╌>

Trump says to 'read the manuals' when asked who told him that you can 'test too much' for COVID-19

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  tessylo  •  4 years ago  •  62 comments

By:   Sonam Sheth, Business Insider

Trump says to 'read the manuals' when asked who told him that you can 'test too much' for COVID-19

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

Politics

ssheth@businessinsider.com (Sonam Sheth)

36d8ba90-bc20-11ea-9ffd-faac76771081 July 31, 2020, 2:14 PM

• President Donald Trump said in a new interview that there's such a thing as too much testing for coronavirus.

• When asked where he got his information from, Trump told Axios reporter Jonathan Swan to "read the manuals" and "read the books."

• The president frequently alternates between praising himself for the US's expanding testing capability and claiming that testing is "overrated" and makes the country "look bad."

• He's also falsely said that the US has the world's worst coronavirus outbreak because it does more testing than any other country.

• Visit Business Insider's homepage for more stories .

President Donald Trump said in a new interview that there's such a thing as too much testing for coronavirus. When asked where he got his information from, the president said to "read the manuals" and "read the books."

"You know there are those that say you can test too much," Trump told Axios reporter Jonathan Swan in an interview set to air on Monday evening. "You do know that?"

"Who says that?" Swan asked.

"Oh, just read the manuals," the president replied. "Read the books."

"Manuals?" Swan pressed. "What manuals."

"Read the books, read the books," Trump repeated.

The president has repeatedly alternated between praising himself for the US expanding testing for coronavirus and claiming  that testing is "overrated" and makes the country "look bad.

He's also falsely claimed that the US has the worst outbreak in the world because it does more testing and contact tracing than any other country.

"Somebody please tell Congressman Clyburn, who doesn't have a clue, that the chart he put up indicating more CASES for the U.S. than Europe, is because we do MUCH MORE testing than any other country in the World," Trump tweeted on Friday morning, during a House subcommittee hearing on the spread of COVID-19.

Trump's tweet came after South Carolina Rep. Jim Clyburn, who chairs the subcommittee, displayed a chart showing the spike in new cases in the US versus new cases in Europe.

The president repeated that claim during a roundtable event for seniors last month, saying, "If we stop testing right now, we'd have very few cases."

And in May, he said during a meeting with Iowa Gov. Kim Reynolds that "if we did very little testing, we wouldn't have the most cases. So, in a way, by doing all of this testing, we make ourselves look bad."

Public-health officials and scientific experts have pointed out that while the US has rapidly expanded its testing and contact-tracing ability, that alone doesn't account for the increase in new cases.

"That states are finding more cases relative to the amount of tests they are conducting provides the strongest rebuttal to the administration's assertion that case numbers are rising because we're getting better at finding cases through increased testing," Jennifer Nuzzo, an epidemiologist at the Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health,   wrote in The Washington Post last month .

"They tell us the opposite — that each of these states needs to do even more testing to find infections — followed by more rigorous contact tracing and isolation," Nuzzo added.

As of Friday afternoon , nearly 4.5 million people in the US had been infected with COVID-19 and over 152,000 had died as a result.

Read the original article on   Business Insider

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Tessylo
Professor Principal
1  seeder  Tessylo    4 years ago

President Donald Trump said in a new interview that there's such a thing as too much testing for coronavirus. When asked where he got his information from, the president said to "read the manuals" and "read the books."

"You know there are those that say you can test too much," Trump told Axios reporter Jonathan Swan in an interview set to air on Monday evening. "You do know that?"

"Who says that?" Swan asked.

"Oh, just read the manuals," the president replied. "Read the books."

"Manuals?" Swan pressed. "What manuals."

"Read the books, read the books," Trump repeated.

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
2  Paula Bartholomew    4 years ago

Someone who does not and can not read telling someone to read...fing priceless.

Gsquared
Professor Principal
3  Gsquared    4 years ago

Trump still hasn't mastered:  "Look Jane.  See Spot run.  Run Spot Run."

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
3.1  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Gsquared @3    4 years ago

MEMO TO JANE FROM TRUMP - Nice rack Jane.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
3.1.1  Trout Giggles  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @3.1    4 years ago

jrSmiley_10_smiley_image.gif

Gsquared
Professor Principal
3.1.2  Gsquared  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @3.1    4 years ago

That is just hilarious.

Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom
Professor Guide
3.1.3  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @3.1    4 years ago
Nice rack Jane.

*extra lengthy hearty guffaw*

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
4  Greg Jones    4 years ago

He makes a good point. Why test if no symptoms are present?

Tessylo
Professor Principal
4.1  seeder  Tessylo  replied to  Greg Jones @4    4 years ago

What point?

jrSmiley_78_smiley_image.gif

Gordy327
Professor Expert
4.2  Gordy327  replied to  Greg Jones @4    4 years ago
Why test if no symptoms are present?

Are you being serious? Or have you not been paying attention for the last 5 months?

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
4.2.1  Thrawn 31  replied to  Gordy327 @4.2    4 years ago

A very good question. I am assuming Greg has never heard the word asymptomatic. 

