╌>

While Trump sulks, Americans get Covid-19 and die - CNNPolitics

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  tig  •  4 years ago  •  289 comments

By:   CNN

While Trump sulks, Americans get Covid-19 and die  - CNNPolitics
As the US speeds past the tragic mark of a quarter of a million Covid-19 deaths, its President is sulking in the White House over an election he lost fair and square and obstructing the effort by his soon-to-be successor, Joe Biden, to stand up a fight against the fast-worsening pandemic.

I am surprised at how far Trump is taking this.  

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

(CNN)As the US speeds past the tragic mark of a quarter of a million Covid-19 deaths, its President is sulking in the White House over an election he lost fair and square and obstructing the effort by his soon-to-be successor, Joe Biden, to stand up a fight against the fast-worsening pandemic.

President Donald Trump is fixated on his failing, threadbare challenges to the election and is tweet-spreading lies about vote fraud, instead of using his platform and power to confront a once-in-a-century health emergency he falsely assured the nation was all but over. He hasn't appeared at a public event for days and has forbidden any members of his administration to talk to Biden's team. Also, as part of the President's evidence-free quest to challenge the election, his administration is holding up millions of dollars in funding and access mandated by transition laws. Trump White House

• Trump fires director of Homeland Security agency who rejected President's election conspiracy theories
  • Trump team looks to box in Biden on foreign policy by lighting too many fires to put out
  • Trump scores a long-awaited coronavirus win with vaccines on the way
  • MAP: Full election results

Trump's outrageous presidency has conditioned the world to his incessant flouting of the duties of the office and indifference to the national interest. But it is an extraordinary and unprecedented scenario that in the world's oldest democracy, a President is refusing to admit the clear result of an election in which Americans voted to eject him from office. Many of Trump's legal challenges -- in Nevada, Pennsylvania and Michigan -- rest on the idea that isolated problems or unproven claims of fraud should require throwing out hundreds of thousands of legally cast American votes. Read More On Thursday, the Trump campaign dropped its federal lawsuit in Michigan that alleged voting irregularities and had asked the court to stop certification of the votes in Wayne County as two Republican members of the Wayne County Board of Canvassers said they wanted to "rescind" their votes to certify the results from the county. Monica Palmer, one of the GOP board members, told The Washington Post she received a roughly-two minute call from the President on Tuesday and that she felt no pressure to change her vote from him. "I did receive a call from President Trump, late Tuesday evening, after the meeting," Palmer told the Post. "He was checking in to make sure I was safe after hearing the threats and doxing that had occurred." The results of an audit of the balloting in one key state that Biden won, Georgia, are expected to reaffirm Biden's victory on Thursday, further closing off one of the President's implausible routes to staying in power. While legal challenges appear destined to fail, the strategy seems to be to create sufficient fog around the vote that Republican state legislatures may intervene to pick pro-Trump delegations to the Electoral College. If that fails, as is overwhelmingly likely, discrediting the election will at least salve Trump's humiliation and might be political fuel for a future run. That all of this constitutional chicanery is coinciding with a pandemic that Trump ignored, denied and downplayed and is killing many thousands of Americans a week is only adding to the surreal sense of political purgatory in Washington caused by an outgoing President who is putting a bruised ego ahead of the health of hundreds of millions of Americans.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

TᵢG
Professor Principal
1  seeder  TᵢG    4 years ago

To what end other than to cause harm to the USA and further tarnish Trump's legacy?

Gordy327
Professor Expert
1.1  Gordy327  replied to  TᵢG @1    4 years ago

Like a petulant child throwing a tantrum.

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
1.2  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  TᵢG @1    4 years ago

You might be surprised, but I'm not.  This is how Trump rolls.

Split Personality
Professor Guide
1.2.1  Split Personality  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @1.2    4 years ago
  This is how Trump rolls.

trolls jrSmiley_91_smiley_image.gif

TᵢG
Professor Principal
1.2.2  seeder  TᵢG  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @1.2    4 years ago

I am surprised at how far he is taking it when faced with a clear victory by Biden.   This goes beyond narcissism into irrational.    All he can accomplish other than damaging the nation is to further damage his own tarnished legacy.  

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
1.4  Ozzwald  replied to  TᵢG @1    4 years ago
To what end other than to cause harm to the USA and further tarnish Trump's legacy?

Pure spite. 

Trump is nothing more than a spoiled petulant child who has been told NO for the 1st time in his life.  This is his temper tantrum.

evilone
Professor Guide
2  evilone    4 years ago

All I can do is shake my head at the craziness of the legal arguments. Team Trump is running out of both time and arguments.

Gordy327
Professor Expert
2.1  Gordy327  replied to  evilone @2    4 years ago

What kind of rational adult reacts the way Trump is doing?

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
2.1.1  Bob Nelson  replied to  Gordy327 @2.1    4 years ago
What kind of rational adult reacts the way Trump is doing?

The answer is in the question. 

Gordy327
Professor Expert
2.1.2  Gordy327  replied to  Bob Nelson @2.1.1    4 years ago

Indeed.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
2.1.3  Vic Eldred  replied to  Gordy327 @2.1    4 years ago

Al Gore?

Gordy327
Professor Expert
2.1.4  Gordy327  replied to  Vic Eldred @2.1.3    4 years ago

Bad comparison. He conceded.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
2.1.5  seeder  TᵢG  replied to  Vic Eldred @2.1.3    4 years ago

I thought Gore carried things too far.  Trump makes Gore look very noble and statesmanlike by comparison.

Trump continues to be ridiculous and has pushed the envelope of sore presidential loser beyond anything I would have expected ... even from him.

Gordy327
Professor Expert
2.1.7  Gordy327  replied to    4 years ago

After it was determined Bush won. I do not recall Mr. Gore throwing a tantrum over it. 

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
2.1.8  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Gordy327 @2.1.7    4 years ago

Gore just took it on the chin and resumed hunting Man Bear Pig.

Gordy327
Professor Expert
2.1.9  Gordy327  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @2.1.8    4 years ago

He was super serial about it too. Lol

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
2.1.10  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Gordy327 @2.1.9    4 years ago

LOL.  I wasn't sure anyone remembered the MBP thing.  Great Big Gay Al from Southpark reference btw.

Gordy327
Professor Expert
2.1.11  Gordy327  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @2.1.10    4 years ago

I am well versed in some classics. Excelsior! jrSmiley_9_smiley_image.gif

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
2.1.12  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Gordy327 @2.1.11    4 years ago

jrSmiley_13_smiley_image.gif

bugsy
Professor Participates
2.1.13  bugsy  replied to  Gordy327 @2.1.4    4 years ago
He conceded.

Not til December 13th. Trump has until at least that long.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
2.1.14  seeder  TᵢG  replied to  bugsy @2.1.13    4 years ago

If you were Trump, would you continue to blow smoke and refuse to accept defeat when there clearly is no chance of reversing these states?

bugsy
Professor Participates
2.1.15  bugsy  replied to  TᵢG @2.1.14    4 years ago
If you were Trump, would you continue to blow smoke and refuse to accept defeat when there clearly is no chance of reversing these states?

He is only taking Gore's lead and listening to the advice of Hillary. You can't get mad at that.

Gordy327
Professor Expert
2.1.16  Gordy327  replied to  bugsy @2.1.15    4 years ago

Gore and Trump's situations are different. The 2000 election hinged on a very close vote for 1 state to determine the election. Trump is trying to battle multiple states, some of which have officially called it for Biden. Trump has no chance to turn enough states in his favor to alter the outcome of the election. It's over! Trump is just being a sore loser at this point.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
2.1.17  seeder  TᵢG  replied to  bugsy @2.1.15    4 years ago
He is only taking Gore's lead and listening to the advice of Hillary. You can't get mad at that.

You are avoiding my question.

FLYNAVY1
Professor Guide
2.1.18  FLYNAVY1  replied to  bugsy @2.1.15    4 years ago

You're trying to compare coconuts to sweet potatoes Bugsy....... 

All of this while Trump's give a shit approach to current and future Covid infections and deaths goes on.  I care about my neighbors.... and I'm betting you care about yours too. 

bugsy
Professor Participates
2.1.19  bugsy  replied to  Gordy327 @2.1.16    4 years ago
Gore and Trump's situations are different. T

Not really. Both had/have the right to challenge election results. Gore did it in 2000, not conceding until December 13, and Trump is doing it now. It's not December 13th yet.

bugsy
Professor Participates
2.1.20  bugsy  replied to  TᵢG @2.1.17    4 years ago
You are avoiding my question.

I'm not avoiding anything. Both have the right to do what they are doing. There was no path for Gore to win Florida. As a matter of fact, Bush ended up with more votes AFTER the 4 recounts than he did before the recounts started.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
2.1.21  seeder  TᵢG  replied to  bugsy @2.1.19    4 years ago

The difference is that Gore had a very credible chance of reversing the results.   Here there is no realistic chance of reversing the results.

Trump is petulantly denying his defeat and there is nothing to be gained by doing so.   It is strictly negative for him and everyone else.

You see that, right?

bugsy
Professor Participates
2.1.22  bugsy  replied to  FLYNAVY1 @2.1.18    4 years ago
All of this while Trump's give a shit approach to current and future Covid infections and deaths goes on

How do you know he doesn't give a shit?> Are you in the White House or are you just giving opinions laced with feeeeeeelings?

COVID deaths go on because states have rights and Americans choose to do what they are doing. Of they don't want to take personal responsibility, then that's on them, not Trump.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
2.1.23  seeder  TᵢG  replied to  bugsy @2.1.20    4 years ago
There was no path for Gore to win Florida. As a matter of fact, Bush ended up with more votes AFTER the 4 recounts than he did before the recounts started.

Sure there was.   The recounts could have easily shifted to Gore's favor.   They did not, but they certainly could have given how close the election was.

So what would Trump have to do to prevail here in 2020?   Have you ever considered the level of reversals that would be required to give him 270 electoral votes.

To think he has any chance is truly absurd.   

Now, if you think I am wrong, explain to me how Trump, being practical, could legally reverse this election.

bugsy
Professor Participates
2.1.24  bugsy  replied to  TᵢG @2.1.23    4 years ago
The recounts could have easily shifted to Gore's favor.

And they could eventually shift to Trump's favor, but it will be difficult.

If Trump's lawyers can produce good, strong unequivocal evidence that cannot be disputed, then he has a better chance.

Before you ask "where is the proof?", I want to say that I agree with Trump's lawyers to not disclose, right now, their proof because everyone knows that as soon as they do, the media will attack it as already debunked, doxx any of those who gave sworn affidavits (they probably will anyway) and to everything they can to sway public opinion to believe the media is the "all truth".

