╌>

Republicans seek to stymie Biden with final Trump nominees - POLITICO

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  jbb  •  4 years ago  •  42 comments

By:   POLITICO

Republicans seek to stymie Biden with final Trump nominees - POLITICO
The Senate GOP is working to stock the government with conservative appointments in the lame duck.

Is it any wonder that the once Grand Old Party of Abraham Lincoln is now known merely as the gop?

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

Republicans seek to stymie Biden with final Trump nominees

The Senate GOP is working to stock the government with conservative appointments in the lame duck.

?url=https%3A%2F%2Fstatic.politico.com%2Fca%2F74%2F5f393ccb46178a5ce6b9387263d8%2F20201118-mitch-mcconnell-ap-773.jpg

Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell, R-Ky., arrives to talk to reporters after a Republican Conference luncheon, on Capitol Hill in Washington, Tuesday, Nov. 17, 2020. | AP Photo/J. Scott Applewhite

Two months before Joe Biden assumes the presidency, Senate Republicans are racing to install a series of conservative nominees that will outlast Donald Trump.

While Trump still refuses to concede the election, the Senate GOP is moving quickly to ensure that the president's stamp sticks to the Federal Elections Commission, Federal Reserve Board, the federal judiciary and beyond.

The effort played out in dramatic fashion this week, as Senate Republicans tried to muscle Judy Shelton onto the Fed by the narrowest of margins but fell short amid senators' absences from the coronavirus. They're also plotting a confirmation vote for Christopher Waller, Trump's less controversial Fed pick.

The last-minute push to confirm Shelton, Waller and others is a key part of the Senate GOP's bid to wield power in the dwindling days of a Republican presidency — even if most in the party still won't acknowledge Biden's victory.

With coronavirus relief negotiations at an impasse, the to-do list for the lame duck session will in all likelihood be limited to funding the government, passing an annual defense bill and confirming nominees.

Senate Republicans also have the majority on their mind, with twin run-off races in Georgia that will determine control of the chamber. While Republicans are favored, Democrats could flip the Senate if they win both seats. That's got the GOP eager to do what they can between now and January while their majority is assured.

The Senate held hearings Wednesday for three nominees to the Federal Election Commission, a panel that has struggled to hold a quorum during Trump's presidency. If Senate Rules Chair Roy Blunt (R-Mo.) can get all three nominees through the committee and ready for the floor in December, the nation's chief campaign finance watchdog will have a full slate of commissioners for the first time in years.

By law, the six-member commission cannot have more than three members from the same party serving, so the GOP would not have an advantage, but it would give Trump an opportunity to leave his mark.

When asked about the timing of hearings for the FEC nominees, Blunt responded that filling lifetime vacancies was the first priority but "there just aren't many of them left."

Sen. Lindsey Graham (R-S.C.) is moving quickly to advance a new tranche of judicial nominees, including Thomas Kirsch to take a seat on the Seventh Circuit Court of Appeals to replace Supreme Court Justice Amy Coney Barrett. Democrats are protesting the committee moving forward on new judicial nominees after Trump's defeat, but Graham dismissed their concerns in an interview.

This week alone, the Senate confirmed four district court judges.

"The forces behind this operation want to see these goals accomplished," said Sen. Sheldon Whitehouse (D-R.I.). "They spent a lot of good money for the majority that's doing it and they want to use every last day of it."

Meanwhile, the Senate Energy Committee advanced two nominees this week for the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission, which oversees the nation's electricity markets. If confirmed, the picks would lock in three Republican appointees on the five-member commission through mid-2021.

Senate Republicans also face pressure to jam through Trump's nominee to the FCC. Doing so would delay Biden's ability to form a Democratic majority at the five-member regulatory body next year and likely push off new regulations such as a revival of the Obama-era net neutrality rules. Trump himself has needled Senate Republicans to pick up the pace on the appointment, a Commerce Department staffer named Nathan Simington who some conservatives see as critical to Trump's attempted crackdown on social media giants.

"When you have openings in agencies that are usually Republican you probably want to fill it while he's president. But this is not new ground we're plowing," Graham said of the party's efforts.

Even though Trump has largely remained out of sight since losing the Nov. 3 election and continues to block the transition of power, the White House is still sending nominations over to the Senate.

On Tuesday, Trump announced his intent to nominate Brian Brooks to a five-year term as Comptroller of the Currency. Brooks currently holds the role in an acting capacity and Senate Banking Committee Chair Mike Crapo (R-Idaho) told reporters he'd consider the nomination given that "Trump is president until this election is resolved, and maybe beyond."

While Republicans may view the lame duck session as a final opportunity to implement their conservative agenda before Biden is inaugurated, Democrats see a Trump-led effort to impede the president-elect wherever possible.

