Trump understands what his critics don’t: The current lockdown is unsustainable

Category:  Op/Ed

Via:  heartland-american  •  4 months ago  •  85 comments

By:   Mark Thiessen

Trump understands what his critics don’t: The current lockdown is unsustainable
Now the latest source of outrage is the president’s announcement that wants to begin lifting the current economic lockdown by Easter. In a press briefing Tuesday, Trump said his “goal is to ease the guidelines and open things up to very large sections of our country” and that “I hope we can do this by Easter,” but added that “our decision will be based on hard facts and data.” There is absolutely nothing wrong with this. Every life matters.

We need to get the country back to work.  I can’t wait to get back. It will obviously happen in stages.   By Easter it would be stupid to lock the whole country down at the same level as now.  Clearly New York City won’t be ready by Easter. No need to hold areas back that will by then will have few or no cases. I’m glad they are doing the return to work area by area county by county.  That way rural areas of New York State, Illinois, California won’t be bound down by state wide orders caused by their largest cities.  

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

President Trump enjoys  60 percent approval  for his handling of the coronavirus pandemic, but that has not stopped his critics from trying to stoke public outrage at his expense. 

After the president expressed hope that the anti-malaria drug chloroquine was showing signs of success as a treatment for the coronavirus, news organizations tried to blame him for the death of an Arizona man who self-medicated with fish tank solvent that contained a different form of the substance. “Man dies after taking drug touted as coronavirus treatment by Trump,” CBS News  declared . No, he didn’t. Trump never suggested anyone self-medicate with aquarium cleaner. 

Now the latest source of outrage is the president’s announcement that wants to begin lifting the current economic lockdown by Easter. In a  press briefing Tuesday, Trump said his “goal is to ease the guidelines and open things up to very large sections of our country” and that “I hope we can do this by Easter,” but added that “our decision will be based on hard facts and data.” 

There is absolutely nothing wrong with this. Every life matters. That is why at the start of a pandemic, the right strategy is to accept high economic risk in order to mitigate the risks to public health of a new and unknown pathogen. Trump effectively ordered a recession — asking businesses to close and workers to stay home — to slow the spread of the virus so that public health officials could learn how it behaves, develop our testing capability and increase the production of protective gear, ventilators and hospital capacity for the hardest-hit areas, as well as the development of therapeutics to treat it. 

But over time, as we get a handle on the outbreak, we need to start adjusting our decision-making to balance risk with the massive toll the lockdown is taking on the American people. While journalists can telework, millions of Americans who can’t are losing their careers and the businesses they spent a lifetime building. A prolonged economic shutdown will lead to deaths as well, in the form of increased rates of depression, substance abuse and suicide. 

The president understands that we need a sustainable strategy to defeat the virus and that the current lockdown is unsustainable. A  record 3.28 million Americans applied for unemployment benefits last week, and economists warn that gross domestic product could decline by about  30 percent  in the second quarter as a result of the lockdown. That can’t continue indefinitely. 

The emergency relief bill buys us some more time, but at enormous cost. We are borrowing $2 trillion from our children and grandchildren so the government can effectively replace the lost revenue and paychecks of millions of businesses and workers in the United States. We can’t do that forever. And replacing lost income does not replace the dignity of work. 

No one in the White House is suggesting that we sacrifice the elderly or the vulnerable. Asked by a reporter “how many deaths are you willing to accept?” to restore growth, Trump answered “none.” Rather, the goal is to get this country to the same place as South Korea, which has effectively contained the virus without quarantining tens of millions of people. South Koreans did so by following a strategy of “Trace, Test and Treat” — using mass testing to isolate the infected while allowing healthy people to go about their lives. South Korea has been able to do this because it was able to test early. We have not because we lost six crucial weeks in ramping up testing thanks to the incompetence of the Food and Drug Administration, which  refused  to allow private and academic advanced labs to develop coronavirus tests. Only in March were FDA restrictions lifted and outside labs given the green light to begin testing. 

It will take time to catch up, but once we reach that point where we can test anyone, we can start figuring out where we can ease up on the lockdowns. As Anthony S. Fauci said on Tuesday, “areas of the country that are not hot spots … still have a window of significant degree of being able to contain” the virus. It may be that in these parts of the country where there aren’t many cases, we can begin to follow the South Korean approach soon, while the hardest-hit places such as New York may need to maintain a lockdown for many months. 

Will that happen by Easter? Maybe, maybe not. As Fauci says, we need to be flexible and follow the evidence. But it has to happen eventually.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
smarty_function_ntUser_is_admin: user_id parameter required
[]

1776  Traditional American
1  seeder  1776 Traditional American    4 months ago

After the president expressed hope that the anti-malaria drug chloroquine was showing signs of success as a treatment for the coronavirus, news organizations tried to blame him for the death of an Arizona man who self-medicated with fish tank solvent that contained a different form of the substance. “Man dies after taking drug touted as coronavirus treatment by Trump,” CBS News   declared  . No, he didn’t. Trump never suggested anyone self-medicate with aquarium cleaner. 

Now the latest source of outrage is the president’s announcement that wants to begin lifting the current economic lockdown by Easter. In a   press briefing Tuesday, Trump said his “goal is to ease the guidelines and open things up to very large sections of our country” and that “I hope we can do this by Easter,” but added that “our decision will be based on hard facts and data.” 

