GOP Governor Says It's Time To 'Blame The Unvaccinated' For Pandemic Surge

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  tessylo  •  3 years ago  •  168 comments

By:   Ed Mazza, Huffpost

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

8ceadb10-2dbe-11eb-9f9b-de13f4210d92

Ed Mazza Fri, July 23, 2021, 4:22 AM A Republican governor in one of the states hit hardest by the delta variant of the coronavirus called out those who’ve refused the vaccine on Thursday.

“It’s time to start blaming the unvaccinated folks, not the regular folks,” saidAlabamaGov. Kay Ivey,per CBS 42 in Birmingham. “It’s the unvaccinated folks that are letting us down.”

Ivey, who wasvaccinated in December, also seemed to throw some shade at Fox News and other right-wing media outlets.

“Media, I want you to start reporting the facts,” she said. “The new cases of COVID are because of unvaccinated folks. Almost 100 percent of the new hospitalizations are with unvaccinated folks. And the deaths are certainly occurring with the unvaccinated folks.”

Although she didn’t name names, Fox News hosts, such asTucker Carlson,have attempted to cast doubt on the effectiveness of the coronavirus vaccines. Carlson said the notion that the U.S. was now in a pandemic of the unvaccinated was “simply untrue” and “a lie.”

12ddaa186b34c22a5f4e698e7aa3b24b Alabama Gov. Kay Ivey (R), who was vaccinated in December, threw some shade at Fox News and other right-wing media outlets for providing misinformation about the coronavirus vaccines. (Photo: Marvin Gentry via Reuters)

One Alabama ER doc recently shared the haunting tales ofdying coronavirus patients who beggedfor the vaccine that they had previously refused.

“I hold their hand and tell them that I’m sorry, but it’s too late,” Dr. Brytney Cobia wroteon Facebook.

Alabama has seen a 311% jump in cases over the past two weeks,according to The New York Times, and a 92% increase in hospitalizations. The state’s rate of 23 new cases per 100,000 people was tied for the ninth highest in the nation. Alabama is also tied for the lowest vaccination rate in the U.S.

Ivey has not exactly helped her case. Last week, sherejecteda plan by PresidentJoe Bidenin which community-based volunteers would godoor to door to encourage COVID-19 vaccinationand offer help to those who need it.

She also signed a billbanning “vaccine passports”in her state. That same law also banned businesses from requiring vaccination or even asking about vaccination status and banned schools, including colleges, from requiring the vaccine despite the fact that Alabama schoolscurrently requiremultiple shots, with certain exemptions allowed.

Earlier this week, Iveyrejected a call for wearing masks in schoolsthat was made by theAmerican Academy of Pediatrics.

Article is LOCKED by author/seeder
[]

Tessylo
Professor Principal
1  seeder  Tessylo    3 years ago
A   Republican    governor in one of the states hit hardest by the    delta variant    of the    coronavirus    called out those who’ve refused the vaccine on Thursday.

“It’s time to start blaming the unvaccinated folks, not the regular folks,” said      Alabama       Gov. Kay Ivey,      per CBS 42 in Birmingham   . “It’s the unvaccinated folks that are letting us down.”

Ivey, who was      vaccinated in December   , also seemed to throw some shade at Fox News and other right-wing media outlets.

“Media, I want you to start reporting the facts,” she said. “The new cases of COVID are because of unvaccinated folks. Almost 100 percent of the new hospitalizations are with unvaccinated folks. And the deaths are certainly occurring with the unvaccinated folks.”

Although she didn’t name names, Fox News hosts, such as      Tucker Carlson,       have attempted to cast doubt on the effectiveness of the coronavirus vaccines. Carlson said the notion that the U.S. was now in a pandemic of the unvaccinated was “   simply untrue   ” and “a lie.”

igknorantzrulz
PhD Quiet
1.1  igknorantzrulz  replied to  Tessylo @1    3 years ago

It's great for FINALLY calling out the unvaccinated as the problem prolonging the problem, but what a fckn hippocritter. those last few paragraphs prove she wants it both ways, and i'm not Bi' in it. Help ignorant people, don't straddle a fence to enjoy longer harder deeper poles

Tessylo
Professor Principal
1.1.1  seeder  Tessylo  replied to  igknorantzrulz @1.1    3 years ago

Yeah I'm sick of the fence straddling too iggy.  I placed my intent of the article on the statement about the pandemic and now how without a doubt that this ipandemic continues to spread like wildfre caused by the complete ignorance and selfishness of the idiots who refuse to get vaccinated

Tessylo
Professor Principal
2  seeder  Tessylo    3 years ago

Thank you Governor Ivey!  A republican with some sense.  What a rarity!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you for putting the blame squarely where it belongs - the majority of republicans and their enablers/supporters who refuse to get vaccinated.  

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
2.1  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  Tessylo @2    3 years ago
the majority of republicans and their enablers/supporters who refuse to get vaccinated. 

Where did she put the blame on the subset you are espousing? I didn't see where she broke it down to a particular party or group other than "unvaccinated". Do you have more information than the article brings forward? Or is this just your "unbiased" opinion? Rhetorical.

Gordy327
Professor Expert
2.1.1  Gordy327  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @2.1    3 years ago

Unvaccinated is Unvaccinated and they are to blame. Their party affiliation or other allegiances is irrelevant. 

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
2.1.2  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  Gordy327 @2.1.1    3 years ago

Tell it to the person that made the claim above.

Gordy327
Professor Expert
2.1.3  Gordy327  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @2.1.2    3 years ago

I tell that to everyone. 

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
2.1.4  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @2.1.2    3 years ago

Bingo!

Tessylo
Professor Principal
2.1.5  seeder  Tessylo  replied to  Ed-NavDoc @2.1.4    3 years ago

No.  Not at all

CB
Professor Principal
2.1.6  CB  replied to  Tessylo @2.1.5    3 years ago

Don't let it 'worry you.' We know overwhelmingly who/where the unvaccinated are in highest percentages. Old 'talking points conservatives' are not equipped to properly concede,  apologize, and admit to being on the wrong side of a narrative-so they bump their heads onto the floor "thump!" until they "comply" without grace.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
2.1.7  seeder  Tessylo  replied to  CB @2.1.6    3 years ago

So true!

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
2.1.8  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @2.1    3 years ago

There was no Blane on a particular subset, but there certainly are people here who have no problem trying to tar most if not all with the same brush brush just to suit their particular world view.

Gordy327
Professor Expert
2.1.9  Gordy327  replied to  Ed-NavDoc @2.1.8    3 years ago
There was no Blane on a particular subset

The unvaccinated is the "subset," and they are to blame. If everyone was vaccinated, we would have achieved herd immunity and possibly end the pandemic here.

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
2.2  Ozzwald  replied to  Tessylo @2    3 years ago
Thank you Governor Ivey!  A republican with some sense.  What a rarity!

Soon she will be censured, a recall petition by republicans will be circulated, and she will have no support from the RNC next election.

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
2.3  Greg Jones  replied to  Tessylo @2    3 years ago

What about......

all the unvaccinated illegals pouring over the border, aided, enabled, and abetted, by Papa Joe?

Kavika
Professor Principal
2.3.1  Kavika   replied to  Greg Jones @2.3    3 years ago
all the unvaccinated illegals pouring over the border, aided, enabled, and abetted, by Papa Joe?

What about the millions of citizens and legal residents that are not getting the vaccine?

Tessylo
Professor Principal
2.3.2  seeder  Tessylo  replied to  Greg Jones @2.3    3 years ago

That's not true.  

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
2.3.3  Ozzwald  replied to  Greg Jones @2.3    3 years ago

You have evidence that they are unvaccinated???

Tessylo
Professor Principal
2.3.4  seeder  Tessylo  replied to  Ozzwald @2.3.3    3 years ago

jrSmiley_40_smiley_image.gif

Dulay
Professor Expert
2.3.5  Dulay  replied to  Greg Jones @2.3    3 years ago

How about you post some EVIDENCE that your 'what about' is relevant Greg? 

Got any data on Covid infection surges caused by 'illegals'? 

From all of the articles I have read coming out of Texas media, the data shows that those released [BTFW, they are NOT 'illegals'] haven't caused infections. 

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
2.3.6  Thrawn 31  replied to  Greg Jones @2.3    3 years ago

I’m far more concerned with the tens of millions of total assholes already here who refuse to be vaccinated. They are the ones possibly fucking over the rest of us.

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
2.3.7  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  Tessylo @2.3.2    3 years ago

Yes, it most certainly is.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
2.3.8  seeder  Tessylo  replied to  Ed-NavDoc @2.3.7    3 years ago

No, it most certainly isn't.  

Kavika
Professor Principal
3  Kavika     3 years ago

In Florida, we have over 12,000 new cases yesterday and our governor said it's ''seasonal''...what a frickin moron.

As a country, we have over 60,000 new cases yesterday.

evilone
Professor Guide
3.1  evilone  replied to  Kavika @3    3 years ago

I saw that on the news last night. He really is an ass.

Gordy327
Professor Expert
3.2  Gordy327  replied to  Kavika @3    3 years ago

Remember when Trump said Covid would be over by the summer?

SteevieGee
Professor Silent
3.2.1  SteevieGee  replied to  Gordy327 @3.2    3 years ago

He didn't say which summer.

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
3.2.2  Ozzwald  replied to  SteevieGee @3.2.1    3 years ago
He didn't say which summer.

Good point.

Gordy327
Professor Expert
3.2.3  Gordy327  replied to  SteevieGee @3.2.1    3 years ago

Ok, fair enough 

CB
Professor Principal
3.2.4  CB  replied to  SteevieGee @3.2.1    3 years ago

Trump: Mr. 'Wiesel worder.' Yeah, he's a sly one.

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
3.3  Greg Jones  replied to  Kavika @3    3 years ago

Kavika wrote: "As a country, we have over 60,000 new cases yesterday".

So what? Don't wanna get Covid, get the shots. Actions, or the lack thereof, have consequences

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
3.3.1  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  Greg Jones @3.3    3 years ago

They gotta save the world doncha know. I just don't understand the need to infiltrate everyone's life and make them do what they may not want to. And yes they will pay the price but that's their choice. 

One other point. These are more "test results" than anything. Some of these cases are with those who HAVE been vaccinated. New cases doesn't mean much without the vaccinated, hospitalization and death figures.

evilone
Professor Guide
3.3.2  evilone  replied to  Greg Jones @3.3    3 years ago
So what? Don't wanna get Covid, get the shots. Actions, or the lack thereof, have consequences

There are those who CAN'T get the shot that these morons put in danger. Yes, killing someone because they are going through cancer treatments, or have an otherwise compromised immune system, could very well be one of those consequences.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
3.3.3  TᵢG  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @3.3.1    3 years ago
I just don't understand the need to infiltrate everyone's life and make them do what they may not want to

Do you understand that an unvaccinated person (unless they recovered from COVID) can carry the virus and serve as a host for creating new variants of the virus?

This affects everyone since these folks are interacting in society.   This is not like a personal choice to eat high cholesterol foods with a heart condition.   These individuals affect far more people than simply themselves.

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
3.3.4  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  TᵢG @3.3.3    3 years ago

But some of the infections are being carried by folks that have been vaccinated and get transmitted to those who haven't..............and in some cases, those that have.

And there are a lot of people out there who have concerns going forward. You must remember, these vaccines have only been approved by emergency edict and not fully vetted and some people are skeptical until all testing and normal approval processes have been followed. Can't say I blame them. It boils down to how much of a chance do you want to take and which "fork in the road" do you feel better about.

I had Covid and spent time in the ICU. I have now also had both doses of the Moderna. Doctor said I probably didn't need the vaccine due to the severity of my case and thus more than likely have antibodies but it couldn't hurt he said.

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
3.3.5  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  TᵢG @3.3.3    3 years ago

As I say below.............approval is key.

As U.S. regulators weigh giving the final stamp of approval for certain COVID-19 vaccines, governors in states hard hit by the pandemic hope the move will help persuade the many holdouts in their states to finally get the shot.

The governors of Arkansas and Ohio — where cases and hospitalizations are climbing — have appealed publicly in recent days for full approval, saying it would help combat vaccine hesitancy and could also clear the way for more businesses to require their employees to be inoculated.

