hat in particular. So it is not even and across the board at all.

katrix
Sophomore Participates
2.1.16  katrix  replied to  Ed-NavDoc @2.1.15    5 years ago

How do you know that?  Has someone tried to wear a hat promoting a different controversial topic and, if so, were they allowed to wear it?  What if someone wore a "Trump Sucks" hat?

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
2.1.17  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  katrix @2.1.16    5 years ago

Has any other hat been banned by that obviously  liberal left leaning school district lately that has caused such hatred and strife other than the MAGA hats? I don't think so, and I think it would have been publicised...

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
2.1.18  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  Ender @2.1    5 years ago

And President Obama's "Yes We Can" was any different? No it was not. I saw plenty of t-shirts with that on it years back.  Funny how no one says anything about that...

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
2.1.19  Vic Eldred  replied to  Ed-NavDoc @2.1.18    5 years ago

And nobody objected

Ender
Professor Principal
2.1.20  seeder  Ender  replied to  Ed-NavDoc @2.1.18    5 years ago

If it caused a disruption in class, then I say the school has a right to decide.

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
2.1.21  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  Vic Eldred @2.1.19    5 years ago

Nope. Not a peep...

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
2.1.22  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  Ender @2.1.20    5 years ago

In my neck of the woods it did, but the school system allowed it under 1st ammendment. But the left will never admit to it. 

Ender
Professor Principal
2.1.23  seeder  Ender  replied to  Ed-NavDoc @2.1.22    5 years ago

I have admitted what I believe.

I admit that I would just tell my kid to not wear the shirt in school.

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
2.1.24  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  Ender @2.1.23    5 years ago

You are entitled to your beliefs, I am entitled to mine.

Ender
Professor Principal
2.1.25  seeder  Ender  replied to  Ed-NavDoc @2.1.24    5 years ago

Of course you are.

I just have not heard them.

I have heard you say Liberals are hypocrites yet not where you stand on the issue.

From what I can gather you are saying is that the kids should be able to wear whatever they want.

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
3  Thrawn 31    5 years ago

Eh, maybe yes maybe no. Schools are a tad bit different when it comes to the first amendment. The courts have established on numerous occasions that students do not in fact have the right to say or wear whatever they want on school property. Hence why you can be suspended for swearing at a teacher for example. 

Ender
Professor Principal
3.1  seeder  Ender  replied to  Thrawn 31 @3    5 years ago

I am actually not a fan of censoring. I think it should be up to the school itself what it would consider disruption.

It just seems some kids want to make more noise. Kind of set their own rules.

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
3.1.1  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  Ender @3.1    5 years ago

You say you are not a  proponent if censorship, yet you agree with that school that she should not be allowed to wear a particular hat because you find it offensive. Sounds like you are promoting censorship after all.

Ender
Professor Principal
3.1.2  seeder  Ender  replied to  Ed-NavDoc @3.1.1    5 years ago

I agree that the school should be able to decide.

If the school told me my kid could not wear a certain shirt or hat, I would tell my kid they couldn't wear it to school.

Put the hat on, on the way to school, put it in the locker or backpack until after school and then wear it home.

A school is not a complete free speech zone. Just like me going to work. If my boss doesn't want me wearing a hat or shirt, guess what, I cannot wear that hat or shirt.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
3.1.3  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Ender @3.1    5 years ago

You're NOT a fan of censoring?  LOL

Ender
Professor Principal
3.1.4  seeder  Ender  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @3.1.3    5 years ago

Not everything can be worn anywhere.

There is a time and place for most things. IMO a public school is not one of them.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
3.1.5  Vic Eldred  replied to  Ender @3.1.4    5 years ago
There is a time and place for most things.

Oh, we are well past that time. We abandoned that idea when we allowed an entire generation to wear jeans (both genders) at all times. We allowed everything. 

Ender
Professor Principal
3.1.6  seeder  Ender  replied to  Vic Eldred @3.1.5    5 years ago

I have seen people wear jeans to a funeral.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
3.1.7  Vic Eldred  replied to  Ender @3.1.6    5 years ago

So have I....The boomers! A generation that never grew up. ( It was a big generation - I don't apply it to all of them). And what is it with women getting tattoos?

Ender
Professor Principal
3.1.8  seeder  Ender  replied to  Vic Eldred @3.1.7    5 years ago

I have seen women with tattoos forever. One time I was waiting in line and a woman had a tat on her back. I asked her about it and she told me about her son and how it was a remembrance of him.

I told her that I was sorry and didn't mean to bring up hurtful memories.

