╌>

Nearly A Third Of Americans Believe Covid-19 Death Toll Conspiracy Theory

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  jbb  •  4 years ago  •  126 comments

By:   Alison Durkee (Forbes)

Nearly A Third Of Americans Believe Covid-19 Death Toll Conspiracy Theory
Health experts believe the reported death count is in fact lower than the actual number of Covid-19 deaths.

Those same third of Americans are Trump voters...

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

Even as cases of Covid-19 and hospitalizations surge across the U.S.—and public trust in what President Donald Trump says about the virus falls—a growing number of Americans are buying into a narrative pushed by conservative media and disputed by health experts that suggests the official death count from the coronavirus is inflated, an Axios/Ipsos poll released Tuesday found.

31% of Americans believe that the Covid-19 death toll is less than officially reported—up from 23% in early May. The number of Americans who believe the death toll is inflated is highest among those who get their news from Fox News (61%) and Republicans (59%), while only 9% of Democrats and 7% of those getting their news from CNN and MSNBC believe the same.

The idea that the official coronavirus death toll has been inflated has been pushed most heavily by conservative media—which argue that Democrats are inflating the number to weaponize the death count against Trump—and Axios reported in May that Trump and some of his aides also believe the theory.

A study published July 1 by Virginia Commonwealth University and Yale University researchers in the Journal of the American Medical Association found that coronavirus deaths are actually undercounted, reflecting a commonview held by public health experts and epidemiologists.

The Axios/Ipsos poll also found that respondents are losing trust in the government's coronavirus response: Trust in the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and state governments both dropped by 15% from April (to 70% and 57%, respectively), while only 35% of Americans trust the federal government and 31% trust the White House.

Respondents blame their fellow Americans for worsening the pandemic, with 74% of Americans believing their fellow citizens are "behaving in ways that are making the country's recovery from the pandemic somewhat or much worse."

Crucial Quote

"We live in highly tribal and partisan times, and people are more likely to believe cues and signals from their political leaders than the scientists or the experts," Cliff Young, president of Ipsos U.S. Public Affairs, told Axios. "People can see the world around them, they know it's different, but they still can think that the media and politicos are using it to go after Trump."

Big Number

140,157: The reported number of Covid-19 deaths in the U.S. as of July 20, as reported by the CDC.

Key Background

The growing belief that the death toll is inflated comes as Trump and his allies have attempted to discredit and attack public health experts, particularly infectious disease expert Dr. Anthony Fauci. The White House has tried to undermine Fauci after the public health expert publicly warned the current pandemic situation was worse than the Trump administration was acknowledging, and Trump was criticized for sharing a tweet suggesting the CDC was "lying." But while the Axios/Ipsos poll shows that the White House and conservative media's messaging is landing with some Americans, a majority of the country still trusts public health experts like Fauci over the president. A Quinnipiac poll released last week found that 65% of Americans trusted information about the pandemic coming from Fauci, as compared with 67% who distrust information coming from Trump. Approval for the president's response to the coronavirus pandemic has also reached an all-time low as cases have exploded, with the Quinnipiac poll finding 62% disapprove of his coronavirus response.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

JBB
Professor Principal
1  seeder  JBB    4 years ago

Yes, and the same third of Americans who vote gop...

Gsquared
Professor Principal
1.1  Gsquared  replied to  JBB @1    4 years ago

The cacaphonous minority...

Gordy327
Professor Expert
1.2  Gordy327  replied to  JBB @1    4 years ago
Yes, and the same third of Americans who vote gop.

Doesn't the same percentage of Americans (if not higher) also believe in creationism over evolution? With this level of national stupid, our country is doomed.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
1.2.1  TᵢG  replied to  Gordy327 @1.2    4 years ago

Per Gallup :

WASHINGTON, D.C. -- Forty percent of U.S. adults ascribe to a strictly creationist view of human origins, believing that God created them in their present form within roughly the past 10,000 years. However, more Americans continue to think that humans evolved over millions of years -- either with God's guidance (33%) or, increasingly, without God's involvement at all (22%).

It is amazing, is it not, that 40% of the USA (per this poll) are Young Earth Creationists.   jrSmiley_98_smiley_image.gif

22% appear to accept the science based on the evidence thus far.

33% accept the science but sneak God in there as the invisible hand (which is not such a problem IMO).

IMO, the problem is willful ignorance in both the point raised by the seed and your point.

Gordy327
Professor Expert
1.2.2  Gordy327  replied to  TᵢG @1.2.1    4 years ago
It is amazing, is it not, that 40% of the USA (per this poll) are Young Earth Creationists.

Not amazing. Just plain sad.

22% appear to accept the science based on the evidence thus far.

Also sad that so few accept science based on evidence.

33% accept the science but sneak God in there as the invisible hand (which is not such a problem IMO).

But still problematic though.

IMO, the problem is willful ignorance in both the point raised by the seed and your point.

Willful ignorance, coupled with religious indoctrination/delusion, and an apparent hostility towards science and/or critical thinking in general.

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
1.2.3  XXJefferson51  replied to  Gordy327 @1.2    4 years ago

[deleted]

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
1.2.4  XXJefferson51  replied to  TᵢG @1.2.1    4 years ago

[meta]

TᵢG
Professor Principal
1.2.5  TᵢG  replied to  XXJefferson51 @1.2.4    4 years ago

I hold no contempt for people who hold religious beliefs.  Challenging claims of certainty coming from mere acceptance of truth from a human authority is very different from holding contempt for people with religious beliefs.

