╌>

Anthony Fauci: Trump suggests he might fire infectious disease expert after election

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  sister-mary-agnes-ample-bottom  •  4 years ago  •  73 comments

By:   Kevin Liptak (MSN)

Anthony Fauci: Trump suggests he might fire infectious disease expert after election
President Donald Trump suggested to a Florida crowd he may fire Dr. Anthony Fauci after the election, escalating his feud with the nation's leading expert on infectious diseases and providing a window into a potential post-November 3 administration purge.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

President Donald Trump suggested to a Florida crowd he may fire Dr. Anthony Fauci after the election, escalating his feud with the nation's leading expert on infectious diseases and providing a window into a potential post-November 3 administration purge.

Speaking after midnight following a full day of campaigning, the President was complaining about news media coverage of Covid-19 when the crowd broke out into a "Fire Fauci" chant.

"Don't tell anybody, but let me wait until a little bit after the election," Trump said to cheers. "I appreciate the advice."

Later, Trump claimed Fauci is "a nice guy but he's been wrong a lot." Trump has previously claimed Fauci opposed mask wearing earlier in the pandemic, though at the time the administration was concerned about supply levels of medical grade equipment.

Most of the crowd in Florida was not wearing masks; Trump has proceeded with rallies in states with rampant coronavirus outbreaks, believing his message of reopening will resonate with voters.

Trump's handling of the coronavirus outbreak remains the backdrop of this year's election. At another point on Sunday, Trump lambasted his rival Joe Biden by claiming he wanted to "follow science."

Trump's comments about Fauci came a day after the White House unleashed on the doctor, who is the director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases.

Responding to comments Fauci made to The Washington Post that criticized the Trump administration's response to the pandemic and said the US "could not possibly be positioned more poorly," a White House spokesman accused Fauci of "playing politics" ahead of the election.

Deputy press secretary Judd Deere said Fauci had decided to "make his political leanings known," though acknowledged he "has a duty to express concerns or push for a change in strategy."

As of early Monday morning, more than 9.2 million people across the US have contracted coronavirus, and more than 230,000 people have died.

While Trump and Fauci put forward a show of cooperation earlier in the pandemic, their relationship has deteriorated significantly. Fauci has said he no longer briefs the President and has been replaced by Dr. Scott Atlas, whom the President has relied on for advice on handling the coronavirus.

Other members of the White House coronavirus task force have also complained that Atlas is providing the President information that is not scientifically sound and cutting out experts with differing views.

In public polls, Americans have said they trust Fauci more than Trump to provide reliable information about the pandemic.

Trump's suggestion he may soon fire Fauci comes amid other looming administration staffing decisions. Trump has made clear he is displeased with his FBI director, attorney general and other heads of health agencies who he believes have worked against him amid the pandemic.

Trump has held off on any major Cabinet shakeups in the leadup to the election, hoping to avoid negative headlines about administration chaos before votes are cast. But how he acts after the election remains an open question; aides said they expected significant changes should Trump win reelection.

While the President recently signed an executive order that would make it easier for career federal employees to be dismissed from their jobs, it's unclear whether the new measure would include Fauci.

Under federal law, Trump doesn't have the power to directly fire Fauci, a career civil servant, and remove him from government. He could try ordering his political appointees to dismiss him, but it would be a time-consuming process that Fauci could appeal.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom
Professor Guide
1  seeder  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom    4 years ago

Speaking after midnight following a full day of campaigning, the President was complaining about news media coverage of Covid-19 when the crowd broke out into a "Fire Fauci" chant.

"Don't tell anybody, but let me wait until a little bit after the election," Trump said to cheers. 

What a POS.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.1  Texan1211  replied to  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom @1    4 years ago

[deleted]

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.2  Texan1211  replied to  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom @1    4 years ago
"Don't tell anybody, but let me wait until a little bit after the election," Trump said to cheers. 

Not the first President who has promised or suggested he might do something after an election.

Do you consider all who do such things to be POS?

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
2  Trout Giggles    4 years ago

Fauci didn't recommend mask wearing right away because he was afraid of shortages for medical staff who would need them for patient care. Once production stepped up, he recommended masks.

He said that in his 60 minute interview which Sister posted right here on NT (I think it was Sister).

People are so fucking dumb.

evilone
Professor Guide
2.1  evilone  replied to  Trout Giggles @2    4 years ago

On purpose.

Gordy327
Professor Expert
2.2  Gordy327  replied to  Trout Giggles @2    4 years ago

Your last sentence sums it up perfectly. It's also probably a big reason why we can't get Covid under control.

