New frontiers in sucking: Why is the Trump campaign selling plastic straws?

Via:  john-russell  •  4 weeks ago  •  309 comments

New frontiers in sucking: Why is the Trump campaign selling plastic straws?
To be sure, the Trump administration didn't start this conservative trend of obsessive griping about even the most minor inconveniences. For decades, right-wing media has been making great hay over consumer shifts meant to protect the environment, from low-flush toilets to higher automotive fuel efficiency standards. It's always based on the same narrative, which is that no sacrifice, no matter how small, should ever be made by the aging conservative base, no matter how serious the issue at...

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

The right's bizarre plastic-straw fetish is about making a lack of empathy central to conservative identity

Why is the Donald Trump  campaign so obsessed with drinking straws?

JRP_4156-Edit-Edit_900x900.jpg?v=1564688

In the midst of a news cycle focused on how much Trump is centering white nationalism in his 2020 presidential campaign, there was another story that just weird enough to capture some media attention: The Trump campaign waded into the plastic vs. paper straws debate by selling $15 branded plastic straws. This was accompanied by a robust messaging push — with both Trump and his campaign manager, Brad Parscale, repeating talking points about how "Liberal paper straws don't work."

The press mostly covered this story as a kooky bit of comic relief, a matter of Trump attempting to corner the cranky old man vote. In truth, however, the straw story exposes something much darker about the kind of politics Trump and the Republican Party are peddling in the 21st century.

As I explain in my book, "Troll Nation," conservatives have given up trying to make substantive arguments, and have been reduced to a politics centered on trolling liberals. To make it worse, Trump is using this lower-level trolling to train his supporters to equate the identity of "conservative" with pettiness and selfishness, conditioning them so that their first instinct is indifference or even glee when confronted with more serious examples of Trump's depravity.

The debate over plastic straws in the U.S. really kicked off in 2015 when a group of marine biologists taped themselves handling a sea turtle with a straw deeply embedded in its nostril and blocking its airway. More than 2 million people watched the researchers remove the straw as the helpless animal bled and squirmed with pain. Reacting to the outrage, a number of corporations enacted policies aimed at reducing their use of plastic straws. Progressive politicians, locally in the U.S. and nationally in Canada, moved towards passing laws restricting "single use" plastics like straws.

Conservatives, however, reacted by doubling down on plastic straws, even making it a right-wing meme to post pictures of yourself drinking out of plastic straws.

It's not that conservatives hate sea turtles, per se. It's more that watching innocent animals suffer makes liberals cry, and making liberals cry is the central motivating force of modern conservatism. (At this point, it's almost the only one.) So contributing to the suffering of sea turtles, by osmosis, has become a conservative value.

What's telling about this is that the plastic straw isn't really a presidential issue. The disappearance of the straws in some places has largely been a matter of the market doing its invisible-hand thing, which conservatives are supposed to like — corporations choosing to shift their policies and practices, for their own reasons. When straws have become a legislative issue, it's only been on the state and local level. Realistically speaking, Trump has no power, as president, to change the accessibility levels of plastic straws at your local soda-pop dispensing establishment.

Despite this, Trump took time to rant at reporters about the issue, proving once again that his appeal to his voters has little, if anything, to do with his actual policies, most of which are economically damaging to the people who voted for him in order to troll the liberals.

This entire right-wing straw obsession normalizes and even encourages conservatives to believe that it's not just right but necessary to prioritize even the most inconsequential convenience for themselves over the suffering of others. And by "others," I'm not talking about the crying liberals who populate the fantasy lives of conservatives. I mean the sea turtles.

It's genuinely difficult, for anyone with an ounce of empathy, to watch that video of the sea turtle getting the straw removed from its nose without feeling just awful about it. So in order to achieve the all-important goal of trolling the liberals, conservatives, by necessity, must kill that part of themselves that feels compassion for an animal that, through no fault of its own, is made to suffer.

That's why this kind of apparently inconsequential trolling from conservatives should be viewed as a kind of boot camp for greater acts of emotional depravity. Learn to kill the empathy response when it comes to sea turtles, and soon you're callous enough that you can shrug off the deaths of migrant children being killed by Trump's racist  policies at the border.

Practice moral indifference to the suffering of others long enough and soon you can be a Corey Lewandowski-level Jedi master of learned sociopathy, responding to a child crying at losing her mother by saying "womp womp" on national television.

To be sure, the Trump administration didn't start this conservative trend of obsessive griping about even the most minor inconveniences. For decades, right-wing media has been making great hay over consumer shifts meant to protect the environment, from low-flush toilets to higher automotive fuel efficiency standards. It's always based on the same narrative, which is that no sacrifice, no matter how small, should ever be made by the aging conservative base, no matter how serious the issue at hand.

In 2011, as Media Matters tracked at the time, there was an enormous push in conservative media to get audiences in a lather over having to use energy-efficient light bulbs that were slightly different than the ones their audience had grown up using. The differences between the newer light bulbs and older ones are inconsequential and would likely have passed without notice by the vast majority of consumers. But after a heavy push from Fox News and other outlets, suddenly much of conservative America decided it was an outrage that light bulb shapes were changing.
"Do you want to be forced to have the squiggly ones?" lamented Mike Jerrick of "Fox & Friends" at the time.
The implicit message of this media blitz was clear: The future of the planet for your children and grandchildren matters less than having light bulbs that look like the ones you remember from childhood. This selfishness is breathtaking, especially in light of the astronomical gap between the nonexistent sacrifice of changing your light bulbs and the worldwide crisis that is climate change.

Conservative media, however, frames it not in terms of compassion or concern for the environment, but as a culture-war issue. By encouraging conservatives to see plastic straws or old-fashioned light bulbs as markers of conservative American values, Republican media and politicians also encourage the idea that profound selfishness is an inextricable aspect of that conservative identity.

So really, it's not a small thing. Bit by bit, these little troll-the-liberals stunts build and reinforce the idea that there's something ennobling and necessary about killing their own capacity for compassion or concern for others. This problem has been building for some time in conservative circles, but with the Trump administration pulling stunts like selling these straws or getting the First Lady to wear a jacket that literally advertises "I really don't care," the trolling isn't just a thing. It's everything.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
smarty_function_ntUser_is_admin: user_id parameter required
Find text within the comments Find 

JohnRussell
1  seeder  JohnRussell    4 weeks ago

So really, it's not a small thing. Bit by bit, these little troll-the-liberals stunts build and reinforce the idea that there's something ennobling and necessary about killing their own capacity for compassion or concern for others. This problem has been building for some time in conservative circles, but with the Trump administration pulling stunts like selling these straws or getting the First Lady to wear a jacket that literally advertises "I really don't care," the trolling isn't just a thing. It's everything.

devangelical
1.1  devangelical  replied to  JohnRussell @1    4 weeks ago

a straw most represents POS/POTUS term in office

Trout Giggles
1.1.1  Trout Giggles  replied to  devangelical @1.1    4 weeks ago

Because it sucks?

katrix
1.1.2  katrix  replied to  Trout Giggles @1.1.1    4 weeks ago

Now the delusional wanna-be-dictator is announcing things like this: 

Our great American companies are hereby ordered to immediately start looking for an alternative to China

He truly doesn't understand that he's not an emperor - he actually thinks he can just issue commands like this. 

Trout Giggles
1.1.3  Trout Giggles  replied to  katrix @1.1.2    4 weeks ago

Oh, I bet those companies are all over buying the factories and hiring the people they need RIGHT! NOW! so they can obey the Emperor's most recent order.

JohnRussell
1.1.4  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  katrix @1.1.2    4 weeks ago
Donald J. Trump
@realDonaldTrump
·
3h

The vast amounts of money made and stolen by China from the United States, year after year, for decades, will and must STOP. Our great American companies are hereby ordered to immediately start looking for an alternative to China, including bringing..

....your companies HOME and making your products in the USA. I will be responding to China’s Tariffs this afternoon. This is a GREAT opportunity for the United States. Also, I am ordering all carriers, including Fed Ex, Amazon, UPS and the Post Office, to SEARCH FOR & REFUSE,....

....all deliveries of Fentanyl from China (or anywhere else!).

JohnRussell
1.1.5  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  JohnRussell @1.1.4    4 weeks ago

Are all American workers going to be immediately paid sufficient wages to be able to afford products that are totally made in the USA? 

JohnRussell
1.1.6  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  JohnRussell @1.1.4    4 weeks ago

Stock market is down 500 pts today because of trumps tweet

Texan1211
1.1.7  Texan1211  replied to  JohnRussell @1.1.5    4 weeks ago

I suppose some will simply have to do without, or find alternatives.

Trout Giggles
1.1.8  Trout Giggles  replied to  JohnRussell @1.1.4    4 weeks ago

He does realize that this is a capitalist country and he can't just order American companies to come home and carrier companies like Fed Ex to refuse delivering their goods?

JohnRussell
1.1.9  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  Texan1211 @1.1.7    4 weeks ago

Can Donald Trump "order" US companies to obey him? lol. 

JohnRussell
1.1.10  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  Trout Giggles @1.1.8    4 weeks ago

At the rate he is going off his rocker lately, he's not going to make it to the election in 15 months. 

Texan1211
1.1.11  Texan1211  replied to  JohnRussell @1.1.10    4 weeks ago

If I had a dollar for every wrong prediction someone on the left has made regarding Trump, I could retire!

Texan1211
1.1.12  Texan1211  replied to  JohnRussell @1.1.9    4 weeks ago

Not even close to what I posted.

LOL!

Bob Nelson
1.1.13  Bob Nelson  replied to  JohnRussell @1.1.9    4 weeks ago

No, he can't.

OTOH, Xi can tell Chinese companies what to do. That's why China will win.

Bob Nelson
1.1.14  Bob Nelson  replied to  Texan1211 @1.1.11    4 weeks ago

If I had a dollar for every lie Trump has told...

If I had a dollar for every...

Very cheap argument.

Texan1211
1.1.15  Texan1211  replied to  Bob Nelson @1.1.14    4 weeks ago
If I had a dollar for every...
Very cheap argument.

Well, it wasn't an argument. So there's that.

Just stating the facts1

Heartland American
1.1.16  Heartland American  replied to  Trout Giggles @1.1.1    4 weeks ago

I’d buy them strictly to offend our left wing friends here and that would be satisfaction enough.  A lot of California Republicans bought them because of recent state laws on the subject and it was an inexpensive way to tell our legislature and the voters who put its super majority there what they can do where the sun doesn’t shine.  

Heartland American
1.1.17  Heartland American  replied to  Bob Nelson @1.1.13    4 weeks ago

China can only win if our democrats openly collude with and side with them.  

Bob Nelson
1.1.18  Bob Nelson  replied to  Heartland American @1.1.17    4 weeks ago
China can only win if our democrats openly collude with and side with them.  

Is that a new "MAGA Standard Bullet Point"?

