╌>

Kate Smith statue covered up in Philadelphia as late 'God Bless America' singer faces new scrutiny

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  jasper2529  •  5 years ago  •  102 comments

Kate Smith statue covered up in Philadelphia as late 'God Bless America' singer faces new scrutiny
"At the height of her career, during World War II, she repeatedly was named one of the three or four most popular women in America," according to the New York Times obituary for Smith.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

The NHL's  Philadelphia Flyers  on Friday joined baseball's   New York Yankees   in halting the playing of Kate Smith's rendition of "God Bless America" at home games because of lyrics in other songs the late singer recorded.

The Flyers also covered up a statue of Smith that has stood at Philadephia's sports complex since 1987.

“We have recently become aware that several songs performed by Kate Smith contain offensive lyrics that do not reflect our values as an organization,” the Flyers said in a statement. "As we continue to look into this serious matter, we are removing Kate Smith’s recording of   'God Bless America’   from our library and covering up the statue that stands outside of our arena.”

KATE SMITH'S 'GOD BLESS AMERICA' OUT AT YANKEE STADIUM OVER RACIST SONGS

Smith, who died in 1986 at age 79, was long considered an American icon, in large part because of her association with "God Bless America," the 1918 Irving Berlin song that she recorded in 1939.

"At the height of her career, during World War II, she repeatedly was named one of the three or four most popular women in America," according to   the New York Times obituary for Smith . "No single show-business figure even approached her as a seller of War Bonds during World War II. In one 18-hour stint on the CBS radio network, Miss Smith sold $107 million worth of war bonds, which were issued by the United States Government to finance the war effort. Her total for a series of marathon broadcasts was over $600 million."

Smith received the Presidential Medal of Freedom   from President Ronald Reagan in 1982 .

But recently the Yankees became aware that Smith sang a 1931 song, “That’s Why Darkies Were Born,” which opened: “Someone had to pick the cotton, Someone had to pick the corn, Someone had to slave and be able to sing, That’s why darkies were born.”

The song was considered a satire of racism in its time, with civil rights activist Paul Robeson also having recorded a version.

Smith also recorded a song called "Pickaninny Heaven," and her likeness appeared in   an ad for baking powder  that featured a "mammy" character.

The Flyers had played Smith’s version of “God Bless America” before must-win games since 1969,  the Philadelphia Inquirer  reported, and its record in those games was 101-31-5. She performed her rendition in person before the team captured its Stanley Cup in 1974.

The Yankees played Smith’s “God Bless America” before the seventh-inning stretch for 18 years. The team pulled song after a fan informed them about the lyrics, the New York Times reported.

The removal of Smith’s version comes as scrutiny of American icons has gotten more attention. In recent years, some have called for   John Wayne Airport   in Southern California to be renamed after a social media uproar over a   1971 Playboy interview . In the interview, Wayne made remarks against Native Americans and African- Americans many deemed as racist.

But Jack Fowler, a vice president of the National Review,   argued Friday   that the Yankees and Flyers were going too far in banishing Smith.

"(W)hen she wasn't raising dough to crush fascism, Smith was visiting the soldiers," Fowler wrote, quoting from the Times obituary that Smith had "traveled nearly 520,000 miles to entertain American troops."

The Associated Press contributed to this report. 

Article is LOCKED by author/seeder
[]

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
1  seeder  Jasper2529    5 years ago

Will the NY Yankees, Philadelphia Flyers, and others ever condemn rap "music" that blatantly demeans people, especially women, of color?

Tacos!
Professor Guide
1.1  Tacos!  replied to  Jasper2529 @1    5 years ago

I'd say "don't hold your breath" but then I'd be surprised if any of those artists found themselves in the position of singing to promote the USA in the first place.

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
1.1.1  XXJefferson51  replied to  Tacos! @1.1    5 years ago

Promoting the USA and God was her real offense as far as the secular progressives are concerned.  

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
1.1.2  Jack_TX  replied to  XXJefferson51 @1.1.1    5 years ago

They don't think that far into it.

It's simply a shiny object they can chase around.  

