╌>

South Dakota nurse talks about dying patients who still believe COVID-19 is a hoax

Category:  Op/Ed

Via:  john-russell  •  4 years ago  •  98 comments

By:   Daily Kos

South Dakota nurse talks about dying patients who still believe COVID-19 is a hoax
One of the greatest— and arguably the most criminal—aspects of Trump and his political party's stance on the global pandemic has been the anti-science baseline of misinformation. A pandemic is like math. It honestly doesn't care about your...

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

One of the greatest— and arguably the most criminal—aspects of Trump and his political party’s stance on the global pandemic has been the anti-science baseline of misinformation. A pandemic is like math. It honestly doesn’t care about your political beliefs or your feelings. Viruses do what they do and the only way to protect oneself and one’s community is to try and practice the best scientifically supported public health practices until vaccines and control over the spread of the virus takes place. That’s it. You don’t have to agree with a virus about tax breaks and you don’t even have to care if a virus has a position on a woman’s right to choose what she does with her body. In fact, if a virus secretly tells you that it believes in an evangelical Christian god, that doesn’t change anything about how to best protect yourself.

On Saturday, South Dakota nurse Jodi Doering had a night off and decided to tweet about what she was seeing as her state. Doering’s   tweets   were about COVID-19 patients who are literally dying from contracting the virus but still do not believe that the virus is real, or that they have it. She explained how sad and frustrating it was to watch people in such angry denial, furious that this hoax was being perpetrated on them, only to “ stop yelling at you when they get intubated. It’s like a fucking horror movie that never ends.” On Monday, Doering was on CNN to talk about her experience. It was tragic and eye-opening.

In the interview, Doering explained that she really hadn’t expected her tweets to go viral like this and was not blaming the victims of this virus or making a political statement. She was just reporting on some of what she was seeing. She explained she just became so sad thinking about the many patients she has seen who are in such denial and so angry that they are missing out on what is in many cases their final chances to speak with their families before passing away. And because Doering is an adult and a professional, she held CNN’s Alisyn Camerota’s hand to explain to her that she didn’t take the anger of her patients personally.   “I think it's just a belief that it's not real and nursing happens to be on the receiving end of that. And that's okay. That's where we're there for. It's just, in the bigger picture, when you try to reason with people,  can I call your family, your kids, your wife, your friend, your brother?  And they say,  no, because I'm going to be fine ,” it really hits hard.

She said that since they first started seeing cases of COVID-19 in March, while they have gotten better at treating and alleviating some of the cases, they cannot defeat the surges in the virus and the political bullshit that comes with fighting against basic public health protections like social distancing and wearing masks. Asked about Gov. Kristi Noem’s insistence in pretending that people should not wear masks if it makes them happier to do so, Doering explained that this wasn’t political: “I think it's frustrating as a health care provider, because the last thing that we ask anyone when they seek care is how they voted or if they're a Democrat or a Republican. The last thing we ever think about is that. What we think about is how can I help you?”

South Dakota is under one of the most worthless governors in the history of the planet. Republican Noem’s inability to show real leadership and mitigate the   Sturgis Motorcycle Rally   in her state—which may arguably end up having been the largest superspreader event for the COVID-19 virus in the entire world—has led to thousands upon thousands of more deaths and illnesses, as well and billions in healthcare costs. Noem seems mostly interested in fundraising for   her reelection campaign and thinking about ways to make money for her campaign , while her state and the country suffer from her terrible decisions and cowardly, ignorant abuses of power.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1  seeder  JohnRussell    4 years ago

Blame Trump. He is the cause of this , and don't fucking deny it. 

He has millions of Americans believing Covid is a hoax and would go away on Nov 4. 

Split Personality
Professor Guide
1.1  Split Personality  replied to  JohnRussell @1    4 years ago

Or was it April?

Obviously, sunlight and summer heat did not affect the virus like the President thought.

Now his go to neurologist expert Atlas gives advise like "resist" governors who order

masks and lock downs, refusing to wear a mask himself.

Ender
Professor Principal
1.1.1  Ender  replied to  Split Personality @1.1    4 years ago

I thought I read that one guy he put in charge believed in herd immunity.

Split Personality
Professor Guide
1.1.2  Split Personality  replied to  Ender @1.1.1    4 years ago

Atlas the neurologist who won't wear a mask?

Same guy who told MI to "rise up" against their Governor...

A Federal advisor to the POTUS encouraging sedition.

bbl-1
Professor Quiet
1.1.3  bbl-1  replied to  Ender @1.1.1    4 years ago

Nah.  It was 'head' immunity.