Are you people setting up to blame the Dems for the horrific mess Trump is making of American foreign/trade relations? Are you already recognizing the catastrophic outcome that seems inevitable, now?

sandy-2021492
1.1.19  sandy-2021492  replied to  Heartland American @1.1.16    4 weeks ago

That's nothing to be proud of, HA.  What would Jesus do?

Bob Nelson
1.1.20  Bob Nelson  replied to  Heartland American @1.1.16    4 weeks ago
I’d buy them strictly to offend our left wing friends

Nowadays, wingnuts are not satisfied with doing nothing to prevent the planet burning.

Nowadays, wingnuts are PROUD to contribute to the planet burning.

Heartland American
1.1.21  Heartland American  replied to  Bob Nelson @1.1.20    4 weeks ago

The vast majority of plastics in the ocean is not coming from America. It is Americans who are developing technologies to clean up after others.  The banning of plastic straws and making it illegal for restaurants to give them to customers is sheer stupidity that deserves to be mocked.  

Heartland American
1.1.22  Heartland American  replied to  sandy-2021492 @1.1.19    4 weeks ago

Why don’t you ask Him directly?  

Bob Nelson
1.1.23  Bob Nelson  replied to  Heartland American @1.1.21    4 weeks ago

ScratchHead.gif~c200

Lemme try to understand you... You're proudly claiming that America is depoluting... and you're condemning bans on plastic products... at the same time .

I kinda sorta see an incoherence there.

MrFrost
1.1.24  MrFrost  replied to  Heartland American @1.1.21    4 weeks ago
The vast majority of plastics in the ocean is not coming from America.

And you have tracked all the trash in the ocean and you know where it's all coming from? Most countries follow rules regarding recycling, we don't. We gave up on it 20 years ago. 

So as usual, you have made a statement that is literally the exact opposite of the truth. 

Heartland American
1.1.25  Heartland American  replied to  JohnRussell @1.1.6    3 weeks ago

A great buying opportunity for Monday.  Thanks for the panic!  

Don Overton
1.1.26  Don Overton  replied to  Texan1211 @1.1.15    3 weeks ago

Your cheap arguments are getting so old.  At least take another like of make believe

Don Overton
1.1.27  Don Overton  replied to  Heartland American @1.1.17    3 weeks ago

Such a lying comment.  You've already lost, just pay attention

bugsy
1.1.28  bugsy  replied to  Don Overton @1.1.26    3 weeks ago
Your cheap arguments are getting so old.

88aa5a9708fe10faa3529b8420fc07aa.png

sandy-2021492
1.1.29  sandy-2021492  replied to  Heartland American @1.1.22    3 weeks ago

How, exactly, do you propose that I do that?  If he ever lived, he's dead now.

However, I have read words he is supposed to have said.  And none of them seem to express approval of such behavior - intentionally sowing strife.  They do exhort us to be good caretakers of that with which we've been entrusted.

katrix
1.1.30  katrix  replied to  Heartland American @1.1.25    3 weeks ago
A great buying opportunity for Monday.  Thanks for the panic!  

Yet if this had happened under Obama, you would have been screeching your head off about what he was doing to the economy.

Hypocrisy is not attractive.

Bob Nelson
1.1.31  Bob Nelson  replied to  sandy-2021492 @1.1.29    3 weeks ago

"Love one another".

Trump is a "fine person"....

Texan1211
1.1.32  Texan1211  replied to  Don Overton @1.1.26    3 weeks ago
At least take another like of make believe

If you are going to drive by and insult, can it at LEAST make SOME sense instead of this crap?

Vic Eldred
1.1.33  Vic Eldred  replied to  Bob Nelson @1.1.31    3 weeks ago

I'm only concerned with his role as President and ya, he is a fine one.

Dismayed Patriot
1.1.34  Dismayed Patriot  replied to  Vic Eldred @1.1.33    3 weeks ago
I'm only concerned with his role as President and ya, he is a fine one.

Donald Trump is a "fine" President only in the way that the tiki torch march Nazi's were "fine people". Trump and his "fine people's" heads are so full of crap there's simply no room for brains.

Vic Eldred
1.1.35  Vic Eldred  replied to  Dismayed Patriot @1.1.34    3 weeks ago

You still pushing that one?  He was supposedly talking about Nazi's and we are to believe antifa on the other side? It wouldn't be about the fine people on either side of the statue debate, would it?

I hate to use an exact quote, but I hope everyone gets this one right:

"Make the lie big, make it simple, keep saying it and eventually they will believe it"

Now the motto of the liberal media.

Texan1211
1.1.36  Texan1211  replied to  Vic Eldred @1.1.35    3 weeks ago
"Make the lie big, make it simple, keep saying it and eventually they will believe it"Now the motto of the liberal media.

Goebbel or Alinsky Rules?

Vic Eldred
1.1.37  Vic Eldred  replied to  Texan1211 @1.1.36    3 weeks ago

HitlerQuotesOnJews-1820070566.jpg

The very man the American left has come to emulate!

Texan1211
1.1.38  Texan1211  replied to  Vic Eldred @1.1.37    3 weeks ago

Well, I wouldn't go that far, but there certainly are similarities in tactics used.

Vic Eldred
1.1.39  Vic Eldred  replied to  Texan1211 @1.1.38    3 weeks ago

You wouldn't?  I assume you never read Mein Kampf?  

You say tactics - For the Nazis they were tactics, for the left it's "who they are." (To quote somebody else)

Texan1211
1.1.40  Texan1211  replied to  Vic Eldred @1.1.39    3 weeks ago
You wouldn't?

Not me. As much as I don't like those tactics, to me, personally, comparing anyone to Hitler isn't right. I think that they are Americans who just don't have a clue on how to govern, not that they are inherently evil. I will fight them but won't stoop to using their own tactics.

I think the Democrats have their very own special set of problems, and I just hop I am dead and buried before they can successfully enact some of their more stupid plans, if they ever do. I suspect they will eventually. I mean, who doesn't succumb to myriad promises of free stuff eventually?

Dismayed Patriot
1.1.41  Dismayed Patriot  replied to  Vic Eldred @1.1.35    3 weeks ago
"Make the lie big, make it simple, keep saying it and eventually they will believe it"

Trump is the only one I see using this tactic regularly.

Here is the comment in context:

REPORTER: The neo-Nazis started this thing. They showed up in Charlottesville.

TRUMP: Excuse me, they didn't put themselves down as neo-Nazis, and you had some very bad people in that group. But you also had people that were very fine people on both sides. You had people in that group – excuse me, excuse me. I saw the same pictures as you did. You had people in that group that were there to protest the taking down, of to them, a very, very important statue and the renaming of a park from Robert E. Lee to another name.

https://www.politico.com/story/2017/08/15/full-text-trump-comments-white-supremacists-alt-left-transcript-241662

So the question was about neo-Nazi's and he replied "they didn't put themselves down as neo-Nazis, and you had some very bad people in that group. But you also had people that were very fine people on both sides." Then he continued to complain about those supporting the removal of the bigoted confederate monument as if they were the real problem, not the Nazi's who showed up to protest its removal.

So, what have we learned here? That his making that statement wasn't a lie, and he wasn't just talking about the people on "either side of the statue debate". I do find it rather sad that those defending the Nazi's and Trumps comments about them are now trying to smear their opponents with using a Nazi propaganda technique. You really don't get much lower than that. Very sad and completely shameful to watch.

Vic Eldred
1.1.42  Vic Eldred  replied to  Texan1211 @1.1.40    3 weeks ago
Not me. As much as I don't like those tactics, to me, personally, comparing anyone to Hitler isn't right. I think that they are Americans who just don't have a clue on how to govern, not that they are inherently evil.

You are 100% right. Making the comparison usually means the one doing the comparing has nothing left. You say they are not inherently evil. Let's look at what they have done: Example 1 Brett Kavanaugh - they viciously smeared a decent human being in front of his family and he nation. They aren't the least bid sorry about it. They are more than willing to do it again.  Look at what they are doing to our democracy. They have people voting on their skin color to counter credible voters. They turn on family members and friends who don't agree with them. Tell me that is not evil?

Sean Treacy
1.1.43  Sean Treacy  replied to  Dismayed Patriot @1.1.41    3 weeks ago

Imagine claiming to put his comment in context and completely  ignoring where Trump  explained that "I'm not talking about the neo-Nazis and the white nationalists, because they should be condemned totally. "

Talk about the big lie. Have some self respect. 

Dismayed Patriot
1.1.44  Dismayed Patriot  replied to  Sean Treacy @1.1.43    3 weeks ago
and completely  ignoring where Trum\p  explained

We all know Trump can read off the prompter about who his staff tell him to condemn, but when asked a direct question about neo-Nazi's in context, he said there were "very fine people on both sides". How is saying he said that supposed to be a lie? Are you going to tell me that wasn't him on the Access Hollywood bus bragging about grabbing women by the pussy either?

XDm9mm
1.1.45  XDm9mm  replied to  Dismayed Patriot @1.1.44    3 weeks ago
"very fine people on both sides"

Yep, there were very fine people on both sides....   even the counter protester lowlife scumbag thugs trying to incite fights.   

Vic Eldred
1.1.46  Vic Eldred  replied to  Dismayed Patriot @1.1.41    3 weeks ago
So the question was about neo-Nazi's and he replied "they didn't put themselves down as neo-Nazis, and you had some very bad people in that group.

No, that wasn't a question it was a reporters biased opinion. Trump responded with the people for and against statues. We all know that there are descent people who are offended by them. There are also people who may have ancestors who fought for the Confederacy. They have a right to an opinion too. I for one thought that Robert E Lee was one o the greatest military minds in all of history. The fact that two violent extremist groups were attracted to the issue had nothing to do with Trump's statement. Trump was refering to the people who showed up to protest on either side PEACEFULLY!

So you took all that time looking for an actual reference to Nazi's and came up empty!

Here is the part the leftist media left out: The Trump remarks that the neo-Nazis and white nationalists are “rough, bad people” and “very bad people” who “ should be condemned totally .”

THE LIE WAS A LIE!

Vic Eldred
1.1.47  Vic Eldred  replied to  Dismayed Patriot @1.1.44    3 weeks ago
We all know Trump can read off the prompter about who his staff tell him to condemn

So you are admitting that you ignore what you want and twist what you want?

Texan1211
1.1.48  Texan1211  replied to  Vic Eldred @1.1.42    3 weeks ago

@1.1.42

Oh, without a doubt they have done some evil things.

But to be fair, it isn't all of them and it isn't all the time. 

I want no part of most of their hare-brained schemes.

I am always reminded of Reagan's quote on liberals:

"The trouble with our Liberal friends is not that they are ignorant ~ it's just that they know so much that isn't so!"

Extremists in any groups are dangerous, IMO.

I have no problem at all painting the Democratic Party as being full of extremists now--as evidenced by the rise of the Freshman Four.

I have no problem with helping the Democratic Party commit political suicide.