Having explained this to you in particular many times, why is it that you continue to make these claims?

I do have contempt for intellectual dishonesty.

Gordy327
Professor Expert
1.2.6  Gordy327  replied to  XXJefferson51 @1.2.4    4 years ago
There’s no subject or topic out there is there that you can’t use to vent your contempt for those of us who hold to key religious beliefs.  Totally off topic to this seed though.  

And your post is totally meta and accusatory.

Off topic and sweeping generalization.  

No it isn't! And also not for you to decide.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
1.2.7  Tessylo  replied to  XXJefferson51 @1.2.3    4 years ago

Why are you and others obsessing over off topic and sweeping generalizations and Coc violations?  What's the deal?  You keep going off topic on my articles and getting rightfully deleted.

Are you and others being 'silenced' 'repressed'?

Give me a break!

Tessylo
Professor Principal
1.2.8  Tessylo  replied to  Gordy327 @1.2.6    4 years ago
"There’s no subject or topic out there is there that you can’t use to vent your contempt for those of us who hold to key religious beliefs.  Totally off topic to this seed though."  

"Andyour post is totally meta and accusatory."

"Off topic and sweeping generalization." 

"No it isn't! And also not for you to decide."

He's always posting meta and accusatory and off topic crap and he dares to question/accuse others constantly.

He kept posting off topic nonsense on my seeds and was rightfully deleted.  

Gordy327
Professor Expert
1.2.9  Gordy327  replied to  Tessylo @1.2.8    4 years ago
He's always posting meta and accusatory and off topic crap and he dares to question/accuse others constantly

I think he's trying to have me censored. jrSmiley_9_smiley_image.gif

He kept posting off topic nonsense on my seeds and was rightfully deleted.  

On mine too.

Drakkonis
Professor Guide
1.2.10  Drakkonis  replied to  TᵢG @1.2.1    4 years ago
It is amazing, is it not, that 40% of the USA (per this poll) are Young Earth Creationists

Alternatively, considering the extreme politicization of MSM, no one who isn't a fanatic of either side feel they can't trust anything any news outlet puts out. In my opinion, no politician can resist letting a disaster go to waste. Again, in my opinion, if one thinks the MSM is reporting factual statistics in this current environment, well, I guess they get what they deserve. Unfortunately, so do the rest of us.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
1.2.11  TᵢG  replied to  Drakkonis @1.2.10    4 years ago

The MSM is not to be trusted.    The question, it seems, is which source do people think is doing the conspiring?   

I am interested in those who think the medical professionals or entities such as the CDC are conspiring to inflate the numbers.   If someone thinks this is largely the result of MSM spin then my comment would be:  'it is certainly possible;  try to do your own research instead of relying upon MSM talking heads'.

Drakkonis
Professor Guide
1.2.12  Drakkonis  replied to  TᵢG @1.2.11    4 years ago
The MSM is not to be trusted.    The question, it seems, is which source do people think is doing the conspiring? 

All of them, in my opinion. Left worse than the right, but still, all of them.

it is certainly possible;  try to do your own research instead of relying upon MSM talking heads'.

Um, yeah. That really amounts to shopping around for whatever medical professional is saying what one wants to hear. 

My position is that the death rate is likely overinflated. But, that's just my opinion based on observation of political machinations. What's so frustrating is that the average person has no reliable metric by which to make an informed opinion beyond that. The real world application is that I'm afraid to spend time with my parents in person. 

TᵢG
Professor Principal
1.2.13  TᵢG  replied to  Drakkonis @1.2.12    4 years ago
All of them, in my opinion. Left worse than the right, but still, all of them.

That is not what I meant by source.   I was not asking which MSM source is doing the conspiring;  I was suggesting that the MSM is one source of 'information' but there exist other sources.   For example, does an individual think that medical professionals are conspiring to inflate the COVID-19 deaths?   Is that the operative source of the conspiracy?   Is there another source that is ostensibly behind it?

Um, yeah. That really amounts to shopping around for whatever medical professional is saying what one wants to hear. 

Only if one is lazy.   Research need not stop at the opining of an authority.   In fact, it should not stop there.   We all have the ability to dig deeper.   If an authority claims, for example, that masks should be worn then one can dig to see why.   One can find out the efficacy of masks based on past experiences with viruses.   One can research the nature of the particulate matter and how well that can be caught by a mask.   One can observe ongoing research (there are multiple sources) and come to an educated opinion.   Then, given that, one can gauge the credibility of the talking heads.

My position is that the death rate is likely overinflated.

Possibly.   What evidence leads you to that hypothesis?

But, that's just my opinion based on observation of political machinations.

I am not following.   What is the actual evidence?   Body language, changes in policy, ...?

What's so frustrating is that the average person has no reliable metric by which to make an informed opinion beyond that. The real world application is that I'm afraid to spend time with my parents in person. 

If you have no symptoms, have been careful to avoid contact with others, wear a mask, avoid contact, etc. there is likely no good reason to not spend time with your parents.   My 92 year old father-in-law lives with us.   We necessarily leave our home and interact with society.   We do so wisely, but there is no possible way to guarantee that when we return we are free of the virus.    All the precautions in the world (short of body suits and sterilization mechanisms) cannot guarantee we are clean.