Professor Guide
2.3  seeder  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom  replied to  Trout Giggles @2    4 years ago

As he has said himself a hundred (or more) times, he LOVES the uneducated.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.3.1  Texan1211  replied to  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom @2.3    4 years ago

Do Democrats not love people who are poorly educated?

Do Democrats not love many of who constitutes their party base?

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
2.3.2  Sean Treacy  replied to  Texan1211 @2.3.1    4 years ago
Do Democrats not love many of who constitutes their party base?

Yeah.. Somehow I doubt Democrats are showing up in the wards they win with 95% of the vote and making fun of uneducated people.  

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.3.3  Texan1211  replied to  Sean Treacy @2.3.2    4 years ago

JUST a tad hypocritical of Democrats, isn't it?

LMAO!

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
2.3.4  JohnRussell  replied to  Sean Treacy @2.3.2    4 years ago

What is the point of chanting "Fire Fauci" in a tone that suggests a Nuremberg rally ?  

Is that really how you believe Republicans should be representing themselves? 

Professor Guide
2.3.5  seeder  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom  replied to  Texan1211 @2.3.1    4 years ago
Do Democrats not love people who are poorly educated? Do Democrats not love many of who constitutes their party base?

I can only tell you my personal feelings.  My love of people is not separated by racial, political or educational lines.  There is one area, however, where I must admit failure.  I find it difficult to tolerate others who wear their hate every minute of every day.  I know it is something that needs attention, because I have difficulty even admitting such a failure.  I am determined to find a way to turn my failure into a win, but probably not until November 4th.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.3.6  Texan1211  replied to  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom @2.3.5    4 years ago

Then what  is the actual POINT of bringing up what Trump said 4 years ago time and time again, as Democrats are wont to do?

WHAT IS THE POINT OF REPEATING IT UNLESS IT IS TO DIFFERENTIATE BETWEEN TRUMP AND OTHERS?

If Democrats loved the poorly educated then it would be (and IS) senseless to keep harping on it.

Professor Guide
2.3.7  seeder  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom  replied to  Texan1211 @2.3.6    4 years ago

Are you saying that Trump loved the uneducated then, but he doesn't love them now?  Perhaps 'love' isn't the right word to use on election eve.  This time around, it might be more accurate to say that he is depending upon them.  

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.3.9  Texan1211  replied to  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom @2.3.7    4 years ago
Are you saying that Trump loved the uneducated then, but he doesn't love them now?

Anyone who read my post would not bother asking that.

Did you actually read that in my post? Care to quote it?

Perhaps 'love' isn't the right word to use on election eve.  This time around, it might be more accurate to say that he is depending upon them.  

But that is the word you chose to use. 

Once again, what was the point of bringing that quote up if Democrats feel the same way?

Dulay
Professor Expert
2.3.10  Dulay  replied to  Texan1211 @2.3.1    4 years ago
Do Democrats not love people who are poorly educated? Do Democrats not love many of who constitutes their party base?

Yes, and unlike the GOP and Trump, they love them enough to try and educate them. 

igknorantzrulz
PhD Quiet
2.3.11  igknorantzrulz  replied to  Texan1211 @2.3.9    4 years ago
re you saying that Trump loved the uneducated then, but he doesn't love them now?

she's sayin he USED the uneducated then, and again and again, and will use them till their usefulness does reach an end. Whence ignorance rulz over enuff fools, we all LOSE

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.3.12  Texan1211  replied to  Dulay @2.3.10    4 years ago

If yes, then it is odd to keep quoting Trump as though he said something wrong, and if Democrats love them, why quote Trump and not INE of their own saying it?

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.3.13  Texan1211  replied to  igknorantzrulz @2.3.11    4 years ago

look, I get that your superpowers enable you to read all sorts if stuff never written, but the rest of us mere mortals must rely on real words as written.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.3.14  Texan1211  replied to  Dulay @2.3.10    4 years ago
Yes, and unlike the GOP and Trump, they love them enough to try and educate them. 

You may be able to convince some sycophants of that crap, but surely intelligent people won't swallow THAT swill.

Dulay
Professor Expert
2.3.15  Dulay  replied to  Texan1211 @2.3.12    4 years ago
If yes, then it is odd to keep quoting Trump as though he said something wrong, and if Democrats love them, why quote Trump and not INE of their own saying it?

Perhaps you may want to review the concept of context. 

igknorantzrulz
PhD Quiet
2.3.16  igknorantzrulz  replied to  Dulay @2.3.15    4 years ago
the concept of context.

too much information confuses Tex and Trump supporters in general

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
2.3.17  Trout Giggles  replied to    4 years ago

You do realize trmp said he loved the poorly educated back in 2016, don't you?

