╌>

Do you believe in "both sides - ism" ?

Category:  Op/Ed

By:  john-russell  •  3 years ago  •  198 comments

Do you believe in "both sides - ism"  ?
This is a bleak future for the country, at best.  If Trump was to be returned to office we would be led by someone who is demonstrably either mentally ill , or thoroughly evil.  Those are in reality the only two possibilities. 

I saw an article this morning that there are only two Republican office holders on a national level that have the guts to stand up to Trump,   -   Liz Cheney and Adam Kinzinger. 

That sounds about right.

So, we have a party that is for all practical purposes in thrall to a megalomaniac who tried to steal the last election and lies about it virtually on a daily basis. 

This is a bleak future for the country, at best.  If Trump was to be returned to office we would be led by someone who is demonstrably either mentally ill , or thoroughly evil.  Those are in reality the only two possibilities. 

And yet, we continue to see people approach national politics as if "both sides" suffer from roughly equal levels of problematic behavior. 

There appear to be actual , relatively intelligent people who say that they would rather have Trump because Joe Biden occasionally repeats words and stumbles verbally. 

Joe Biden was seen riding a bicycle last week. How many people here would bet ten bucks that Donald Trump could ride a bicycle for a 100 yards, let alone a mile or two? 

-

We often see people approach politics from the "pox on both your houses" point of view.  "I dont like any of them", they say. 

The Republicans , under Trump's leadership are right now trying to set up state governments in a way that will allow them to challenge the results of any election that they lose. Trump is endorsing candidates for state offices that control election boards that will go along with his schemes in the future.  We can see in the recent results of the California recall vote and the Arizona election audit that Republicans are more than willing to not only claim that every election they lose is stolen, but continue on with it even after facts prove them completely wrong.  Tell me, is there a "both sides" aspect to this situation ? 

We see on Newstalkers how the right wing seeders lie and/or try to confuse the issues related to what I have brought up in this article.  What is the "both sides" element in this lying that appeals to moderates and independents that would lead them to say "both sides" are at fault? 

America is heading toward dark times. I really have a problem figuring how "both sides" ism or even worse, apathy,  is going to steer us through this incredibly turbulent path . 

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1  author  JohnRussell    3 years ago

The internet and media are designed to play the "both sides" are at fault game. It is turning out to be disastrous for the country.   Let's say Trump doesnt run in 2024. One of his chosen few will be the nominee then. The Republican Party is no longer the party of the Bush's , Reagan's , Jack Kemp's or Bob Dole's. The base of the Republican Party is white grievance.   Who in their right mind thinks that will turn out well for the country? 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.1  Texan1211  replied to  JohnRussell @1    3 years ago
The base of the Republican Party is white grievance.   

Who in their right mind believes that?

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1.1.1  author  JohnRussell  replied to  Texan1211 @1.1    3 years ago

Everyone. 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.1.2  Texan1211  replied to  JohnRussell @1.1.1    3 years ago

Certainly not everyone. What a ridiculous claim!!

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
1.1.3  Ozzwald  replied to  Texan1211 @1.1.2    3 years ago
Certainly not everyone. What a ridiculous claim!!

You are correct.  Everyone that looks at the facts with a clear and open mind, believes it.  Not just everyone.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.1.4  Texan1211  replied to  Ozzwald @1.1.3    3 years ago

[deleted]

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.1.5  Texan1211  replied to  Ozzwald @1.1.3    3 years ago

Believe the crap if you choose.

I am sure wiser heads will prevail.

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
1.1.6  Ozzwald  replied to  Texan1211 @1.1.5    3 years ago
I am sure wiser heads will prevail.

Wiser heads DID prevail .  Can you say President Biden ???

drop-the-mic-mic-drop.gif

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.1.7  Texan1211  replied to  Ozzwald @1.1.6    3 years ago

believe whatever crap you choose--or is spoon-fed to you.

bugsy
Professor Participates
1.1.8  bugsy  replied to  Ozzwald @1.1.6    3 years ago

Most people that voted Biden did so because they don't like mean tweets and Biden was not Trump.

Now, we find that many of those people wish for mean tweets again and are asking themselves why they wasted their vote.

CB
Professor Principal
1.1.9  CB  replied to  bugsy @1.1.8    3 years ago

80 million plus voters did not vote for Biden because of any damn tweet -mean or otherwise - by Artful Liar, Donald Trump. And I think you are telling a damn. . . untruth disguised with phrases like, "Many people say" . . . .

It is clear to me that "Many people say" dialed into as 80M plus voters did not a damn thing to persuade you let go of damn. . . untruths and your Artful Liar.

So we ain't falling for no "many people say" patty today!

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
1.1.10  Jack_TX  replied to  bugsy @1.1.8    3 years ago
Most people that voted Biden did so because they don't like mean tweets and Biden was not Trump.

Much, much more the latter than the former, but yes.

Now, we find that many of those people wish for mean tweets again and are asking themselves why they wasted their vote.

I think that's a fantasy. That's simply what Trump fans want to think.  I've never heard any Biden voter ever say they regret the decision.

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
1.1.11  Ozzwald  replied to  Texan1211 @1.1.7    3 years ago
believe whatever crap you choose

I BELIEVE Biden was elected POTUS.  Are you claiming otherwise???

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
1.1.12  Ozzwald  replied to  bugsy @1.1.8    3 years ago

So you are saying that Biden won because the vast majority of Americans hated Trump. 

I am saying that Trump lost because the vast majority of Americans hated Trump.

One way or another, the truth remains, Trump was the LOSER.

MindlessCompleteDunnart-size_restricted.gif

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.1.13  Texan1211  replied to  Ozzwald @1.1.11    3 years ago

being obtuse now won't cut it.

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
1.1.14  Ozzwald  replied to  Texan1211 @1.1.13    3 years ago
being obtuse now won't cut it.