Gazoo
Junior Silent
1.2  Gazoo  replied to  JohnRussell @1    4 years ago

I’ll fucking deny it. This lie is getting a ton of miles on it.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1.2.1  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  Gazoo @1.2    4 years ago

You are going to deny that some Trumpsters believe the virus is a hoax? Trump told them it would go away the day after the election. That would be kind of the definition of a claim that the virus wasnt real. 

I know people who said the same thing. Fortunately for them they didnt have the virus when they said it like these poor souls in South Dakota did. 

You can say whatever you want.  What I meant was you cant successfully deny that it is Trump's doing. He is the one who put this idea in these people's minds. 

Gazoo
Junior Silent
1.2.2  Gazoo  replied to  JohnRussell @1.2.1    4 years ago

Trump never said the virus is a hoax. To claim he did is a lie. If someone believes it’s a hoax, that’s on them, or the left that has spread this lie far and wide, not on trump.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1.2.3  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  Gazoo @1.2.2    4 years ago

Donald Trump said you would not hear anything about the virus after Nov 4.  If it were a real disease, how could that be?  

I have seen people say it was all made up to embarrass Trump. Why do you think these people who are dying of it deny that they have it?  Because they are Clinton supporters? lol. 

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1.2.4  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  Gazoo @1.2.2    4 years ago
In the days and weeks leading up to Election Day, President Donald Trump claimed that the " fake news media " chose to focus on Covid-19 to damage his campaign, predicting that once November 4th arrived, Americans would not hear about the virus anymore

bbl-1
Professor Quiet
1.2.5  bbl-1  replied to  JohnRussell @1.2.1    4 years ago

Don't feed the trolls.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
1.2.6  TᵢG  replied to  Gazoo @1.2.2    4 years ago
Trump never said the virus is a hoax.

I agree.   Trump downplayed the virus.   Do you agree with that?

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
1.2.7  Ozzwald  replied to  Gazoo @1.2.2    4 years ago
Trump never said the virus is a hoax. To claim he did is a lie.

Then what is the hoax?  What hoax is he talking about???

bbl-1
Professor Quiet
1.2.8  bbl-1  replied to  TᵢG @1.2.6    4 years ago

False.  Trump did say it was a "democratic hoax" in January then in February referred to it simply as a "hoax."

TᵢG
Professor Principal
1.2.9  TᵢG  replied to  bbl-1 @1.2.8    4 years ago

Okay, then I missed that.   I will see if I can find that.   I would not surprise me if he did call it a hoax, I just do not remember him going that far.   So on a hoax he shut down air travel??

TᵢG
Professor Principal
1.2.10  TᵢG  replied to  bbl-1 @1.2.8    4 years ago

Are you thinking of this?:

President Donald Trump accused Democrats of “politicizing” the deadly coronavirus during a campaign rally here on Friday, claiming that the outbreak is “their new hoax” as he continued to downplay the risk in the U.S.

If so that is not my interpretation of calling the virus a hoax.   He was claiming that reports of new outbreaks were part of a hoax perpetrated by the Ds.

Did Trump ever say that the virus itself is a hoax (i.e. it does not really exist)?

TᵢG
Professor Principal
1.2.11  TᵢG  replied to  Ozzwald @1.2.7    4 years ago

Yeah this is not Trump claiming the virus itself is a hoax.    Quite the opposite.

JBB
Professor Principal
1.2.12  JBB  replied to  TᵢG @1.2.11    4 years ago

Can you articulate exatly what the hoax was which he was talking about if it wasn't Covid?

TᵢG
Professor Principal
1.2.13  TᵢG  replied to  JBB @1.2.12    4 years ago

He was not saying that COVID-19 itself was a hoax.   Clearly not since he acknowledged its existence.

He was saying that the Ds are making up claims about the pandemic that are hoaxes.

Trump's use of English is not always good.   He does not really have the best words.

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
1.2.14  Greg Jones  replied to  JohnRussell @1.2.1    4 years ago
You are going to deny that some Trumpsters believe the virus is a hoax?
Some do, the vast majority don't

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
1.2.15  Ozzwald  replied to  TᵢG @1.2.13    4 years ago
He was saying that the Ds are making up claims about the pandemic that are hoaxes.

So he's saying there is no pandemic?  The pandemic is the hoax he is talking about?

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
1.2.17  Ozzwald  replied to    4 years ago
For fuck sake he said the coverage of the media and the democrats narrative are a hoax

So he's saying that there actually was no media coverage of the pandemic, and that all media coverage is a hoax? 

