Category:  News & Politics

Via:  tessylo  •  5 years ago  •  55 comments

Colbert Nails What Everyone Seems To Have Missed In The Testimony Against Trump

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

Politics

Colbert Nails What Everyone Seems To Have Missed In The Testimony Against Trump

710c91c0-4b9c-11e7-8912-374be9390b1b_H-1   Ed Mazza, HuffPost   6 hours ago  

5dafc9de2100006b21ad39f0.jpg

Several experts called Tuesday’s explosive new evidence against President  Donald Trump  “damning” as the House considers impeachment. 

But “Late Show” host Stephen Colbert isn’t so sure.

William Taylor, the former top U.S. diplomat in Ukraine, reportedly told lawmakers that  Trump held up military aid  to force the country to investigate former Vice President  Joe Biden  and a right-wing conspiracy theory about the 2016 election. 

Former U.S. Attorney David Kelley  said on MSNBC  that the evidence against Trump is now so “damning” that if this were a criminal case, it probably wouldn’t even go to trial.  

“When confronted with all the evidence, a reasonable defendant would likely take a plea.” he said.

Rep. Stephen Lynch (D-Mass.) called the testimony a “ sea change ,” according to The Hill. 

Rep. Gerry Connolly (D-Va.) called it “ damning ” on CNN. 

But Colbert offered a different take. 

“Do you understand what this means?” he asked. “We finally have solid evidence of the crime that Trump and his chief of staff have already confessed to committing on camera.” 

See more of his monologue below: 

Love HuffPost? Become a founding member of HuffPost Plus today.

This article originally appeared on  HuffPost .

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Tessylo
Professor Principal
1  seeder  Tessylo    5 years ago

“Do you understand what this means?” he asked. “We finally have solid evidence of the crime that Trump and his chief of staff have already confessed to committing on camera.” 

Tessylo
Professor Principal
2  seeder  Tessylo    5 years ago

Ukraine ambassador says in 'damning' testimony that he was told Trump wanted quid pro quo deal

65352920-ded2-11e6-8b0a-2fe0a36835e8_200x200_INDY.JPG.cf.jpg   Clark Mindock, The Independent   21 hours ago  

69e818395dc3eddf54c623843d1c2bc6

The US ambassador to   Ukraine   has told impeachment investigators that military aid to the former Soviet state was made dependent upon a declaration of an investigation into the Bidens, and that the order came from   Donald Trump , contradicting the president‘s claim that no “quid pro quo” deal was arranged.

Ambassador Bill Taylor said during closed-door hearings on Tuesday that he stood by calling it “crazy” to make the military assistance contingent on an investigation into Mr Trump’s political rival Joe Biden and his son Hunter.

Mr Taylor said that after his appointment as ambassador this year he had become alarmed by the existence of a secondary, “irregular” diplomatic channel, and that other US officials had said they were working to convince Ukrainian president   Volodymyr Zelensky   to investigate the Bidens. Rudy Giuliani, the president’s personal lawyer, was guiding the plan, he claimed.

During a conversation with EU ambassador   Gordon Sondland , Mr Taylor said, according to prepared remarks, he was told the president had said aid was dependent on a public announcement that Ukraine was opening an investment into   Hunter Biden ‘s business dealings with Ukrainian oil company   Burisma .

“During that phone call, Ambassador Sondland told me that President Trump had told him that he wants President Zelensky to state publicly that Ukraine will investigate Burisma and alleged Ukrainian interference in the 2016 election,” Mr Taylor said in his prepared remarks.

“Ambassador Sondland also told me that he now recognised that he had made a mistake by earlier telling the Ukranian officials to whom he spoke that a White House meeting with President Zelensky was dependent on a public announcement of investigations.

“In fact, Ambassador Sondland said, ‘everything’ was dependent on such an announcement, including security assistance. He said that President Trump wanted President Zelensky ‘in a public box’ by making a public statement about ordering such investigations.”