Denying Biden is POTUS won't help you.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.1.15  Texan1211  replied to  Ozzwald @1.1.14    3 years ago

Congrats at making every post even more inane than the previous one.

Ronin2
Professor Quiet
2  Ronin2    3 years ago

Or else we could be lead by a Democrat moronic, mentally deficient, lying, human fuck up machine that has done more to destroy the country in eight months than Trump did in 4 years.

The Democrat Party is no longer for US citizens. Open borders, amnesty, and special rights, privileges, and voting for all immigrants will be the law of the land.

A two tier justice system that is a revolving door for far left rioters; while seeking to bankrupt right wing rioters from Jan 6th who are guilty of the exact same crimes.

They seek a system that rewards based on race; not who is the most qualified. They are for equal outcomes not equal opportunities.

They seek to use the courts, and government agencies to illegally punish their opponents. They would love nothing more to turn the US into China. One party rule with reeducation camps for those that dare to disagree with them.

They are the party of the perpetually aggrieved. 

Who in their right mind thinks that have Democrats in charge will turn out well for this country? 

SteevieGee
Professor Silent
2.1  SteevieGee  replied to  Ronin2 @2    3 years ago

That sounds an awful lot like white grievance to me.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.1.1  Texan1211  replied to  SteevieGee @2.1    3 years ago
That sounds an awful lot like white grievance to me.

Is that the progressive liberal mantra now?

GregTx
PhD Guide
2.1.2  GregTx  replied to  SteevieGee @2.1    3 years ago

Sounds an awful lot like political grievance to me. Perhaps you could point out what makes you think it's White grievance?

SteevieGee
Professor Silent
2.1.3  SteevieGee  replied to  GregTx @2.1.2    3 years ago
They seek a system that rewards based on race; not who is the most qualified. They are for equal outcomes not equal opportunities.

GregTx
PhD Guide
2.1.4  GregTx  replied to  SteevieGee @2.1.3    3 years ago

So wanting fairness and equal opportunity are signs of white grievance?

Thomas
Senior Guide
2.2  Thomas  replied to  Ronin2 @2    3 years ago
A two tier justice system that is a revolving door for far left rioters; while seeking to bankrupt right wing rioters from Jan 6th who are guilty of the exact same crimes. (Emphasis mine.

Excellent example of false equivalence. Please show me when the US Capitol was attacked by a mob of far left people intent on altering the results of an election?

Tessylo
Professor Principal
2.2.1  Tessylo  replied to  Thomas @2.2    3 years ago

That's all he has - + projection, deflection, and denial.  

CB
Professor Principal
2.3  CB  replied to  Ronin2 @2    3 years ago
The Democrat Party is no longer for US citizens.

Repeat after me: I will not be a divider. I will not be a divider. I will not be a divider.  I will not . . . .

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
2.4  Jack_TX  replied to  Ronin2 @2    3 years ago
Or else we could be lead by a Democrat moronic, mentally deficient, lying, human fuck up machine that has done more to destroy the country in eight months than Trump did in 4 years.

I'll ask you the same question I've asked John for years about Trump and that he can never answer.

Before we get started, you have the same rules as John, which means fuck off with rants about immigration or open borders or "our standing in the world" or people he's appointed that don't affect you anyway or anything else that doesn't have a material impact on your daily life.

So here goes:

What has Joe Biden actually done that has made your daily life measurably worse than it was under Trump?

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
2.5  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Ronin2 @2    3 years ago
"They would love nothing more to turn the US into China. One party rule with reeducation camps for those that dare to disagree with them."

No they wouldn't, because then nobody would have guns, there wouldn't be all those mass murders and gun violence on a daily basis, the incarceration rate would be so much less than in the USA, absolute poverty would not exist, plans for improving infrastructure and a moderately prosperous society would be made and realized without political rivalry blocking them for decades, the whole population would be happy to be vaccinated and minimal virus outbreaks quickly dealt with and controlled.  God forbid!!! 

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
3  Greg Jones    3 years ago

Trump cannot win another national election. Biden won only because enough people were fed up with Trump and his never ending tweets. Right now he's just keeping the base fired up. This will become clear when the Republicans take back the House, and most likely the Senate in the midterms. Once this happens, challengers to Trump will appear. The most likely of those will be Abbott, DeSantis, and perhaps Haley. The party leaders and those Republicans in flyover country won't allow Trump to have another bite at the apple.

But yes, there are two sides at play here. The good and moral side, and then the bullshit being perpetrated upon us by the Democrats.

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
3.1  Ozzwald  replied to  Greg Jones @3    3 years ago
Biden won only because enough people were fed up with Trump and his never ending tweets.

AND because people were fed up with Trump's racist, nepotistic, incompetent, administration.

bugsy
Professor Participates
3.1.1  bugsy  replied to  Ozzwald @3.1    3 years ago
AND because people were fed up with Trump's racist, nepotistic, incompetent, administration.

How about some true examples of what you spew?

BTW...your feelings don't count.

CB
Professor Principal
3.1.2  CB  replied to  bugsy @3.1.1    3 years ago

Why don't feelings count? Everybody has feelings. You can especially find feeling overwrought with Artful Liar. Donald Trump always carries a barely visible big sob cloth draped over his shoulder to wipe away his spewing tears! It is how he expresses shame. Of course, you do not present here to discuss Donald Trump's fartish attitude - @Trump-whipped.

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
3.1.3  Ozzwald  replied to  bugsy @3.1.1    3 years ago
How about some true examples of what you spew?

web_extremist-files_stephen-miller-0720.jpg

You want another one?

200403-think-jared-kushner-se-436p.jpg

bugsy
Professor Participates
3.1.4  bugsy  replied to  Ozzwald @3.1.3    3 years ago

So you only have pictures of people you don't like, but no truth in your post.