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
1.2  XXJefferson51  replied to  Jasper2529 @1    5 years ago

It’s just ridiculous that we now try to shame people of the past for not living up to today’s standards.  No one need defend any wrong any person does or did but we are going to bury our history if we retroactively punish the memory of dead people because they weren't perfect like we are now.    

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
1.2.1  seeder  Jasper2529  replied to  XXJefferson51 @1.2    5 years ago

What concerns me the most is that a vocal minority of people are trying to erase portions of history and literature that they feel are "offensive" instead of teaching our younger generations about those subjects within context of the time in which they happened. If people don't learn from others' mistakes, they will certainly repeat those mistakes.

It Is ME
Masters Guide
1.2.2  It Is ME  replied to  Jasper2529 @1.2.1    5 years ago

When you "Get-rid" of things, you don't have to teach about it.

I think they call that "The Lazy way out" ! Seems to be the "IN" thing these days.....of Bernie-ites that is !jrSmiley_80_smiley_image.gif

Even the Democrat Presidential candidates have taken that route. They can't come up with their own shit, so they mimic someone else's SHIT, as if it was their own ! jrSmiley_78_smiley_image.gif

Don Overton
Sophomore Quiet
1.2.3  Don Overton  replied to  Jasper2529 @1.2.1    5 years ago

Not that one of you rightie's care a smigion for facts and truth

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
1.2.4  seeder  Jasper2529  replied to  Don Overton @1.2.3    5 years ago

Thank you for your comment and for resurrecting my seed that is at least 2 weeks old, but I don't understand why you posted a sweeping generalization comment that includes 9 off-topic links.

BTW ... I did not flag comment 1.2.3 . Someone flagged it after I locked the seed last night.  

MrFrost
Professor Guide
1.3  MrFrost  replied to  Jasper2529 @1    5 years ago

Music, if we like it or not, is protected as a form of art. Also protected is our right to protest. So this is a win win or a lose lose, depending on how you look at it. 

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
1.3.1  seeder  Jasper2529  replied to  MrFrost @1.3    5 years ago
Music, if we like it or not, is protected as a form of art. Also protected is our right to protest. So this is a win win or a lose lose, depending on how you look at it. 

Correct. However, can you explain why people are protesting Kate Smith but not Paul Robeson? They both recorded the anti-slavery song "That's Why Darkies Were Born" in 1931. Please see my comment 14.1 for their 1931 recordings that were posted on YouTube in 2014.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1.3.2  JohnRussell  replied to  Jasper2529 @1.3.1    5 years ago
can you explain why people are protesting Kate Smith but not Paul Robeson?

Probably because when a black person sings "someone had to pick the cotton" and when a white person sings it, there are different impressions given. 

JBB
Professor Principal
1.3.3  JBB  replied to  JohnRussell @1.3.2    5 years ago

My public school taught us Dixie plus many songs thought insensitive today. That was in the 1960's...

charger 383
Professor Silent
1.3.4  charger 383  replied to  JBB @1.3.3    5 years ago

mine too. The local radio station was "1360 in the Land of Dixie"

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
1.3.5  seeder  Jasper2529  replied to  JBB @1.3.3    5 years ago
My public school taught us Dixie plus many songs thought insensitive today. That was in the 1960's...

Same here, JBB. My music teachers taught us many Stephen Foster songs and Negro spirituals, because they describe an important part of the musical history of our country. 

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
1.3.6  seeder  Jasper2529  replied to  JohnRussell @1.3.2    5 years ago
Probably because when a black person sings "someone had to pick the cotton" and when a white person sings it, there are different impressions given. 

MLK, Jr. and many others wouldn't be happy that in 2019 you're still basing someone's character/worth on the color of her or his skin. 

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1.3.7  JohnRussell  replied to  Jasper2529 @1.3.6    5 years ago

[deleted]

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
1.3.8  Greg Jones  replied to  JohnRussell @1.3.2    5 years ago

Wasn't Robeson a commie sympathizer?

Why would a different impression be given?

Would you consider "Porgy and Bess" racist?

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
1.3.9  seeder  Jasper2529  replied to  Greg Jones @1.3.8    5 years ago

John seems to have lost interest in this seed, so I'll answer you ...

Wasn't Robeson a commie sympathizer?