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
3.3.6  Greg Jones  replied to  evilone @3.3.2    3 years ago

We're not talking about the minute number of people who can't the shots

[Deleted.]

TᵢG
Professor Principal
3.3.7  TᵢG  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @3.3.4    3 years ago
But some of the infections are being carried by folks that have been vaccinated and get transmitted to those who haven't..............and in some cases, those that have.

First of all, show me the facts on which you base that declaration.   How many vaccinated individuals have been shown to infect others?   

Key point remains.   The reason that everyone should be vaccinated (or at least have antibodies due to recovering from COVID) is because they can incubate new variants and they can infect others.   This is not simply a personal choice that affects only the individual.

Do you or do you not understand that?

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
3.3.8  Jack_TX  replied to  TᵢG @3.3.3    3 years ago
Do you understand that an unvaccinated person (unless they recovered from COVID) can carry the virus and serve as a host for creating new variants of the virus? This affects everyone since these folks are interacting in society.   This is not like a personal choice to eat high cholesterol foods with a heart condition.   These individuals affect far more people than simply themselves.

None of which justifies "making" people get an injection against their will.

The statistics are exceedingly clear and everybody keeps repeating them.  Vaccinated people are safe.  We are in a pandemic of the unvaccinated.  All of the deaths are unvaccinated people.

If these other people want to refuse the vaccine, it is their right to be stupid.

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
3.3.9  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  TᵢG @3.3.7    3 years ago
How many vaccinated individuals have been shown to infect others? 

No way to tell. I just commented and should have said "it's possible that" as there are cases where those vaccinated have gotten and tested positive after.

because they can incubate new variants and they can infect others.   This is not simply a personal choice that affects only the individual.

It's a two way street. If you don't want to take the chance on the vaccine, your choice and only go out when necessary. . If you don't want to take the chance of catching Covid, follow the guidelines, know your surroundings, be wary of those around you, and only go out when necessary.

And yes I understand that. The problem is you or anyone are not going to get 100% cooperation with your vi9ew of "the right thing". We can all try but to think our influence is going to change pig headed minds is a fool's errand.

Thanks for the discussion.

evilone
Professor Guide
3.3.10  evilone  replied to  Greg Jones @3.3.6    3 years ago
We're not talking about the minute number of people who can't the shots

No, your siding with the large number of people who have decided not to take the shot OVER the minute number or people who can't. Small comfort to those imperiled by stupidity.

Gordy327
Professor Expert
3.3.11  Gordy327  replied to  Jack_TX @3.3.8    3 years ago

I'd say a pandemic which has already killed hundreds of thousands in this country alone, which is not going away anytime soon, and is actually flaring up again in some states, is good justification to get the vaccine, even by government mandate.

And no, vaccinated people are not entirely safe. We have not yet achieved herd immunity. The unvaccinated can cause an increase in covid variants, which might make vaccinations less effective or even ineffective, thereby putting even those who have had vaccinations at risk. 

Ender
Professor Principal
3.3.12  Ender  replied to  Jack_TX @3.3.8    3 years ago

Does that mean we should do away with all mandated vaccines?

Vacs have been mandated for a long time, just for kids to be able to go to school and very few complained.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
3.3.13  seeder  Tessylo  replied to  evilone @3.3.2    3 years ago
"There are those who CAN'T get the shot that these morons put in danger. Yes, killing someone because they are going through cancer treatments, or have an otherwise compromised immune system, could very well be one of those consequences."

They don't give a shit about those who CAN'T get the vaccination.  

Tessylo
Professor Principal
3.3.14  seeder  Tessylo  replied to  TᵢG @3.3.7    3 years ago
"First of all, show me the facts on which you base that declaration.   How many vaccinated individuals have been shown to infect others?"  

Don't hold your breath.  

Tessylo
Professor Principal
3.3.15  seeder  Tessylo  replied to  Jack_TX @3.3.8    3 years ago
"If these other people want to refuse the vaccine, it is their right to be stupid."

It's not their 'right' to kill others.  

"None of which justifies "making" people get an injection against their will."

Who is 'making' anyone get an 'injection' against their will????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

People who are immunocompromised or cannot get a vaccine shouldn't have to be subjected to the ignorant fucking assholes who refuse to get vaccinated because they don't give a shit about anyone but themselves and clinging to their ignorance.   They're hateful ignorant scumbags garbage.  

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
3.3.16  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  Tessylo @3.3.13    3 years ago

Well if I were one of those unfortunates I sure as hell wouldn't put myself in a situation that would put me at risk for the disease. Mask up, distance, wash hands, don't go out unless complete necessity. In other words, just like the rest of us did prior to vaccine development, don't put yourself in danger.

And your "they" doesn't include me or anyone I know. I do give a shit about those people but ones who can but don't? Not so much.

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
3.3.17  Jack_TX  replied to  Gordy327 @3.3.11    3 years ago
I'd say a pandemic which has already killed hundreds of thousands in this country alone, which is not going away anytime soon, and is actually flaring up again in some states, is good justification to get the vaccine,

Absolutely.

even by government mandate.

Absolutely not.

And no, vaccinated people are not entirely safe.

They are "safe" by any measure of statistical significance.  The stairs in their home now present a greater mortality risk than Covid.

We have not yet achieved herd immunity.

The vaccinated herd has.

The unvaccinated can cause an increase in covid variants, which might make vaccinations less effective or even ineffective, thereby putting even those who have had vaccinations at risk. 

We do not forcibly inject people over the fear of the highly unlikely event that something might potentially go wrong. 

So you intend to say to American citizens "other people are afraid that something bad might happen so you have to get a shot".  Really?

The next time you're wondering how shit got so crazy that we actually elected Donald Trump, there is your answer.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
3.3.18  seeder  Tessylo  replied to  Jack_TX @3.3.17    3 years ago
"We do not forcibly inject people over the fear of the highly unlikely event that something might potentially go wrong." 

No one is fucking forcibly injecting anyone.   

"The next time you're wondering how shit got so crazy that we actually elected Donald Trump, there is your answer."

Unfucking real.  YOU elected that human pile of shit, NOT US.  

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
3.3.19  Jack_TX  replied to  Ender @3.3.12    3 years ago
Does that mean we should do away with all mandated vaccines? Vacs have been mandated for a long time, just for kids to be able to go to school and very few complained.

In most places, you can get a religious exemption for your kid and they can attend school unvaccinated.  Frankly, most of these hard-core types either homeschool their kids or send them to private schools so they won't "be indoctrinated by leftists".  

So the current "mandates" are really, really soft.  With Covid, we're also talking about a disease that seems to bypass children altogether.

We have employer enforced requirements, which have recently been upheld in court (rightfully so, IMO).

But government mandates are entirely different.  Living in a free society means allowing other adults to do shit even when it's really stupid and potentially dangerous.

devangelical
Professor Principal
3.3.20  devangelical  replied to  Jack_TX @3.3.19    3 years ago
most of these hard-core types either homeschool their kids or send them to private schools so they won't "be indoctrinated by leftists"

which is why I basically have no problem with these dumb asses self exterminating each other. I'm only worried about the collateral human damage.

Ender
Professor Principal
3.3.21  Ender  replied to  Jack_TX @3.3.19    3 years ago

There are kids that have died from it. I know the school thing is kind of a bad analogy because we don't even have one for kids.

I don't see why this should be looked at any differently than someone intentionally spreading aids around.

Ender
Professor Principal
3.3.22  Ender  replied to  devangelical @3.3.20    3 years ago
the collateral human damage

That is the thing.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
3.3.23  TᵢG  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @3.3.9    3 years ago
The problem is you or anyone are not going to get 100% cooperation with your vi9ew of "the right thing".

Of course 100% cooperation will not be achieved;  that has not been argued.

And you suggest that this is my view of the right thing;  implying you do not share that view.

Do you then disagree with the idea that those who do not possess antibodies to fight COVID and variants are hosts for mutations and carry the means to infect others and thus their choice to not get vaccinated does not simply affect them as an individual but all those with whom they interact?

TᵢG
Professor Principal
3.3.24  TᵢG  replied to  Jack_TX @3.3.8    3 years ago
If these other people want to refuse the vaccine, it is their right to be stupid.

Is it their right to be irresponsible and put others at risk by hosting a virus that could then mutate in their bodies?

Tessylo
Professor Principal
3.3.25  seeder  Tessylo  replied to  devangelical @3.3.20    3 years ago
"So the current "mandates" are really, really soft.  With Covid, we're also talking about a disease that seems to bypass children altogether."

THIS IS DANGEROUS AND VERY IGNORANT THINKING.  CHILDREN ARE DYING FROM THIS THANKS TO THE IGNORANT SCUM WHO REFUSE TO GET VACCINATED.

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
3.3.26  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  TᵢG @3.3.23    3 years ago

Nope. Don't disagree at all. I do share that view but not quite and Utopian based as your view. There are some who will cling to the bitter end and we can't help them. To harp on it ad nauseum seems like an exercise in futility. You can only help as much as people want to be helped...............even at their own peril. And again, if someone is afraid of getting Covid from the dumbass "no vaccine for me" crowd, take the precautions as prescribed for over a year and most of all, only go out where and when you feel safe.

Gordy327
Professor Expert
3.3.27  Gordy327  replied to  Tessylo @3.3.25    3 years ago

Children seem to have a much higher rate of infection from the Delta variant then from the "original" covid.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
3.3.28  TᵢG  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @3.3.26    3 years ago
I do share that view but not quite and Utopian based as your view.

What is utopian in what I described?

There are some who will cling to the bitter end and we can't help them. To harp on it ad nauseum seems like an exercise in futility.

How could you possibly characterize my comments as harping on the small minority (lunatic fringe) who will cling to the bitter end??   See Jim, this is the kind of bullshit spin that brings rebuke.   If the problem were just the lunatic fringe then this would not be an issue.   The problem is that roughly half of the USA population is NOT vaccinated.   Seeking more people to get vaccinated under those conditions is not utopian.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
3.3.29  Trout Giggles  replied to  evilone @3.3.2    3 years ago

I made that same argument yesterday and got crickets

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
3.3.30  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  TᵢG @3.3.28    3 years ago

I didn't say you personally harping FFS TiG. But it is noble for you to take up the fight for those you don't know. I don't feel compelled to do the same. My message is as it always was. Get the vaccine. I have a release coming out at the request of my doctor and his medical group and it's also going to appear in the Charlotte Observer in the near future about my 27 day battle with Covid. The reason I decided to do it was to let people know just what it's like to lay in ICU for a week and 9 more days in the "general population" in the hospital and ultimately 11 more days of "Healthy at Home" inpatient care and survive. The whole point is to help just one fence sitter to finally go to the healthy side.

Since, with the suggestion from my doctor, I have gotten the Moderna regimen and had some side effects but nothing like that stint in the hospital. You can only convey a near death experience so much. Some will listen, some will not. But again, I can only do so much and will not make it the main thrust in my life. Too much other living to do.

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
3.3.31  Jack_TX  replied to  TᵢG @3.3.24    3 years ago
Is it their right to be irresponsible and put others at risk by hosting a virus that could then mutate in their bodies?

Absolutely.

These people represent far less danger to you and me than someone with garden variety influenza.....for which we don't mandate vaccinations.

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
3.3.32  Jack_TX  replied to  devangelical @3.3.20    3 years ago
which is why I basically have no problem with these dumb asses self exterminating each other.

My thoughts exactly.

I'm only worried about the collateral human damage.

The statistics tell us very clearly that this risk is exceedingly small.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
3.3.33  seeder  Tessylo  replied to  Jack_TX @3.3.32    3 years ago
"The statistics tell us very clearly that this risk is exceedingly small."

That right there is bullshit.  

You need to show the stats to back that up.

I won't hold my breath.  

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
3.3.34  Jack_TX  replied to  Ender @3.3.21    3 years ago
I don't see why this should be looked at any differently than someone intentionally spreading aids around.

Except we're talking about people who don't actually have the disease currently and are not intentionally spreading anything.  

Tessylo
Professor Principal
3.3.35  seeder  Tessylo  replied to  Jack_TX @3.3.34    3 years ago

So no stats Jack?

