Scott Atlas and the Efficacy of Lockdowns, Social Distancing, and Closings

Category:  News & Politics

By:  freedom-warrior  •  2 weeks ago  •  33 comments

Scott Atlas and the Efficacy of Lockdowns, Social Distancing, and Closings
"The US economy has been cratered less by the Coronavirus than by the response to it- driven by the undemocratic idea that science should rule""

" There are not and never will be, scientific answers to all public problems. Politics is how we exercise our free will and that rather than reflexively deferring to 'experts', we should defer as much as possible to the principles of freedom and common sense."  George Gilder

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
smarty_function_ntUser_is_admin: user_id parameter required
[]

Freedom Warrior
1  author  Freedom Warrior    2 weeks ago

Still relying on flawed models are you?  Fear and ignorance is driving public policy.  Meanwhile we find many pols acting irrationally in contrast to science.  The sheep again are being led by the Donkey in something akin to mass suicide ala Jonestown.

Something for you while you are awaiting your comeuppance.

MAGA
1.1  MAGA  replied to  Freedom Warrior @1    2 weeks ago

Welcome back! Great seed!  It is so right on in every way. We must protect freedom from tyranny and our economy from irrational fear.  

Freedom Warrior
1.1.1  author  Freedom Warrior  replied to  MAGA @1.1    2 weeks ago

Thanks!  I've been spending a great deal of time examining a variety of topics in greater depth than our legacy media affords.

Tessylo
1.2  Tessylo  replied to  Freedom Warrior @1    2 weeks ago

So you take the word of a neuroradiologist and not an infectious disease expert?

Kavika
2  Kavika     2 weeks ago

Don't you hate those flawed models?

The virus is disappearing like magic. 

In the past two days, we've only had a few new Covid cases. Over 115,000 and 1800 deaths. 

No worries everything is just fine.

TᵢG
2.1  TᵢG  replied to  Kavika @2    2 weeks ago

Is it not fascinating how some people will ignore the most obvious facts to support a fictional reality they desire?

Confirmation bias rules with some.

Greg Jones
2.2  Greg Jones  replied to  Kavika @2    2 weeks ago

More lockdowns? What good have the present ones done?

Mandatory masks on a nationwide basis? What good are they doing?

You can't mandate individual behavior, and politicians should quit trying to do so.

We should be following the Swedish model.

https://www.inquirer.com/news/columnists/coronavirus-covid-sweden-swedish-model-herd-immunity-20200514.html

As many leading epidemiologists have argued , random scientific sample testing at a national level could reveal how many Americans in different age and ethnic groups had had the disease and recovered. Once that risk factor was confirmed, scientifically, our country could focus on protecting older people, the ill, and other groups at high risk. The rest could return, with caution, to a new normal.

TᵢG
2.2.1  TᵢG  replied to  Greg Jones @2.2    2 weeks ago

From your article:

But note that Sweden has had a higher mortality rate from the virus than its Nordic neighbors, of roughly 34 per 100,000 population. This rate is less than Spain, France, or Italy, which all went through lockdowns. Compare this to 25 per 100,000 for the United States.

I do not know about you, but there are areas in the USA where the people are clearly irresponsible.   And there are areas (I think in most cases) where people are responsible and are all wearing masks and abiding by social distancing.   The problem really is what to do when sub-cultures behave as though COVID-19 is just like the flu, will just disappear on its own, ...?   Left alone, those sub-cultures would be highly infectious.   One need only look at the recent problem with the White House to see how quickly a large group can be infected.

Freedom Warrior
2.2.2  author  Freedom Warrior  replied to  Greg Jones @2.2    2 weeks ago

Exactly The irrationality in the response needs to be examined in detail.   

Why does it seem like anymore if the government is telling you one thing they are doing exactly the opposite.

The analysis of the life years lost in the response to the Vid is staggering when compared to those from the virus itself.   Those of course will be ignored by the dimwitted simps that populate so many governing bodies here in the US and elsewhere.

Gordy327
2.2.3  Gordy327  replied to  TᵢG @2.2.1    2 weeks ago
One need only look at the recent problem with the White House to see how quickly a large group can be infected.

One only need to look at the WH to see how quickly the problem became uncontrollable to begin with.

The problem really is what to do when sub-cultures behave as though COVID-19 is just like the flu, will just disappear on its own, ...?

It also doesn't help when there is no effective leadership to instruct them how to best contain or control Covid.

Kavika
2.2.4  Kavika   replied to  TᵢG @2.2.1    2 weeks ago

Swedens GDP is worse than some of it's neighbors in Scandinavia. So they seem to have a two-edged problem.

