╌>

Pence staff threatens action against reporter who tweeted about visit to clinic without surgical mask

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  larry-hampton  •  4 years ago  •  161 comments

Pence staff threatens action against reporter who tweeted about visit to clinic without surgical mask
Pence’s office had told journalists they would need masks for Pence’s visit to the Mayo Clinic — a requirement Pence himself did not follow

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

Vice President Pence’s office has threatened to retaliate against a reporter who revealed that Pence’s office had told journalists they would need masks for Pence’s visit to the Mayo Clinic — a requirement Pence himself did not follow.

Pence’s trip to the clinic Tuesday   generated criticism   after he was   photographed without a surgical mask   — the only person in the room not wearing one. The Minnesota clinic requires visitors to wear masks as a precaution against spreading the coronavirus.

Pence’s wife, Karen Pence, said   in an interview with Fox News   on Thursday that he was unaware of the mask policy until his visit was over.

But   Steve Herman,   who covers the White House for Voice of America, suggested that there was more to the story after Karen Pence’s interview.

“All of us who traveled with [Pence] were notified by the office of @VP the day before the trip that wearing of masks was required by the @MayoClinic and to prepare accordingly,”   tweeted Herman , who covered the trip as part of his rotation as one of the pool reporters, who share information with other reporters in limited-space situations.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Larry Hampton
Professor Participates
1  seeder  Larry Hampton    4 years ago

The tweet apparently enraged Pence’s staff, which told Herman that he had violated the off-the-record terms of a planning memo that had been sent to him and other reporters in advance of Pence’s trip.

-------------------------------------------

The directive confirms that Pence’s staff was well aware of the need for masks, raising the possibility that none of his aides alerted him to the requirement or that Pence had intentionally flouted it, perhaps to avoid being photographed in a mask. (Pence himself told reporters after the visit that because he doesn’t have the  coronavirus  — he is tested frequently — he decided he could “speak to these researchers, these incredible health-care personnel, and look them in the eye and say thank you.”)

It Is ME
Masters Guide
1.1  It Is ME  replied to  Larry Hampton @1    4 years ago
The directive confirms that Pence’s staff was well aware of the need for masks, raising the possibility that none of his aides alerted him to the requirement or that Pence had intentionally flouted it, perhaps to avoid being photographed in a mask. (Pence himself told reporters after the visit that because he doesn’t have the  coronavirus  — he is tested frequently — he decided he could “speak to these researchers, these incredible health-care personnel, and look them in the eye and say thank you.”)

So....what's the "Issue" here ?

Gordy327
Professor Expert
1.1.1  Gordy327  replied to  It Is ME @1.1    4 years ago

You mean other than him not wearing a mask?

It Is ME
Masters Guide
1.1.2  It Is ME  replied to  Gordy327 @1.1.1    4 years ago

Was he wearing one when they first walked in ?

Did he just take it off when speaking to people as in the picture, then  …… SNAP …… Gotchya Photo ? jrSmiley_97_smiley_image.gif

A few questions that should be easy to answer.....right ?

MrFrost
Professor Expert
1.1.3  MrFrost  replied to  It Is ME @1.1.2    4 years ago
Was he wearing one when they first walked in ?

No. 

Did he just take it off when speaking to people as in the picture, then  …… SNAP …… Gotchya Photo ?

No. 

Yep. 

Looks like he stood still for lots of "gotcya" photos. 

MrFrost
Professor Expert
1.1.4  MrFrost  replied to  It Is ME @1.1.2    4 years ago

Why would you take off a mask to talk to someone? Fun fact, a mask doesn't stop you from speaking, (but apparently it does stop you from seeing...). 

It Is ME
Masters Guide
1.1.5  It Is ME  replied to  MrFrost @1.1.4    4 years ago
Why would you take off a mask to talk to someone

The better to "see" and "hear" you ?

Just a "Simple" thought. jrSmiley_82_smiley_image.gif

MrFrost
Professor Expert
1.1.6  MrFrost  replied to  MrFrost @1.1.3    4 years ago

Notice in those pics, everyone is wearing a mask, except Pence. 

It Is ME
Masters Guide
1.1.7  It Is ME  replied to  MrFrost @1.1.3    4 years ago
No. 

I just can't find the "Front Door" in your pics.

You do know what...."First Walked In" means....right ?

MrFrost
Professor Expert
1.1.8  MrFrost  replied to  It Is ME @1.1.5    4 years ago
The better to "see" and "hear" you ?

That makes no sense since a mask blocks neither of those two things. Look, you were proven wrong. Might be time to stop digging that hole you are standing in instead of trying to spin to the next talking point. I have neither the time nor desire to sit here and prove you wrong all day. 

MrFrost
Professor Expert
1.1.9  MrFrost  replied to  It Is ME @1.1.7    4 years ago

So he took the mask off as soon as he went into the hospital? Yea, that make sense. Was he wearing a mask when he went to take a shit? Will that be your next question? Pretty obvious he wasn't wearing a fucking mask. Deal with it. 

It Is ME
Masters Guide
1.1.10  It Is ME  replied to  MrFrost @1.1.8    4 years ago
That makes no sense since a mask blocks neither of those two things.

It makes perfect sense, as it does both (Hides face and facial expressions (Very important to understanding a persons sincerity in their words) , and can muffle the spoken word) ! jrSmiley_88_smiley_image.gif

MrFrost
Professor Expert
1.1.11  MrFrost  replied to  It Is ME @1.1.7    4 years ago
I just can't find the "Front Door" in your pics.

And your agrument after that? "Maybe he took the mask off for the pictures!!!!" Which would only make Pence look even more stupid than we already know he is.

It Is ME
Masters Guide
1.1.12  It Is ME  replied to  MrFrost @1.1.11    4 years ago
And your agrument after that?

It was Self explanatory !

maybe Re-Read my comment ?