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
3.3.36  sandy-2021492  replied to  evilone @3.3.2    3 years ago

Not to mention, kids under 12 are still unable to get the vaccine.  That's a lot of little vectors running around, and school is about to start up again.  And even though kids still don't seem to be getting very sick from Covid, every replication in an infected person is a chance at a new mutatoin.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
3.3.37  seeder  Tessylo  replied to  Jack_TX @3.3.34    3 years ago

"Except we're talking about people who don't actually have the disease currently and are not intentionally spreading anything." 

You don't know that.  They could be carriers/positive but not showing/having any symptoms.  

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
3.3.38  sandy-2021492  replied to  Ender @3.3.12    3 years ago
Vacs have been mandated for a long time, just for kids to be able to go to school and very few complained.

I just took my son for his mandated meningococcal vaccine this morning.  All returning high school seniors have to have it to enter the building.  That's a new requirement for Virginia this year.  I never heard or read a word of objection to it.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
3.3.39  TᵢG  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @3.3.30    3 years ago
I didn't say you personally harping FFS TiG.

When you reply to a person with an allegation it will almost always be interpreted as directly applying to them.

I have a release coming out at the request of my doctor and his medical group and it's also going to appear in the Charlotte Observer in the near future about my 27 day battle with Covid. The reason I decided to do it was to let people know just what it's like to lay in ICU for a week and 9 more days in the "general population" in the hospital and ultimately 11 more days of "Healthy at Home" inpatient care and survive. The whole point is to help just one fence sitter to finally go to the healthy side.

Kudos!   jrSmiley_81_smiley_image.gif

Drakkonis
Professor Guide
3.3.40  Drakkonis  replied to  TᵢG @3.3.7    3 years ago
Key point remains.   The reason that everyone should be vaccinated (or at least have antibodies due to recovering from COVID) is because they can incubate new variants and they can infect others.   This is not simply a personal choice that affects only the individual.

Not an expert in this but it's my understanding that even vaccinated people can contract Covid. It just doesn't make them sick, in most cases. If this is so, aren't vaccinated people capable of creating new variants as well? I understand a vaccinated person would be a harder petri dish in which the virus to modify itself but it's still trying to make a more successful version of itself in spite of that, isn't it? 

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
3.3.41  sandy-2021492  replied to  Drakkonis @3.3.40    3 years ago

Capable of?  Yes.  But much less likely to.  It's always been about lessening the odds of spread and mutation, not eliminating either entirely.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
3.3.42  TᵢG  replied to  Jack_TX @3.3.31    3 years ago
These people represent far less danger to you and me than someone with garden variety influenza.....for which we don't mandate vaccinations.

So the delta outbreak in India, for example, should be ignored and we should not be concerned about those lacking antibodies serving as potential hosts for new variants with unpredictable properties?  

I disagree.

Not getting vaccinated (unless one has the antibodies) is irresponsible.

When public safety is an issue, society most definitely has the right to impose restrictions.  

TᵢG
Professor Principal
3.3.43  TᵢG  replied to  Drakkonis @3.3.40    3 years ago
If this is so, aren't vaccinated people capable of creating new variants as well?

The human body (and life in general) is extremely complex.   We all react slightly differently to vaccines and viruses.   So certainly there are exceptions, but I am speaking of the rule.   The vaccines are generally held to prevent the transmission of COVID-19 (and known variants) and prevent the incubation of new variants within a host.

Have you read otherwise?

Drakkonis
Professor Guide
3.3.44  Drakkonis  replied to  sandy-2021492 @3.3.41    3 years ago
Capable of?  Yes.  But much less likely to.  It's always been about lessening the odds of spread and mutation, not eliminating either entirely.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not trying to make a case against vaccination or anything. But what worries me more than new variants being created among the unvaccinated is a new  variant created among the vaccinated for which the vaccine would be ineffective. As I said, not an expert, but wouldn't that version of Covid be a lot nastier than what an unvaccinated person is likely to develop? 

Again, not an argument against vaccination. Personally, I think getting vaccinated is a smart move and I have gone that rout myself. 

Tacos!
Professor Guide
3.3.45  Tacos!  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @3.3.4    3 years ago
You must remember, these vaccines have only been approved by emergency edict and not fully vetted and some people are skeptical until all testing and normal approval processes have been followed.

I think that would be a reasonable concern if only a small number of people were receiving the medicine. In that case, you might want to wait until thorough studies covering a large sample size had been completed. Fair enough.

But as of today, 3.74 BILLION doses of various vaccines have been administered  worldwide, with serious life-threatening reactions numbering in the tiniest fractions of a percent, and even most of those cannot yet be directly attributed to the vaccines themselves. Statistically, a typical person is in FAR more danger from the virus - and by orders of magnitude.

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
3.3.46  sandy-2021492  replied to  Drakkonis @3.3.44    3 years ago
But what worries me more than new variants being created among the unvaccinated is a new  variant created among the vaccinated for which the vaccine would be ineffective. As I said, not an expert, but wouldn't that version of Covid be a lot nastier than what an unvaccinated person is likely to develop? 

Not necessarily.  The vaccine wouldn't push mutation in any particular direction.  Emergence of new strains is dependent on the number of times a virus replicates itself.  It replicates more quickly in unvaccinated people than in vaccinated people, resulting in a higher rate of mutation, which may lead to new strains.  Stopping replication by stopping spread is the most effective way to prevent new strains from emerging.  Right now, the best method we have of stopping spread is the vaccine.

Drakkonis
Professor Guide
3.3.47  Drakkonis  replied to  TᵢG @3.3.43    3 years ago
Have you read otherwise?

No. Your comment made me think about the issue of possible variants emerging from the vaccinated is all. It's likely orders of magnitude less likely in the vaccinated than the unvaccinated to develop a variant, but possible. Or so it seems. 

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
3.3.48  Jack_TX  replied to  TᵢG @3.3.42    3 years ago
So the delta outbreak in India, for example, should be ignored and we should not be concerned about those lacking antibodies serving as potential hosts for new variants with unpredictable properties?   I disagree.

There is an enormous chasm between "concern" and "government mandate".  I'm not exactly sure what you intend to do about it in India, anyway.

Not getting vaccinated (unless one has the antibodies) is irresponsible.

Yes.

When public safety is an issue, society most definitely has the right to impose restrictions. 

Your fear of some potential problem that doesn't currently exist and looks incredibly unlikely does not give you the right to mandate other people accept medical treatment they do not want.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
3.3.49  TᵢG  replied to  Jack_TX @3.3.48    3 years ago
I'm not exactly sure what you intend to do about it in India, anyway.

It was an example illustrating that COVID-19 variants do exist and can wreak havoc.

Your fear of some potential problem that doesn't currently exist and looks incredibly unlikely does not give you the right to mandate other people accept medical treatment they do not want .

Fear ?   My comments are not based on emotion.   And the problem does indeed exist;  the delta variant is in the USA: " Covid cases are rising again in all 50 states across U.S. as delta variant tightens its grip "

And I did not state ' mandate that people get vaccinations' ( not at this stage ) but rather impose restrictions to protect society.   Impose restrictions includes wearing of masks, social distancing, proof of vaccine, etc.    People who are vaccinated (or who have antibodies by virtue of recovering from COVID) would have fewer restrictions.   Idea is if someone is going to knowingly walk about while capable of getting infected, incubating and spreading variants of the disease, they do not have the right to contribute to yet another pandemic.

Drakkonis
Professor Guide
3.3.50  Drakkonis  replied to  sandy-2021492 @3.3.46    3 years ago

Makes sense. As horrible as viruses often tend to be, they're also fascinating. It seems there's some argument about whether they are even alive. 

In any case, I agree that vaccination is the best we can do to fight this. However, I understand the concern some have over taking it, since it was developed in a crash program and only authorized under emergency conditions. Even though I'm vaccinated, that still concerns me as well. I hope that, next summer, I'm not stumbling around looking for brains to eat with a horde of the undead looking for the same thing : )

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
3.3.51  Jack_TX  replied to  TᵢG @3.3.49    3 years ago
And I did not state ' mandate that people get vaccinations' ( not at this stage )

The entire conversation revolves around Gordy's original statement in @ 3.3.11 that vaccinations should be achieved "even by government mandate."

And the problem does indeed exist;  the delta variant is in the USA: "   Covid cases are rising again in all 50 states across U.S. as delta variant tightens its grip  "

As we are repeatedly told, we are in "a pandemic of the unvaccinated".  Statistics tell us that unvaccinated people account for the overwhelming majority of cases and nearly 100% of the fatalities.  We've had fewer than 900 Covid deaths among 161,000,000 vaccinated people.  Statistically, we're in the same ballpark as accidental drowning.

Idea is if someone is going to knowingly walk about while capable of getting infected, incubating and spreading variants of the disease, they do not have the  right  to contribute to yet another pandemic.

They do.  The same way they have the right to drive their cars, despite the risk of them killing you in an accident....which is massively higher than them killing you with Covid.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
3.3.52  TᵢG  replied to  Jack_TX @3.3.51    3 years ago
The entire conversation revolves around Gordy's original statement in

But my statement revolves around the words I actually wrote.

Statistically, we're in the same ballpark as accidental drowning.

My point is still that unvaccinated people serve as hosts for creating new strains.   Ergo my reference to the delta variant article.

They are thus impacting society.   I do not agree with you that an individual has the right to infect others or incubate new unknown variants.  

They do.   The same way they have the right to drive their cars, despite the risk of them killing you in an accident....

Do we have the right to drive while intoxicated?   Is this right curtailed for public safety?

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
3.3.53  sandy-2021492  replied to  Drakkonis @3.3.50    3 years ago
It seems there's some argument about whether they are even alive.

There is, due to the fact that they cannot reproduce independently of other species.

I do understand the concerns about taking the vaccine.  To some degree, I had them myself.  But the side effects of the vaccine are so much less dangerous than the infection itself for all but a very tiny minority of people, and the result of not taking the vaccine is the continuation of the pandemic, with more infectious and possibly more virulent strains emerging on occasion, as we've already seen.  To me, it boils down to the needs of the many outweighing the inconvenience to the one.

I was one of those who had some pretty rough side effects from the vaccine.  Nothing dangerous, but at least as uncomfortable as any time I've had the flu.  I'd do it again in a heartbeat, though, to put an end to this mess.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
3.3.54  seeder  Tessylo  replied to  TᵢG @3.3.42    3 years ago

People should get the flu vaccine and co-vid regardless if it is 'the garden variety influenza' 

Another statement that is just so lackadaisical.  I don't get it

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
3.3.55  Jack_TX  replied to  TᵢG @3.3.52    3 years ago
My point is still that unvaccinated people serve as hosts for creating new strains.   Ergo my reference to the delta variant article. They are thus impacting society.   I do not agree with you that an individual has the right to infect others or incubate new unknown variants.

That's not any different than with garden variety influenza, except that garden variety influenza is now actually vastly more dangerous than Covid to anyone with enough sense to get a shot.  That includes the delta variant, BTW.

If we were talking about restricting the rights of people who actively had the flu, much less those who don't have the flu but just didn't get a flu shot...all on the off chance they may be some sort of walking petri dish...people would call that crazy.  Because it is.

The statistics on this are overwhelming, and I'm sticking with them until they change so no....we're not going to agree on curtailing the rights of American citizens because some people are afraid the vaccine won't protect them despite massive evidence to the contrary.

Do we have the right to drive while intoxicated?   Is this right curtailed for public safety?

You're not talking about people who actually have the virus.  What you're talking about would be equivalent to restricting driving rights for people based on the idea that they might get drunk at some unspecified point in the future and drive through a school pickup line at 70mph.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
3.3.56  seeder  Tessylo  replied to  Jack_TX @3.3.55    3 years ago

There is no comparison.  There is absolutely no restricting of anyone's rights no matter how many times you repeat these nonsensical/ridiculous claims/comparisons.  

You are trolling.  It's exasperating and tiresome and completely devoid of any sense or reason

TᵢG
Professor Principal
3.3.57  TᵢG  replied to  Jack_TX @3.3.55    3 years ago
That's not any different than with garden variety influenza, except that garden variety influenza is now actually vastly more dangerous than Covid to anyone with enough sense to get a shot.  That includes the delta variant, BTW.