Or that the Democratic narrative about how dangerous the virus is, is the hoax, and that Corona virus isn't that dangerous?

You're not clarifying things very much.

for the last fucking time he did not say the virus itself was or is a hoax. 

But you cannot clearly state what the hoax was, and that's all I'm trying to find out.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1.2.19  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to    4 years ago

MUVA, why do some Trump supporters believe there is no pandemic?  Put it in your own words if you want. 

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
1.2.20  Hal A. Lujah  replied to  JohnRussell @1.2.19    4 years ago

I guess they just weren’t buying Trump’s Covita moment.  

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
1.2.21  Ozzwald  replied to    4 years ago
For fuck sakes man he said the coverage or the way the media has covered it was is a hoax

Explain how they covered it.  As a serious, life threatening issue?  

the media is not telling the truth about his beliefs about the virus.

What were his beliefs, that they were ignoring?  We already know his statements about the virus.

ETSl12MUUAEi2lQ.jpg

He also is saying the democrats are lying about is actions and beliefs about same instead of saying lying Trump’s says hoax now we can move on to the next leftist lie.

What actions????  What beliefs????  What were they lying about?

C'mon MUVA, give me some specifics so I can do a modicum of research to provide links to show you wrong.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1.2.22  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  Ozzwald @1.2.21    4 years ago

Good post. 

Trump has clearly belittled the seriousness of the pandemic from the beginning. These people in South Dakota who were caught by surprise almost certainly listened to their hero, Donald Trump. 

TᵢG
Professor Principal
1.2.23  TᵢG  replied to  Ozzwald @1.2.15    4 years ago
So he's saying there is no pandemic? 

No.   He acknowledges the pandemic.

He was, as usual, just bullshitting ... tossing out unsubstantiated allegations that an uptick in infections, and likely other metrics, was a D hoax.  The hoax (per Trump) was not the pandemic itself but 'news' of the pandemic.  

It is all bullshit and Trump gave no meaningful specifics, but he did not declare the pandemic itself to be a hoax.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
1.2.24  Vic Eldred  replied to  TᵢG @1.2.9    4 years ago

During a Feb. 28, 2020, campaign rally in South Carolina, President Donald Trump likened the Democrats' criticism of his administration's response to the new coronavirus outbreak to their efforts to impeach him, saying "this is their new hoax."

TᵢG
Professor Principal
1.2.25  TᵢG  replied to  Vic Eldred @1.2.24    4 years ago

Yes.   If I were you I would have offered this to someone who thinks Trump deemed the virus itself a hoax.  

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
1.2.26  Vic Eldred  replied to  TᵢG @1.2.25    4 years ago

The distortion of what he said has been widely used by msm, democrats and yes, here on NT.

I didn't like saying it, but since you put it that way...

TᵢG
Professor Principal
1.2.27  TᵢG  replied to  Vic Eldred @1.2.26    4 years ago

I do not see how this comment applies either.   You are preaching to the choir on this matter.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1.2.28  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  TᵢG @1.2.13    4 years ago
. The ones that stick out are those who still don’t believe the virus is real. The ones who scream at you for a magic medicine and that Joe Biden is going to ruin the USA. All while gasping for breath on 100% Vapotherm. They tell you there must be another reason they are sick. They call you names and ask why you have to wear all that “stuff” because they don’t have COViD because it’s not real.

Tig, Donald Trump led some people to believe that coronavirus was not real. If not, why do we see some Trump supporters saying that it is not real?  They didnt get that idea from Nancy Pelosi or Hillary Clinton did they? 

TᵢG
Professor Principal
1.2.29  TᵢG  replied to  JohnRussell @1.2.28    4 years ago
Tig, Donald Trump led some people to believe that coronavirus was not real.

Correct.   But has Trump deemed COVID-19 itself or the pandemic itself to be a hoax?

If not, why do we see some Trump supporters saying that it is not real? 

They are taking his downplaying of the virus as a clue.   Many probably were not listening carefully and stupidly drew the wrong inference.   Also, we have word-of-mouth stupidity where people simply accept as truth what others say (the mailbox game).   

So no question that Trump downplayed the pandemic.   But the allegation here is that he labeled COVID-19 itself or the pandemic itself a hoax.   I have yet to see any evidence of that but I have seen plenty of evidence that Trump acknowledges both COVID-19 and the pandemic are real.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
1.2.30  Vic Eldred  replied to  TᵢG @1.2.27    4 years ago
You are preaching to the choir on this matter.