TᵢG
Professor Principal
2.1.25  seeder  TᵢG  replied to  bugsy @2.1.24    4 years ago
And they could eventually shift to Trump's favor, but it will be difficult.

That is not going to happen.  You must know this by now.

If Trump's lawyers can produce good, strong unequivocal evidence that cannot be disputed, then he has a better chance.

Do you honestly believe there is a snowball's chance in hell of that occurring?    If I happen to buy the lottery ticket that is selected I will win.   That IF represents a condition that is near impossible.

Before you ask "where is the proof?",

Hell, just put forth credible evidence (does not have to be proof) that these lawsuits have credible legs to stand on and that if they were to prevail they would yield 270 electoral votes.   I remain amazed that anyone, today, does not see that Trump has lost and there is no practical, legal path to reverse this.

Bugsy, this is over.   This is beyond crazy over.   It is just mind-blowing that anyone would support Trump's petulant refusal to concede this lost election.

bugsy
Professor Participates
2.1.26  bugsy  replied to  TᵢG @2.1.25    4 years ago

I never said it's not over.

What I am saying that no matter how wrong Trump might be, he has the right to challenge the results, just like democrats were able to in the past...with little harassment.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
2.1.27  seeder  TᵢG  replied to  bugsy @2.1.26    4 years ago
What I am saying that no matter how wrong Trump might be, he has the right to challenge the results, just like democrats were able to in the past...with little harassment.

Yes he has the right to behave like a fool.

Do you think he should?   Would you in his position?

Ender
Professor Principal
2.1.28  Ender  replied to  bugsy @2.1.26    4 years ago
with little harassment

Uh, donald harasses people on a daily basis...

I never get the thinking that he can say as many nasty things as possible, about anyone he wants yet as soon as someone says anything back to him it is harassment....

Gordy327
Professor Expert
2.1.29  Gordy327  replied to  bugsy @2.1.19    4 years ago
Not really.

Yes, really!

Both had/have the right to challenge election results. Gore did it in 2000, not conceding until December 13, and Trump is doing it now. It's not December 13th yet.

Gore had a chance, especially with ONE state that would make all the difference. That was not the case this election. Trump had little chance then, and no chance now.

How do you know he doesn't give a shit?

Have you not been paying attention to what Trump has been saying for months regarding Covid?

Of they don't want to take personal responsibility, then that's on them, not Trump.

And Trump encouraged them, either intentionally or not, to not take responsibility.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
2.2  seeder  TᵢG  replied to  evilone @2    4 years ago

Haven't they already done both?   This is like trying to reverse the results of a played football game with an ending score of 30 to 23.   It is over.

evilone
Professor Guide
2.2.1  evilone  replied to  TᵢG @2.2    4 years ago
This is like trying to reverse the results of a played football game with an ending score of 30 to 23.   It is over.

I picked up a Mega Millions Lotto last week and didn't get the big prize... I WON! I'm going to sue the lotto commission for fraud until they capitulate and award me my multi-million dollars. 

Split Personality
Professor Guide
3  Split Personality    4 years ago

Rudy wants $20K a day to keep failing for Trump.

Didn't he read Michael Cohen's book?  He should have.

devangelical
Professor Principal
3.1  devangelical  replied to  Split Personality @3    4 years ago

rudy will flop when he finds out he's at the bottom of the trump family food chain.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
3.1.1  Trout Giggles  replied to  devangelical @3.1    4 years ago

Why is Rudy even relevant anymore? Barron Cohen (Borat) literally caught him with his hands in his pants

devangelical
Professor Principal
3.1.2  devangelical  replied to  Trout Giggles @3.1.1    4 years ago

he had an excuse that most trumpsters have used and had accepted among themselves

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
3.1.3  Trout Giggles  replied to  devangelical @3.1.2    4 years ago

And they call themselves the Family Values crowd...tsk tsk tsk

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
3.2  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Split Personality @3    4 years ago

Considering that Trump will probably not pay him, Rudy is getting what he is worth.....NOTHING.

Kavika
Professor Principal
4  Kavika     4 years ago

Yesterday the US lost 1848 citizens. It's really a sad day that we have a five-year-old in the White House having a temper tantrum ignoring the devastation the US is dealing with. All the while not allowing the administration pandemic team from working with the incoming Biden team. 

What a useless POS he is. 

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
5  Greg Jones    4 years ago

What should Trmup be doing about Covid now ?

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
5.1  Bob Nelson  replied to  Greg Jones @5    4 years ago

Shutting the country down. 

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
5.1.1  Sean Treacy  replied to  Bob Nelson @5.1    4 years ago

So you want Trump to ignore the Constitution and issue an illegal diktat?

The authoritarians always reveal themselves. 

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
5.1.2  Bob Nelson  replied to  Sean Treacy @5.1.1    4 years ago

Since when has Ignoring the Constitution been a problem for Trump? 

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
5.1.3  Greg Jones  replied to  Bob Nelson @5.1    4 years ago

Yeah right, Bob. Wreck more smaller businesses and put more millions out of work and having people die by suicide, starvation, and hopelessness.  

I'm sure a lot of progressive and liberal Democrats and their families would go along with that plan.

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
5.1.4  Greg Jones  replied to  Bob Nelson @5.1.2    4 years ago

Since when has Ignoring the Constitution been a problem for Trump? 

When has Trump ignored the Constitution?  Give us all the detail please

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
5.1.5  Bob Nelson  replied to  Greg Jones @5.1.3    4 years ago

Trump doesn't care how many die. 

His followers... follow... 

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
5.1.6  Bob Nelson  replied to  Greg Jones @5.1.4    4 years ago

Rip van Winkle? 

Ronin2
Professor Quiet
5.1.7  Ronin2  replied to  Bob Nelson @5.1.5    4 years ago

Neither does Biden. A reality you will be finding out very shortly.

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
5.1.8  Bob Nelson  replied to  Ronin2 @5.1.7    4 years ago

Holy F!! 

I'm accustomed to right-wing wackos justifying crap by claiming that some random liberal has done something similar... but this is the first time I've ever seen someone justify crap by claiming that a liberal will do something...

.... carefully calibrated crystal ball.... 

Tacos!
Professor Guide
5.1.9  Tacos!  replied to  Bob Nelson @5.1    4 years ago
Shutting the country down.

Restrictions have been in place, but new cases are spiking all over the country. It's not clear why that is.

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
5.1.10  Bob Nelson  replied to  Tacos! @5.1.9    4 years ago
It's not clear why that is.

You're joking, right? 

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
5.1.11  Sean Treacy  replied to  Bob Nelson @5.1.2    4 years ago

has Ignoring the Constitution been a problem for Trump? 

Obviously, it's not a problem for you. Remember this the next time you start claiming "democracy is in danger"

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
5.1.12  Bob Nelson  replied to  Sean Treacy @5.1.11    4 years ago

Ah, Sean... 

These must be trying times... 

TᵢG
Professor Principal
5.1.13  seeder  TᵢG  replied to  Tacos! @5.1.9    4 years ago
Restrictions have been in place, but new cases are spiking all over the country. It's not clear why that is.

People are now spending more time indoors.   The sun is less direct and we have fewer hours of sunlight so that the UV protection is lessened.   On top of that, as time goes on people naturally grow laxer in their precautions.

And if the coronavirus is anything like influenza virus', the cooler air makes it easier for a virus to survive.

One thing is certain, the virus spreads mostly by human airborne interaction.    The closer we are unprotected, the more likely we are to spread the virus.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
5.1.14  Trout Giggles  replied to  Sean Treacy @5.1.1    4 years ago

I think given half a chance you would welcome an authoritarian rule, especially one where liberals have no say

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
5.1.15  Sean Treacy  replied to  Bob Nelson @5.1.12    4 years ago

Projecting won't help you bob. You've outed yourself, again, as an anti-democratic authoritarian. 

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
5.1.16  Sean Treacy  replied to  Trout Giggles @5.1.14    4 years ago

LOL. 

You are free to make up whatever crazy things you want and project them on others, I guess. , That's the beauty of this board. Might as well accuse Perrie of pining for Nazi rule.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
5.1.17  Trout Giggles  replied to  Sean Treacy @5.1.16    4 years ago

I didn't even come close to saying anything like that. You've made statements on here that lead me to believe you would welcome trmp as a dictator

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
5.1.18  Bob Nelson  replied to  Sean Treacy @5.1.15    4 years ago

Go for it, Sean! 

jrSmiley_86_smiley_image.gif

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
5.1.19  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  TᵢG @5.1.13    4 years ago

It's not clear why that is.

It is clear to anyone with half of a functioning brain.  Superspreader events, sport team celebrations, marches, protests, mass gatherings, Karens/Darrens, anti maskers, large parties, elected officials doing nothing, and going out when not feeling well are some of the WHY's.

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
5.1.20  Sean Treacy  replied to  Trout Giggles @5.1.17    4 years ago

You've made statements on here that lead me to believe you would welcome trmp as a dictato

Then you must be seeing hidden messages visible only to you in my posts. 

I've never even voted for him. The idea that I'd welcome him, or anyone else, as a dictator is loony tunes. 

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
5.1.21  Trout Giggles  replied to  Sean Treacy @5.1.20    4 years ago

whatever sean

Tacos!
Professor Guide
5.1.22  Tacos!  replied to  Bob Nelson @5.1.10    4 years ago
You're joking, right? 

Not at all. Just this morning, I read this:

L.A. officials are still not sure how or why COVID cases are skyrocketing. It’s a huge handicap

Los Angeles officials in recent days have pleaded with residents to cancel social gatherings and announced   limited hours for businesses   in an effort to counteract a swift rise in coronavirus cases. But the clear messaging belies a murkier reality: They don’t fully understand why so many people are becoming infected.

For months, Angelenos have been   prohibited from exercising inside gyms,   watching movies in theaters and dining indoors at restaurants. It was with these restrictions in place that L.A. County in early October recorded its fewest cases since the spring.

“The irony about right now is we are approaching our worst numbers with the same things open as [when] we … had our best numbers” a few weeks ago, L.A. Mayor Eric Garcetti said this week.

The virus itself hasn’t changed, and there has been little relaxation of the rules. Interviews conducted with people who have recently tested positive for the coronavirus don’t show any significant shifts in behavior compared with a month ago, such as more visits to restaurants or other businesses, said Dr. Jeffrey Gunzenhauser, L.A. County’s chief medical officer.