Dulay
Professor Expert
2.3.18  Dulay  replied to  Texan1211 @2.3.14    4 years ago
You may be able to convince some sycophants of that crap, but surely intelligent people won't swallow THAT swill.

Intelligent people know that neither Trump or the GOP have any desire to educate their constituents. They much prefer gaslighting them. 

Sycophants reject education. 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.3.19  Texan1211  replied to  Dulay @2.3.18    4 years ago
Intelligent people know that neither Trump or the GOP have any desire to educate their constituents. They much prefer gaslighting them.  Sycophants reject education. 

Nice to see some working so hard to keep on proving Reagan right after all these years.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.3.20  Texan1211  replied to  igknorantzrulz @2.3.16    4 years ago

Don't be ridiculous.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.3.21  Texan1211  replied to  Dulay @2.3.15    4 years ago

You may wish to quit proving Reagan right with your posts.

Dulay
Professor Expert
2.3.22  Dulay  replied to  Texan1211 @2.3.21    4 years ago
You may wish to quit proving Reagan right with your posts.

Argle-bargle. 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.3.23  Texan1211  replied to  Dulay @2.3.22    4 years ago

Oh, do you need an explanation?

Dulay
Professor Expert
2.3.24  Dulay  replied to  Texan1211 @2.3.23    4 years ago

No, I have no interest in unhinged fantasies. 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.3.27  Texan1211  replied to  Dulay @2.3.24    4 years ago

right.

lol

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
2.3.28  Trout Giggles  replied to    4 years ago

That's what he said and I will go find video if I have to to prove it. As far as being flippant? I guess he's never serious and always flippant about everything he says.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
2.3.30  Trout Giggles  replied to    4 years ago

I found it and linked it. If you still don't give a shit, then all I can do is hope somebody prays for you

Ender
Professor Principal
3  Ender    4 years ago

Of course he would. From what I hear, he already has a hit list.

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
4  Paula Bartholomew    4 years ago

He can fire him, but he will never silence Dr F.  Frankly, I would rather have him away from Trump, presenting facts over fiction without being silenced and pigeon holed by Trump and his attack dogs.

Professor Guide
4.1  seeder  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @4    4 years ago
He can fire him, but he will never silence Dr F. 

Lucky for us, Trump can't fire him directly.  He'll need to go through channels, starting with NIH Director Francis S. Collins, M.D., Ph.D.  But I doubt anyone at the NIH would want to silence and/or fire the Director of NIAID, the Chief of Laboratory of Immunoregulation, and the Chief of the Immunopathogenesis Section of the NIH.

His qualifications are truly amazing.  

Source

Kavika
Professor Principal
5  Kavika     4 years ago

The world-renown epidemiologist, Dr. Scott Atlas will be a great replacement. His vast knowledge of the virus will help the US continue its record-breaking cases and deaths. 

USA, USA we're number one in the world once again. 

Just in case anyone is confused by my comment its SARCASM.

Gordy327
Professor Expert
5.1  Gordy327  replied to  Kavika @5    4 years ago

Kav, I know you're being sarcastic. But I don't think you would be wrong either. Dr. Atlas was selected by Trump as part of the Covid Task force and putting a neuroradiologist in place instead of a virologist would be something Trump would do.

Kavika
Professor Principal
5.1.1  Kavika   replied to  Gordy327 @5.1    4 years ago
Dr. Atlas was selected by Trump as part of the Covid Task force and putting a neuroradiologist in place instead of a virologist would be something Trump would do.

Without a doubt, Gordy. In fact, he is now the de facto expert in the WH.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
5.1.2  Trout Giggles  replied to  Gordy327 @5.1    4 years ago

Yeah, because to trmp one doctor is the same as any other doctor

Gordy327
Professor Expert
5.1.3  Gordy327  replied to  Kavika @5.1.1    4 years ago

Maybe Trump will make Pence the "expert?" >sarc <

Professor Guide
5.1.4  seeder  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom  replied to  Kavika @5.1.1    4 years ago
Without a doubt, Gordy. In fact, he is now the de facto expert in the WH.

To see Atlas recently stumping for the Russian propaganda was nauseating, to say the least.

Nerm_L
Professor Expert
6  Nerm_L    4 years ago

Well, we are going to have to learn to live with the SARS-CoV-2 virus sooner or later.  Because the virus is here to stay.  The gods of science have told us that infection doesn't establish immunity so a vaccine won't be a miracle.  The gods of science have told us that masks and social distancing are only partially effective.  The gods of science have told us that the latest surge is being driven by infections transmitted in households.