What we can do, however, in addition to the precautions, is understand the infection rate in our local areas.   If we are in a hot bed of infection then it makes good sense to avoid more vulnerable people like aging parents.   If the infection rate is tiny in one's area, one makes a judgment call.  Which is worse for your parents ... never to see you or have a tiny risk that you could be the one to finally infect them?

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
1.2.14  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Gordy327 @1.2    4 years ago

That same third are probably flat earthers and anti vaxers, not all but a lot of them.

Gordy327
Professor Expert
1.2.15  Gordy327  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @1.2.14    4 years ago

I wouldn't be surprised.

Transyferous Rex
Freshman Quiet
1.2.16  Transyferous Rex  replied to  TᵢG @1.2.11    4 years ago
The MSM is not to be trusted. 

The shame is that I think you are correct in the assertion. I don't know that I believe there is a conspiracy. I have several friends in the medical field that have relayed some stories that make you scratch your head though. If true, those would suggest that the numbers are inflated. If true! The only truth I know is that I am really unable to confirm anything, whether it comes by the media or by friend. 

If someone thinks this is largely the result of MSM spin then my comment would be:  'it is certainly possible;  try to do your own research instead of relying upon MSM talking heads'.

I think I'm safe in assuming that a majority of people have no interest in doing their own research, which is why the media is so effective. For the minority that is willing...where in the world does one get reliable information from? 

TᵢG
Professor Principal
1.2.17  TᵢG  replied to  Transyferous Rex @1.2.16    4 years ago

I agree.   It is so much easier to simply accept truth from a 'trusted source' than do the hard work of researching and thinking for oneself.

And I do not think the MSM outlets engage in conspiracy ... they are simply acting per their respective natures.

FLYNAVY1
Professor Guide
1.3  FLYNAVY1  replied to  JBB @1    4 years ago

OIP.nhSkTA0EwlBRtTFByY1aTQAAAA?w=245&h=180&c=7&o=5&pid=1.7

Account Deleted
Freshman Silent
1.4  Account Deleted  replied to  JBB @1    4 years ago

Don't forget - about 25% believed that Obama was the antichrist.

10% think the moon landing was faked.

(Ok  - about the moon landing. I had just invented moonwalk punch - part vodka, part 151 rum, part gin (to deodorize the rum) and Hawaiian Punch concentrate. We were watching the landing on TV - then things got a bit blurry. I think the landing was real - if you think it was real I'll go along with it.)

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
1.4.1  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Account Deleted @1.4    4 years ago

I still think he said "A small step for a man", and that the "a" got static-blurred.  I makes so much more sense to me because when the word "man" is used in the sentence "A small step for "man"", it has the same meaning as "mankind" so why would he have been repetitive, saying "A small step for man, a giant leap for mankind" since he was the one man taking that small step? 

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
1.4.2  Ozzwald  replied to  Account Deleted @1.4    4 years ago
Don't forget - about 25% believed that Obama was the antichrist. 10% think the moon landing was faked.

Wasn't it about 30% of Republicans that felt President Obama handled the 9/11 crisis badly? 

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
1.5  XXJefferson51  replied to  JBB @1    4 years ago

deleted

Tessylo
Professor Principal
1.5.1  Tessylo  replied to  XXJefferson51 @1.5    4 years ago
removed for context

Sounds like you abused the privilege and are taking it out on everyone else.  

TᵢG
Professor Principal
1.5.2  TᵢG  replied to  Tessylo @1.5.1    4 years ago

I love that bit.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
1.5.3  Tessylo  replied to  TᵢG @1.5.2    4 years ago

One of my favorites!

"Bloody peasant"

"What a giveaway"

LOL!

Tessylo
Professor Principal
1.6  Tessylo  replied to  JBB @1    4 years ago

I'd say it's more like 20% which roughly equals tRumps' support.  

Dean Moriarty
Professor Quiet
2  Dean Moriarty    4 years ago

I would have been one to say the numbers are overinflated. Many states are having the same problem we had here where they were counting those that died with covid as those that died from covid. We know that the numbers were inflated here. 

Gordy327
Professor Expert
2.1  Gordy327  replied to  Dean Moriarty @2    4 years ago

The problem is, people with preexisting conditions like heart or lung issue have a higher chance of dying from Covid. Covid might be what pushes them over the edge. So it still contributes to the cause of death.

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
2.1.1  Greg Jones  replied to  Gordy327 @2.1    4 years ago
So it still contributes to the cause of death.

Not necessarily. What do you mean by contributes?

We do know for certain that certain political opportunists, the left wing media, and people like Fausi want to grow the numbers as a scare tactic.

Trying to cast all the blame onto Trump has led a large percentage of the population to not trust the information they receive from the media and those aforementioned politicians.

FLYNAVY1
Professor Guide
2.1.2  FLYNAVY1  replied to  Greg Jones @2.1.1    4 years ago
We do know for certain....

What have we told you about posting supporting links to be taken seriously Dean.   

Gordy327
Professor Expert
2.1.3  Gordy327  replied to  Greg Jones @2.1.1    4 years ago

I was quite clear in my post about covid contributing to a higher mortality rate in those with comorbidities. The rest of your post doesn't address anything I said and seems to be veering off topic

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
2.2  Greg Jones  replied to  Dean Moriarty @2    4 years ago

I agree. [Deleted]

FLYNAVY1
Professor Guide
2.2.1  FLYNAVY1  replied to  Greg Jones @2.2    4 years ago

And just where do you get your up to date information Dean...? Inquiring minds want to know.