I asked you not to use your feelings...but you failed.

bugsy
Professor Participates
3.1.5  bugsy  replied to  CB @3.1.2    3 years ago

What in God's name are you babbling about?

CB
Professor Principal
3.1.6  CB  replied to  bugsy @3.1.5    3 years ago

Why bother invoking God as a pretense? God ain't in anything some conservatives are doing! Oh and feeling are all you have in your pocket and in your 'shopping cart' -because critical thinking or truth is lacking. You want to play stupid word games—in the words of George W. Bush, . . . well, RINO, you should remember what he said about times like this so I won't patronize you to share it!

bugsy
Professor Participates
3.1.7  bugsy  replied to  CB @3.1.6    3 years ago

I think the best example of lack of critical thinking resides in most of your posts. I really advise you to take a good, hard look at what you post.

It may be an eye opener.

CB
Professor Principal
3.1.8  CB  replied to  bugsy @3.1.7    3 years ago

Keep some of what goes for 'advice' for yourself. I can get better informed from a so-called 'fortune cookie' than from a Trump-RINO.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
3.1.9  Texan1211  replied to  CB @3.1.8    3 years ago
I can get better informed from a so-called 'fortune cookie' than from a Trump-RINO.

Then why haven't you?

CB
Professor Principal
3.1.10  CB  replied to  Texan1211 @3.1.9    3 years ago

Bye.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
3.2  Tessylo  replied to  Greg Jones @3    3 years ago

Yeah, that was the only problem we had with whatshisname  - his tweets FFS

jrSmiley_80_smiley_image.gif

The 'right' are the 'good and moral' side?

jrSmiley_10_smiley_image.gif

CB
Professor Principal
3.3  CB  replied to  Greg Jones @3    3 years ago

original   There you go again telling untruths to soothe bankrupt minds.

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
3.4  Jack_TX  replied to  Greg Jones @3    3 years ago
Trump cannot win another national election.

I'd agree with that.

Biden won only because enough people were fed up with Trump and his never ending tweets.

But to be fair, Trump only won because people couldn't stand Hillary and her elitist bullshit.

Right now he's just keeping the base fired up. This will become clear when the Republicans take back the House, and most likely the Senate in the midterms. Once this happens, challengers to Trump will appear. The most likely of those will be Abbott, DeSantis, and perhaps Haley. The party leaders and those Republicans in flyover country won't allow Trump to have another bite at the apple.

I'm agreeing with this, too.  I think this is the rational stance.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
3.4.1  author  JohnRussell  replied to  Jack_TX @3.4    3 years ago

Trump will destroy Abbott, De Santis and Haley. 

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
3.4.2  Jack_TX  replied to  JohnRussell @3.4.1    3 years ago

Meh.  We'll see.

I've told you already how I think that is more likely to unfold, but it is far too early to tell.

If Trump wins again, he wins.  It's not the outcome I would want, but it's the end of the world, either.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
3.5  Sparty On  replied to  Greg Jones @3    3 years ago
Trump and his never ending tweets.

Prediction, if Trump runs in 2024 Twitter will "graciously" unlock his Twitter account.   I mean you know, in the interest of free speech and all ........ /S

Nerm_L
Professor Expert
4  Nerm_L    3 years ago

If you don't look at both sides then you have only been conditioned to drool when the bell rings.

Is Joe Biden really any different than Donald Trump?  Biden tells his supporters what they want to hear and then does whatever he wants to do.  Biden is actually more dangerous than Trump because Biden is driven by expediency.  Biden doesn't govern on any sort of principles other than benefiting the Democratic Party.  Biden certainly isn't whipping his party in line the way Trump did.  The Democratic Party certainly doesn't fear Biden the way the Republican Party fears Trump.  That's because the Democratic base won't fight for Biden; Biden doesn't represent any principles worth fighting for.

Biden's calls for national unity really is nationalism.  Biden's rhetoric about democracy really is pluralist populism.  And Biden's populist nationalism is based upon appeals to idealized cultural norms based on 'who we are as a people'.  Biden may not be an Adolf Hitler but Biden is utilizing the politics of the Nazi Party and governs for his party to obtain power just as the Nazi Party obtained power over Germany.  The Nazi Party wasn't only about Adolf Hitler.  The Nazi Party did not respect borders just as the Democratic Party does not respect borders.  The Nazi Party used German laws, courts, and government to obtain unchallenged authority over Germany the same way Democrats are using the Constitution, laws, courts, and government to obtain authority over the United States.

Joe Biden is a Party First politician and uses government authority to promote and advance the authoritarian control of his party over the United States.  But somehow that's not Fascism?

The bell has rung, are you drooling yet?

Hallux
PhD Principal
4.1  Hallux  replied to  Nerm_L @4    3 years ago

After 5 "nazis" and 2 "Hitlers" along with several other loaded terms it sounds like Skinner is taking Pavlov's woof hunting for squirrels.

Nerm_L
Professor Expert
4.1.1  Nerm_L  replied to  Hallux @4.1    3 years ago
After 5 "nazis" and 2 "Hitlers" along with several other loaded terms it sounds like Skinner is taking Pavlov's woof hunting for squirrels.

I've only rung the bell and pointed at a squirrel.  Now it's up to Pavlov's dogs to decide what to do.  Will they follow their conditioning or think for themselves?

Tessylo
Professor Principal
4.2  Tessylo  replied to  Nerm_L @4    3 years ago

The only things whatshisname did were to benefit himself and his already wealthy 'donors'.

Nazi party, fascists blah de fucking blah - that's what whatshisname wanted to be and the majority of his supporters are - white supremacists.

CB
Professor Principal
4.3  CB  replied to  Nerm_L @4    3 years ago
Is Joe Biden really any different than Donald Trump?  Biden tells his supporters what they want to hear and then does whatever he wants to do. 