There is absolutely nothing wrong with this. Every life matters. That is why at the start of a pandemic, the right strategy is to accept high economic risk in order to mitigate the risks to public health of a new and unknown pathogen. Trump effectively ordered a recession — asking businesses to close and workers to stay home — to slow the spread of the virus so that public health officials could learn how it behaves, develop our testing capability and increase the production of protective gear, ventilators and hospital capacity for the hardest-hit areas, as well as the development of therapeutics to treat it. 

But over time, as we get a handle on the outbreak, we need to start adjusting our decision-making to balance risk with the massive toll the lockdown is taking on the American people. While journalists can telework, millions of Americans who can’t are losing their careers and the businesses they spent a lifetime building. A prolonged economic shutdown will lead to deaths as well, in the form of increased rates of depression, substance abuse and suicide. 

The president understands that we need a sustainable strategy to defeat the virus and that the current lockdown is unsustainable.   https://thenewstalkers.com/community/discussion/49899/trump-understands-what-his-critics-dont-the-current-lockdown-is-unsustainable

lady in black
2  lady in black    4 months ago

Crooked donnie has NO clue what he is doing, much less saying.  I guess he knows more than economists...he knows NOTHING

You can be my guest and go out in public all you want 

XDm9mm
2.1  XDm9mm  replied to  lady in black @2    4 months ago
I guess he knows more than economists...he knows NOTHING

Do you enjoy making contradicting statements?

lady in black
2.1.1  lady in black  replied to  XDm9mm @2.1    4 months ago

What is contradicting about Crooked donnie thinking he knows more than anyone on the planet...he is a moron

XDm9mm
2.1.2  XDm9mm  replied to  lady in black @2.1.1    4 months ago
What is contradicting

Read your own words.

I guess he knows more than economists...he knows NOTHING

If he knows nothing, how can he know more than economists?  I'll say it again, SELF CONTRADICTION.  Congratulations.

Ozzwald
2.1.3  Ozzwald  replied to  XDm9mm @2.1.2    4 months ago
Read your own words.

Why do you drop down to playing with semantics?

Jeremy Retired in NC
2.1.4  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  lady in black @2.1.1    4 months ago
he is a moron

If he's a moron, then how has he been able to run his business?  How was he able to have a campaign that beat a person with over 40 years in government?  

XDm9mm
2.1.5  XDm9mm  replied to  Ozzwald @2.1.3    4 months ago
Why do you drop down to playing with semantics?

Only trying to keep up with the ones who like to play word games.   Sound familiar?

Ozzwald
2.1.6  Ozzwald  replied to  XDm9mm @2.1.5    4 months ago
Only trying to keep up with the ones who like to play word games.

Big difference, you know what lady was saying.  The only time I go there is when others claim I said something which I did not.  They just don't read so good...

bugsy
2.1.7  bugsy  replied to  lady in black @2.1.1    4 months ago
he is a moron

If he is such a moron, what does that say about those who supported Hillary. After all, Trump is in the Oval Office. Hillary? Well, you know the rest.

XDm9mm
2.1.8  XDm9mm  replied to  Ozzwald @2.1.6    4 months ago
They just don't read so good...

And I must surmise some 'just don't write so good'.

Tessylo
2.1.9  Tessylo  replied to  Jeremy Retired in NC @2.1.4    4 months ago

He ran all his businesses into the ground.  Went bankrupt many times.

He's a shitty businessman 

Ed-NavDoc
2.1.10  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  XDm9mm @2.1.5    4 months ago

Don't expect a clear or coherent answer. All you are likely to get is distortion and deflection mixed in with the usual anti-Trump rhetoric.

2.1.11  seeder  1776 Traditional American  replied to  bugsy @2.1.7    4 months ago

Hillary is a wicked witch and we are darn lucky that she is NOT our President now.  

2.1.12  seeder  1776 Traditional American  replied to  Ed-NavDoc @2.1.10    4 months ago

The vitriol associated with the TDS sufferers rhetoric is simply ridiculous.  Their venting falls upon deaf ears here on their hatred directed at our President.  

Krishna
2.1.13  Krishna  replied to  XDm9mm @2.1.2    4 months ago
If he knows nothing, how can he know more than economists? 

Well, he did say he knows more about ISIS than the Generals...

Krishna
2.1.14  Krishna  replied to  XDm9mm @2.1.2    4 months ago

If he knows nothing, how can he know more than economists?  

XDm9mm, check out this video. 

It more than answers your question. (Plus you might get a few good laughs...)

Vic Eldred
2.1.15  Vic Eldred  replied to  Krishna @2.1.14    4 months ago

Thought for the day: If you're giving people the impression that you're rooting against your fellow Americans and for a deadly virus attacking them, you might want to think it over.

MUVA
2.1.16  MUVA  replied to  Vic Eldred @2.1.15    4 months ago

It's all about November when your party is running a senile old fart  who can't remember what day it is well what's the alternative.  

Vic Eldred
2.1.17  Vic Eldred  replied to  MUVA @2.1.16    4 months ago

They know it too. They're whispering the name Cuomo! You know, the guy who's sitting on 4,000 ventilators

MUVA
2.1.18  MUVA  replied to  Vic Eldred @2.1.17    4 months ago

He wants all the supplies then what he doesn't need he will dole out. 