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
2.2.2  Greg Jones  replied to  FLYNAVY1 @2.2.1    4 years ago

You've called me Dean twice.        jrSmiley_78_smiley_image.gif

Krishna
Professor Expert
2.2.3  Krishna  replied to  Greg Jones @2.2.2    4 years ago
You've called me Dean twice.   

Please Dean-- just chill out a bit! (And accept the fact that there will be opinions online that don't always agree with your own... C'est la vie!)

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
2.2.4  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Krishna @2.2.3    4 years ago

It really doesn't matter what you call them, they're all clones to Trumpism - admit no fault.

FLYNAVY1
Professor Guide
2.3  FLYNAVY1  replied to  Dean Moriarty @2    4 years ago

Please feel free to post the information again from a non-propaganda laced source Dean.... 

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
2.3.1  Greg Jones  replied to  FLYNAVY1 @2.3    4 years ago

I live in Denver and Fox 31 has turned as far left as the rest of them....so it would be left wing propaganda

Krishna
Professor Expert
2.3.2  Krishna  replied to  Greg Jones @2.3.1    4 years ago
I live in Denver and Fox 31 has turned as far left as the rest of them

Well I can tell you this-- "many people" are saying that Fox News has turned Socialist! jrSmiley_1_smiley_image.png

And YUGELY so!

(That I can tell you)

Krishna
Professor Expert
2.3.3  Krishna  replied to  FLYNAVY1 @2.3    4 years ago
Please feel free to post the information again from a non-propaganda laced source Dean.... 

Good idea!

What the heck-- I'm a very chill sorta guy-- so if Dean finally decides to post something from a truly objective source, I'd be willing to consider it!

(But not from Fox News, because as many people have said-- Fox News has become a Socialist, Fake News front for the worst sort of Commie Pinko agitators! )

Krishna
Professor Expert
2.3.4  Krishna  replied to  Krishna @2.3.3    4 years ago
(But not from Fox News, because as many people have said-- Fox News has become a Socialist, Fake News front for the worst sort of Commie Pinko agitators! )

Don't believe me?

Well not only Fox, but also the whole kit and kaboodle-- has now gone over to the left-- the far, far left! Not only his Fox Puppetmeisters-- but our fearless leader-- our so-called "Commander-in-Chief as well!

Here's proof beyond any doubt (reasonable or otherwise!)

And that ain't just whistling Dixie!

(So Dean-- How do you like that Hill of Beans?)

Dean Moriarty
Professor Quiet
2.3.5  Dean Moriarty  replied to  Krishna @2.3.3    4 years ago

Ok here they are. 

Tessylo
Professor Principal
2.3.6  Tessylo  replied to  Greg Jones @2.3.1    4 years ago

Yeah they've resorted to telling the truth at times, so it would be truth/reality, you know how truth/reality has a liberal bias.

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
2.3.7  Greg Jones  replied to  Krishna @2.3.2    4 years ago

I know it...that's why I quit watching local news. Marty Coniglio just got fired for comparing Trump supporters to Nazi's in a tweet.

And yes....Fox Network and its local affiliates have taken a very noticeable leftward slant in the last few months.

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
2.3.8  Ozzwald  replied to  Greg Jones @2.3.1    4 years ago
I live in Denver and Fox 31 has turned as far left as the rest of them....so it would be left wing propaganda

So, if you were driving down I-25 and every car in front of you was driving directly at you, your first and only thought would be that everyone else was driving down the wrong side of the highway???

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
2.4  XXJefferson51  replied to  Dean Moriarty @2    4 years ago

Basically too many with co morbidities primarily among the elderly who were about to die due to the primary pre existing conditions anyway that also had China virus were chalked up as a China virus casualty.  So yes in those cases there has been an inflation of the deaths caused solely or primarily by the virus

JBB
Professor Principal
2.4.1  seeder  JBB  replied to  XXJefferson51 @2.4    4 years ago

Except, the current accepted alternative name for Covid-19 is "Trump Virus"...

Tessylo
Professor Principal
2.4.2  Tessylo  replied to  JBB @2.4.1    4 years ago

Yes indeed because of his incompetent bumbling/bungling/totally ignoring and doing NOTHING it certainly is the accepted alternative. 

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
2.4.3  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  JBB @2.4.1    4 years ago

Having coined it, in order to be fair it only apples to the virus throughout the USA, because its massive proliferation and astronomical numbers are caused by Trump's negligent mismanagement, especially as compared to countries where their governments were able to keep the virus relatively contained - countries like New Zealand, Vietnam, and I believe from what I've seen with my own eyes, China. 

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
2.4.4  XXJefferson51  replied to  JBB @2.4.1    4 years ago

Kung flu....

Tessylo
Professor Principal
2.4.5  Tessylo  replied to  XXJefferson51 @2.4.4    4 years ago

[deleted]

pat wilson
Professor Participates
2.4.6  pat wilson  replied to  XXJefferson51 @2.4.4    4 years ago

Would you say that to an asian person's face ?

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
2.4.8  XXJefferson51  replied to  Tessylo @2.4.5    4 years ago

[deleted]

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
2.4.9  XXJefferson51  replied to  pat wilson @2.4.6    4 years ago

No, but I would to a White progressive calling it the trump flu with no regrets or apologies.  

bugsy
Professor Participates
2.4.10  bugsy  replied to  pat wilson @2.4.6    4 years ago
Would you say that to an asian person's face ?