Thank you, sir.

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
1.2.31  Ozzwald  replied to  TᵢG @1.2.23    4 years ago
but he did not declare the pandemic itself to be a hoax

He declared something to be a hoax, and I am trying to find out for his apologizers, what that something was.

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
1.2.32  Ozzwald  replied to  Vic Eldred @1.2.24    4 years ago
likened the Democrats' criticism of his administration's response to the new coronavirus outbreak to their efforts to impeach him, saying "this is their new hoax."

So the hoax was that when the Democrats criticized his lack of response to the pandemic, he had really responded to it properly???

Did you see the list I attached to my previous post with Trump's responses? 

Can you list the things that he responded with, prior to Feb. 28th?

TᵢG
Professor Principal
1.2.34  TᵢG  replied to  Ozzwald @1.2.31    4 years ago
He declared something to be a hoax, and I am trying to find out for his apologizers, what that something was.

Well I do not care what Trump was trying to say.   My focus is on the question of whether he called the pandemic itself a hoax.   So far I see no evidence that he stated the pandemic itself is a hoax.

Do you have anything that shows Trump stating that the pandemic itself is a hoax?   The pandemic that he clearly acknowledges as real.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
1.2.35  Trout Giggles  replied to  Ozzwald @1.2.15    4 years ago

It's hard to determine what he's calling a hoax and just what the hell he's talking about and what he means. 

I do agree he didn't call the virus a hoax but I think what he meant was that the democrats were making too big a deal about it and that this was their new hoax...whatever that means. The man doesn't know the meaning of the word hoax

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
1.2.36  Trout Giggles  replied to    4 years ago

well that's clear as mud....

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
1.2.37  Ozzwald  replied to    4 years ago

Part of his response was to the media’s reaction to the travel ban calling him a racist that is was part of what he called hoax.

He is a racist, and there was no travel ban.

AP FACT CHECK: Trump and the virus-era China ban that isn’t

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
1.2.38  Ozzwald  replied to  TᵢG @1.2.34    4 years ago
My focus is on the question of whether he called the pandemic itself a hoax.

Why would you focus on that?  If he didn't call it a hoax, what did he call a hoax?  I provided the video so you can hear it in his own words.

Do you have anything that shows Trump stating that the pandemic itself is a hoax?   The pandemic that he clearly acknowledges as real.

I provided the video, all I have been asking is that if he isn't calling the Corona virus a hoax, in that video, what is he calling a hoax?

TᵢG
Professor Principal
1.2.39  TᵢG  replied to  Ozzwald @1.2.38    4 years ago
Why would you focus on that?

Because Gazoo clarified that Trump never said the virus is a hoax and I agreed with him (because he is correct):

JR@1 ☞ He has millions of Americans believing Covid is a hoax and would go away on Nov 4. 
Gazoo @1.2.2Trump never said the virus is a hoax.

I agreed and then asked him if he agrees that Trump downplayed the virus (getting back to what JR established @1):

TiG @1.2.6I agree.   Trump downplayed the virus.   Do you agree with that?

Asking me to explain what Trump was calling a hoax is uncalled for;  I have never claimed to know what the guy meant;  only that he clearly did not mean that the virus itself was a hoax.  This should be obvious since Trump acknowledged the existence of the virus from day one.

If he didn't call it a hoax, what did he call a hoax?  I provided the video so you can hear it in his own words.

Why are you asking me what Trump meant by a hoax?    He clearly was not saying the virus was a hoax while declaring a D hoax.   Your guess is as good as anyone else what Trump meant.   I cannot read the guy's mind.

But clearly since Trump acknowledges the pandemic (do you need me to prove that?) he could not possibly be saying that the virus is a hoax.  Right?

I provided the video, all I have been asking is that if he isn't calling the Corona virus a hoax, in that video, what is he calling a hoax?

Again, I cannot read his mind.  

Give me the quote that convinces you that Trump was declaring the virus itself a hoax.   If you cannot do that then cease badgering me with these pointless questions because I am now tired of repeating the same answer to you.

Best I can tell, Trump has never declared that the virus itself is a hoax.   He has been blaming China for it since day one so obviously he does not consider the virus itself to be a hoax.

I do not know what D hoax Trump had in mind.   He babbles ... I do not take his allegations seriously so I do not care.

cjcold
Professor Quiet
1.2.41  cjcold  replied to  TᵢG @1.2.10    4 years ago
“their new hoax”

As opposed to the scientists' old hoax of global warming?

Guess what? Anthropogenic global warming is kicking in stronger than ever.