Vic Eldred
1.1.49  Vic Eldred  replied to  Texan1211 @1.1.48    3 weeks ago

They have committed political suicide, barring a last minute surprise they should go down easily. As a matter of fact the IG report is all but finished and the AG is deciding on charging McCabe, so that will be in the news very soon. Things are only going to get worse for them.

BTW I know you are a good guy. You give them the benefit of simply being wrong. I'm just fed up with them.

Sean Treacy
1.1.50  Sean Treacy  replied to  Dismayed Patriot @1.1.44    3 weeks ago

p can read off the prompter about who his staff tell him to condemn

So, in your world, he was reading off a teleprompter at this press conference? 

An honest summary of his press conference remarks in context would be "Trump believes there were some very fine people protesting the removal of the statute, but they don't include the Neo-Nazis and white supremacists, who he condemned totally."

Texan1211
1.1.51  Texan1211  replied to  Sean Treacy @1.1.50    3 weeks ago
An honest summary of his press conference remarks in context would be "Trump believes there were some very fine people protesting the removal of the statute, but they don't include the Neo-Nazis and white supremacists, who he condemned totally."

Yes, THAT would be an honest, LOGICAL summary.

Which is why so many on the left simply refuse to recognize it.

Why tell the truth when they can lie about Trump?

Bob Nelson
1.1.52  Bob Nelson  replied to  Vic Eldred @1.1.37    3 weeks ago

Vic Eldred
1.1.53  Vic Eldred  replied to  Bob Nelson @1.1.52    3 weeks ago

It's called freedom of speech/freedom of thought

Bob Nelson
1.1.54  Bob Nelson  replied to  Vic Eldred @1.1.53    3 weeks ago

This is a privately owned site. If Management wishes to forbid outrageous posts, "freedom of whatever" is irrelevant.

Vic Eldred
1.1.55  Vic Eldred  replied to  Bob Nelson @1.1.54    3 weeks ago

Outrageous posts? Do tell. Why not consult with management?

Dismayed Patriot
1.1.56  Dismayed Patriot  replied to  Sean Treacy @1.1.50    3 weeks ago
"Trump believes there were some very fine people protesting the removal of the statute, but they don't include the Neo-Nazis and white supremacists, who he condemned totally."

That's not how the white supremacists and KKK members interpreted his comments.

"Thank you President Trump for your honesty & courage to tell the truth about #Charlottesville & condemn the leftist terrorists in BLM/Antifa," - David Duke

"Trump's statement was fair and down to earth. #Charlottesville could have been peaceful, if police did its job." - Richard Spencer

Go ahead, debase yourselves by defending the indefensible, invent your own interpretations to change what we all know he said and meant. I watched the first episode of "Breaking Hate" the other night and you hear white supremacist neo-Nazi's praising Trump saying he's the most right wing President in their life times and has inspired more white supremacists to stand up in support. I find it rather sad that apparently some here feel the need to defend such vile ideology with deflection and distraction and attempt to paint the other side as the bad guys even though no one on the left rammed their car into a crowd of innocents that day. The same can't be said of the protesters fighting to preserve a monument to a vile confederate piece of shit.

JohnRussell
1.1.57  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  Vic Eldred @1.1.46    3 weeks ago
The fact that two violent extremist groups were attracted to the issue had nothing to do with Trump's statement. Trump was refering to the people who showed up to protest on either side PEACEFULLY!

The Unite The Right neo Nazi white supremacist rally for that date was announced weeks in advance. Why didnt the "decent" folks who only wanted to demonstrate on behalf of the statue stay home or change their date?  I suspect they were happy for the help. 

Vic Eldred
1.1.58  Vic Eldred  replied to  JohnRussell @1.1.57    3 weeks ago
I suspect they were happy for the help. 

I doubt it, but I know the fuckin left liked having their storm troopers out there! You know the antifa thugs who NEVER EVER get prosecuted!

JohnRussell
2  seeder  JohnRussell    4 weeks ago

At Dollar Tree you can get 50 plastic straws for a dollar.  On the official Trump website they charge you $ 1.50  EACH   for a Trump straw. 

Suckers. 

Texan1211
2.1  Texan1211  replied to  JohnRussell @2    4 weeks ago

Interesting.

On Biden's site, they charge $30 for a hat, $25 for a coffee mug, $27 for a t-shirt or tank.

All items are available at a Dollar store for a buck.

JohnRussell
2.1.1  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  Texan1211 @2.1    4 weeks ago

I can buy drinking straws for two cents a piece. Trump could at least give the suckers 50 straws for their 15 dollars.  They would still be ridiculously over priced, but at least it wouldnt be quite as laughable. 

Trout Giggles
2.1.2  Trout Giggles  replied to  JohnRussell @2.1.1    4 weeks ago

Did I read that right? One straw for $15?

JohnRussell
2.1.3  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  Trout Giggles @2.1.2    4 weeks ago

pkg. of ten plastic drinking straws for 15 dollars. 

Trout Giggles
2.1.4  Trout Giggles  replied to  JohnRussell @2.1.3    4 weeks ago

Still, that seems a bit steep.

But a fool and his money are soon parted

Texan1211
2.1.5  Texan1211  replied to  JohnRussell @2.1.1    4 weeks ago
I can buy drinking straws for two cents a piece.

That's nice. I can buy a shirt for 50 cents. So what?

They would still be ridiculously over priced, but at least it wouldnt be quite as laughable.

Got the PERFECT solution for you.

DON'T BUY THEM!

Problem solved.

You're welcome!

WallyW
2.2  WallyW  replied to  JohnRussell @2    4 weeks ago

Irrelevant, fake, non news

afb082319dAPR20190823014524.jpg

Perrie Halpern R.A.
2.2.1  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  WallyW @2.2    4 weeks ago

Wally,

I have a curious mind, so I went looking to see if this had any truth in it ( I have to say it did sound nuts) and no... looky here:

https://shop.donaldjtrump.com/products/trump-straws

I got to say, not impressive to an on looker. I really can't believe that politics has come to this. 

KDMichigan
2.2.2  KDMichigan  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @2.2.1    4 weeks ago

What is wrong with raising campaign money, they are also making money the same way selling Fredo T-shirts.

I think it's hillaryious that they are trolling the left and making money. 

Perrie Halpern R.A.
2.2.3  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  KDMichigan @2.2.2    4 weeks ago

I have no problem with raising money and I looked around the website and there was a lot of good merchandise to buy. 

But this is just petty and bad for the environment and this is not news. We have been fighting garbage in our waters since the 70's. 

And why do we have to troll anyone? Why can't politics be about issues instead of trolling? It used to be.

Dismayed Patriot
2.2.4  Dismayed Patriot  replied to  WallyW @2.2    4 weeks ago

Donald Trump did welcome help from Russia and has not only refused to condemn their meddling in our election, he's refused to even acknowledge it. Donald Trump is obviously a racist based on his words, actions and continued attacks on minorities and people of color. As for the recession, if the economy was in such great shape, why is Trump trying to get the Fed to CUT rates and use quantitative easing to keep it in good shape?

KDMichigan
2.2.5  KDMichigan  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @2.2.3    4 weeks ago
And why do we have to troll anyone? Why can't politics be about issues instead of trolling? I

You say that but never once address the users of NT that label Trump supporters daily, "If you support Trump your a fascist", "Trump supporters suck"

you see it everyday and IMO that's nothing but trolling.

WallyW
2.2.6  WallyW  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @2.2.1    4 weeks ago

I really can't believe that politics has come to this. 

Me neither.

I should have been more clear that I referring to the relevance and newsworthiness of the article

katrix
2.2.7  katrix  replied to  KDMichigan @2.2.5    4 weeks ago
you see it everyday and IMO that's nothing but trolling.

And you chortling gleefully about deliberately trying to piss off liberals isn't?

Ronin2
2.2.8  Ronin2  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @2.2.3    4 weeks ago
And why do we have to troll anyone? Why can't politics be about issues instead of trolling? It used to be.

That stopped how long ago? Political trolling has been going on for as long as I can remember; it has just gotten much more toxic.

Issues don't win elections. Energizing your base wins the primary. Trying to pretend you care about anyone but your base, while maintaining that base wins the general election.

WallyW
2.2.9  WallyW  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @2.2.3    4 weeks ago
Why can't politics be about issues instead of trolling?

As the owner of the forum, and moderator of last resort, its up to you to limit it.

Comment 2.2.4 is good example of scripted, boilerplate trolling, in my opinion.

JohnRussell
2.2.10  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  KDMichigan @2.2.5    4 weeks ago
"If you support Trump your a fascist", "Trump supporters suck" you see it everyday and IMO that's nothing but trolling.

actually,  it is trying to save the country. 

It Is ME
2.2.11  It Is ME  replied to  JohnRussell @2.2.10    4 weeks ago
actually,  it is trying to save the country. 

From What ?

KDMichigan
2.2.12  KDMichigan  replied to  katrix @2.2.7    4 weeks ago
deliberately trying to piss off liberals isn't

How is laughing at Trump Campaign trolling considered Trolling.

I'm sitting here waiting for this explanation.

JohnRussell
2.2.13  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  WallyW @2.2.9    4 weeks ago

Coming from you, that comment is the height of irony. 

katrix
2.2.14  katrix  replied to  KDMichigan @2.2.12    4 weeks ago
I think it's hillaryious that they are trolling the left and making money. 

This came from your keyboard.

Tacos!
2.2.15  Tacos!  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @2.2.3    4 weeks ago
But this is just petty and bad for the environment

What makes you think the people who buy these things are planning on throwing them in the ocean?

Trout Giggles
2.2.16  Trout Giggles  replied to  Ronin2 @2.2.8    4 weeks ago
it has just gotten much more toxic.

And social media has made it that much more so

Perrie Halpern R.A.
2.2.17  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  WallyW @2.2.9    4 weeks ago

At most that comment is off topic and for the record, so are we now. 

Heartland American
2.2.18  Heartland American  replied to  Tacos! @2.2.15    4 weeks ago

Most people who buy something like that keep it unopened as a collectors item having the satisfaction of raising campaign cash for the good side while irritating the dark side of the force. 

MrFrost
2.2.19  MrFrost  replied to  KDMichigan @2.2.5    4 weeks ago
You say that but never once address the users of NT that label Trump supporters daily, "If you support Trump your a fascist",

Not saying it has never happened, but I have not seen anyone say that, "if you support trump, you're a fascist". 

"Trump supporters suck"

I make no claims as to the sexual orientation of any trump supporter. 

hillaryious

Hilarious

Heartland American
2.2.20  Heartland American  replied to  It Is ME @2.2.11    3 weeks ago

Well Trump did save the country from Obama and Hillary.  For that we are grateful.  