Yes, he was.

Why would a different impression be given?

John's comment 1.3.2   lead us to believe that Kate Smith was a racist because she was a white person singing the anti-slavery song "That's Why Darkies Were Born" , and Paul Robeson singing the same song couldn't be a racist because he was black.

Would you consider "Porgy and Bess" racist?

"Porgy and Bess" is a phenomenal American operatic feat in so many ways.  George and Ira Gershwin captured the spirit of our pre-Civil Rights era in collaboration with poet DuBose Heyward.

Is "Porgy and Bess" racist? Only to a racist.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
1.4  Tessylo  replied to  Jasper2529 @1    5 years ago
'Will the NY Yankees, Philadelphia Flyers, and others ever condemn rap "music" that blatantly demeans people, especially women, of color?'

What does that have to do with Smith being a racist?

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
1.4.1  seeder  Jasper2529  replied to  Tessylo @1.4    5 years ago
What does that have to do with Smith being a racist?

By reading the seeded article and other links, you'll learn the answer.

livefreeordie
Junior Silent
1.4.2  livefreeordie  replied to  Tessylo @1.4    5 years ago

Typical leftist character smear without any evidence.   There is no evidence put forward by you or anyone else that Kate Smith was a racist.

but that won’t stop the anti American left from continuing to spew their hate of this country 

i can remember a different time when ALL Americans of every race considered it to officially be the 4th of July when Kate Smith sang God Bless America

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
1.4.3  Greg Jones  replied to  Tessylo @1.4    5 years ago

How, exactly, could "Dixie" be considered racist and insensitive?

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
2  seeder  Jasper2529    5 years ago
The Yankees played Smith’s “God Bless America” before the seventh-inning stretch for 18 years. The team pulled song after a fan informed them about the lyrics, the New York Times reported.

So ONE fan changed 18 years of tradition? Hmmm.

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
3  seeder  Jasper2529    5 years ago
The statue of Smith was posted outside Philadelphia's old Spectrum arena in 1987 and was relocated nearby when the arena was demolished in 2011.

It Is ME
Masters Guide
4  It Is ME    5 years ago

"But Jack Fowler, a vice president of the National Review, argued Friday that the Yankees and Flyers were going too far in banishing Smith."

I AGREE !

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
5  seeder  Jasper2529    5 years ago

The song was considered   a satire of racism   in its time, with civil rights activist Paul Robeson also having recorded a version.

I wonder when Rutgers will stop their Robeson idolization and start condemning communist-sympathizer Robeson for singing the same 1931 song that Kate Smith sang? 

Maybe Washington, DC will cover up Robeson's statue?

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
6  Sean Treacy    5 years ago

Liberals insanity never ceases to  amaze me.

Pretty soon Abe Lincoln will be declared a  public enemy. 

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
6.1  seeder  Jasper2529  replied to  Sean Treacy @6    5 years ago
Pretty soon Abe Lincoln will be declared a  public enemy. 

That's why Democrats assassinated him in 1865.

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
6.1.1  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Jasper2529 @6.1    5 years ago

Where Booth was a democratic sympathizer, he was not a democrat.  It was a republican who shot Garfield.  Bad shit has happened from both sides.

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
6.1.2  seeder  Jasper2529  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @6.1.1    5 years ago
Where Booth was a democratic sympathizer, he was not a democrat.

Don't try to whitewash it. He volunteered to be a uniformed member of the Confederate Army's Richmond Grays militia. Look it up ... National Geographic.

Garfield is off topic, so don't go there.

Now, get back on topic ---> Kate Smith.

arkpdx
Professor Quiet
6.2  arkpdx  replied to  Sean Treacy @6    5 years ago

There is already a movement to remove Thomas Jefferson, George Washington and other founding fathers because they were slave holders 

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
6.2.1  seeder  Jasper2529  replied to  arkpdx @6.2    5 years ago

In today's weakened society that consists of people who constantly need something to be offended by, the topic of slavery must be erased. Instead of teaching our youth about its atrocities and how we overcame those struggles, they want to erase it from history books, literature, artwork, music, etc.  That's why we have today's sudden controversies over our founding fathers and Kate Smith.