For the vast majority of people sick with COVID-19 in L.A. County, officials cannot determine where they contracted the virus, he said. This mirrors   national data   showing that fewer than half of people with the virus know where they caught it.

“Very often, these reported places they’ve been, we have no knowledge of other people there being infected. So they don’t know and we don’t know where they got the infection,” Gunzenhauser said. “We certainly wish we had a good answer.”

The data limitations speak to the challenges the COVID-19 pandemic poses for contact tracing, a tried-and-true method that public health departments around the world use to track how an infection spreads. With so many people sick with COVID-19 or infected but showing no symptoms, identifying where someone contracted the virus becomes nearly impossible.

There's more, but hopefully you get the idea. In spite of restrictions, mask wearing, and social distancing, new cases are rocketing upwards and we don't really know why.

Tacos!
Professor Guide
5.1.23  Tacos!  replied to  TᵢG @5.1.13    4 years ago

Those are all possible contributors but we just don't know for sure where the cause and effect is.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
5.1.24  seeder  TᵢG  replied to  Tacos! @5.1.23    4 years ago

Knowing for sure is a high bar Tacos!

Tacos!
Professor Guide
5.1.25  Tacos!  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @5.1.19    4 years ago
It is clear to anyone with half of a functioning brain.

Your personal "common sense" is not science.

Karens/Darrens

Neither is internet bigotry.

Superspreader events, sport team celebrations, marches, protests, mass gatherings . . . large parties, elected officials doing nothing, and going out when not feeling well are some of the WHY's.

They might be contributing, but we don't know in what ways or to what degree. We didn't just start doing those things in late October. In fact, we may be doing them even less than we did in summer.

anti maskers

Is mask wearing on the increase or decrease? How would we know?

This site purports to measure mask wearing , and it appears to my eye to be increasing, not decreasing. Yet cases continue to rise. So maybe masks aren't the significant factor.

Tacos!
Professor Guide
5.1.26  Tacos!  replied to  TᵢG @5.1.24    4 years ago
Knowing for sure is a high bar Tacos!

It is. But if you want to take action that actually has an impact - especially without radically disrupting people's lives - we should strive to be as sure as possible. It's easy to just declare without evidence - as some do - that Behavior X is the big problem. Sanctimony doesn't make it true.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
5.1.27  seeder  TᵢG  replied to  Tacos! @5.1.26    4 years ago

In a pandemic one errs on the side of caution.

It should be obvious at this point that it is smart to keep a social distance from strangers whenever possible.   And when not possible, it is smart to wear a mask, not touch one's face and to keep one's hands clean.

It should also be obvious that certain events (e.g. stadium events, concerts) are inherently high risk factors for infection.   Also, traveling by jet, etc. is still risky given we have no herd immunity.

But in spite of all of our efforts, this virus is going to still infect people until we secure herd immunity.

Tacos!
Professor Guide
5.1.28  Tacos!  replied to  TᵢG @5.1.27    4 years ago
In a pandemic one errs on the side of caution.

I'm a fan of caution, but I'm also a fan of results. Some activities don't appear to make things any worse. Some restrictions seem unnecessary. And then we have this big explosion of cases in spite of restrictions. Scientists are admitting they don't fully understand why the surge is happening. 

So will locking down even more do anything to stem the tide? We don't seem to know. One thing I notice is it's the people who can best tolerate full lockdowns who advocate them most easily.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
5.1.29  seeder  TᵢG  replied to  Tacos! @5.1.28    4 years ago
Some restrictions seem unnecessary.

No doubt.   Clearly we should not go overboard.   This is a complicated problem with a ton of unknowns (still).   People (i.e. governors) will continue to make mistakes as they navigate these unfamiliar waters.

So will locking down even more do anything to stem the tide? We don't seem to know.

We should not lock down everything; that is overkill of course.   The lock downs, if they take place, should be targeted based on the best information we have at the time.

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
5.1.30  Bob Nelson  replied to  Tacos! @5.1.28    4 years ago
 I'm also a fan of results. 

Look at the countries that have done well. Social distancing, masks, and usually lots of closed businesses. 

Otherwise, America, with well over a thousand deaths every day, is looking at a half a million dead before the vaccine gains traction.

But hey! 

Let's obfuscate... 

Tacos!
Professor Guide
5.1.31  Tacos!  replied to  TᵢG @5.1.29    4 years ago
The lock downs, if they take place, should be targeted based on the best information we have at the time.

Today, California has announced that there is a curfew between the hours of 10pm and 5am. This will continue until December 21st. What does this accomplish, I wonder. Is the virus more infectious after 10pm? 

Gordy327
Professor Expert
5.1.32  Gordy327  replied to  Bob Nelson @5.1.30    4 years ago

Many countries like Australia and New Zealand have done quite well in controlling the spread of the virus. However, part of the problem might be people become lax or complacent when positive progress is made. They might think things are under control and it's OK to go back to "business as usual." Unfortunately, that also allows a resurgence in viral spread and infections. So places that were or have gotten it under control now have to deal with a surge all over again.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
5.1.33  seeder  TᵢG  replied to  Tacos! @5.1.31    4 years ago

I have not looked into this so I have nothing to share.

Tacos!
Professor Guide
5.1.34  Tacos!  replied to  TᵢG @5.1.33    4 years ago
I have not looked into this

The thing is, you shouldn't have to look into it. It should be fairly simple for the governor to say we need this curfew because [insert specific reason]. It should be more than just "because there are a lot of new cases."

Even for people who resist wearing masks, they at least have been told why it's important to wear one. There's a logic to it, ya know? I don't really know why staying out past 10pm is a bad thing. Because I have an imagination, I could speculate and invent possible reasons, but why should I have to? Or is that the governor thinks I should just be quiet and trust him? That kind of thing makes me trust him less.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
5.1.35  seeder  TᵢG  replied to  Tacos! @5.1.34    4 years ago

Well, Tacos!, I would never want to try to explain that actions of your Gov Newsom.

One thing that comes to mind is that a 10pm curfew kind of kills any semblance of night life.   So places where people can gather in close proximity like bars are curtailed.   But if that were the objective then a curfew would be a sledgehammer rather than a scalpel.

cjcold
Professor Quiet
5.1.36  cjcold  replied to  Tacos! @5.1.9    4 years ago

It's very clear. Far right wing Trumpists don't wear masks. 

In my little red-neck town, I'm one of the few who wears one.

cjcold
Professor Quiet
5.1.37  cjcold  replied to  cjcold @5.1.36    4 years ago

[Deleted]

igknorantzrulz
PhD Quiet
5.1.38  igknorantzrulz  replied to  cjcold @5.1.37    4 years ago

F only, that person Trumpp shot on 5th avenue...but i don't condone suicide

cjcold
Professor Quiet
5.1.39  cjcold  replied to  igknorantzrulz @5.1.38    4 years ago

We are now both on a watch list. Good thing we're both innocent.

Tacos!
Professor Guide
5.1.40  Tacos!  replied to  cjcold @5.1.36    4 years ago
Far right wing Trumpists don't wear masks.

That's true, but I don't think it explains why a liberal haven like California is currently setting records for new cases.

igknorantzrulz
PhD Quiet
5.1.41  igknorantzrulz  replied to  cjcold @5.1.39    4 years ago
We are now both on a watch list. Good thing we're both innocent.

it's cool, i don't wear a watch

and

ive been known to be guilty of innocense

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
5.1.42  Bob Nelson  replied to  Gordy327 @5.1.32    4 years ago

Exactly. This has happened in France, where the curve was pretty well crushed... and then public laxity let it take off again. The government slammed the doors again, and the situation is looking better.

Europe’s painful virus restrictions seem to be working

New coronavirus case rates are   falling for the first time in months across   Europe after new restrictions were put it place

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
5.1.43  Bob Nelson  replied to  Tacos! @5.1.34    4 years ago

If you climbed out of the Fox Bubble, you'd receive articles from... multiple sources. My RSS aggregator has stuff from at least three sources this morning (French time). 

Of course... this implies that you would be open to reading "bad news for Trump", which I suspect you avoid. 

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
5.1.44  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Tacos! @5.1.9    4 years ago
"Restrictions have been in place, but new cases are spiking all over the country.  It's not clear why that is."

I'll give you two reasons Tacos:

1.  Too many American "patriots" won't allow restrictions to interfere with their God-given individual rights and freedom to IGNORE those restrictions.  Case in point - Trump's huge rallies.

2.   It's TOO FUCKING LATE!!!   Trump knew it was a problem in January when there were few cases and containment was possible, but he didn't want people to panic. (Better that they should die, eh Donnie?)

Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom
Professor Guide
5.1.45  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom  replied to  Greg Jones @5.1.3    4 years ago
Wreck more smaller businesses and put more millions out of work and having people die by suicide, starvation, and hopelessness.

You forgot to add to your list the 2,015 people that died from Covid yesterday.

Quick question, Greg:  Under whose watch is this happening?

Tacos!
Professor Guide
5.1.46  Tacos!  replied to  Bob Nelson @5.1.43    4 years ago

What does any of that nonsense have to do with what I wrote? 

My RSS aggregator has stuff from at least three sources this morning (French time). 

Yes, you're obviously proud of it. I see no reason why I should care, though. Maybe try reading the comment you are responding to.

which I suspect you avoid

You seem to enjoy making assumptions about people. Does that help you disregard their opinions and perspectives without considering them?

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
5.1.47  Bob Nelson  replied to  Tacos! @5.1.46    4 years ago

How often do you leave the Fox Bubble? 

Tacos!
Professor Guide
5.1.48  Tacos!  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @5.1.44    4 years ago
Case in point - Trump's huge rallies.

Is "Trump rallies" your scientific explanation for record breaking new cases in California? I know you don't live here, but do you understand the politics of California? There's not a ton of Trump rallies here, much less "huge" ones. Joe Biden got over 63% of the vote. That's better than he did in about 45 of the other states.

Trump knew it was a problem in January when there were few cases and containment was possible, but he didn't want people to panic.

There are a couple of things you either disregard or don't understand.

First, is that new cases had been declining for months in places like California. Then, suddenly in October, with no change in the virus or in restrictions, cases started going through the roof. You really think that has something to do with a choice Trump made in January? That's not only illogical, it's clearly based on nothing more than your personal political bias.

Second, the United States has dual systems of government. There is a federal (national) government and there are 50 state governments. The federal government is given limited power. And within that limited power, Trump is the head of only one of three co-equal branches of government.

Whatever power has not been specifically granted to the federal government is reserved to the states. So everyday behaviors - like what businesses can be open, how late people can stay out, where they can travel and so on - is not under the authority of Donald Trump. These are state matters.