Mr Taylor the latest official to defy State Department orders not to comply with House Democrats’ impeachment inquiry subpoenas.

“It was just the most damning testimony I’ve heard,” representative Debbie Wasserman Schultz told   The Washington Post .

The testimony appeared to confirm claims that Mr Trump had used US money as leverage in order to force the investigation into Hunter Biden, who is the son of former vice president   Joe Biden , a key figure who pushed for the removal of a Ukrainian prosecutor. Mr Trump has claimed, contrary to evidence, that Mr Biden had acted on behalf of his son’s interest to get the prosecutor fired, even though the effort was indicative of the Obama administration’s foreign policy and had international consensus.

Mr Trump has denied any clear quid pro quo had occurred during a 25 July phone call with Mr Zelensky, even though a rough transcript released by the White House appears to show Mr Trump pushing for the investigation as a favour to him.

“He drew a very specific direct line from President Trump to the withholding of foreign aid and the refusal of a meeting,” Ms Wasserman Schultz said of Mr Taylor’s evidence. It “directly related to both insisting on Zelensky publicly say that he’ll have an investigation, that they will investigate”.

Mr Trump has cast the impeachment investigation as an witch hunt, mirroring language he used to describe the special counsel investigation into Russian meddling, which included potential wrongdoing by the president as well. On the same day as Mr Taylor’s testimony, Mr Trump has received criticism for   comparing the impeachment inquiry to a “lynching” .

Democrats have indicated they want to move quickly on impeachment, and have said they could introduce formal charges before the end of the year. That would allow Democrats to put as much distance as possible between the highly polarising measure and the 2020 election campaign.

It Is ME
Masters Guide
4  It Is ME    5 years ago

Comedians are Funny ! jrSmiley_10_smiley_image.gif

Krishna
Professor Expert
4.1  Krishna  replied to  It Is ME @4    5 years ago
Comedians are Funny !

Its colder in the Winter!

It Is ME
Masters Guide
4.1.1  It Is ME  replied to  Krishna @4.1    5 years ago
Its colder in the Winter!

I've heard it's actually "Warmer". jrSmiley_36_smiley_image.gif

cjcold
Professor Quiet
4.1.2  cjcold  replied to  It Is ME @4.1.1    5 years ago

Thanks to anthropogenic global warming, winter is actually warmer than it used to be. Used to ice skate around here as a kid but ponds haven't frozen solid enough for that in years.  

user image
Freshman Silent
4.2    replied to  It Is ME @4    5 years ago

Well..... some are anyways🙄

Tessylo
Professor Principal
4.2.1  seeder  Tessylo  replied to  @4.2    5 years ago

Well it takes some wit and smarts to appreciate Mr. Colbert's humor.  

It Is ME
Masters Guide
4.2.2  It Is ME  replied to  Tessylo @4.2.1    5 years ago
Well it takes some wit and smarts to appreciate Mr. Colbert's humor.  

So Colbert really isn't "News" ?

user image
Freshman Silent
4.2.3    replied to  Tessylo @4.2.1    5 years ago

[deleted]

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
4.2.4  Trout Giggles  replied to  @4.2.3    5 years ago

Just what is "traditional America" exactly?

lady in black
Professor Quiet
4.2.5  lady in black  replied to  Trout Giggles @4.2.4    5 years ago

Where EVERYONE but white men know their place, have no rights and need to just shut up about it....

Tessylo
Professor Principal
4.2.6  seeder  Tessylo  replied to  It Is ME @4.2.2    5 years ago
'So Colbert really isn't "News" ?'

Who ever said he was?

Other than what he says is truth, that's news in tRump world.  

It Is ME
Masters Guide
4.2.7  It Is ME  replied to  Tessylo @4.2.6    5 years ago
Other than what he says is truth

From In depth "Investigations" ?