Vic Eldred
2.1.19  Vic Eldred  replied to  MUVA @2.1.18    4 months ago

NY voters get the prize. Between him and the NYC Mayor, who first told New Yorkers to go about their business as usual and of late has become panic-stricken, pleading with the federal government for help. 

MUVA
2.1.20  MUVA  replied to  Vic Eldred @2.1.19    4 months ago

The mayor is a joke. I actually thought the Governor was doing a good job and like you said the democratic party hierarchy got to him and he went all horder partisan.   

Vic Eldred
2.1.21  Vic Eldred  replied to  MUVA @2.1.20    4 months ago

You got it. They want to draw attention to the initial short comings of the CDC. However the ball is rolling fast now. By the time this thing is over it will look like we pounded an ant with a sledge hammer!

2.1.22  seeder  1776 Traditional American  replied to  Krishna @2.1.14    4 months ago

2.1.23  seeder  1776 Traditional American  replied to  Vic Eldred @2.1.15    4 months ago

Good point and well said.  Thanks!  👍👏

bugsy
2.1.24  bugsy  replied to  Vic Eldred @2.1.17    4 months ago
the guy who's sitting on 4,000 ventilators

The same guy who implored to New Yorkers to not buy more toilet paper than what they will need.

He said he is prepping for what is essentially a guess. Maybe he should loan those ventilators to cities in the area who might need them now.

Vic Eldred
2.1.25  Vic Eldred  replied to  bugsy @2.1.24    4 months ago

Very soon he will have another 4,000. That makes 8,000. I'm wondering what he is doing for New Yorkers?

2.1.26  seeder  1776 Traditional American  replied to  Vic Eldred @2.1.25    4 months ago

Not much it seems. He’s an accomplished complainer though

Vic Eldred
2.1.27  Vic Eldred  replied to  1776 Traditional American @2.1.26    4 months ago
He’s an accomplished complainer though

Cuomo never thinks it's enough!

I want to know why the Governor is holding daily press briefings - nationally covered press briefings?

Think about it.

Krishna
2.1.28  Krishna  replied to  lady in black @2.1.1    one month ago
What is contradicting about Crooked donnie thinking he knows more than anyone on the planet

Well, Trump knows more about everything-- than anyone else on the entire!planet. (And although he's an extremely humble person, on rare occasions he's been known to grudgingly admit it!)

2.2  seeder  1776 Traditional American  replied to  lady in black @2    4 months ago

White House coronavirus task force member Dr. Deborah Birx warned the public not to panic when they hear about models and projections of the pandemic's spread.

"Models are models," she said. "When people start talking about 20% of a population getting infected, it's very scary, but we don't have data that matches that based on our experience."

She said the media should not "make the implication that when they need a hospital bed it's not going to be there, or a ventilator, it's not going to be there, we don't have evidence of that."

"It's our job collectively to assure the American people," she also said. "There is no model right now -- no reality on the ground where we can see that 60% to 70% of Americans are going to get infected in the next eight to 12 weeks. I want to be clear about that."

DR. DEBORAH BRIX: I'm sure you have seen the recent report out of the U.K. about them adjusting completely their needs. This is really quite important. If you remember, that was the report that says there would be 500,000 deaths in the U.K. and 2.2 million deaths in the United States. They've adjusted that number in the U.K. to 20,000. Half a million to 20,000. We are looking at that in great detail to understand that adjustment. 

I'm going to say something that is a little bit complicated but do it in a way we can understand it together. In the model, either you have to have a large group of people who a-asymptomatic, who never presented for any test to have the kind of numbers predicted. To get to 60 million people infected, you have to have a large group of a-symptomatics. We have not seen an attack rate over 1 in 1,000. So either we are measuring the iceberg and underneath it, are a large group of people. So we are working hard to get the antibody test and figure out who these people are and do they exist. Or we have the transmission completely wrong. 

So these are the things we are looking at, because the predictions of the model don't match the reality on the ground in China, South Korea or Italy. We are five times the size of Italy. If we were Italy and did all those divisions, Italy should have close to 400,000 deaths. They are not close to achieving that. 

Models are models. We are -- there is enough data of the real experience with the coronavirus on the ground to really make these predictions much more sound. So when people start talking about 20% of a population getting infected, it's very scary, but we don't have data that matches that based on our experience. 

And the situation about ventilators. We are reassured in meeting with our colleagues in New York that there are still I.C.U. Beds remaining and still significant -- over 1,000 or 2,000 ventilators that have not been utilized. 

Please for the reassurance of people around the world, to wake up this morning and look at people talking about creating DNR situations, Do Not Resuscitate situations for patients, there is no situation in the United States right now that warrants that kind of discussion. You can be thinking about it in the hospital. Certainly, hospitals talk about this on a daily basis, but to say that to the American people and make the implication that when they need a hospital bed it's not going to be there or a ventilator, it's not going to be there, we don't have evidence of that. 

It's our job collectively to assure the American people, it's our job to make sure that doesn't happen. You can see the cases are concentrated in highly urban areas and there are other parts of the states that have lots of ventilators and other parts of New York state that don't have any infected. We can meet the needs by being responsive. 