TᵢG
2.2.5  TᵢG  replied to  Freedom Warrior @2.2.2    2 weeks ago
The irrationality in the response needs to be examined in detail. 

Are you in favor of abandoning social distancing and masks in public areas?   Are you in favor of opening up close-proximity venues such as stadiums and concert halls prior to having an established herd immunity?

Greg Jones
2.2.6  Greg Jones  replied to  TᵢG @2.2.5    2 weeks ago

The larger question is....what's the best way to achieve herd immunity.

From the article....Once that risk factor was confirmed, scientifically, our country could focus on protecting older people, the ill, and other groups at high risk. The rest could return, with caution, to a new normal.

TᵢG
2.2.7  TᵢG  replied to  Greg Jones @2.2.6    2 weeks ago
what's the best way to achieve herd immunity.

My answer is this:   develop and distribute a vaccine.

Freedom Warrior
2.2.8  author  Freedom Warrior  replied to  Greg Jones @2.2.6    2 weeks ago

After the initial lockdown had enough time to incubate and the data began to prove out we could have taken many common sense steps to deal with the Vid. 

But we did not of course.   And we still haven't and many of us are left scratching heads wondering why and attempting to explain the irrationality which appears to be underpinned by ulterior motives.

Gordy327
2.2.9  Gordy327  replied to  Greg Jones @2.2.6    2 weeks ago
The larger question is....what's the best way to achieve herd immunity.

The answer is simple: a vaccine. But until one is ready for mass distribution and use, masks and social distancing are the best options to prevent contagious spread.

Freedom Warrior
2.2.10  author  Freedom Warrior  replied to  Greg Jones @2.2.6    2 weeks ago

Speaking of herd immunity.

"Herd immunity is not a strategy, it's a fact."

[jrEmbed module="jrYouTube" youtube_id="rz_Z7Gf1aRE"]

Buzz of the Orient
2.2.11  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Gordy327 @2.2.3    2 weeks ago

Right on, Gordy.  The countries that have dealt with the virus properly before it got entirely out of hand are the ones that have pretty well contained it.  "Properly" meant immedite STRICT adherence to the guidelines.  THAT'S what worked.  Although I could not open the article video, I can assume what it said from the comments of the deniers.  Hope that you, and the other unselfish intelligent Americans who don't make it their "RIGHT" and "FREEDOM" to spread the disease to others, stay healthy.

MAGA
2.2.12  MAGA  replied to  TᵢG @2.2.7    2 weeks ago

Expect one to be announced in a couple of weeks... 

Tessylo
2.2.13  Tessylo  replied to  Freedom Warrior @2.2.10    2 weeks ago

HERD Immunity with co-vid 19 puts millions at risk.  

TᵢG
2.2.15  TᵢG  replied to  Greg Jones @2.2.14    2 weeks ago

Your link speaks of lock-downs.   My comment was about masks and social distancing:

TiG @2.2.1 ☞ I do not know about you, but there are areas in the USA where the people are clearly irresponsible.   And there are areas (I think in most cases) where people are responsible and are all wearing masks and abiding by social distancing.   The problem really is what to do when sub-cultures behave as though COVID-19 is just like the flu, will just disappear on its own, ...?   Left alone, those sub-cultures would be highly infectious.   One need only look at the recent problem with the White House to see how quickly a large group can be infected.

My point was (and is) that the notion of trusting the people to do the right thing is naive.   As noted, there are some areas where the people are responsible and others where they clearly are not.  

Lock-downs were an important measure at first as a stop-gap.   And preventing mass gatherings such as concerts, etc. is still prudent.   The key measures, as I noted, are wearing masks, social distancing, keeping surfaces clean and avoiding contact with other human beings unless necessary.

Release The Kraken
3  Release The Kraken    2 weeks ago

The Branch Covidians became what they are for political reasons.

Buzz of the Orient
4  Buzz of the Orient    2 weeks ago

I was told a few days ago by an NT member that a main reason why the national government could not dictate to the States how to deal with the virus, because America is a Republic and the State governors can make their own determinations.  Today I was reading about the West Wing TV series reunion program, and there was a quotation of one of POTUS Jed Bartlet's (Martin Sheen's) speeches that I thought responded to that opinion:

“Well first of all, let’s clear up a couple of things. Unfunded mandate is two words, not one big word. There are times when we’re fifty states and there are times when we’re one country and have national needs. And the way I know this is that Florida didn’t fight Germany in World War Two, or establish civil rights. You think states should do the governing wall to wall. That’s a perfectly valid opinion. But your state of Florida got twelve point six billion dollars in federal money last year. From Nebraskans and Virginians and New Yorkers and Alaskans with their Eskimo poetry. Twelve point six out of a state budget of fifty billion. I’m supposed to be using this time for a question so, here it is: Can we have it back please?”