Tacos!
Professor Guide
5.1.49  Tacos!  replied to  Bob Nelson @5.1.47    4 years ago

I'll answer your dumb question with a question. Have you stopped beating your wife? A simple yes or no will do.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
5.1.50  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Tacos! @5.1.48    4 years ago

You said "it's not clear why that is", I tried to provide you with answers and got blasted for trying to do so.  I should have used the word 'example', rather than 'case in point'.  I stand by my assessment. Your lesson in "division of jurisdiction and powers" is just a THIRD reason why you are experiencing massive numbers.  Now you have three reasons - I'm sure there are more.  

Tacos!
Professor Guide
5.1.51  Tacos!  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @5.1.50    4 years ago
You said "it's not clear why that is"

Yes, but that is not my personal conclusion. It is the conclusion of experts cited in the Los Angeles Times article I linked to @5.1.22. I also copied and pasted a relevant portion of the article.

I tried to provide you with answers and got blasted for trying to do so

Hardly. I have a different point of view and information you clearly did not have. No one is blasting you.

I'm sure there are more

I also believe it is probably a combination of factors. However, the "two" reasons you gave were basically just one: "It's Trump's fault (or his supporters)." That is a simplistic and partisan response to a complicated issue that does not address all the facts.

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
5.1.52  Bob Nelson  replied to  Tacos! @5.1.49    4 years ago
Have you stopped beating your wife? A simple yes or no will do.

Hey! 

I copyrighted that a long time ago. 

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
5.1.53  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Tacos! @5.1.51    4 years ago

Your simplifying my first two reasons by combining them doesn't hold water.  Trump is the POTUS, a person who should be leading and also setting an example.  Those Americans who disdain following the guidelines are NOT Trump, but they are individuals (although Trump's sheep they probably are) who are supposed to have brains in their heads, and are not necessarily following Trump's example or advice to delare demonstratively their, as I said, "god-given sacred individual rights and freedom" to display their individual unbelievably selfish disdain for the collective good.  

I replied to what YOU had said, not what your link had said.  There were no quotation marks to what I replied to. 

evilone
Professor Guide
5.2  evilone  replied to  Greg Jones @5    4 years ago

Give the incoming Biden Covid team access to individuals and data they will need to continue work in progress now.

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
5.2.1  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  evilone @5.2    4 years ago

Trump has done nothing so far in four years other than infecting most of the WH to include his own wife and son, so what makes Greg think he will do anything now with less than 60 days left other than cause the deaths of thousands more.

Gordy327
Professor Expert
5.3  Gordy327  replied to  Greg Jones @5    4 years ago

Meet regularly and have daily briefings with a Civil committee and scientists. He should be reminding people that cases are surging and encourage people to wear masks & social distance. He should tell people that we are all in this together and need to work together to deal with the crisis. He should be attempting to help Biden take over the covid situation and response, rather than being petty & vindictive. You know, all simple things any rational adult would do.

cjcold
Professor Quiet
5.3.1  cjcold  replied to  Gordy327 @5.3    4 years ago

But those things would take an actual president.

Gordy327
Professor Expert
5.3.2  Gordy327  replied to  cjcold @5.3.1    4 years ago
But those things would take an actual president.

Oh right [slaps forehead], silly me. We won't know if we have one of those for a couple more months.

cjcold
Professor Quiet
5.3.3  cjcold  replied to  Gordy327 @5.3.2    4 years ago

Biden had a good teacher.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
5.4  seeder  TᵢG  replied to  Greg Jones @5    4 years ago

How about?:

• Focusing on the logistics of vaccine deployment
  • Helping his supporters understand that this virus is real and to take precautions until we have achieved herd immunity
  • Enabling the Biden team to do its preparation so that they are ready to take the COVID-19 baton

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
5.4.1  Greg Jones  replied to  TᵢG @5.4    4 years ago

Here's some real life facts for you

TᵢG
Professor Principal
5.4.2  seeder  TᵢG  replied to  Greg Jones @5.4.1    4 years ago

What do you conclude from the study?

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
5.4.3  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  TᵢG @5.4    4 years ago

He should not be given any decision as to where the vaccines will go.  He will completely deprive blue states over red states.  He will probably sell much of it to the highest bidder(s) to other countries, most likely to Kim and Putin.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
5.4.4  seeder  TᵢG  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @5.4.3    4 years ago

Biden will be PotUS on Jan 20th so I would not worry that Trump is going to somehow play games with the deployment of the vaccine.   He is currently the PotUS but the PotUS is limited in what s/he can do.   Hell, Trump could not even get reelected, why worry that he will engage in magical levels of corruption as a lame duck?

cjcold
Professor Quiet
5.4.5  cjcold  replied to  TᵢG @5.4.4    4 years ago

Trump being Trump will end badly.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
5.4.6  seeder  TᵢG  replied to  cjcold @5.4.5    4 years ago

Seems to me it already has.

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
5.4.7  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  TᵢG @5.4.4    4 years ago

but the PotUS is limited in what s/he can do.  

Trump never got that memo.

He said that the constitution says "I can do whatever I want as president."

TᵢG
Professor Principal
5.4.8  seeder  TᵢG  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @5.4.7    4 years ago

Trump always tries to push the envelope, but the fact remains that his powers are indeed limited.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
5.4.9  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  TᵢG @5.4.4    4 years ago

What he still COULD do as a lame duck should scare the shit out of everyone - and I'm sure he's considering the possibilities.  As of now he's said that if the Electoral College appoints Biden, he will leave the White House on January 20th, but he has not said that he would not still attempt to sway the Electoral College appointed voters to choose him instead of Biden, and I'm sure he will NEVER concede - in order to maintain the loyalty of his flock of sheep. 

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
5.4.10  sandy-2021492  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @5.4.9    4 years ago
I'm sure he will NEVER concede

It's not necessary for him to do so.  His goose is cooked, whether he admits it or not.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
5.4.11  seeder  TᵢG  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @5.4.9    4 years ago

He will not change the results of the EC.   In the most practical sense, that is impossible.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
5.4.12  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  sandy-2021492 @5.4.10    4 years ago

America should have celebrated their Thanksgiving for the reason that his goose was cooked like their turkeys were. 

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
5.4.13  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  TᵢG @5.4.11    4 years ago

I had read that there possible ways for preventing the EC voters from serving, so that a different political body would provide the vote instead, and that he could try to cause that avenue. 

TᵢG
Professor Principal
5.4.14  seeder  TᵢG  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @5.4.13    4 years ago

Practically speaking, that is impossible at this point.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
5.4.15  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  TᵢG @5.4.14    4 years ago

Well as baseball's famous philosopher said, "It's never over 'till it's over."

TᵢG
Professor Principal
5.4.16  seeder  TᵢG  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @5.4.15    4 years ago

The bottom of the ninth has been played and there is no tie, the winner was certified by the umpires, the teams have returned to their locker rooms.   All that remains is the official certification of the results.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
5.4.17  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  TᵢG @5.4.16    4 years ago

But unfortunately, the winning players on their way home may still find roadblocks that the losing team and its fans put up - like how the Biden bus was stopped on the highway in Texas.

devangelical
Professor Principal
5.5  devangelical  replied to  Greg Jones @5    4 years ago

getting it and spreading it to his house and senate supporters would be at the top of my wish list

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
5.5.1  Greg Jones  replied to  devangelical @5.5    4 years ago

Dumb comment.

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
5.5.2  Sean Treacy  replied to  devangelical @5.5    4 years ago
g it and spreading it to his house and senate supporters would be at the top of my wish lis

[deleted]

cjcold
Professor Quiet
5.5.3  cjcold  replied to  devangelical @5.5    4 years ago

Pretty sure he has already done that

FLYNAVY1
Professor Guide
5.6  FLYNAVY1  replied to  Greg Jones @5    4 years ago

What should Trmup be doing about Covid now ?

R E S I G N !!!!

Give the Biden transition team access to all government available data NOW!

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
6  Greg Jones    4 years ago

Who says he hasn't?

You're distracted by his efforts to show all cheating the Democrats pulled to rig the election.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
6.1  seeder  TᵢG  replied to  Greg Jones @6    4 years ago

Since you wrote a top level comment, you must be directing that question to me (seeder).

Who says he has not what?

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
6.2  Trout Giggles  replied to  Greg Jones @6    4 years ago

Just how did they do that, Greg? And please show evidence not just some stuff you blew out of your nose

Kavika
Professor Principal
6.3  Kavika   replied to  Greg Jones @6    4 years ago
You're distracted by his efforts to show all cheating the Democrats pulled to rig the election.

Thus far he has lost 25 cases. The one case that they are calling a victory was nothing more than confirming another decision that already had been implemented by the state.

At the very best Trump, 1 win 25 losses. 

If anyone is distracted it would be Bunker Boy if the best you can do to date in have a 1 and 25 record you are truly a LOSER.

Split Personality
Professor Guide
6.3.1  Split Personality  replied to  Kavika @6.3    4 years ago
“This morning we are withdrawing our lawsuit in Michigan," Rudy Giuliani, Trump's personal attorney, said in a statement.

Giuliani, the former mayor of New York City, said the decision to rescind the lawsuit is the "direct result of achieving the relief we sought: to stop the election in Wayne County from being prematurely certified before residents can be assured that every legal vote has been counted and every illegal vote has not been counted."

What a crock....

What a lawyer /s

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
6.3.2  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Kavika @6.3    4 years ago

Poor clueless little snowflakes crying "FOUL!  CHEATERS! FRAUD!" when one of the leading snowflakes Graham just pressured a state to throw out Biden votes.

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
6.3.3  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Split Personality @6.3.1    4 years ago

He puts the "criminal" in criminal attorney.

Kavika
Professor Principal
8  Kavika     4 years ago

Yesterday, Thursday, November 19th, 2020 the United States of America recorded 187,833 new COVID19 cases and 2,015 deaths. 

In other news, Trump keeps filing lawsuits to subvert the vote of millions of Americans after losing three more lawsuits yesterday. 

No word from Trump on the devastation the virus is causing.

Gordy327
Professor Expert
8.1  Gordy327  replied to  Kavika @8    4 years ago

No word because he doesn't care.

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
8.2  Bob Nelson  replied to  Kavika @8    4 years ago
No word from Trump on the devastation the virus is causing.

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
8.2.1  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  Bob Nelson @8.2    4 years ago

Why does he need to say something that is painfully obvious to most living breathing citizens who have local and national news/internet reading and listening capabilities?