She said that she was glad I asked. That is what it was for. For her to remember him and that I helped her, by keeping his memory alive and talking about him.

My Niece has about five of them that I don't really care for. Maybe one but she just has them randomly placed on her body.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
3.1.9  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Ender @3.1.6    5 years ago

Here in this COMMUNIST (God forbid the word) country, people wear them to weddings as well.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
3.1.10  Vic Eldred  replied to  Ender @3.1.8    5 years ago

They look terrible on a woman. I once demanded that a girlfriend get rid of hers.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
3.1.11  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Ender @3.1.8    5 years ago

I've always thought of tattoos as being a low-class thing, but actually, your story about the woman and memories did make me realize there were exceptions.  In fact, now that I think about it, I see nothing wrong with vets using a tasteful tattoo of the unit they served active duty in.

Ender
Professor Principal
3.1.12  seeder  Ender  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @3.1.9    5 years ago
people wear them to weddings as well

I don't think I have seen that yet. Then again, at my age, lately I have been to more funerals than weddings.

Ender
Professor Principal
3.1.13  seeder  Ender  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @3.1.11    5 years ago
tattoos

I don't have any and never really cared for them.

Some of them can be very tastefully done. The woman I told you all about, I don't remember what it actually was, I just remember asking her about it because it was a beautifully done tat. It was rather stunning where most can look blah.

I learned not to long ago that wristband tats or just a band around ones arm is for mourning. 

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
3.1.14  sandy-2021492  replied to  Vic Eldred @3.1.10    5 years ago
I once demanded that a girlfriend get rid of hers.

Wow.

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
3.1.15  sandy-2021492  replied to  Ender @3.1.12    5 years ago
I don't think I have seen that yet.

Here, weddings in barns are pretty common.  Jeans are considered to be acceptable attire at those.

Ender
Professor Principal
3.1.16  seeder  Ender  replied to  sandy-2021492 @3.1.15    5 years ago

I still probably wouldn't.

As much as I hate it and never do it in everyday life, I was always taught to dress respectable during certain things.

Which for a guy can just be khakis and a button up shirt.

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
3.1.17  sandy-2021492  replied to  Ender @3.1.16    5 years ago

I wore a nice dress, and there were also men who wore khakis instead of jeans.  Since both barn weddings I went to were in August, few men wore suits, and I can't blame them.  I was sweating in a sleeveless dress.  They'd have roasted.

But TBH, when the reception buffet is just out of reach of a friendly horse's muzzle, casual dress seems to fit.

Ender
Professor Principal
3.1.18  seeder  Ender  replied to  sandy-2021492 @3.1.17    5 years ago

The only time I have ever worn a full suit, I was an usher at a wedding.

I have worn a jacket and nice slacks.

I would have been tempted to feed the horses.  : )

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
3.1.19  sandy-2021492  replied to  Ender @3.1.18    5 years ago
I would have been tempted to feed the horses.  : )

I'm pretty sure some of the kids did.  He was a very polite horse, given the amount of fruit that was right in front of him.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
3.1.20  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Ender @3.1.12    5 years ago

Only the guests, though. The groom dresses properly for the occasion. The bride and groom here do either traditional dress (I did an article a while ago about that) or wedding in white and tuxes, western style.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
3.1.21  Trout Giggles  replied to  sandy-2021492 @3.1.14    5 years ago

Wow is right. I wonder if Vic demands his woman make him a sammich, too.

Any man who told me to do something would be shown the door

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
3.1.22  sandy-2021492  replied to  Trout Giggles @3.1.21    5 years ago

Clearly, you dislike men.  Same as me ;)

Tacos!
Professor Guide
4  Tacos!    5 years ago
"Here we are closer to the shouting fire in a crowded theater,” he told KSEE. "If the hat is something that could invoke violence or invoke controversy, then for safety of the students, the school is in its legal right.”

There isn't enough eyeroll in the world for such a stupid statement, but I'll try.

28f7lc.jpg

KDMichigan
Junior Participates
5  KDMichigan    5 years ago
While the district’s dress code doesn’t specifically prohibit items of clothing with political slogans, a CUSD spokesperson said that the hat may not be conducive to an effective learning environment.

Well with that statement there I say this is a triggered snowflake case.

bbl-1
Professor Quiet
6  bbl-1    5 years ago

Ms. Maddie Mueller;  "I don't care," pretty much covers this one.

I wonder if she's pro-arsenal too?

katrix
Sophomore Participates
7  katrix    5 years ago

For me, this comes down to:  If a student wore a hat with a controversial slogan that would cause issues on the other side, would that also be prohibited?   