"Whether it's new sanctions against Iran or a pull-out from Afghanistan or FEC and Fed nominees, Trump's goal right now is to sort of sabotage and make complicated a Biden administration to the maximum extent possible," said Sen. Chris Murphy (D-Conn.), adding that Senate Republicans "are along for the ride on all of it."

John Hendel, Anthony Adragna, Victoria Guida and Zach Montellaro contributed to this report.

POLITICO

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

JBB
Professor Principal
1  seeder  JBB    4 years ago

Is it any wonder that the once Grand Old Party of Abraham Lincoln is now known merely as the gop?

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
1.1  Greg Jones  replied to  JBB @1    4 years ago

What's a gop?

JBB
Professor Principal
1.1.1  seeder  JBB  replied to  Greg Jones @1.1    4 years ago

A gop is defined as that nasty brown slimy substance often found at the very bottom of a dirty refrigerator underneath the crisper drawer.

devangelical
Professor Principal
1.1.2  devangelical  replied to  Greg Jones @1.1    4 years ago

it's what's left in the toilet shortly after a cup of coffee and a bran muffin ...

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
1.2  XXJefferson51  replied to  JBB @1    4 years ago

I seeded on this article topic yesterday not seeing this one but my article was celebrating what the senate is doing and I’m well pleased by it as well.  

JBB
Professor Principal
1.2.1  seeder  JBB  replied to  XXJefferson51 @1.2    4 years ago

[removed]

JBB
Professor Principal
2  seeder  JBB    4 years ago

After a generation of do nothing Congresses Americans have achieved nothing and it has Americans doing nothing. Obstructionism has become an art form.

Doing nothing is not only accepted, it is expected. BOOOOO!

If you are one of those who thinks one party always standing in the way of progress is good then you are the problem. So, BOOOOO to you, too!

This nation is rich and powerful. Why waste all that?

JBB
Professor Principal
3  seeder  JBB    4 years ago

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
4  Bob Nelson    4 years ago

A quarter of a million Americans are dead... millions more are in desperate financial trouble. 

But the GOP never loses its focus on what it considers important: kneecapping Biden.

Mitch has his priorities.... 

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
4.1  Greg Jones  replied to  Bob Nelson @4    4 years ago
kneecapping Biden.

Yep, that's the plan. I doubt the American people want all three branches of government in Democrat hands, though.

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
4.1.1  Bob Nelson  replied to  Greg Jones @4.1    4 years ago

Mitch could maybe take a few minutes from his busy screw-Biden schedule to help the country's Covid victims, health and financial. 

bugsy
Professor Participates
4.1.2  bugsy  replied to  Bob Nelson @4.1.1    4 years ago
busy screw-Biden schedule

How is that any different than the 4 year democratic referendum of "screw Trump" for no other reason than he is not named Hillary?

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
4.1.3  Bob Nelson  replied to  bugsy @4.1.2    4 years ago

Cool. 

You (collective plural) cannot justify Mitch's unthinking, incessant obstruction.

So you "what about". 

Cool. Despicable. 

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
4.1.4  Greg Jones  replied to  Bob Nelson @4.1.1    4 years ago

What should he do that is not being done?

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
4.1.5  Bob Nelson  replied to  Greg Jones @4.1.4    4 years ago
What should he do that is not being done?

Relief for Covid economic victims.

bugsy
Professor Participates
4.1.7  bugsy  replied to  Bob Nelson @4.1.3    4 years ago

Sorry but your post made zero sense.

bugsy
Professor Participates
4.1.8  bugsy  replied to  Bob Nelson @4.1.5    4 years ago
Relief for Covid economic victims.

So take your grievances to Nancy.

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
4.1.9  Bob Nelson  replied to  bugsy @4.1.8    4 years ago

The Dems passed legislation in the House many months ago. 

Dulay
Professor Expert
4.1.10  Dulay  replied to  bugsy @4.1.2    4 years ago
How is that any different than the 4 year democratic referendum of "screw Trump" for no other reason than he is not named Hillary?

The way it is different is that it is actually happening in the real world rather than in your head. 

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
5  Paula Bartholomew    4 years ago

it would give Trump an opportunity to leave his mark.

Dogs do that.  They usually piss on trees or hire hydrants but Trump did it to the US.

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
5.1  Bob Nelson  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @5    4 years ago

jrSmiley_81_smiley_image.gif

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
5.1.1  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Bob Nelson @5.1    4 years ago

jrSmiley_9_smiley_image.gif

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
5.2  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @5    4 years ago

Fire not hire.  My bad.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
6  Buzz of the Orient    4 years ago

I think the Democrats should focus some real attention on educating the Georgia voters as to how Trump and the Republican Senate are working overtime to sabotage Biden and cripple America, in order to make sure there is a maximum vote for the Democrats running for those two seats. Although I know that it is probably a good thing to have "checks and balances", I don't think it should apply when there is so much bad faith being shown by the Republicans.   America is being divided by Trump and his cohorts into two separate countries before our very eyes - it's uncanny. 

bccrane
Freshman Silent
6.1  bccrane  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @6    4 years ago

Seems you would be in favor of the Republicans winning those seats for the sake of checks and balances, because with a democrat control of the two branches and then packing the court, you'll see a divided country when, as you suggested, half the country starts getting sent to re-education camps.

