╌>

Religious Right Radio Show Host Sympathizes With New Zealand Shooter

Category:  Religion & Ethics

Via:  don-overton  •  5 years ago  •  64 comments

Religious Right Radio Show Host Sympathizes With New Zealand Shooter
After last week’s horrific murder of 50 people at two mosques in Christchurch, New Zealand, I knew that it would only be a matter of time before someone in the Religious Right said something offensive about the mass shooting. Sure enough, Bryan Fischer, a radio host for the American Family Association, didn’t disappoint. “I hate Islam,” Fischer said on Friday. “I hate Islam because it is a danger to everything that is important to me: My faith, my country, my liberty, Christianity, civil...

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

After last week’s horrific murder of 50 people at two mosques in Christchurch, New Zealand, I knew that it would only be a matter of time before someone in the Religious Right said something offensive about the mass shooting. Sure enough, Bryan Fischer, a radio host for the American Family Association, didn’t disappoint.

“I hate Islam,”   Fischer said on Friday . “I hate Islam because it is a danger to everything that is important to me: My faith, my country, my liberty, Christianity, civil rights. Everything that you and I treasure is threatened by Islam.”

He then added that while shooting Muslims “is the wrong way to go about it,” the alleged killer in New Zealand, Brenton Harrison Tarrant, was “correct only in that Islam is something that does need to be stopped.” (Thanks to Right Wing Watch for the audio.)

Fischer then started rambling about how if the government won’t protect people from Islam, naturally some individuals will decide to take matters into their own hands and this leads to “vigilante justice,” which, he said, “I think we saw a case of that today in New Zealand.”

Vigalante justice? Actually, it was cold-blooded murder. To imply that Tarrant, who is accused of murdering 50 men, women and children because he is a hate-filled white supremacist, was applying any kind of “justice” (vigilante or otherwise) is disgusting and does nothing more than excuse his appalling behavior.

Let’s be clear about what happened here: Innocent people worshipping in peace were slaughtered for no other reason than their religious beliefs. (Among them was   a 3-year-old boy   who, in the confusion of the moment, tragically ended up running toward the gunman.) Fischer hates Islam so much that he’s bending over backward to excuse a maniacal extremist who shot a bunch of that faith’s adherents. In all of his blathering, there is not one word of sympathy for the dead or their families.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Don Overton
Sophomore Quiet
1  seeder  Don Overton    5 years ago

I find it hard to believe that any person would give this guy any type of credibility at all

SteevieGee
Professor Silent
1.1  SteevieGee  replied to  Don Overton @1    5 years ago

I don't find it hard to believe at all.  The religious right, aka the American taliban, aka the Christians have been at war with the other religious right,  aka the Muslim taliban, aka Islam, for hundreds of years.  It's all about collection plate revenue.  This attack was entirely due to religion.  No religion = Peace.

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
1.2  Bob Nelson  replied to  Don Overton @1    5 years ago

I'd bet there are NT members who agree with Fischer.

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
2  Ed-NavDoc    5 years ago

Personally, I hope Fischer rots in whatever Hell he believes in the right along with Tarrant! There is absolutely nothing that condones what Tarrant and people like him do to others for the sake of their twisted belief systems.

SteevieGee
Professor Silent
2.1  SteevieGee  replied to  Ed-NavDoc @2    5 years ago

I'm glad they got him alive.  Now he can watch while his countrymen lose their assault weapons and he can say 'I did that'.  Of course, so can his fellow white supremacist inmates.

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
3  sandy-2021492    5 years ago

I'm not sure why he hates Islam, as radical Islam (not Islam as practiced by most Muslims) hates all of the same people and things he hates - LGBTQ people, women, same-sex marriage, and religious freedom.  It even loves all of the same things he loves - forcing religion on those not interested, vilifying LGBTQ people, and encouraging women to stay in bad marriages (especially if one is unfortunate enough to be married to an abusive, adulterous Duggar spawn).