Creating an ignorant society will lead to a repeat in the future.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
6.2.2  JohnRussell  replied to  Jasper2529 @6.2.1    5 years ago
In today's weakened society that consists of people who constantly need something to be offended by, the topic of slavery must be erased. Instead of teaching our youth about its atrocities and how we overcame those struggles, they want to erase it from history books, literature, artwork, music, etc. 

Prove it. 

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
6.2.3  seeder  Jasper2529  replied to  JohnRussell @6.2.2    5 years ago
Prove it. 

Prove what? That a minority of people constantly find things "offensive"? That history is being erased in the USA?

I won't do the research for you. All you have to do is use your well-honed Internet skills to learn about what's happened - removing statues, altering history textbooks, violence on college campuses, renaming buildings, rewriting Mark Twain's novels, censoring school music programs, hiding paintings.  Is that the "freedom" you want? I don't.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
6.2.4  JohnRussell  replied to  Jasper2529 @6.2.3    5 years ago

I asked you a simple question.   You said the topic of slavery must be erased from schools, due to political correctness.  Prove it. 

Your reply does not prove it at all. 

Now, some of the confederate states, such as Texas, have sought to remove the harsh reality slavery from schoolbooks. Was that what you are referring to? 

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
6.2.5  seeder  Jasper2529  replied to  JohnRussell @6.2.4    5 years ago
You said the topic of slavery must be erased from schools, due to political correctness.  Prove it. 

I NEVER said that. Stop rewriting my comments to suit whatever you THINK they meant.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
6.2.6  Texan1211  replied to  Jasper2529 @6.2.5    5 years ago

that appears to be the new way to debate--claim someone said something, then debate that.

morally bankrupt way to argue.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
6.2.7  JohnRussell  replied to  Jasper2529 @6.2.5    5 years ago
In today's weakened society that consists of people who constantly need something to be offended by, the topic of slavery must be erased. Instead of teaching our youth about its atrocities and how we overcame those struggles, they want to erase it from history books, literature, artwork, music, etc. 
I NEVER said that. Stop rewriting my comments to suit whatever you THINK they meant.

Yeah, you said it. I'm not the person to try and prove wrong. I am extremely observant. 

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
6.2.8  JohnRussell  replied to  Texan1211 @6.2.6    5 years ago
that appears to be the new way to debate--claim someone said something, then debate that. morally bankrupt way to argue.

try getting your facts straight , if that is possible

Texan1211
Professor Principal
6.2.9  Texan1211  replied to  JohnRussell @6.2.8    5 years ago
try getting your facts straight ,

They are--thanks for playing.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
6.2.10  JohnRussell  replied to  Texan1211 @6.2.9    5 years ago

[deleted]

Texan1211
Professor Principal
6.2.11  Texan1211  replied to  JohnRussell @6.2.10    5 years ago

[deleted]

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
6.2.12  JohnRussell  replied to  Texan1211 @6.2.11    5 years ago

[deleted]

Texan1211
Professor Principal
6.2.13  Texan1211  replied to  JohnRussell @6.2.12    5 years ago

[deleted]

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
6.2.14  seeder  Jasper2529  replied to  JohnRussell @6.2.7    5 years ago
Yeah, you said it.

That block quote does not describe MY feelings. I described my observations about today's weakened society that needs to be offended by something, John. 

Move along. I am not the topic.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
6.2.15  JohnRussell  replied to  Jasper2529 @6.2.14    5 years ago

I see, you are not responsible for what you actually say, you' re responsible for what you "feel". Whatever. Maybe you will learn a lesson. 

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
6.2.16  Greg Jones  replied to  arkpdx @6.2    5 years ago

So was Hamilton.

luther28
Sophomore Silent
7  luther28    5 years ago

Yeah, it is getting rather silly out there.

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
7.1  seeder  Jasper2529  replied to  luther28 @7    5 years ago

luther - I apologize. I flagged your comment off topic by mistake. Please ask Perrie to reinstate it! 

luther28
Sophomore Silent
7.1.1  luther28  replied to  Jasper2529 @7.1    5 years ago

No apology needed:)

Tacos!
Professor Guide
10  Tacos!    5 years ago

We must be the holiest, most sanctimonious generation in human history the way we judge past generations. God must like us best.