Heartland American
2.2.21  Heartland American  replied to  Tacos! @2.2.15    3 weeks ago

Inquiring minds want to know. I was thinking 🤔 of buying a pack of them and then getting into my Kia SUV and driving over to the coast and throwing it into the ocean 🌊 

Heartland American
2.2.22  Heartland American  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @2.2.3    3 weeks ago

It just amazes me that something so minor, meant as a simple joke got taken so seriously be the other side.  It was political humor that touched a nerve on our side and the item sold out in a couple of hours after they first appeared.  It seems that they were restocked based on this article and the need of the I have to feel offended about something crowd to vent about it.  Its almost funny the anger of one side at discovering an inside joke of the other side.  Just a big overreach by the need to feel offended about something side.

Bob Nelson
2.2.23  Bob Nelson  replied to  Heartland American @2.2.22    3 weeks ago
meant as a simple joke

Hilarious! Destroying the planet is s-o-o-o-o funny!

Don Overton
2.2.24  Don Overton  replied to  WallyW @2.2    3 weeks ago

[Deleted]

Don Overton
2.2.25  Don Overton  replied to  WallyW @2.2.9    3 weeks ago

[deleted] as you know, and showing factual content.

Don Overton
2.2.26  Don Overton  replied to  JohnRussell @2.2.13    3 weeks ago

Amen

Don Overton
2.2.27  Don Overton  replied to  It Is ME @2.2.11    3 weeks ago

From trump republicans

Don Overton
2.2.28  Don Overton  replied to  Heartland American @2.2.21    3 weeks ago

Don't doubt that a bit

Dismayed Patriot
2.3  Dismayed Patriot  replied to  JohnRussell @2    4 weeks ago
Suckers. 

Yup. Gullible country mice handing over their hard earned money to the slimy snake oil salesman who will roll out of town with all their cash as quickly as he rolled in.

Ronin2
2.3.1  Ronin2  replied to  Dismayed Patriot @2.3    4 weeks ago

Which is different from from any other politician? They are all out for themselves.

You are just pissed Trump's campaign is turning a major profit margin on a very cheap one use item.

squiggy
2.4  squiggy  replied to  JohnRussell @2    4 weeks ago

For a $20,000 plate, I can wrestle Michelle Obama for a pork chop. Everything has a price.

Ronin2
2.4.1  Ronin2  replied to  squiggy @2.4    4 weeks ago

I think I would just give her the pork chop.

Otherwise she might try eating your hand along with it.

Dismayed Patriot
2.4.2  Dismayed Patriot  replied to  Ronin2 @2.4.1    4 weeks ago
Otherwise she might try eating your hand along with it.

Way to infer she's either a cannibal or animal. I've no doubt many on the right still see every black person as a bone through the nose African native. It's likely in response to the bitterness they harbor at knowing deep down that she's far smarter, better educated and has more class and poise in her pinky than the entire Trump tribe.

squiggy
2.4.3  squiggy  replied to  Dismayed Patriot @2.4.2    4 weeks ago

You can try to play that phony card but the insincerity is laughable in the shadow of the ‘pig Sanders’ et al that goes on daily.

Trout Giggles
2.4.4  Trout Giggles  replied to  squiggy @2.4.3    4 weeks ago
I can wrestle Michelle Obama for a pork chop

Give it up. You've already shown who you are

You can try to play that phony card but the insincerity is laughable in the shadow of the ‘pig Sanders’

Tessylo
2.4.5  Tessylo  replied to  Trout Giggles @2.4.4    4 weeks ago
'Give it up. You've already shown who you are'
jrSmiley_81_smiley_image.gifjrSmiley_81_smiley_image.gifjrSmiley_81_smiley_image.gif
'You can try to play that phony card but the insincerity is laughable in the shadow of the ‘pig Sanders’
C.O.W.

Trout Giggles
2.4.6  Trout Giggles  replied to  Tessylo @2.4.5    4 weeks ago

As long as the O stands for old or ornery LOL!

squiggy
2.4.7  squiggy  replied to  Trout Giggles @2.4.4    4 weeks ago

“Give it up. You've already shown who you are”

A deplorable? You just now got the email?

Dismayed Patriot
2.4.8  Dismayed Patriot  replied to  squiggy @2.4.7    4 weeks ago

[deleted]

squiggy
2.4.9  squiggy  replied to  Dismayed Patriot @2.4.8    4 weeks ago

[delete]

Heartland American
2.4.10  Heartland American  replied to  squiggy @2.4    4 weeks ago

She is a pork chop.  

MrFrost
2.4.11  MrFrost  replied to  squiggy @2.4    4 weeks ago
For a $20,000 plate, I can wrestle Michelle Obama for a pork chop. Everything has a price.

You could probably pay less and bone Malaria Trump, of course you'll die of AIDS, but roll the dice if ya want. 

Texan1211
2.4.12  Texan1211  replied to  MrFrost @2.4.11    4 weeks ago
You could probably pay less and bone Malaria Trump, of course you'll die of AIDS, but roll the dice if ya want.

Oh, do tell how you became an expert on the First Lady!

Been looking at lots and lots of internet pictures of her?

Was that from the same source that told you lies before?

Don Overton
2.4.13  Don Overton  replied to  Ronin2 @2.4.1    3 weeks ago

Two examples one after the other of trolling

squiggy
2.4.14  squiggy  replied to  Don Overton @2.4.13    3 weeks ago

Two avatars from one keyboard. Why does Heckle have to validate Jeckle?

SteevieGee
2.5  SteevieGee  replied to  JohnRussell @2    4 weeks ago
Suckers.

Hah!!  I get it.

†hε pε⊕pレε'š ƒïšh
4  †hε pε⊕pレε'š ƒïšh    4 weeks ago

I heard he got two scoops of ice cream but everyone else only got one. Outrageous I tell ya!

Let's have a group tantrum....3....2....1....

Perrie Halpern R.A.
4.1  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  †hε pε⊕pレε'š ƒïšh @4    4 weeks ago

That would be funny BF, but here it is, right from Trump's page. 

This is the very stuff that was talked about on this podcast: 

Dan had it right. 

r.t..b...
4.2  r.t..b...  replied to  †hε pε⊕pレε'š ƒïšh @4    4 weeks ago
two scoops of ice cream

"I drink your milkshake!"

JohnRussell
4.3  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  †hε pε⊕pレε'š ƒïšh @4    4 weeks ago

I heard he got two scoops of ice cream but everyone else only got one. Outrageous I tell ya!
-
-
-
As I explain in my book, "Troll Nation," conservatives have given up trying to make substantive arguments, and have been reduced to a politics centered on trolling liberals. To make it worse, Trump is using this lower-level trolling to train his supporters to equate the identity of "conservative" with pettiness and selfishness, conditioning them so that their first instinct is indifference or even glee when confronted with more serious examples of Trump's depravity.

Trout Giggles
4.3.1  Trout Giggles  replied to  JohnRussell @4.3    4 weeks ago

Nailed it!

Tacos!
4.4  Tacos!  replied to  †hε pε⊕pレε'š ƒïšh @4    4 weeks ago

Don't forget about the time he fed hamburgers to college students.

The horror!

katrix
4.4.1  katrix  replied to  Tacos! @4.4    4 weeks ago
Don't forget about the time he fed hamburgers to college students. The horror!

You really think it's OK to serve cold Big Macs to athletes whose accomplishments are being celebrated at the White House? I'm pretty sure you're not as low class as Trump - if you were honoring someone like that and had a chef at your command, wouldn't you make the effort to actually honor them with decent food? It was insulting to them.

Tacos!
4.4.2  Tacos!  replied to  katrix @4.4.1    4 weeks ago

Could you make a different choice? Of course! You could do both better and worse. That's always the case. Is it something you should spend more that about two seconds being upset over? Uh . . . no.

katrix
4.4.3  katrix  replied to  Tacos! @4.4.2    4 weeks ago
Is it something you should spend more that about two seconds being upset over? Uh . . . no.

Well, you brought it up. While I hardly consider it a "horror" - it was absolutely disrespectful.

Most people could - and would - do better.

SteevieGee
4.4.4  SteevieGee  replied to  Tacos! @4.4.2    4 weeks ago
You could do both better and worse.

It's hard to do worse than a cold big mac.

sandy-2021492
4.4.5  sandy-2021492  replied to  SteevieGee @4.4.4    4 weeks ago

Cold fries are pretty disgusting.

Don Overton
4.4.6  Don Overton  replied to  SteevieGee @4.4.4    3 weeks ago

How about a cold taco

Heartland American
4.4.7  Heartland American  replied to  katrix @4.4.3    3 weeks ago

Who said the burgers and fries were cold?  No one.  Young men like those items.  Also there was a government shutdown going on at the time. 

It Is ME
5  It Is ME    4 weeks ago

Trump sure does know which Liberal Button to push. jrSmiley_10_smiley_image.gif  

In the Mean Time …… Things are getting signed and accomplished in D.C..

r.t..b...
5.1  r.t..b...  replied to  It Is ME @5    4 weeks ago
In the Mean Time ……

Unintentional, but that is an accurate description for the current state of affairs. 

Perrie Halpern R.A.
5.1.1  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  r.t..b... @5.1    4 weeks ago
Things are getting signed and accomplished in D.C..

Getting things signed and getting them passed is not the same thing. Just ask Obama.

It Is ME
5.1.2  It Is ME  replied to  r.t..b... @5.1    4 weeks ago
Unintentional, but that is an accurate description for the current state of affairs. 

jrSmiley_18_smiley_image.gif

It Is ME
5.1.3  It Is ME  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @5.1.1    4 weeks ago
Getting things signed and getting them passed is not the same thing. Just ask Obama.

Obama just didn't know how to "Get 'er dun" .

Perrie Halpern R.A.
5.1.4  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  It Is ME @5.1.3    4 weeks ago

He did the same signing and Trump is doing, so I guess it depends on if you are a partisan or not. Frankly not impressed by either. 

It Is ME
5.1.5  It Is ME  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @5.1.4    4 weeks ago

I favor signings that actually do something for the economy and growth.

I do not favor signings that do nothing more than grow D.C. wealth.

So far....MY economic Wealth is growing right now. Before ….. Not so much !

Heartland American
5.2  Heartland American  replied to  It Is ME @5    3 weeks ago

Tax cuts, deregulation, energy independence and exportation, rebuilt national defense, progress on the border, federal judges, strong economy, religious liberty 🗽.  Trump is an awesome 👏 American President.  

It Is ME
5.2.1  It Is ME  replied to  Heartland American @5.2    3 weeks ago

Low unemployment …….

But Trump sucks 'cause he won't placate to the "Wimpy Snowflake Safety Pin wearers" !

Don Overton
5.3  Don Overton  replied to  It Is ME @5    3 weeks ago

That comment is comical and utter bullshit

XDm9mm
6  XDm9mm    4 weeks ago
Why is the Donald Trump  campaign so obsessed with drinking straws?

Simple.   It's a marketing gimmick to show the insanity of the left and raise campaign funds at the same time.  It's really not rocket science, unless of course one has absolutely no understanding of the business world and marketing.   Which one has to surmise, the author of this article suffers from.   

katrix
6.1  katrix  replied to  XDm9mm @6    4 weeks ago
It's a marketing gimmick to show the insanity of the left

Since when is it insane to reduce plastic waste? And why do you assume that only lefties give a crap about pollution? I bought collapsible metal straws and carry those with me - instead of using a plastic straw when I go to a bar.  Sure, it's a tiny step, but every little bit adds up.