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
4.2.8  Trout Giggles  replied to  lady in black @4.2.5    5 years ago

I like your definition but I want to hear jungknoservative's definition

Do you think he has one?

lady in black
Professor Quiet
4.2.9  lady in black  replied to  Trout Giggles @4.2.8    5 years ago

Don't know, I bet it's very close to what I posted.

user image
Freshman Silent
4.2.10    replied to  Trout Giggles @4.2.8    5 years ago

It will probably get deleted anyways. Why waste the effort. Stating facts tends to trigger some people I guess.

lady in black
Professor Quiet
4.2.11  lady in black  replied to  @4.2.10    5 years ago

What facts make up traditional America?  

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
4.2.12  Trout Giggles  replied to  @4.2.10    5 years ago

I didn't flag your comment. I want to hear your facts. Please

Tessylo
Professor Principal
4.2.13  seeder  Tessylo  replied to  @4.2.10    5 years ago

When you post any facts, I'll let you know  I'd love to hear your definition though.  I promise not to flag it or report it.  Doubt you'll provide anything though.  

user image
Freshman Silent
4.2.14    replied to  Trout Giggles @4.2.12    5 years ago

It depends on what aspect you want to cover.

Religion : Traditional America has always been a Judaeo christian God fearing country

Marriage : Man and a woman with structured families who raise their children

Immigration: From many one, traditional Americans have always been expected to assimilate to American culture. That means they learn English, salute the flag, pledge allegiance, all of it.

Genders : 2

Which part of traditional America should I define?

Tessylo
Professor Principal
4.2.15  seeder  Tessylo  replied to  Trout Giggles @4.2.12    5 years ago

I'd say a traditional family is any family - all different kinds of families make up a family nowadays and in the past - there is no such thing as a traditional family anymore, as least according to jungkon's opinions in my opinion

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
4.2.16  Trout Giggles  replied to  @4.2.14    5 years ago
Religion : Traditional America has always been a Judaeo christian God fearing country

Let's start with this one. I'm neither Jewish or Christian. Does that mean I'm not an American?

Marriage : Man and a woman with structured families who raise their children

I raised my children alongside my husband while holding down a job and wearing pants. Does that make me unAmerican?

Immigration: From many one, traditional Americans have always been expected to assimilate to American culture. That means they learn English, salute the flag, pledge allegiance, all of it.

Did the Native Americans who were here before the Europeans speak English? Did you know there are still pockets of French speakers in Louisiana? Many Amish don't really speak English, either.

Genders : 2

What about people that are actually born hermaphroditic? Are they man or woman? Or are they a third gender?

Krishna
Professor Expert
5  Krishna    5 years ago

Colbert Nails What Everyone Seems To Have Missed

He always does! jrSmiley_4_smiley_image.png

Ronin2
Professor Quiet
5.1  Ronin2  replied to  Krishna @5    5 years ago

Only to the looney tune left; who seem to take their truths from politically biased Democrats in the House; and leftist comedians.

bbl-1
Professor Quiet
5.1.1  bbl-1  replied to  Ronin2 @5.1    5 years ago

Ah yes, 'the looney left' the ultimate explainer.  Ah hell, got a plate of windmill dead birds for dinner.  Want to help pluck the feathers?

Tessylo
Professor Principal
5.1.2  seeder  Tessylo  replied to  bbl-1 @5.1.1    5 years ago

Other than all those dead windmill birds, don't they also cause cancer?

bbl-1
Professor Quiet
5.1.3  bbl-1  replied to  Tessylo @5.1.2    5 years ago

Not if you wash them in fracking brine.  Esp. if the brine is from a MAGA enterprise.

FLYNAVY1
Professor Guide
5.1.4  FLYNAVY1  replied to  Ronin2 @5.1    5 years ago

And the Putin loving Trump supporters take their truths from talking points developed at the Kremlin...… 

See I can do it too.

bbl-1
Professor Quiet
6  bbl-1    5 years ago

C'mon people.  The Trump said Putin said he, The Trump, was a smart guy.  Let it go.  Trump has Ivanka and we don't.