╌>

Parler is gone for now as Amazon terminates hosting - The Verge

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  sister-mary-agnes-ample-bottom  •  3 years ago  •  77 comments

By:   Kim Lyons (The Verge)

Parler is gone for now as Amazon terminates hosting - The Verge
After its app was banned by Apple and Google for failing to curb violent and threatening content on its platform, social media site Parler is now offline after Amazon terminated its web hosting services.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

The proliferation of violent content on the site pushed Apple and Google to ban it as well

After Parler was banned on both the Apple and Google app stores for failing to curb violent and threatening content on its platform, the social media site is now completely offline as a result of Amazon terminating Parler's web hosting services. The official Parler website now returns a 403 error, while its app is showing networking errors and can't load content.

Amazon told Parler of its decision late Saturday, in a letter to chief policy officer Amy Peikoff. Its Amazon Web Service (AWS) "cannot provide services to a customer that is unable to effectively identify and remove content that encourages or incites violence against others," the letter to Peikoff states, adding that Parler "poses a very real risk to public safety."

Posts on Parler that encouraged violence leading up to the Wednesday attack on the Capitol that left five people dead were circulated on other platforms in the wake of the riot. An example: "take zip ties with you, sneak up on them like ninjas and zip tie their hands and feet," to which another poster replied: "around their neck, can't get it off in time, they die."

According to the AWS acceptable use policy customers may not use its services "for any illegal, harmful, fraudulent, infringing or offensive use."

Parler launched in 2018 presenting itself as a free-speech haven and an alternative to other social media sites. The site saw its user numbers spike in recent months, as Twitter and Facebook tightened their moderation policies, especially around election and coronavirus information. The "Stop the Steal" campaign challenging President Trump's loss gained momentum among Parler users, as did other conspiracy theories around the election. Parler's less-strict moderation policies were part of its appeal for many users, but the lack of content moderation is a big part of why companies suspended their services.

When it pulled Parler from the Play Store, Google said while reasonable debate about content policy was possible, and it can be hard for apps to remove violative content immediately, "for us to distribute an app through Google Play, we do require that apps implement robust moderation for egregious content." Apple told the company that "the processes Parler has put in place to moderate or prevent the spread of dangerous and illegal content have proved insufficient. Specifically, we have continued to find direct threats of violence and calls to incite lawless action."

Even with the app removed from the Play Store users could still install Parler on their Android devices by downloading it directly from Parler's website and sideloading it. However, with its AWS services now disabled, the website and apps no longer work.

Parler CEO John Matze — who, according to his LinkedIn page worked for AWS for three months in 2017 — wrote in a post on Parler late Saturday that he believes Amazon, Google, and Apple "worked together to try and ensure they don't have competition," adding "They will NOT win! We are the worlds [sic] last hope for free speech and free information."

Matze said in a separate post that the Parler could be offline for up to a week "as we rebuild from scratch." Matze added, "You can expect the war on competition and free speech to continue, but don't count us out."

Perhaps the best-known recent instance of a site being deplatformed for violent content was social network Gab. After a gunman killed eleven people in a Pittsburgh synagogue in 2018, PayPal banned Gab from its platform, when it was revealed that suspect Robert Bowers had posted anti-Semitic threats on Gab ahead of the shooting. Apple rejected Gab's application to appear in its App Store in 2016, and Twitter removed Gab's access to its API. Google booted Gab app from its Play store in 2017 for violating its hate speech policy, and AWS cut ties with Gab in 2019, for violating its policy against hateful content.

Parler has not responded to multiple requests for comment from The Verge.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom
Professor Guide
1  seeder  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom    3 years ago

Posts on Parler that encouraged violence leading up to the Wednesday attack on the Capitol that left five people dead were circulated on other platforms in the wake of the riot. An example: "take zip ties with you, sneak up on them like ninjas and zip tie their hands and feet," to which another poster replied: "around their neck, can't get it off in time, they die."

Nice place.  

FLYNAVY1
Professor Guide
1.1  FLYNAVY1  replied to  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom @1    3 years ago

Come on sister.....  These are some of those "good people..... on both sides"  Trump was talking about. /s

Professor Guide
1.1.1  seeder  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom  replied to  FLYNAVY1 @1.1    3 years ago
These are some of those "good people..... on both sides"

He has clearly indicated which side he prefers.  

FLYNAVY1
Professor Guide
1.1.2  FLYNAVY1  replied to  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom @1.1.1    3 years ago

Right.... Those that send him money!

devangelical
Professor Principal
1.2  devangelical  replied to  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom @1    3 years ago

Professor Guide
1.2.1  seeder  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom  replied to  devangelical @1.2    3 years ago

I'm still laughing at the tap-dancing link.  This one is fab, as well.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
1.3  Tessylo  replied to  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom @1    3 years ago

Good Lord.  Where will they spew them venom now?