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
4.2.2  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Gordy327 @4.2    4 years ago

Greg is the second one here I have had to suggest that they look up the medical term asymptomatic.

Dulay
Professor Expert
4.3  Dulay  replied to  Greg Jones @4    4 years ago
He makes a good point. Why test if no symptoms are present?

If Trump made that point in the seed, he must be speaking in some code only you have a decoder ring for. 

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
4.4  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Greg Jones @4    4 years ago

LOL..  Do you not know what the word "asymptomatic" means?  Did you not know that it can take two weeks for the virus to incubate and become detectable?  Did you not know that persons who are asymptomatic and persons during incubation can pass the virus to others? 

It's no wonder the numbers are so high in America.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
4.4.1  seeder  Tessylo  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @4.4    4 years ago

They're dropping like flies around the 'president'

devangelical
Professor Principal
4.4.2  devangelical  replied to  Tessylo @4.4.1    4 years ago

bummer.....................not.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
4.5  Trout Giggles  replied to  Greg Jones @4    4 years ago

If one has come into contact with some one else who has tested positive, that person is strongly encouraged to get tested even if asymptomatic (I can define that word for you, if you need me to).

Kavika
Professor Principal
5  Kavika     4 years ago

Huge crowds, actually BIGLY crowds greet Trump at Tampa Airport yesterday. /s

31430296-8581917-image-a-46_1596233172471.jpg

Tessylo
Professor Principal
5.1  seeder  Tessylo  replied to  Kavika @5    4 years ago

I bet none of them are wearing masks either.  You can see tRump doesn't or the cops behind him.  

cjcold
Professor Quiet
5.1.1  cjcold  replied to  Tessylo @5.1    4 years ago

The guy in the foreground is recording sound and standing next to a fan to make it seem like there is a bigger crowd. 

Tessylo
Professor Principal
5.1.2  seeder  Tessylo  replied to  cjcold @5.1.1    4 years ago

Wow, I hadn't noticed until you said that and wouldn't have realized what was going on.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
5.1.3  seeder  Tessylo  replied to  cjcold @5.1.1    4 years ago

Did anyone listen to the 'speech'?  It was nauseating.  

Gsquared
Professor Principal
5.2  Gsquared  replied to  Kavika @5    4 years ago

Good post Kavika.  Very telling, isn't it?  The Blue Tsunami is only 94 days away.  

Tessylo
Professor Principal
6  seeder  Tessylo    4 years ago

Did anyone catch in this interview, where the interviewer said something about 6,000 people at the Tulsa 'rally' and tRump said there were 12,000?

What an f'ing liar!!!!!!!!!!!

Gordy327
Professor Expert
6.1  Gordy327  replied to  Tessylo @6    4 years ago
What an f'ing liar!

He didn't lie. He exaggerated. jrSmiley_9_smiley_image.gif

Kavika
Professor Principal
6.1.1  Kavika   replied to  Gordy327 @6.1    4 years ago
He didn't lie. He exaggerated.

Nope, he simply misplaced the truth...jrSmiley_4_smiley_image.png

cjcold
Professor Quiet
6.1.2  cjcold  replied to  Kavika @6.1.1    4 years ago

Something like an alternative fact?

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
6.1.3  Thrawn 31  replied to  Gordy327 @6.1    4 years ago

God I HATE that excuse. And honestly, the press is the worst when it comes to giving it to him. If one of my vendors tells me they can provide product x and y price, and then I receive the actual quote and the price is 50% more do you think I am going to just say "welp, I guess they just exaggerated before."? Fuck no, I am going to get them on the phone and ask "what the hell is this?" 

It blows my mind that for some reason the fucking president of the US gets a level of forgiveness that isn't even extended to toddlers. 

SteevieGee
Professor Silent
6.1.4  SteevieGee  replied to  Gordy327 @6.1    4 years ago

Nope.  I'll call a liar a liar.

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
6.2  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Tessylo @6    4 years ago

You know he can only count to 20, if he takes off his shoes that is.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
7  seeder  Tessylo    4 years ago

115650292_1691049847725585_7806423192227413935_n.jpg?_nc_cat=107&_nc_sid=8bfeb9&_nc_ohc=chT4eY32sbsAX9jmCNS&_nc_ht=scontent-iad3-1.xx&oh=26f1c09f075fc0e847f1e856023ca4f0&oe=5F4AE8C7

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
7.1  Trout Giggles  replied to  Tessylo @7    4 years ago

This had to before all the expensive plastic surgery

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
8  Thrawn 31    4 years ago

Read the manuals? What the fuck is he talking about? Do the instructions for a COVID test say "Be careful you don't test people TOO often, because reasons and stuff"?

The only issues with extensive testing could be issues with accuracy, which is actually all the more reason to test as much as possible so that you can identify those issues if they exist. If I test myself once a day for 7 days and I get positive and negative results on alternating days, then we have a problem. The answer isn't to test myself less frequently. 

bbl-1
Professor Quiet
9  bbl-1    4 years ago

Tis a shame reporters or interviewers can not or will not question Trump in example of this latest 'manual crap' as to where they could also receive a copy of the manual or manuals.