A t shirt that says "intelligent design is a hoax"  "Noah's Ark is Gilgamesh, plagiarized"  "Trump has lied over 6000 times since he's been in office" - are those allowed?

While I would agree with each of those statements, I don't think students wearing them on shirts or hats at school would be conducive to the learning environment.  They would be a distraction.  And I feel the same about this.  She's trying to stir crap up.  But it should be up to the school to decide.  If they allow this, though ... they have to allow many other things, and there goes the neighborhood. 

bbl-1
Professor Quiet
7.1  bbl-1  replied to  katrix @7    5 years ago

Good points. 

charger 383
Professor Silent
8  charger 383    5 years ago

we couldn't wear any hats at school, only from door to your locker and none after 8:45 . 

Tacos!
Professor Guide
8.1  Tacos!  replied to  charger 383 @8    5 years ago

What if your head is cold? 

cold-image-700x476.jpeg

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
8.2  sandy-2021492  replied to  charger 383 @8    5 years ago

Boys couldn't in our high school, either.

Last year, my son got in trouble for wearing a hat in school - they had to come off when entering the building, and couldn't go back on until the kid was outside.  He was heading to baseball practice, and had his hands full, so he put his hat on, because he forgot.  He was at the inner doors when a teacher saw him, and wearing his hat the remaining 10 feet to the outer doors because he didn't have a hand free to take it off got him an in-school suspension.

FLYNAVY1
Professor Guide
9  FLYNAVY1    5 years ago

Let her wear the hat on campus, but take it off in class. (matter of courtesy..)

Let this young lady also be warned that others are going to be well within their first amendment rights to comment on her hat and their thoughts about her in public.    

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
9.1  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  FLYNAVY1 @9    5 years ago

Agreed. As long as she is not banned from even bringing it on campus, which seems to be what the school is trying to do.

katrix
Sophomore Participates
9.2  katrix  replied to  FLYNAVY1 @9    5 years ago

That's a rational approach, but is likely to lead to a lot of disruption at the school.  I suppose it would be a good lesson in civics, though.

Ender
Professor Principal
9.2.1  seeder  Ender  replied to  katrix @9.2    5 years ago
likely to lead to a lot of disruption at the school

Which is what I think they are trying to avoid.

From what I have read, she has a history of trying to stir up controversy. 

FLYNAVY1
Professor Guide
9.2.2  FLYNAVY1  replied to  Ender @9.2.1    5 years ago

I guess the idea of introducing "smokers" at grade 8 and up to settle things isn't going to be a viable option....?

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
10  Jeremy Retired in NC    5 years ago

It's not against dress code but it will trigger the easily offended and THEY will cause a problem.

katrix
Sophomore Participates
10.1  katrix  replied to  Jeremy Retired in NC @10    5 years ago

As would an article of clothing which insulted Trump, or was pro-Hillary, by the easily offended on the other side.

The question is, should any disruptive clothing be permitted, knowing that it may interfere with the learning environment?

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
10.1.1  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  katrix @10.1    5 years ago

Look up.  My point is above your head.

katrix
Sophomore Participates
10.1.2  katrix  replied to  Jeremy Retired in NC @10.1.1    5 years ago

No, it's not above my head.  You're just choosing to ignore what I meant due to your extreme partisanship.

KDMichigan
Junior Participates
10.1.3  KDMichigan  replied to  katrix @10.1    5 years ago
should any disruptive clothing be permitted,

Support for your President is disruptive? Only for the triggered snowflakes.

The sad part is this is not a isolated incident.

Remember all the offended from people wearing pro Obama gear? Me neither.

katrix
Sophomore Participates
11  katrix    5 years ago

I've never understood those who feel a need to display their views on politics, religion, etc. on their clothing or cars in the first place.

Who would be stupid enough to vote for someone just because someone was wearing a shirt or hat, or had a bumper sticker?  And why do you need perfect strangers to know what you think about those things?

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
11.1  JohnRussell  replied to  katrix @11    5 years ago
I've never understood those who feel a need to display their views on politics, religion, etc. on their clothing or cars in the first place. Who would be stupid enough to vote for someone just because someone was wearing a shirt or hat, or had a bumper sticker?  And why do you need perfect strangers to know what you think about those things?

I generally do not advertise anything with my clothes. I have never had many t shirts or hats with a logo, picture, or saying  on them . Most of my baseball caps and t shirts are plain colors. I don't even like shirts that have company logos on them like Hillfiger or Izod. If someone wants me to advertise their clothing brand they can pay me.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
11.1.1  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  JohnRussell @11.1    5 years ago

Chinese youths wear just about any advertising T-shirts that are possible. So many wear Nike or Addidas or other advertising, and just about any English language slogan you can think of (even if they themselves don't understand what they say).  One unforgettable experience I had was while riding on a bus on a seat that faced towards the aisle a girl got on and stood in front of me wearing a T-shirt that said "FUCK YOU, FUCK ME, FUCK EVERYBODY". When she saw my jaw drop to my chest, she crossed her arms to cover it, and moved on.