Yes Joe Biden is different from Donald Trump. If he was not, then you would have nothing to bitch and groan about in his presidency. You bitch and groan. . . so, there: You evidently see differences in the two men.

Second assertion: You just telling a damn. . . untruth.

CB
Professor Principal
4.4  CB  replied to  Nerm_L @4    3 years ago
Biden certainly isn't whipping his party in line the way Trump did.

Is that what Trump is doing "whipping" freedom lovers into order? Hell no. Donald Trump is 'banging' the republican and conservative parties, plural, hard and both are going: YES! YES! MORE! MORE!!!

CB
Professor Principal
4.5  CB  replied to  Nerm_L @4    3 years ago
Biden may not be an Adolf Hitler but Biden is utilizing the politics of the Nazi Party and governs for his party to obtain power just as the Nazi Party obtained power over Germany.  The

That is a damn. . . untruth. Until you prove it.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
5  author  JohnRussell    3 years ago
Once this happens, challengers to Trump will appear. The most likely of those will be Abbott, DeSantis, and perhaps Haley. The party leaders and those Republicans in flyover country won't allow Trump to have another bite at the apple.

This is entirely wishful thinking.  If and when he begins his "actual" campaign (in contrast to the preliminary campaign he is running now) Trump will destroy Abbott , De Santis and Haley and anyone else who runs. The reason for that is quite obvious. Trump wont fight fair. He will lie about his opponents, make up things about their past, and accuse them of being closet Democrats. And his base will believe him, and there is nothing anyone can do about it. If he runs, he will be the nominee. 

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
5.1  Greg Jones  replied to  JohnRussell @5    3 years ago

His supposed base is not that big or powerful. It's just the extremists and crazy outliers who are getting all the attention right now.

He won't be the nominee.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
5.1.1  author  JohnRussell  replied to  Greg Jones @5.1    3 years ago

Do you ever look at polls about this? Trump is overwhelmingly the choice of Republicans to be their 2024 candidate. 

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
5.1.2  Greg Jones  replied to  JohnRussell @5.1.1    3 years ago

I don't rely on biased polls this far out.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
5.1.3  author  JohnRussell  replied to  Greg Jones @5.1.2    3 years ago

No, you rely on your imagination. 

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
5.1.4  Greg Jones  replied to  JohnRussell @5.1.3    3 years ago

Wait and be educated.  You've consistently been proven wrong

JaneDoe
Sophomore Silent
6  JaneDoe    3 years ago

I firmly believe in it.

If one doesn’t realize there are liars, crooks and self serving idiots on both sides they just don’t want to see it. 

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
6.1  author  JohnRussell  replied to  JaneDoe @6    3 years ago

So Biden is JUST AS BAD as Trump?   Thank you for making comments that are an example of what is wrong with America today. 

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
6.1.1  Greg Jones  replied to  JohnRussell @6.1    3 years ago

Actually, Biden is much, much worse. He's bad for our country and tearing it apart.

It's thinking like yours that is what is wrong with America today. Thankfully, it is not all that wide spread.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
6.1.2  author  JohnRussell  replied to  Greg Jones @6.1.1    3 years ago

So you think Biden has done something specifically worse than Trump trying to steal the last election ? Please, tell us what that is ? 

TᵢG
Professor Principal
6.1.3  TᵢG  replied to  JohnRussell @6.1    3 years ago

That is not what she wrote.   She stated a common feature in both major political parties ("liars, crooks and self serving idiots on both sides") and that is demonstrably true.    She characterized the typical modern politician.   Just because someone uses the phrase "both sides" does not mean they are saying both parties are equivalent in all dimensions.   You should stop reading that into the words of others.

Specifically, she did not compare Trump with Biden.  (yet)

I will answer your question though:  no PotUS can compare with Trump who set the bar of disintegrity and shit character very high with his post-election con-job.    Trump is a distinguished stain on the presidency — an embarrassment to this nation who inexplicably voted him into office as our president in spite of his fundamental character flaws.   And then, worse, after his historical and disgusting post-election-loss con-job we still support this narcissistic liar as the leader of the R party.

JaneDoe
Sophomore Silent
6.1.4  JaneDoe  replied to  TᵢG @6.1.3    3 years ago
That is not what she wrote.

A somewhat common problem here. People twisting statements to fit their own narrative.

JaneDoe
Sophomore Silent
6.1.5  JaneDoe  replied to  JohnRussell @6.1    3 years ago
making comments that are an example of what is wrong with America today. 

No John, I don’t. I leave that to the pros such as yourself!

TᵢG
Professor Principal
6.1.6  TᵢG  replied to  JaneDoe @6.1.4    3 years ago

Yup.   I replied because I have been accused of 'both side ism' multiple times.   It seems that finding similarity among parties means you think both parties are identical in all respects.   A crap tactic.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
6.1.7  TᵢG  replied to  JaneDoe @6.1.4    3 years ago

It is the nature of online forums.   It is also the nature of partisan politics.   Note that almost all of our political 'news' is spin.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
6.1.8  author  JohnRussell  replied to  TᵢG @6.1.3    3 years ago

There is no Republican Party without Trump in 2021.  If he left to start a third party half of Republicans would go with him. 

But lets talk about Democrats being just as bad as Republicans. 

We essentially have "proof" that Trump tried to steal the 2020 election.  How many REPUBLICANS  have condemned him for that?  To be honest with you I cant find any. If you know of any current Republican officeholders who have condemned Trump for trying to steal the election please give me their names. 

How many Republicans condemned Trump for inciting the Jan 6 riot?  At first there were some, but their enthusiasm for the truth died out quickly, and now they  are all cowered. 

This is what it means to be a Republican today. Pretend that the head of your party is not rotten as hell. 

We have people here who seriously try to compare Bidens verbal miscues with 6 years of Trump lying his ass off every single day.  It is insanity. 