MrFrost
Professor Expert
1.1.13  MrFrost  replied to  It Is ME @1.1.10    4 years ago

It makes perfect sense, as it does both (Hides face and facial expressions (Very important to understanding a persons sincerity in their words) , and can muffle the spoken word) !

False. Pretty obvious you have never worn a mask or spoken to people wearing one. But by your own argument, (and while you ignore 5 pictures of him not wearing a mask in Mayo Clinic), he is taking the mask off to spread more germs around.....in a fucking hospital. Not too bright is he? 

It Is ME
Masters Guide
1.1.14  It Is ME  replied to  MrFrost @1.1.9    4 years ago
Pretty obvious he wasn't wearing a fucking mask.  

Duh !

Nothing you've noted...…. says  WHY !

Maybe the "Report" shoulda been a bit more detailed on that ?

MrFrost
Professor Expert
1.1.15  MrFrost  replied to  It Is ME @1.1.12    4 years ago

Maybe look at all the pictures of Pence not wearing a mask? 

BTW. We know your game, argue until your in a corner, then just bring up some other nuance to try to dance out of being wrong. Moving on, you lost the argument. SORRY! 

MrFrost
Professor Expert
1.1.16  MrFrost  replied to  It Is ME @1.1.14    4 years ago

Because he is a fucking retard. Reason given! 

It Is ME
Masters Guide
1.1.17  It Is ME  replied to  MrFrost @1.1.13    4 years ago
False. Pretty obvious you have never worn a mask or spoken to people wearing one.

" Ass uming"....isn't a good trait ! 

Leave me a voice message wearing a mask, and I'll let you know. jrSmiley_9_smiley_image.gif

MrFrost
Professor Expert
1.1.18  MrFrost  replied to  It Is ME @1.1.14    4 years ago

Who gives a shit, "why", he wasn't wearing one, which was the point. Remember? 

It Is ME
Masters Guide
1.1.19  It Is ME  replied to  MrFrost @1.1.16    4 years ago
Because he is a fucking retard.

No....that's not it ! jrSmiley_55_smiley_image.gif

It Is ME
Masters Guide
1.1.20  It Is ME  replied to  MrFrost @1.1.18    4 years ago
Who gives a shit, "why"

The "Why" can bring the entire context of the story into focus.

You don't like "Focusing" ?

MrFrost
Professor Expert
1.1.21  MrFrost  replied to  It Is ME @1.1.19    4 years ago

No....that's not it !

He wasn't wearing a mask in the hospital, I proved that. Have a nice day! 

It Is ME
Masters Guide
1.1.22  It Is ME  replied to  MrFrost @1.1.15    4 years ago
BTW. We know your game, 

No ya don't ! jrSmiley_10_smiley_image.gif

It Is ME
Masters Guide
1.1.23  It Is ME  replied to  MrFrost @1.1.21    4 years ago
He wasn't wearing a mask in the hospital, I proved that.

No....the Pics from the reporter did.

Now....getting serious here …… Why was he not wearing a mask "IN" the medical facility ? jrSmiley_97_smiley_image.gif

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
1.1.24  sandy-2021492  replied to  It Is ME @1.1.20    4 years ago
The "Why" can bring the entire context of the story into focus.

There is no justifiable reason for him not to be wearing a mask.  It was irresponsible.

It Is ME
Masters Guide
1.1.25  It Is ME  replied to  sandy-2021492 @1.1.24    4 years ago
There is no justifiable reason for him not to be wearing a mask. 

Yes there is !

Pelosi is on and off again on the Mask wearing thingy ......along with a bunch of other politicians.

Seeing ones face.....from someone that helps run a country.....is VERY IMPORTANT ….. when they speak to you....and ME !

Sunshine
Professor Quiet
1.1.26  Sunshine  replied to  It Is ME @1.1.25    4 years ago
Pelosi is on and off again on the Mask wearing thingy ......along with a bunch of other politicians.

Maskgate will live on for days and days.  

In November people will still be screaming at the sky "But Pence didn't wear a mask".

It Is ME
Masters Guide
1.1.27  It Is ME  replied to  Sunshine @1.1.26    4 years ago

Nancy is good at walking the halls with a scarf on her face, but when she "Speaks"...…. Off comes the "Scarf" !

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
1.1.28  Trout Giggles  replied to  MrFrost @1.1.4    4 years ago

I have a question...why is he elbow bumping? I thought he said that he and the pres would continue to shake hands because that's just how things are done in politics?

lib50
Professor Silent
1.1.29  lib50  replied to  It Is ME @1.1.27    4 years ago

Why don't you just post a pic of Pence before, during or after the visit.  Otherwise, he didn't wear one and was flouting the mask policy.  Then he and mother go lie about him knowing.  He is definitely not the one to lead this pandemic. 

It Is ME
Masters Guide
1.1.30  It Is ME  replied to  lib50 @1.1.29    4 years ago
Why don't you just post a pic of Pence before, during or after the visit. 

Wouldn't that be the job of the one "Reporting" on this whiny "Nothing to really see here" issue ?

In fact, if you had read my initial comment (1.1.2  It Is ME  replied to  Gordy327 @1.1.1- an hour ago), I had some questions on this.

lib50
Professor Silent
1.1.31  lib50  replied to  It Is ME @1.1.30    4 years ago

Uh, can't post a pic of him wearing it if he NEVER WORE ONE!  You know damn well if Pence wore one they'd have posted a picture themselves of him wearing it.  Maybe Putin will release one for them.

It Is ME
Masters Guide
1.1.32  It Is ME  replied to  lib50 @1.1.31    4 years ago
You know damn well if Pence wore one they'd have posted a picture themselves of him wearing it.

No.... I don't ….. and neither do you … especially when a report comes from someone that has "Issues" with this administration !