Same likes and dislikes, different window dressing.

It Is ME
Masters Guide
3.1  It Is ME  replied to  sandy-2021492 @3    5 years ago

Weird how Jacinda Ardern thought it would be great to dress like a "Muslim" when she gave her "Solidarity" speech, but doesn't seem to want to dress that way any other time !

"Ardern promised her nation's parliament that she will not permit notoriety of the man who killed and wounded those at Christchurch. His name has been stricken from all of her future conversations, she said."

Yet …... she bans "Guns" !

hmmmmm…...Seems the "Notoriety" of the incident will "Live On" for real ….. with "Law Abiding Citizens" anyway .

Placating the masses ?

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
3.1.1  sandy-2021492  replied to  It Is ME @3.1    5 years ago
Weird how Jacinda Ardern thought it would be great to dress like a "Muslim" when she gave her "Solidarity" speech, but doesn't seem to want to dress that way any other time !

And?

I think this would have been better posted as a stand-alone comment than as a reply to my comment, as your comment seems to have little relevance to mine.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
3.1.2  Tessylo  replied to  sandy-2021492 @3.1.1    5 years ago

[deleted]

It Is ME
Masters Guide
3.1.3  It Is ME  replied to  sandy-2021492 @3.1.1    5 years ago

"not Islam as practiced by most Muslims"

like "Non-Muslims" always seem to note that they seem to know "Most" Muslims.

Dressing like "Something", doesn't make it better !

It Is ME
Masters Guide
3.1.5  It Is ME  replied to    5 years ago
Respecting the victims

Respecting ?

Just speak then.... and don't play Halloween dress up!

"identity" politics is a "Cancer" that needs to be eradicated !

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
3.1.6  sandy-2021492  replied to  It Is ME @3.1.3    5 years ago
Dressing like "Something", doesn't make it better !

You might want to tell that to Fischer.  He'd have us under his own version of Sharia, given the chance.  His god is the same as that worshipped by Muslims, his hates are the same, and his wishes are the same.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
3.1.7  Trout Giggles  replied to    5 years ago

Kinda like a non-Jew wearing a yarmulke at a wedding, bris, or funeral, right?

It Is ME
Masters Guide
3.1.8  It Is ME  replied to  sandy-2021492 @3.1.6    5 years ago
You might want to tell that to Fischer.

I was speaking of Jacinda Ardern.

reference Comment #6 for the rest of your comment.

The "Murderer" Broke the already in place …. "Laws ". The "Murderer" should be DEAD right now.

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
3.1.9  sandy-2021492  replied to  It Is ME @3.1.8    5 years ago

Ok.

When I attend a church function, I wear a modest dress or skirt/blouse ensemble, despite being a nonbeliever.  I feel I should respect the traditions of the attendees, so I don't dress casually, and I don't show much skin.

If I were to visit the Vatican, I'd dress modestly and cover my head, despite not being Catholic.

Arden was leaving from a visit to a mosque in that pic.  Covering her head was appropriate and a show of respect.  Why is showing respect a problem?

Tessylo
Professor Principal
3.1.10  Tessylo  replied to    5 years ago
'Respecting the victims, their families, and the wishes of the majority of her constituents. You know...leadership in the face of tragedy.' 

Something the 'president' of the US has done nothing of the kind.  How much time did he talk about this tragedy while on the shitter twitting and between tweets while kicking Mr. McCain's corpse again and again and again and again and again?

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
3.1.11  sandy-2021492  replied to  It Is ME @3.1.8    5 years ago
The "Murderer" should be DEAD right now

New Zealand does not have the death penalty.

It Is ME
Masters Guide
3.1.12  It Is ME  replied to  sandy-2021492 @3.1.9    5 years ago
I feel I should respect the traditions of the attendees

What about the Non-Muslim Attendee's ? 