There is no model right now -- no reality on the ground where we can see that 60% to 70% of Americans are going to get infected in the next eight to 12 weeks. I want to be clear about that. We are adapting to the reality on the ground and looking at the models of how they can inform but learning from South Korea and Italy and from Spain and I know you will look up my numbers.  https://www.realclearpolitics.com/video/2020/03/26/dr_birx_coronavirus_data_doesnt_match_the_doomsday_media_predictions_or_analysis.html

XDm9mm
3  XDm9mm    4 months ago

President Trump understands what his vitriolic haters never understand.  The economy is FUNDAMENTAL to the function of the country.  The economy is made up of the American workers and the companies that employ them.  

Companies don't operate without workers and with limited exceptions, workers don't operate without companies.  They're symbiotically dependent.

Having said that, I'll posit that there are many on the left who would welcome and even openly express great joy in the American economy, and with it the greatest country on the face of the earth collapsing.   

3.1  seeder  1776 Traditional American  replied to  XDm9mm @3    4 months ago

I agree with you, especially the last part of your post.  Right on! 👍👏

JohnRussell
4  JohnRussell    4 months ago
The president understands that we need a sustainable strategy to defeat the virus and that the current lockdown is unsustainable. A  record 3.28 million Americans applied for unemployment benefits last week, and economists warn that gross domestic product could decline by about  30 percent  in the second quarter as a result of the lockdown. That can’t continue indefinitely.  The emergency relief bill buys us some more time, but at enormous cost. We are borrowing $2 trillion from our children and grandchildren so the government can effectively replace the lost revenue and paychecks of millions of businesses and workers in the United States. We can’t do that forever. And replacing lost income does not replace the dignity of work. 

There is a major flaw with this right wing article - no one is suggesting that a "lockdown" could or should go on forever. 

The seeded article sets up a false choice, either end the lockdown real soon or people will lose the dignity that comes with work. This is obvious nonsense, but that doesnt stop these people. 

The lockdown should end when it is safe to do so without restarting the pandemic here.  Thats should be the beginning and the end of it. 

The "national debt" should play zero role. Most Americans , in and out of Washington dont give a damn about the national debt, and now we are supposed to at a time when tens of thousands of lives are on the line? Please. 

The PURPOSE of the bailout and stimulus and personal payouts just passed by Congress is to tide the economy over until the crisis is over.  Now, before these actions even go into effect people want to end the lockdown. 

Wait for the experts to say it's time. period. 

XDm9mm
4.1  XDm9mm  replied to  JohnRussell @4    4 months ago
The lockdown should end when it is safe to do so without restarting the pandemic here.  Thats should be the beginning and the end of it.

As President Trump HAS noted!!

From the article itself:

Trump said his “goal is to ease the guidelines and open things up to very large sections of our country” and that “I hope we can do this by Easter,” but added that “our decision will be based on hard facts and data.” 

4.1.1  seeder  1776 Traditional American  replied to  XDm9mm @4.1    4 months ago

Facts and data?  How shocking!  Leftists

are just bitter that rural small town and exurban America will get started again ahead of big blue urban areas due to facts and data.  

Dulay
4.1.2  Dulay  replied to  XDm9mm @4.1    4 months ago

Yet the irony is that Trump has NO authority to make that decision. Most states acted long before Trump 'saw the light' and their Governors will be the ones making the decision when to allow non-essential workers to go back to work. 

So Trump can stand up there and bloviate all he wants but it's out of his hands. I'm sure he can try to strong arm some GOP Governors to screw their constituents and I hope that their people, that is whoever's left, will hold them accountable. 

The FACT is, there isn't enough county by county 'hard facts and data' to make cogent calls on who should go back to work and who shouldn't. Not enough people have been tested. Rural hospitals are being overwhelmed as we speak. Point of care testing won't even start until the end of the month. 

Trump's favorite report card, the Dow, makes it pretty clear that Wall Street isn't fooled by Trump's BS. 

4.1.3  seeder  1776 Traditional American  replied to  Dulay @4.1.2    4 months ago

We have two weeks plus before the earliest possible event of this sort can even happen.  They will base the decision on facts and data from the experts on the commission.  The federal government has chosen to give the states a lot of lee way in how they each handle the crisis.  When counties or areas are cleared it will be by region or county as facts and data permits.  Do you really think that Newsom or Cuomo would try to use some state power to block inland or upstate areas from being  cleared to resume economic activity by the feds. I can assure you that we in rural California will sue the state and get a court to compel Sacramento to not trap us in the same matrix as the Bay Area and LA.  We know that the Bay Area, Seattle, and NYC will be among the last places to resume economic activity.  Thus why the feds are going by county rather than by state. 

cjcold
4.1.4  cjcold  replied to  XDm9mm @4.1    4 months ago

When has Trump ever made a decision based on hard facts and data? He has a long history of denying the hard facts and data when it comes to anything scientific. 

Just because Trump says a thing doesn't make it true. Just the opposite in fact.

Krishna
4.1.5  Krishna  replied to  1776 Traditional American @4.1.1    4 months ago
Facts and data?  How shocking!  Leftists are just bitter that rural small town and exurban America will get started again ahead of big blue urban areas due to facts and data.  

Are you sure they will?

BTW I bookmarked your comment-- give it a week or two. (I will return then to do an accuracy check jrSmiley_2_smiley_image.png ).