They disagree with Bidens policies so they say he is as bad as Trump. I didnt like many of Trumps policies, but his policies are not why he was the worst president in American history, his behavior and his mountainous personal corruption is. 

Republicans are very prone to believing lies and conspiracy theories, and our media is too weak and too corporate to call them out on it. 

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
6.1.9  author  JohnRussell  replied to  TᵢG @6.1.7    3 years ago

You live in a fairy tale land where "non partisanship" is the only "rational" way to proceed. That is nice I suppose, but it is completely unrealistic. 

The Republicans are currently trying to set up state governments so they will be able to control the outcomes of future elections in a extra-legal way by using legislative committees and state officials to determine if there was "fraud".  This is the Trump plan. 

Where is the hook for "both sides ism" in that behavior? 

Is "non partisanship" going to solve the problem of Republicans trying to fix future elections? 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
6.1.10  Texan1211  replied to  JohnRussell @6.1.8    3 years ago
There is no Republican Party without Trump in 2021. 

Bury the GOP (again?!?!?) at your own peril, and simply ignore every poll and ignore the fact that despite Biden winning easily, Democrats barely retained their House majority, and EVERY indication is they will lose it in 2022.

Will you EVER learn from history or just keep right on making these bizarre statements about the GOP being basically dead?

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
6.1.11  author  JohnRussell  replied to  Texan1211 @6.1.10    3 years ago

You couldnt debate your way out of a wet paper bag. 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
6.1.12  Texan1211  replied to  JohnRussell @6.1.11    3 years ago

Lucky for me then that I just have to debate YOU, then!

Easy-peasy!

P.S.

I'll tell the paper bag to go real easy on you.

Snuffy
Professor Participates
6.1.13  Snuffy  replied to  JohnRussell @6.1.9    3 years ago
The Republicans are currently trying to set up state governments so they will be able to control the outcomes of future elections in a extra-legal way by using legislative committees and state officials to determine if there was "fraud".  This is the Trump plan.  Where is the hook for "both sides ism" in that behavior? 

What do you call what the Democrats are trying to do at the federal level to control state elections?

TᵢG
Professor Principal
6.1.14  TᵢG  replied to  JohnRussell @6.1.8    3 years ago
There is no Republican Party without Trump in 2021. 

And that is tragic.

But lets talk about Democrats being just as bad as Republicans. 

Nobody made that specific claim.   But you should be able to tell from my comments that my position is that the R party has lost its way.   Thus, right now, the Rs are worse in terms of integrity than the Ds because of their support for Trump.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
6.1.15  author  JohnRussell  replied to  Texan1211 @6.1.12    3 years ago

I have lint on my shoulder that puts up a better fight than you do. 

TᵢG
Professor Principal
6.1.16  TᵢG  replied to  JohnRussell @6.1.9    3 years ago
You live in a fairy tale land where "non partisanship" is the only "rational" way to proceed. That is nice I suppose, but it is completely unrealistic.

I explained my position on partisanship to you a few weeks ago.   Have you forgotten what I wrote?   I wrote that there are (in my view) strategic partisans and comformist partisans.   The strategic partisans are those who believe their party is, as a whole, better for the nation than the other party.   Thus, even though they do not agree with every position held by their party, they work to have their party in the leadership positions.    Conformist partisans are those who largely adopt the positions of their party.   This is the irrational part:  holding as true and running with that which is merely stated by an authority.

I should not have to explain this to you every time.

Starting off with the personal  'fairy tale' crap is a great way to encourage people to rip into you.  

Texan1211
Professor Principal
6.1.17  Texan1211  replied to  JohnRussell @6.1.15    3 years ago

JR, your WHOLE argument about ANYTHING political always boils down to just three little words which you always attempt to hang your hat on:

Orange Man Bad.

There, I have summed up pretty accurately the vast majority of your posts and seeded articles over the last 5 years.

Debate with you?

What would be the point?

You have never once shown ANY possibility of anyone changing your mind regarding anything political that I have seen. Your mind is closed like a steel trap, ensuring the never ending mantra of Orange Man Bad spewing from your fingertips.

It's pitiful.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
6.1.18  Texan1211  replied to  JohnRussell @6.1.15    3 years ago
I have lint on my shoulder

Have whoever dresses you remove it.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
6.1.19  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Texan1211 @6.1.17    3 years ago
You have never once shown ANY possibility of anyone changing your mind regarding anything political that I have seen. Your mind is closed like a steel trap, ensuring the never ending mantra of Orange Man Bad spewing from your fingertips.

How is that any different from what you wrote to Tig:

I meant that no matter what a Democrat does, it would always pale in comparison to the very LEAST of Trump's transgressions.

Because what you are basically saying is that there is not a decent Dem around. Please correct me if I am wrong.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
6.1.20  author  JohnRussell  replied to  Texan1211 @6.1.17    3 years ago

Unfortunately Newstalkers requires us to be polite. 

-----------------

Orange man bad? 

Damn straight. 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
6.1.21  Texan1211  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @6.1.19    3 years ago
I meant that no matter what a Democrat does, it would always pale in comparison to the very LEAST of Trump's transgressions.

I am not going to debate whether you think that some Democrats give a pass to other Democrats or not. It isn't debatable to me. Members of the GOP do the same thing, which I am sure you would agree with.

My point was that SOME Democrats seem to think that whatever a Democrat does, it pales in comparison to the very least they accuse Trump of.

I said nothing about decency and Democrats, and am wondering where you read that at, or how you interpreted my comment in such a way as to be led to believe that.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
6.1.22  Texan1211  replied to  JohnRussell @6.1.20    3 years ago
Orange man bad? 

Yep, summed all your posts up nicely AND accurately!

Thanks for confirming my exact point so well and so quickly.