It never rains but when it pours huh?

TᵢG
Professor Principal
1.2.42  TᵢG  replied to  cjcold @1.2.41    4 years ago

I am at a loss at what some people believe;   it is as if no reasoning takes place.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
1.2.43  TᵢG  replied to  gooseisgone @1.2.40    4 years ago

Yes, Biden will get credit if we can get this pandemic under control.   That is how things work:  the sitting PotUS gets credit or blame for what takes place under his watch.

Let's just hope that we can indeed get this pandemic under control.   I really do not care who gets credit for it because credit is not priority 1.

bbl-1
Professor Quiet
1.2.44  bbl-1  replied to  TᵢG @1.2.23    4 years ago

What ever.  In March 'the Trump' said the warm weather of April would make the virus 'disappear like a miracle'.  ( paraphrase )

TᵢG
Professor Principal
1.2.45  TᵢG  replied to  bbl-1 @1.2.44    4 years ago

Yes, Trump routinely downplayed the virus.   I have stated that clearly and repeatedly.

Why are you arguing with me?    With what do you disagree?

bbl-1
Professor Quiet
1.2.46  bbl-1  replied to  TᵢG @1.2.45    4 years ago

Not arguing.  With 'the Trump' there isn't any reason to argue.  He said he's, "Got the biggest brain," right?  There it is.  There you have it.  The proof is the last swig of the Windsor Canadian Whiskey.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
1.3  Vic Eldred  replied to  JohnRussell @1    4 years ago

I have never met anyone who thinks covid is a hoax, but I've many who refuse to take the vaccine when it becomes available. Who is responsible for that, John?

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1.3.1  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  Vic Eldred @1.3    4 years ago

This is what the nurse in the story said

The ones that stick out are those who still don’t believe the virus is real.The ones who scream at you for a magic medicine and that Joe Biden is going to ruin the USA.All while gasping for breath on 100% Vapotherm. They tell you there must be another reason they are sick.

Why would they think it isnt possible they had coronavirus unless they got that idea from Trump? 

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
1.3.2  Vic Eldred  replied to  JohnRussell @1.3.1    4 years ago

For someone who complains about sources, here you have a piece from the "Daily Kos!"

"In the interview, Doering explained that she really hadn’t expected her tweets to go viral like this and was not blaming the victims of this virus or making a political statement. She was just reporting on some of what she was seeing. "

Sure she is ....Lol

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1.3.3  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  Vic Eldred @1.3.2    4 years ago

Vic, type @jodidoering into twitter. 

The ones that stick out are those who still don’t believe the virus is real.The ones who scream at you for a magic medicine and that Joe Biden is going to ruin the USA.All while gasping for breath on 100% Vapotherm. They tell you there must be another reason they are sick. They call you names and ask why you have to wear all that “stuff” because they don’t have COViD because it’s not real.

That is a direct quote from her from her twitter feed. 

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
1.3.4  Vic Eldred  replied to  JohnRussell @1.3.3    4 years ago
That is a direct quote from her from her twitter feed. 

Who is she that her word is to be taken as the absolute truth?

zuksam
Junior Silent
1.3.5  zuksam  replied to  JohnRussell @1.3.1    4 years ago
Why would they think it isnt possible they had coronavirus unless they got that idea from Trump? 

Trump had the virus, he went to the hospital and got treatment. No matter what was said last year if there are any people who believe it's a hoax now it can't be blamed on Trump, He had it, he admitted to having it so they must be getting their false theories somewhere else.

cjcold
Professor Quiet
1.3.6  cjcold  replied to  Vic Eldred @1.3    4 years ago

[Deleted]

Ender
Professor Principal
2  Ender    4 years ago

Just saw you posted this. I guess I will delete mine.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
2.1  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  Ender @2    4 years ago

I didnt see yours sorry. I can delete this one. 

Ender
Professor Principal
2.1.1  Ender  replied to  JohnRussell @2.1    4 years ago

I just deleted mine.

Split Personality
Professor Guide
2.1.2  Split Personality  replied to  Ender @2.1.1    4 years ago

That's why I could not post this, lol

But like many here profess vociferously, we can't make them wear a mask or take the vaccine.

196 196 196 196

They have rights!

/S

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
2.1.3  Greg Jones  replied to  Split Personality @2.1.2    4 years ago
we can't make them wear a mask or take the vaccine.

True....presidents and politicians don't seem to have those vast powers of persuasion and influence anymore

cjcold
Professor Quiet
2.1.4  cjcold  replied to  Split Personality @2.1.2    4 years ago

This is why I never had children.