This reads as though you do not see a difference between COVID-19 (and its variants) and garden variety influenza.   Unless by 'that' you are referring to the fact that a human body can serve as a host for variants, but that is both obvious and I have never suggested otherwise.   So, given that and the balance of your post, it seems you are equating COVID-19 with the flu.   If so, it is hard to imagine what you are reading to come to such a conclusion.

Anyway, giving you the benefit of the doubt, I will assume you recognize the substantial difference in contagion rates, mortality rates and long-term organ damage. 

If we were talking about restricting the rights of people who actively had the flu , much less those who don't have the flu but just didn't get a flu shot...all on the off chance they may be some sort of walking petri dish...people would call that crazy.  Because it is.

Sure, and it would be crazy to impose harsh restrictions on those with the common cold.  But, again, we are not talking about the flu or the common cold but rather the virus that caused a worldwide pandemic due to its contagion rate, mortality rate and long term organ damage.

The statistics on this are overwhelming, and I'm sticking with them until they change so no....we're not going to agree on curtailing the rights of American citizens because some people are afraid the vaccine won't protect them despite massive evidence to the contrary.

What statistics are you referring to?   For example, do you disagree with this report ?:

The Delta (B.1.617.2) coronavirus variant originally discovered in India last December has now become the most dominant — and worrisome — strain of the coronavirus circulating globally. Research indicates that it is the most transmissible variant yet — as much as 60 percent more contagious than the Alpha (U.K./B.1.1.7) variant, which itself fueled numerous waves of the pandemic around the world. Delta has already spread to at least 124 countries and prompted explosive outbreaks in countries or areas of countries with low vaccination rates. In the U.S., Delta has quickly become the dominant strain: On July 20, the CDC estimated that Delta now accounts for 83 percent of all new sequenced cases in the country — up from 50 percent at the beginning of the month. On top of all that, Delta may be more likely to infect people who are only partially vaccinated than other strains, and may also come with a higher risk of hospitalization. Below is what we know about the Delta variant.

You're not talking about people who actually have the virus.

Jack, I stuck with your analogy to make a point.   I am not going to get into an analogy nuance debate.   You either understood my point or you did not.

We have a right to drive but not the right to drive while under the influence and thus potentially cause harm to others.   The ' under influence ' condition crosses a threshold where society should limit an individual freedom.

There are points where individual freedoms are limited for the betterment of society.   Society (our society) does not impose restrictions on those with a cold (e.g. must wear a mask) but if the contagion+mortality+long-term-damage risks hit a certain point, obviously society should (and does) step in.  Surely you agree that worldwide nations were correct to impose restrictions in an attempt to control the pandemic.   If so, why would you object to imposing restrictions to mitigate a resurgence?

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
3.3.58  Jack_TX  replied to  TᵢG @3.3.57    3 years ago
Unless by 'that' you are referring to the fact that a human body can serve as a host for variants, but that is both obvious and I have never suggested otherwise.

Yes, that was my meaning.

So, given that and the balance of your post, it seems you are equating COVID-19 with the flu.   If so, it is hard to imagine what you are reading to come to such a conclusion.

I'm reading statistics on vaccinated people.

Anyway, giving you the benefit of the doubt, I will assume you recognize the substantial difference in contagion rates, mortality rates and long-term organ damage. 

Not.  Among. Vaccinated. People.

Read the CDC data.

We have a right to drive but not the right to drive while under the influence and thus potentially cause harm to others.   The ' under influence ' condition crosses a threshold where society should limit an individual freedom.

We limit the rights of those people because driving under the influence creates a higher than acceptable probability that a person will have an accident and injure themselves or someone else. 

That analogy falls apart because we have convincing data that Covid does not represent a mortality risk to vaccinated people and therefore unvaccinated people represent no mortality risk to vaccinated people.  Your entire assertion is based on the fear that these people may allow a mutation of the Covid virus to incubate and that the vaccines may prove completely ineffective against said mutation, despite the established fact that the vaccines have proven effective against every variant so far.  

You believe that fear is sufficient justification to limit the rights of American citizens.  I argue it is not, because there is no statistical evidence to indicate this is happening.

CB
Professor Principal
3.3.59  CB  replied to  TᵢG @3.3.42    3 years ago

By the way, it calls itself community because we are expected to be civil in it. Not just a glommed-on mixed collection of heads, lips, and nether-regions. I pity the foolish people who join communities looking for a frontier wilderness.

CB
Professor Principal
3.3.60  CB  replied to  Drakkonis @3.3.40    3 years ago

First, the motivation is to stay alive in this world, in order to deal with getting rid of any variant Covid that proliferates. Second, any variant that eeks itself out of a vaccinated host will highly likely be crippled and diminished in the body of another individual, in my opinion. Unless, we are considering some "super bug."

CB
Professor Principal
3.3.61  CB  replied to  Jack_TX @3.3.58    3 years ago
You believe that fear is sufficient justification to limit the rights of American citizens.  I argue it is not, because there is no statistical evidence to indicate this is happening.

Jack, your 'argument' is this: Wait for the destructive translation of the virus that surpasses our vaccine 'firewall' of protection before taking hearty preparations to deny it entry. Vaccines are several, but at a distant they are our 'single' line of defense. We're banking a great many lives in this world on 'it.'

We need backups; we need more assurances.

Have you not observed that we have lost some really good people in the hundreds of thousands (and we could have lost even Donald Trump-he did become sickened by COVID 19)?

When this novel virus ruptures our vaccine we want to be ahead of it with new defensive postures readily and handily available! We do not want a "Tsunami" to crash into our strong and only fortified 'firewall' that would be irresponsible—for we certainly have enough life experience to know better.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
3.3.62  TᵢG  replied to  Jack_TX @3.3.58    3 years ago
Not.  Among. Vaccinated. People.

Well of course not among vaccinated people.   I am not talking about vaccinated people as the hosts.    I am talking about unvaccinated people as the hosts.   Obviously.   That established, vaccinated people are potentially vulnerable to new variants that could be produced in the hosts.   Finally, in the USA about ½ of the population (and approximately ⅓ of the adult population) are potential hosts.

That analogy falls apart because we have convincing data that Covid does not represent a mortality risk to vaccinated people and therefore unvaccinated people represent no mortality risk to vaccinated people. 

How could you possibly think that my series of comments were about vaccinated people?    That would make no sense.   I have been talking about unvaccinated people.   They are the potential hosts;  vaccinated people are unlikely (albeit possible) hosts.   Unvaccinnated is what I have been writing about; per the topic of this seed.   And if the unvaccinated population in the USA were about 10% then I would not even raise this concern;  but that is not the case.    When approximately ½ (and ⅓ of adults) of the population is unvaccinated one cannot simply dismiss the unvaccinated as irrelevant.

Your entire assertion is based on the fear that these people may allow a mutation of the Covid virus to incubate and that the vaccines may prove completely ineffective against said mutation, despite the established fact that the vaccines have proven effective against every variant so far.  

Why do you insist on attributing 'fear' to my comments?   That is incorrect;  I ask you to not characterize my comments that way;  it is incorrect.

Now, in response, my concern is this:

1. Approximately ½ of the US population (and approximately ⅓ of the adult population) is unvaccinated and thus a potential host
  2. A host carries the virus in an active state and can infect others
  3. A host enables mutation of the virus
  4. The virus has already demonstrated the ability to mutate
  5. A future mutation may not be containable (it might be harmless yet it might be immune to the vaccine)
  6. The more hosts the more chances for a harmful mutation
  7. Given the contagion rates of COVID-19, we still have plenty of people in the population to cause a resurgence of the pandemic.   Contagion rates are spiking in various areas of the nation.  

Society has the right, and the responsibility, to impose appropriate, reasonable restrictions for safety.

Gordy327
Professor Expert
3.3.63  Gordy327  replied to  Jack_TX @3.3.17    3 years ago
Absolutely not.

Why not?

They are "safe" by any measure of statistical significance.  The stairs in their home now present a greater mortality risk than Covid.

They are not necessarily safe from virus variants, which may arise from unvaccinated people. A vaccines is only effective against a specific virus and not different strains of the virus.

The vaccinated herd has.

That demonstrates a lack of understanding of herd immunity.

We do not forcibly inject people over the fear of the highly unlikely event that something might potentially go wrong. 

No one is being forcibly injected with anything. But viral mutations happen all the time. 

So you intend to say to American citizens "other people are afraid that something bad might happen so you have to get a shot".  Really?

Dying from Covid or potentially being the cause of other people contracting and possibly dying from covid does seem to qualify as "something bad."

The next time you're wondering how shit got so crazy that we actually elected Donald Trump, there is your answer.

I've always said people are generally stupid and irrational. Never underestimate the stupidity of the American people.

you can get a religious exemption

Ah yes, religious exemption. The ultimate "get out of jail free" card, allowing one to do almost whatever they want.

With Covid, we're also talking about a disease that seems to bypass children altogether.

Children have been infected with Covid. Just not at the rate of adults. But the Delta variant also seems to infect children at a higher rate than "original" Covid. 

Living in a free society means allowing other adults to do shit even when it's really stupid and potentially dangerous.

Not when it puts other people at risk.

Influenza is not as virulent or contagious as Covid. Although, many businesses, especially those in the healthcare industry, do mandate influenza vaccines.

Drakkonis
Professor Guide
3.3.64  Drakkonis  replied to  TᵢG @3.3.62    3 years ago
Now, in response, my concern is this:
  1. Approximately ½ of the US population (and approximately ⅓ of the adult population) is unvaccinated and thus a potential host

I get where you're coming from but I wonder how much it matters if there's not a world wide push for vaccinations? I think you're largely right in what you're saying but even if every American got the vaccination months ago, the Delta variant would still exist. 65 out of every 100 people on the planet are still unvaccinated. I assume some of those 65 got immunity through having the virus, but that still leaves a lot of hosts out there creating other possible variants for which the vaccine may not be effective. 

I don't intend to convey the idea that getting vaccinated isn't all that important. What I'm wondering is, how effective will the vaccination program as a whole be in the US, even if every one of us got the vaccine if there's still billions of people out there potentially creating new variants in other countries? Even if the other half of US citizens got vaccinated, that's still a tiny fraction compared to those who remain unvaccinated world wide. I don't see even a wildly high vaccination rate in this country changing our situation all that much. We would still be in the same boat we're in now, it seems to me. 

To be clear, I understand and even agree with you that Americans need to be vaccinated for all the reasons you and Sandy have been giving, yet I doubt the efficacy of it overall if the rest of the world goes largely unvaccinated. That is, we still have the same problem regardless of how many get vaccinated in the US. 

Of course, I have no idea how much of the world population got natural immunity through contracting and surviving the virus or how that can be calculated into just how that affects the issue going forward. Apparently a little over a third of the world has received the vaccine to date but that doesn't tell us how much of the world has the antibodies for Covid. I'm hoping it's a large number because I don't see a lot of effort to get vaccinations to much of the poorer parts of the world. 

FLYNAVY1
Professor Guide
3.3.65  FLYNAVY1  replied to  Drakkonis @3.3.40    3 years ago

In biology, given the wide spectrum of natural variation, there are no absolutes as to the vaccinated not being able to generate a variant.  The point that should taken though is that in upwards of 85% or more of the vaccinated, the virus can't even reproduce in the host, thus it dies there, or doesn't mutate.  And if you can get to the point of herd immunity, even those that can throw a variant, chances are that it still won't find a suitable host to reproduce in.

Bottom line..... get everyone vaccinated.

igknorantzrulz
PhD Quiet
3.3.66  igknorantzrulz  replied to  FLYNAVY1 @3.3.65    3 years ago
Bottom line..... get everyone vaccinated.

yet, even supposedly intelligen tindividuals, tend to wish to evade the obvious with a what aboutism rushing around the end, where we should have (been) passed, long ago 

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
3.3.67  Jack_TX  replied to  CB @3.3.61    3 years ago
We need backups; we need more assurances.

Certainly. 

Those do not include limiting the rights of American citizens.

Let's not pretend that's all we can do.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
3.3.68  TᵢG  replied to  Drakkonis @3.3.64    3 years ago
I don't intend to convey the idea that getting vaccinated isn't all that important. What I'm wondering is, how effective will the vaccination program as a whole be in the US, even if every one of us got the vaccine if there's still billions of people out there potentially creating new variants in other countries?