No need for debate when you keep proving me right.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
6.1.23  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Texan1211 @6.1.21    3 years ago
I said nothing about decency and Democrats, and am wondering where you read that at, or how you interpreted my comment in such a way as to be led to believe that.

I said decent, not decency, which is two different things. What I was asking you is you found any democrat good enough for you.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
6.1.24  Texan1211  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @6.1.23    3 years ago

There are good Democrats.

I have never denied that.

That wasn't ever my point.

JaneDoe
Sophomore Silent
6.1.25  JaneDoe  replied to  TᵢG @6.1.6    3 years ago
A crap tactic.

Indeed it is.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
6.1.26  Trout Giggles  replied to  Snuffy @6.1.13    3 years ago

What are the Democrats doing at the federal level?

MonsterMash
Sophomore Quiet
6.1.27  MonsterMash  replied to  JohnRussell @6.1.15    3 years ago
I have lint on my shoulder

It's not lint on your shoulders, it's dandruff

bugsy
Professor Participates
6.1.28  bugsy  replied to  JohnRussell @6.1.11    3 years ago

Looks to most of us he is handing you your ass.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
6.1.29  author  JohnRussell  replied to  bugsy @6.1.28    3 years ago

Of course you would think that, you are in the same boat he is. 

Dulay
Professor Expert
6.1.30  Dulay  replied to  Snuffy @6.1.13    3 years ago

What bill is that?

bugsy
Professor Participates
6.1.31  bugsy  replied to  JohnRussell @6.1.29    3 years ago

Believe me...He did

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
6.2  author  JohnRussell  replied to  JaneDoe @6    3 years ago

Jane Doe, what has Biden done or said that is as bad as Trump trying to steal the 2020 election ?  Please be specific. 

JaneDoe
Sophomore Silent
6.2.1  JaneDoe  replied to  JohnRussell @6.2    3 years ago

Take off your blinders John. I didn’t compare Biden to Trump and don’t plan on debating anything of the sort with you. 
If you can’t see that both sides of the political spectrum are basically the same that’s on you. I’m talking about the parties and stand by what I said 100%!

Texan1211
Professor Principal
6.2.2  Texan1211  replied to  JaneDoe @6.2.1    3 years ago

To a select few, NO Democrat could ever do a single thing that would ever compare to the least of Trump's transgressions.

After lunch they will have a few Democrats walk on water, too!

TᵢG
Professor Principal
6.2.3  TᵢG  replied to  Texan1211 @6.2.2    3 years ago
NO Democrat could ever do a single thing that would ever compare to the least of Trump's transgressions.

That reads as though you do not recognize that Trump is distinguished among presidents;  no PotUS has ever used the powers and influence of his office to engage in a con-job like what we saw after Trump lost the election.   And because so many R sycophants continue to support that lying sack of shit, he continues to have influence and continues to use it to keep alive this ridiculous fiction that he really won in 2020.

To not see the stark difference in publicly displayed abysmal character between Trump and every other PotUS is a glaring failure of objective analysis.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
6.2.4  Texan1211  replied to  TᵢG @6.2.3    3 years ago

Then you obviously misinterpreted my comment.

I am sorry, I thought my post was abundantly clear.

My mistake.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
6.2.5  TᵢG  replied to  Texan1211 @6.2.4    3 years ago
Then you obviously misinterpreted my comment.

Here is what you wrote:

Texan @ 6.2.2 ☞ To a select few, NO Democrat could ever do a single thing that would ever compare to the least of Trump's transgressions.

The qualification "to a select few" means you think some Ds are so biased that they downplay every D transgression.

My reply points out that Trump's transgressions are so visibly large that no PotUS (D or otherwise) holds a candle to his publicly displayed abysmal character.

You were bashing the extreme D partisans.   My reply illustrated that it is not D partisanship that yields a distinguished Trump, it is what Trump actually did that distinguishes him as the worst PotUS (in our history) in terms of publicly displayed character and unpresidential behavior.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
6.2.6  Texan1211  replied to  TᵢG @6.2.5    3 years ago

Interpret MY words as you will, it really seems to be your thing.

Maybe one day you'll even get it right.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
6.2.7  TᵢG  replied to  Texan1211 @6.2.6    3 years ago

I was not reinterpreting your words ... I stated how your words read (to me):

TiG @6.2.3 - That reads as though you do not recognize that Trump is distinguished among presidents;  ...

And what you actually meant is not really something I care to debate.    I accept whatever meaning you wish to declare for your words.

Instead I have chosen to make a point about Trump in consideration of this 'both sides' topic.  

My point is that one can easily show that the R party has the distinction of supporting the absolute worst PotUS in our history in terms of publicly displayed abysmal character and unpresidential behavior.

That is one key difference between the parties.   And I am so disgusted with the R party nowadays that I do not mind repeating this at every opportunity. 

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
6.2.8  author  JohnRussell  replied to  JaneDoe @6.2.1    3 years ago
If you can’t see that both sides of the political spectrum are basically the same that’s on you.

Anyone who thinks that both parties are the same today is out of their mind. 

TᵢG
Professor Principal
6.2.9  TᵢG  replied to  JohnRussell @6.2.8    3 years ago
  • Both parties contain politicians.  
  • Most politicians today are career politicians (vs. statespersons).
  • Both parties have leadership which uses coercion to influence the votes of the members.
  • Both parties are driven to secure campaign donations and are thus influenced by donors.
  • Both parties will bend the rules to their advantage in spite of the damage to the nation (and the CotUS).

I think you could add plenty to this list John.   The point is that the D and R parties share many similarities.   They are equivalent in many ways.   They are NOT equivalent in ALL ways.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
6.2.10  author  JohnRussell  replied to  TᵢG @6.2.9    3 years ago

Historically you are right.  We are not in Kansas anymore. 