At this point, experts like Dr. Anthony Fauci are holding the country back.  Waiting for miracles won't accomplish much because the gods of science have told us not to expect miracles.  If we are to believe the science then that science is telling us this is the new normal.

Trump may be an ass but Dr. Fauci has been deliberately lying to the American people.

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
6.1  Ozzwald  replied to  Nerm_L @6    4 years ago
Trump may be an ass but Dr. Fauci has been deliberately lying to the American people.

And nothing in your comment justifies this claim about Fauci.

Nerm_L
Professor Expert
6.1.1  Nerm_L  replied to  Ozzwald @6.1    4 years ago
And nothing in your comment justifies this claim about Fauci.

Dr. Fauci has not been doing anything to prepare the United States for living with the SARS-CoV-2 virus.  What has been happening in Europe really does tell us that the pandemic cannot be controlled.

The United States has been following the playbook for an influenza pandemic.  But the SARS-CoV-2 virus has shown itself to not be seasonal as with influenza.  And COVID doesn't seem controllable by therapeutics as is influenza. 

We need to be putting more effort into learning how to live with the SARS-CoV-2 virus than waiting for miracles.  The virus is going to be with us for a very long time. 

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
6.1.2  Ozzwald  replied to  Nerm_L @6.1.1    4 years ago
Dr. Fauci has not been doing anything to prepare the United States for living with the SARS-CoV-2 virus.

Dr. Fauci has no power to do that, he is an advisor, nothing more.

What has been happening in Europe really does tell us that the pandemic cannot be controlled.

Wrong again, it was under control in many countries, and this 2nd wave was predicted months ago.

The United States has been following the playbook for an influenza pandemic.

This is not the flu.  Where is national recommended procedures for contact tracing?  Testing?  Procedures for reopening businesses?  Reopening schools?  Just exactly what has the federal government done, during this national emergence, other than restricting some travel from China?

And COVID doesn't seem controllable by therapeutics as is influenza. 

Just like the WHO and CDC and Fauci have told us.  But has fallen on deaf ears with our federal government.

We need to be putting more effort into learning how to live with the SARS-CoV-2 virus than waiting for miracles.

All Trump is doing is putting more effort into learning how to die with the SARS-CoV-2 virus.  Whitehouse has already admitted they've given up fighting COVID, and because of that we are looking at hitting 400,000 American deaths by next year.

The virus is going to be with us for a very long time. 

Because the current administration has given up on it.  However, as of 1/20/2021, the next landlord will start eviction proceedings on it.

BTW, AFTER ALL THIS DEFLECTION YOU HAVE FAILED TO EXPLAIN FAUCI'S LIES THAT YOU CLAIMED...

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
6.1.3  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Ozzwald @6.1    4 years ago

Don't you love when Trumpers accuse others of lying, but not Trump.

Nerm_L
Professor Expert
6.1.4  Nerm_L  replied to  Ozzwald @6.1.2    4 years ago
Because the current administration has given up on it.  However, as of 1/20/2021, the next landlord will start eviction proceedings on it.

How?

BTW, AFTER ALL THIS DEFLECTION YOU HAVE FAILED TO EXPLAIN FAUCI'S LIES THAT YOU CLAIMED...

If Trump lied, so did Fauci - Washington Post

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
6.1.5  Ozzwald  replied to  Nerm_L @6.1.4    4 years ago
How?

White House chief of staff: 'We are not going to control the pandemic'

If Trump lied, so did Fauci - Washington Post

It is an opinion piece , I'm asking for facts, not someone's opinion.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
6.2  Trout Giggles  replied to  Nerm_L @6    4 years ago

oh shut up, Nerm

Nerm_L
Professor Expert
6.2.1  Nerm_L  replied to  Trout Giggles @6.2    4 years ago
oh shut up, Nerm

Thank you China.

Professor Guide
6.2.2  seeder  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom  replied to  Trout Giggles @6.2    4 years ago
oh shut up, Nerm

Yeah, shut up, Nerm.  And feel free to call me China Jr.

Split Personality
Professor Guide
6.3  Split Personality  replied to  Nerm_L @6    4 years ago

Sure, Fauci is holding you back? /s

Gods of science /s

Why is Canada doing so much better except for the border between PA & NY?

Nerm_L
Professor Expert
6.3.1  Nerm_L  replied to  Split Personality @6.3    4 years ago
Why is Canada doing so much better except for the border between PA & NY?