And just who is dividing the country anyways?  On CBS this morning, they had HHS secretary Azar answering questions and the question came up about Trump not sharing information about what's happening with the covid crisis and Azar's answer was there is nothing being hidden, it's all transparent, all government agencies are apprised of everything that is happening, and the public knows everything.  So the reporter asked the question, with a 'yeah right' look on his face, "So what your saying is Biden is incorrect with his claim?" (I would insert "lying" in place of "incorrect") and Azar said "That would be correct".  Gayle came back with something like "Then we have a difference of opinion" with a shocked look on her face.  Then the next report was about Trump not cooperating with Biden on the pandemic and the insinuation that people are dying because of that, I came unglued and started yelling at the TV, so again, just who is dividing the country?

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
6.1.1  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  bccrane @6.1    4 years ago

jrSmiley_28_smiley_image.gif jrSmiley_13_smiley_image.gif

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
6.1.2  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  bccrane @6.1    4 years ago

Thanks for your opinion, and for permitting me to have one as well.

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
6.2  Greg Jones  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @6    4 years ago

America is being divided by Trump and his cohorts into two separate countries before our very eyes - it's uncanny. 

[deleted]

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
6.2.1  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Greg Jones @6.2    4 years ago
"The deep divisions in this country started with the sore loser Democrats"

You mean Hillary refused to concede?  You mean Obama did everything possible to reverse the election result once the winner was proclaimed by the media?  I'm glad you informed me of something I didn't know, because otherwise I might actually have been stupid.

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
6.2.2  Bob Nelson  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @6.2.1    4 years ago

Hey! You're old enough to remember the last sitting Democratic President to lose.

You surely remember Jimmy Carter's many months of maneuvering to subvert the result.

And of course... we all remember how Carter petulantly did everything possible to undercut the transition...

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
6.2.3  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Bob Nelson @6.2.2    4 years ago

You already know that I have no idea what your YouTube was.  I don't want to go through this with you again with what it led to the last time. 

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
6.2.4  Bob Nelson  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @6.2.3    4 years ago

It's Carter's very classy concession speech. 

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
6.2.5  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Bob Nelson @6.2.4    4 years ago

Carter was too much of a gentleman to be POTUS - he was in many ways the opposite of Trump.  I'll never forget the scene while I was watching on TV Pierre Elliott Trudeau's funeral (yes, Justin's father, Canada's former P.M.) when Carter and Fidel Castro had side-by-side seats on the aisle and they kept trying to have the other take the inner one of the seats.  Castro finally won the aisle seat. 

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
6.2.7  Bob Nelson  replied to    4 years ago

Carter has class.

Trump does not.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
7  Buzz of the Orient    4 years ago

Wow.   Look at the responses I got.   I'm watching America going to hell and there are people here who are kicking it along the way. 

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
7.1  Bob Nelson  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @7    4 years ago

America's finest characteristic has been its yearning for human rights. Now we see that very nearly half of all Americans would now impose their will on the others... who mathematically are more than half.

America is a failed state, not because of a miserable President, but because of the people who have supported him... and still do.

bccrane
Freshman Silent
7.2  bccrane  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @7    4 years ago

What's going to hell, we now have vaccines almost ready to go, the infrastructure is in place to deliver it when ready, and it was done without Biden's input, which BTW if we had to wait now for Biden to OK everything because he is the president-elect then that would just slow things down.  As Azar put it this morning, the spread of the virus now is because of the colder weather forcing everyone inside and closer together, there's no "something" being kept from Biden about it.

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
7.2.1  Bob Nelson  replied to  bccrane @7.2    4 years ago
almost ready to go

Tomorrow the sky will be blue!

Today, another 1000+ will die.

As Azar put it this morning, the spread of the virus now is because of the colder weather forcing everyone inside and closer together, there's no "something" being kept from Biden about it.

Gosh! The weather gets colder in Winter! Hooda thunk it?? I'm so grateful to our good ol' Alex for explaining this complicated science...

... and for explaining the reinforced anti-Covid measures that the Administration is taking because of the colder weather.

... ... ... ... what's that you say??     ... ... ... There are no reinforced measures, because ... there are no ordinary measures, already...

I see...

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
7.2.2  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Bob Nelson @7.2.1    4 years ago
"Today, another 1000+ will die."

Update - TWO thousand.

More deniers every day as well, it appears. 

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
7.2.3  Bob Nelson  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @7.2.2    4 years ago

jrSmiley_89_smiley_image.gif