╌>

Scientists discover the reason why anxious people smoke marijuana

Category:  Health, Science & Technology

Via:  larry-hampton  •  4 years ago  •  52 comments

Scientists discover the reason why anxious people smoke marijuana
When we’re stressed or anxious, we tend to turn to things that make us feel better — and for some, that means cannabis. In fact, this is one of the primary reasons for smoking weed or taking CBD, according to a 2009 study on young adults.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

But despite its popularity as a salve for anxious brains, scientists don’t know how the chemicals in marijuana work to calm anxiety — but the discovery of a molecule that affects an anxiety-producing super-highway in the brain could hold the key.

In a   study   published this week in the journal   Neuron , scientists describe a powerful molecule called 2-AG, which appears to disrupt the production and transfer of neurochemicals linked to anxiety across this neural highway — effectively halting an anxiety attack in its tracks. Cannabis works in much the same way, the researchers find. The new study, conducted in mice, shows 2-AG and cannabis act on the same receptors in the brain, the endocannabinoid system, which modulates anxiety.

The super-highway connects two parts of the brain: the amygdala, the brain’s emotional processor, and the prefrontal cortex, the brain’s decision-maker. When exposed to stress, the two areas glue together, producing excitatory neurochemicals and making anxiety skyrocket.

“The circuit between the amygdala and the frontal cortex has been shown to be stronger in individuals with certain types of anxiety disorders,”   Sachin Patel , study co-author and researcher at Vanderbilt University Medical Center, says. “As people or animals are exposed to stress and get more anxious, these two brain areas glue together, and their activity grows stronger together.”

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Larry Hampton
Professor Participates
1  seeder  Larry Hampton    4 years ago

A small amount of pot administered as an edible allows me to be present and functional for my daughter. It makes me the best version of myself and I have no shame at all in admitting that it makes me a better parent.

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
1.1  Greg Jones  replied to  Larry Hampton @1    4 years ago

Many of us can do that without using mind altering drugs as a crutch. .

Larry Hampton
Professor Participates
1.1.1  seeder  Larry Hampton  replied to  Greg Jones @1.1    4 years ago

Well let's have round of applause for Greg....

jrSmiley_81_smiley_image.gif

...gooooooood job....

Almost 40% of Americans are more anxious than they were at this time last year, according to a new  American Psychiatric Association (APA) poll .

The APA surveyed 1,000 U.S. adults about their sources and levels of anxiety, and found that 39% reported being more anxious than they were at this time last year. Another 39% said they were equally anxious, while only 19% said they were less anxious than last year.

Approximately 40 million American adults — roughly 18% of the population — have  an anxiety disorder according to the Anxiety and Depression Association of America .

Safety, health and finances seemed to be the greatest sources of anxiety, according to the APA poll. Sixty-eight percent of respondents said “keeping myself or my family safe” and “my health” made them either somewhat or extremely anxious. Sixty-seven percent said the same of “paying my bills or expenses.” Politics and interpersonal relationships followed at 56% and 48%, respectively.

~LINK~

Not everyone is as noble and fortunate as you I guess Greg.

MrFrost
Professor Expert
1.1.2  MrFrost  replied to  Greg Jones @1.1    4 years ago

So we should outlaw alcohol too? 

squiggy
Junior Silent
1.1.3  squiggy  replied to  MrFrost @1.1.2    4 years ago

"So we should outlaw alcohol too?"

We should - it's killer shit - but the relativists will give up and say so 'much 'shine is made, what's the point?'. 

Larry Hampton
Professor Participates
1.1.4  seeder  Larry Hampton  replied to  squiggy @1.1.3    4 years ago

I detect some projection here. There are lottsa people who use marijuana or alcohol without abusing them. Have you ever tried using and not abusing?

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
1.1.5  Greg Jones  replied to  Larry Hampton @1.1.1    4 years ago

Since I sobered up and went clean of drugs 20 some years ago, I find that that good clean living, eating right, getting enough sleep, positive mind control, and an occasional good healthy fuck....keep me calmed down and happy. I am indeed lucky, and count my blessings every day, for the things that didn't happen to me, and for ailments I don't have. Unlike some on these forums,  I accept things I cannot change.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
1.1.6  Tessylo  replied to  Greg Jones @1.1.5    4 years ago

Way too much information there.  

