╌>

McConnell and McCarthy rebuke Greene for Holocaust remarks but stop short of taking action against rising GOP star

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  tessylo  •  3 years ago  •  55 comments

By:   David Knowles, Editor, Yahoo News

McConnell and McCarthy rebuke Greene for Holocaust remarks but stop short of taking action against rising GOP star

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

David Knowles

· Senior Editor

Tue, May 25, 2021, 2:01 PM EDT

Republican leaders in Congress sought to distance themselves Tuesday from comments made by Rep. Marjorie Taylor Greene, R-Ga., that compared House Speaker Nancy Pelosi's mask mandate in the House of Representatives to the killing of 6 million Jews in the Holocaust by Nazi Germany. 

The controversy was just the latest in a series of incendiary comments from Greene that stretch back to before she was elected last year.

“Marjorie is wrong, and her intentional decision to compare the horrors of the Holocaust with wearing masks is appalling," House Minority Leader Kevin McCarthy said in a statement. "The Holocaust is the greatest atrocity committed in history. The fact that this needs to be stated today is deeply troubling."

Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell also expressed his displeasure with   Greene's comparison . “Once again an outrageous and reprehensible comment," he told reporters on Capitol Hill.  

In an interview last week with Christian Broadcasting Network anchor David Brody, Greene made headlines when she likened mask restrictions intended to stop the spread of COVID-19 to the systematic slaughter of Jews in Europe. 

29680ac0-bd80-11eb-aff8-8b2b2b5075ae

House Minority Leader Kevin McCarthy. (Tom Williams/CQ-Roll Call Inc. via Getty Images)

"You know, we can look back in a time in history where people were told to wear a gold star and they were definitely treated like second-class citizens — so much so that they were put in trains and taken to gas chambers in Nazi Germany, and this is exactly the type of abuse that Nancy Pelosi is talking about," Greene told Brody.

With outrage over her remarks growing louder, Greene doubled down on the comparison in a Tuesday-morning tweet. 

Her insistence left Republican leaders who have overlooked many of her more outrageous comments little choice other than to offer rebukes. 

In a statement, a spokesperson for Rep. Steve Scalise, R-La., the second most powerful House Republican, said Scalise “does not agree with these comments and condemns these comparisons to the Holocaust."

Yet none of the GOP leaders who spoke out on Greene's latest transgression signaled any willingness to expel her from the Republican caucus, perhaps in part because she enjoys growing support from the party's pro-Trump base. 

That fact has left a vocal minority of Republicans demanding action. 

In February, Greene was stripped of her committee assignments for the threatening rhetoric she has often used against Democrats, including Pelosi. Last week she accosted Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, demanding she debate her on the Green New Deal, and an unearthed video showed her harassing the Democratic lawmaker  from New York on a 2019 trip to Washington. 

While Greene regularly assails the congressional leadership of the Republican Party and its moderate members, McConnell and McCarthy know that the GOP has little chance of winning elections without the   majority of the party   that believes that the 2020 election was stolen from Donald Trump and that masks and vaccines should be viewed suspiciously. It's that tension that helps explain why McCarthy and McConnell have both rejected the creation of a bipartisan commission to examine the Jan. 6 riot at the U.S. Capitol by Trump's supporters, and why McCarthy has gone to visit Trump at Mar-a-Lago despite the fact that the former president continues to insist that his loss to President Biden was attributable to election fraud. 

For her part, Greene seems intent on stepping over the line at every opportunity, which includes a Trump-like attempt to oust those from the Republican Party who reject the former president's baseless claims about the election. 

“You know you’re a Democrat if your name is Liz Cheney,”   Greene said Friday   at an "America First" rally in Mesa, Ariz. “You know you might be a Democrat if your name is Adam Kinzinger. You know you might be a Democrat and have a serious problem in your primary election if you’re one of the 10 Republicans who voted to impeach President Trump.”

Even after McCarthy, McConnell and Scalise had criticized Greene for her Holocaust comparisons, she signaled she would not be backing down, and, in a tweet, insisted that the left's "attempts to shame, ostracize, and brand Americans who choose not to get vaccinated or wear a mask are reminiscent of the great tyrants of history who did the same to those who would not comply."

____

Article is LOCKED by author/seeder
[]

Tessylo
Professor Principal
1  seeder  Tessylo    3 years ago

It's obvious to me now why this loud mouth skank keeps spewing her garbage and why now McCarthy and McConnell are now saying we condemn this loud mouthed POS and her verbal diarrhea now (yet we're still not going to do anything about the skank) -  it's to take all of our attention away from their complicity with the former occupant of the White House and his mob's failed coup/insurrection on 1/6/21.  