Larry Hampton
Professor Participates
1.1.33  seeder  Larry Hampton  replied to  It Is ME @1.1.2    4 years ago

According to Pence's wife says that he was unaware until after the visit was over. It says that in the article. Did yo not see that?

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
1.1.34  sandy-2021492  replied to  It Is ME @1.1.25    4 years ago
Seeing ones face.....from someone that helps run a country.....is VERY IMPORTANT ….. when they speak to you....and ME !

Boy, that's grasping at straws.  Everybody knew who he was.  They've seen his face.

Is Pelosi refusing to wear a mask in a hospital?  Or are you attempting to compare apples and oranges to defend your straw-grasping?

It Is ME
Masters Guide
1.1.35  It Is ME  replied to  sandy-2021492 @1.1.34    4 years ago
Boy, that's grasping at straws. 

You're the one making "Straws" out of nothing. They all speak without masks, when they speak....no matter where they are.

"Is Pelosi refusing to wear a mask in a hospital?"

So folks not in a hospital....aren't people too ? jrSmiley_103_smiley_image.jpg

It Is ME
Masters Guide
1.1.36  It Is ME  replied to  Larry Hampton @1.1.33    4 years ago
According to Pence's wife says that he was unaware until after the visit was over. It says that in the article.

I've noted that already. See if you can find my comment.

Hint:

Comment 1.1 comes to mind. jrSmiley_97_smiley_image.gif

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
1.1.37  sandy-2021492  replied to  It Is ME @1.1.35    4 years ago
no matter where they are.

They all don't go to the hospital and refuse to wear a mask.

Just Pence.

Setting matters, even if you don't want to acknowledge it.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
1.1.38  Trout Giggles  replied to  Sunshine @1.1.26    4 years ago

jrSmiley_78_smiley_image.gif

Gordy327
Professor Expert
1.1.39  Gordy327  replied to  It Is ME @1.1.2    4 years ago

No & no. And there shouldn't have been a "gotcha" moment at all, even if he was wearing a mask. A mask does not obscure vision or speech either. So even if he were wearing a mask, there is no reason to take it off. Unless one is just thoughtless and/or stupid.

Gordy327
Professor Expert
1.1.40  Gordy327  replied to  It Is ME @1.1.25    4 years ago

How is ignoring health risks, both to oneself and to others justifiable? Everyone probably knows who he is and he can even say who he is. So there's no reason to not wear or take off a mask.

It Is ME
Masters Guide
1.1.41  It Is ME  replied to  Gordy327 @1.1.40    4 years ago
How is ignoring health risks, both to oneself and to others justifiable?

Decades worth ?

"So there's no reason to not wear or take off a mask"

I already explained that.

It Is ME
Masters Guide
1.1.42  It Is ME  replied to  Gordy327 @1.1.39    4 years ago
And there shouldn't have been a "gotcha" moment at all

Yet ….. that's what's happening anyway.

Go figure !

Gordy327
Professor Expert
1.1.43  Gordy327  replied to  It Is ME @1.1.42    4 years ago

And Pence is at fault.

It Is ME
Masters Guide
1.1.44  It Is ME  replied to  Gordy327 @1.1.43    4 years ago
And Pence is at fault.

At Fault For ?

Gordy327
Professor Expert
1.1.45  Gordy327  replied to  It Is ME @1.1.41    4 years ago

Your explanation is noted, and quite weak. And decades worth of what? A few months into a pandemic should be enough to know wearing masks is a good idea.

Gordy327
Professor Expert
1.1.46  Gordy327  replied to  It Is ME @1.1.44    4 years ago

For not wearing a mask. I thought that was obvious.

It Is ME
Masters Guide
1.1.47  It Is ME  replied to  Gordy327 @1.1.45    4 years ago
Your explanation is noted, and quite weak.

Do expand on that !

Who did V.P. Pence Infect ?

Now that would be a "Fault" ! 

Gordy327
Professor Expert
1.1.48  Gordy327  replied to  It Is ME @1.1.47    4 years ago

Still Pence. He stupidly put himself and others at increased risk for infection. There's no reasonable or rational justification or defense for that.

It Is ME
Masters Guide
1.1.49  It Is ME  replied to  Gordy327 @1.1.48    4 years ago

And what have the "Experts" said about masks again ?

Something like they don't stop …… ANYTHING (Just a  "Better Feeling" thingy)?

Just wear anything …..what the heck !

SCIENCE:

It Is ME
Masters Guide
1.1.50  It Is ME  replied to  Gordy327 @1.1.46    4 years ago

" Science " (since you're all into that stuff) says it's not a deterrent to the Virus !

See 1.1.49. jrSmiley_9_smiley_image.gif

It's just a "Feel Good" thingy !

The "Face Mask" argument is "WEAK" !

Gordy327
Professor Expert
1.1.51  Gordy327  replied to  It Is ME @1.1.50    4 years ago

Masks help prevent the spread of the virus. Science does say that. Your own source even mentions that. So do medical professionals. So it appears you're the one with the weak argument. 

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
1.1.52  Trout Giggles  replied to  Gordy327 @1.1.51    4 years ago

I have a good illustration at the very bottom the comment thread..column, whatever. See if you can get what's his name to look at it.

Gordy327
Professor Expert
1.1.54  Gordy327  replied to  Trout Giggles @1.1.52    4 years ago

I saw. Very nice. Clear, concise, straight to the point and simple to understand. At least for most people it would seem.

Gordy327
Professor Expert
1.1.55  Gordy327  replied to    4 years ago

Are you trying to be obtuse about this? Any medical/procedural mask will help. Some are more effective than others. 

Gordy327
Professor Expert
1.1.56  Gordy327  replied to  MrFrost @1.1.15    4 years ago

You noticed that too, eh?

Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom
Professor Guide
1.1.57  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom  replied to  It Is ME @1.1.49    4 years ago
And what have the "Experts" said about masks again ? Something like they don't stop …… ANYTHING (Just a  "Better Feeling" thingy)?

I know your propensity for being sassy, so I'm holding my disappointment in check for the moment.  Please know that 'disappointment' doesn't have an insulting connotation behind it.  I just feel strongly about this issue.

First, I'm hoping that at some point you will realize that PPE, and more specifically mouth and nose coverings, are immensely important in helping to minimize the spread of all kinds of infectious illnesses.  Masks protect both the wearer and those around them, and vice versa.  Would you want a doctor that doesn't wear one to operate on you or a friend or family member?  Of course you wouldn't.  

That said, here is a tweet by the Mayo Clinic:

As Vice President of the United States, and as leader of Trump's Coronavirus Task Force, Mike Pence had, and still has, and will have, an obligation to wear a mask, even if only to set an example.  Donald Trump has been vocal with his refusal to wear one, and has actually put his staff in danger with that stupid handshake stunt and whatever else he has done to brush off the responsibility he has to the people of this nation.  What are the odds that Trump has not ordered Pence to not wear a mask just to show support for his own refusal to do so?  Slim and none.  In a way, I feel sorry for Mike Pence.  Whether he knows it yet or not, his political career is over.  His yes-man mentality and constant Trump-ordered statements that begins every sentence, "At the President's direction...", will never be forgotten, even by people who support him.  If he were a Dem showing this behavior, Trump's nickname for him would be Doormat Pence.

In any event, The Mayo Clinic is widely respected for their innovative cancer research and treatment, and organ transplant successes.  These are two areas that demand the most stringent germ fighting precautions.  Frankly, I don't give too much of a crap about Mike Pence and his foolishness, but he should have at least had the common effing sense to show some effing respect for the patients, doctors, nurses and other staff at the Mayo Clinic by keeping his funk to himself.  He demonstrated a severe lack of intellect when he said that he didn't wear a mask because he was tested regularly.   

Anyway, that's just how I feel about it. 

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
1.1.58  sandy-2021492  replied to  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom @1.1.57    4 years ago

jrSmiley_15_smiley_image.gif

Gordy327
Professor Expert
1.1.59  Gordy327  replied to  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom @1.1.57    4 years ago

Well said Sister. But I am less eloquent and more blunt. If someone willingly and/or stupidly goes around without a mask, especially within groups of people, then they are just asking to get Covid. 

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
1.1.60  Raven Wing  replied to  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom @1.1.57    4 years ago
said that he didn't wear a mask because he was tested regularly.

How regular is "regularly?" Every 10 minutes? Every 30 minutes? Every hour? Every day? Once a week? Once a month?

With crap like Covid-19 it does not take but a few seconds for such germs to infect and spread. So "regularly" does not mean s*it in real life. So who is he kidding? Besides himself, that is?.

If he is not going to abide by the expert's recommendations to wear the masks, then he should freakin' stay home and not expose everyone around him to the disease. He is showing that he is not only ignorant, but, that he has no respect for the health and well being of others who he could easily infect. Like Trump, he is not fit for the job of being part of our country's leadership.

pat wilson
Professor Participates
1.1.61  pat wilson  replied to  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom @1.1.57    4 years ago

AMEN

pat wilson
Professor Participates
1.1.62  pat wilson  replied to  Raven Wing @1.1.60    4 years ago
How regular is "regularly?" Every 10 minutes? Every 30 minutes? Every hour? Every day? Once a week? Once a month? With crap like Covid-19 it does not take but a few seconds for such germs to infect and spread. So "regularly" does not mean s*it in real life. So who is he kidding? Besides himself, that is?.

Exactly ! Someone could test negative and an hour later test positive.

Gordy327
Professor Expert
1.1.63  Gordy327  replied to  Raven Wing @1.1.60    4 years ago

Yep, that's our Covid task force "leader" for you: not adhering to and seemingly ignorant of Covid precaution methods. 

MrFrost
Professor Expert
1.1.64  MrFrost  replied to  Sunshine @1.1.26    4 years ago
Maskgate will live on for days and days.  

Tan suit gate is still going strong. 

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
1.1.65  Raven Wing  replied to  Gordy327 @1.1.63    4 years ago
not adhering to and seemingly ignorant of Covid precaution methods. 

I think that Pence is refusing to wear the face masks because Trump does. And if Pence was to wear them and Trump doesn't, then it will make Trump look like an idiot, and setting a bad example for his sheeple. Which of course, Trump is indeed an idiot, and he would likely get angry at Pence for wearing the masks and making him look bad for not wearing them.

However, Pence found out that he is expected to wear the masks, and especially, at hospitals and places where people are already sick. He is give no special dispensation just because he is the VP and the head of the Covid-19 task force.

Duh!

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
1.1.66  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Gordy327 @1.1.63    4 years ago

It is a case of do what I say, not what I do.

Larry Hampton
Professor Participates
1.1.67  seeder  Larry Hampton  replied to  Raven Wing @1.1.65    4 years ago

That assessment makes perfect sense. It also resembles their past strategies. 

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
1.1.68  Raven Wing  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @1.1.66    4 years ago
It is a case of do what I say, not what I do

jrSmiley_79_smiley_image.gif jrSmiley_15_smiley_image.gif

Tessylo
Professor Principal
1.1.69  Tessylo  replied to  It Is ME @1.1.41    4 years ago

'I already explained that'

No, you didn't.  You never do.  It's always the ItIsMe Shuffle

Tessylo
Professor Principal
1.1.70  Tessylo  replied to  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom @1.1.57    4 years ago
First, I'm hoping that at some point you will realize that PPE, and more specifically mouth and nose coverings, are immensely important in helping to minimize the spread of all kinds of infectious illnesses.  Masks protect both the wearer and those around them, and vice versa.  Would you want a doctor that doesn't wear one to operate on you or a friend or family member?  Of course you wouldn't.  