What's insane is those who will buy these Trump straws just to spit in the face of the "left" and the environment. Trump's laughing all the way to the bank at these suckers; he plays them so easily and they go out and buy his straws.

KDMichigan
6.1.1  KDMichigan  replied to  katrix @6.1    4 weeks ago
Trump's laughing all the way to the bank at these suckers; he plays them so easily and they go out and buy his straws.

Yeah because the people don't know that the 25 dollars for 10 straws is a campaign contribution..../s

XDm9mm
6.1.2  XDm9mm  replied to  katrix @6.1    4 weeks ago
I bought collapsible metal straws and carry those with me - instead of using a plastic straw when I go to a bar. 

Ok...  so you drink your booze with a metal straw.    Got it.   You've got to be going to bars quite frequently to believe you're helping the environment and not polluting.

Trump's laughing all the way to the bank at these suckers;

Sure he is...  it's helping to bolster his election war chest.   

he plays them so easily and they go out and buy his straws.

Of course they do.  Much like the other stuff for 'sale' at his web site which also funds his campaign.

Every time someone buys something, it helps bolster his campaign with names, addresses and phone numbers of potential financial donors.  It's a BRILLIANT marketing strategy.   But, one would need to understand business to realize that.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
6.1.3  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  XDm9mm @6.1.2    4 weeks ago
It's a BRILLIANT marketing strategy.   But, one would need to understand business to realize that.

That appeals to who?

Seriously, I never vote up John's articles (just ask him), but I did this time. I wonder how many other indies are looking at this and just shaking their heads. 

katrix
6.1.4  katrix  replied to  XDm9mm @6.1.2    4 weeks ago
But, one would need to understand business to realize that.

I understand business.

I also understand the value of not being a dick; something Trump will never learn.

XDm9mm
6.1.5  XDm9mm  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @6.1.3    4 weeks ago
That appeals to who?

People that are tired of being called, NAZIS, misogynists, Islamaphobes, Homophobes, Deplorables, KKK, Racists, and any of the plethora of other denigrating derogatory vitriolic epithets they can think of to brand and tar Trump and/or Republican / Conservative supporters.

Trout Giggles
6.1.6  Trout Giggles  replied to  katrix @6.1    4 weeks ago

I've seen those collapsible straws and like the idea...but how do you clean them? I'm not really a germaphobe but one must be concerned with bacteria

Trout Giggles
6.1.7  Trout Giggles  replied to  XDm9mm @6.1.5    4 weeks ago

[Deleted]

All y'all is getting tired of the liberals fighting back, ain't ya? We used to just roll over and curl up into a ball and scream "UNCLE" because we were all too worried about taking the high road.

Well that bitch don't hunt no more.

WallyW
6.1.8  WallyW  replied to  katrix @6.1    4 weeks ago

Did you know that those hard paper straws the left advocates won't biodegrade?

XDm9mm
6.1.9  XDm9mm  replied to  Trout Giggles @6.1.7    4 weeks ago

[Deleted]

It Is ME
6.1.10  It Is ME  replied to  WallyW @6.1.8    4 weeks ago

I remember the "Paper Straw" back when I was a kid. They sucked.

Halfway through the drink, they went limp, and paper got in your mouth.

Now that was recycling. In one Hole, Out the other.

WallyW
6.1.11  WallyW  replied to  Trout Giggles @6.1.7    4 weeks ago

we were all too worried about taking the high road.

[Deleted]

KDMichigan
6.1.12  KDMichigan  replied to  Trout Giggles @6.1.7    4 weeks ago
All y'all is getting tired of the liberals fighting back, ain't ya?

Crying about President Trump daily is called fighting back?

We used to just roll over and curl up into a ball and scream "UNCLE"

Since when? The left has always had fits if they don't get their way.

because we were all too worried about taking the high road.

I just love how people revise history.

katrix
6.1.13  katrix  replied to  Trout Giggles @6.1.6    4 weeks ago
I've seen those collapsible straws and like the idea...but how do you clean them?

The bartender is always willing to wash it for me ... so it's not dirty when I put it back in the case. Then when I get home (or if I'm using at home with iced tea) I wash it with the brush that came with it.

Tessylo
6.1.14  Tessylo  replied to  XDm9mm @6.1.2    4 weeks ago

Yes and the tRump is such a stellar businessman!

Freefaller
6.1.15  Freefaller  replied to  It Is ME @6.1.10    4 weeks ago
Halfway through the drink, they went limp, and paper got in your mouth.

I'm guessing things have changed in the last 40(ish) years.  I've only had one given to me (at an A&W) with my drink, it was sturdy and did not fall apart or go limp at all.

katrix
6.1.16  katrix  replied to  Freefaller @6.1.15    4 weeks ago

Our local restaurants use paper straws that only fall apart in hot water. They're fine for cold drinks.

Texan1211
6.1.17  Texan1211  replied to  Trout Giggles @6.1.7    4 weeks ago
All y'all is getting tired of the liberals fighting back, ain't ya?

Not at all! I love  good scrap!

We used to just roll over and curl up into a ball and scream "UNCLE" because we were all too worried about taking the high road.

Some might say that now some liberals just Troll over and scream at the sky!

Well that bitch don't hunt no more.

Seems to be doing just fine!

Perrie Halpern R.A.
6.1.18  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  WallyW @6.1.8    4 weeks ago

They do biodegrade, they just don't in dumps without composting. Many of our dumps are composting now. Plastic never biodegrades. 

But the real issue is not in our dumps, (btw most of our garbage used to be shipped to China, but not anymore), it is that it ends up in our oceans. There are literal islands of plastic floating around the oceans. 

https://www.bbc.com/news/av/world-41866046/the-giant-mass-of-plastic-waste-taking-over-the-caribbean

Perrie Halpern R.A.
6.1.19  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  It Is ME @6.1.10    4 weeks ago
Now that was recycling. In one Hole, Out the other.

But we are not recycling. It's ending up in our oceans. 

Heartland American
6.1.20  Heartland American  replied to  katrix @6.1.4    4 weeks ago

I disagree with everything you said.  

MrFrost
6.1.21  MrFrost  replied to  Freefaller @6.1.15    4 weeks ago

At this point I am thinking the cons only want to use products that destroy the environment. 

Heartland American
6.1.22  Heartland American  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @6.1.3    3 weeks ago

They shake their heads in wonder as to what’s the big deal?  And who really cares?  Other than busy bodies who passed such laws in bi coastal urban areas and see it as the direct shot at them that it truly is.  

Heartland American
6.1.23  Heartland American  replied to  KDMichigan @6.1.12    3 weeks ago

Bingo!  You are so right on about this. 

Don Overton
6.1.24  Don Overton  replied to  WallyW @6.1.8    3 weeks ago
Wrong

Heartland American
6.1.25  Heartland American  replied to  Texan1211 @6.1.17    3 weeks ago

jrSmiley_13_smiley_image.gifjrSmiley_10_smiley_image.gifjrSmiley_81_smiley_image.gif

The Magic Eight Ball
6.1.26  The Magic Eight Ball  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @6.1.3    3 weeks ago
I wonder how many other indies are looking at this and just shaking their heads.

statistically, in percentages, the nearest whole number is zero.

but yepp. a small fraction of one percent of the country is outraged...

the rest could care less if they only knew how.

Freedom Warrior
6.1.27  Freedom Warrior  replied to  katrix @6.1    3 weeks ago
Since when is it insane to reduce plastic waste?

It's a meaningless gesture sybolic of the the fascist leanings embraced by large numbers of people charactertized as having left wing political affiliations.

FLYNAVY1
6.1.28  FLYNAVY1  replied to  Freedom Warrior @6.1.27    2 weeks ago

Having worked with plastics from commodity to engineering grades for the last thirty-plus years, as well as running a recycling and wash plant for the stuff, you could help yourself by learning why plastic recycling works and should be a way of life for every person on this planet.

Recycling of any raw material from glass, metals, and yes plastics is called being responsible.... The word "responsible" is not something often found in Libertarian vocabularies. 

Perrie Halpern R.A.
6.2  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  XDm9mm @6    4 weeks ago
Why is the Donald Trump  campaign so obsessed with drinking straws? Simple.   It's a marketing gimmick to show the insanity of the left and raise campaign funds at the same time. 

That might be, but the message stinks. For a generation who grew up on this ad: 

which was totally unpolitical, to throw that aside for politics, is the very problem with politics. 

XDm9mm
6.2.1  XDm9mm  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @6.2    4 weeks ago
That might be, but the message stinks.

Please PH, in the grand scheme of things, do you really believe the minimal number of straws that the Trump campaign will sell will make any impact to the environment?  I'll posit that the vast majority sold will stay in the packaging and be nothing more than mementos to be saved, much like hats, T-shirts, banners and such.   

But, I guess those vinyl bumper stickers, plastic yard signs and the plethora of other marketing materials are ok?  Right?

Perrie Halpern R.A.
6.2.2  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  XDm9mm @6.2.1    4 weeks ago

Of course not. But it is the message that is being sold. That this is just another BS issue made up by the Dems, when in fact, that couldn't be farther from the truth. And if they are doing it our of spite, really who are they hurting in the long run?

katrix
6.2.3  katrix  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @6.2.2    4 weeks ago
this is just another BS issue made up by the Dems, when in fact, that couldn't be farther from the truth.

Party over country. Trump over party.  Trolling the left over the environment.

It must suck to be so petty.

XDm9mm
6.2.4  XDm9mm  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @6.2.2    4 weeks ago
But it is the message that is being sold.

Obviously you don't like the message...   TRUMP.

That is after all the message on the straw.  It's called marketing.

Dismayed Patriot
6.2.5  Dismayed Patriot  replied to  XDm9mm @6.2.1    4 weeks ago
do you really believe the minimal number of straws that the Trump campaign will sell will make any impact to the environment

I have no doubt we will see within the next two years photos of turtles and birds with Trump straws stuck through their throats and gullets. It truly is insanity that they would do such a heinous thing, and even more insane that many of his supporters cheer it on. It makes me sick to my stomach to watch. Just when you thought they couldn't go any lower, they bring in the back hoe and start digging.

XDm9mm
6.2.6  XDm9mm  replied to  Dismayed Patriot @6.2.5    4 weeks ago
I have no doubt we will see within the next two years photos of turtles and birds with Trump straws stuck through their throats and gullets.  It truly is insanity that they would do such a heinous thing,

Neither do I.  People on the left will intentionally impale the animals to prove their point.

Thank you very much for acknowledging that you can foresee that occurrence.

JohnRussell
6.2.7  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  Dismayed Patriot @6.2.5    4 weeks ago

2F3C4E7B00000578-3353963-image-a-6_14497

There have been turtles found with plastic straws stuck in their noses. 