Canada is experiencing a surge, too.  And I thought New York claimed to have brought the pandemic under control.

Coronavirus Canada - Bing

Split Personality
Professor Guide
6.3.2  Split Personality  replied to  Nerm_L @6.3.1    4 years ago

2,800 Canadian  cases a day compared to our 83,000 a day average with spikes above 91,000?

Most of the cases are along the Great Lakes which makes sense.

Dulay
Professor Expert
6.4  Dulay  replied to  Nerm_L @6    4 years ago
The gods of science have told us that the latest surge is being driven by infections transmitted in households.

False. Large gatherings at Churches, weddings, funerals, parties, colleges and rallies have driven infections. 

It is a proven FACT that Trump has lied about Covid from the first and continues to do so to this day. Just stop. 

Nerm_L
Professor Expert
6.4.1  Nerm_L  replied to  Dulay @6.4    4 years ago
False. Large gatherings at Churches, weddings, funerals, parties, colleges and rallies have driven infections. 

But certainly not by protests. 

It is a proven FACT that Trump has lied about Covid from the first and continues to do so to this day. Just stop. 

Dr. Fauci has also advised the need to reopen schools and the economy.  Dr. Fauci has been blaming restaurants and bars. 

But the rest of the story hasn't been addressed by Dr. Fauci:

Stop Inviting People Over, Top Doc Says, As Gatherings Of Friends, Families Linked To Coronavirus Surge

Household spread of Covid-19 is common and quick, a new CDC study finds

Dulay
Professor Expert
6.4.2  Dulay  replied to  Nerm_L @6.4.1    4 years ago
But certainly not by protests. 

The 'gods of science' have told us that tracing proves that protests have NOT driven infections. 

Dr. Fauci has also advised the need to reopen schools and the economy. 

Just like Trump, you conveniently omit the SAFELY part of the message. 

Dr. Fauci has been blaming restaurants and bars. 

Again, the 'gods of science' document that fact. 

But the rest of the story hasn't been addressed by Dr. Fauci:

What evidence do you have the Fauci hasn't addressed household contagion? 

BTFW, neither of your links prove your claim that 'the latest surge is being driven by infections transmitted in households.' All they prove is that household transmission is likely. 

Prisons, meat processors, churches, nightclubs and bars are what has driven the 'largest surges' in the US. When a meat processor goes home and infects someone in their household, THAT infection was still 'driven' by the processing plant. 

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
6.4.3  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  Dulay @6.4.2    4 years ago

Dulay
Professor Expert
6.4.4  Dulay  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @6.4.3    4 years ago

Point? 

Gordy327
Professor Expert
6.4.5  Gordy327  replied to  Dulay @6.4.2    4 years ago

Praise the gods jrSmiley_9_smiley_image.gif

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
6.4.6  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  Dulay @6.4.4    4 years ago

NOT super spreaders.............15 - 23,000 people in attendance. 2 cases unrelated to the rally. Spread the word.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
6.4.7  Texan1211  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @6.4.6    4 years ago

Apparently, your point was sorely missed by some.

Dulay
Professor Expert
6.4.8  Dulay  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @6.4.6    4 years ago

Seriously Jim, ONE rally means NOTHING. 

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
6.4.9  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  Dulay @6.4.8    4 years ago

Knew that would be the response. Out of at least three, these are the only known cases AT a Trump  rally. Look it up. NC rallies don't depict a super spreader at least three of the larger ones. That claim is, BTFW (LOL) bogus. 

Dulay
Professor Expert
6.4.10  Dulay  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @6.4.9    4 years ago
Knew that would be the response. Out of at least three, these are the only known cases AT a Trump  rally. Look it up. NC rallies don't depict a super spreader at least three of the larger ones. That claim is, BTFW (LOL) bogus. 

Seriously, get educated. It could take weeks to trace the fallout from Trump's rallies Jim. 

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
6.4.11  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  Dulay @6.4.10    4 years ago

It's been weeks for  a couple of them. Seriously. Puhlease. Take your pompous assed comments to someone who may heed their message. Thanks

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
6.4.12  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @6.4.11    4 years ago

OK, everyone... I am going to cut you all a break since I know tensions are running high, but please stop with the personal comments. 

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
7  Hal A. Lujah    4 years ago

Did you hear the crowd at his rally forcefully chanting “FIRE FAUCI!!”?  You could practically see the virus being flung onto these morons from all directions.  The veracity quite literally reminded me of the “JEWS WILL NOT REPLACE US!!” chant by Trump’s fine people in Charlottesville.