Sure would...and without remorse. To many in the Asian community, it is a joke. My wife is Asian and she mentioned it to a friend the other day. They both giggled like school girls.

No one here has been "assaulted" because of a liberal fantasy that Asians are being assaulted because they are Asian and the virus started in China.

BTW, Many Americans who are not racist (not liberals) can tell the difference between asians if they really paid attention.

If you want to be one of those Americans, watch Jo Koy, a Filipino/American comedian on Netflix. He will tell you how to tell the difference. When you watch it, come back and tell us he is racist.

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
2.4.11  Greg Jones  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @2.4.3    4 years ago

The number continue to grow worldwide...even in China.

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
2.4.12  Greg Jones  replied to  pat wilson @2.4.6    4 years ago

Let's call it what it is....Wuhan flu. Is that better?

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
2.4.13  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Greg Jones @2.4.11    4 years ago

Yes, China is experiencing between 20 to 40 new cases per day, mostily imported (people coming from elsewhere). There have been no new domestic cases in Beijing for a couple of weeks.

pat wilson
Professor Participates
2.4.14  pat wilson  replied to  bugsy @2.4.10    4 years ago
BTW, Many Americans who are not racist (not liberals) can tell the difference between asians if they really paid attention.

What do they want, a Brownie button ? That has nada to do with the conversation.

pat wilson
Professor Participates
2.4.15  pat wilson  replied to  Greg Jones @2.4.12    4 years ago

I would tell you but it would likely be a CoC violation.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
2.4.16  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Greg Jones @2.4.12    4 years ago

Let's do what INTELLIGENT DECENT people do, follow the international guidelines to NOT put geographical or ethnic/racial names to a virus in order to NOT cause xenophobia endangering the safety and lives of innocent people.  After all, although it may be suspected and alleged, it has not yet been PROVEN that the virus started in Wuhan, or even China. 

For America, it is quite proper to call the virus the TRUMP VIRUS since it was his negligent mismanagement and poor example that has caused a virus proliferation to such astronomical numbers in the USA for a virus that has been pretty well curtailed by countries that followed the intelligent guidelines and precautions UNSELFISHLY, perhaps because they don't have a "me first" culture and are more concerned about the collective health and life of those around them than the "I have my rights" culture.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
2.4.17  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  pat wilson @2.4.6    4 years ago

Why even bother replying to him?  Would you discuss the theory of relativity with a 4-year old?

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
2.4.18  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  bugsy @2.4.10    4 years ago

Maybe your wife thiinks it's funny....

• The Coronavirus Crisis Is Sparking Harassment Of Asian ...

Mar 25, 2020  · The Coronavirus Crisis Is   Sparking Harassment Of Asian Americans Los Angeles   Times columnist Frank Shyong speaks with NPR's Ari Shapiro about the racism that   Asian Americans   and   Asian-owned   ...

• Asian Americans Share Experiences of Racism During COVID ...

Jun 25, 2020  ·   Haruka Sakaguchi , a Brooklyn-based photographer, photographed   Asian Americans   who   experienced harassment   and assault during the coronavirus outbreak.

• Coronavirus: Hate crimes against Asian Americans continue ...

May 20, 2020  ·   People of Asian descent   have reported being shunned, verbally abused,   name-called , coughed and spat on, even physically assaulted as the coronavirus pandemic continues to   upend American life . As ...

• Racist harassment of Asian health care workers won’t cure ...

Apr 09, 2020  · Violent hate crimes against   Asian   Americans have surged across the United States recently   due   to xenophobic perceptions that all   Asian   people are carriers of COVID-19. But some forms of   harassment   have been directed specifically at the   Asian   physicians and nurses risking their own health and safety to battle the spread of the   virus   in hospitals ...

• Coronavirus, racism: Asian Americans report fear ...

Mar 28, 2020  · In recent months,   people of Asian descent   – not just   Chinese Americans   – have been shunned, verbally abused,   named-called , coughed and spat …

• Spit On, Yelled At, Attacked: Chinese-Americans Fear for ...

Mar 23, 2020  · As bigots blame them for the coronavirus and President Trump labels it the “ Chinese virus ,” many   Chinese-Americans   say they are terrified of …

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
3  XXJefferson51    4 years ago

[meta]

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
4  Buzz of the Orient    4 years ago

Is this what so many Americans have become?

OIP.vp6W7B7Hmiylrlacbca1GQHaE8?w=237&h=180&c=7&o=5&pid=1.7

But go ahead and open the schools, cause kids can't get very sick from the Trump virus.

Florida coronavirus: A 9-year-old girl is the state's youngest Covid-19 victim

Kimmie is the fifth minor in Florida to die from Covid-19, according to the latest health records. The others were an 11-year-old boy in Miami-Dade County, an 11-year-old girl in Broward County, a 16-year-old girl in Lee County and a 17-year-old boy in Pasco County.

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
4.1  Raven Wing  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @4    4 years ago
cause kids can't get very sick from the Trump virus.