It Is ME
Masters Guide
3.1.13  It Is ME  replied to  sandy-2021492 @3.1.11    5 years ago

[deleted]

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
3.1.14  sandy-2021492  replied to  It Is ME @3.1.13    5 years ago

I'd prefer cops not be charged with carrying out legal sentences before trials.  Seems counter to being a civilized society.

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
3.1.15  sandy-2021492  replied to  It Is ME @3.1.12    5 years ago

Nobody's dragging them into the mosque, to my knowledge.

Melania Trump covered her head when she met the Pope at the Vatican.  Should she have refused to do so, or should she now be expected to do so all the time?

Or are you arguing just to be arguing, yet again?

It Is ME
Masters Guide
3.1.16  It Is ME  replied to  sandy-2021492 @3.1.14    5 years ago
Seems counter to being a civilized society.

"Civilized"....over crowds jails !

When you actually know the person that "Murders" Innocents as you chase them down the street, what good does it do the populace to go through capture and an expensive trail, only to give one a death penalty, that may not occur for decades ! In the meantime, the populace forks over thousands of dollars to keep the one alive, until they are put to death for "Murdering" innocents !

It Is ME
Masters Guide
3.1.17  It Is ME  replied to  sandy-2021492 @3.1.15    5 years ago

[deleted]

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
3.1.18  sandy-2021492  replied to  It Is ME @3.1.17    5 years ago

The verdict - arguing just to be arguing.

It Is ME
Masters Guide
3.1.19  It Is ME  replied to  sandy-2021492 @3.1.18    5 years ago
arguing just to be arguing.

Not at all.

Just because your stumped, doesn't mean it was all about arguing for arguments sake !

It was this simple:

Why did Jacinda Ardern have a need to placate muslims by dressing like a Muslim when she spoke for "Entire" country ?

is she Muslim ?

Would she dress in the like, if it was any other religion ?

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
3.1.20  sandy-2021492  replied to  It Is ME @3.1.19    5 years ago

She would dress as the dress code of the place of worship she was attending required.  Some more orthodox churches still require women to cover their heads, for example.

Why did Melania placate Catholics?

It Is ME
Masters Guide
3.1.21  It Is ME  replied to  sandy-2021492 @3.1.20    5 years ago

Because she "IS" a "Practicing Catholic" and Not a leader of a country ?

Jacinda Ardern isn't "Muslim" !

She's "Agnostic" and a Former "Mormon" !

"She went ahead to say that she could not subscribe to a religion that did not account for the gay community" !

Gee....do Muslims bring "Gays" into their fold ? Gotta dress like them though !

Should All "Leaders" of countries dress as the country they are going to visit ?

Old Hermit
Sophomore Silent
3.1.22  Old Hermit  replied to  It Is ME @3.1    5 years ago

[ deleted ]

Ms Ardern was just showing her respect for the people she was talking too.

You know, like this guy;

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSHa_RVoVLHV7egkhyViIn1Nw6GwZaXS985tYirFt7xZll_ZWYvOw

And this guy;

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSGYcWRGZ0IlYsDkud_euQLvH19klglfJIPREpNK6InK8ZK5puf7A

It Is ME
Masters Guide
3.1.23  It Is ME  replied to  Old Hermit @3.1.22    5 years ago
Ms Ardern was just showing her respect for the people she was talking too.

She was in her own country ! 

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
3.1.24  sandy-2021492  replied to  It Is ME @3.1.21    5 years ago

Ivanka Trump is Jewish, and she also placated Catholics.

It's just really pissing you off that Arden covered her head to respect a Muslim place of worship.  But it doesn't piss you off when others do the same to respect a Christian place of worship, even those who are not Christians.

What is the difference, I wonder?

Split Personality
Professor Guide
3.1.25  Split Personality  replied to  sandy-2021492 @3.1.24    5 years ago

SteevieGee
Professor Silent
3.1.26  SteevieGee  replied to  sandy-2021492 @3.1.15    5 years ago
Or are you arguing just to be arguing, yet again?

