╌>

The Working Poor Should Never Vote For Trump

Category:  Op/Ed

By:  john-russell  •  5 years ago  •  72 comments

The Working Poor Should Never Vote For Trump

Trump claims we have "the greatest economy ever", and that certainly sounds good to many people. If you own a lot of stock or have a job in technology you are likely doing much better. And an expansive need for service jobs, and the necessity for honest people to do some sort of paying work, has lowered the unemployment rate to a decades long low of 3.6%. It all sounds great. But it really isn't that great for millions upon millions of people. 

Wages rose 4.4 percent for low wage workers in March as compared to March 2018.

In March, the poorest 25% saw their paychecks increase 4.4% from a year earlier

No doubt Trump would brag about how great that is. 

Let's say someone is making 12 dollars an hour working at, say Walmart. Or they were making that figure in March 2018. In March 2019, thanks to the "greatest economy in history" they are now making 12*1.044, or 12.53 an hour. Sounds decent , but let's factor in inflation, which is 2 percent right now. Because someone making 12 dollars an hour almost certainly spends ALL of their paycheck, saving very little or none, his salary is reduced by 2%. So his real salary is not 12.53 in 2019, it is 12.28 per hour. 

Let's say someone else was president and instead of wages going up 4.4 in the past year (thanks to "the greatest economy ever"), wages only wet up 2.5 percent.  Instead of his salary being 12.50 an hour , it would be 12.25. 

So for a quarter an hour, is it worth it to support the worst person ever to occupy the office of the president?   If you are a hard worker at Walmart, and the country has "the greatest economy ever" does .25 an hour sound like true progress? 

Of course, many of the working poor make less than 12 dollars an hour, and even the places which have high minimum wages in effect are phasing them in over as many as five years. I read the other day that 40% of Americans make less than $30,000 a year. That is a lot of people. Has Trump really done a thing for them?  Trump wants to cut back on social safety net programs, cut back on Medicaid and food stamps (SNAP). A recent story reports that Trump wants to RAISE the federal poverty level which would result in many people losing their "welfare" (many working poor receive federal aid).

At least the Democrats offer the potential for hope that income inequality can be addressed. Trump and the Republicans offer no such hope. When you consider that Trump is the lowest character person we have ever seen in any public office, there is no reason for any of the low income people in America to vote for him. 

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1  author  JohnRussell    5 years ago

We have too many low income people for "the greatest economy ever" to have any real meaning for them. 

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
1.1  Greg Jones  replied to  JohnRussell @1    5 years ago

What exactly have the Democrats done for middle class and poor lately?

I guess we will see come election time if the voters will be fooled by the left wing lies and promises they don't intend to keep.

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
1.1.1  Bob Nelson  replied to  Greg Jones @1.1    5 years ago

[deleted Warning, do not spam the site with this. If you do, you will get a 2 day vacation.]

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
1.1.2  Greg Jones  replied to  Bob Nelson @1.1.1    5 years ago

Who?

Me or Bob?   jrSmiley_26_smiley_image.gif

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
1.1.3  XXJefferson51  replied to  Greg Jones @1.1.2    5 years ago

The latter.  See metafied group for the evidence.  

MrFrost
Professor Expert
1.1.4  MrFrost  replied to  Greg Jones @1.1    5 years ago
What exactly have the Democrats done for middle class and poor lately?

Every time Obama proposed middle class tax cuts, (three times), the repubs voted against it. Trumps, "middle class tax cuts", didn't exist and even if the did, they are long gone with the trade wars which is costing the average middle class income $780.00 a year and soy bean farmers are folding all over the country. 

Trumps middle class tax cuts were nothing more than a lie, just like the lie he told just before the mid terms; "There is a 10% middle class tax cut coming very soon!!!". How shocking, there was no plan, it was nothing but another lie to get votes. 

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
1.1.5  XXJefferson51  replied to  MrFrost @1.1.4    5 years ago

We the working class did vote for Trump, should vote for Him and will do it again.  The progressives will have to import more dependent foreigners into America to replace us as their dependent base.  