Yes, America was "one country" when the whole country was threatened by a common enemy.  Well, today not only America but the whole world is fighing the same enemy, and it was a mistake for America to not fight that common enemy united rather than as a patchwork quilt.  The first line of a folksong written by Tom Paxton is "It's a lesson too late for the learning", and unfortunately it's a lesson that America did not bother to heed.

Kavika
5  Kavika     2 weeks ago

Meanwhile back in the real world the US for the fourth consecutive day topped 50,000 (54,639) new COVID cases. 

Freedom Warrior
6  author  Freedom Warrior    2 weeks ago

The government has badly misled the public on Covid. Screwed the Pooch as they say.  Now they can't reverse course without admitting how badly they F'ed Up.

Here is take on that theme very similar to my own.

[jrEmbed module="jrYouTube" youtube_id="kGBEaYEtiys"]

Freedom Warrior
6.1  author  Freedom Warrior  replied to  Freedom Warrior @6    2 weeks ago

Some related comments.

"This covid plandemic is greatest scam in the history of humanity."

"People are starting to realize COVID is an excuse being used to launch a Marxist authoritarian revolution throughout western civilization. It is an intentional contrivance. Wake up, people. They cannot get what they want, unless you believe their lies."

"This is the worst act of global terrorism in human history. I have family that are terrified to leave their homes. There are people responsible for this and need be held accountable."

“Politicians CANNOT eliminate a virus”. SO true!"

"Governments first duty is to protect the people, not run their lives." Ronald Reagan

Kavika
6.1.1  Kavika   replied to  Freedom Warrior @6.1    2 weeks ago

Do you have any idea who Alan Jones is? It's evident from your post you don't. He's a shock jock that has a long history of racism among other things. Here is a link to his long sad history. Pay special attention to the racism and Christian hypocrisy parts of the article.

https://www.monsterchildren.com/a-timeline-of-alan-jones-bigotry/

BTW you should research Australia's response to the virus to include the number of cases and deaths compared to our screwed-up response.

TᵢG
6.1.2  TᵢG  replied to  Freedom Warrior @6.1    2 weeks ago
"This covid plandemic is greatest scam in the history of humanity."

You believe this?  jrSmiley_115_smiley_image.png

"People are starting to realize COVID is an excuse being used to launch a Marxist authoritarian revolution throughout western civilization. It is an intentional contrivance. Wake up, people. They cannot get what they want, unless you believe their lies."

You believe this??  jrSmiley_115_smiley_image.png

"This is the worst act of global terrorism in human history. I have family that are terrified to leave their homes. There are people responsible for this and need be held accountable."

Do you have evidence that this was intentional?

Freedom Warrior
6.2  author  Freedom Warrior  replied to  Freedom Warrior @6    2 weeks ago

That latest lunacy in CA surrounding the Vid response is the absolute fucking insanity of establishing "Equity: metrics as a basis for reopening the economy.  WTF you say? 

If you don't then just stay the fuck away from me [deleted]

Kavika
6.2.1  Kavika   replied to  Freedom Warrior @6.2    2 weeks ago
removed for context.

[deleted]

Freedom Warrior
7.1  author  Freedom Warrior  replied to  Greg Jones @7    2 weeks ago

Some snippets.

His message is timely. In a world first, a number of health experts from all over the world came together calling for an end to coronavirus lockdowns earlier this week.

They created a petition, called the Great Barrington Declaration, which said that lockdowns were doing “irreparable damage.”

“As infectious disease epidemiologists and public health scientists, we have grave concerns about the damaging physical and mental health impacts of the prevailing COVID-19 policies, and recommend an approach we call Focused Protection,” read the petition.

“Current lockdown policies are producing devastating effects on short and long-term public health.”

The petition has had 12,000 signatures so far.

It was authored by Sunetra Gupta of the University of Oxford, Jay Bhattacharya of Stanford University, and Martin Kulldorff of Harvard University.

When asked about the petition, Dr Nabarro had only good things to say. “Really important point by Professor Gupta,” he said.

https://www.news.com.au/world/coronavirus/global/coronavirus-who-backflips-on-virus-stance-by-condemning-lockdowns/news-story/f2188f2aebff1b7b291b297731c3da74