My reaction is that we cannot control the world.   Same goes for pollution and global warming considerations.   We cannot, for example, stop the creation of new variants in India.   But we can do our part.   We can mitigate the spread of the virus into new hosts here in the USA.   If the balance of the planet does not do similarly then, depending upon the conditions, we could do as Canada did and restrict travel into our country.

I am not suggesting that things will get that bad, just noting what can be done if we do our part and the balance of the planet does not.

And we might see the recent delta surge here in the USA simply spike and settle.   It certainly is possible.   But it seems to me that this virus is not something we should be toying with.   If a variant emerges that defies our vaccines we have 2020 all over again.    Maybe a remote possibility, but a possibility nonetheless and one that correlates with the number of potential hosts.

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
3.3.69  Jack_TX  replied to  TᵢG @3.3.62    3 years ago
How could you possibly think that my series of comments were about vaccinated people? 

Oh for God's sake.

I understand you completely.  

Once again... Your entire point is based on the "concern" that disease incubating in unvaccinated people will spread to vaccinated people and that all vaccines will prove ineffective.  The current data says this is unfounded.

You believe this warrants restricting the rights of healthy unvaccinated people.

We disagree on this.  I do not and will not support restricting the rights of American citizens based on a statistically unsupported "concern" that something bad might happen if we don't.

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
3.3.70  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  sandy-2021492 @3.3.36    3 years ago

I just saw an interview with Laura Trump saying that she is thrilled when her children get sick.  Her justification is that it builds antibodies.  What kind of sick twisted mom is thrilled when their children get sick.  She is a true Trump who has not cared that half a million have died from his virus.

igknorantzrulz
PhD Quiet
3.3.71  igknorantzrulz  replied to  Jack_TX @3.3.69    3 years ago
on a statistically unsupported "concern" that something bad might happen if we don't.

so you're taking the Trump approach, as it might just disappear and go away, because in about thos e words Trump did cause the decay that ate tens of thousands of lives away, cause 'God' forbid, we infringe upon ANY 'Right', cause America has deemed "itself" SPECIAL, and above the need to attempt to protect those obviously at risk, but with a broom and a whisk, wish it all away like trump did say, and that worked out so swell for so many dead and gone, but hey, 'your' right to your 'rights', could NEVER BE WRONG, now could it....?

igknorantzrulz
PhD Quiet
3.3.72  igknorantzrulz  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @3.3.70    3 years ago
Trump saying that she is thrilled when her children get sick.  Her justification is that it builds antibodies.  Wh

i be thrilled if the ENTIRE TRUMP CLAN GOT SICK

Cull the fckn herd

is the word!

Ender
Professor Principal
3.3.73  Ender  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @3.3.70    3 years ago

I guarantee she has gotten her kids vaccinated to attend private school.

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
3.3.74  sandy-2021492  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @3.3.70    3 years ago

You know, I get the reasoning that exposing children to pathogens gives them immunity to those pathogens.  But if, via a vaccine, that immunity can be acquired without getting sick, then I'd rather do it that way.  Parents used to have "pox parties" so that their kids would get chicken pox while they were young and get it over with.  There was actually some logic to that.  But now we have the varicella vaccine, so kids can bypass that infection, and its sequelae, shingles.  I'm thrilled that my son likely won't have to worry about getting shingles, because he is immune to chicken pox without ever having had to suffer chicken pox.

Parents like Lara Trump also forget that there are multiple cancers associated with viral infections.  Oral, cervical, and anal cancers are associated with human papillomavirus.  Lymphomas are linked to Epstein-Barr virus (the virus that causes mononucleosis).  Those who are scared of Covid vaccines "changing our DNA" either do not know or have conveniently forgotten that viruses insert their DNA into our chromosomes, sometimes with deadly results far beyond a wart or bout of mononucleosis.

Ender
Professor Principal
3.3.75  Ender  replied to  sandy-2021492 @3.3.74    3 years ago

I had the mumps as a kid. Wasn't fun. I remember being swollen and not able to do anything.

Dulay
Professor Expert
3.3.76  Dulay  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @3.3.5    3 years ago

What I find ironic is that the 'vaccine hesitant' are the same people that will scoff down a corn dog at the drop of a hat. 

I seriously doubt that most of these people actually give a shit what they put in their bodies. I work with 4 unvaccinated people that eat packaged junk food that contains unpronounceable ingredients and a ton of sugar and salt every day. 

All too many base their decision on political ideology. 

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
3.3.77  sandy-2021492  replied to  Ender @3.3.75    3 years ago

I had measles, but it was before I was old enough to remember.

And I remember chicken pox being pretty damned miserable.  I have some scars left over from it.  My brother and sister caught it from me, and my sis had a pretty bad case, too.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
3.3.78  TᵢG  replied to  Jack_TX @3.3.69    3 years ago
Oh for God's sake.

Don't get exasperated, I simply responded to your:

Jack @3.3.58 ☞ Not.  Among. Vaccinated. People.

You felt compelled to slowly state this to me so naturally I take that to mean you think I was talking about vaccinated people.

Once again... Your entire point is based on the "concern" that disease incubating in unvaccinated people will spread to vaccinated people and that all vaccines will prove ineffective.  The current data says this is unfounded.

You keep talking about this data that shows our vaccines will be effective against new variants (read:  we do not yet know about them;   i.e. delta and lambda are not new variants) that could emerge (mutations, just like delta and lambda) in hosts?    And where do you find data suggesting that we should have no concern with the great number of potential hosts for these new variants in the USA?

Look, Jack, I am not arguing that the world is coming to end even though you keep trying to portray my position as an extreme.   My position is that as long as a large portion of the population remains vulnerable to infection (the unvaccinated) they serve as a liability to themselves and potentially the vaccinated via new variants.    Further, my position is that society most definitely has the right to impose restrictions if it sees a credible threat to the safety of the population.   Just like society can restrict DUI or impose quarantines for highly infectious people.   We do not, as individuals, have universal rights to do as we please to the point of harming others.

Right now I take no issue with masks and social distancing appearing again in hot spots.   As we see indications of potential outbreaks more aggressive measures might be necessary.   If so, then we should take them.  The objective is to be free of this ongoing threat.

Ender
Professor Principal
3.3.79  Ender  replied to  TᵢG @3.3.78    3 years ago

I can see people that don't want social distancing or any other measures implemented being the first ones to set up a leper colony...

CB
Professor Principal
3.3.80  CB  replied to  Jack_TX @3.3.67    3 years ago
Those do not include limiting the rights of American citizens.

If you could interview the unvaccinated dead what freedoms in this world they enjoy today, what do you think they could tell you? Rights as an ideology alone profits no one!

TᵢG
Professor Principal
3.3.81  TᵢG  replied to  Ender @3.3.79    3 years ago

Thing is, we are emerging from a brutal pandemic.   We do not want to start going backwards and certainly not to a repeat.    Sure, I am against gratuitous infringement on our personal freedom, but I certainly am in favor of responsible measures designed to help keep this virus (and variants) under control.

That is, I recognize that we necessarily do not have full individual freedom in civil society.   Sometimes we have to impose temporary restrictions on ourselves for our own good.

CB
Professor Principal
3.3.82  CB  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @3.3.70    3 years ago

Just this Saturday, on "Cross Connection with Tiffany Cross," a physician made a startling statement: "People with natural antibodies from being infected, STILL need at least one shot of a vaccine to give them the long term effects they provide."

So Laura Trump appears to be an uninformed member of the community (again).

Ender
Professor Principal
3.3.83  Ender  replied to  TᵢG @3.3.81    3 years ago

What is the saying...You're rights end where mine begin.

CB
Professor Principal
3.3.84  CB  replied to  Jack_TX @3.3.69    3 years ago
The current data says this is unfounded.

Uh, "current" is the operative word. And in science and medicine - a day can make all the difference in my and your worlds. Science exists in the 'moment' and makes no promises about tomorrow, in and of itself. When you understand and accept this rule of thought you will not feel betrayed (or swerved) when some new backward looking insight or discover comes up in the news.

You are wrong to make science say what it can not about the future of this still novel COVID virus.

However, by now, you should have enough life experience to know that commonsense, wisdom, and education tells us to do our best to get out in front and cut off as many pathways as we can for this virus' survival!

TᵢG
Professor Principal
3.3.85  TᵢG  replied to  CB @3.3.84    3 years ago

Correct.   The current data speaks of known variants such as lambda and especially delta.   Our vaccines appear to be sufficiently effective against these variants.   Thus there is no reason to panic about these variants.

What we do not want, however, are new variants that may not be so containable.   Thus we want to reduce the number of potential hosts who could serve as variant factories.

Bottom line, those without antibodies are doing a disservice to the balance of society.

CB
Professor Principal
3.3.86  CB  replied to  sandy-2021492 @3.3.74    3 years ago

Very interesting indeed, Sandy!

CB
Professor Principal
3.3.87  CB  replied to  TᵢG @3.3.81    3 years ago

It is understood as under the caption: 'Out of An Abundance of Caution.'

Or some such wording. (Need coffee - off I go!)  jrSmiley_101_smiley_image.gif

Gordy327
Professor Expert
3.3.88  Gordy327  replied to  CB @3.3.84    3 years ago
When you understand and accept this rule of thought you will not feel betrayed (or swerved) when some new backward looking insight or discover comes up in the news.

Unfortunately, many people do not understand that, or science in general. Thus, they react emotionally when science says something counter to expectations. This was never more obvious than last year when people said they "didn't trust the science" or the vaccine or some such things.

However, by now, you should have enough life experience to know that commonsense, wisdom, and education

One would think. But clearly that's not the case. 

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
3.3.89  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Ender @3.3.73    3 years ago

Probably so.

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
3.3.90  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  sandy-2021492 @3.3.74    3 years ago

When I was little, mothers often let their kids play with those who had chicken pox to get it and be done with it.  I never did get it as a child.  I did end up getting it in college courtesy of my roommate's 4 year old.  Instead of LT saying she is thrilled when she has a sick child, she should have said that it breaks her heart that her child is sick but thrilled that they are building antibodies.

CB
Professor Principal
3.3.91  CB  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @3.3.90    3 years ago

Correct! A "full-blown" case of any virus or sickness is not a good look, feel, experience, or time in life! Especially if one contracts (full-blown) long-hauler effects. Lara Trump's remark is. . . ."impossible."

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
3.3.92  Thrawn 31  replied to  Greg Jones @3.3    3 years ago

If this ONLY affected unvaccinated people then I would be with you. Unfortunately no vaccine is 100% effective so even if you h e been vaccinated there is still a chance, but the real risk is giving the virus fertile ground to keep mutating (aka evolving) into a more infectious, possibly more lethal, or a strain that the vaccines are ineffective against.

So these dick heads are screwing over everyone by being selfish pricks.

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
3.3.93  Jack_TX  replied to  Gordy327 @3.3.63    3 years ago
They are not necessarily safe from virus variants, which may arise from unvaccinated people. A vaccines is only effective against a specific virus and not different strains of the virus.

The vaccines have proven effective against every variant so far.

No one is being forcibly injected with anything. But viral mutations happen all the time. 

Then clarify your use of the phrase "by government mandate".

Dying from Covid or potentially being the cause of other people contracting and possibly dying from covid does seem to qualify as "something bad."

Obviously.  But we don't limit rights or vaccinate "by government mandate" because something that has never happened might occur at some unspecified point in the future.

I've always said people are generally stupid and irrational. Never underestimate the stupidity of the American people.

We agree completely on this point.

Ah yes, religious exemption. The ultimate "get out of jail free" card, allowing one to do almost whatever they want.

It does seem that way sometimes.  Alas.

Not when it puts other people at risk.

We allow people to pose a risk to each other all the time.  It's an unavoidable part of living.  We limit behavior when adverse events happen often enough to exceed the threshold for acceptable risk. Numerically speaking, a vaccine mandate is about as justified as outlawing the production of chicken because of the possibility of salmonella poisoning.

Influenza is not as virulent or contagious as Covid. Although, many businesses, especially those in the healthcare industry, do mandate influenza vaccines.