FLYNAVY1
Professor Guide
1.3.1  FLYNAVY1  replied to  Tessylo @1.3    3 years ago

Breitbart...... Newsmax..... Fox is still in the hunt.

pat wilson
Professor Participates
2  pat wilson    3 years ago

Oh No !!!! Where will I be able to order my trump $2 bill, commemorative coin or bobble-head ?!?!? hahahahahahaha

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
2.1  Ozzwald  replied to  pat wilson @2    3 years ago

Oh No !!!! Where will I be able to order my trump $2 bill, commemorative coin or bobble-head ?!?!? hahahahahahaha

"Trump Spray Tan", coming to a Dollar Store near you.

eqnoerxwoam9ae3.jpg?quality=85&strip=all

Professor Guide
2.1.1  seeder  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom  replied to  Ozzwald @2.1    3 years ago

Every time I see that image, I find it remarkable how much he and Steve Bannon look like bros.

OIP.00BwMs_CvvQN4UtQDnRKDAHaEN?w=331&h=187&c=7&o=5&dpr=1.1&pid=1.7

Tessylo
Professor Principal
2.1.2  Tessylo  replied to  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom @2.1.1    3 years ago

They both look like (not that I've ever seen any of them) is walking talking piles of genital herpes, anal warts, and hemorrhoids 

Professor Guide
2.2  seeder  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom  replied to  pat wilson @2    3 years ago
Where will I be able to order my trump $2 bill, commemorative coin or bobble-head ?!?!?

Were they actually selling that stuff?  I wonder what Trump's cut was.

pat wilson
Professor Participates
2.2.1  pat wilson  replied to  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom @2.2    3 years ago

Yes, they may be offered on breitbart but hurry they won't last...hahahahahahah

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
2.2.2  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom @2.2    3 years ago

Trump straws - 10 bucks/box - made in China

Cost to produce - 1 buck or less

Kavika
Professor Principal
3  Kavika     3 years ago

Excellent, good to get that off social media.

devangelical
Professor Principal
3.1  devangelical  replied to  Kavika @3    3 years ago

... cutting the head off the snake.

Professor Guide
3.2  seeder  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom  replied to  Kavika @3    3 years ago

I wonder if we should expect an influx of 'new' members...

Tessylo
Professor Principal
3.2.1  Tessylo  replied to  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom @3.2    3 years ago

OMG, they have to 'vent their spleen' somewhere

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
3.2.2  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Tessylo @3.2.1    3 years ago

Trump won't be doing it on Twitter or FB.  Both have permanently suspended his accounts.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
3.2.3  Tessylo  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @3.2.2    3 years ago

"Trump won't be doing it on Twitter or FB.  Both have permanently suspended his accounts."

I was thinking about what SMAAB said about a possible influx of new members . . . like from places like Parler, etc. . . . to Newstalkers

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
3.2.4  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Tessylo @3.2.3    3 years ago

Fresh meat!jrSmiley_68_smiley_image.png

Gordy327
Professor Expert
3.2.5  Gordy327  replied to  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom @3.2    3 years ago

And how soon will they whine about being censored? Or blame liberals/democrats/big tech/elites/ect.?

Gordy327
Professor Expert
3.2.6  Gordy327  replied to  Tessylo @3.2.1    3 years ago

More like their gallbladder. Bile & all.

Professor Guide
3.2.7  seeder  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @3.2.4    3 years ago
Fresh meat!

I was referencing the return of, um, less than fresh meat...

Professor Guide
3.2.8  seeder  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom  replied to  Gordy327 @3.2.5    3 years ago
And how soon will they whine about being censored?

They left here whining about it.

FLYNAVY1
Professor Guide
3.2.9  FLYNAVY1  replied to  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom @3.2.8    3 years ago

How is the condition of the door after impact with their backsides....?

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
4  Thrawn 31    3 years ago

Lol, this shit is hilarious to me. Of course the CEO is saying they have contingency plans in place to be able to go solo and businesses lining up out the door to host them, both of which are complete bullshit. What is even funnier if that if Trump got his way in regards to section 230, not only would he personally be banned from every social media platform immediately but Parler will be sued into oblivion within months and completely go under. 

evilone
Professor Guide
4.1  evilone  replied to  Thrawn 31 @4    3 years ago
the CEO is saying they have contingency plans in place to be able to go solo and businesses lining up out the door to host them

Later he claimed big tech forced those other businesses into not touching them. Parler's lawyers also quit over the weekend. As of now he claims he's sitting on 5 servers worth of data with nowhere to go with it.

if Trump got his way in regards to section 230

Pretty much all websites that take comments would turn off comments overnight or be sued into oblivion. 