Gordy327
Professor Expert
8.2.3  Gordy327  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @8.2.1    4 years ago

Perhaps because some people look to the leadership for guidance or reassurance or even just acknowledgement of what's going on? But then, given his poor response to Covid, Trump is not the type of leader to look to for any of those things.

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
8.2.4  sandy-2021492  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @8.2.1    4 years ago

Perhaps to counter his earlier downplaying of the virus and its effects.  Heading into the holiday season, it would be wise for him to discourage large gatherings for dinner and black Friday shopping.  For some reason, some of his followers still think he's worth listening to.  Perhaps he could have a positive effect on their holiday plans.

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
8.2.5  Bob Nelson  replied to  sandy-2021492 @8.2.4    4 years ago

He could have done that for Thanksgiving. He didn't.

Let's try to get this into our skulls:

Donald Trump does not

give a flying fuck

how many Americans die!

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
8.2.6  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  Bob Nelson @8.2.5    4 years ago

Unadulterated, unfounded bullshit Bob.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
8.2.7  Vic Eldred  replied to  Bob Nelson @8.2.5    4 years ago

Bob, you'll have to make an argument rather than plastering your opinion. 

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
8.2.8  Bob Nelson  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @8.2.6    4 years ago

A quarter-million dead. Well over a thousand dying every day. We hear nothing from the President.

Is he lending a hand to specialists, to inform the American people about what to do?  ...  No.

Is he visiting hospitals to show his solidarity with the dying?  ...  No.

His indifference to the plight of the American people is right before your eyes.

But of course... your Faith in your god-Trump is so much more important than what you see with your own eyes...

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
8.2.9  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  Gordy327 @8.2.3    4 years ago
Perhaps because some people look to the leadership for guidance or reassurance or even just acknowledgement of what's going on

Perhaps "some" should put on their big boy pants and take responsibility for their own actions or lack thereof. Why in the holy hell wait for GovCo to tell them what to do? It's called common sense and not being a sheep .........................

FLYNAVY1
Professor Guide
8.2.10  FLYNAVY1  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @8.2.6    4 years ago

Total denial to the truth that Bob speaks to on your part Jim.

Trump doesn't care because he is focused on trying to overturn the results of a free and fair election that he lost.  How many ton of brick need to fall on you to admit the to both of these truths?

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
8.2.11  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  Bob Nelson @8.2.8    4 years ago
so much more important than what you see with your own eyes...

That's the point. I fucking see it with my own eyes..........as do millions of other Americans. He pushed for a speedy vaccine and it is surely available within weeks. And prove he is indifferent. You can't. 

Is he lending a hand to specialists, to inform the American people about what to do?  ...  No.

How in the hell does he lend a hand? The specialists are all over the news both here and abroad. There should be no "reinforcement" necessary for those who think for themselves.

And risk possibly getting it again or possibly, since he had it already, perhaps he could spread it. I feel for all of those who have lost loved ones. A lot. But reinforcement is only as good as those who heed it.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
8.2.12  Vic Eldred  replied to  FLYNAVY1 @8.2.10    4 years ago

Vaccine coming in weeks.

Donald Trump did that, not the dumb ass president-elect!

Gordy327
Professor Expert
8.2.13  Gordy327  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @8.2.9    4 years ago

The problem is, many people do lack common sense and many are sheep, as we see with many Trump supporters hanging on to or parroting his every word. And because people lack common sense or personal responsibility, they pose a risk to themselves and others. A competant leader can at least direct or inspire people to do what is necessary.

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
8.2.14  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  FLYNAVY1 @8.2.10    4 years ago
Trump doesn't care because he is focused on trying to overturn the results of a free and fair election that he lost.  How many ton of brick need to fall on you to admit the to both of these truths?

Don't need any bricks. Save them for distribution to the next Antifa BLM riots.

Ever hear of multi-tasking? It means one can concentrate on more than one thing at a time. You, I, or ANY of us know NOT what he thinks and the goings on within the confines of the White House and within the DHHS behind closed doors.

Focus Pocus....................

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
8.2.15  Bob Nelson  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @8.2.11    4 years ago

OK, Jim...

I'm done.

You demonstrated that your faith in the god-Trump blinds you to reality. That's what I wanted. You delivered.

Gordy327
Professor Expert
8.2.16  Gordy327  replied to  Vic Eldred @8.2.12    4 years ago

No, scientists did that. Our anti science president had little to do with it.

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
8.2.17  Bob Nelson  replied to  Vic Eldred @8.2.12    4 years ago
Donald Trump did that...

Actually... the drug companies did it.

Trump had  nothing to do with it.

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
8.2.18  sandy-2021492  replied to  Bob Nelson @8.2.8    4 years ago

Honestly, considering his past performances in medical settings, refusing to mask, it's probably best he doesn't visit hospitals.

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
8.2.19  Greg Jones  replied to  Bob Nelson @8.2.8    4 years ago

Your outrage is phony.

Show us some Democrats who care

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
8.2.20  Bob Nelson  replied to  sandy-2021492 @8.2.18    4 years ago

... his past failures justify his present failures...

exhausted.gif

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
8.2.21  sandy-2021492  replied to  Vic Eldred @8.2.12    4 years ago
Donald Trump did that

No, he didn't.  Scientists did.  Credit goes to the researchers at Pfizer and Moderna, not to a politician who wouldn't know a test tube from a beaker and suggested injecting disinfectant.

Trump's administration has consistently worked against the scientists fighting this pandemic - from Trump and his staff refusing to wear masks or social distance (remember the super-spreader event in the Rose Garden?) to undermining state governors' attempts to limit spread.

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
8.2.22  Bob Nelson  replied to  Greg Jones @8.2.19    4 years ago

Holy F, Greg!

Is it too much to ask, that the fucking President of the fucking USA gives the example?

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
8.2.23  Vic Eldred  replied to  Gordy327 @8.2.16    4 years ago
No, scientists did that.

Only after the red tape was cut and the partnership between government & science was formed.

Yes sir, Donald Trump did that!

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
8.2.24  Vic Eldred  replied to  Bob Nelson @8.2.17    4 years ago

Wrong again, Bob.

Operation warp speed cut the red tape, coordinated and allocated the necessary funds to get it done at the unheard of time table of months rather than years.

Selfless leadership under fire. Who else was going to do it?

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
8.2.25  Vic Eldred  replied to  sandy-2021492 @8.2.21    4 years ago

No Sandy, it was operation Warp Speed. In a matter of weeks I'll be getting a vaccine.

Thank you President Trump!

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
8.2.26  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  Bob Nelson @8.2.15    4 years ago
You demonstrated that your faith in the god-Trump blinds you to reality. That's what I wanted. You delivered.

Seems to me you are the one assigning God to this. Right there says people NEED to hear it from Trump alone. I, my friend, am not blinded whatsoever. Your blindness to see what is right in front of your face is on full display. Your need to blame someone besides the American, and for that matter world, citizenry for their lack of understanding. Do you know anything of the Middle Eastern countries under dictatorship rule? Just as in Iraq, and Libya and several others, those people have been controlled for so long that they don't know what the hell to do unless they are told. That is why Democracy will not sink in for generations to come. I do NOT want to stand by and let this country slide into that same abyss that you seem to think is necessary.

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
8.2.27  Greg Jones  replied to  Gordy327 @8.2.13    4 years ago

A competant leader can at least direct or inspire people to do what is necessary.

If they don't know what to do or how to act  by now, they don't care. [deleted]

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
8.2.28  sandy-2021492  replied to  Vic Eldred @8.2.25    4 years ago
In a matter of weeks I'll be getting a vaccine.

How many weeks?  I can express a year in terms of weeks, you know.  Attempts to make an elapsed period of time seem short by expressing it in "weeks" are transparent.

And Trump still didn't make a single vial of vaccine.  Actually, I'm glad he's kept out of labs.  His little stunt of refusing to mask when touring a lab producing cotton swabs for Covid-19 tests, thereby rendering them all useless, set back testing efforts.

You're giving credit to the wrong guy, here, Vic.  Scientists deserve your thanks.

And Pfizer, one of the companies whose vaccine is promising, was not part of Operation Warp Speed.

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
8.2.29  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  Greg Jones @8.2.19    4 years ago
Show us some Democrats who care

Not even in Congress. Pelosi and company are bickering over bullshit funding of pet projects to go along with the relief bills. If they gave a shit they wouldn't be holding up every aspect of said relief. Trump himself even TOLD them to break the wants and needs down to simpler, more definitive pieces and he would sign it as soon as it landed on his desk. But they want to play games. Agree that both sides, to an extent, are to blame as Senate wants less but the House wants more. They don't give a fuck about real relief. They, themselves except for political posturing and reasons, don't feel the personal need. 

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
8.2.30  Greg Jones  replied to  Bob Nelson @8.2.22    4 years ago

Do you honesty think people give a shit about what a president thinks?

Wait until old weak Biden starts gaffing

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
8.2.31  Greg Jones  replied to  sandy-2021492 @8.2.28    4 years ago
And Pfizer, one of the companies whose vaccine is promising, was not part of Operation Warp Speed.

So what!

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
8.2.32  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  sandy-2021492 @8.2.28    4 years ago

As far as development, you're correct. But if you don't think that a $1.95 billion carrot hanging out there drove them to dive in, you are probably sorely mistaken.

"In July, Pfizer got a $1.95 billion deal with the government’s Operation Warp Speed, the multiagency effort to rush a vaccine to market, to deliver 100 million doses of the vaccine. The arrangement is an advance-purchase agreement, meaning that the company won’t get paid until they deliver the vaccines. Pfizer did not accept federal funding to help develop or manufacture the vaccine, unlike front-runners Moderna and AstraZeneca."

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
8.2.33  sandy-2021492  replied to  Greg Jones @8.2.31    4 years ago

Excellent response, Greg.

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
8.2.34  sandy-2021492  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @8.2.32    4 years ago

So, what was the impetus for other companies developing vaccines, such as Pfizer?  Who gets credit for their vaccines?  Their stockholders?

I guess you can all thank each other.  Operation Warp Speed was funded with taxpayer money.  If we're going to skip over the scientists, and give credit instead to those providing funding, well, then, I'll accept your thanks.  I made the vaccine, since I paid for it (along with you, of course).  Thanks, and you're welcome.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
8.2.35  Vic Eldred  replied to  sandy-2021492 @8.2.28    4 years ago

Let me start with that. I know that as soon as Pfizer announced that they were ready to request emergency approval, the Times & Post set out to deny Trump the credit he deserved:

"The Times quoted Kathrin Jansen, the head of vaccine development at Pfizer as saying, “We have never taken money from the US government or from anyone,” and then went on to claim Pfizer was never a part of Operation Warp Speed. 