JaneDoe
Sophomore Silent
6.2.11  JaneDoe  replied to  JohnRussell @6.2.8    3 years ago
Anyone who thinks that both parties are the same today is out of their mind

I tend to think that anyone who believes their parties shit doesn’t stink are out of their minds. 
On a side note, I am a little crazy just not in political terms! 

CB
Professor Principal
6.2.12  CB  replied to  TᵢG @6.2.9    3 years ago

It is sad that politics and policies do intertwine and 'makes for strangebedfellows.' This is true. It seems another saying, "Don't talk about sex, religion, and politics" because of the passions raised holds too!

This is all the more reason, why we do not NEED politicians (and a public) who exacerbate issues, dilemmas, problems, and circumstance in every day life. The "needle" does skip from one side of the spectrum (democrat/republican/independent (as in Angus King)) touching in some common reference points to all involved!

I have seen it happen in this new administration.

Why? Because even a 'dastardly' president can have a period of clarity in policy-making. Before going down into the dark 'hole' of politics and deception again.

CB
Professor Principal
6.3  CB  replied to  JaneDoe @6    3 years ago

But, you have to pick your liars, crooks, and self-serving idiots in the moment and not by the lump! Or else your perspective will be skewed.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
8  Trout Giggles    3 years ago

There are crooks and liars in both parties, but my partisanship sees more of it on the conservative side. Believe me, there are liberals who are con artists, too.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
8.1  TᵢG  replied to  Trout Giggles @8    3 years ago

Nowadays I agree with you.   The R party has never been so low in my lifetime.   I continue to be amazed that so many continue to prop up Trump as their leader.   It is pathetic and damaging to both the R party and our nation.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
8.1.2  Trout Giggles  replied to    3 years ago
Are you a ‘trumpist’ or are you a conservative?

Interesting question. I never thought the trumpists were true conservatives

TᵢG
Professor Principal
8.1.3  TᵢG  replied to  Trout Giggles @8.1.2    3 years ago

I do not know what they are other than low-grade conformists.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
8.1.4  Sparty On  replied to    3 years ago

Labels like Trumpist are at best problematic and at worst completely off base.   It's not helpful to the conversation in the least

Admittedly, i'm not really 100% sure what you intend "Trumpist" to mean but one assumes it is intended to be a derogatory term for people who voted for Trump.   Lack of capitalization noted .....

Trump followed through on a the conservative platform much more than most Presidents of recent memory.   Do i believe that Trump is really conservative?   No i do not.   Do i know he followed through on his promised conservative platform?   Yes i do because for the most part he did.

I liken this to what i tell all my employees.   You don't have to like everyone you work with.   You just have to work with them and show them the same respect you expect to get from them.   If i had to like all politicians to vote for them, i'd be voting for a lot fewer politicians.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
8.1.6  Sparty On  replied to    3 years ago
Anyone who still doubts the outcome of this last presidential election is nothing but a ‘trumpist’ (derogatory term also intentional). 

Opinions do vary.  

Like most people i know, Trump doesn't do our thinking for us.   We do it for ourselves.   What i do know is that there hasn't been a thorough, truly independent investigation into that election so i don't blame people for  questioning the outcome nor do i look down my nose at them or feel the need to label them with sophomoric, derogatory terms.   I leave that to the usual cast of characters who seem to derive some kind of perverse pleasure from spreading that bad karma whenever possible.

Emphasis intentional .....

TᵢG
Professor Principal
8.1.7  TᵢG  replied to  Sparty On @8.1.6    3 years ago
Opinions do vary.  

WTF?   Do you doubt that Biden is the legitimate PotUS?

What i do know is that there hasn't been a thorough, truly independent investigation into that election ...

Unbelievable.    No evidence that would lead to a change in the results, countless lawsuits and recounts and you, even now, claim that this is not enough?   It would be different if there was some solid evidence justifying an investigation, but there is nothing.   It has been all bullshit emanating from Trump and hyped by his minions (e.g. Giuliani ):

Rachel summarized Giuliani's message this way: "I read some stuff — I think it was maybe on Facebook — I laid it out to the public as what we knew to be the facts, and no, I had no idea if it was true or not. I didn't even try to check. Why would I try to check? You wouldn't have a story then."

Sparty On
Professor Principal
8.1.8  Sparty On  replied to  TᵢG @8.1.7    3 years ago
WTF?   Do you doubt that Biden is the legitimate PotUS?

I accepted he was elected President long before Jan 6th.   The legitimacy of which is reasonably questionable as already noted.

Unbelievable.    No evidence that would lead to a change in the results, countless lawsuits and recounts and you, even now, claim that this is not enough?   It would be different if there was some solid evidence justifying an investigation, but there is nothing.   It has been all bullshit emanating from Trump and hyped by his minions (e.g. Giuliani ):

Nah, what is real BS though is how hard the left fights "truly independent investigations" into voting irregularities throughout the country.   Blah, blah, blah on how above board it was but when folks want to prove that out they whine like little bitches about not needing verification.    The sanctimonious crap coming from those same people that supported wasting billions of dollars of tax dollars investigating Trump endlessly, simply on a hatred of Trump is beyond the pale..

You act like you have some kind of high ground here and you've got nothing.   Nothing at all.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
8.1.9  TᵢG  replied to  Sparty On @8.1.8    3 years ago
You act like you have some kind of high ground here and you've got nothing.   Nothing at all.

And here you employ the tactic of merely claiming truth in hopes that it will stick.   Just after you claim that Trump does not do your thinking for you, you parrot  his modus operandi.

Nothing at all?   The USA presidential election process executed as it has done every four years since our founding.  But this time, per you, for the first time in history, the US system was compromised to the point of delivering the wrong results and without a trace of evidence / smoking gun??!  