Nah, it's all a 'feel good thingy ! '

It Is ME
Masters Guide
1.1.71  It Is ME  replied to  Tessylo @1.1.69    4 years ago
No, you didn't. 

Did you read any of the back and forth comments ? jrSmiley_10_smiley_image.gif

It Is ME
Masters Guide
1.1.72  It Is ME  replied to  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom @1.1.57    4 years ago
First, I'm hoping that at some point you will realize that PPE, and more specifically mouth and nose coverings, are immensely important in helping to minimize the spread of all kinds of infectious illnesses.

The Eye's….The Eye's....boss....THE EYE's.

Another part of the "Anatomy" it get's into the system from.

of course....the Experts can only say ….. " they don't think so " ! jrSmiley_78_smiley_image.gif

Now …… What do "Masks" actually do again ?

Tessylo
Professor Principal
1.2  Tessylo  replied to  Larry Hampton @1    4 years ago

Ignorance is no excuse you prick Pence.  

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
1.2.1  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Tessylo @1.2    4 years ago

Why was this clown even appointed to the CV task force?  Oh wait, I forgot.  Trump appoints people without qualifications to positions of importance.

Gordy327
Professor Expert
1.2.2  Gordy327  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @1.2.1    4 years ago

I've said before that Pence was a poor choice to head up the covid task force. I mean, we're talking about a guy whose idea of curing disease is to pray it away. And this mask incident only further demonstrates his ineptness for the job. The next time there's a health crisis, how about appointing someone who is an actual doctor or scientist? Or does that make too much sense?

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
1.2.3  Raven Wing  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @1.2.1    4 years ago
Why was this clown even appointed to the CV task force? 

It also seems that Pence is hungry for fame, and also easily manipulated by Trump. Thus, Pence is nothing more than Trumps fall guy. By naming Pence as the head of the virus task force, having no medical or science knowledge at all, If things go wrong with the virus crises Trump can always blame Pence. Someone else may not be a willing to be the fall guy or ass easy to manipulate as Pence.

That is likely also the reason Trump wanted Pence to be his VP. Trump has to have a reliable fall guy to blame for all of his mistakes and wrong doings.

People think Trump is their good fortune in naming them to the positions he has, but, find out the hard way that they are nothing but dupes for his blame games.

Split Personality
Professor Guide
2  Split Personality    4 years ago
he decided he could “speak to these researchers, these incredible health-care personnel, and look them in the eye and say thank you.”

Every late night host/comedian and several evening pundits raised the same question.

If VP Pence needed to take off his mask in order to look Mayo clinic employees in the eye,

then he is wearing the mask wrong,

which could explain his constant flattery and blind, profuse devotion to Mr Trump's "leadership".

MrFrost
Professor Expert
2.1  MrFrost  replied to  Split Personality @2    4 years ago

When I heard Pence say that....I was just in shock that he could be that effing dumb, then he ordered his wife to send a tweet that said, "Mike didn't know he was supposed to wear a mask in the Mayo Clinic", which is a flat out lie because the Mayo Clinic tells ALL visitors that a mask is REQUIRED. 

Gordy327
Professor Expert
2.1.1  Gordy327  replied to  MrFrost @2.1    4 years ago

Even if one assumes that Pence didn't know he had to wear a mask, if one walks in and sees everyone else wearing a mask, and during a known pandemic no less, wouldn't common sense alone tell you that perhaps wearing a mask is a good idea? Or at the very least lead one to inquiry about wearing a mask? And this is the guy that's supposed to be leading the Covid task force? It boggles the mind.

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
2.1.2  sandy-2021492  replied to  Gordy327 @2.1.1    4 years ago
wouldn't common sense alone tell you that perhaps wearing a mask is a good idea?

One would think so.  I wouldn't go to a hospital right now unless I really needed to, because of the risk of infection.  If I did find myself in a hospital, I'd damn well wear a mask, without being asked.

Gordy327
Professor Expert
2.1.3  Gordy327  replied to  sandy-2021492 @2.1.2    4 years ago

It does make sense, right? 

Tessylo
Professor Principal
2.1.4  Tessylo  replied to  sandy-2021492 @2.1.2    4 years ago

You can't walk into any hospital without a mask and without getting your temperature taken and asked if you have any symptoms.  I'm going into work twice a week now, which is a University Hospital, and I have to have a mask on and they take my temperature and ask me if I have any symptoms.

To some it's just a 'feel good thingy ! ' 

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
3  sandy-2021492    4 years ago

I went to the health department today to pick up PPE for my office, because they're helping to supply healthcare providers for reopening.  I was asked by phone to wear a mask, or stop at the door for one to be given to me before I entered.  I had my own.  This wasn't the hospital - no patients with known Covid-19, and the employees hadn't likely been exposed to Covid-19 patients.  The waiting room was actually empty.

If I had to wear a mask in an empty health department waiting room, it's a sure bet Pence should have been wearing one in a hospital, and knew it.

MrFrost
Professor Expert
4  MrFrost    4 years ago

I love the question, "Was he wearing one when he came into the hospital?" If he was, why would he take it off INSIDE the hospital? Pence has to be one of the dumbest people on the planet. 

Split Personality
Professor Guide
4.1  Split Personality  replied to  MrFrost @4    4 years ago

Just more indefensible behavior by those who feel they are above the law

or those who feel they were "chosen" by a higher power which will protect them.

It Is ME
Masters Guide
4.1.1  It Is ME  replied to  Split Personality @4.1    4 years ago

Ooooops !

Nancy let her scarf down when speaking:

Ya see.....Facial Expressions and being able to understand words …… Is MOST IMPORTANT for a leader !