"As NPR reported in July , the government reached a deal for nearly two billion dollars to help distribute the vaccine. Pfizer’s own  press release  in July announced that the U.S. government placed an initial order of 100 million doses for $1.95 billion. No money went specifically into the vaccine’s research and development, but Pfizer absolutely did take government money, and was forced to walk back Jansen’s statement.

In an update to their story,   Newsweek   provided this key clarification, “This page has been updated to clarify Jansen’s comments following further details from a Pfizer spokesperson. The spokesperson clarified that its vaccine is linked to Operation Warp Speed , though its research and development has not taken funding from the federal government. The headline was also updated for clarity.”

Now this

How many weeks?

A few as opposed to the year/years it normally takes!

BTW Pfizer had to have known before the election how effective their vaccine was.  We tried to tell our readers what would happen.

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
8.2.36  Bob Nelson  replied to  sandy-2021492 @8.2.28    4 years ago

It amazes me that anyone could think that Big Pharma would not be going for a vaccine as fast as possible, regardless of what any government might do.

The vaccine will mean tens or hundreds of billions in profits. 

Does anyone really think that a Buck Rodgers comic-book label - "operation Warp Speed", for God's sake! - would make Big Pharma move faster to collect the Big Bucks??

Jeez!

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
8.2.37  sandy-2021492  replied to  Vic Eldred @8.2.35    4 years ago

So, Pfizer wasn't part of Operation Warp Speed, but, like any other company, will sell its product for money to the US government after having developed it without government funding.  And credit for that goes to Trump how?  Does buying something give one credit for having developed it?

Quite the stretch.

"A few" is still a relative term, Vic.  Truth is, you don't know when you'll be getting the vaccine.  Neither do I.  And neither does Trump.  But he, like you, would like for the time to seem as short as possible, so he can appear to have been a success, while riding others' coattails.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
8.2.38  Trout Giggles  replied to  Vic Eldred @8.2.35    4 years ago

Who is the we in your last sentence?

I will give the trmp administration credit for getting money to Big Pharma to get a move on the vaccine development. 

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
8.2.39  Vic Eldred  replied to  sandy-2021492 @8.2.37    4 years ago
So, Pfizer wasn't part of Operation Warp Speed

It was definitely linked to it. 

And credit for that goes to Trump how?

Cutting the red tape and paving the way.

"A few" is still a relative term, Vic.  Truth is, you don't know when you'll be getting the vaccine.  Neither do I.  And neither does Trump.

But you know very well that the FDA will act quickly and as long as I get it before Jan 21st I'll consider it an enormous achievement. One that was fostered by the man you hate!

I only hope I get past the next few weeks without contracting the China virus.

BTW: FDA approval could come as early as TODAY!

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
8.2.40  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  sandy-2021492 @8.2.34    4 years ago
Operation Warp Speed was funded with taxpayer money.

At whose direction?....................Oh and thanks and you're welcome back.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
8.2.41  Vic Eldred  replied to  Trout Giggles @8.2.38    4 years ago
Who is the we in your last sentence?

A few of our Conservative Ladies as I recall and Oh ya, me. Some did mention how the vaccine announcement would probably be made after the election.

I will give the trmp administration credit for getting money to Big Pharma to get a move on the vaccine development. 

And cutting the red tape?

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
8.2.42  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  sandy-2021492 @8.2.28    4 years ago
How many weeks?
AAxYqqB.img?h=24&w=24&m=6&q=60&o=f&l=f&f=png When will Pfizer’s coronavirus vaccine be ready to ship?
Pfizer and BioNTech announced on Friday that they were submitting an emergency use authorization request to the FDA for its coronavirus  vaccine. If it’s approved, which the companies believe will be by mid-December, when will it be ready to ship for distribution?

According to Friday’s press release , the answer is “within hours after authorization.”

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
8.2.43  Vic Eldred  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @8.2.42    4 years ago

Approval could come TODAY

TᵢG
Professor Principal
8.2.44  seeder  TᵢG  replied to  Vic Eldred @8.2.41    4 years ago
And cutting the red tape?

Trump, as current PotUS, gets credit (and blame) for what occurs on his watch.   He thus gets credit for the quick development of a vaccine.

But all a PotUS can do in this regard is knock down barriers so that the drug company scientists are best enabled to develop a vaccine.   So let's be clear on credit:

• Trump gets credit for enabling the scientists to do their jobs
  • Scientists get credit for their hard work (and brilliance) in solving the biochemical problem of COVID-19 with a vaccine
  • Drug companies get credit for managing the efforts of the scientists (although clearly they were motivated to do this anyway)

Nothing to argue about.

Note, by the way, that Trump was highly motivated to find a vaccine for political reasons.   Having a vaccine helps him politically and that is all that a narcissist needs to pursue an initiative.   Maybe Trump also has some shred of empathy too and that would motivate him to pursue a vaccine as well.   But given the way this guy thinks (as evidenced by the past four years) there is very little doubt in my mind that his uber-primary motivation for the vaccine initiative was because having one benefited him personally.   This, now, is just my opinion but I am confident I am seeing this correctly.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
8.2.45  Vic Eldred  replied to  TᵢG @8.2.44    4 years ago

I think those are all valid points. I never said Trump gets all the credit, just his share.

Others think he should get more:

Geraldo Rivera floats naming COVID-19 vaccine "the Trump" http:// hill.cm/rIU0QmR

EnR2PaSXEAAU3HK?format=png&name=small

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
8.2.46  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @8.2.29    4 years ago

Here's the caring....................

AABiMXu.img?h=24&w=24&m=6&q=60&o=f&l=f&f=png Congress heads home for Thanksgiving without pandemic relief deal
Congress will head home for a week-long Thanksgiving holiday recess without passing any sort of compromise coronavirus  relief bill as the U.S. death toll passes 250,000 and millions of Americans remain on unemployment
But there is some hope that renewed talks could see some sort of coronavirus relief aid in the coming weeks even with little time remaining on the legislative calendar before the end of the year.

JBB
Professor Principal
8.2.47  JBB  replied to  Vic Eldred @8.2.45    4 years ago

Geraldo also promoted Al Capone's empty safe.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
8.2.48  Vic Eldred  replied to  JBB @8.2.47    4 years ago

He said call it "the Trump vaccine" so he must be smeared - Yup!

Split Personality
Professor Guide
8.2.49  Split Personality  replied to  Vic Eldred @8.2.25    4 years ago

another prediction?

SMH

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
8.2.50  Vic Eldred  replied to  Split Personality @8.2.49    4 years ago

It was a warning. It just turned out to be spot on!

It sucks being right all the time.

BTW, that was a good second thought.  

TᵢG
Professor Principal
8.2.51  seeder  TᵢG  replied to  Vic Eldred @8.2.45    4 years ago
I never said Trump gets all the credit, just his share.

My comment really applies to the thread.    These discussions tend to go to extremes and we miss the common-sense objective facts.

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
8.2.52  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Bob Nelson @8.2    4 years ago

He hasn't said anything except for "It is what it is."  and that the CV affects virtually nobody.

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
8.2.53  sandy-2021492  replied to  Vic Eldred @8.2.45    4 years ago
Geraldo Rivera floats naming COVID-19 vaccine "the Trump"

Oh, well, now I'm convinced.  Almost.  I guess I'd be actually convinced if Jerry Springer weighed in.

Split Personality
Professor Guide
8.2.54  Split Personality  replied to  Vic Eldred @8.2.12    4 years ago

Capitalism and self preservation are the driving factors.

Butt, Trump did give the drug companies the largest pool of sick people to research

nicely packed within our borders.

Split Personality
Professor Guide
8.2.55  Split Personality  replied to  Vic Eldred @8.2.43    4 years ago

Another prediction?

Split Personality
Professor Guide
8.2.56  Split Personality  replied to  Vic Eldred @8.2.50    4 years ago
It was a warning. It just turned out to be spot on!
It sucks being right all the time.

Reality says you are not right all the time, not even close.

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
8.2.57  sandy-2021492  replied to  Vic Eldred @8.2.41    4 years ago

As far as "cutting red tape" - how much of that "red tape" relates to actually requiring safety and efficacy?  At this point, any vaccine can only be said to be effective in the short term.  We won't and can't know if it's effective long-term for years.

Trump gets partial credit for funding vaccine research.  Not for actually making the vaccine, and certainly not for taking coronavirus seriously.  He's not the hero in this.  His words and actions have hindered slowing the spread.  On the whole, he has had a negative rather than positive role.

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
8.2.58  sandy-2021492  replied to  Vic Eldred @8.2.48    4 years ago
smeared

Reporting actual facts about him - a story he mistakenly hyped to a great extent himself, is a smear?  Trump seems to use that same incorrect definition.  Sad that some folks buy into it.

Split Personality
Professor Guide
8.2.59  Split Personality  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @8.2.42    4 years ago

sorry, more red tape still in place.

But shots won't be available right when the EUA application is submitted to the FDA, nor immediately after it is granted. Rather, following submission, drugmakers and federal health regulators must complete a series of actions before a vaccine is finally released to the public.

First, the EUA application will be reviewed by a group of advisors to the FDA called the Vaccines and Related Biological Products Advisory Committee, or VRBPAC . This group is scheduled to meet on Dec. 8, 9 and 10, sources told CNBC , and will likely review Pfizer's application .

VRBPAC members are not employed by the FDA. They are independent experts, including scientists, physicians, infectious diseases experts and a consumer representative.

Then it will likely go to health workers first, then teachers before Pfizer ( 2 shots, extreme difficulty with cold storage)

runs out. 

By then Moderna should be available ( one shot, easier cold storage ).

Then the other 180 vaccines might catch up

but it will take up to a year to vaccinate the USA and possibly 3 years to vaccinate the whole world, sort of.

The Salk vaccine came out in the early 1950's and we still have wild polio in a few countries.

Be very cautious of over optimism.

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
8.2.60  Bob Nelson  replied to  Split Personality @8.2.59    4 years ago
Then the other 180 vaccines might catch up

But... but... but... Warp Speed... 