Split Personality
Professor Guide
2.1.5  Split Personality  replied to  cjcold @2.1.4    4 years ago

Believe me, it's character building for all involved.  LMAO

Ender
Professor Principal
3  Ender    4 years ago
“Their last dying words are, ‘This can’t be happening. It’s not real.’ And when they should be... Facetiming their families, they’re filled with anger and hatred.”

Doering also noted on Twitter that some patients argue with her that President-elect Joe Biden "is going to ruin the USA."

Split Personality
Professor Guide
3.1  Split Personality  replied to  Ender @3    4 years ago

(M)ass hysteria......go figure.

cjcold
Professor Quiet
3.2  cjcold  replied to  Ender @3    4 years ago

Interesting how it's far right wingers who die from COVID-19.

Ender
Professor Principal
3.2.1  Ender  replied to  cjcold @3.2    4 years ago

I have been doing what I can to keep myself safe. I have relatives that are compromised and could really be hurt by it.

bbl-1
Professor Quiet
4  bbl-1    4 years ago

MAGA is a mental disorder.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
5  TᵢG    4 years ago
One of the greatest— and arguably the most criminal—aspects of Trump and his political party's stance on the global pandemic has been the anti-science baseline of misinformation.

This has been my biggest complaint about Trump's handling of this pandemic.    Because it backfired (did not preserve the economy) it is arguably a single failure by Trump that cost him the election.

Rightly so, because by talking down the pandemic as PotUS, millions of the more naive, sycophantic members of our society have not taken the proper precautions and have exacerbated the pandemic in our nation.   

What the PotUS states is critical because of the power the office carries.   That is why most responsible PotUS' do not simply wing it;  they carefully consider their words before they speak them and are guided by professional speech writers.  

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
5.1  Greg Jones  replied to  TᵢG @5    4 years ago
millions of the more naive, sycophantic members of our society have not taken the proper precautions and have exacerbated the pandemic in our nation.  

Just a wild ass assumption that lacks proof. Your assertions are silly and divisive.So why the surge this fall? Are Trump supporters the only ones getting sick?

evilone
Professor Guide
5.1.1  evilone  replied to  Greg Jones @5.1    4 years ago
Just a wild ass assumption that lacks proof.

The proof is in the numbers of sick and dead. The proof is in the numbers of dumbasses who refuse mandates to slow the spread.

Are Trump supporters the only ones getting sick?

Trump supporters don't live in a bubble they just think like they do.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
5.1.2  TᵢG  replied to  Greg Jones @5.1    4 years ago
Just a wild ass assumption that lacks proof.

There are 328 million people in the USA.   If Trump's downplaying of the virus encouraged just 0.6% of the population (that is 0.006) to not wear masks or social distance, that translates into 2 million people.

You are correct that I do not have the means to verify that more than one million people were lax strictly due to Trump's downplaying of the economy.   No proof is available so we need to operate on the basis of evidence and reason.

If you think that the president of the US downplaying the virus, refusing to wear a mask, discrediting science, etc. did not have an effect on at least 0.6% of the nation then I think your ability to do analysis is severely lacking.  

Your assertions are silly and divisive.

Your allegation is naïve and likely partisan and emotional;  clearly not based on critical thinking.

So why the surge this fall? Are Trump supporters the only ones getting sick?

The surge is a result of the colder weather bringing people indoors more coupled with what has been labeled as 'pandemic fatigue' where people are just emotionally tired of the constant precautions are are growing lax.

cjcold
Professor Quiet
5.1.3  cjcold  replied to  Greg Jones @5.1    4 years ago

Wouldn't have a problem with you being charged for denying a pandemic.

or any sort of baby raping reality.

Kavika
Professor Principal
6  Kavika     4 years ago

In neighboring Dakota, the republican governor mandated masks and other restrictions. They are short of health care workers and the hospitals are at max capacity. 

In SD we have a nitwit governor in Noem who, even the 2nd highest infection rate, the 3rd highest mortality rate still insists that personal responsibility will work. Perhaps if she joined the nurse in this video she might gain some knowledge or she can take a turn working a 12-hour shift in a COVID ward. 

I watched an interview with a doctor SD and he was saying that even with the spread and the mortality rate many rural people refuse to wear a mask. 

Stupid is as stupid does. 

We even have some like minded dumb asses on NT.

Dig
Professor Participates
6.1  Dig  replied to  Kavika @6    4 years ago

I'm not in the Dakotas, but I went to a hardware store today and I was the only one in there wearing a mask. Even the employees weren't. It's maddening.