Spit does "Travel" after all. jrSmiley_9_smiley_image.gif

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
4.1.2  Trout Giggles  replied to  Split Personality @4.1    4 years ago

They can't spin this no matter how many times they put in the verbal centrifuge. They know it so they will obfuscate and blather and make no fucking sense whatsoever.

lib50
Professor Silent
4.1.3  lib50  replied to  It Is ME @4.1.1    4 years ago

So in other words, Pence doesn't wear a mask and LIES about knowing (and gets mother to lie as well), but Nancy.  Was Nancy in a hospital with a mandatory mask policy? 

It Is ME
Masters Guide
4.1.4  It Is ME  replied to  lib50 @4.1.3    4 years ago
So in other words, Pence doesn't wear a mask and LIES about knowing

He didn't "IN" the facility when speaking to people....Duh....and the article notes: The directive confirms that Pence’s staff was well aware of the need for masks, raising the possibility that none of his aides alerted him to the requirement or that Pence had intentionally flouted it

Didn't you read the article ?

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
4.1.5  sandy-2021492  replied to  It Is ME @4.1.1    4 years ago

Was this pic taken in a hospital?

It Is ME
Masters Guide
4.1.6  It Is ME  replied to  sandy-2021492 @4.1.5    4 years ago

Which Pic ?

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
4.1.7  sandy-2021492  replied to  It Is ME @4.1.6    4 years ago

My comment contains a phrase identifying the comment to which I replied, does it not?  Start from there, and see which pic you find.

It Is ME
Masters Guide
4.1.8  It Is ME  replied to  sandy-2021492 @4.1.7    4 years ago

That was your question.

Which is " This " ?

THIS:

Your questions leaves sooooo much open !

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
4.1.9  sandy-2021492  replied to  It Is ME @4.1.8    4 years ago

My question obviously refers to your comment @4.1.1  Are you having trouble finding the numbers after "replied to"?

It Is ME
Masters Guide
4.1.10  It Is ME  replied to  sandy-2021492 @4.1.9    4 years ago
My question obviously refers to your comment @4.1.1

Obviously ?

Not so obvious....apparently.

Maybe using the word "That", instead of "This", woulda been better ?

Using "This", makes one think "You" have the Pic..

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
4.1.11  sandy-2021492  replied to  It Is ME @4.1.10    4 years ago

Sorry you're having trouble following the thread, even with the tools provided.  These things can be difficult, I know.

It Is ME
Masters Guide
4.1.12  It Is ME  replied to  sandy-2021492 @4.1.11    4 years ago
Sorry you're having trouble following the thread, even with the tools provided. 

So...your "This"....actually meant "That" ? jrSmiley_97_smiley_image.gif

Great "tools" ya got there. jrSmiley_98_smiley_image.gif

maybe "Imbedding/Linking" the pick you wanted me to see....in the word "This", woulda been a "Great Tool" to use ?

Did you forget that that "Tool" is available on this site ?

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
4.1.13  sandy-2021492  replied to  It Is ME @4.1.12    4 years ago

If you choose to look at the top of any comment here that's a reply to another comment, you will see the words "replied to", and the member and comment number to which the reply is made.  It takes very little effort at interpretation on your part, and this tool has been standard for this site for quite a while now.  If you choose not to look or to pretend not to comprehend, that reflects (poorly) on you, but not on me.

pat wilson
Professor Participates
4.1.14  pat wilson  replied to  It Is ME @4.1.4    4 years ago

If he needed an aide to tell him to wear a mask in a hospital setting during a VIRAL PANDEMIC then he has to be one of the stupidest people on the planet.

pat wilson
Professor Participates
4.1.15  pat wilson  replied to  sandy-2021492 @4.1.11    4 years ago

The struggle is real, lol.

It Is ME
Masters Guide
4.1.16  It Is ME  replied to  pat wilson @4.1.14    4 years ago

Count me as "One of the Stupid" then. jrSmiley_88_smiley_image.gif

I haven't worn a mask yet (even during Influenza Pandemics). I use the 6 ft. and washing hands system. jrSmiley_97_smiley_image.gif

It actually works ! jrSmiley_13_smiley_image.gif

It Is ME
Masters Guide
4.1.17  It Is ME  replied to  sandy-2021492 @4.1.13    4 years ago
If you choose to look at the top of any comment here that's a reply to another comment, you will see the words "replied to", and the member and comment number to which the reply is made. 

Doesn't define the word "This".

Like I said...."That".... woulda made more sense.

[deleted]

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
4.1.18  sandy-2021492  replied to  It Is ME @4.1.17    4 years ago

So, according to you, you are either unable or unwilling to identify to which comment of yours my reply was made, and look at the pic (not pick) posted by you within that comment, and understand that, by referencing your comment, I meant the pic within that comment.

And somehow, you think this makes some point.

It does, I suppose, but not the point you're trying to make.

It Is ME
Masters Guide
4.1.19  It Is ME  replied to  sandy-2021492 @4.1.18    4 years ago
So, according to you, you are either unable or unwilling to identify to which comment of yours my reply was made

I made no such statement.

You're just "Assuming", "Conjecturing", and "Innuendoing" again. 

I've been very "Specific" in my responses !      

[Alright already!  Enough is enough!  Everybody please stop!  This entire derail stemmed from a misunderstanding as far as I can tell.,  Whether it was intentionally perpetuated after that is immaterial, off-topic and of no value to the discussion.  I comment here only because this was the last comment flagged on this issue, but my comments are to all.  Everyone please drop it and move on to more topical discussion.   - Freewill]

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
4.1.20  sandy-2021492  replied to  It Is ME @4.1.19    4 years ago

And I have been very specific in my answers.  You choose not to comprehend, or to pretend not to comprehend.  Either option is not flattering.