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
4.1.1  Thrawn 31  replied to  evilone @4.1    3 years ago
Later he claimed big tech forced those other businesses into not touching them.

Which even if they did, they have every right to do so. Apple has every right to tell any other business "hey, we do not wish to be associated with Parler, if you do then we will terminate our arrangement and you two can elope off into the sunset together.", there is absolutely nothing illegal or even morally wrong with that. 

Parler's lawyers also quit over the weekend.

Probably because a) it makes them look bad, and b) they have no case.

As of now he claims he's sitting on 5 servers worth of data with nowhere to go with it.

Well, when you crate an app for neo nazis and refuse to do anything about all the vile shit and death threats that are thrown around on it, you cannot expect other businesses to want to be associated with you. 

Pretty much all websites that take comments would turn off comments overnight or be sued into oblivion.

Yep, lol I'd be banned from here in about 2 seconds.

evilone
Professor Guide
4.1.2  evilone  replied to  Thrawn 31 @4.1.1    3 years ago

Looks like they have filed suit in a DC court against Amazon.

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
4.1.3  Thrawn 31  replied to  evilone @4.1.2    3 years ago

They are completely wasting their time. No court is going to rule that one business has to engage with another business. 

Professor Guide
4.1.4  seeder  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom  replied to  evilone @4.1.2    3 years ago
Looks like they have filed suit in a DC court against Amazon.

And good luck with that.  Amazon has more right to say, "Get the fuck out of here!", than Parler does shouting, "Sieg heil!"

Tessylo
Professor Principal
4.2  Tessylo  replied to  Thrawn 31 @4    3 years ago
'not only would he personally be banned from every social media platform immediately but Parler will be sued into oblivion within months and completely go under.'

the tRump touch

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
5  Thrawn 31    3 years ago

Lol, this shit is hilarious to me. Of course the CEO is saying they have contingency plans in place to be able to go solo and businesses lining up out the door to host them, both of which are complete bullshit. What is even funnier if that if Trump got his way in regards to section 230, not only would he personally be banned from every social media platform immediately but Parler will be sued into oblivion within months and completely go under. 

Professor Guide
5.1  seeder  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom  replied to  Thrawn 31 @5    3 years ago

That was worth posting twice, so I upped it twice.

Professor Guide
5.1.1  seeder  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom  replied to  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom @5.1    3 years ago

I would swear that there were two of those just moments ago...jrSmiley_9_smiley_image.gif

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
5.1.2  Thrawn 31  replied to  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom @5.1    3 years ago

My computer has been acting funky lately, posting things multiple times, leaving out key strokes or inserting letters I didn't type. I would just replace the keyboard but on al aptop that is a bigger pain inthe ass than it is worth. I may need to start shopping for a new one.

Professor Guide
5.1.3  seeder  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom  replied to  Thrawn 31 @5.1.2    3 years ago

Actually, I'm pretty sure it's site-related glitch.  It happens now and again.

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
5.1.4  Thrawn 31  replied to  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom @5.1.3    3 years ago

It isn't just that, like I said I've been having some other issues with it. Regardless, no biggie. 

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
5.1.5  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Thrawn 31 @5.1.2    3 years ago

The only glitch I get occasionally is that even when my comment posts, it remains where I typed it.   I used to think it didn't post and I enter it again and end up with a double posting.  Now when that happens, I check to see if did post.

Krishna
Professor Expert
5.1.6  Krishna  replied to  Thrawn 31 @5.1.4    3 years ago

I recently bought a new laptop. Amazing how much the technology is improved. Lighter weight, more power, more features, etc, etc .It was well worth it!

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
6  Greg Jones    3 years ago
afb011121dAPR20210111044502.jpg

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
6.1  Thrawn 31  replied to  Greg Jones @6    3 years ago

It is not possible for those companies to infringe on people's first amendment rights. That cartoon just says that the artist has no fucking clue what the first amendment actually says or who it applies to [deleted]

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
6.1.1  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Thrawn 31 @6.1    3 years ago

Freedom of speech does not include inciting violence that can lead to injury or death.  

FLYNAVY1
Professor Guide
6.1.2  FLYNAVY1  replied to  Thrawn 31 @6.1    3 years ago

the artist has no fucking clue what the first amendment actually says or who it applies to and neither does any dipshit that moves the cartoon along.

I want to make sure your catch that fact Greg........

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
6.1.3  Thrawn 31  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @6.1.1    3 years ago

No it doesn't. 

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
6.1.4  Trout Giggles  replied to  FLYNAVY1 @6.1.2    3 years ago

I don't think Greg understands the difference between private corporation and government

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
6.1.5  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Trout Giggles @6.1.4    3 years ago

I guess there are people around who think it's okay to shout "FIRE" in a crowded theatre.  There really isn't a vaccine for STUPID. 