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
1.1.7  Greg Jones  replied to  MrFrost @1.1.2    4 years ago

Didn't they nation already deal with that decades ago?

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
1.1.8  Greg Jones  replied to  Tessylo @1.1.6    4 years ago

Full disclosure, like it or not.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
1.1.9  Tessylo  replied to  Greg Jones @1.1.8    4 years ago

A fuck every decade?

squiggy
Junior Silent
1.1.10  squiggy  replied to  Larry Hampton @1.1.4    4 years ago

If it has an effect then the mind has been altered by a drug. There's no such thing as 'Lose Your Mind Responsibly'. Somebody else has to stand watch while you check out.

Larry Hampton
Professor Participates
1.1.11  seeder  Larry Hampton  replied to  Greg Jones @1.1.5    4 years ago

...good clean living, eating right, getting enough sleep, positive mind control, and an occasional good healthy fuck...

What about those who also do that but are still stressed out and anxious? Are you saying that they are lesser because marijuana helps them in that area? What is your point? That Marijuana isn't a viable treatment? That it offends your sensibilities? Are you afraid "Refer Madness" is going to roll over the land like a zombie apocalypse?

Sparty On
Professor Principal
1.1.12  Sparty On  replied to  Greg Jones @1.1.5    4 years ago
Since I sobered up and went clean of drugs 20 some years ago

Good for you.   Congrats are in order.

Congrats and good job.   Stay with it!

Larry Hampton
Professor Participates
1.1.13  seeder  Larry Hampton  replied to  squiggy @1.1.10    4 years ago

LOL do you think people "check out" when they use marijuana?

jrSmiley_10_smiley_image.gif

Your a riot squiggy!

Dismayed Patriot
Professor Quiet
1.1.14  Dismayed Patriot  replied to  Greg Jones @1.1    4 years ago

And some choose to suffer through migraines without using any drugs as a "crutch".

And some choose to never come home and crack open the "crutch" of a beer to relax after work. But many others do. Should we go slap that drink out of their hand? Smack that cigarette out of their mouths? Kick that 64 ounce big gulp of sugar and caffeine out of their car cup holder?

While I don't believe in the divinity of the bible, I do think it contains some ancient wisdoms that still apply today. This is one of them:

“All things are lawful for me,” but not all things are helpful. “All things are lawful for me,” but I will not be enslaved by anything." - 1 Corinthians 6:12

Another one that applies here:

"Judge not, that you be not judged. For with the judgment you pronounce you will be judged, and with the measure you use it will be measured to you." Matthew 7:1-2

Virtually everyone uses some drug/s to benefit their lives. Some use them better than others, some have let those drugs enslave them. That's still no reason to support bans on drugs but should motivate us to support education and rehab programs for those who fall into detrimental addiction. There are millions of success stories out there where people used drugs to their great benefit. Many people would likely claim they wouldn't be here if it weren't for the drugs they needed to keep them alive or give them a better quality of life when dealing with the pain this life sometimes deals out through no fault of our own. Perhaps we should be showcasing those stories instead of inundating ourselves with the stories of hopeless addiction.

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
1.1.15  Greg Jones  replied to  Tessylo @1.1.9    4 years ago

Oh no...much oftener that that.

I try to follow Jack LaLanne's example to leading a healthy life.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
1.1.16  Tessylo  replied to  Greg Jones @1.1.15    4 years ago

Sure you do . . . 

squiggy
Junior Silent
1.1.17  squiggy  replied to  Larry Hampton @1.1.13    4 years ago

I think they're fully capable of running a stop sign and inflicting a quarter-million dollars' damage and pain.

Larry Hampton
Professor Participates
1.1.18  seeder  Larry Hampton  replied to  squiggy @1.1.17    4 years ago

True, though that is also true of alcohol, sleeping, texting, various distractions...