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
1.2  XXJefferson51  replied to  JohnRussell @1    5 years ago

We should vote for Trump.  We the working poor did, and we are going to do it again as we have more and better jobs and our pay is finally going up and those at the bottom are getting the biggest percentage wage increases.   

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
1.2.1  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  XXJefferson51 @1.2    5 years ago

Whether somebody voted for Trump or not is their own business and none of those whose vitriolic and radid hatred of him  says otherwise. Gets old listening to the haters on others on both sides who try to judge and vilify those who do not share their political views.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1.2.2  author  JohnRussell  replied to  Ed-NavDoc @1.2.1    5 years ago

Trump will NEVER be accepted. He is the worst president in the history of this country. I don't know what is so hard for you guys to figure out about that. It is completely obvious. 

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
1.2.3  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  JohnRussell @1.2.2    5 years ago

And pray tell, what "you guys" are you referring to?

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
1.2.4  XXJefferson51  replied to  JohnRussell @1.2.2    5 years ago

Only the Chicago and bi coastal liberal elite believe that about Trump.  

It Is ME
Masters Guide
2  It Is ME    5 years ago

"At least the Democrats offer the potential for hope that income inequality can be addressed."

They wanna give ya …… GIVE YA ….. $500.00 to $1000.00 a month......for doing nothing. jrSmiley_88_smiley_image.gif

Most of the "Poor" working class probably didn't finish high School.

Moral to that story is....at least get a high School Diploma. H.S. is "FREE" !

Oh.....and

Big Gov. has programs that help you if you couldn't help yourself ! I hear it's called "Adult Training" Programs. They help fund it too.

But ya gotta "Want" enough to "DO IT" !

That "Free" money to sit on your ass is sooooo enticing though !

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
2.1  author  JohnRussell  replied to  It Is ME @2    5 years ago

[deleted]

It Is ME
Masters Guide
2.1.1  It Is ME  replied to  JohnRussell @2.1    5 years ago
A lot of your comments make little sense. Thanks for Exhibit Z

Like this one ? :

"We have too many low income people for "the greatest economy ever" to have any real meaning for them."

That's reminiscent of the ""Employment is low because one person has two or three jobs" shaking the fuck out of ones head comment !

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
2.2  XXJefferson51  replied to  It Is ME @2    5 years ago

The unemployment rate for high school dropouts is down to about 5% due to Trump policies.  Trump has done a lot to improve the outlook for the working class as well as the middle class in America.  

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
3  Bob Nelson    5 years ago

"I could stand in the middle of Fifth Avenue and shoot someone... and not lose a single supporter!"
     - Donald Trump, during the campaign, 2016

It doesn't matter how badly Trump screws his followers. They adore him. Literally and figuratively.

It Is ME
Masters Guide
3.1  It Is ME  replied to  Bob Nelson @3    5 years ago
It doesn't matter how badly Trump screws his followers.

Which follower has been screwed ?

If you listen to liberals, only they have been screwed.

I give kudos to TRUMP for that then. jrSmiley_13_smiley_image.gif

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
3.1.1  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  It Is ME @3.1    5 years ago

Carrier was full of supporters when he promised to protect their jobs.  Not soon after, they relocated to Mexico.  I think that qualifies as "getting screwed".

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
3.1.2  Bob Nelson  replied to  It Is ME @3.1    5 years ago
[delete]

It Is ME
Masters Guide
3.1.3  It Is ME  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @3.1.1    5 years ago
Not soon after, they relocated to Mexico.

Not True !

It Is ME
Masters Guide
3.1.4  It Is ME  replied to  Bob Nelson @3.1.2    5 years ago

jrSmiley_10_smiley_image.gif

Save the Lounging Whales ?

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
3.1.5  Bob Nelson  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @3.1.1    5 years ago
I think that qualifies as "getting screwed".

He has ensured jobs for Harley-Davidson, too. O-o-o-o-p-s...

And of course the famous Foxconn factory in Wisconsin...