Well.....there is a slight chance they can get very sick, and might actually walk on. But, what the hey, if the parents are young enough they can always make another baby to take the place of any that don't make it. <sarc>

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
4.2  XXJefferson51  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @4    4 years ago

I’m sure China would hope that we re lock down everything so that they can take over the world while we are down...A desire shared by our own 5th column

Gordy327
Professor Expert
4.2.1  Gordy327  replied to  XXJefferson51 @4.2    4 years ago
I’m sure China would hope that we re lock down everything so that they can take over the world while we are down...A desire shared by our own 5th column

Right, because China hopes their biggest trading partner shuts down, thereby effectively crippling China too. Makes perfect sense >sarc<

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
4.3  Greg Jones  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @4    4 years ago
cause kids can't get very sick from the Trump virus.

No one has said that.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
4.3.1  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Greg Jones @4.3    4 years ago

I did. Most normal people would have realized it was SARCASM. 

Tessylo
Professor Principal
5  Tessylo    4 years ago

115943674_4638154356198374_339353773471911117_n.jpg?_nc_cat=109&_nc_sid=730e14&_nc_ohc=HC-nTRG32rYAX8EuDSx&_nc_ht=scontent-iad3-1.xx&oh=53f6c465695f4609f318e28288dec4f6&oe=5F4181AE

Gsquared
Professor Principal
5.1  Gsquared  replied to  Tessylo @5    4 years ago

Virus spreaders...

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
5.1.1  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Gsquared @5.1    4 years ago

Idiots like that is why I avoid OC.

Gsquared
Professor Principal
5.1.2  Gsquared  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @5.1.1    4 years ago

Understandable.  They are a minority in OC these days, not like it used to be..

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
5.1.3  XXJefferson51  replied to  Gsquared @5.1    4 years ago

Like the ones in the streets of all our biggest cities trying to tear and burn them down?  Or are you only a virus spreader if you meet to worship God or re elect the President?  

Gsquared
Professor Principal
5.1.4  Gsquared  replied to  XXJefferson51 @5.1.3    4 years ago

Tearing down and burning all of our big cities?  Not in the United States.  What country do you live in?  That comment is total crazy talk.  [deleted]

Tessylo
Professor Principal
5.1.5  Tessylo  replied to  Gsquared @5.1.4    4 years ago

Yeah, where the hell is that happening?

Someone has a serious persecution complex.

Gordy327
Professor Expert
5.1.6  Gordy327  replied to  XXJefferson51 @5.1.3    4 years ago
Or are you only a virus spreader if you meet to worship God or re elect the President?  

Not necessarily a virus spreader. Although, there seems to be a correlation. But I can think of other terms that are applicable to those situations.

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
5.1.7  XXJefferson51  replied to  Tessylo @5.1.5    4 years ago
67765936_10157318484027487_8467138225717116928_o.jpg?_nc_cat=1&_nc_sid=dbb9e7&_nc_ohc=aqihKe4L3aUAX9m5ZDU&_nc_ht=scontent-sjc3-1.xx&oh=2bb0438a15f58334a6034cf68fbbc233&oe=5F44E560
T1oMBrgJQCd.png
Sean Feucht
on Thursday

My statement to the NorCal press on last nights event:

‪“Government leaders voiced support for outdoor protests in recent months, they should not be condemning Christians seeking to gather in worship. Masks were made available, social distancing was encouraged, and the gathering was held outside as an extra precaution. The freedom to worship God is the constitutional right of every American citizen and those who exercise this right should not be unfairly targeted for criticism.“‬

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
5.1.8  XXJefferson51  replied to  Gordy327 @5.1.6    4 years ago

We should not stop meeting for worship or back the blue rallies outdoors until protesters stop their assemblies out side as well.  

Gordy327
Professor Expert
5.1.9  Gordy327  replied to  XXJefferson51 @5.1.8    4 years ago

That doesn't change anything I said. That sounds more like a deflection or excuse.

pat wilson
Professor Participates
5.1.10  pat wilson  replied to  Gsquared @5.1.4    4 years ago
What country do you live in?

Redding, Ca has a really high crime rate.

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
5.2  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  Tessylo @5    4 years ago

They're protected by Jebus.  It's all good.

Gordy327
Professor Expert
5.2.1  Gordy327  replied to  Jeremy Retired in NC @5.2    4 years ago

They probably actually believe that too.

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
5.2.2  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  Gordy327 @5.2.1    4 years ago

Sadly.  

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
5.2.3  XXJefferson51  replied to  Jeremy Retired in NC @5.2    4 years ago

Jebus was a city in ancient Canaan that King David captured and made it his national capital city, renaming it Jerusalem.  

Gsquared
Professor Principal
5.2.5  Gsquared  replied to  Jeremy Retired in NC @5.2    4 years ago

Jebus is also "the bow section of a Tom Pudding barge train predominantly in use on the River Humber, UK."

Thought you might like to know...

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
5.3  XXJefferson51  replied to  Tessylo @5    4 years ago

We had a park event like that here in Redding Wednesday night...about 1,000 worshippers under and on and around the Sundial Bridge in Turtle Bay Park.  

Tessylo
Professor Principal
5.3.1  Tessylo  replied to  XXJefferson51 @5.3    4 years ago

Were they wearing masks or were they all idiots?

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
5.3.2  XXJefferson51  replied to  Tessylo @5.3.1    4 years ago

Masks were provided and social distancing urged by the worship leaders but masks were few and far between and distancing was done by some but not all.  Redding is likely the epicenter of mask resistance in this state.  We had a recent uptick in cases 291 total since March out of a county population of 185,000 and no new cases Saturday.  Eight deaths all elderly with comorbidities since March none in the last three days.  Hospitals are fine here and the field hospital site and the beds are still on standby since being closed down in early May.  