Dismayed Patriot
Professor Quiet
10.1  Dismayed Patriot  replied to  Tacos! @10    5 years ago
We must be the holiest, most sanctimonious generation in human history the way we judge past generations. God must like us best.

Progress means learning from our mistakes. There is no evidence any God exists so who the fuck cares what an imaginary invisible wizard likes. Instead of giving so much undeserved respect to a fucking imaginary being, why not try to treat your fellow humans who happen to be of a different skin color with at least a minimum of concern and equality? Why not be disgusted instead of coming to the defense of those who have historically debased, demeaned and disrespected other humans simply based on their race? Or is that just too hard for some? Are some persons self worth or self respect so small that they feel the need to shit on others simply based on some indoctrinated racial bias?

Snuffy
Professor Participates
10.1.1  Snuffy  replied to  Dismayed Patriot @10.1    5 years ago
Are some persons self worth or self respect so small that they feel the need to shit on others simply based on some indoctrinated racial bias?

I would have to say that yes, some people's self-worth is that small that they willingly shit on others in an attempt to elevate themselves. We see it daily around many things. You can easily change from race to sex, religious belief, political party, gender, education, age, marital status, almost anything that identifies us as people.

This is a lesson that I believe we so desperately need to learn but unfortunately will be ignored by most as it's not convenient in this disposable age.

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
10.1.2  Greg Jones  replied to  Dismayed Patriot @10.1    5 years ago

I have very serious doubts that those who complain loudest about pervasive racism are free from being the worst practitioners of it.

Tacos!
Professor Guide
10.1.3  Tacos!  replied to  Dismayed Patriot @10.1    5 years ago
Are some persons self worth or self respect so small that they feel the need to shit on others

You tell me.

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
10.2  Sean Treacy  replied to  Tacos! @10    5 years ago

I think the Puritans would roll their eyes at the Progessives at this point. 

SteevieGee
Professor Silent
11  SteevieGee    5 years ago

Why would you put a statue of Kate Smith in front of a hockey arena?

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
11.1  seeder  Jasper2529  replied to  SteevieGee @11    5 years ago
Why would you put a statue of Kate Smith in front of a hockey arena?

The Flyers viewed her as their good luck charm ... until they decided to hate her in 2019.

Significance in professional sports

SteevieGee
Professor Silent
11.1.1  SteevieGee  replied to  Jasper2529 @11.1    5 years ago

Just shows that good luck can turn on you.

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
12  Jeremy Retired in NC    5 years ago

All this because people need something to be offended by.  

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
13  JohnRussell    5 years ago

Kate Smith's hey day was 80 years ago. She is much more contemporaneous to Babe Ruth than today's Yankee players and fans. 

Just play a more recent recording of "God Bless America" and let the dead bury the dead. 

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
13.1  seeder  Jasper2529  replied to  JohnRussell @13    5 years ago
Kate Smith's hey day was 80 years ago.

Trying to demean her importance, John? Her popularity lasted from the 1930s into the 1970s.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
13.1.1  JohnRussell  replied to  Jasper2529 @13.1    5 years ago

I SAID that Kate Smith's "hey day" was 80 years ago. 

Her list of hit records spans the time from 1927 to 1948.  She never had a hit single after 1948.  

Of course I stand by what I SAID. 

Yes, she continued in show business into the 1960's, but she was not a big star by any stretch. 

Her hey day was the 30's and 40's. 

I also notice she was nicknamed "the songbird of the south" which probably explains a few of her song choices.  I don't think the sports teams should be forced or co-erced into not playing  Smith recordings anymore, but they might as well do it on their own. Let the dead bury the dead. 

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
13.1.2  seeder  Jasper2529  replied to  JohnRussell @13.1.1    5 years ago
Her list of hit records spans the time from 1927 to 1948.  She never had a hit single after 1948.  

There is more to Kate Smith's decades of popularity than her "hit records". 

Warning: You're welcome to comment on my seeds, but leave your hostile tone at the door before you comment again. 

