Yet another reason we absolutely must vote for Joe Biden - Palmer Report

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  jbb  •  4 years ago  •  17 comments

By:   dailynewsbin (Palmer Report)

Yet another reason we absolutely must vote for Joe Biden - Palmer Report

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

BD Holly | 6:00 pm EDT July 19, 2020

Palmer Report " Analysis

As much as most of us would rather not talk about it, it's necessary: What happens if Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg, one of the most iconic and beloved Supreme Court justices of all time, dies before inauguration day 2021? Don't plan on Trump doing anything but picking the most conservative nominee he possibly could, and don't plan on McConnell doing anything but rushing his confirmation.

The news that Justice Ginsburg again has cancer is deeply upsetting. It is hard for me to watch a true American hero go through serious health problem after serious health problem. It's also hard for me to consider what Trump would do with another Supreme Court vacancy. A 6-3 conservative supermajority in the Supreme Court populated by at least two young conservative justices would skew a minimum of one generation of decisions to the right of the political spectrum.

In President Obama's eighth year in office, Justice Antonin Scalia died. Instead of Mitch McConnell performing his constitutionally enumerated duties and holding confirmation hearings for President Obama's centrist nominee, Judge Merrick Garland, he made up a rule about it being inappropriate for a president to appoint a Supreme Court justice within a year of the next election. McConnell's entirely baseless assertion prevailed, the framers of the Constitution rolled over in their graves, and Trump got to immediately nominate Justice Neil Gorsuch to the Supreme Court.

Trump should only have had one Supreme Court nominee. But he might get three. You might be wondering if McConnell still believes the baseless rule he applied to President Obama's nomination of Judge Merrick Garland. Well, he doesn't. Of course he doesn't. Like most conservatives, he moves the goal posts as it suits him.

The Guardian article linked above makes mention of this: "The Senate majority leader, Mitch McConnell, controversially kept a seat open in the last year of Barack Obama's presidency, after the death of the conservative Antonin Scalia, arguing it had happened too close to the election. But he has said he will fill any seat vacated before the next presidential contest, in November."

This whole story is a reminder that elections matter. The party in power matters, no matter how much people (wrongly) think that both parties are the same or nearly the same. They are not. The Supreme Court is often the litmus test for a president's true ideology. If you don't want the highest court in the land spitting out one reactionary decision after another, then there's only one person who you can vote for in November.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

JBB
Professor Principal
1  seeder  JBB    4 years ago

This is why this election is so important for America!

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
1.1  XXJefferson51  replied to  JBB @1    4 years ago

The Palmer report used to be rated questionable by MBFC, did they change that rating?  Well it seems that our god did revise its judgement...

Although TPR does contain some factual content, the misleading and biased way in which it is presented earns TPR a Questionable rating. (D. Kelley 4/3/17)

Overall, we rate the Palmer Report Left Biased based on story selection and editorial positions that routinely favor the left. We also rate them Mixed for factual reporting due to several failed fact checks. (11/25/2016) Updated (D. Van Zandt 9/21/2019)

Account Deleted
Freshman Silent
1.1.1  Account Deleted  replied to  XXJefferson51 @1.1    4 years ago

Hummmm ... what part of the seed do you not believe?

1. Trump would appoint a conservative judge?

2. McConnell would push the nomination through? (He's on record saying he will.)

3. That elections matter?

4. That 6 conservative judges on the court will make rulings that tend to favor the right?

Where is the logic in pointing out that the author of the seed is liberal when all of his points are easily verifiable and obvious to all.

Now if he had said that Trump was the paid lackey of Putin and frolics with prostitutes - that's when you point out that the author is an anti-Trump liberal.

If he said that Trump had married not one but two communist wives that's when you point out that the author is an anti-Trump ... oh opps that's true...

Gsquared
Professor Principal
1.1.2  Gsquared  replied to  XXJefferson51 @1.1    4 years ago

"We.."   "We..."

You mean "I", don't you?  Or (my father's old joke) you and your tapeworm?

"We" when speaking of oneself is a traditional conceit of royalty.

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
1.1.3  Raven Wing  replied to  Gsquared @1.1.2    4 years ago
"We" when speaking of oneself is a traditional conceit of royalty.

Bingo!

Tessylo
Professor Principal
1.1.4  Tessylo  replied to  Account Deleted @1.1.1    4 years ago
"Where is the logic in pointing out that the author of the seed is liberal when all of his points are easily verifiable and obvious to all."

Because all some folks have is deflecting about the source when they don't like the answers/truth.  

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
1.1.5  Trout Giggles  replied to  Gsquared @1.1.2    4 years ago

I always wondered if he was using the royal we.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
2  Buzz of the Orient    4 years ago

It really bothers me, perhaps because of what I was, that party loyalty eclipses unbiased judgment.  You might just as well tear the blindfold off of the statues of Justice and put your finger on the scales. 

Ronin2
Professor Quiet
2.1  Ronin2  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @2    4 years ago

Despite all evidence to contrary, with Roberts bending over backwards with concern about the courts image rather than rule of law. The left screamed bloody murder when Roberts was confirmed.  Yet he saved the PPACA the first time around by calling the mandate a tax. He then violated the rule of law by siding with the liberal judges to force Trump to keep Obama's EO/EA for dreamers. 

Can you name the number of justices that were confirmed as conservative Constitutionalists and then took a hard left to being a moderate, or slightly left of center, once on the highest bench? Let me guess, it never happened.

The last thing the court needs is another far left liberal justice that will make laws up that don't exist; and that is exactly what Ginsburg, Sotomayor, and Kagan are.  

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
2.1.1  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Ronin2 @2.1    4 years ago

I guess I'm really not that familiar with the individual Justices' leanings and perhaps wrongly responded to what seemed to me to be a paranoia concening the makup of the court.

FLYNAVY1
Professor Guide
2.1.2  FLYNAVY1  replied to  Ronin2 @2.1    4 years ago

So because they are women, Kagan, Sotomayor, and Ginsburg are far left liberal justices?  Who knew.

Talking about someone of the likes of Grace Hopper or Rosa parks must render you catatonic.

zuksam
Junior Silent
2.2  zuksam  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @2    4 years ago

I also find it troubling that almost every decision is a split decision despite supposedly being based on Constitutional Law. Obviously the Constitution is not supposed to have multiple interpretations especially in the eyes of our highest court. I'm not going to blame one side or the other because I've seen both ignore the obvious to serve ideological belief. It is certainly troubling that a pick or two by the Right or Left can steer the course of this nation.