Kavika
Professor Principal
6.1.1  Kavika   replied to  Dig @6.1    4 years ago

That is amazing Dig, MO has a positivity rate of over 17%. MO had 4673 new cases today. What in the world are they thinking?

mocowgirl
Professor Quiet
6.1.2  mocowgirl  replied to  Kavika @6.1.1    4 years ago
MO has a positivity rate of over 17%. MO had 4673 new cases today. What in the world are they thinking?

Denial is not just a river in Egypt.

In SW MO, I rarely see anyone in a mask anywhere.  This is why I shop when stores open only when I have to supplement my grocery supply.  I have several months of pantry staples on hand, and have been venturing out for only fresh produce and dairy for months.  I plan to freeze enough dairy for a couple of months and avoid shopping altogether until after the 1st of January.

Dig
Professor Participates
6.1.3  Dig  replied to  Kavika @6.1.1    4 years ago
That is amazing Dig, MO has a positivity rate of over 17%. MO had 4673 new cases today. What in the world are they thinking?

It's a bastion of Trump support. 'Nuff said, right?

We went the longest time with a very low death rate in my area, but in the past 2 months it's really started creeping upward. My mother caught it in October and I actually had to take her to the emergency room once. It was scary, and afterward I was so pissed off at people walking around maskless, as if nothing was going on. Thankfully she survived, but now her blood pressure is proving hard to manage. Her doc thinks it's an after effect of Covid.

People don't seem to realize that even if you survive, it doesn't necessarily mean you'll be as healthy as you were before.

I honestly can't believe how stupid, nasty, and cruel so many people seem to be.

Kavika
Professor Principal
6.1.4  Kavika   replied to  Dig @6.1.3    4 years ago

I'm happy to hear that your mum pulled through. There are long term effects that are still being discovered. 

One of our neighbors caught it and was in the hospital for 5 days (no ICU ) that was in June and she still is exhausted and her husband said at times she has brain fog. 

Yeah, Trump land explains a lot it was the same where I lived in Lampe. You simply cannot talk to them and none of them think that they will catch COVID.

Dig
Professor Participates
6.1.5  Dig  replied to  Kavika @6.1.4    4 years ago

People need to start sending Trump their Covid medical bills. Let's see some of that beautiful, glorious, magnificent healthcare that he's been promising for 5 years.

MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka)
Junior Guide
6.1.6  MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka)  replied to  Dig @6.1.3    4 years ago
Thankfully she survived, but now her blood pressure is proving hard to manage. Her doc thinks it's an after effect of Covid.

Yes, it's wonderful she survived. My sleep specialist [also a pulmonary specialist] has said that permanent heart and pulmonary effects are being observed in some patients that survived COVID. No one really knows the percentage of people that have lasting effects, nor does anyone know the long-term effects either. I find it very scary. I signed my 12 year old son up for online school all year, because he wants to be able to see his grandma still. Her health isn't the greatest to begin with and I know would never survive it; therefore, he's doing online all year. She keeps scolding me, "You should allow him to go into school. He needs the social interaction..." I told her that if she wanted to see him, he's not going into school and will continue his education online. She said, "I'll be fine. We can still see each other..." My husband and I agree... with schools having so many issues right now with maintaining health and safety [our district closed all the schools again], it's asinine for her to think that everything would be just fine. For what it's worth, she is a serious Biden supporter and we are not.

Dig
Professor Participates
6.1.7  Dig  replied to  MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka) @6.1.6    4 years ago
My sleep specialist [also a pulmonary specialist] has said that permanent heart and pulmonary effects are being observed in some patients that survived COVID.

A while back I saw a doctor on some news program (can't remember who or where) say that it seems to be more of a vascular disease than a respiratory disease. They were talking about how only a relative few actually end up hospitalized with respiratory issues, while many, many more who don't require hospitalization still end up with cardiovascular problems.

I hope you guys can stay clear of it.

cjcold
Professor Quiet
6.1.8  cjcold  replied to  Dig @6.1    4 years ago

Same way in my little redneck town. The sub-100 IQ folk don't mask and don't believe in science.

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
6.2  Raven Wing  replied to  Kavika @6    4 years ago
Stupid is as stupid does

When I see a bunch of people not wearing their masks I want to grab a mallet and play 'What-A-Mole' on their heads! Who do they think they are? Gods' Chosen? Maybe, but, it would not be for their superior intelligence, nor would HE chose them for what they think he will. God is supposedly a smart deity.

cjcold
Professor Quiet
6.2.1  cjcold  replied to  Raven Wing @6.2    4 years ago

I feel much the same way, but it would be you in jail at the end of the day.