Hey, it's a job.

nightwalker
Sophomore Silent
3.1.27  nightwalker  replied to  It Is ME @3.1.5    5 years ago

Well, when NZ elects you "uncontested ruler for life," you can change all that.

Don Overton
Sophomore Quiet
3.1.28  seeder  Don Overton  replied to  It Is ME @3.1.5    5 years ago

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
3.1.29  Bob Nelson  replied to  It Is ME @3.1    5 years ago

In response to a seed about an anti-Islam nutcase, you manage to not mention that person, but rather you trash a person whose calm, honorable, and sensitive leadership has earned praise all around the world.

[Removed]

Dulay
Professor Expert
3.1.30  Dulay  replied to  It Is ME @3.1    5 years ago

The picture you posted was of the PM leaving the Mosque. She wore a scarf to show respect for their religious practices. Just as with some Christian denominations, women traditionally cover their head in places of worship. My mother did the same when she visited the Russian orthodox Church in San Francisco. 

As your own link proves, the PM did NOT cover her head when she gave her 'Solidarity' speech and to state that she did is a LIE presumably to 'placate the masses'. 

It Is ME
Masters Guide
3.1.31  It Is ME  replied to  sandy-2021492 @3.1.24    5 years ago

That's what you posted.

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
3.1.32  sandy-2021492  replied to  It Is ME @3.1.31    5 years ago

Not going to answer about why Ivanka, who is not Catholic, might adhere to the Vatican's dress code for women?

Your focus on the dress requirements of one particular religion's house of worship being respected, while taking respect of another religion's dress requirements as a matter of course, is telling.

It Is ME
Masters Guide
3.1.33  It Is ME  replied to  sandy-2021492 @3.1.32    5 years ago
Not going to answer about why Ivanka, who is not Catholic, might adhere to the Vatican's dress code for women?

You didn't note that originally !

Are you changing the goal posts now 'cause my answer didn't fit what you were looking for originally ?

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
3.1.34  sandy-2021492  replied to  It Is ME @3.1.33    5 years ago

I can bring up additional examples.  You, as you've shown here, can continue to ignore them.  But everybody sees what you're doing, and sees that it's tearing you up that Arden chose to do for Islam what Ivanka chose to do for Christianity.  You're not painting a flattering self-portrait.

It Is ME
Masters Guide
3.1.35  It Is ME  replied to  sandy-2021492 @3.1.34    5 years ago

[Removed]

It Is ME
Masters Guide
3.1.36  It Is ME  replied to  It Is ME @3.1.35    5 years ago

[Removed]

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
3.1.37  sandy-2021492  replied to  It Is ME @3.1.35    5 years ago

You're going to provide us with another example that seeing people in clothes traditionally worn by Muslims tears you up?  I wouldn't go giving any more evidence against myself, but you go ahead.

It Is ME
Masters Guide
3.1.38  It Is ME  replied to  sandy-2021492 @3.1.37    5 years ago
You're going to provide us with another example that seeing people in clothes traditionally worn by Muslims tears you up? 

"Placating" …. tears me up !

As the commercials Big Gov. puts out say … "Just say NO" !

only the "Squeamish" and "Snowflakes' can't say that word ! They would rather Placate !

Dulay
Professor Expert
3.1.39  Dulay  replied to  It Is ME @3.1.38    5 years ago
"Placating" …. tears me up !

As the commercials Big Gov. puts out say … "Just say NO" !

only the "Squeamish" and "Snowflakes' can't say that word ! They would rather Placate !

What you view as 'placating' others view as showing respect. Those that have so little of it have a hard time recognizing it. 

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
4  Trout Giggles    5 years ago

"Vigilante justice"?????

What the holy fuck?????

nightwalker
Sophomore Silent
4.1  nightwalker  replied to  Trout Giggles @4    5 years ago

LOL

Exactly.

Dismayed Patriot
Professor Quiet
5  Dismayed Patriot    5 years ago

“I hate Islam because it is a danger to everything that is important to me: My faith, my country, my liberty, Christianity, civil rights. Everything that you and I treasure is threatened by Islam.”