Greene, McConnell, McCarthy - all complicit in 1/6/21.  

devangelical
Professor Principal
1.1  devangelical  replied to  Tessylo @1    3 years ago

both of those Mc's are scared shitless of her. like all the other nazis and racists in the seditionist party, they won't do do anything about them because they need all the votes of the entire fascist coalition.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
1.1.1  seeder  Tessylo  replied to  devangelical @1.1    3 years ago

Look at the hateful evil they've unleashed on us . . . 

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
1.2  Ozzwald  replied to  Tessylo @1    3 years ago
It's obvious to me now why this loud mouth skank keeps spewing her garbage and why now McCarthy and McConnell are now saying we condemn this loud mouthed POS and her verbal diarrhea now (yet we're still not going to do anything about the skank)

Rebuking her in front of the cameras, patting her on the back in private.

Krishna
Professor Expert
1.2.1  Krishna  replied to  Ozzwald @1.2    3 years ago
patting her on the back in private.

Or perhaps it was a case of .. .patting her on the privates in back?

(Sorry, just couldn't resist that one jrSmiley_7_smiley_image.png )

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
1.2.2  Ozzwald  replied to  Krishna @1.2.1    3 years ago
Or perhaps it was a case of .. .patting her on the privates in back?

Unlikely.  She may be blond, but she is too old for the current Republicans.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
1.2.3  seeder  Tessylo  replied to  Ozzwald @1.2.2    3 years ago

Yeah, she's reached puberty. . . 

Tessylo
Professor Principal
1.2.4  seeder  Tessylo  replied to  Ozzwald @1.2.2    3 years ago

Also damn ugly down to the bone!

Krishna
Professor Expert
2  Krishna    3 years ago

Well, the Republicans have always been strong  advocates of "free speech".

/sarc

Kavika
Professor Principal
3  Kavika     3 years ago

No surprise that the spineless duo did nothing much about her comments. 

evilone
Professor Guide
3.1  evilone  replied to  Kavika @3    3 years ago

She's the queen of the Trumpublican Party and only parrots what Q tells her to say through the dental fillings in her teeth.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
5  seeder  Tessylo    3 years ago

191648011_10159452267991613_7489465007064144452_n.jpg?_nc_cat=105&ccb=1-3&_nc_sid=730e14&_nc_ohc=MEReP4vdSRAAX-q-6Ep&_nc_ht=scontent-iad3-2.xx&oh=9bb4e75df05111929fc2ae620b2c2753&oe=60D32F0C

Tessylo
Professor Principal
6  seeder  Tessylo    3 years ago

190504467_10225413258259887_1280839943001173268_n.jpg?_nc_cat=108&ccb=1-3&_nc_sid=730e14&_nc_ohc=HPAlx0lgf9oAX9S9Gvs&tn=ddyv9WRSVi2y4Anp&_nc_ht=scontent-iad3-2.xx&oh=d3cc19e9ba788545bc727ee8bfffd05c&oe=60D4164A

Tacos!
Professor Guide
7  Tacos!    3 years ago
But Stop Short Of Taking Action

What action? And for what? What she said was dumb, but hardly unique. If you’re standing in Washington D.C., you can’t swing a dead cat and not hit someone who has made an inappropriate nazi reference. You’d better be prepared to “take action” against much of Congress, not to mention the press corps.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
7.1  seeder  Tessylo  replied to  Tacos! @7    3 years ago

I don't hear 'much of congress' making such remarks except the gop/gqp.  

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
7.1.1  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  Tessylo @7.1    3 years ago

Cuz they don't say it fucking out loud FFS. Grow up. We are all adults and the behind the scenes shit is much more juicy that what you may see in the press.

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
7.1.2  Ozzwald  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @7.1.1    3 years ago
Cuz they don't say it fucking out loud FFS.

But the gop/gqp do say it out loud.  But it's not her fault, it's those damn Jewish space lasers again.

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
7.1.3  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  Ozzwald @7.1.2    3 years ago
But the gop/gqp do say it out loud.

Goddamn right. They aren't pussies and afraid to say what they really think. 

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
7.1.4  Ozzwald  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @7.1.3    3 years ago
They aren't pussies and afraid to say what they really think. 

Except about Trump?

Tessylo
Professor Principal
7.1.5  seeder  Tessylo  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @7.1.3    3 years ago

So which is it?  'Cuz' they don't fucking say it out loud FFS' or 'Goddamn right.  They aren't pussies and afraid to say what they really think.'

Like trumpturd you contradict yourself within the same statement.  

Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom
Professor Guide
7.1.6  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @7.1.3    3 years ago
Goddamn right. They aren't pussies and afraid to say what they really think. 

You make it sound like you admire that trait in others.  