Krishna
4.1.6  Krishna  replied to  XDm9mm @4.1    4 months ago

“our decision will be based on hard facts and data.” 

WTF?

Trump NEVER bases his decision on "hard facts and data". He ALWAYS bases them on "His Gut Feelings".

Dulay
4.1.7  Dulay  replied to  1776 Traditional American @4.1.3    4 months ago

That's an utterly ridiculous statement Xx. The Constitution gives states the authority to 'handle the crisis'. Trump has nothing to say about it. 

There isn't enough testing to 'clear' any given county. Your own Shasta Co. Health Dept are rationing tests because they are short on supplies to run tests and they're having issues with 'North State' idiots that refuse to comply with the stay at home order. 

Do you really think that Newsom or Cuomo would try to use some state power to block inland or upstate areas from being  cleared to resume economic activity by the feds.

They ALREADY have Xx. The Governors are the Commander in Chief of their states. Trump can't force them to send people back to work. 

I can assure you that we in rural California will sue the state and get a court to compel Sacramento to not trap us in the same matrix as the Bay Area and LA.

Your county officials swore an oath the uphold the Constitution of the US AND the State Xx. I suggest you go READ your State Constitution to help you recognize that Newsom is well within his authority to MANDATE that citizens of CA stay at home and punish those that refuse to comply. 

Then go on youtube and watch the briefing that your County officials have daily. They are telling you to keep your ass at home. Idiots that don't comply are endangering others, including their own families AND wasting valuable resources better spent elsewhere. 

You are delusional if you think a court will rule that during a state of emergency, petulant idiots should get their way. 

Vic Eldred
4.1.8  Vic Eldred  replied to  Dulay @4.1.7    4 months ago
Trump has nothing to say about it. 

He has a boat load to say about it - it's the blue states doing all the begging and crying. New York got 4,000 ventilators, which it hasn't used with the Governor now claiming he needs 30,000 based on his "model."  He also lied to the people of the state about getting only 3 Billion, but Chuck Schumer corrected him:

"New York residents will cumulatively get $40 billion in relief, Schumer said, because of the other assistance included in the bill that’s targeted at Americans, regardless of state -- relief that will go to small business owners, hospitals and unemployment insurance."

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/york-dc-call-shortcomings-relief-bill-stand-gain/story?id=69813565

The President has been gracious with these animals. They should show some appreciation, but it's beyond them - pigs that they are!

4.1.9  seeder  1776 Traditional American  replied to  Krishna @4.1.5    4 months ago

You are going to revive my seed long after people here have moved on to other seeds?  

4.1.10  seeder  1776 Traditional American  replied to  Vic Eldred @4.1.8    4 months ago

That they are.  While we maintain social distancing we are up here trying to keep as much of our economy going as possible.  Schools and some government offices are closed as are theaters, fitness gyms, restaurants indoors, etc.  If after the feds determine an area to be safe to return to return to work by county we expect to be free by county regardless of what’s happening in a distant county in the same state.  The leadership in California and New York are indeed pigs 🐖 

Dulay
4.1.11  Dulay  replied to  Vic Eldred @4.1.8    4 months ago
He has a boat load to say about it

Oh sure Vic, nothing can stop Trump from bloviating. But I note that you didn't post under what authority Trump can force a Governor to send people back to work. 

Kavika
4.1.12  Kavika   replied to  Dulay @4.1.11    4 months ago

Trump has already backed off the ''quarantine'' of NY and some surrounding areas. 

Just more hot air from him.

Kavika
4.1.13  Kavika   replied to  1776 Traditional American @4.1.10    4 months ago
The leadership in California and New York are indeed pigs 🐖 

I'm sure that they don't much care what people that believe in a mythical kingdom of Jeffersonia think. 

Vic Eldred
4.1.14  Vic Eldred  replied to  Dulay @4.1.11    4 months ago
But I note that you didn't post under what authority Trump can force a Governor to send people back to work.

Is that your question?

So you want to tell us all that the Governors retain principal authority over public emergencies (Federalism)? There is one little problem with that. A state like New York is stuck with Cuomo. A Governor who has done little with that authority, other than begging the President for aid and asking for a federal takeover of everything. There are vastly different situations facing each state, ranging from minor difficulties to the full fledged pandemic which is New York. So maybe we should start taking a close look at what Governors have done with their authority.

BTW the NY Governor is suing the RI Governor for trying to restrict travel from NY.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
4.1.15  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Vic Eldred @4.1.14    4 months ago

Vic,

I can not believe that you wrote that about Cuomo. He asked the President to intact DPA, which he did, but it took time. Time we didn't have. Cuomo can't do anything more than he has as a governor. We have temporary hospitals ready, and beds ready, but without ventilators, none of this means anything. And we don't have basic supplies. We are not stuck with a gov who wants Federal help. That help should have been there. The government was warned for the last 3 years in a row by the CDC, that a respiratory viral pandemic was inevitable and it was ignored. 

And who the hell are you calling Pigs? 

it's the blue states doing all the begging and crying.

That is because we got it first. Blue states tend to be where the cities are at. What are you going to stay when the Red states get it because it's coming. I've checked the numbers at JHU, and Florida, Lousiana, Texas, and Georgia are next in line. Do you think their governors will behave any differently than Cuomo? I think not. The only edge they have on NY is time to have some more supplies. 