For fully Covid vaccinated people, influenza is a FAR more serious threat.

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
3.3.94  Jack_TX  replied to  igknorantzrulz @3.3.71    3 years ago
so you're taking the Trump approach,

Do at least attempt to contribute something intelligent.

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
3.3.95  Jack_TX  replied to  TᵢG @3.3.78    3 years ago

Look...we're in this loop where you rephrase and misrepresent my statements.  I don't know if you do that intentionally, or if it's just a habit, but I'm asking you respectfully to stop the practice. 

You keep talking about this data that shows our vaccines will be effective against new variants

No. That's not at all what I said.

I said the data shows our vaccines are effective against current variants.  I am making the point, once again, that we do not limit the rights of American citizens because a series of events that have yet to ever happen may possibly occur in the future.

And where do you find data suggesting that we should have no concern with the great number of potential hosts for these new variants in the USA?

That's not what I said.

I said the data shows no justification to limit the rights of American citizens.  When we're talking about the desire to take deleterious actions against fellow citizens based on something that might happen but we all know hasn't, we've moved beyond "concern".  

Look, Jack, I am not arguing that the world is coming to end even though you keep trying to portray my position as an extreme.

I said nothing of the sort.

My position is that as long as a large portion of the population remains vulnerable to infection (the unvaccinated) they serve as a liability to themselves and potentially the vaccinated via new variants.

Current data says you are half right.  They absolutely are vulnerable to infection and they are absolutely a liability to each other.  They are absolutely not a liability to vaccinated people, based on current evidence.  If that evidence changes, my position will almost surely change with it.  

Further, my position is that society most definitely has the right to impose restrictions if it sees a credible threat to the safety of the population.

Yes. 

Note the difference between "credible" and "possible". Our disagreement is around whether or not the threat you describe is "credible". It is undoubtedly possible.  Currently, the data says it is a long way from being credible.  In this country, we do not pre-emptively curtail the rights of our citizens, any more than we lock people up for crimes they might commit at some point in the future.

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
3.3.96  Jack_TX  replied to  CB @3.3.80    3 years ago
If you could interview the unvaccinated dead what freedoms in this world they enjoy today, what do you think they could tell you? Rights as an ideology alone profits no one!

What an odd question.

People who are unvaccinated are making a deliberate choice to live dangerously.  However current data says overwhelmingly that if you are vaccinated they present no danger to you. 

I don't want to see anyone die, but they won't listen....but I'm not their mother.

It's a stupid decision.  But in this country, we don't outlaw stupid decisions.   

JBB
Professor Principal
3.3.97  JBB  replied to  Jack_TX @3.3.96    3 years ago

No Danger? I do not believe that is true as vaccinated people apparently CAN contract and spread the variants even if they are highly unlikely to suffer the worst symptoms. As children are not vaccinated yet and are more vulnerable to the Covid variants, that means vaccinated people can spread infection to children. I call posing death to kids a danger.

I think you could be charged with reckless endangerment for willy nilly spreading Covid-19 to others just because you personally are vaccinated. It could even be considered negligent homicide if people die.

CB
Professor Principal
3.3.98  CB  replied to  JBB @3.3.97    3 years ago
that means vaccinated people can spread infection to children. I call posing death to kids a danger.

De facto: Carriers.

Vaccination, mean solely for good transforms innocent, good people into carriers for the unvaccinated. Moreover, I don't want what some 'yahoo' is standing nearby with simply because science has not caught up with what humans are capable of 'serving up'!

We should all have a discussion about vaccination as a tool, not as a 'glory.' That is, if you find something wrong with the science of Covid vaccination end the program, but until such findings, liberty needs to defer to its equal: wisdom.

CB
Professor Principal
3.3.99  CB  replied to  Jack_TX @3.3.96    3 years ago

People who are unvaccinated put me, a fully vaccinated person at risk of COVID 19. I am told I can have the virus asymptomatically, a 'mild case,' or in rare cases die from it. Plus, there are masses of people who for various reasons can not benefit from the vaccine who are caught in the thick of it - subject to exposure from folks qualified to vaccinate who just won't.  Now then, I am not arguing for removal of anybody's liberty or decision-making process. There are quality of life issues, reproductive issues, mental stability issues, "whole body systems issues," and suffocating death, nevertheless!

Liberty is of no earthly value in the graveyard.

Our citizenry deserves the best chance to live!

And no one is asking you to "parent" - in this discussion we're asking you to accept that liberty has a lane and survival (as a community) outranks it!

TᵢG
Professor Principal
3.3.100  TᵢG  replied to  Jack_TX @3.3.95    3 years ago
Look...we're in this loop ...

Can the meta Jack.   I never intentionally misrepresent anyone and I always try to get an accurate understanding of what other's write.  If we are miscommunicating then let's fix it rather than engage in accusations.

I said the data shows our vaccines are effective against current variants. 

And where have I disagreed with you on that specific point?   Where have I even hinted otherwise?    Given there is no disagreement on known variants, when you make ambiguous references to data I naturally and reasonably interpret that as you claiming that the data shows that I am wrong to express a liability with unvaccinated people serving as hosts for new, potentially troublesome, variants.  I have been talking about the fact that unvaccinated people are potential hosts for new (i.e. unknown variants).   The concern of course is that our vaccines might not be effective on these new variants (i.e. variants that we do not yet know of).   Thus, my point, it is important that we not continue with a large portion of our population unvaccinated.

So let's cut to the chase:

TiG @3.3.78 ☞ My position is that as long as a large portion of the population remains vulnerable to infection (the unvaccinated) they serve as a liability to themselves and potentially the vaccinated via new variants.  My position is that as long as a large portion of the population remains vulnerable to infection (the unvaccinated) they serve as a liability to themselves and potentially the vaccinated via new variants.
Jack @3.3.95Current data says you are half right.  They absolutely are vulnerable to infection and they are absolutely a liability to each other.  They are absolutely not a liability to vaccinated people, based on current evidence.  If that evidence changes, my position will almost surely change with it.  

You (again) ambiguously reference 'current data' (no qualification, no link) and claim that my statement is half right.   You go on to explain that new variants (and, again, I am talking about variants that are actually new ... thus currently unknown) are not a liability to vaccinated people based on current evidence.  

How on Earth do you know this?   There is no current evidence on new variants.   We have data on COVID-19 and existing (as opposed to new) variants alpha, beta, gamma, delta, epsilon, zeta, eta, theta, iota, kappa and lambda.   We cannot possibly have any data on new variants.   What we do have is the knowledge, based on biology, that variants can and do emerge from hosts with quite varied properties and we know that the fewer the hosts the less likely a troublesome (i.e. bypass the vaccines) variant will emerge.

I am not half-right here, I am fully right.    If you disagree then show me the data that says new variants (i.e. currently unknown variants that will almost assuredly emerge from hosts) will not be troublesome to society.

Remember:   My position is that as long as a large portion of the population remains vulnerable to infection (the unvaccinated) they serve as a liability to themselves and potentially the vaccinated via new variants.

And, finally, tacking on my position on controls:  society most definitely has the right to impose restrictions if it sees a credible threat to the safety of the population.   On this you agree but claim that (per data, unqualified and with no supporting link) we are a long way from having a credible threat.  

Well I doubt anyone knows how far away we are.   We could have a new variant (mu) emerge tomorrow to which the vaccines are ineffective.   How could you possibly have data that shows how far such a mu is from us??    We do, however, have data that shows COVID-19 variants absolutely do emerge with new properties and we know how many potential hosts are out there so I can say, based on this data, that such a large body of potential mu threats is something we should not ignore.

What should society do about this?    Seems obvious that we should continue to push to get everyone vaccinated (unless they already have antibodies).   In the meantime, as I noted yesterday, we should take actions based on the hot spots.   Areas where we see outbreaks of a known variant seem to be pretty good candidates for restrictions:  masks, social distancing, etc.   And, ultimately, if the situation warrants, society has the right and the obligation to impose temporary restrictions on itself for its own safety.   That means we temporarily lose some freedoms.   Do you agree or do you hold that under no circumstances should society limit individual freedom?   I refer you back to the example of society temporarily removing the freedom of individuals to drive if they are under the influence.

Dulay
Professor Expert
3.3.101  Dulay  replied to  Ender @3.3.83    3 years ago

Your right to swing your fist ends at my nose. 

Gordy327
Professor Expert
3.3.102  Gordy327  replied to  Jack_TX @3.3.93    3 years ago
The vaccines have proven effective against every variant so far.

They're not quite as effective against the variants. Although, they still provide some protection. According to the New England Journal of Medicine, current Covid vaccines are about 95% effective against the main Covid virus, but only about 75% effective against the Delta variant. That still puts 1/4 of the vaccinated (approximately 40 million fully vaccinated individuals) at risk. There are still other variants and I think the newest variant to emerge is the Kappa variant. The variants tend to spread more easily too, which will only make things worse. It is also plausible that newer variants that emerge will cause the vaccines to be less effective than the current vaccine.

Then clarify your use of the phrase "by government mandate".

Vaccines should be required, much like children are required to have vaccines before entering school, or healthcare workers being required to have the influenza vaccine during flu season. But that is not happening and is probably not likely to either.

But we don't limit rights or vaccinate "by government mandate" because something that has never happened might occur at some unspecified point in the future.

It's about public health and safety. People have already been hospitalized and died from it. That has happened. Never mind the potential long term effects of having Covid too, which we're currently discovering. 

It does seem that way sometimes.  Alas.

More like all the time.

We allow people to pose a risk to each other all the time.  It's an unavoidable part of living. 

That doesn't mean we shouldn't take steps to reduce the risk.

We limit behavior when adverse events happen often enough to exceed the threshold for acceptable risk.

I'd say 600,000+ deaths in the US alone in a little over a year is sufficient justification. Especially since deaths will only continue to rise, especially among the unvaccinated,  as this drags out. If people were smart enough to get the vaccine, rather than refuse or argue against it, we might put an end to the pandemic. Alas, people are stupid and need to be told what to do, like children.

Numerically speaking, a vaccine mandate is about as justified as outlawing the production of chicken because of the possibility of salmonella poisoning.

See previous statement. That's also a poor analogy.

For fully Covid vaccinated people, influenza is a FAR more serious threat.

But we're talking about the unvaccinated. The variants will also increase the risk too.

that we do not limit the rights of American citizens because a series of events that have yet to ever happen may possibly occur in the future.

What series of events are you imagining?

They are absolutely not a liability to vaccinated people, based on current evidence. 

Not entirely true. Until Covid is squashed, even the vaccinated are at some risk, especially from newer variants. Data shows the current vaccine is effective against variants, but at a reduced efficacy. It's likely efficacy will continue to drop as new variants emerge. The more people that get vaccinated, the less likely variants will have the chance to emerge.

Note the difference between "credible" and "possible". 

Covid has already proven to be a "credible" threat to the population. The numbers demonstrate that. Another factor to consider is that, just like during the middle of the pandemic last year, Covid "flare-ups" will tax the healthcare system and significantly strain healthcare personnel, space, and resources.

People who are unvaccinated are making a deliberate choice to live dangerously.

They are also putting others around them in danger.

But in this country, we don't outlaw stupid decisions.   

Maybe we should? jrSmiley_26_smiley_image.gif

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
3.3.103  Jack_TX  replied to  TᵢG @3.3.100    3 years ago
Can the meta Jack.   I never intentionally misrepresent anyone and I always try to get an accurate understanding of what other's write.  If we are miscommunicating then let's fix it rather than engage in accusations.

Glad we cleared that up. *thumbsup*

You (again) ambiguously reference ' current data' (no qualification, no link) and claim that my statement is half right.

As of July 19, there have been 849 of 161,000,000 vaccinated people have died from Covid.  You are significantly more likely to die from a dog bite.

How on Earth do you know this?    There is no current evidence on  new  variants.

Yes.   Exactly.  

Do you not see a problem limiting the rights of American citizens based on no evidence?   

I do.

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
3.3.104  Jack_TX  replied to  Gordy327 @3.3.102    3 years ago
Vaccines should be required, much like children are required to have vaccines before entering school, or healthcare workers being required to have the influenza vaccine during flu season. But that is not happening and is probably not likely to either.