It Is ME
6.2.8  It Is ME  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @6.2    4 weeks ago
For a generation who grew up on this ad: 

Didn't change anything much, any more than this did:

katrix
6.2.9  katrix  replied to  XDm9mm @6.2.6    4 weeks ago
People on the left will intentionally impale the animals to prove their point.

You are really something else.  Alex Jones must love you.

Tessylo
6.2.10  Tessylo  replied to  XDm9mm @6.2.6    4 weeks ago
'Neither do I.  People on the left will intentionally impale the animals to prove their point.'

More like those on the 'right'.  I'll show those libturds and the environment.    

It Is ME
6.2.11  It Is ME  replied to  Tessylo @6.2.10    4 weeks ago
More like those on the 'right'.  I'll show those libturds and the environment.    

An Old Vid from back in the year (2015) of OBAMA.....is soooooo ….well ….. The same Ol' "Nothing to do with TRUMP" !

Tacos!
6.2.12  Tacos!  replied to  JohnRussell @6.2.7    4 weeks ago
There have been turtles found with plastic straws stuck in their noses. 

So stop littering. There, that wasn't so complicated.

It Is ME
6.2.13  It Is ME  replied to  Tacos! @6.2.12    4 weeks ago

I hear that there was something invented called "Trash Cans".

Must not have caught on yet ! jrSmiley_89_smiley_image.gif

katrix
6.2.14  katrix  replied to  Tacos! @6.2.12    4 weeks ago

Clearly you don't care enough about the environment to have bothered paying any attention what happens to our trash, or even our recycling. Otherwise you wouldn't have made that comment.

Your grandchildren will pay the price for your ridicule.

Tacos!
6.2.15  Tacos!  replied to  katrix @6.2.14    4 weeks ago
Clearly you don't care enough about the environment to have bothered paying any attention what happens to our trash

Oh yes. "Clearly." jrSmiley_80_smiley_image.gif  

And what are you doing with your trash? Do you even produce trash or do you hate the environment, too? Nah, you probably don't produce trash. Your sweat doesn't smell either, I bet.

Do you have any idea how much pollution is created to harvest the metals in your computer or generate the electricity to power it and your internet connection? Clearly, you don't care about the environment.

katrix
6.2.16  katrix  replied to  Tacos! @6.2.15    4 weeks ago
Do you even produce trash

No, I don't. I am perfect.

I even deliberately avoided becoming a multimillionaire - I chose not to invest in bitcoin because of the impact on the environment of harvesting bitcoin. if it weren't for that, I'd be rich. Oh, wait - I'd have lost all my money. Never mind.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
6.2.17  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  XDm9mm @6.2.4    4 weeks ago

The message isn't Trump. The message is to bug liberal. From the ad:

Liberal paper straws don’t work. STAND WITH PRESIDENT TRUMP and buy your pack of recyclable straws today.

And for the record, long before plastic straws we used paper straws and they worked and they were not "liberal" straws. 

Trout Giggles
6.2.18  Trout Giggles  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @6.2.17    4 weeks ago

Yes they were...you just didn't know it!

Heartland American
6.2.19  Heartland American  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @6.2    4 weeks ago

I love the message because it is so directed at New York and California and the political majorities there.  The surest way to win the elections in Pennsylvania, Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa closely while losing by the millions in Ca and NY.  Making California and New York the targets of things like this are big winners in the rest of America.  

MrFrost
6.2.20  MrFrost  replied to  XDm9mm @6.2.1    4 weeks ago
Please PH, in the grand scheme of things, do you really believe the minimal number of straws that the Trump campaign will sell will make any impact to the environment? 

So the right yells and screams that people on the left don't live by their own 'rules' and are not, "living green". So the left finds a way to eliminate at least some plastic from landfills and what does the right say? 

do you really believe the minimal number of straws that the Trump campaign will sell will make any impact to the environment?

Damned if ya do, damned if you don't. 

If GW was brought up 35 years ago by a republican, the right would be tripping over themselves trying to reduce waste, but since a democrat brought it up? "That's all bullshit!!!!!!!!!!!" 

Heartland American
6.2.21  Heartland American  replied to  XDm9mm @6.2.1    3 weeks ago

Those other things don’t take direct shots at the sacred holy cows 🐄 of the left.  

MrFrost
6.2.22  MrFrost  replied to  Heartland American @6.2.21    3 weeks ago
sacred holy cows 🐄 of the left.  

Jesus fucking christ HA, did you go shopping at "Hyperbole-R-Us"? 

Besides better to like something living than the rights messiah, AR-15, limiting freedom of speech, and violating one law after another like your less god, "trumptard the idiotic". 

Don Overton
6.2.23  Don Overton  replied to  Heartland American @6.2.19    3 weeks ago

Yet what large cities are doing is working and the southern states are awash in trash

Heartland American
6.2.24  Heartland American  replied to  MrFrost @6.2.22    3 weeks ago

This whole seed and the non conservatives responses to it is the definition of Hyperbole-R-Us.   Wild over reaction to a nothing burger. I simply decided to stoop to their level for a moment. 

The Magic Eight Ball
6.2.25  The Magic Eight Ball  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @6.2    3 weeks ago
For a generation who grew up on this ad:

the generation who grew up on that ad banned paper bags in favor of plastic bags in order to save the environment (trees)

"this generation wants to ban plastic straws in favor of paper straws just to complete the circle of stupid

meanwhile... the problem is not using paper or plastic. the problem is with proper "disposal.   

90% of plastic polluting our oceans comes from just 10 rivers

https://www.weforum.org/agenda/2018/06/90-of-plastic-polluting-our-oceans-comes-from-just-10-rivers/

none of those rivers are in the usa

MrFrost
6.2.26  MrFrost  replied to  Heartland American @6.2.24    3 weeks ago
This whole seed and the non conservatives responses to it is the definition of Hyperbole-R-Us

So you're going with, "I know you are but what am I"? 

Wow... LOL

Freedom Warrior
6.2.27  Freedom Warrior  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @6.2    3 weeks ago

Crying Indian?   Why would that have any meaning.  People are fucking pigs.  Do away with people and you do away with the problem.  Would you be on board for that?  I wouldn't.

TᵢG
6.2.28  TᵢG  replied to  Freedom Warrior @6.2.27    3 weeks ago
Do away with people and you do away with the problem. 

Running to the absurd extreme is not an argument.

The solution of course is not to eliminate the human species but for the human species to (slowly but surely) become more responsible in its use of planetary resources.   

JohnRussell
6.3  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  XDm9mm @6    4 weeks ago

You can afford to pay 15 dollars for 10 plastic drinking straws. Go for it, load up with a lifetime supply. 

XDm9mm
6.3.1  XDm9mm  replied to  JohnRussell @6.3    4 weeks ago
You can afford to pay 15 dollars for 10 plastic drinking straws.

Pocket change.   Don't be jealous of what others have.

JohnRussell
6.3.2  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  XDm9mm @6.3.1    4 weeks ago

Buy a thousand packs. You will be helping out your savior. 

XDm9mm
6.3.3  XDm9mm  replied to  JohnRussell @6.3.2    4 weeks ago

Don't have the space to store them.  I just write checks to various campaigns.  I don't need trinkets.  I want the results they provide me and others while in office.

Heartland American
6.3.4  Heartland American  replied to  XDm9mm @6.3.3    4 weeks ago

True enough.  I’m a minor Trump and RNC donor but don’t anything but a Trump 2020 flag and a 2020 Trump Presidential collectors coin. 

Heartland American
6.4  Heartland American  replied to  XDm9mm @6    4 weeks ago

Speaking of the article, the link button above to the article doesn’t work.  It leads to a 404 error.  Perhaps it’s time to question the legitimacy of the seeded article?  

Texan1211
6.4.1  Texan1211  replied to  Heartland American @6.4    4 weeks ago

Do they allow seeded articles from right bias sources here?

Or just left bias ones?

JohnRussell
6.4.2  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  Heartland American @6.4    4 weeks ago

Amanda Marcotte is a legitimate writer for Salon. I dont know why the link doesnt work.

Here is the same article on another site. 

https://www.alternet.org/2019/07/heres-why-the-trump-campaign-is-offering-supporters-a-new-way-to-suck/

And of course we can go the Trump website and see the straws for sale. 

Texan1211
6.4.3  Texan1211  replied to  JohnRussell @6.4.2    4 weeks ago

Ooh, an even farther left biased site!

Bob Nelson
6.4.4  Bob Nelson  replied to  Texan1211 @6.4.1    4 weeks ago
Do they allow seeded articles from right bias sources here?

You may have noticed CP4 (or whatever he's calling himself these days), Vic Eldred, Badfish, ...

Yeah. Right bias is allowed.

Texan1211
6.4.5  Texan1211  replied to  Bob Nelson @6.4.4    4 weeks ago

I didn't know--based on the number of complaints on almost every article they post.

Bob Nelson
6.4.6  Bob Nelson  replied to  Texan1211 @6.4.3    4 weeks ago

Why don't you seed something yourself, to find out?

Texan1211
6.4.7  Texan1211  replied to  Bob Nelson @6.4.6    4 weeks ago

I said I didn't know, and now I do.

So I will simply disregard when people attack sources as being right biased. I will remind them that it is perfectly acceptable no matter how much they don't like it.

JohnRussell
6.4.8  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  Texan1211 @6.4.7    4 weeks ago

The facts of this seed are not in dispute. Trump sells plastic straws on his website. Be happy I seeded it from another site. If I wrote the article myself it wouldnt have been as kind. 

Texan1211
6.4.9  Texan1211  replied to  JohnRussell @6.4.8    4 weeks ago

I never disputed the facts of the article, John.

Did you think I did? 

Based on WHAT exactly?

Heartland American
6.4.10  Heartland American  replied to  Texan1211 @6.4.1    4 weeks ago

Let’s just say that for every liberal site called questionable, 11 conservative ones are so labeled because they either link to other conservative sites, are too much in support of the President of the United States, they don’t fully agree with their interpretation of climate change, or they support some sort of evangelical Christian viewpoint on either or origins or moral values.  It’s a content controlling censorship tool.  

Heartland American
6.4.11  Heartland American  replied to  JohnRussell @6.4.2    4 weeks ago

The point is that when there was a link malfunction on one of my conservative article seeds and it was pointed out, a liberal moderator locked my seed until I fixed it.  I’d never expect that to happen here...

Heartland American
6.4.12  Heartland American  replied to  JohnRussell @6.4.8    4 weeks ago

That the Trump campaign sells the straws is great humor and funny.  That bed wetters get all wee wee’d up over it is pure gravy.  