I guess you didn't want me to send you this T-shirt (that by the way I've never worn).

Ender
Professor Principal
11.2  seeder  Ender  replied to  katrix @11    5 years ago

When I was a teenager the only clothes with anything written on them were concert t-shirts.

Or something that was air brushed while on vacation.

katrix
Sophomore Participates
11.2.1  katrix  replied to  Ender @11.2    5 years ago

I remember those stores all over the boardwalk.  The smell of the t shirt printing process ... and of Thrasher's French fries.

My parents bought t shirts at every bluegrass concert or festival they ever went to, I think.  I've been giving some away and selling some ... Mom must have 400.  I brought 20 or 30 over to her apartment but I don't feel like storing the rest in my basement forever, and she doesn't have room for them all.

Lately I buy wrist bands if they have them; I don't need any more t shirts (did I mention that I have 400 bluegrass t shirts, lol).  I have wrist bands from Godsmack, In This Moment, Of Mice And Men, Metallica, A7X and a few others.  Only T shirts I've recently bought are A7X and Halestorm.  I still have my Led Zeppelin shirt from when I was 13 - if I hadn't worn it so much, it would apparently be worth about 500.  Another thing I don't understand - you can get a brand new shirt with that same logo.  Why would anyone spend 500 for a t shirt from a concert they weren't even at?

Ender
Professor Principal
11.2.2  seeder  Ender  replied to  katrix @11.2.1    5 years ago

I forgot about those iron on decals. From what I remember they were still pretty innocuous.

That is quite a collection. 500 bucks? I should have saved some of mine. I wore them out and don't have any left.

Mine were all the old baseball style. 3/4 sleeves.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
12  JohnRussell    5 years ago

K - 12 students should no more be able to wear MAGA hats then they should be allowed to wear hats or t shirts promoting the latest rapper or even LeBron James or Tom Brady.  All schools should have a dress code. Light colored collared shirts and dark pants for boys and girls, no "advertising" of any sort on school clothing.

I went to Catholic school and we had to wear a tie EVERY DAY.  It instills discipline and school pride in the students.

No MAGA hats in school. It is borderline absurd.

katrix
Sophomore Participates
12.1  katrix  replied to  JohnRussell @12    5 years ago

I think it's ridiculous to make boys wear ties to school. What can you do on the playground if you're dressed up?

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
12.1.1  JohnRussell  replied to  katrix @12.1    5 years ago
I think it's ridiculous to make boys wear ties to school.

I think it's ridiculous to let kids wear tee shirts to school.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
13  Vic Eldred    5 years ago

From the seeded article: " the district’s dress code doesn’t specifically prohibit items of clothing with political slogans"

Case closed.

The philosopher Plato had it right. He believed that two of the most important questions that a society needed to address were: (1) what will society teach its children and (2) who will do the teaching. That has been the problem for America.

Ender
Professor Principal
13.1  seeder  Ender  replied to  Vic Eldred @13    5 years ago
Avants  told Yahoo Lifestyle  that only hats featuring the school's logo or solid school colors are allowed. Mueller told KGPE-TV she asked if she could wear a Trump hat with the school's colors on it and was told that she couldn't.

Depends on which article one looks at.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
13.1.1  Vic Eldred  replied to  Ender @13.1    5 years ago

Oh, is that all it is?   But you seeded this one.

Ender
Professor Principal
13.1.2  seeder  Ender  replied to  Vic Eldred @13.1.1    5 years ago

This article also says that they could not get an immediate response from the district.

Meaning they most likely printed the story without input from the district.

In the CBS article, they responded.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
13.1.3  Vic Eldred  replied to  Ender @13.1.2    5 years ago

The code is the code, right?

Ender
Professor Principal
13.1.4  seeder  Ender  replied to  Vic Eldred @13.1.3    5 years ago

Morse or binary?

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
13.1.5  Vic Eldred  replied to  Ender @13.1.4    5 years ago

If clothing with political slogans is not prohibited, why deny somebody with a Trump hat?  You can see why a lot of people question that...Or can you?