Most hospitals already require employees to be vaccinated, a practice which has already been upheld in court.  I agree it will likely be a different matter with schools, in no small part because we still don't have significant numbers of kids dying of Covid or any variants.

That doesn't mean we shouldn't take steps to reduce the risk.

The question is "what steps"?  If we're talking about things like prohibiting air travel or barring people from certain public events, I believe that's unacceptable.  I also believe it would not survive a constitutional challenge.

Covid has already proven to be a "credible" threat to the population. 

We're not talking about Covid.  We're talking about restricting unvaccinated people who do not have Covid based on the idea they might be harboring an as yet undiscovered variant that might infect vaccinated people and might render vaccination ineffective.

They are also putting others around them in danger.

There is zero current evidence to support this assertion.  The best you can say accurately is that they might put others around them in danger at some unspecified future point if several as yet unseen things happen in sequence.  

Seriously, Donald Trumps accusation that undocumented immigrants are violent criminals is more statistically accurate....and it is wildly inaccurate.

Maybe we should?  jrSmiley_26_smiley_image.gif

You and I would probably agree on a veritable host of stupid behaviors we would see outlawed. 

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
3.3.105  Jack_TX  replied to  JBB @3.3.97    3 years ago
I do not believe that is true as vaccinated people apparently CAN contract and spread the variants even if they are highly unlikely to suffer the worst symptoms. As children are not vaccinated yet and are more vulnerable to the Covid variants, that means vaccinated people can spread infection to children. I call posing death to kids a danger.

Well...show us the statistics on this.  What percent of kids have contracted a variant and how many have died?

I think you could be charged with reckless endangerment for willy nilly spreading Covid-19 to others just because you personally are vaccinated. It could even be considered negligent homicide if people die.

I'm not sure I understand what "willy nilly spreading" involves.  What does that look like, exactly?

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
3.3.106  Jack_TX  replied to  CB @3.3.99    3 years ago
Now then, I am not arguing for removal of anybody's liberty or decision-making process.

Then we agree on the major point, and everything else is just splitting hairs for no reason.

CB
Professor Principal
3.3.107  CB  replied to  Jack_TX @3.3.106    3 years ago

Do not waste time here, Jack_TX! You pulled my statement out of context, and that leaves a pretext.  Sickness, hospitalizations, and death issues are not "child's play." Get serious or at least admit you're doing this for the "theatrics" alright?!

Because push come to shove, it is 'do-able' that mandates can be issued (though not desirable) that push the stubbornly unvaccinated out into the 'wilderness' edge of society, but it really should not take that if we. really. do. exist. as. civilized. beings. doing. the. best. for. each other. to. hold. community. together.

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
3.3.108  Jack_TX  replied to  CB @3.3.107    3 years ago

OK... so now I'm confused.

You said you were not in favor of removing anybody's liberty or decision making process.  In which case we agree. 

I presume you favor things to encourage vaccination, like information campaigns, enticements, celebrity endorsements, etc.  On which we would also agree.

Now you're talking about mandates, which of course remove liberty and the decision making power, are contrary to your earlier statement, and upon which we would not agree.

So which is it?  And if you support a "mandate", what would the consequences be for non-compliance?

CB
Professor Principal
3.3.109  CB  replied to  Jack_TX @3.3.108    3 years ago

New York City and California will require workers to be vaccinated or face testing.*

These are two states that have already radically altered their stances on unvaccinated workers continuing to service the community. What 'drove' them to re-act?

Jack_TX, try not to be confused. As with anything to do with the larger themes in life. For the record, here is partially what I wrote relevant to how you attempt to state my position:

Now then, I am not arguing for removal of anybody's liberty or decision-making process. There are quality of life issues, reproductive issues, mental stability issues, "whole body systems issues," and suffocating death, nevertheless !

Jack_TX it is not hard to understand that there is more than any one single person's liberty that concerns me (including my own).

To be clear, I want what is best for the community and that seems to be vaccination at this point (by the way, there are various articles coming out today alone from "stubborn" unvaccinated influencers who are in the hospital or have died (today)).

I am sadden for these individuals and their families.

In their case, the vaccination could only help; some are sick and others dead as the alternative.

I do not support a mandate and for that matter neither does the two states above: however, governors have a responsibility to regard and wholly "service" the organism of the state - not just any component group of members at crucial times. There are times when it is necessary to protect the citizenry from its own faulty judgements based on poor or "anemic" data.

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
3.3.110  Jack_TX  replied to  CB @3.3.109    3 years ago
I do not support a mandate

So once again, we agree.

CB
Professor Principal
3.3.111  CB  replied to  Jack_TX @3.3.110    3 years ago

Play the part then, Jack_TX. It's demonstrative for readers as to why we are in the current "mess" our country is existing. This attitude you present is indicative of why the GOP Governor of Alabama is "exasperated" with unvaccinated citizens in her state-who can not be properly reasoned with despite 97 percent of the total unvaccinated being hospitalized and dying due to COVID-19 variants.

We as a country count and suffer the 'costs' in blood, sweat, and tears.

Moving on.

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
3.3.112  Jack_TX  replied to  CB @3.3.111    3 years ago

We agree people should get vaccinated.  We agree government agencies should work creatively and diligently, using all means at their disposal short of a mandate to encourage vaccinations.  We agree employers should have the right to require employees to be vaccinated, at the very least when they work in environments where contagion would be of greater than normal concern. 

So where, exactly, are we not aligned?

Why do I feel like you're determined not to take "yes" for an answer?

Ender
Professor Principal
3.3.113  Ender  replied to  Jack_TX @3.3.112    3 years ago

I feel like it cuts both ways. A government agency cannot tell a company they cannot mandate the vac themselves.

CB
Professor Principal
3.3.114  CB  replied to  Jack_TX @3.3.112    3 years ago
We agree government agencies should work creatively and diligently, using all means at their disposal short of a mandate to encourage vaccinations. So where, exactly, are we not aligned?

I am a realist. While I do not want to go the mandate route for states, I am pragmatic enough to understand this: Individuals and groups can have their privacy and secrecy (no fear of being 'outed') in the case of un/vaccinated status. We have 'elected' to hold to a system of governance which respects the individual over and beyond society with one significant exception: When a threat is one that is communicable to the welfare of humanity.

At what point do you allow a governor shall re/act in suspension of liberty for the "greater good" (of humanity)?

TᵢG
Professor Principal
3.3.115  TᵢG  replied to  Jack_TX @3.3.103    3 years ago
Do you not see a problem limiting the rights of American citizens based on no evidence?   

I have stated that we should react rationally to what we know and that includes limiting rights.   My closing paragraph described what I believe we should do based on current info. Essentially we should continue to encourage the unvaccinated to get vaccinated to mitigate the threat they pose as hosts for new variants.   Also, we should impose restrictions such as masks and social distancing on hot spots to help contain the outbreaks.   The objective is ultimately to reduce the number of infections.   The fewer infections, the fewer hosts for new variants.

Ender
Professor Principal
4  Ender    3 years ago

I don't know, you tell me...

I've done all I can...

How do these idiots keep getting elected.

Tacos!
Professor Guide
5  Tacos!    3 years ago
Although she didn’t name names, Fox News hosts, such as   Tucker Carlson,   have attempted to cast doubt on the effectiveness of the coronavirus vaccines.

I don’t watch TV news much, but I’ve seen enough of Tucker over the last year (while working out) to know that he has done a lot of damage. Both before and after these vaccines were approved, he was saying things like the government just wants people to line up for a shot and no questions will be allowed. Just do as you’re told.

I get that Tucker doesn’t trust government or bureaucrats, and that’s fine, but the notion that there has been no review of vaccines, no transparency, no questions allowed, or that there is some nefarious ulterior motive to vaccines is complete and utter bullshit.

CB
Professor Principal
6  CB    3 years ago

Here's Candance!

7LyTBbgC_normal.jpg
Candace Owens
@RealCandaceO
Vaccinated people are still catching Covid! So the @NFL policy makes entirely no scientific sense. Big Pharma and the government are squeezing corporations to do their evil bidding.
Forcing HEALTHY men to inject experimental substances into their arms is a moral abomination.
Quote Tweet
The subtle implication Candance Owens is UNVACCINATED!!!
Can that be true? Candace is unvaccinated? My-my.

Tacos!
Professor Guide
6.1  Tacos!  replied to  CB @6    3 years ago
Forcing HEALTHY men to inject experimental substances into their arms is a moral abomination.

I mean what “experiment” is she thinking about? The experiments - both scientific and merely practical - have been done by millions of volunteers at this point. In the United States alone, 340 million vaccine doses have been administered. How big of a sample size does she require before this no longer strikes her as some crazy fringe experiment?

CB
Professor Principal
6.1.1  CB  replied to  Tacos! @6.1    3 years ago

We are "experiment" subjects she is railing against.  She has not gotten a "RECENT UPDATE" on where her stance should migrate. My-my-my. Candace with the Good Hair is fallen short!

Dulay
Professor Expert
6.1.2  Dulay  replied to  Tacos! @6.1    3 years ago

The irony is that the right is all in on it's support of Israel yet seem to ignore the FACT that Netanyahu volunteered the entire country of Israel to be a part of the 'experiment'. 

igknorantzrulz
PhD Quiet
7  igknorantzrulz    3 years ago

Anti vaccination usa, is why we still have a spreading pandemic. If all had gotten vaccinated asap we would NOT be in nearly the high risk mutated version spread, that we are still in. People believing Social Media over Medical Experts is the Pandemic, and it has spread FAR TO FAR. The majority of this BULLSHIP falls back to 45 and the Republican hustle and Jive. The GOP, stupid believers and followers of a stupid , SOB, cause so many should be still alive...and sad so many STILL can't see. 

Kavika
Professor Principal
8  Kavika     3 years ago

While the debate continues the US had 67,000 plus new cases yesterday with 418 deaths. The state of FL had 13,000 plus new cases and 148 deaths. Not to worry if you live in Florida our governor said that it's seasonal. 

Florida's vaccinated rate is 48.06%

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
9  Thrawn 31    3 years ago

She is right, at this point you can 100% blame the unvaccinated, GOP reps, and conservative media. They are keeping the pandemic going by either being stupid, looking to score political points with their stupid base, or looking to keep the advertiser $s flowing.

Freewill
Junior Quiet
10  Freewill    3 years ago

I think we can all agree based on discussion above that the unvaccinated are the problem with respect to the increase in infections and deaths as of late.  That is clear from the numbers. 

So who are they is the question and what can we do about it in each case and in general?  Here is a chart according to a recent KFF study by state and by race/ethnicity:

Together, these data show that, despite recent trends suggesting improving equity in COVID-19 vaccination patterns and a recent narrowing in the gap between vaccination rates for White and Hispanic people, disparities are persisting. Less than half of Black and Hispanic people have received at least one COVID-19 vaccine dose in nearly all states reporting data, including a number of states where less than a third have received a vaccine. These lower vaccination rates among Black and Hispanic people leave them at increased risk for coronavirus, particularly as the Delta variant spreads, potentially leading to widening disparities going forward and limiting the nation’s recovery.

While many here wish to focus the blame on what they see as the right-wing anti-vax crowd, and no doubt some focus and efforts at mitigation should land there, there is also vaccination hesitancy among many Black and Hispanic Communities that must be addressed. 

The overall pooled prevalence rate of COVID-19 vaccination hesitancy for adult Americans across all studies was 26.3% (95%Ci ​= ​17.3-36.4). In contrast, the overall pooled prevalence rate of COVID-19 vaccination hesitancy for African-Americans was 41.6% (95%Ci ​= ​34.4-48.9) and for Hispanics, it was 30.2% (95%Ci ​= ​23.2-37.7). 

Hesitancy in general must be addressed with education and compassion, not with the ridicule and scorn that seems popular among those who wish to make this a political issue, rather than a medical issue that we must ALL work together to address.

CB
Professor Principal
10.1  CB  replied to  Freewill @10    3 years ago
Hesitancy in general must be addressed with education and compassion, not with the ridicule and scorn that seems popular among those who wish to make this a political issue, rather than a medical issue that we must ALL work together to address.