JohnRussell
6.4.13  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  Heartland American @6.4.11    4 weeks ago

[deleted]

Heartland American
6.4.14  Heartland American  replied to  JohnRussell @6.4.13    4 weeks ago

I’m not the one soiling myself over the Trump campaign using a bit of humor at tree hugging earth worshipping progressives expense to raise some money.  All the whining about it here in response to your seed made it all worthwhile.  As a Californication citizen until we get statehood, I relished it more than most.  

devangelical
6.4.15  devangelical  replied to  Heartland American @6.4.11    4 weeks ago

[deleted]

JohnRussell
6.4.16  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  Heartland American @6.4.14    4 weeks ago

I would be ASHAMED to support a pathological liar to lead our country. Why arent you? 

JohnRussell
6.4.17  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  JohnRussell @6.4.13    4 weeks ago
Pinned Tweet
C2nZtLkd_bigger.jpg
Mehdi Hasan
@mehdirhasan
·
Nov 14, 2018
Hey US media folks, here, I would argue immodestly, is how you interview a Trump supporter on Trump's lies:
1:54
6.9M views
From
UpFront

Heartland American
6.4.18  Heartland American  replied to  Bob Nelson @6.4.4    3 weeks ago

And we are unlike the left, very limited in what we can use here.

Heartland American
6.4.19  Heartland American  replied to  devangelical @6.4.15    3 weeks ago

I won’t disagree with you here.  I won’t literally cry about it though.  

Dismayed Patriot
6.4.20  Dismayed Patriot  replied to  Heartland American @6.4.18    3 weeks ago

Just because you can't spread the hate from the Daily Stormer and other lying right wing rags doesn't limit you from making cogent fact based replies. It must be something else that's consistently keeping you from doing so.

Bob Nelson
6.4.21  Bob Nelson  replied to  Heartland American @6.4.18    3 weeks ago
... we are... very limited in what we can use here.

Could you give us a few examples of articles that have been refused?

While I have often complained about the site's Moderation (impossible to do well, considering the "interpretations of the CoC" that they must apply), I have rarely seen articles refused.

Heartland American
6.4.22  Heartland American  replied to  Bob Nelson @6.4.21    3 weeks ago

[Deleted]

MUVA
6.4.23  MUVA  replied to  Heartland American @6.4.22    3 weeks ago

Removed for context

Bob Nelson
6.4.24  Bob Nelson  replied to  Heartland American @6.4.22    3 weeks ago

Please send me a few links by Private Message, just in case there's something worthwhile. The articles that I remember were crap - the site is far better without them.

I posted a piece from Stormfront, after Charlottseville; it was (rightly) deleted because it was crap.

JohnRussell
6.4.25  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  Heartland American @6.4.22    3 weeks ago
Perrie recently locked Vic’s article from Dinesh D’Souza’s site about Trump and Lincoln and what Dinesh said because it originated from American Thinker only and not because of any thing objectionable in the actual article content.

Dnesh D'Souza is an embarrassment to the human race.   His latest "documentary"  got a ZERO rating on Rotten Tomatoes.  lol.  Your sources need an upgrade dude. 

Don Overton
6.4.26  Don Overton  replied to  Texan1211 @6.4.1    3 weeks ago

You've seeded plenty of your own, you should know

Don Overton
6.4.27  Don Overton  replied to  Heartland American @6.4.14    3 weeks ago

Keep dreaming

Heartland American
6.4.28  Heartland American  replied to  Bob Nelson @6.4.24    3 weeks ago

And nothing I listed a couple days ago was in anyway anything like storm front and it’s ridiculous that you label what is actually mainstream conservative and mainstream evangelical Christian stuff as if it’s comparable to that.  

Heartland American
6.4.29  Heartland American  replied to  Bob Nelson @6.4.21    3 weeks ago

there is plenty to complain about, that’s for sure.  See above.  

Heartland American
6.4.30  Heartland American  replied to  JohnRussell @6.4.25    3 weeks ago

Actually they don’t.  They are fine mainstream Christian and mainstream conservative sites.  It is the SPLC that needs an upgrade.  

Bob Nelson
6.4.31  Bob Nelson  replied to  Heartland American @6.4.28    3 weeks ago

Sadly, mainstream conservative and mainstream evangelical Christian stuff is comparable to Stormfront.

Bob Nelson
6.4.32  Bob Nelson  replied to  Heartland American @6.4.30    3 weeks ago
They are fine mainstream Christian and mainstream conservative sites.

In the same spirit as "There were fine people on both sides."

They are in fact neo-fascist fellow-travelers.

Heartland American
6.4.33  Heartland American  replied to  Don Overton @6.4.27    3 weeks ago

Oh I’ll be pushing for statehood for Jefferson until we get statehood or as long as I shall live, even if the Sacramento regime outlaws the attempt.  

Heartland American
6.4.34  Heartland American  replied to  Bob Nelson @6.4.31    3 weeks ago

That’s just a ridiculous lie as well as a ludicrous sweeping generalization.  

Heartland American
6.4.35  Heartland American  replied to  Bob Nelson @6.4.32    3 weeks ago

Only in the eyes of the terrorist enabling hate group SPLC and the simpleton bigots at MBFC.  

Bob Nelson
6.4.36  Bob Nelson  replied to  Heartland American @6.4.34    3 weeks ago

Racism and xenophobia characterize both.

Bob Nelson
6.4.37  Bob Nelson  replied to  Heartland American @6.4.35    3 weeks ago

There are neo-fascist-fellow-traveler seeds on NT every day.

katrix
6.4.38  katrix  replied to  Heartland American @6.4.18    3 weeks ago

It's such a shame that facts have a liberal bias, and that the sources you prefer tend to be utter bullshit. Stop reading such crappy websites and you'll find there is plenty you can seed in here.

Texan1211
6.4.39  Texan1211  replied to  Don Overton @6.4.26    3 weeks ago
You've seeded plenty of your own, you should know

And I am positive you have your usual--zero--proof for what you claim, right?

Don Overton
6.5  Don Overton  replied to  XDm9mm @6    3 weeks ago

[Removed

Paula Bartholomew
7  Paula Bartholomew    4 weeks ago

It is now official.  [Deleted]

Texan1211
8  Texan1211    4 weeks ago

On Warren's site, she is selling T shirts and tank tops for $30--for women, men and youth. She also has a nice $25 onesie for babies, and a nifty $50 hoodie!

I can get all of those things at discount stores for $5 or less.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
8.1  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Texan1211 @8    4 weeks ago

This isn't about the cost of campaign fundraisers. It's about selling known to cause damage to our waterways, to be petty.

r.t..b...
8.1.1  r.t..b...  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @8.1    4 weeks ago
to be petty.

The trump doctrine.

Raven Wing
8.1.2  Raven Wing  replied to  r.t..b... @8.1.1    4 weeks ago
The trump doctrine.

And one so happily shared by his 'ardent' supporters. 

Heartland American
8.1.3  Heartland American  replied to  Raven Wing @8.1.2    3 weeks ago

Waiter, can I have a straw for my Diet Pepsi please?  

Tacos!
8.2  Tacos!  replied to  Texan1211 @8    4 weeks ago
she is selling T shirts and tank tops for $30

She's obsessed with T-shirts!

MrFrost
8.2.1  MrFrost  replied to  Tacos! @8.2    4 weeks ago
She's obsessed with T-shirts!

Can't deny that one. 

Don Overton
8.3  Don Overton  replied to  Texan1211 @8    3 weeks ago

Don't go shopping much do ya Tex.  

Texan1211
8.3.1  Texan1211  replied to  Don Overton @8.3    3 weeks ago
Don't go shopping much do ya Tex.

As much as I need to.

Why are you concerned about how often I go shopping anyways?

sandy-2021492
9  sandy-2021492    4 weeks ago

This is stupid, but not surprising.  It appeals to the mentality of those who think "rollin' coal" is cool because it pisses off people who think it's better to breathe oxygen than smoke.  And yes, those people exist.

katrix
9.1  katrix  replied to  sandy-2021492 @9    4 weeks ago

People who live for spite must be miserable human beings.

I would pity them, but what they're doing to our country is despicable.

Heartland American
9.2  Heartland American  replied to  sandy-2021492 @9    3 weeks ago

Actually the straws are nothing.  What we really intend to do to tick off the tree hugging secular progressive crowd is to re elect Trump as our President and enjoy the wine 🍷 fest served with cheese 🧀 for four more years!  

sandy-2021492
9.2.1  sandy-2021492  replied to  Heartland American @9.2    3 weeks ago

I believe there's a parable about stewardship you should probably read.

Tacos!
11  Tacos!    4 weeks ago
The right's bizarre plastic-straw fetish is about making a lack of empathy central to conservative identity Why is the Donald Trump  campaign so obsessed with drinking straws?

Is it Opposite Day again already? The LEFT is the one with the bizarre straw fetish. For decades, no one has thought twice about straws on the Left or the Right. Now, quite suddenly, based on the sketchy research skills of a 9 year-old boy, the Left has actually created legislation OUTLAWING straws to save turtles that are in no danger.

Because some reasonable people want to point out how stupid this is, the Left accuses them of having a "fetish" and that they are "obsessed." If you have been wondering what "gaslighting" looks like, this is a great example.

JohnRussell
11.1  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  Tacos! @11    4 weeks ago

A lot of the comments on this seed are just demonstrating the validity of the premise of the article. Thanks !

Tacos!
11.1.1  Tacos!  replied to  JohnRussell @11.1    4 weeks ago

And your comment proves the validity of my comment. So there! Yes!

Heartland American
11.1.2  Heartland American  replied to  JohnRussell @11.1    4 weeks ago

What article?  

Heartland American
11.1.3  Heartland American  replied to  JohnRussell @11.1    3 weeks ago

Four more years!  Normalization baby!  

Bob Nelson
11.1.4  Bob Nelson  replied to  Heartland American @11.1.3    3 weeks ago

America's Night of Broken Glass...

It Is ME
12  It Is ME    4 weeks ago

Phaedrus
12.1  Phaedrus  replied to  It Is ME @12    4 weeks ago

Did you not read the seeded article or did you not comprehend it? Clearly one is the case. jrSmiley_78_smiley_image.gif

It Is ME
12.1.1  It Is ME  replied to  Phaedrus @12.1    4 weeks ago
Clearly one is the case.

How clear is it "Really" in your mind ?

I read it and comprehended it just fine.....in my mind !

Soooo ……. which "Mind" is better ….. in your mind that is !

Heartland American
12.2  Heartland American  replied to  It Is ME @12    4 weeks ago

Or howling at the moon at night.  

It Is ME
12.2.1  It Is ME  replied to  Heartland American @12.2    3 weeks ago
Or howling at the moon at night.

Nothing like someone wanting to be seen on National TV looking like an idiot. jrSmiley_88_smiley_image.gif

Heartland American
12.2.2  Heartland American  replied to  It Is ME @12.2.1    3 weeks ago

They are just showing the world what we already knew to be true about them.  

Bob Nelson
13  Bob Nelson    4 weeks ago

Denying AGW is wingnut dogma, but they've now gone beyond simple indifference to the planet burning.

The wingnuts are now actively promoting the destruction the planet.