It Is ME
Masters Guide
4.1.21  It Is ME  replied to  sandy-2021492 @4.1.20    4 years ago

[deleted]

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
4.1.22  sandy-2021492  replied to  It Is ME @4.1.21    4 years ago

I directed you to the specific line in any reply, mine included, that would quickly answer your question, if you were indeed looking for answers.

That was after I supplied you with the number of your comment to which I was replying.  As that comment contained a pic, you had your answer.  You've been answered twice.  You choose to deflect from that by engaging in deliberate obtuseness.  

It's a type of trolling behavior in which some people engage when they know the answer to a question they've been asked doesn't support their weak argument.

It Is ME
Masters Guide
4.1.23  It Is ME  replied to  sandy-2021492 @4.1.22    4 years ago
That was after I supplied you with the number of your comment to which I was replying. 

[deleted]

Larry Hampton
Professor Participates
4.1.24  seeder  Larry Hampton  replied to  It Is ME @4.1.12    4 years ago

That is enough trolling this seed It Is ME.  
You’re being purposefully obtuse for the sheer purpose of derailing the conversation. 

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
4.1.25  Raven Wing  replied to  Larry Hampton @4.1.24    4 years ago

jrSmiley_81_smiley_image.gif jrSmiley_79_smiley_image.gif

Tessylo
Professor Principal
4.1.26  Tessylo  replied to  It Is ME @4.1.16    4 years ago

"I haven't worn a mask yet (even during Influenza Pandemics)." 

So obviously you don't do any grocery shopping or go into Target or Walmart?

Possibly you wear a bandanna and are doing your usual 'shuffle'?

Tessylo
Professor Principal
4.1.27  Tessylo  replied to  Larry Hampton @4.1.24    4 years ago
His usual desperate cry for attention.  

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
4.1.28  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  sandy-2021492 @4.1.13    4 years ago

jrSmiley_28_smiley_image.gif jrSmiley_13_smiley_image.gif

It Is ME
Masters Guide
4.1.29  It Is ME  replied to  Tessylo @4.1.26    4 years ago
So obviously you don't do any grocery shopping or go into Target or Walmart?

You have NO CLUE who I am....so it can't be "Obvious" to you. jrSmiley_99_smiley_image.jpg

It Is ME
Masters Guide
4.1.30  It Is ME  replied to  Larry Hampton @4.1.24    4 years ago

[deleted]

Tessylo
Professor Principal
4.1.31  Tessylo  replied to  It Is ME @4.1.29    4 years ago

I know exactly 'what' you are.  

igknorantzrulz
PhD Quiet
4.1.32  igknorantzrulz  replied to  It Is ME @4.1.30    4 years ago

Sucks for some.....so it seems !

some.....more than others !

It Is ME
Masters Guide
4.1.33  It Is ME  replied to  Tessylo @4.1.31    4 years ago
I know exactly 'what' you are.  

Do "expand" ! jrSmiley_123_smiley_image.gif

It Is ME
Masters Guide
4.1.34  It Is ME  replied to  igknorantzrulz @4.1.32    4 years ago
some.....more than others !

Are you a "Some" ?

igknorantzrulz
PhD Quiet
4.1.35  igknorantzrulz  replied to  It Is ME @4.1.34    4 years ago

i'm the sum

of many factors and variables

Tessylo
Professor Principal
4.1.36  Tessylo  replied to  It Is ME @4.1.33    4 years ago

I'm not in the mood for your nonsense.  I'm  never in the mood for your nonsense.

You should patent the ItIsMe shuffle.  

It Is ME
Masters Guide
4.1.37  It Is ME  replied to  Tessylo @4.1.36    4 years ago
I'm not in the mood for your nonsense.  I'm  never in the mood for your nonsense.

We all know that's a lie. 

Here you are...…..AGAIN ! jrSmiley_10_smiley_image.gif

It Is ME
Masters Guide
4.1.38  It Is ME  replied to  igknorantzrulz @4.1.35    4 years ago
i'm the sum of many factors and variables

a non sequitur ? jrSmiley_13_smiley_image.gif

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
4.2  Trout Giggles  replied to  MrFrost @4    4 years ago

Well, look at the seed photo image. He's not wearing a mask and it's obvious he just got off the plane. And for that matter why is that airman not wearing a mask? Lots of people at the base near where I live are wearing masks in uniform. It's a requirement.

Snuffy
Professor Participates
5  Snuffy    4 years ago

I can't believe that there is an argument much less a thread about this.

Should he have been wearing a mask?  yes, no doubt.  It's the rules for where he was at not to mention as a leader he should have been setting an example.

Now is it possible that he didn't wear one because as his wife said they are tested very frequently and he knew before he walked in that he was not a carrier of the virus?  yes, it's possible.  I am quite sure they are tested very frequently, maybe even daily.  After all if Trump comes down sick and then Pence comes down sick the next in line is Pelosi.  And NOBODY wants her in the Oval Office...  

It's also possible that he really didn't know that masks were required as nobody told him of that. Add that to the probability of him being tested very frequently and he may not have thought that he needed to wear one.

But regardless of his testing status he should have been wearing a mask.

lib50
Professor Silent
5.1  lib50  replied to  Snuffy @5    4 years ago

He did know and lied about it,   otherwise why would his office know and not tell him, the supposed leader of the pandemic response?  Every other person with him throughout the visit wore masks.  He is either stupid beyond belief or arrogant and uncaring beyond belief.  Neither of which is good. 

Tessylo
Professor Principal
5.1.1  Tessylo  replied to  lib50 @5.1    4 years ago

HE AND THIS ENTIRE ADMINISTRATION ARE IGNORANT BEYOND BELIEF AND ARROGANT AND UNCARING  ALL BEYOND BELIEF.  

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
5.2  Trout Giggles  replied to  Snuffy @5    4 years ago

Snuffy, I like you and think you're reasonable. But a few things in your comment I disagree with.