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
8.2.61  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  Split Personality @8.2.59    4 years ago

Pfizer is bringing its leading in-house manufacturing capabilities to this effort, with the ability and experience to quickly scale, manufacture and distribute large quantities of vaccine at high quality, leveraging multiple sites in the U.S. and Europe, and complementing the mRNA manufacturing expertise of BioNTech, gained over almost a decade. Pfizer and BioNTech’s combined manufacturing network has the potential to supply up to 50 million doses globally in 2020
When will Pfizer’s coronavirus vaccine be ready to ship?
Pfizer and BioNTech announced on Friday that they were submitting an emergency use authorization request to the FDA for its   coronavirus    vaccine.   If it’s approved, which the companies believe will be by mid-December,   when will it be ready to ship for distribution?
According to Friday’s press release   , the answer is   “within hours after authorization.”

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
8.2.62  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  sandy-2021492 @8.2.53    4 years ago

Rivera....You are not the father.  What you are is a mutha.

Split Personality
Professor Guide
8.2.63  Split Personality  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @8.2.61    4 years ago

Your point JJ?

Pfizer's requires extreme frozen storage for which the infrastructure is scarce.

Pfizers vaccine is 2 shots required.

So does that mean the $2 billion contract for 100 million doses they were awarded ( no bid )

will cover 100 million people or just 50 million? 

50 million in 2020 or 25 million in the remaining 41 days of 2020 is an impossibilty

( not that someone won't claim its done )

Especially if VBRPAC has it's hearings.

Now where will Pfizer be shipping to?

Various military sites and hospitals that have super cold storage.

Remember the PPE pissing wars between the states and the Feds?

Starting all over again over deep freezers...

Rural areas?  Forget it.

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
8.2.65  sandy-2021492  replied to    4 years ago

So, Trump didn't make the vaccine, correct?

TᵢG
Professor Principal
8.2.67  seeder  TᵢG  replied to  Kathleen @8.2.66    4 years ago

Yes, I fully agree that getting the vaccine out is clearly the most important factor.

But we were discussing motives and credit.   So when discussing motives and credit it is appropriate to ... discuss motives and credit.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
8.2.69  Vic Eldred  replied to  sandy-2021492 @8.2.53    4 years ago

He wasn't trying to convince anyone, giving the vaccine that name might just be the right thing to do.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
8.2.70  Vic Eldred  replied to  sandy-2021492 @8.2.58    4 years ago
Reporting actual facts about him - a story he mistakenly hyped to a great extent himself, is a smear? 

It is a smear and it was used to diminish Rivera specifically because he wanted to name the vaccine after the man who helped get it ready in record time. Those would be the facts Sandy.  Calling people names never by itself equates to truth, especially something as emotionally charged as the perceptions involving someone as controversial as Donald Trump.

Many thought it was a miracle that the vaccine would be ready by the end of the year. Somebody who wants to highlight that feat shouldn't be disparaged for it.

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
8.2.71  sandy-2021492  replied to  Vic Eldred @8.2.70    4 years ago

It was a fact about Rivera's history.  He hyped the vault.  The vault was empty.  It played out on national television with Rivera's enthusiastic participation. 

Nobody called anybody a name, here, Vic.  But if that bothers you, you may wish to mention it to Trump himself, as he seems quite fond of doing so.  You wouldn't want folks to think you hold some folks to higher standards than others for political reasons, would you?

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
8.2.72  sandy-2021492  replied to  Vic Eldred @8.2.69    4 years ago
He wasn't trying to convince anyone

No, you're trying to use his opinion to support your own.  The opinion of a former tabloid TV show host doesn't hold much weight with most people.

Split Personality
Professor Guide
8.2.73  Split Personality  replied to  Vic Eldred @8.2.70    4 years ago
Calling people names never by itself equates to truth, especially something as emotionally charged as the perceptions involving someone as controversial as Donald Trump.

Says the man who routinely calls the previous POTUS a POS.

Irony, meet your equal.

cjcold
Professor Quiet
8.2.74  cjcold  replied to  Vic Eldred @8.2.12    4 years ago

I'll believe it when I see it. Since Trump's every word is a lie.....

TᵢG
Professor Principal
8.2.75  seeder  TᵢG  replied to  cjcold @8.2.74    4 years ago

Nobody has ever lied as well as Trump.   He has the best lies. 

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
8.2.77  Vic Eldred  replied to  sandy-2021492 @8.2.71    4 years ago
It was a fact about Rivera's history. 

And it was mentioned to diminish what was a noble idea that Rivera offered up. Time for you to admit what goes on here.

Nobody called anybody a name, here, Vic.

He and you just called Rivera a fraud - because neither of you liked his gesture. Oh, that's right, he didn't do it specifically, but not so subtly either.

Every one of you will be called out for it. That's the way it is.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
8.2.78  Vic Eldred  replied to  sandy-2021492 @8.2.72    4 years ago
No, you're trying to use his opinion to support your own. 

To the contrary - I said Others think he should get more

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
8.2.79  Vic Eldred  replied to  Split Personality @8.2.73    4 years ago
Says the man who routinely calls the previous POTUS a POS.

Not routinely, probably once. I suppose to an Obama lover it seems like I did it a lot. If you didn't have individuals being allowed to call the current President names 24/7, I might not have to stoop to their level.  Did you ever think of that?  Maybe it's time to leave our personal bias at the door and raise the level of conversation around here?  It's only been 4 years of hateful vitriol.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
8.2.80  Vic Eldred  replied to  cjcold @8.2.74    4 years ago

I doubt it.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
8.2.81  Vic Eldred  replied to  TᵢG @8.2.75    4 years ago
Nobody has ever lied as well as Trump.  

I beg to differ.

Trump colluding with Russia and Michael Brown surrendering were the two biggest lies of the past decade as far as I'm concerned.

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
8.2.82  sandy-2021492  replied to  Vic Eldred @8.2.77    4 years ago

A "noble idea".  Thanks for the chuckle, Vic.  I needed that.  Pandering and fawning are "noble".  Obsequiousness is "noble".

What have some of us become?

I didn't call him a fraud.  He mistakenly hyped the vault story.  He also gloried in a genre that promoted sleaze and violence. If his credibility isn't what he would like for it to be, he has only himself to blame.

Those who repeatedly put words in the mouths of others should take note.

Kavika
Professor Principal
8.2.84  Kavika   replied to  Vic Eldred @8.2.81    4 years ago
Trump colluding with Russia and Michael Brown surrendering were the two biggest lies of the past decade as far as I'm concerned.

Not even close. Trump is the Liar King and his insistence that he won the presidential election (as recently as yesterday) is the whopper of all time. His ongoing claims that there is massive voter fraud, dead people voting, and machines changing votes is right up there with the rest of his BS. 

TᵢG
Professor Principal
8.2.85  seeder  TᵢG  replied to  Vic Eldred @8.2.81    4 years ago
I beg to differ.

You missed the humor?  I combined language patterns used by Trump to make a Trump-like statement.

Trump: Nobody has more respect for women than I do.+ Trump:“I know words. I have the best words.” 
Nobody has ever lied as well as Trump.   He has the best lies. 

That established, and seriously now, Trump is by far the most prolific liar I have observed in my lifetime.

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
8.2.86  Bob Nelson  replied to    4 years ago

Gee...

I distinctly remember Obama on TV, recounting how he personally slit Bin Laden's throat. ... or maybe not...

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
8.2.87  Greg Jones  replied to  Split Personality @8.2.54    4 years ago

Butt, Trump did give the drug companies the largest pool of sick people to research

nicely packed within our borders.

An unsupported accusation, lacking any credible evidence.

Kavika
Professor Principal
8.2.88  Kavika   replied to  Greg Jones @8.2.87    4 years ago
An unsupported accusation, lacking any credible evidence.

Actually, it's quite well supported by anyone that can read. There have been over 12,000,000 COVID19 cases in the US. That's quite the pool to draw from.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
8.2.89  Vic Eldred  replied to    4 years ago

The legacy media organizations like the New York Times, that did so much injury to their own reputations over Donald Trump, will now wither and die. Their circulation was tied to the Trump hating left who loved reading the resistance pieces. There won't be much interest in such a tool any more.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
8.2.90  Vic Eldred  replied to  TᵢG @8.2.85    4 years ago
You missed the humor?  I combined language patterns used by Trump to make a Trump-like statement.

I think I got ya now.

Wouldn't he have used a better, more ultimate superlative, like I'm the greatest liar in the history of mankind?

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
8.2.91  Vic Eldred  replied to  sandy-2021492 @8.2.82    4 years ago
Those who repeatedly put words in the mouths of others should take note.

Oh I see, he is mistake prone and that's the reason his every thought can be dismissed.  Got it!

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
8.2.92  sandy-2021492  replied to  Vic Eldred @8.2.91    4 years ago

No, I'm fairly sure that those who put words in the mouths of others, as continues to be done here, are well aware of what they are doing.  It's not a mistake.  It's willfully done.  It just doesn't net the results they want, and calls into question their credibility, especially when they continue to use the tactic after it's pointed out.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
8.2.93  Vic Eldred  replied to  sandy-2021492 @8.2.92    4 years ago

We have you on record now as calling the Chicago vault debacle a mistake. Please tell us how Rivera making a mistake discredits his idea of naming the vaccine after the President who sped up it's development?

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
8.2.94  sandy-2021492  replied to  Vic Eldred @8.2.93    4 years ago

I really don't think you're following the conversation here, but ok. 

The vault debacle was a mistake because it was, as you said, a debacle.  He hyped it too much, and it made him look silly.  He didn't deliver the goods.  But that is hardly the only mistake he made in his "journalistic" career that would call into question his credibility.  His show was the National Enquirer of daytime television.  The sleazier, the better.  He played to the lowest common denominator for years.  And now he reaps the results of that.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
8.2.95  Vic Eldred  replied to  sandy-2021492 @8.2.94    4 years ago

At least I was able to get you to the point of admitting what you were doing. Now you've added "His show was the National Enquirer of daytime television." Is that another "mistake?" Either way, after taking us all around the Mulberry bush, you are basically discrediting Rivera from voicing what many would consider a logical & valid opinion.

Thank you.

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
8.2.96  sandy-2021492  replied to  Vic Eldred @8.2.95    4 years ago

What you said I was doing was namecalling - you specifically said I called him a fraud.  I have not.  I called his action a mistake (not the only one he made) that harmed his credibility.  Saying I'm doing something I'm demonstrably not doing also calls into question credibility.

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
8.2.97  Bob Nelson  replied to  sandy-2021492 @8.2.92    4 years ago
It's not a mistake. It's willfully done. 

I agree. Moreover, these misquotes are often intentional, to purposely misrepresent.

NT could stop this, by requiring direct citations, with links. 

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
8.2.98  sandy-2021492  replied to  Bob Nelson @8.2.97    4 years ago
Moreover, these misquotes are often intentional, to purposely misrepresent.