Tessylo
Professor Principal
5.3.3  Tessylo  replied to  XXJefferson51 @5.3.2    4 years ago

So why the hell are they having these events?  Idiotic.  Everyone needs to stay the hell away from Redding.

Gsquared
Professor Principal
5.3.4  Gsquared  replied to  XXJefferson51 @5.3    4 years ago

You mean this event? 

City and county officials condemned a large worship gathering Wednesday evening at Redding's Sundial Bridge that they say flouted health guidelines meant to limit the spread of coronavirus...

Police Chief Bill Schueller... said he was "deeply concerned" by the event...

"It appears there was little concern for social distancing or the wearing of masks. I am disappointed that the organizers allowed it to happen and those that attended refused to follow the guidelines. That event put our community at risk," Schueller said... 

Bethel [Church] also said it knew about the gathering in advance, and while "concerns were shared with Sean," the church believed there was "a good plan" for safety. Now, the church says "the plan did not get implemented to the level it needed to be at this gathering, and that is something that should’ve been addressed more seriously."...

"We recognize that much is at stake: local businesses are struggling to stay open, schools are hoping to host our children this fall, and Public Health officials are seeking to maintain health and safety. Now more than ever, it’s important for the entire community to carefully consider decisions and actions made, as we each seek to love and respect our neighbors. We share in the concerns of risk and potential negative impact that such an event could have on the recovery and reopening of Shasta County as we navigate COVID-19," Bethel's statement reads... 

The county is now asking everyone who attended to quarantine for 14 days so that the virus doesn't start spreading around the community even more than it already has. 

Are you in quarantine for 14 days?  I take back my statement above that you need to get out more.  You need to be in quarantine.

Gordy327
Professor Expert
5.3.5  Gordy327  replied to  XXJefferson51 @5.3.2    4 years ago
 Redding is likely the epicenter of mask resistance in this state.

Being part of the problem and not the solution.

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
5.3.6  XXJefferson51  replied to  Tessylo @5.3.3    4 years ago

Please do that!  

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
5.3.7  XXJefferson51  replied to  Gsquared @5.3.4    4 years ago

I didn’t go.  I found out about it from one of our local Karen’s reporting on it live to complain.  It was not sponsored by any local church and was organized on line with provisions for masks and social distancing the locals chose not to follow.  Most of us figure if you all can loot and riot in large groups in your cities, we can sing and pray in ours.  Our local water park has been defying a lot of guidelines to just by being open but they do use social distancing and masks in lines.  The county cut their pool permit and now they are going to close a week from today.  The public attended anyway.  I of course abstained there as well.  I limit my rebellion to places like this.  The area has one of the lowest infection rates in the state so far and the state can’t enforce its mandates here on individuals without sending people from much more infected areas to risk spreading  it here in order to do so.  The county health department, board of supervisors, sheriff’s office does inform and educate regarding state rules as does the Redding city council and police.  They do what they absolutely have to to remain compliant with the Sacramento regime’ occupation.  It’s the private citizens as a whole who are the true compliance issue here.  A lot of people here share my basic ideological outlook.  We are not one of the 32 counties under the strictest standards the state has so they can’t throw those rules at us, not that we’d fully comply if they did.  While our city and county government won’t openly defy the state, a lot of individuals will under the right circumstances may choose to do that.  We all know there’s not enough jail and prison space in covid -19 addled jails and prisons to lock up many rural counties populations so while big cities populations rebel against government by riots and looting, violence, etc, ours for those here who do so is much more passive and peaceful.  

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
5.3.8  XXJefferson51  replied to  Gordy327 @5.3.5    4 years ago

Ah, the protesters and violent rioters in Portland, Seattle, other large cities not social distancing few wearing masks, chanting, etc.  they are the problem and until your side reins them in quit being hypocrites complaining about us.  Get all of yours to follow all the guidelines before demanding it of us.  Until then, we will simply mock your faux outrage and defy every mandate the protesters do. 

Gordy327
Professor Expert
5.3.9  Gordy327  replied to  XXJefferson51 @5.3.8    4 years ago
 they are the problem and until your side reins them in

My "side?" What exactly is my "side?"

the protesters and violent rioters in Portland, Seattle, other large cities not social distancing few wearing masks, chanting, etc.  

They are part of the problem too. As is ANYONE who doesn't practice wearing masks, social distancing, ect.. But to disregard such guidelines simply because someone else does is just being irresponsible and selfish!

TᵢG
Professor Principal
5.3.10  TᵢG  replied to  Gordy327 @5.3.9    4 years ago
My "side?" What exactly is my "side?"

I suspect that question is far too nuanced.

Gordy327
Professor Expert
5.3.11  Gordy327  replied to  TᵢG @5.3.10    4 years ago

Indeed.

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
6  Paula Bartholomew    4 years ago

I guess the grieving friends and family of the LEO and the fire fighter here who both died the other day can take solace in the fact that their loved ones died from a conspiracy theory and not CV 19.

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
7  sandy-2021492    4 years ago

Well, just came across a Facebook post from the mother of a girl my son used to date.  According to her, we mask wearers are all sheep, and she's praying for the Apocalypse to happen because she can't have her children growing up in such a corrupt world where people wear masks.  I mean, the horror, right?  People trying not to spread a potentially fatal disease (or, in some cases, wearing masks while they mow, which couldn't have anything to do with pollen) - I mean, how much more evil could we be?