A few months ago, it was artificially creating thick black smoke when overtaking a Prius, then parking pickups on charging spaces.

Let's think on this: they show pride and joy in destroying the planet.

That is... sick...

Karri
14  Karri    4 weeks ago

Ah, don't people know that using straws (plastic, paper or gold/whatever) leads to wrinkles around the mouth?  (Hey, I may be old and fat, but I am still quite vain.)

Dismayed Patriot
14.1  Dismayed Patriot  replied to  Karri @14    4 weeks ago
[delete]

Dismayed Patriot
14.1.1  Dismayed Patriot  replied to  Dismayed Patriot @14.1    4 weeks ago

It was a play on words, [deleted]

Heartland American
14.1.2  Heartland American  replied to  Dismayed Patriot @14.1.1    3 weeks ago

[deleted]

pat wilson
14.1.3  pat wilson  replied to  Heartland American @14.1.2    3 weeks ago

Meta

MrFrost
14.1.4  MrFrost  replied to  Heartland American @14.1.2    3 weeks ago
That you as a liberal complain about moderation here is rich with irony.

Just curious, do you see everyone as a liberal that doesn't agree with you? Keep drinking the kool-aid and follow the lead of your masters in elevating the word "liberal" to the same level as any racial slur. 

Raven Wing
14.1.5  Raven Wing  replied to  MrFrost @14.1.4    3 weeks ago
to the same level as any racial slur.

It is meant as a slur, racial or not. The way in which 'liberal' and 'secular progressives' and 'progressives' is used by the right is totally meant as a slur. 

Heartland American
14.1.6  Heartland American  replied to  MrFrost @14.1.4    3 weeks ago

I have no master but Jesus Christ whom I serve willingly.  Whom do you serve? 

Heartland American
14.1.7  Heartland American  replied to  Raven Wing @14.1.5    3 weeks ago

You mean like bitter clingers and deplorables?  Those kind of slurs?  

Dismayed Patriot
14.1.8  Dismayed Patriot  replied to  Heartland American @14.1.6    3 weeks ago
I have no master but Jesus Christ whom I serve willingly.  Whom do you serve? 

I have no master, I am no ones slave. I make decisions for myself and take responsibility for my own actions instead of blaming Satan for my mistakes or giving some invisible fantasy credit for my successes. I am a patriotic American and serve my country by paying my taxes, volunteering in my community and supporting freedom, justice and equality for all regardless of race, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, faith or lack thereof. What would serving an unproven invisible wizard actually accomplish?

MUVA
14.1.9  MUVA  replied to  Dismayed Patriot @14.1.8    3 weeks ago

I can agree with that.

Don Overton
14.1.10  Don Overton  replied to  Heartland American @14.1.6    3 weeks ago

If you follow Trump you are not following Christ, so sayeth the New Testment

Don Overton
14.1.11  Don Overton  replied to  Heartland American @14.1.7    3 weeks ago

Hey you called yourselves deplorables

Heartland American
14.1.12  Heartland American  replied to  Don Overton @14.1.11    3 weeks ago

Actually the left did.  They called us that and we took it on with pride and wear it as a badge of honor.  I’m proud to be viewed by you and the left as a deplorable and as a bitter clinger to our blue collar jobs, our guns, and our God.  And we love it that progressives are targeting us Trump supporters as much as they go after him.  It just redoubles our efforts to get him re elected.  

Trout Giggles
14.1.13  Trout Giggles  replied to  Heartland American @14.1.12    3 weeks ago

I thought you were an accountant? That's not a blue collar job

It Is ME
14.1.14  It Is ME  replied to  Trout Giggles @14.1.13    3 weeks ago
I thought you were an accountant? That's not a blue collar job

If one is "Self Employed" …… it is !

Freefaller
14.1.15  Freefaller  replied to  It Is ME @14.1.14    3 weeks ago
If one is "Self Employed" …… it is !

No it isn't, research indicates the difference between blue collar and white collar work is completely dependant on whether the job involves manual labour. Whether you're employed or self employed is seemingly irrelevant.  

It Is ME
14.1.16  It Is ME  replied to  Freefaller @14.1.15    3 weeks ago
No it isn't, research indicates the difference between blue collar and white collar work is completely dependant on whether the job involves manual labour.

And the word "Usually" is used in those researches. And the words "Salary and hourly wage" is also used to describe the differences. You forgot those parts. Unless you're on retainer for life or work for a company, "Self Employed" Accountants aren't "Salary" !

Freefaller
14.1.17  Freefaller  replied to  It Is ME @14.1.16    3 weeks ago

Meh, it sounds like you're trying to redefine the term, move the goalposts and/or deflect so since I have no overwhelming interest in this discussion I'll leave you to play your games. Cya

It Is ME
14.1.18  It Is ME  replied to  Freefaller @14.1.17    3 weeks ago
Meh, it sounds like you're trying to redefine the term, move the goalposts and/or deflect so since

Sure !

so since I have no overwhelming interest in this discussion

Then the question begging to be answered about you commenting ….. Why ?

Karri
14.2  Karri  replied to  Karri @14    3 weeks ago

This was my (horrible) attempt at a joke.  I am sorry that people took it so seriously.  (Still, straws do increase the chance of wrinkles -- and I am fat, old and vain.)

Heartland American
14.2.1  Heartland American  replied to  Karri @14.2    3 weeks ago

I usually drink directly from the glass the beverage is served in though now here in California I make a point of asking for a straw at a restaurant.  I’m glad I hoarded old light bulbs and old plastic bags for groceries that I keep under the hatch cover of my SUV.  So I still have incandescent light bulbs and use plastic bags.  I got some of the latter when I went to Reno.  I’m not paying 10c a bag for my purchases.  

TᵢG
14.2.2  TᵢG  replied to  Heartland American @14.2.1    3 weeks ago
So I still have incandescent light bulbs ...

Why not use LED bulbs?

Dismayed Patriot
14.2.3  Dismayed Patriot  replied to  TᵢG @14.2.2    3 weeks ago
Why not use LED bulbs?

Because he wants to pay half the price thirty times more often... I'm sure the math on that will sink into their heads eventually, though some may never get a clue. Some would rather reject progress simply because its progress.

TᵢG
14.2.4  TᵢG  replied to  Dismayed Patriot @14.2.3    3 weeks ago

Plus 5+ times the cost in electricity.

Karri
14.2.5  Karri  replied to  Heartland American @14.2.1    3 weeks ago
I’m not paying 10c a bag for my purchases.  

AAFES gives a rebate if you use reusable bags.  I try to only use reusable bags these days; so much easier to carry from the car to the house.

I like the LED lightbulbs, too -- I don't have to change them as often.

Raven Wing
14.2.6  Raven Wing  replied to  TᵢG @14.2.2    3 weeks ago

Our Senior complex here where I live has partnered with So. Calif. Electric and So. Calif. Gas energy saving programs through one of the Inland Empire Foundations to help save on our utilities at no cost to residents.

They have provided and installed LED bulbs, hand-held shower heads, weather striping on the outside door and windows, double pane windows and energy saving power strips. 

There are over 400 units in our complex, so this is no small venture. And our complex is only one of many that are taking part in the energy saving programs here in So Calif. And the savings reflected in our utility bills are proof that these programs work. 

MrFrost
14.2.7  MrFrost  replied to  TᵢG @14.2.2    3 weeks ago
Why not use LED bulbs?

Because they don't damage the environment enough. Which I swear is the mantra for many on the right. 

TᵢG
14.2.8  TᵢG  replied to  MrFrost @14.2.7    3 weeks ago

It is, I think, an in-your-face tactic.    Those who support recycling, for example, are seen as 'them' and thus to spite 'them' some do the opposite.   It is irrational and juvenile.

Heartland American
14.2.9  Heartland American  replied to  TᵢG @14.2.8    3 weeks ago

That’s odd. I’m a strong conservative and I strongly favor recycling.  I always sort out recyclable paper, straws, metal cans, and milk cartons, cardboard in the blue recycle container in my yard and yard waste in the one for that and the rest in the regular garbage. I also take scrap metal to a recycling center as well as all water, partial juice, flavored water, soda, and all other cartons, bottles, glass, aluminum cans with a Ca cash value there as well. I have always believed in reusing stuff that can be and view recycling as my contribution to the environment.

TᵢG
14.2.10  TᵢG  replied to  Heartland American @14.2.9    3 weeks ago

Glad to hear that.   Kudos for being responsible.

Heartland American
14.2.11  Heartland American  replied to  TᵢG @14.2.2    3 weeks ago

I have a couple of those.  I also have the new incandescents that are in code with the new law that outlawed the old ones that are more efficient. I flat out refused to use those mercury laden curly ones the government mandated and now LED makes those a joke. I was simply bridging the gap between the ban and LED being cheaper than the government mandated crap.  

Heartland American
14.2.12  Heartland American  replied to  Raven Wing @14.2.6    3 weeks ago

When I remodeled my home a decade ago I got an energy efficient heating air conditioning unit to replace cracked two sided gas wall heater and swamp cooler, replaced the roof with 40 year energy efficient roofing and vented the attic and garage, replaced front and garage doors, and got decorative dual paned storm windows all the way around including rear slider door.  I also have a huge fruitless mulberry tree in the front yard which shields the front of the house and garage from the afternoon sun.  I cut my gas and electricity bill by 40% by doing that.  

Heartland American
14.2.13  Heartland American  replied to  Dismayed Patriot @14.2.3    3 weeks ago

Actually they were 4 bulbs for a dollar in a box and the wattage was 10% lower from 100 w to 40 w as they were being phased out.  

Bob Nelson
14.2.14  Bob Nelson  replied to  TᵢG @14.2.8    3 weeks ago
... an in-your-face tactic.

Meme created by someone with the same attitude:

Destroying the planet... and proud of it...

Bob Nelson
14.2.15  Bob Nelson  replied to  TᵢG @14.2.8    3 weeks ago
It is irrational and juvenile.

We can hope that the worst/stupidest behavior will get the punishment it deserves:

ICEholes beware: Colorado is considering parking fines for blocking electric-vehicle charging stations

“I would never park my car at a gas station and walk away. That’s essentially what they’re doing,” said Margaret-Ann Leavitt, with National Car Charging in Denver.

original

Tessylo
14.2.16  Tessylo  replied to  Bob Nelson @14.2.15    3 weeks ago

They should be towed and ticketed and receive hefty fines.

Bob Nelson
14.2.17  Bob Nelson  replied to  Tessylo @14.2.16    3 weeks ago

They should be committed to an asylum for the insane.

sandy-2021492
14.2.18  sandy-2021492  replied to  TᵢG @14.2.2    3 weeks ago
Why not use LED bulbs?

Apparently, the Jesus he claims is his master embraces wastefulness and goading in his followers.

sandy-2021492
14.2.19  sandy-2021492  replied to  Bob Nelson @14.2.14    3 weeks ago

Yup.  "Rollin' coal."  Something to be so proud of.