Ronin2
Professor Quiet
7.1.8  Ronin2  replied to  Tacos! @7.1.7    3 years ago

You know Democrats are held to different standards. 99% of the left believe every word they say as well; so that makes it OK.

Dulay
Professor Expert
7.1.9  Dulay  replied to  Tacos! @7.1.7    3 years ago
Then I suggest you need to listen more. Here are some examples.

Well then I suggest that you post links that address the holocaust [a policy] instead of Hitler [a politician] or Nazi's [a political party]. 

After all, that's what the seed is about.  

Tessylo
Professor Principal
7.1.11  seeder  Tessylo  replied to  Dulay @7.1.9    3 years ago

Deflection and projection and denial are all the trumpturd supporters have.  

All the comparisons of trumpturd to Hitler are true though.  

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
7.1.12  Ozzwald  replied to  Ronin2 @7.1.8    3 years ago
You know Democrats are held to different standards.

You are correct, Democrats hold themselves to higher standards.  Just ask former Senator Franken.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
7.1.13  seeder  Tessylo  replied to  Ozzwald @7.1.12    3 years ago

We actually have standards, unlike the repukes.  

Snuffy
Professor Participates
7.1.14  Snuffy  replied to  Dulay @7.1.9    3 years ago
After all, that's what the seed is about.

Really.   And there I thought this seed was about one Congresswoman, her stupid ideas and the inability for the Republican Party to properly discipline her. 

Tessylo
Professor Principal
7.1.15  seeder  Tessylo  replied to  Snuffy @7.1.14    3 years ago

I thought you were ignoring me snuffy.  Why are you on this seed?

Snuffy
Professor Participates
7.1.16  Snuffy  replied to  Tessylo @7.1.15    3 years ago

[deleted]

Tessylo
Professor Principal
7.1.17  seeder  Tessylo  replied to  Snuffy @7.1.16    3 years ago

I appreciate you keeping me on the front page!  

It was doing just fine until the usual suspects started their usual shit

Tacos!
Professor Guide
7.1.18  Tacos!  replied to  Dulay @7.1.9    3 years ago
Well then I suggest that you post links that address the holocaust [a policy] instead of Hitler [a politician] or Nazi's [a political party].  After all, that's what the seed is about.  

[deleted]

First of all, it’s hard to imagine a dumber proposition than this one from you that somehow Hitler or the Nazis are off-topic from a seed about a reference to THE Holocaust. I mean we all read some silly comments around here, but that one wins.

Second, the exchange between Tessylo and myself begins with me using the words “an inappropriate nazi reference” to describe Greene’s words, which Tessylo was smart enough to realize was entirely appropriate because she didn’t object like you are. 

Third, Greene herself referenced the Nazis with her own words in the very comment that is the subject of the seed. That information is in the seed, if only you would read it.

"You know, we can look back in a time in history where people were told to wear a gold star and they were definitely treated like second-class citizens — so much so that they were put in trains and taken to gas chambers in Nazi Germany, and this is exactly the type of abuse that Nancy Pelosi is talking about," Greene told Brody.

So Green obviously intended her Holocaust reference as a Nazi reference. She is the one who used the word. Everyone in the world - and here on this site - understood it as such. You are the first known person on Planet Earth to assert that somehow comparing someone to Hitler or the Nazis is substantially different than comparing their policies to the Holocaust.

This is the first time in history of dumb comments that anyone has suggested that comparing mask requirements to the Holocaust would not be “an inappropriate nazi reference.” 

In fact, if we are to be slave to your ridiculous standard, then you are the one who is totally wrong, because Greene never used the word “Holocaust.” Is that supposed to mean she wasn’t referencing it? She talked about an abusive policy as used in Nazi Germany, and you managed to figure out that she meant the Holocaust even though she never used the word. Amazing!

But perhaps you have never heard of this tactic I was discussing? You see, saying that a policy is like the Holocaust is part of a larger trend we see in politics where political enemies try to cast each other in the role of the Nazis or Hitler. That larger trend is what I referenced in my comment @7. The sole purpose of this silly tactic is to demonize someone in the most obvious, but laziest way possible.

So, “Holocaust?” “Nazi?” “Hitler?” They’re all tied together. That should be obvious. It’s absurd that it had to be explained to anyone.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
7.1.19  seeder  Tessylo  replied to  Tacos! @7.1.7    3 years ago

I suggest you stop with your deflections, projections, and denials. . . go talk down to someone else.  .

Tacos!
Professor Guide
7.1.20  Tacos!  replied to  Tessylo @7.1.19    3 years ago

It would be neat if you would at least acknowledge when people you talk to have supported their position with actual evidence.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
7.1.21  seeder  Tessylo  replied to  Tacos! @7.1.20    3 years ago

[deleted]

You have supplied nothing but deflection, projection and denial.