And all those coal-miner jobs...

And yet they believe him, and adore him...

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
3.1.6  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  It Is ME @3.1.3    5 years ago

True.  In Indianapolis, hundreds of Carrier factory jobs there are moving to Mexico. 

It Is ME
Masters Guide
3.1.7  It Is ME  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @3.1.6    5 years ago

Some Jobs yes....not the entire company as you noted before.

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
3.1.8  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  It Is ME @3.1.7    5 years ago

Trump made promises that he can't keep.....color me soooooooooooo suprised.  Keep on drinking the Kool Aid.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
3.1.9  Texan1211  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @3.1.8    5 years ago

Can you name a President under which we lost NO jobs?

It Is ME
Masters Guide
3.1.10  It Is ME  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @3.1.8    5 years ago
Trump made promises that he can't keep.....color me soooooooooooo suprised.  Keep on drinking the Kool Aid.

I take it, even he, couldn't get "More Money" for you ?

I was always taught.....YOU/ME, Control our own destiny's. 

is that not True ?

katrix
Sophomore Participates
3.1.11  katrix  replied to  Texan1211 @3.1.9    5 years ago
Can you name a President under which we lost NO jobs?

Possibly William Harrison, since he caught pneumonia right after his inauguration and therefore had a very short presidency.

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
3.1.12  XXJefferson51  replied to  It Is ME @3.1    5 years ago

Me too.  The more Trump has done in office the more I like him.  I enjoy and feed off of the anger of the NY, Chicago, and Ca elites who lost power to us through him.  

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
3.1.13  XXJefferson51  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @3.1.8    5 years ago

It’s better than the diarrhea water the secular progressives have been cramming down our throats from 2009 to 2016.  

Dean Moriarty
Professor Quiet
3.2  Dean Moriarty  replied to  Bob Nelson @3    5 years ago

If he does a better job of supporting the issues that matter to them than his opposition he will retain their support. 

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
3.3  Greg Jones  replied to  Bob Nelson @3    5 years ago
It doesn't matter how badly Trump screws his followers.

So...tell us with your great wisdom how Trump screws his followers.

Why should I vote for any Democrat next year?

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
3.3.1  XXJefferson51  replied to  Greg Jones @3.3    5 years ago

What?  Not one answer to your important question?  Shocking, I say!  

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
4  Bob Nelson    5 years ago

[deleted Warning, do not spam the site with this. If you do, you will get a 2 day vacation. Last warning.]

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
4.1  XXJefferson51  replied to  Bob Nelson @4    5 years ago

Trump is doing a great job for the middle and working classes and there is no reason for any of us to vote democrat next year.  

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
4.1.1  Bob Nelson  replied to  XXJefferson51 @4.1    5 years ago

I gave some examples of Trump failing his Unthinking Faithful TM . Could you please give a few examples of his successes?

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
4.1.2  Bob Nelson  replied to  XXJefferson51 @4.1    5 years ago

Hello?

Anyone home?

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
4.1.3  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  XXJefferson51 @4.1    5 years ago

Seriously dude?  Are you that Kool Aid intoxicated?

Texan1211
Professor Principal
4.1.4  Texan1211  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @4.1.3    5 years ago

Is our economy better than, worse than, or the same now as it was under Obama?

JBB
Professor Principal
4.1.5  JBB  replied to  Texan1211 @4.1.4    5 years ago

Considering Trump has us running trillion dollar deficits it is much worse...

Texan1211
Professor Principal
4.1.6  Texan1211  replied to  JBB @4.1.5    5 years ago
Considering Trump has us running trillion dollar deficits it is much worse...

Not for the first time, and probably not the last.

Wages rising, unemployment down, inflation in check.

Yep, it is just horrible!

The GOP isn't fiscally conservative. They spend WAY too much, as do Democrats.

I can admit that while most Democrats can't.

Ronin2
Professor Quiet
4.1.7  Ronin2  replied to  JBB @4.1.5    5 years ago

So Obama runs trillion dollar deficits that is for our own good; or at the very worst all Bush Jr's fault.