She's in home health care.  

pat wilson
Professor Participates
7.1  pat wilson  replied to  sandy-2021492 @7    4 years ago

Your son dodged a bullet there.

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
7.1.1  sandy-2021492  replied to  pat wilson @7.1    4 years ago

I just told him the same thing.

Gordy327
Professor Expert
7.2  Gordy327  replied to  sandy-2021492 @7    4 years ago

That is both scary and sad. On the surface, this woman seems to have some serious psychological issues.

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
7.2.1  sandy-2021492  replied to  Gordy327 @7.2    4 years ago

She does, in addition to some substance abuse issues.

Like Pat said, bullet dodged.

Gordy327
Professor Expert
7.2.2  Gordy327  replied to  sandy-2021492 @7.2.1    4 years ago

The picture is becoming clearer now.

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
7.2.3  sandy-2021492  replied to  sandy-2021492 @7.2.1    4 years ago

But there were several people commenting in agreement, which I find equally scary.  This is the mindset we're up against.  There really are people out there who adamantly oppose masks on the basis of their religion.  Not sure where they find that particular Bible verse.

Gordy327
Professor Expert
7.2.4  Gordy327  replied to  sandy-2021492 @7.2.3    4 years ago
There really are people out there who adamantly oppose masks on the basis of their religion.  Not sure where they find that particular Bible verse.

That's the beauty of religion: one can "interpret" it any way they want (or just makes $#!t up) to justify doing whatever they want.  It's stupid, selfish, and inconsiderate, plain and simple!

Freefaller
Professor Quiet
7.3  Freefaller  replied to  sandy-2021492 @7    4 years ago
She's in home health care.

I'm really, really hoping she puts aside her personal beliefs and follows guidelines when performing her job

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
7.3.1  sandy-2021492  replied to  Freefaller @7.3    4 years ago

Me, too. If her clients are old and/or frail enough to need home health services, they're at risk.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
7.3.2  Tessylo  replied to  sandy-2021492 @7.3.1    4 years ago

If she's a home health care nurse and doesn't wear a mask, she won't have that job for very long.  

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
7.3.5  sandy-2021492  replied to  Tessylo @7.3.2    4 years ago

I would hope not.

When my hairdresser reopened, and I was getting my hair done, she told me about another client whose father had a home health aide.  The family noticed that she wasn't wearing a mask, and called her out.  Another client whose house she had visited the same day turned out to be positive for Covid, and she hadn't worn a mask there, either, so they had a few tense days waiting for test results.  I'm not quick to fire people, but she'd have been out on her ass for that.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
7.3.6  Tessylo  replied to  sandy-2021492 @7.3.5    4 years ago

I should say she shouldn't still have a job.  My sister is a home health nurse and it would not be acceptable for her to see her clients without a mask whatever their age.  

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
7.3.7  sandy-2021492  replied to  Tessylo @7.3.6    4 years ago

Agreed.

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
7.3.8  XXJefferson51  replied to  Tessylo @7.3.6    4 years ago

You would advocate her being fired from her job even though she wears one on the job because of an opinion she put on social media you disagree with.  That’s the cancel culture and why so many live their lives keeping their opinion to themselves out of fear... I say virtually nothing on Facebook related to politics as me compared to a place that’s comparatively an anonymous site by comparison.  I got doxxed when I was on AOL and the left there tried to contact my church, my former employer, even my political party in an attempt to create embarrassment for me and put it on that sites boards for all to see and they weren’t even suspended for that back in 2004.  

Tessylo
Professor Principal
7.3.9  Tessylo  replied to  XXJefferson51 @7.3.8    4 years ago

You appear to have a serious persecution complex.

Where did I say, as a nurse, if she was wearing a mask, she should be fired????????????????????????

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
7.3.10  sandy-2021492  replied to  XXJefferson51 @7.3.8    4 years ago
You would advocate her being fired from her job even though she wears one on the job because of an opinion she put on social media you disagree with.

Tessy said nothing of the kind.

Gordy327
Professor Expert
7.3.11  Gordy327  replied to  XXJefferson51 @7.3.8    4 years ago
You would advocate her being fired from her job even though she wears one on the job because of an opinion she put on social media you disagree with.  

Were you even paying attention to what Tess said? Or did you simply not understand?

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
7.3.12  XXJefferson51  replied to  sandy-2021492 @7.3.10    4 years ago

You both did..  clearly her profession would require it as a condition of employment.  So one what grounds then did both of you in 7.3.5-7 hope she didn’t still have a job?  My mom gets home health care at times and none who have come to her home from there arrive or work without one.  

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
7.3.13  sandy-2021492  replied to  XXJefferson51 @7.3.12    4 years ago
You both did..

Point out where either of us said we think she should be fired over her beliefs.  Quotes, please, not your erroneous interpretation.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
7.3.14  Tessylo  replied to  XXJefferson51 @7.3.12    4 years ago

Any nurse who does not wear a mask while seeing her patients should not have that job.  

Gordy327
Professor Expert
7.3.15  Gordy327  replied to  Tessylo @7.3.14    4 years ago

Indeed. Not only is not wearing a mask unprofessional,  reckless, and irresponsible (which is not limited to just health care personnel), especially during these times, but she is potentially putting her patients at risk. 

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
7.3.16  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Tessylo @7.3.2    4 years ago

She might not have any patients either as she is putting them in danger.