Tested frequently? Of that I have no doubt. But who's to say when he was last tested and who he came into contact with during that time. He may have been an asymptomatic carrier at the time of his hospital visit. That's what the mask is for. It's in case you are shedding the virus and you don't spread it. The mask won't keep you from getting the virus, it's only to keep those with the virus from spreading it.

And this:

But   Steve Herman,   who covers the White House for Voice of America, suggested that there was more to the story after Karen Pence’s interview.

“All of us who traveled with [Pence] were notified by the office of @VP the day before the trip that wearing of masks was required by the @MayoClinic and to prepare accordingly,” tweeted Herman , who covered the trip as part of his rotation as one of the pool reporters, who share information with other reporters in limited-space situations.

They were notified by the clinic that masks would be required. That's what this seed is about. He is threatening to ban a reporter for revealing that they had been told to wear masks. There's a tweet some where out in the internetz that the WH tried to get erased that specifically states that they were all required to wear a mask.

Now...why didn't the Mayo Clinic force him to wear a mask? I don't know. They should have, and if I had been in charge he would have put that damn mask on or I would not so politely tell him to board his plane and get his ass back to DC. People are too damn afraid to stand up to authority these days, even if it might kill them.

Snuffy
Professor Participates
5.2.1  Snuffy  replied to  Trout Giggles @5.2    4 years ago
They were notified by the clinic that masks would be required. That's what this seed is about. He is threatening to ban a reporter for revealing that they had been told to wear masks. There's a tweet some where out in the internetz that the WH tried to get erased that specifically states that they were all required to wear a mask.

The article leads me to believe its one of his staff who is threatening to ban a reporter, not Pence himself. But regardless he should have been wearing a mask.  There's really no excuse for him not to be wearing one.  Yes he could have thought as masks are mostly to protect others and he's tested so frequently that he wouldn't need one,  stupid thought but possible. It's also possible that nobody on his staff told him he would need to wear a mask.  It's also possible that as he got to the front doors that hospital staff handed him a mask and he stuffed it in his pocket.

Regardless of what happened,  he should have been wearing a mask.  If for no other reason then he is supposed to be a leader and should follow the same rules as everybody else and should not be abusing privilege.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
5.2.2  Trout Giggles  replied to  Snuffy @5.2.1    4 years ago

Thank-you, Snuffy. This is why I like you. You make your points reasonably and you don't insult. It looks like we agree on at least one thing...he should have been wearing a mask and leading by example.

Snuffy
Professor Participates
5.2.3  Snuffy  replied to  Trout Giggles @5.2.2    4 years ago

Oh shit...  someone on the left likes me.......   

OBAMA DID IT FIRST!!!
PELOSI!!!

HILLARY!!!!

LOL

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
5.2.4  Raven Wing  replied to  Snuffy @5.2.3    4 years ago

jrSmiley_10_smiley_image.gif

Tessylo
Professor Principal
5.2.5  Tessylo  replied to  Trout Giggles @5.2    4 years ago

Did you see when Redfield, new CDC Director, revise his statement with tRump waiting in the wings like the big dumb stupid ugly bully moron that he is?  About the resurgence of CO-VID 19 in the fall?

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
5.2.6  Trout Giggles  replied to  Snuffy @5.2.3    4 years ago

And you have a sense of humor. Keep on being Snuffy. :)

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
5.2.7  Trout Giggles  replied to  Tessylo @5.2.5    4 years ago

I missed that

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
5.3  sandy-2021492  replied to  Snuffy @5    4 years ago

Very smart of him to ignore the fact that he could have been risking being infected himself by not wearing a mask at the hospital, wasn't it?

Oy.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
5.3.1  Trout Giggles  replied to  sandy-2021492 @5.3    4 years ago

I don't think he and trmp listen to Dr Fauci or Dr Birx

Gordy327
Professor Expert
5.4  Gordy327  replied to  Snuffy @5    4 years ago

In addition to what you said, bear in mind Pence was appointed to  head a task force on Covid. So he more than most should know and understand the need to wear a mask, especially in a setting where he'll be around others.

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
5.5  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Snuffy @5    4 years ago
nobody told him of that

His team was notified prior to the visit.

Snuffy
Professor Participates
5.5.1  Snuffy  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @5.5    4 years ago

why don't you comment on the entire sentence rather than just a part of it?  it is possible that yes his team was told but they didn't tell "the boss".  I wasn't there and I'm confident you were not there either so all of this is just a guess on our part.  And if you read my entire comment you also will see that I did call him out, he should have been wearing a mask. 

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
5.5.2  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Snuffy @5.5.1    4 years ago

Well, if they didn't tell him then shame on them, but shame on him for his lack of common sense, especially with him being the head of the CVTF.

lady in black
Professor Quiet
6  lady in black    4 years ago

There is NO excuse for him NOT to being wearing a mask, NOT one...of course this administration can NEVER follow the rules.  And of course people will be twisting every which way to excuse it away.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
6.1  Trout Giggles  replied to  lady in black @6    4 years ago

I remember getting on my dad about something because he was doing something I wasn't allowed to do. His comment was "I'm the boss so do what I say not what I do."

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
6.1.1  sandy-2021492  replied to  Trout Giggles @6.1    4 years ago
"I'm the boss so do what I say not what I do."

The mantra of my teenage years.  Funny when we're talking about parenting.  Not so funny when we're talking about potentially spreading a dangerous disease.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
6.1.2  Trout Giggles  replied to  sandy-2021492 @6.1.1    4 years ago

Very true. This is an instant where you don't want to listen to "The Boss"

Tessylo
Professor Principal
6.1.3  Tessylo  replied to  Trout Giggles @6.1    4 years ago
"I'm the boss so do what I say not what I do."

That is so this administration's policy(ies) to a T

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
7  Trout Giggles    4 years ago