As a matter of fact I'm gonna do a little digging and see if there aren't some numbers out there to compare the auto accidents and accompanying injury/damage, to compare alcohol, sleeping and texting while driving to using marijuana while driving. I'm fairly certain I know where those numbers will come out...

Besides, I'm not advocating driving while using any substance.

KDMichigan
Junior Participates
1.1.19  KDMichigan  replied to  Larry Hampton @1.1.1    4 years ago
...gooooooood job....

Ridiculing Greg because he is clean and sober? How noble of you. 

Studies have also shown that smoking weed causes Anxiety and I can tell you from experience it sometimes can. I have seen daily weed smokers freak out on my cannabis cookies and will never touch them again. Marijuana effects everyone different and is not some tooth sayer cure all.

Several studies have shown that cannabis inhalation can cause immediate anxiety that only lasts for a short period of time in people who are not habitual users. They smoke the marijuana, feel anxious for awhile, and then the anxiety disappears as the effects of the marijuana wear off. About 20-30% of smokers experience acute anxiety when they smoke marijuana. This occurs most frequently when the drug is used at high doses, and among people who have not smoked marijuana before and among people who smoke marijuana in a stressful environment.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
1.1.20  Trout Giggles  replied to  Larry Hampton @1.1.13    4 years ago

My Father in law smokes a little weed or eats a small edible for his pain before he goes to sleep at night. My FIL is also an upstanding member of society.

I see nothing wrong with a little toke now and then.

Larry Hampton
Professor Participates
1.1.21  seeder  Larry Hampton  replied to  KDMichigan @1.1.19    4 years ago

Nobody is ridiculing Greg for being clean; I came back on him for ridiculing others for using marijuana, saying they are depending on a crutch. 

KDMichigan
Junior Participates
1.1.22  KDMichigan  replied to  Larry Hampton @1.1.21    4 years ago
Well let's have round of applause for Greg....

...gooooooood job....

Not everyone is as noble and fortunate as you I guess Greg.

Gee if that isn't ridicule then I guess I don't know what ridicule is. Cheers

Larry Hampton
Professor Participates
1.1.23  seeder  Larry Hampton  replied to  KDMichigan @1.1.22    4 years ago

If that isn’t illiteracy, I don know what is. 

Tacos!
Professor Guide
1.1.24  Tacos!  replied to  Greg Jones @1.1    4 years ago
Many of us can do that without using mind altering drugs as a crutch.

You have your own crutches, I'm sure. You probably just don't realize it. Don't get the idea that you're better than others because you aren't doing what they do. Their life is not yours and you're not qualified to judge.

squiggy
Junior Silent
1.2  squiggy  replied to  Larry Hampton @1    4 years ago
admitting that it makes me a better parent.

Something that allays anxiety is simply allowing you to think you're a better parent but eventually the stoner parent cooks his kid in a hot car.

Larry Hampton
Professor Participates
1.2.1  seeder  Larry Hampton  replied to  squiggy @1.2    4 years ago

You got proof of that absurd statement or are you just speaking outta your ass? I know many WONDERFUL parents who use marijuana and have never done anything like that. Give us a link to back that shit up, or shut up. 

Also, it casts false dispersions on those affected by such a horrendous horror.

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
1.2.2  Greg Jones  replied to  Larry Hampton @1.2.1    4 years ago

Quit trying to make out marijuana as being some benign and safe relaxant.

And don't forget...it's a gateway drug.

Larry Hampton
Professor Participates
1.2.4  seeder  Larry Hampton  replied to  Greg Jones @1.2.2    4 years ago

You can blame that on the scientific and medical communities for their hard work and research in this area. 

As to your other opinion...

Marijuana is the most popular and easily accessible illegal drug in the U.S. today. So people who have used less accessible drugs (heroin, cocaine, LSD) are likely to have first accessed marijuana and other more accessible drugs, including alcohol. But the use of one does not cause the use of another.

Most people who try marijuana never go on to use any other illegal drug , and the vast majority of those who do try another drug don’t become dependent on it, or go on to have associated problems.