When Trump does it, it is Trrrummmppppp!!!!!!

Barack Obama :   Added $8.588 trillion, a 74 percent increase from the $11.657 trillion debt at the end of Bush’s last budget, FY 2009.

MrFrost
Professor Expert
4.1.8  MrFrost  replied to  Texan1211 @4.1.6    5 years ago

Our deficit was decreasing when Obama left office, it's now rising faster than ever. 

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
4.1.9  XXJefferson51  replied to  Ronin2 @4.1.7    5 years ago

Also the FY 2009 budget was a CR at prior year levels until almost two months after Bush left office.  The actual FY 09 budget was passed by a democrat congress and signed by a democrat president so virtually all the deficit spending that year was under and by Obama.  

bbl-1
Professor Quiet
6  bbl-1    5 years ago

Unfortunately, to many of 'the working poor' do not exercise their right to vote.  And in some states, to many of them have been deleted from the rolls.

JBB
Professor Principal
7  JBB    5 years ago

Nobody should vote for Trump again because he shouldn't be allowed to run again.

If the goddamn gop had not sold its soul we would not have to endure this bullshit...

Texan1211
Professor Principal
7.1  Texan1211  replied to  JBB @7    5 years ago
Nobody should vote for Trump again because he shouldn't be allowed to run again.

According to the U.S. Constitution, he IS allowed to run again.

Please cite any law supporting your wishes about him not running again.

JBB
Professor Principal
7.1.1  JBB  replied to  Texan1211 @7.1    5 years ago

The 25th Ammendment to The United States Constitution...

Texan1211
Professor Principal
7.1.2  Texan1211  replied to  JBB @7.1.1    5 years ago

[deleted]

JBB
Professor Principal
7.1.3  JBB  replied to  Texan1211 @7.1.2    5 years ago

How so? Trump is incompetent to serve so he is ineligible to run again...

Texan1211
Professor Principal
7.1.4  Texan1211  replied to  JBB @7.1.3    5 years ago

Willing to back that talk up with a bet?

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
7.1.5  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  JBB @7.1.3    5 years ago

By whose standards, yours? Nice try but no cigar!jrSmiley_86_smiley_image.gif

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
7.1.6  XXJefferson51  replied to  JBB @7.1.1    5 years ago

Really?  How exactly does it do that?  On what logical, reasonable, or objective grounds? I am going to relish the next campaign and working to re elect him.  Just the response of the bi coastal liberal elites to four more years is enough to make the effort all worth while.  

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
7.1.7  XXJefferson51  replied to  Texan1211 @7.1.2    5 years ago

Kudos!

Dismayed Patriot
Professor Quiet
8  Dismayed Patriot    5 years ago

You know, I totally agree there should never be such things as a literacy test to vote, such attempts to disenfranchise Americans were truly shameful. However, I think there should not only be a literacy test but an IQ test and a requirement to publicize all of a candidates school grade reports going back at least to high school. I have no doubt that would have prevented this monumental moron from ever being elected. The bar to become President should be much higher than just the right to vote or being of a certain age and being a citizen for a certain amount of time.

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
8.1  Jack_TX  replied to  Dismayed Patriot @8    5 years ago
However, I think there should not only be a literacy test but an IQ test and a requirement to publicize all of a candidates school grade reports going back at least to high school. I have no doubt that would have prevented this monumental moron from ever being elected.

You really imagine that mattered?

You really imagine they voted for Trump because they thought he was smart or nice or honest or because he loves puppies??

I can promise you they didn't.  A Trump vote was simply the way to express their anger.

cms5
Freshman Quiet
9  cms5    5 years ago
At least the Democrats offer the potential for hope that income inequality can be addressed.

Addressing income equality...it that like the discussion the Democrats have had for years? How did Obama address income inequality? The PPACA? How did that work out for the working poor? What about the middle class?

Potential for hope...that's always offered...and forgotten once in office.

People will vote for the candidate that they prefer...regardless of what others think of them for doing so.