BTW the NY Governor is suing the RI Governor for trying to restrict travel from NY.

Yes, because she can not close down interstates. Only the president can.

Freedom Warrior
4.1.16  Freedom Warrior  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @4.1.15    4 months ago

Here's the scoreboard.

https://www.cnn.com/interactive/2020/health/coronavirus-us-maps-and-cases/

Cuomo is going to have to take the heat. And enacting the DPA earlier would have made no difference. Trump was judicious in applying it as he should be.  It's interesting how you can find references periodically to Trump being a dictator then the moment he doesn't act like one he is criticized.   There is a name for that as your know.

cjcold
4.1.17  cjcold  replied to  Krishna @4.1.6    4 months ago

Pretty sure that Trump bases his decisions on whoever pays him the most.

4.1.19  seeder  1776 Traditional American  replied to  Dulay @4.1.11    4 months ago

What is there for you or a governor to gain by trying to keep locked down areas and counties that facts and data have caused the federal government to declare safe to go back to work? Other than petty vindictiveness?  

Vic Eldred
4.1.20  Vic Eldred  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @4.1.15    4 months ago
Cuomo can't do anything more than he has as a governor. We have temporary hospitals ready, and beds ready, but without ventilators, none of this means anything.

Then explain to me why Cuomo didn't seem to know that 4,000 ventilators had been delivered to a warehouse in Edison NJ - AT WHICH POINT THEY WERE PROPERTY OF THE STATE OF NEW YORK?

And we don't have basic supplies. 

Then explain to me why a NY hospital, which is always busy, routinely orders 20,000 masks per day, suddenly orders 300,000 masks per day? What's up with that?

The government was warned for the last 3 years in a row by the CDC, that a respiratory viral pandemic was inevitable and it was ignored. 

In other words the warning suddenly began the day Trump was inaugurated?  And that warning correctly predicted a new virus emerging from China this past December?  That's stunning!

That is because we got it first. Blue states tend to be where the cities are at. 

That is only part of the equation. Travel is the big component. Chinese travel to northern Italy - travel from Europe to the east coast - travel from panic stricken NY to RI. The final component was the total lack of preparation by the CDC for anything near this magnitude.

Do you think their governors will behave any differently than Cuomo?

I think that Gov Ron DeSantis might just be the best Governor in the country. 

Is that what she was trying to do?  I thought she was trying to quarantine New Yorkers. Some states are doing that.

4.1.21  seeder  1776 Traditional American  replied to  Vic Eldred @4.1.20    4 months ago

Well the shutdown is unsustainable long term but because our President listens to experts and the facts and data and extended the social distancing shutdown until April 30, despite his aspirational goal of Easter.  So now May one we look forward to going back to work as facts and data allow county by county.  

Vic Eldred
4.1.22  Vic Eldred  replied to  1776 Traditional American @4.1.21    4 months ago
Well the shutdown is unsustainable long term

The longer the shutdown the longer it will take to restore the economy. Any American wishing for economic collapse should be ashamed.

Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom
4.1.24  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom  replied to  1776 Traditional American @4.1.10    4 months ago
The leadership in California and New York are indeed pigs

Pigs?  You are calling leaders who give a shit about the citizens in their states, pigs, and yet you praise a skank of an individual who thought nothing of accusing nurses and doctors of stealing masks and selling them 'out of the back door'.  He also stated that there should be an investigation into the disappearance of supplies.

Make no mistake, dearie, the real pig is sitting in the Oval Office.  Also, before you call anyone else a pig, perhaps you should take an inventory of your own character.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
4.1.25  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Vic Eldred @4.1.20    4 months ago
Then explain to me why Cuomo didn't seem to know that 4,000 ventilators had been delivered to a warehouse in Edison NJ - AT WHICH POINT THEY WERE PROPERTY OF THE STATE OF NEW YORK?

He did know. He said he needed 40,000 not 4,000. 

Then explain to me why a NY hospital, which is always busy, routinely orders 20,000 masks per day, suddenly orders 300,000 masks per day? What's up with that?

Ordering and getting are two different things. Also out governer is bidding against other states for the same supplies and they are paying what should be black market prices. 

The government was warned for the last 3 years in a row by the CDC, that a respiratory viral pandemic was inevitable and it was ignored. 

In other words the warning suddenly began the day Trump was inaugurated?  And that warning correctly predicted a new virus emerging from China this past December?  That's stunning!

No that means exactly what I said. He was warned for the past 3 years by the CDC that a respiratory viral pandemic was inevitable and it was ignored. Don't twist my words.

Do you think their governors will behave any differently than Cuomo?

I think that Gov Ron DeSantis might just be the best Governor in the country. 

I didn't ask you who you thought was your best Gov was. I asked you Do you think their governors will behave any differently than Cuomo?

Is that what she was trying to do?  I thought she was trying to quarantine New Yorkers. Some states are doing that.

I realize that Vic, but what they would like to do and what they can do are two different things. 

Perrie Halpern R.A.
4.1.26  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Vic Eldred @4.1.22    4 months ago
Any American wishing for economic collapse should be ashamed.

I have yet to meet one. It would be a disaster to all of us.