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
13.1.3  JohnRussell  replied to  Jasper2529 @13.1.2    5 years ago

I wasnt hostile to you, actually it was the other way around.  I made a factual statement. 

hey·day
[ˈhāˌdā]
NOUN
(one's heyday)
  1. the period of a person's or thing's greatest success, popularity, or vigor.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
13.1.4  Tessylo  replied to  Jasper2529 @13.1.2    5 years ago

What hostile tone?

arkpdx
Professor Quiet
13.2  arkpdx  replied to  JohnRussell @13    5 years ago

Maybe so John but the song and her edition of it is ageless and are as relavent today as then. I know things that mention Giving anyway but negatively and praises America offends your delicate, progressive "sensiblities" but get over it.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
13.2.1  JohnRussell  replied to  arkpdx @13.2    5 years ago
I know things that mention Giving anyway but negatively and praises America offends your delicate, progressive "sensiblities" but get over it.

Does that sentence actually mean something? 

arkpdx
Professor Quiet
14  arkpdx    5 years ago

It is no wonder the lefties are against Kate Smith. She sang a song that while it was considered anti racist at the time, she sang a song that praised America and God at the same time. Actions that progressives can absolutely not tolerate in any way shape or form. 

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
14.1  seeder  Jasper2529  replied to  arkpdx @14    5 years ago
It is no wonder the lefties are against Kate Smith. She sang a song that while it was considered anti racist at the time, she sang a song that praised America and God at the same time. Actions that progressives can absolutely not tolerate in any way shape or form.

What I find hypocritical is that The Flyers and Yankees loved Kate Smith for decades but now hate her in 2019 when they suddenly learned that in 1931 she sang a satirical, anti-slavery song

Why do Princeton and Rutgers idolize and memorialize communist Paul Robeson, who sang the same song in 1931?

Both renditions of the song have been available on YouTube since 2014. Is Kate Smith being demonized because she was white?   

Here are both versions, posted in 2014. Expand "Show More" for the lyrics ...

Kate Smith:

Paul Robeson:

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
16  JohnRussell    5 years ago

“Someone had to pick the cotton,
Someone had to pick the corn,
Someone had to slave and be able to sing,
That’s why darkies were born;

Someone had to laugh at trouble,
Though he was tired and worn,
Had to be contented with any old thing,
That’s why darkies were born;

Sing, sing, sing when you’re weary and
Sing when you’re blue,
Sing, sing, that’s what you taught
All the white folks to do;

Someone had to fight the Devil,
Shout about Gabriel’s Horn,
Someone had to stoke the train
That would bring God’s children to green pastures,
That’s why darkies were born.”

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
16.2  seeder  Jasper2529  replied to  JohnRussell @16    5 years ago

Thanks for posting the obvious, because in my comment 14.1 I made the following very clear:

Here are both versions, posted in 2014. Expand "Show More" for the lyrics ...

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
16.3  Greg Jones  replied to  JohnRussell @16    5 years ago

"Old Man River" from "Porgy and Bess" essentially said the same thing.

Was Gershwin racist?

There is NO widespread racism in the USA.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
17  Buzz of the Orient    5 years ago

Ford vehicles should no longer be put on the market using the Ford name, because Henry Ford was KNOWN to be a virulent anti-Semite. His name should not be perpetuated.  If it is continued to be used, it would also be okay to call one of the Ford car models the "Hitler". 

Krishna
Professor Expert
18  Krishna    5 years ago

But recently the Yankees became aware that Smith sang a 1931 song, “That’s Why Darkies Were Born,” which opened: “Someone had to pick the cotton, Someone had to pick the corn, Someone had to slave and be able to sing, That’s why darkies were born.”

The song was considered a satire of racism in its time, with civil rights activist Paul Robeson also having recorded a version.

What they are doing to her is the right thing to do...or ...it isn't.

But they should be consistent. If they chose to demonize her for singing this song, they should do the same to Paul Robeson.

Or if not...well again, they should do the same to Robeson.

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
19  Greg Jones    5 years ago

To apply the left's logic, that would be racist.

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
20  Sean Treacy    5 years ago

The Yankees were racist. 

I'm surprised they haven't banned from existence and monument park in Yankee stadium burned to the ground.