Dulay
Professor Expert
9.1  Dulay  replied to  bbl-1 @9    4 years ago

Swan did. Then it became 'books, read the books'. Soon he'll deny he ever said it and his sycophants will defend the lie. 

bbl-1
Professor Quiet
9.1.1  bbl-1  replied to  Dulay @9.1    4 years ago

I remember that now.  The 'interview' was confusing because Trump seemed to have an agenda but couldn't connect the dots on what that agenda was.  Swan tried to keep the interview on track but Trump is trackless.  I also noticed that Trump often was looking away as if he were receiving cues or approvals.

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
9.2  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  bbl-1 @9    4 years ago

Tis a shame reporters ask important questions and Trump calls them nasty and their questions stupid.  Sometimes he just says nothing and walks away.  Some of them are getting so fed up and frustrated knowing that questions need to be asked but have given up trying knowing how Trump will act towards them.

devangelical
Professor Principal
9.2.1  devangelical  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @9.2    4 years ago

trump isn't able to answer those questions and calling members of the press names feeds his agenda and his moronic base.

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
9.2.2  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  devangelical @9.2.1    4 years ago

I would love for just one reporter to shout out after the two year old in charge walks away from a serious question "Why are you being such an asshole!!!!"

Tessylo
Professor Principal
9.2.3  seeder  Tessylo  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @9.2.2    4 years ago

Better to say, Why are you avoiding the question?

They cannot sink to that turds' level, not that they could.  

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
9.2.4  Trout Giggles  replied to  Tessylo @9.2.3    4 years ago

But it would feel good, ya know?

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
9.2.5  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Tessylo @9.2.3    4 years ago

I would settle for one simple word shouted at him....ASSHOLE!

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
9.2.6  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @9.2.5    4 years ago

Or... COWARD!

Account Deleted
Freshman Silent
10  Account Deleted    4 years ago

I think I can shed  some light (or perhaps shade) on the books Trump's medical advisors read and share with him.

I found one called Roman Republican Augury (no - really). It will set you back $100+ so perhaps you can get your hands on De Divinatione or De Natura Deorum that have  some helpful hints. I'm pretty sure the copyrights have expired on them so they should be reasonably priced.

Then of course there is the more recent  Haruspicy for Dummies - If You've Got the Guts for it.

Then all you need  is flight of vultures and maybe a couple of chickens.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
11  seeder  Tessylo    4 years ago

You all really need to check this out.  

Questions asked of tRump and the answers.

It's HILARIOUS!

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
11.1  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Tessylo @11    4 years ago

He created the oil industry?  The domestic petroleum industry began in 1859.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
12  seeder  Tessylo    4 years ago

116836596_10223068828810616_1706675867200134340_n.jpg?_nc_cat=104&_nc_sid=730e14&_nc_ohc=UbXp4unMOBMAX-nbVIT&_nc_ht=scontent-iad3-1.xx&oh=df13124675ecf0dcde43025181bdc39c&oe=5F4D7454

Tessylo
Professor Principal
13  seeder  Tessylo    4 years ago

116908694_10223560826671031_6319234214467510078_n.jpg?_nc_cat=100&_nc_sid=8bfeb9&_nc_ohc=F-vHfxPKO-UAX_DgQ8m&_nc_ht=scontent-iad3-1.xx&oh=25f55cc2a938dca9f7da93c691f1a963&oe=5F4BD3EC

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
13.1  Trout Giggles  replied to  Tessylo @13    4 years ago

I think my favorites are Quisling of Queens and Narcisyphilis

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
14  Paula Bartholomew    4 years ago

Captain Cheeto

Captain Bone Spurs

IMPOTUS

Spincter Mouth

Dinky Dick

Master Of Disaster

Moob Man

Neck Cleavage Guy

Putin's Cockholster

Trump Jong Un

Trump Stain

POTUS (Perv Of The US)

Golden Shower Boy

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
14.1  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @14    4 years ago

Short fingered Bulgarian.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
14.1.1  Trout Giggles  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @14.1    4 years ago

Chicken Shit Coward-in-Chief

I made that one up

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
14.1.2  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Trout Giggles @14.1.1    4 years ago

Works for me.

Gsquared
Professor Principal
14.2  Gsquared  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @14    4 years ago

I've been using Giant Orange Hemorrhoid in all of my correspondence.  People seem to relate to that.

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
14.2.1  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Gsquared @14.2    4 years ago

I can't believe I left my fav off of my list.....Hair Hittler.

Gsquared
Professor Principal
14.2.2  Gsquared  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @14.2.1    4 years ago

I thought it was Herr Twittler.

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
14.2.3  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Gsquared @14.2.2    4 years ago

Good one.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
16  seeder  Tessylo    4 years ago

116843235_3189504681087517_9072287133172467745_n.jpg?_nc_cat=104&_nc_sid=730e14&_nc_ohc=FhCPbK8-LIUAX_a8vjT&_nc_ht=scontent-iad3-1.xx&oh=4ab6cd31f0b45b2d7c8c40eb4e0bac91&oe=5F4D9A06

Gsquared
Professor Principal
16.1  Gsquared  replied to  Tessylo @16    4 years ago

Lock him up!