Vic Eldred
4.1.27  Vic Eldred  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @4.1.25    3 months ago
He said he needed 40,000 not 4,000. 

Technically he asked for 30,000, which at this point is still a pie in the sky number. What we do know is that the first 4,000 he was sent were never distributed. This morning the President talked about the possibility of fining Cuomo for not sending those machines to hospitals. I know he wont do that, but I wish he would.

https://thehill.com/homenews/state-watch/489214-cuomo-says-ny-needs-30000-ventilators-pleads-with-feds-for-help

Ordering and getting are two different things. 

Oh for sure and ordering wildly should be prohibited. Hospitals need to sterilize masks & protective equipment so we are not disposing of masks every 5 minutes. They will be distributing many this week. They need half a chance to stock the hospitals.

Also out governer is bidding against other states for the same supplies and they are paying what should be black market prices. 

And you would prefer what - the federal government taking over? The government is going after the sub contractors (like the ones servicing 3M) who are trying to profit from this, however there is also the problem of hoarding.

He was warned for the past 3 years by the CDC that a  respiratory viral pandemic was inevitable and it was ignored. Don't twist my words.

I'm not twisting them, I'm addressing them. "He" means Trump and it's too bad you decided to go there. If you want to blame anyone start with the Chinese government. I haven't heard many here fix the blame on the government that allowed all those flights to go in and out when they knew they had a highly contagious disease in their midst.  Other than that is the CDC. They are a huge agency that focuses on many things and has a large budget. If they thought a pandemic was coming, they should have been focused on that instead of using resources to influence people's lifestyles:

https://www.lowellsun.com/2020/03/29/cdc-priorities-left-government-unprepared-for-covid-19/

I didn't ask you who you thought was your best Gov was.

I know you didn't, but I thought I'd give credit where credit is do. Gov Greg Abbott also deserves credit - he is locking up criminals rather than releasing them!

I asked you  Do you think their governors will behave any differently than Cuomo?

Yes, many have. For instance non essential business is pretty much closed down in New York. If you don't mind a little anecdotal example, Florida has left some business altered - like horse racing! You can't bet on anything else in this country. Sports events are postponed, casinos are closed, but in Florida they're tracks are flourishing! Another example which I already alluded to is the prison population. New York turns 'em loose and Texas keeps 'em locked up.
One more example - the bidding you mentioned. DeSantis has been far more aggressive than Cuomo. That is ok because Florida has a larger population than New York and is far more efficient with it's revenues.

BTW, maybe you would know - Is Cuomo looking to be offered the democratic nomination?

I realize that Vic, but what they would like to do and what they can do are two different things. 

Yes, I think the border states got a good education on that under the previous administration, didn't they?

Vic Eldred
4.1.28  Vic Eldred  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @4.1.26    3 months ago
I have yet to meet one.

Then I must commend the people of New York!  Ever upward/Excelsior!

4.1.29  seeder  1776 Traditional American  replied to  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom @4.1.24    3 months ago

The man sitting in the Oval Office is a  great American who is leading America in this troubling time and showing great leadership skills.  We look forward to the valuable info we get from his daily briefings and the comfort he brings us

Krishna
4.1.30  Krishna  replied to  1776 Traditional American @4.1.1    2 weeks ago
are just bitter that rural small town and exurban America will get started again ahead of big blue urban areas due to facts and data.  

How's that been working out so far?

4.2  seeder  1776 Traditional American  replied to  JohnRussell @4    4 months ago

Krishna
4.2.1  Krishna  replied to  1776 Traditional American @4.2    4 months ago
removed for context

Prostelytizing.

cjcold
4.2.2  cjcold  replied to  Krishna @4.2.1    4 months ago

[Deleted]

4.2.3  seeder  1776 Traditional American  replied to  cjcold @4.2.2    4 months ago

She has clearly told you that I don’t work for Heartland Institute.  I worked for one employer for 33 1/3 years until January 17 and started with my 2nd employer on Jan 29.  

squiggy
4.2.4  squiggy  replied to  cjcold @4.2.2    4 months ago

[Deleted]

4.2.5  seeder  1776 Traditional American  replied to  Krishna @4.2.1    4 months ago

some would prefer Americans to remain in a state of hopelessness.  Fortunately Fox News and Fox Nation are not among them. 

4.2.6  seeder  1776 Traditional American  replied to  1776 Traditional American @4.2    4 months ago

Keep up the hope America.  Keep our Christian faith and pray for us and our country through these tough times.  God bless one and all.  

katrix
4.2.7  katrix  replied to  1776 Traditional American @4.2.6    4 months ago

Gotta love how you make it about your religion. Screw the non Christian Americans .... your comments disgust me.

Texan1211
4.2.8  Texan1211  replied to  katrix @4.2.7    4 months ago
Screw the non Christian Americans

Not even close to what he stated.

your comments disgust me.

Faux-offended. Not a good look.

Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom
4.2.9  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom  replied to  Texan1211 @4.2.8    4 months ago

[deleted]

Texan1211
4.2.10  Texan1211  replied to  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom @4.2.9    3 months ago

removed for context

Vic Eldred
4.2.11  Vic Eldred  replied to  Texan1211 @4.2.10    3 months ago

Just in from your very own Rep Kevin Brady:

AS OF THIS MORNING U.S.:

135,499 cases / 2,381 deaths

NY: 59,513 / 958
NJ: 13,386 / 157
CA: 4,643 / 118
WA: 4,310 / 186
Texas: 2,552 / 34

4.2.12  seeder  1776 Traditional American  replied to  Texan1211 @4.2.8    3 months ago

Thanks for your fine comments. You were well stated in them. 👏

4.2.13  seeder  1776 Traditional American  replied to  katrix @4.2.7    3 months ago

Where did I suggest that those who were of Jewish,Muslim or another actual religion should not keep up their faith and do the rest of what I said.  Your faux outrage falls upon deaf ears.  Did I not say God bless one and ALL? 

Freedom Warrior
4.2.14  Freedom Warrior  replied to  1776 Traditional American @4.2.6    3 months ago

My family certainly is keeping the faith.

Freedom Warrior
4.2.15  Freedom Warrior  replied to  1776 Traditional American @4.2.13    3 months ago

You didn’t of course,  this just smells of more anti-Christian bigotry since you are neither Jewish nor Muslim thus making such a reference to a religion you are not a part of rather unauthentic. 

4.2.16  seeder  1776 Traditional American  replied to  Freedom Warrior @4.2.14    3 months ago

Us too. There would be no ultimate hope in this world without our faith.  

4.3  seeder  1776 Traditional American  replied to  JohnRussell @4    4 months ago

Right wing article from MSN and the Washington post? 

Krishna
4.3.1  Krishna  replied to  1776 Traditional American @4.3    4 months ago
Right wing article from MSN and the Washington post? 

Nah. Probably just more TDS. Or some more HDS. You can safely ignore it.

4.3.2  seeder  1776 Traditional American  replied to  Krishna @4.3.1    4 months ago

You realize that the Bezos Amazon Post along with MSN was the source of this seeded article? 

5  seeder  1776 Traditional American    4 months ago
AP20087726887270.jpghttps://d2pggiv3o55wnc.cloudfront.net/oann/wp-content/uploads/2020/03/AP20087726887270-315x210.jpg 315w, https://d2pggiv3o55wnc.cloudfront.net/oann/wp-content/uploads/2020/03/AP20087726887270-655x437.jpg 655w, https://d2pggiv3o55wnc.cloudfront.net/oann/wp-content/uploads/2020/03/AP20087726887270-768x512.jpg 768w" sizes="(max-width: 1024px) 100vw, 1024px" style="max-width:none;margin:0.5em auto;display:block;height:auto;width:375px;" >

A worker, wearing personal protective equipment, builds a splash guard during a mass manufacturing operation to supply New York City government with protection to distribute against COVID-19, Friday, March 27, 2020, at the Brooklyn Navy Yard in New York. (AP Photo/John Minchillo)

During the press briefing, he also said hospitals need to stop hoarding medical equipment during the pandemic. The president urged hospitals who are not using devices, such as ventilators and face masks, to release them to areas most impacted by the virus.

President Trump recently invoked emergency powers to mandate  General Motors  begin manufacturing ventilators for coronavirus patients. Although new medical equipment is in the works, the president emphasized hospitals need to share the equipment they already have if it is not being used.

“We do have a problem of hoarding. We have some health care workers, some hospitals…hoarding equipment, including ventilators. We have to release those ventilators, especially hospitals that are never going to use them. They don’t want to lose their ventilators in case they need them, but these are areas in some cases that probably will not need them.”

– Donald Trump, 45th President of the United States

AP20088521753892.jpghttps://d2pggiv3o55wnc.cloudfront.net/oann/wp-content/uploads/2020/03/AP20088521753892-294x210.jpg 294w, https://d2pggiv3o55wnc.cloudfront.net/oann/wp-content/uploads/2020/03/AP20088521753892-612x437.jpg 612w, https://d2pggiv3o55wnc.cloudfront.net/oann/wp-content/uploads/2020/03/AP20088521753892-768x548.jpg 768w" sizes="(max-width: 1024px) 100vw, 1024px" style="max-width:none;margin:0.5em auto;display:block;height:auto;width:375px;" >

A nurse demonstrates outside the emergency entrance at Jacobi Medical Center in the Bronx borough of New York, Saturday, March 28, 2020, demanding more personal protective equipment for medical staff treating coronavirus patients. (AP Photo/Kathy Willens)

A plane carrying much needed medical supplies from China touched down in New York Sunday as part of the Trump administration’s efforts to combat the pandemic. The commercial carrier landed at John F. Kennedy Airport with a cargo of 12 million gloves, 130,000 N95 masks and 1.7 million surgical masks.

“At President Trump’s direction, we formed an unprecedented public-private partnership to ensure that massive amounts of masks, gear and other PPE will be brought to the United States immediately to better equip our health care workers on the front lines and to better serve the American people,” read a statement from White House senior staff.

Most of the supplies will be allocated by FEMA to New York, New Jersey and Connecticut, while nursing homes and high-risk areas in other parts of the country will be given the rest.

This is the first of several supply flights the White House has planned over the next month. About 20 airlifts are set to take place through early April alone.

As of Sunday, the COVID-19 death toll in the U.S. reached at least 2,400, with more than 140,000 confirmed cases.

MORE NEWS President Trump Grants Conn., Ore. Major Disaster Declarations