Notice how the right wing use this for pretty much everything they hate?...

“I hate homosexuality because it is a danger to everything that is important to me: My faith, my country, my liberty, Christianity, civil rights. Everything that you and I treasure is threatened by homosexuality.”

“I hate liberalism because it is a danger to everything that is important to me: My faith, my country, my liberty, Christianity, civil rights. Everything that you and I treasure is threatened by liberalism.”

“I hate illegal immigration because it is a danger to everything that is important to me: My faith, my country, my liberty, Christianity, civil rights. Everything that you and I treasure is threatened by illegal immigration.”

“I hate climate science because it is a danger to everything that is important to me: My faith, my country, my liberty, Christianity, civil rights. Everything that you and I treasure is threatened by climate science.”

“I hate the main stream media because it is a danger to everything that is important to me: My faith, my country, my liberty, Christianity, civil rights. Everything that you and I treasure is threatened by the MSM.”

“I hate the black lives matter movement because it is a danger to everything that is important to me: My faith, my country, my liberty, Christianity, civil rights. Everything that you and I treasure is threatened by BLM.”

“I hate erosion of white culture because it is a danger to everything that is important to me: My faith, my country, my liberty, Christianity, civil rights. Everything that you and I treasure is threatened by the browning of America.”

“I hate the removal of confederate monuments because it is a danger to everything that is important to me: My faith, my country, my liberty, Christianity, civil rights. Everything that you and I treasure is threatened by finally burying the confederacy.”

“I hate equal rights because it is a danger to everything that is important to me: My faith, my country, my liberty, Christianity, civil rights. Everything that you and I treasure is threatened by taking away our right to discriminate against others.”

No wonder some of their nuttier listeners have taken up arms and decided to murder innocents, because in their minds, no one is innocent and the right wing talking heads have worked them up into a raging foam at the mouth racist hate lather.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
5.1  Trout Giggles  replied to  Dismayed Patriot @5    5 years ago

Right-wing Christianity is a threat to my liberty, my civil rights, my country, and my family

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
5.1.1  sandy-2021492  replied to  Trout Giggles @5.1    5 years ago

The occasional right wing Christian has even called for the death penalty for women who miscarried who can't prove that they didn't contribute to that miscarriage.  So Right wing Christianity is a threat to my life.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
5.1.2  Trout Giggles  replied to  sandy-2021492 @5.1.1    5 years ago

They're a threat to all thinking Americans

cjcold
Professor Quiet
5.2  cjcold  replied to  Dismayed Patriot @5    5 years ago

And it all revolves around fear due to overly enlarged amygdala. Hoping in utero DNA surgery can one day fix that. 

It Is ME
Masters Guide
6  It Is ME    5 years ago

Bryan Fischer's "Comments" make him "Ignorant" !

Freefaller
Professor Quiet
7  Freefaller    5 years ago

As stated in the article to use the word "justice" in any form in relation to the POS's actions is an abomination.  The only possible justice that can occur in this case is when this mass murderer is tossed in jail and never sees the light of day again (unfortunately NZ does not have the death penalty).

lady in black
Professor Quiet
8  lady in black    5 years ago

Another wonderful faux christian heard from....if this is what passes for christianity you wonder why people are leaving churches  

Veronica
Professor Guide
9  Veronica    5 years ago
He then added that while shooting Muslims “is the wrong way to go about it,” the alleged killer in New Zealand, Brenton Harrison Tarrant, was “correct only in that Islam is something that does need to be stopped.” (Thanks to Right Wing Watch for the audio.)

Because the world only need MY RELIGION.

livefreeordie
Junior Silent
9.1  livefreeordie  replied to  Veronica @9    5 years ago

No, because Islam is an ideology commanded to conquer all of civilization by force and forcibly convert, kill, or enslave those they conquer. We have almost 1400 years history proving their commitment to carrying out these commands

Islam has been at war against the rest of humanity  since 632 AD. We had a brief respite when we broke up the last Caliphate, the Ottoman Empire at the end of WWI. The Muslim Brotherhood was formed because of that breakup to plan and reconstitute the Caliphate with the goal of obeying the Qur'an command to bring the whole world under Islamic rule.