The results were independently certified by the secretaries of state for each of the 50 states, their certified results were accepted as valid by Congress and Biden was officially deemed the president elect.   The lawsuits filed by Trump, et. al. have ALL failed to deliver anything that would have changed the results of the election in any state much less at a national level.   Countless recounts were made all failing to change the results.

And you say I have nothing?   Unbelievable Sparty.   You stand there without a shred of evidence and posit (even now) an entirely ridiculous claim that Biden might have not legitimately won the presidency and then project the absurdity to me.  

Sparty On
Professor Principal
8.1.11  Sparty On  replied to  TᵢG @8.1.9    3 years ago
And here you employ the tactic of merely claiming truth in hopes that it will stick.   Just after you claim that Trump does not do your thinking for you, you parrot  his modus operandi.

Yeah, you got no high ground.   It's okay if you disagree.   I could care less what your opinion about it is.   Same goes for your opinion about Trump thinking for me.   100% off base once again there buddy.

The results were independently certified by the secretaries of state for each of the 50 states, their certified results were accepted as valid by Congress and Biden was officially deemed the president elect.   The lawsuits filed by Trump, et. al. have ALL failed to deliver anything that would have changed the results of the election in any state much less at a national level.   Countless recounts were made all failing to change the results.

Secretaries of State are not independent.   Far from it actually   They are responsible for the actual elections.   There is a reason "certified" audits don't use staff from the company/business/organization being audited.   Perhaps you prefer using the fox to count your hens in the hen house.   I don't for very obvious reasons.

And you say I have nothing?   Unbelievable Sparty.   You stand there without a shred of evidence and posit (even now) an entirely ridiculous claim that Biden might have not legitimately won the presidency and then project the absurdity to me. 

Yeah, i didn't stutter either time.   You've got no high ground on this one but again, i could really care less what your opinion is on the matter so you can keep rambling on if you want and make no mistake.   That is all you have is an opinion.   Nothing more.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
8.1.12  Sparty On  replied to    3 years ago

Show me some real "independent" audits, done by real "independent" auditors and i'll agree with you.   I know they have happened here and there but not in most places wher questions arose.   In most places the people doing the auditing are the same people who handled the election the first time.

That is the antithesis of independent.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
8.1.13  TᵢG  replied to  Sparty On @8.1.11    3 years ago
... you can keep rambling on ...

Irony.  

CB
Professor Principal
8.1.14  CB  replied to  TᵢG @8.1.9    3 years ago

Unbelievably believable. These people are intentionally rigging life for the rest of us: doing so in plain sight of everyone!  It would seem they are looking for "the fool born every day" stuck in the thicket of our society and social media. If they can get one new 'convert' a day to their way of thinking about 'America" it is a day well served!

Dulay
Professor Expert
8.1.15  Dulay  replied to  Sparty On @8.1.8    3 years ago
Nah, what is real BS though is how hard the left fights "truly independent investigations" into voting irregularities throughout the country. 

Which "truly independent investigations" did the 'left' fight Sparty? Please cite the state and the organization. A link would be even better. 

Blah, blah, blah on how above board it was but when folks want to prove that out they whine like little bitches about not needing verification. 

AGAIN, which state failed to verify their election results to your standards? 

Hell Trump demanded and Abbott actually acquiesced to doing an audit in Texas where Trump WON. To what purpose? Does Trump want to win Texas by MORE to counter the findings in Arizona? 

The sanctimonious crap coming from those same people that supported wasting billions of dollars of tax dollars investigating Trump endlessly, simply on a hatred of Trump is beyond the pale..

Hyperbolic much? Unless you can support your 'billions' BS, just stop. 

Trump has Durham STILL investigating and we know that the DOJ investigated all of the bullshit 'voting fraud' accusation from Trump after the election. How much has that cost so far? 

Ditto. 

Sparty On
Professor Principal
8.1.16  Sparty On  replied to  TᵢG @8.1.13    3 years ago
Irony.  

Projection

Thomas
Senior Guide
12  Thomas    3 years ago

Do I believe in both-sides-ism? No. 

There are more than two ways to view many issues and there are more than two choices to any substantive issue. The will of any specific person can be behind any or several of answers to issues. People, in and of themselves are a smorgasbord of differences of opinion: A full color spectrum of possibilities, shades, hues and subtle nuance that takes time to understand and appreciate. 

Onto this glorious palette we try to superimpose the imprint of politics, in this instance, the "choice" between "R" and "D" as if one were consistently correct and right about whatever issues they and, by circular extension, we are considering to be important at any given moment in time. Hence, a dualistic theme further reduced to monochrome: Flat and lifeless. "You are either for us or against us!" I, for one, refuse to be reduced and confined by these artificial restrictions.

We should, as much as possible, divorce the issues that we care about from the tags that have been attached by politicians. Discuss the issues, not the people promoting them or telling us that R's or D's will bring about destruction of the world as we know it. I believe that if a person is of good moral character, they should be able to make prudent decisions on the present and future of the country regardless of political flavorings. This is why I am seriously disappointed in the current representation of the country at large. A third of Americans seem to have divorced themselves not from the politicians but from the issues and seem blind to enormous character flaws of their great Orange leader, so much so that they, and their political leaders, would follow him to hells gate for the promise of a cookie.

CB
Professor Principal
12.1  CB  replied to  Thomas @12    3 years ago

Your assessments are correct. Our resident "conservatives" (they are really trump supporters and nothing much else) know what they are doing and they do it with glee. Red states and their voters are in agreement on every decision made. Thus, you can blame 'red staters' equally as their elected and caught red-handed elected officials.

Trump conservatives are hypocrites. They don't want people of color to know their place in society. Their simple-minded understanding of a "replacement theory" shows just how scared they are of becoming irrelevant. Moreover, its summary evidence of a notion that some Whites in our 'blended' country have only been faking unity; they see no interest or value in letting people of color, women, and homosexuals having equal slices of the "American Pie."