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
7  Hal A. Lujah    4 years ago

Kind of reminds me of the drowning man story.

A fellow was stuck on his rooftop in a flood. He was praying to God for help.

Soon a man in a rowboat came by and the fellow shouted to the man on the roof, "Jump in, I can save you."

The stranded fellow shouted back, "No, it's OK, I'm praying to God and he is going to save me."

So the rowboat went on.

Then a motorboat came by. "The fellow in the motorboat shouted, "Jump in, I can save you."

To this the stranded man said, "No thanks, I'm praying to God and he is going to save me. I have faith."

So the motorboat went on.

Then a helicopter came by and the pilot shouted down, "Grab this rope and I will lift you to safety."

To this the stranded man again replied, "No thanks, I'm praying to God and he is going to save me. I have faith."

So the helicopter reluctantly flew away.

Soon the water rose above the rooftop and the man drowned. He went to Heaven. He finally got his chance to discuss this whole situation with God, at which point he exclaimed, "I had faith in you but you didn't save me, you let me drown. I don't understand why!"

To this God replied, "I sent you a rowboat and a motorboat and a helicopter, what more did you expect?"

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
7.1  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Hal A. Lujah @7    4 years ago

Didn't Trump say it was going to disappear, like a "miracle"?

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
7.1.1  Greg Jones  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @7.1    4 years ago

NO!

Kavika
Professor Principal
7.1.2  Kavika   replied to  Greg Jones @7.1.1    4 years ago

YES!

Feb. 27

At a White House meeting:

“It’s going to disappear. One day — it’s like a miracle — it will disappear.”

shona1
PhD Quiet
8  shona1    4 years ago

A/noon..Can't believe people were not convinced when they saw what was happening in Italy and the rest of Europe etc at the beginning of all this mess and again now..Entire families wiped out.. Hell we took one look and knew what was coming to our shores..Have no idea how you can convince people this is not a hoax...Maybe they should be sent to the hospitals..hold someones hand as they pass away, have to take the deceased to the morgue, ring and tell their families their love one has gone or dig graves...We have a few running around saying it is a hoax, but they are ignored, shunned and ostracized they soon learn to pull their heads in...Rather sad to think that for many hoaxers over there this will be their last Christmas, only they don't know it yet..

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
9  seeder  JohnRussell    4 years ago
I have a night off from the hospital. As I’m on my couch with my dog I can’t help but think of the Covid patients the last few days. The ones that stick out are those who still don’t believe the virus is real. The ones who scream at you for a magic medicine and that Joe Biden is going to ruin the USA. All while gasping for breath on 100% Vapotherm. They tell you there must be another reason they are sick. They call you names and ask why you have to wear all that “stuff” because they don’t have COViD because it’s not real. Yes. This really happens. And I can’t stop thinking about it. These people really think this isn’t going to happen to them. And then they stop yelling at you when they get intubated. It’s like a fucking horror movie that never ends. There’s no credits that roll. You just go back and do it all over again.

MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka)
Junior Guide
9.1  MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka)  replied to  JohnRussell @9    4 years ago

Horribly sad all the way around. The ignorance of things people can't see, the ignorance of things people believe because they heard it somewhere. My aunt caught COVID from work [she works in a hospital, in an office where early on, Beaumont wouldn't provide any masks to those not working the COVID floor or ER] and passed it to my uncle and cousin. My uncle got hit hardest, my cousin was hit 2nd hardest, and my aunt was mildly ill for a few days before testing negative. They test her frequently for antibodies now and she still has antibodies. So, there's hope as far as maintaining antibodies. For what it's worth... my aunt and uncle are Trump supporters. She was angry that she got sick and knows that it had to do with the hospital not allowing their office staff to wear masks in the beginning. The hospital's reasoning for not allowing it's office staff to wear masks is that the hospital administration believed it would cause patients to panic and fear being there.

cjcold
Professor Quiet
9.2  cjcold  replied to  JohnRussell @9    4 years ago

Spent 15 years as a paramedic and am so glad to be retired during the COVID-19 days.

Own a place way out in the country and don't allow company anymore.

FLYNAVY1
Professor Guide
9.2.1  FLYNAVY1  replied to  cjcold @9.2    4 years ago

Retiring in rural Kansas.....?

What's your closest town of 25,000 just for reference my fellow Chiefs fan?

I'm a Lawrence native BTW.