Of course they are.  Some folks don't like being called on them, either.  Or try to pretend to be oblivious to having been called on them.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
8.2.99  Vic Eldred  replied to  sandy-2021492 @8.2.96    4 years ago
What you said I was doing was namecalling - you specifically said I called him a fraud. 

I said it with this qualifier:  "Oh, that's right, he didn't do it specifically, but not so subtly either."  Don't forget you took on somebody else's argument. Recently you just added  "His show was the National Enquirer of daytime television."  How should we interpret that?  You absolutely discredited Rivera, whether you want to go with your specific claim that he made a "mistake" or the implication both you and your friend made. The undeniable fact remains that Rivera offered a reasonable opinion and you tried to dismiss it with an attack on Rivera. Maybe it's time to simply admit it?

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
8.2.100  sandy-2021492  replied to  Vic Eldred @8.2.99    4 years ago

Produce a quote, Vic, or you're just spinning your wheels and killing your own credibility here.  

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
8.2.101  Vic Eldred  replied to  sandy-2021492 @8.2.100    4 years ago

It's not my credibility that's on the line. Somebody should have at least set an example here when it came to smearing public figures. I know it's allowed, but it has been seriously abused. I like to think that NT is better than that.

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
8.2.102  sandy-2021492  replied to  Vic Eldred @8.2.101    4 years ago
It's not my credibility that's on the line.

Of course it is.  You're the one who repeatedly puts words in others' mouths, while being unable to support your assertions.  It's a tactic you've used with me before, and been called on.  Continuing to use that tactic weakens your argument, because it calls into question your credibility.

Bet you really wish you could lock this discussion, don't ya?

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
8.2.103  Vic Eldred  replied to  sandy-2021492 @8.2.102    4 years ago
Bet you really wish you could lock this discussion, don't ya?

Save that for your buddies.  Ya, this is when you get personal.

My case has been made. You need a DC jury or maybe the Simpson jury to get out of this one.

sitting_in_a_hole.jpg

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
8.2.104  sandy-2021492  replied to  Vic Eldred @8.2.103    4 years ago

Still no quotes?

Ya, this is when you get personal.

Vic, you have repeatedly accused me of saying something I haven't said.  The discussion is here for all to read.  If you could produce evidence of me having said what you've accused me of having said, you would.  It would be right upthread, on this same page, and therefore easily found.  You can't.  Your repeated unfounded accusations are personal.  If you don't want things to be personal, don't make repeated false accusations.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
8.2.105  Vic Eldred  replied to  sandy-2021492 @8.2.104    4 years ago

That won't do it, Sandy. I got you covered on your specific statements about mistakes as well as the implication. Either way you can't justify smearing Rivera because he offered an opinion that you don't like!

If you don't want things to be personal, don't make repeated false accusations.

Now you're going to try and justify the personal attack.  You did add that little swipe about closing articles.  That won't be forgotten.

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
8.2.106  Bob Nelson  replied to  Vic Eldred @8.2.105    4 years ago
 I got you covered on your specific statements... 

This isn't rocket science, Vic. 

If you don't supply a link, everyone understands that you're just makin' shit up again. 

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
8.2.107  sandy-2021492  replied to  Vic Eldred @8.2.105    4 years ago

Quotes, Vic.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
8.2.108  Vic Eldred  replied to  Bob Nelson @8.2.106    4 years ago

Bob, She's a big girl, she doesn't need you to fight her battles.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
8.2.109  Vic Eldred  replied to  sandy-2021492 @8.2.107    4 years ago

You went with mistake, right?

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
8.2.110  sandy-2021492  replied to  Vic Eldred @8.2.108    4 years ago

He's just pointing out that you have still been unable to produce a quote.  No, I don't really need his help, as you're doing just fine proving that you can't produce a quote, but his support is appreciated, and it is a public forum.

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
8.2.111  sandy-2021492  replied to  Vic Eldred @8.2.109    4 years ago

Does "mistake" equal "fraud", Vic?  What dictionary are you using?

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
8.2.112  Vic Eldred  replied to  sandy-2021492 @8.2.110    4 years ago

Are you now backing away from saying that he made "mistakes?"

but his support is appreciated, and it is a public forum.

I gave you more credit than needing Bob. I guess I over estimated you.

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
8.2.113  sandy-2021492  replied to  Vic Eldred @8.2.112    4 years ago

Nope.  Are you equating "mistake" with "fraud"?

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
8.2.114  Vic Eldred  replied to  sandy-2021492 @8.2.113    4 years ago
Nope. 

That's good. Now go back and read post # 8.2.93 and you will see that your specific statement via "mistake" works the same as claiming fraud. The point you are desperately trying to escape is that you are trying to smear Rivera in order to dismiss the opinion you so dislike.

Are you equating "mistake" with "fraud"?

Either serves the same purpose - to dismiss a reasoned opinion. The point of this entire go-around!

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
8.2.115  sandy-2021492  replied to  Vic Eldred @8.2.114    4 years ago

No, I see you claiming that saying he made a mistake is the same as calling him a fraud.  I realize you really want to support your accusation here, but changing word definitions doesn't cut it, Vic.

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
8.2.116  Bob Nelson  replied to  Vic Eldred @8.2.108    4 years ago
... she doesn't need you to fight her battles.

"battles".....  wow

I got involved so that you'd understand that there are spectators... who are watchin' you make shit up. 

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
8.2.117  Vic Eldred  replied to  sandy-2021492 @8.2.115    4 years ago
No, I see you claiming that saying he made a mistake is the same as calling him a fraud.

Wrong again. I'm saying either serves the same purpose and I think we both have covered the same points long enough. I'll now let you have what your friends feel is the all important last word.

You can tell us all how you never used the word "fraud" and therefore, somehow you won the debate. Except of course, you didn't.

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
8.2.118  sandy-2021492  replied to  Vic Eldred @8.2.117    4 years ago

Ok, so that it's easier for us all to read, here are your words from @8.2.93

We have you on record now as calling the Chicago vault debacle a mistake. Please tell us how Rivera making a mistake discredits his idea of naming the vaccine after the President who sped up it's development?

See how easy it is to produce quotes from the same thread?  Easy peasy.

You have produced this quote in support of your accusation that I called Geraldo a fraud.  Just a little hint - producing your own words as evidence of what you say my words were is, well, not especially helpful to your case.  It is lost on nobody that you are, again, substituting your words for mine, because you can't find any of mine to suit your argument.  

So, if you aren't trying to equate my having said Geraldo made a mistake with me calling him a fraud, what is your point here?  You keep saying I said he made a mistake.  Yes, I did say that, because he did make a mistake. That is not the same as calling him a fraud.  Mistakes are not fraud.

cjcold
Professor Quiet
8.2.119  cjcold  replied to    4 years ago

Obama sat in on the planning of the mission but was smart enough to let the professionals do their jobs. 

Trump claims to be smarter than all of the generals and all intelligence agencies. narcissism is a very dangerous personality disorder for a president.

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
8.2.120  Bob Nelson  replied to  Vic Eldred @8.2.112    4 years ago
but his support is appreciated, and it is a public forum.
I gave you more credit than needing Bob. I guess I over estimated you.

Here's a great example of you makin' shit up, Vic. 

Sandy said "appreciate", which you transform into "need". 

It's dishonest, Vic. 

Blatantly dishonest. 

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
8.2.121  sandy-2021492  replied to  Bob Nelson @8.2.120    4 years ago

"Appreciate" = "need".

"Mistake" = "fraud".

Nope.

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
8.2.122  Bob Nelson  replied to  sandy-2021492 @8.2.121    4 years ago

Direct quotes and links are pretty easy. Just copy / paste. 

So when someone never uses them, and instead posts "reformulations", the obvious suspicion must be that they're makin' shit up. 

They can easily avoid this suspicion by...  .... using direct quotes and links. 

Gordy327
Professor Expert
8.2.123  Gordy327  replied to  Vic Eldred @8.2.23    4 years ago
Only after the red tape was cut and the partnership between government & science was formed.

Funny how Trump argued with and contradicted scientists when it came to Covid.

coordinated and allocated the necessary funds to get it done at the unheard of time table of months rather than years.

Funding is usually within the purview of Congress.

Selfless leadership under fire. Who else was going to do it?

The same "leadership" that downplayed Covid or said "it would go away."

Thank you President Trump!

The pharmaceutical company that produces the vaccine should get the thanks.

Times & Post set out to deny Trump the credit he deserved:

Perhaps because he deserves very little.

I never said Trump gets all the credit, just his share.

You seem to think he deserves a big share?

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
9  sandy-2021492    4 years ago
I am surprised at how far Trump is taking this.

I'm not.  When he first took office, I tried to keep an open  mind - didn't want him to fail, because he'd take the country along with him, hoped he'd hire good advisors, etc.  But once it was clear that his administration was going to be characterized by nepotism, self-dealing, and greed, nothing negative he has done has surprised me.

What has surprised me a bit is the number of people who admit he's a terrible person, who say they support him for his policies, but who still believe it's unthinkable that he lost the election.  I mean, they know he's despised by a fairly large portion of the population.  He has been for decades, well before entering politics.  How could they think that election fraud would be necessary for him to lose?  Did they think that the intense dislike of him and his policies wouldn't mobilize voters?

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
9.1  JohnRussell  replied to  sandy-2021492 @9    4 years ago

Donald Trump is the only president in US history (since the polling era began) to have never reached 50% approval rating at any point in his term.  The surprise would have been if he won the election. 

FLYNAVY1
Professor Guide
9.2  FLYNAVY1  replied to  sandy-2021492 @9    4 years ago

Right there with you Sandy.....   I never knew that the Trump Kool-Aid would be so strong.  

Kavika
Professor Principal
11  Kavika     4 years ago

It's difficult even for a self-proclaimed ''really smart guy'' to multitask. After all, he is filing numerous lawsuits, of which he is 0 for 30, and hiding in the bunker to pay much attention to thousands of dead Americans or to even allow the administration pandemic team to communicate with the incoming administration. 

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
11.1  Bob Nelson  replied to  Kavika @11    4 years ago
It's difficult...

You're right, K...

We really should show more comprehension and compassion. After all, the man is suffering!

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
11.2  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Kavika @11    4 years ago

Actually he did win a minor one which will have little to no effect on the results.

Kavika
Professor Principal
11.2.1  Kavika   replied to  Paula Bartholomew @11.2    4 years ago

OK, we'll give him a token win and add yesterday's three losses that leave him at 1 and 33....

It political parlance that type of a record is known as a ''SHITSHOW".