More Islamic scholars have openly stated that Islam is a political ideology first and foremost.  The Qur'an commands Muslims to conquer and either place all under Islam or kill them. 

"The state which is regarded as the instrument for universalizing a certain religion must perforce be an ever expanding state. The Islamic state, whose principal function was to put God’s law into practice, sought to establish Islam as the dominant reigning ideology over the entire world. It refused to recognize the coexistence of non-Muslim communities, except perhaps as subordinate entities, because by its very nature a universal state tolerates the existence of no other state than itself. ...Muhammad’s early successors, after Islam became supreme in Arabia, were determined to embark on a ceaseless war of conquest in the name of Islam. The jihad was therefore employed as an instrument for both the universalization of religion and the establishment of an imperial world state."

Islamic scholar Majid Khadduri in his book War and Peace in the Law of Islam published 1955

The Pakistani Islamic leader Syed Abul Ala Maududi (1903-1979), who was not a Wahhabi, declared that 

non-Muslims have “absolutely no right to seize the reins of power in any part of God’s earth nor to direct the collective affairs of human beings according to their own misconceived doctrines.” If they do, he said, “the believers would be under an obligation to do their utmost to dislodge them from political power and to make them live in subservience to the Islamic way of life.” 

Likewise the Egyptian Muslim Brotherhood theorist Sayyid Qutb (1906-1966), also a non-Wahhabi, declared: “Islam cannot accept any mixing with Jahiliyyah [the society of unbelievers]. Either Islam will remain, or Jahiliyyah; no half-half situation is possible…. The foremost duty of Islam is to depose Jahiliyyah from the leadership of man, with the intention of raising human beings to that high position which Allah has chosen for him.”

As late as November 2003, the Islamic Affairs Department (IAD) of the Saudi embassy in Washington featured this statement on its website: 

“The Muslims are required to raise the banner of Jihad in order to make the Word of Allah supreme in this world, to remove all forms of injustice and oppression, and to defend the Muslims.  Such a violent and expansionist program is not solely the province of Saudi Wahhabis .

The Pakistani Islamic leader Syed Abul Ala Maududi (1903-1979), who was not a Wahhabi, declared that 

non-Muslims have “absolutely no right to seize the reins of power in any part of God’s earth nor to direct the collective affairs of human beings according to their own misconceived doctrines.” If they do, he said, “the believers would be under an obligation to do their utmost to dislodge them from political power and to make them live in subservience to the Islamic way of life.” 

Likewise the Egyptian Muslim Brotherhood theorist Sayyid Qutb (1906-1966), also a non-Wahhabi, declared: “Islam cannot accept any mixing with Jahiliyyah [the society of unbelievers]. Either Islam will remain, or Jahiliyyah; no half-half situation is possible…. The foremost duty of Islam is to depose Jahiliyyah from the leadership of man, with the intention of raising human beings to that high position which Allah has chosen for him.”

Qur’an:9:5 - “Fight and kill the disbelievers wherever you find them, take them captive, harass them, lie in wait and ambush them using every stratagem of war.”

Qur’an:9:112 “The Believers fight in Allah’s Cause, they slay and are slain, kill and are killed.”

Qur’an:9:29 “Fight those who do not believe until they all surrender, paying the protective tax in submission.”

Qur’an:8:39 “Fight them until all opposition ends and all submit to Allah.”

Qur’an:8:39 “So fight them until there is no more Fitnah (disbelief [non-Muslims]) and all submit to the religion of Allah alone (in the whole world).”