Krishna
Professor Expert
6.1.6  Krishna  replied to  Thrawn 31 @6.1    3 years ago
It is not possible for those companies to infringe on people's first amendment rights. That cartoon just says that the artist has no fucking clue what the first amendment actually says or who it applies to

I wonder if the person who originally tweeted that cartoon on Twitter (and/or those who re-tweeted it) will get a warning? 

Krishna
Professor Expert
6.1.7  Krishna  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @6.1.5    3 years ago
There really isn't a vaccine for STUPID. 

I used to say:

There's no cure for "Stuck on Stupid". 

But I like the (updated) vaccine version better-- its much more timely! jrSmiley_10_smiley_image.gif

Professor Guide
6.2  seeder  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom  replied to  Greg Jones @6    3 years ago

Let me make a recommendation to you, Greg.  Please take a Political Science 101 course.  I'm sure you can find one online.  False representational cartoons like this damage the integrity of NT.  I know you don't care, but I do.

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
6.2.1  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom @6.2    3 years ago

I can only remember one other time that I flagged anyone.  That disgusting and blatantly false cartoon would be the second time.

Krishna
Professor Expert
6.2.2  Krishna  replied to  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom @6.2    3 years ago
False representational cartoons like this damage the integrity of NT

What I've always found intriguing is that while social media sites have their rules-- IIRC none of them have a rule against posting misleading information...or even blatant lies. 

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
6.3  Hal A. Lujah  replied to  Greg Jones @6    3 years ago

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
6.3.1  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Hal A. Lujah @6.3    3 years ago

LOL.. I posted my comment before I saw that one.  Great minds, etc.

Professor Guide
6.3.2  seeder  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom  replied to  Hal A. Lujah @6.3    3 years ago

Clever addition!

Krishna
Professor Expert
6.3.3  Krishna  replied to  Hal A. Lujah @6.3    3 years ago

Excellent!

(Unless, of course, one believes its perfectly fine for some of the more ignorant MAGA people to yell "FIRE" in a crowded theatre.. after all, they believe that its their Constitutionally protected "right" to do that... jrSmiley_88_smiley_image.gif )

Split Personality
Professor Guide
6.4  Split Personality  replied to  Greg Jones @6    3 years ago

Typical ignorance from Branco, LegalInsurection & Creators.

pat wilson
Professor Participates
6.4.2  pat wilson  replied to  Suz @6.4.1    3 years ago
How is it wrong to use underhanded methods to catch child molesters? 

Maybe I'm missing something but there's nothing in the seeded article about child molesters. Are you drawing a parallel to something in the content above? 

Tessylo
Professor Principal
6.4.3  Tessylo  replied to  pat wilson @6.4.2    3 years ago

She seems to talk often about things unrelated to the article/seed at hand.  

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
6.4.4  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  pat wilson @6.4.2    3 years ago

I think Suz means that if Parler were allowed to exist child molesters would use the site to lure children, and then the authorities could trace their posts and find them, but it's VERY unlikely that chldren would use such a site anyway.  I believe it's a matter of balance of interests, and I believe that it is more important to prevent communication for the purpose of committing terrorist acts and insurrection by banning such a site.

Professor Guide
6.4.5  seeder  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom  replied to  Suz @6.4.1    3 years ago
I think it's a big mistake to eliminate Parler but this isn't the first time we've seen one company do away with the competition by any and all means.

I believe you have misunderstood the issue at hand, Suz.  Parler is not being 'eliminated'.  Amazon, and other businesses, have chosen to discontinue their business dealings with Parler.  They are more than welcome to pursue other platforms.

Professor Guide
6.4.6  seeder  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom  replied to  Tessylo @6.4.3    3 years ago
She seems to talk often about things unrelated to the article/seed at hand.

That would explain the child molestation comments.

Krishna
Professor Expert
6.4.7  Krishna  replied to  Suz @6.4.1    3 years ago
How is it wrong to use underhanded methods to catch child molesters?

No one here is saying that its wrong to use underhanded methods to catch child molesters!!!

Krishna
Professor Expert
6.5  Krishna  replied to  Greg Jones @6    3 years ago

It never ceases to amaze me how unaware of what the Constitutional guarantees of free speech actually mean.

Do you think, for example, that NT, by restricting various types of speech by the CoC, is actually violating your Constitutionally protected right to Free Speech?

Not only can someone here get a suspension for what they said-- but if its serious enough they can get totally banned!

I wonder-- are you seriously considering filing a lawsuit against Perrie because you actually believe that NT is violating your Constitutionally protected rights...?

Mark in Wyoming
Professor Silent
8  Mark in Wyoming     3 years ago

just read that Parler has registered on a server called epik, but nothing past registering has been discussed according to the server CEO.