I am not clear how you 'articulate' a conservative-liberal (red-state/blue-state) discussion into a racial 'fault' discussion.  I could be missing something from the comments; though at this time I can not revisit them all to refresh! Perhaps you can straighten me out on your thinking?

Freewill
Junior Quiet
10.1.1  Freewill  replied to  CB @10.1    3 years ago
I am not clear how you 'articulate' a conservative-liberal (red-state/blue-state) discussion into a racial 'fault' discussion. 

I'm most certainly not "articulating a conservative-liberal (red-state/blue-state) discussion into a racial 'fault' discussion", I'm simply pointing out that it goes much deeper than that either way.  There are a myriad of reasons why people are hesitant to get vaccinated in any case, and we must all work together to help mitigate those reasons rather than simply casting blame.

Did you read the links I provided?  I feel like if you had there would be no reason for you to assume that I am assigning any sort of "racial fault" in this discussion.

CB
Professor Principal
10.1.2  CB  replied to  Freewill @10.1.1    3 years ago

I agree with your overall sentiment about cooperation by all in doing better. You wrote the above as well, nevertheless. There are laggards and non-participants all over the place with a heavier concentration in red-state conservative 'zip codes.'  I don't like pointing it out, I wish it was not so, but it is so. While there may be swaths of Liberals that are not getting vaccinated  (I don't know that for sure), in my opinion, I see no concerted effort in liberal politics encouraging people to consult and regard conspiracy theories, faux science, or superstition to not resolve our current health crisis sweeping across this nation.

(And no, I am not looking or "itching" for a fight over this.)

CB
Professor Principal
10.1.3  CB  replied to  CB @10.1.2    3 years ago

One more thing: While there are various reasons for citizens to lag this far behind in vaccinations respectfully, let us not 'kid' this discussion about "GOP governor says it time to blame the unvaccinated for pandemic surge" as not being about red-state conservatives and influencers telling their constituents and anybody who would listen to them not to consider getting vaccinated. Because it did so happen and we have numerous news articles, shows, and statements regarding this activity.

Freewill
Junior Quiet
10.1.4  Freewill  replied to  CB @10.1.3    3 years ago
as not being about  red-state conservatives and influencers telling their constituents and anybody who would listen to them not to consider getting vaccinated .

Like who?  Kay Ivey just said the opposite.  Trump said the opposite many times as far back as January, February and March.  No governor or elected official in any state I've seen is telling their constituents not to consider getting vaccinated.

Trump did very clearly urge all Americans in February and March to get the Covid-19 vaccine.

“I would recommend it, and I would recommend it to a lot of people that don’t want to get it, and a lot of those people voted for me, frankly,” he said during a    Fox News interview    Tuesday night.
“We have our freedoms and we have to live by that, and I agree with that also,” he said. “But it is a great    vaccine   . It is a safe    vaccine   , and it is something that works.”

Candace Owens (whom you mentioned above) is from Connecticut, not exactly a "red state".  So who are we talking about exactly that is telling their constituents not to get vaccinated?  Yes let's counter them with science and education if they are in fact discouraging people or causing hesitancy.  

Aren't you just as concerned that in almost EVERY state the percentage of African-American and Hispanic people being vaccinated is considerably lower than white and Asian people?  Who is influencing them to continue being hesitant about the vaccination?  Why don't we get to the bottom of that as well, and provide the education needed to close that gap and lower the risk to those folks?  This has nothing to do with "red or blue state" at the core, it has to do with digging deeper, identifying the source of vaccination hesitancy and then doing what we can to help mitigate it. 

CB
Professor Principal
10.1.5  CB  replied to  Freewill @10.1.4    3 years ago

Florida governor to forbid COVID-19 ‘vaccine passports’

You know darn well I mean obstructionist strategies and tactics to interfere with the smooth 'roll-out' of vaccine protocols. . . .

Texas bans government-mandated 'vaccine passports' | KVUE

But that is okay. . .I will keep pushing out articles and videos over the next 'occasions' and days accordingly on this subject.

CB
Professor Principal
10.1.6  CB  replied to  Freewill @10.1.4    3 years ago
We’re begging you, Gov. DeSantis, stop messing in Texas and save Florida from COVID | Editorial

Florida was all over the news this past weekend with one of the nation’s biggest spikes in COVID cases and hospitalizations.

And where was Gov. Ron DeSantis as this health crisis resurged? Visiting hospitals? Consulting with physicians and public health experts? Huddling with his staff to brainstorm ways of persuading more Floridians to take the vaccine that would nip this pandemic in the bud?

Nope. Florida’s governor was in Texas, 1,000 miles from Tallahassee, burnishing his 2024 presidential ambitions with a visit to the southern border.

The governor was back in Florida on Sunday but, once again, not to focus on the COVID health crisis but this time to make fun of Anthony Fauci in a speech before a crowd of young conservatives in Tampa.

“Fauci gets invited to throw out the first pitch at the baseball game last year but he doesn’t know how to throw a baseball,” the 42-year-old governor said of the 80-year-old public health official’s bungled attempt.

“He did the worst first pitch that I’ve ever seen anybody do,” DeSantis crowed.

Always classy, our governor, who then encouraged the Turning Point USA crowd to go buy campaign merch emblazoned with Fauci mockery.

Predictably, DeSantis said nothing in his speech about how Florida has become the poster child (except perhaps for Arkansas) for the surging number of COVID cases attributed to the wildly contagious Delta variant.

Overall new COVID cases are up nearly 200% in Florida over the past two weeks, and Florida is third in the nation in per capita increases, accounting for nearly 20% of the entire nation’s new COVID infections. The rate of positive COVID tests is now well north of 10%. Recent data show Florida with the fourth-highest rate of COVID hospitalizations and the nation’s highest average for daily deaths over the past week.

Deaths have always been a lagging indicator in this pandemic, so the current wave of cases and hospitalizations could portend another summer of grief for Florida.

Meanwhile, Florida remains mired in vaccination mediocrity , compared with the rest of the nation. We’re a middle-of -the-pack state with barely 57% of the adult population fully vaccinated, below the national average. The AARP just reported that Florida has the second lowest rate of vaccinated nursing home workers in the nation, and a lower than average population of nursing home residents vaccinated.

And the governor is making fun of how Anthony Fauci throws a baseball?

To save lives, he must start acting like Florida’s governor and less like he’s auditioning for Turning Point USA or Texas Gov. Greg Abbott or whatever Fox News host comes calling.

The governor needs to launch another vaccination tour, like the one he did earlier this year that helped get a big chunk of Florida’s senior population protected.

DeSantis and his surrogates are constantly reminding us of his success with senior vaccinations. Why not come to the aid of other Floridians now?

DeSantis said Monday that he questions the tactics of the “quote-unquote ‘experts’ who lambaste people and criticize them or say they’re stupid or something.” DeSantis said. “That’s not the way to reach folks.”

Terrific. Then speak to people in terms that you think will work. Address their concerns head-on with facts and science. Ask them to ignore the social media agents of bad faith and lies. Stand alongside his surgeon general, doctors, nurses, researchers and other public health officials who will vouch for the vaccine.

Use vaccinated seniors as a backdrop. Bring clergy members into to the effort. Buy lots of time on TV and cut ads for social media. Maybe designate your wife, Casey, as the face of the campaign, someone who could appeal to young parents.

We know that hospitalizations of vaccinated people are rare and deaths even rarer. The Orange County Department of Health said that for the past three days 100% of positive COVID cases have been among un vaccinated people. One. Hundred. Percent.

NOTE:  There is great 5 minute video on the "homepage" Orlando Sentinel NOW (link directly above), but I could not "pull it" to post in my comment. Go there for direct and frank discussion of the DeSantis "vaccine" issue.

CB
Professor Principal
10.1.7  CB  replied to  Freewill @10.1.4    3 years ago
Candace Owens. . . .

Really. You're going to attempt disowning @6 Candace Owens, conservative Influencer, now in this discussion?

Freewill
Junior Quiet
10.1.8  Freewill  replied to  CB @10.1.2    3 years ago
(And no, I am not looking or "itching" for a fight over this.)

Really? Sure looks that way to me.

You said:

let us not 'kid' this discussion about "GOP governor says it time to blame the unvaccinated for pandemic surge" as not being about red-state conservatives and influencers telling their constituents and anybody who would listen to them not to consider getting vaccinated .  

You still have not shown where those "red-state conservatives" are telling their constituents not to consider vaccination.  Which of course is the only comment of yours I took exception to, before you then changed the subject.

You know darn well I mean obstructionist strategies and tactics to interfere with the smooth 'roll-out' of vaccine protocols. . .   

No I did not darn well know that because that is not what you said. You said the " red-state conservatives and influencers telling their constituents and anybody who would listen to them not to consider getting vaccinated."    That is simply not true.  The only "protocol" those things you later posted obstruct are mandates for vaccinations, NOT the rollout of the vaccines or the message to their constituents that they should in fact get the vaccine.  Anyone who wants a vaccine can still get one and in fact those very Governors have recommended it and taken it as an example to their constituents, just as any "blue-state liberal" Governor has.

Florida governor urges people to get vaccinated as cases rise .

Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis is stressing the importance of getting the Covid-19 vaccine as cases in the state continue to rise. 

During a news conference on Monday, DeSantis said the case spike in July was expected as the virus is following a seasonal pattern. 

"If you are vaccinated though, the number of people that end up hospitalized is almost zero, it's incredibly, incredibly low, so I think there's some misinformation out there where someone will say 'oh these people were vaccinated, then they tested positive,'" DeSantis said. 

The governor said the ultimate goal is to keep people out of the hospital.

"We have three vaccines available to anyone, any adult can get it at pharmacies, health departments, you name it," he said. 

DeSantis said although he doesn't support vaccine mandates, it is very important to have the right messaging for people who may be skeptical of receiving the vaccine. 

Gov. Greg Abbott receives COVID-19 vaccine, saying he wants to serve as an example to Texans

Abbott defended his decision to receive the vaccine Tuesday, saying he spoke the previous day with Alex Azar, the U.S. health and human services secretary, and Dr. Robert Redfield, the director of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

"They said it's important for governors to step up and be examples in their community," Abbott said.

Abbott said he especially wanted to promote the vaccine in light of polls that show Texans are “apprehensive” about it. An October poll from the University of Texas and Texas Tribune found that only 42% of the state’s voters would try to get the vaccine if it became available at a low cost.

Abbott was accompanied by Dr. John Hellerstedt, commissioner of the Texas Department of State Health Services, who was also vaccinated.

Health groups lauded Abbott's decision to be publicly vaccinated, saying his leadership is needed to instill confidence in the vaccine.

“People need to see we can make Texas strong against the coronavirus if we all take these preventive measures to protect ourselves and others. The governor is leading by example by getting the shot,” the Texas Medical Association said in a statement on Monday.

So you can argue with me on this all you want, but do us both a favor and quit moving the goal posts.  You and I will likely agree on the rest of it, including influencers like Owens (I will address that below), but the problem is not one of red states discouraging the vaccine any more than blue states, it boils down to addressing the hesitancy that people have in all the states about getting what is now a readily available and effective vaccine for everyone.  

Freewill
Junior Quiet
10.1.9  Freewill  replied to  CB @10.1.7    3 years ago
Really. You're going to attempt disowning @6 Candace Owens, conservative Influencer, now in this discussion?

No I will not.  I tend to agree with you that her message is sometimes misguided, especially when she specifically talks about her family not getting vaccinated and uses her influence in the national community to discourage vaccination.  You brought her up in a post above where she objected to a mandate, which is the only reason I did.  You mentioned "red-state conservatives" and "influencers" in the same sentence and indicated that they are telling their "constituents" not to get vaccinated.  I was trying to separate her situation from that of the "red-state conservatives" in my comment at 10.1.4 and I most certainly said,  "Yes let's counter them with science and education if they are in fact discouraging people or causing hesitancy".  

She, for example, could set a better example for the African American communities in ALL states where percent of those vaccinated lags behind other races/ethnicities, and I agree that messages like hers should be countered as those are the types of messages that discourage people or cause hesitation when it comes to getting the vaccine.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
11  Buzz of the Orient    3 years ago

I think it's time to split the Republican Party into two - one with members who are intelligent and principled, and the other brainless 'Trump*suckers' who are in the game only for the money.