Ishaq:587 “Our onslaught will not be a weak faltering affair. We shall fight as long as we live. We will fight until you turn to Islam, humbly seeking refuge. We will fight not caring whom we meet. We will fight whether we destroy ancient holdings or newly gotten gains. We have mutilated every opponent. We have driven them violently before us at the command of Allah and Islam. We will fight until our religion is established. And we will plunder them, for they must suffer disgrace.”

Veronica
Professor Guide
9.1.1  Veronica  replied to  livefreeordie @9.1    5 years ago

Islam is a religion just as your Christianity is.  Just because you do not like it does not make it less so.  IF you eradicate Islam - which religion is next?  Christians have almost eradicated the religions of the Native Americans, the African countries, and tried to do so in the Asian countries.  Now all the beliefs of these religions are called myths, legends and tall tales - thus making them insignificant.  

As far as your Qur'an quotes - you may want to look at your own religious text before throwing stones.

Dismayed Patriot
Professor Quiet
9.1.2  Dismayed Patriot  replied to  livefreeordie @9.1    5 years ago
is an ideology commanded to conquer all of civilization by force and forcibly convert, kill, or enslave those they conquer. We have almost 1400 years history proving their commitment to carrying out these commands

"On 27 February 380, together with Gratian and Valentinian II , Theodosius I issued the decree Cunctos populos , the so-called Edict of Thessalonica , recorded in the Codex Theodosianus xvi.1.2 . This declared Trinitarian Nicene Christianity to be the only legitimate imperial religion and the only one entitled to call itself Catholic . Other Christians he described as "foolish madmen". [10] He also ended official state support for the traditional polytheist religions and customs. [11]

The Codex Theodosianus (Eng. Theodosian Code) was a compilation of the laws of the Roman Empire under the Christian emperors since 312. A commission was established by Theodosius II and his co-emperor Valentinian III on 26 March 429 [12] [13] and the compilation was published by a constitution of 15 February 438. It went into force in the eastern and western parts of the empire on 1 January 439. [12]

It is Our will that all the peoples who are ruled by the administration of Our Clemency shall practice that religion which the divine Peter the Apostle transmitted to the Romans.... The rest, whom We adjudge demented and insane, shall sustain the infamy of heretical dogmas, their meeting places shall not receive the name of churches, and they shall be smitten first by divine vengeance and secondly by the retribution of Our own initiative (Codex Theodosianus XVI 1.2.). [14]

Forced conversions of Jews were carried out with the support of rulers during Late Antiquity and the early Middle Ages in Gaul , the Iberian peninsula and in the Byzantine empire ."

After the end of the Islamic control of Spain , Jews were expelled from Spain in 1492. [24] In Portugal , following an order for their expulsion in 1496, only a handful were allowed to leave and the rest were forced to convert. [25] Muslims were expelled from Portugal in 1497, and they were gradually forced to convert in the constituent kingdoms of Spain. The forced conversion of Muslims was implemented in the Crown of Castile from 1500–02 and in the Crown of Aragon in the 1520s. [26] After the conversions, the so-called " New Christians " were those inhabitants ( Sephardic Jews or Mudéjar Muslims) who were baptized under coercion and in the face of execution, becoming forced converts from Islam"

livefreeordie
Junior Silent
9.1.3  livefreeordie  replied to  Dismayed Patriot @9.1.2    5 years ago

That is the man made doctrines of the cult of the Church of Rome. It has no bearing ion the Bible which does not advocate or command for Christians to establish any nations or rule over anyone.

the Quran however is the only religious book of authority for a religion which commands conquering and killing others as the highest duty of its followers

cjcold
Professor Quiet
9.2  cjcold  replied to  Veronica @9    5 years ago

So glad that I never felt the need to subscribe to anything that requires blind faith. Good band/bad worldview.

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
9.2.1  Hal A. Lujah  replied to  cjcold @9.2    5 years ago

As Christopher Hitchins famously said, religion poisons everything.

luther28
Sophomore Silent
10  luther28    5 years ago

Happy to be a heathen myself, but this would seem to be a form of Christianity that I am not familiar with.