For most people, marijuana is an endpoint in drug use rather than a so-called “gateway drug.” New evidence suggests that marijuana can even serve as an “exit drug,” helping people to reduce or eliminate their use of more harmful drugs such as opiates or alcohol by easing withdrawal symptoms

~LINK~

---also---

There have been recent studies that suggest that marijuana actually helps people when they are undergoing meth and heroin addiction, physically, mentally and emotionally.

squiggy
Junior Silent
1.2.5  squiggy  replied to  Larry Hampton @1.2.1    4 years ago

If you look, you'll find these horrendous stories are truly dispersed.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
1.2.6  Tessylo  replied to  Greg Jones @1.2.2    4 years ago

It's not a gateway drug.

Larry Hampton
Professor Participates
1.2.7  seeder  Larry Hampton  replied to  squiggy @1.2.5    4 years ago

..and the same for people who abuse alcohol...

Your comment made it seem as if that's what marijuana does to all people. That is false in the same way that alcohol doesn't make all people abuse their children.

Larry Hampton
Professor Participates
1.2.9  seeder  Larry Hampton  replied to    4 years ago

I didn't realize your wife was on chemo rtb, our family will be remembering her and your family in our thoughts and prayers. Tough going chemo is.

pat wilson
Professor Participates
1.2.11  pat wilson  replied to    4 years ago

Sending her positive thoughts and prayers too.

Split Personality
Professor Guide
1.2.13  Split Personality  replied to  Greg Jones @1.2.2    4 years ago

Like alcohol, nicotine, caffeine, sugar et al ?

Sparty On
Professor Principal
2  Sparty On    4 years ago

Thank you Captain Obvious for pointing that out.   I mean really, who knew?

jrSmiley_86_smiley_image.gif

Larry Hampton
Professor Participates
2.1  seeder  Larry Hampton  replied to  Sparty On @2    4 years ago

user image
Freshman Silent
3      4 years ago

Depends. I have a tolerance so when I smoke it does curb my anxiety. I have been smoking daily for over 10 years though. I get fidgety and irritable and I find it helps with that. If you are someone who rarely smokes, and you smoke too much, it can give you a big time panic attack. I know people who never touched it again after having one. Have to be responsible like anything and keep things in context.

KDMichigan
Junior Participates
3.1  KDMichigan  replied to  @3    4 years ago
it can give you a big time panic attack.

Christ some of the weed going around anymore is crazy THC content. From the stuff I smoked 35 years ago to what is available now is what? like over double? sometimes triple. My buddies son is growing a strain that has been tested at 37% THC.

user image
Freshman Silent
3.1.1    replied to  KDMichigan @3.1    4 years ago

The stuff I grow aint too bad neither ;) But yea the bar has been raised in Michigan. People are snobs now. Used to be you took what you could get and dealt with the stems and seeds. Now people won't touch it unless its sativa, or indica, or whatever they think they need. Whatever. As long as they keep buying :)

It's money time in the weed industry in Michigan, get while the getting is good!

KDMichigan
Junior Participates
3.1.2  KDMichigan  replied to  @3.1.1    4 years ago

Hell I wish I knew where I could get some Mexican dirt weed lol

Everybody always giving me vape pens and the chronic..

user image
Freshman Silent
3.1.4    replied to  KDMichigan @3.1.2    4 years ago

Mexico is done in the weed game. Between California, Colorado, and Michigan, they know we have the US covered. That's why they moved to fentanyl. Funny story I got pulled over in Tennessee on a work trip. The cop could smell the weed on me and searched my vehicle. He found it but it was a small amount so he didn't make a big deal out of it. Just before letting me go he mentions to me "You must of brought that weed down from Michigan, because we don't have stuff like that around here"

Sparty On
Professor Principal
3.1.5  Sparty On  replied to  @3.1.4    4 years ago

Lol yeah, they just have 100+ proof illegal moonshine in every other household.

Larry Hampton
Professor Participates
3.1.6  seeder  Larry Hampton  replied to  @3.1.4    4 years ago

Now that is funny!