Ender
Professor Principal
13.1.6  seeder  Ender  replied to  Vic Eldred @13.1.5    5 years ago

I can see that if it is causing a disruption, understanding them not wanting them worn. No matter the political stripe.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
13.1.7  Vic Eldred  replied to  Ender @13.1.6    5 years ago

What disruption did it cause?

Ender
Professor Principal
13.1.8  seeder  Ender  replied to  Vic Eldred @13.1.7    5 years ago
"I don't care if I offend anybody, I'm just showing support for the president and what I believe,” Mueller said, adding that her mom is concerned she might be prevented from graduating if she continues to be outspoken about her views and wear political clothing.

She doesn't care what happens. From what I can gather, she has a history of trying to rile people up.

If this was about free speech then what if someone wanted to wear a nazi armband or an SS hat.

Would that be acceptable? Free speech and all.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
13.1.9  Vic Eldred  replied to  Ender @13.1.8    5 years ago
If this was about free speech then what if someone wanted to wear a nazi armband or an SS hat. Would that be acceptable?

Do you realize that you are equating a MAGA hat with Nazi symbols?

Ender
Professor Principal
13.1.10  seeder  Ender  replied to  Vic Eldred @13.1.9    5 years ago

No I am not.

I am trying to see if there is any line that cannot be crossed, or should all be allowed.

Or, should the school have discretion.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
13.1.11  Vic Eldred  replied to  Ender @13.1.10    5 years ago
I am trying to see if there is any line that cannot be crossed, or should all be allowed.

In that case, look at it from the side of what is allowed to make some comfortable.

Does the school allow dreadlocks?  I'm sure every school does.
Does it allow a hijab? I'm sure every school does.
Does it allow a "hope & change" shirt? I'm sure it does.

Why is it that anything Trump is disallowed?

Ender
Professor Principal
13.1.12  seeder  Ender  replied to  Vic Eldred @13.1.11    5 years ago

Dreadlocks are a hair style. That is getting into personal appearance.

I actually wouldn't mind if a hijab was barred. Faces should not be covered.

If a hope and change shirt was causing problems I would not want the disruption.

I would say the same if a kid was wearing a 'trump is a jerk' shirt.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
13.1.13  Vic Eldred  replied to  Ender @13.1.12    5 years ago

All of those things "could" cause kids to "not feel safe" - wasn't that the rationale for refusing the MAGA outfit?  Let's face facts. The schools for the most part are in the hands of the far left and Conservatives allowed it to happen a long time ago. There were no problems with what she wore, no transgression, no riot and no reason to deny her wearing it. My hunch is if she was allowed to wear it, the novelty would soon wear off and she wouldn't be wearing it for very long.

Ender
Professor Principal
13.1.14  seeder  Ender  replied to  Vic Eldred @13.1.13    5 years ago
the novelty would soon wear off and she wouldn't be wearing it for very long

Maybe so.

Tacos!
Professor Guide
14  Tacos!    5 years ago

So an inconsistency just occurred to me.

A MAGA hat is a distraction that's disruptive to the learning process and responsible for any violence that erupts in relation to it.

But if hormonal teenage boys are distracted by girls in revealing clothing, they are creepy, bad guys who are 100% responsible and the girls should be allowed to wear whatever they want.

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
14.1  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  Tacos! @14    5 years ago

I routinely wear a navy blue hat that says U.S. Navy Hospital Corpsman on it. I'm waiting for somebody to tell me they are offended by it because it offends anti military snowflakes....jrSmiley_10_smiley_image.gif

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
16  Buzz of the Orient    5 years ago

I have a big problem with hats.  If I wear my Blue Jays baseball cap I offend Phillies fans, and if I wear my tuque in America that I got when I climbed The Great Wall that says "The Great Wall" I'd probably get beaten up by liberals.

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
17  Hal A. Lujah    5 years ago

"How does being a patriot and trying to show pride in your country, how is that inappropriate?”

Then wear a flag, bitch.  Calling a MAGA hat patriotic is like calling a swastika artwork.  Yeah, some people might agree with you, but certainly not the majority of people.

This first Amendment argument is getting to be such bullshit.  I went to a Jesuit high school, and had to wear a button down shirt and tie every day.  I still had first Amendment rights, just not on my shirt and during school hours.  Someone please slap some sense into this idiot.

luther28
Sophomore Silent
18  luther28    5 years ago

A two part comment I suppose as there is a bit of conflict in the statement from my point of view:

Since it would not appear that the School District bans all manner of headwear (hats in particular), I would have to agree with the second part of the statement. What I tend to question is IDGAF attitude towards the sensibilities of others in the first part of the statement.

I myself as a rule do not go out of my way to tweak and offend others, but then again I am an adult ( well sort of anyway).