Stop insulting people on my seeds.  

We don't need your 'explanations' 

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
8  Just Jim NC TttH    3 years ago

[deleted]

Tessylo
Professor Principal
8.1  seeder  Tessylo  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @8    3 years ago

DEFLECTION!

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
8.1.1  Trout Giggles  replied to  Tessylo @8.1    3 years ago

just flag it as off-topic.

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
8.1.2  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  Tessylo @8.1    3 years ago

[deleted]

Tessylo
Professor Principal
8.1.3  seeder  Tessylo  replied to  Trout Giggles @8.1.1    3 years ago

I'm sure I'll get the ticket and not them.  Even though they're trolling big time.  

bugsy
Professor Participates
8.2  bugsy  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @8    3 years ago

[deleted]

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
8.2.1  Ozzwald  replied to  bugsy @8.2    3 years ago
Don't forget about the Jihad squad who has repeatedly made anti semetic comments since being voted in.

You mean the ones that have apologized for it several dozen times, and have not since repeated the claim?  Them? 

Has Greene apologized for any of her outrageous statements?  Why was she kicked off all House committees again?

Tessylo
Professor Principal
8.2.2  seeder  Tessylo  replied to  Ozzwald @8.2.1    3 years ago

Please don't feed the trolls.  

bugsy
Professor Participates
8.2.3  bugsy  replied to  Ozzwald @8.2.1    3 years ago
You mean the ones that have apologized for it several dozen times,

They have?

When?

Be specific...

bugsy
Professor Participates
8.2.4  bugsy  replied to  Ozzwald @8.2.1    3 years ago

Not surprised you can't provide any proof.

Maybe one of the five that upvoted you can......but I doubt it

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
9  JohnRussell    3 years ago

It's very simple, Mc Carthy is waiting for Trump to tell him what to do or say about this. 

I doubt very much that Trump will condemn Taylor Greene for her bizarre and offensive comments about the Holocaust.  Trump feels like he has a "get out of jail free card" when it comes to "jewish" issues because his daughter Ivanka converted to Judaism to align her religion with her husbands.  Trump can always say, "I cant be anti-semitic, my daughter is Jewish". 

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
10  JohnRussell    3 years ago

Someone on twitter today called McCarthy a "feckless c-nt" , and Taylor-Greene thanked the tweeter. 

1. Marjorie Taylor Greene Praises Tweet Calling Kevin ...

“Thank you for seeing the truth,”   Greene   told a Twitter user who tweeted   that McCarthy   was a “moron” and a “ feckless   c**t” while defending   Greene   for comparing mask mandates to the ...

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
10.1  JohnRussell  replied to  JohnRussell @10    3 years ago

McCarthy will respond to his subordinate Taylor-Greene agreeing that he is a "feckless c-nt"  as soon as his daddy Trump tells him what to say. 

Tessylo
Professor Principal
10.3  seeder  Tessylo  replied to  JohnRussell @10    3 years ago

A feckless cunt calling a feckless cunt a feckless cunt . . . . 

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
11  Buzz of the Orient    3 years ago

I beg to differ from the general opinion.  I say not only should the GQP leave her there, they should promote her, glorify her, get her to talk more, do interviews and talk shows.  She's the best thing to happen to lose conservative votes in a long time, so consider her a benefit to the Democrats. 

I like to refer to Jean Reno's remark about the glass pyramid in front of the Louvre in the movie The DaVinci Code: "It is a scar on the face of Paris".  Greene is a scar on the face of the Republican Party. 

Tessylo
Professor Principal
11.1  seeder  Tessylo  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @11    3 years ago

She is so typical of today's republican party.  

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
11.1.1  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Tessylo @11.1    3 years ago

As for adhering to conspiracy theories and total lack of principles, agreed, but most Republicans are more intelligent.  In fact MOST PEOPLE are more intelligent. 

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
12  Hal A. Lujah    3 years ago

She may be an ignorant Qunt, but she scares the snowflakes on the right into submission with every idiotic comment she makes.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
12.1  Trout Giggles  replied to  Hal A. Lujah @12    3 years ago
Qunt

I like how you spelled that

Tessylo
Professor Principal
13  seeder  Tessylo    3 years ago

190907098_10159473103207889_2791327561343128518_n.jpg?_nc_cat=1&ccb=1-3&_nc_sid=730e14&_nc_ohc=sWnJ0gF_SnoAX8kYi0J&_nc_ht=scontent-iad3-1.xx&oh=292bdd40e6451446b768c8d39e43a2bc&oe=60D3D384