╌>

The Pandemic and it's aftermath. A look back.

Category:  Op/Ed

By:  vic-eldred  •  2 years ago  •  109 comments

The Pandemic and it's aftermath. A look back.
“I just think COVID is God’s gift to the left"......Jane Fonda

I think it's time to start to estimate all the damage caused by the pandemic of 2020, as well as to consider how far we are from restoring some sense of normalcy. This was an epic tragedy that one could argue was preventable. The Chinese government initially tried to protect it's own country, as it allowed flights to go out to all parts of the world. The CCP also deliberately tried to hide how the Pandemic happened.

Let us begin with the initial consequences:

According to the CDC, as of July 27, 2022: 1,026,723 Americans have died from it.

https://covid.cdc.gov/covid-data-tracker/#trends_dailydeaths_select_00

Then there were the economic consequences. The robust US economy of 2019 was completely shut down in March of 2020 at the suggestion of Dr Anthony Fauci. The shut down was supposed to be for a few weeks, but weeks became months. Small businesses and entry level workers were the first casualties. Some were permanent casualties. In addition the CDC was woefully unprepared and the government had to splurge on masks, ventilators and vaccine research. Multiple $Trillion recovery packages have only led us to 9% inflation and a Recession.

8770153a9926f76a1f39861f11b2aa4f

The demise of Donald Trump. The shut down of the US economy is arguably the key reason that Donald Trump went from 2019 favorite to be re-elected to the fall guy for the pandemic. Jane Fonda called it. The pandemic put an end to America's restoration and put the radical left right into power. Part of his enduring legacy will be the vaccines that he advanced in the record time of 10 months.

Deep Division: As if we didn't have enough division, Joe Biden further divided the country over vaccination. Those who got vaccinated were good and those who didn't were blamed. People lost their jobs over it! A mandate was imposed on the military over it!
Joe Biden, who got every vaccine available recently got covid. Shortly thereafter we heard Dr. Deborah Birx finally, at long last, admit that the vaccines were not as effective as many were led to believe and admitted health officials overplayed it. That admission is a small footnote for our dishonest media.

Broken families. How many had to choose between income and having one parent stay at home when the Teacher's Union kept schools closed?  The kids lost a year of schooling and there was a psychological cost to both children and parents. Parents did get to find out about the radical poison their kids were being served via remote learning. One of the few pluses of this historic tragedy.

Daily life. The airlines, the travel industry and the entertainment industry have yet to recover. All are shorthanded as help is hard to come by.  There are still shortages of certain food items and basic necessities like baby formula. Gasoline has become needlessly expensive. Another casualty of the 2020 election, which gave us policies that saddled the country with a wide open border and rampant crime. Fentanyl is also coming over the southern border. Should I call it China's second gift to the US?

When will we recover?

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
1  author  Vic Eldred    2 years ago

It did tremendous damage.

Maybe we should get to the bottom of how it happened.

Snuffy
Professor Participates
1.1  Snuffy  replied to  Vic Eldred @1    2 years ago

Unfortunately I don't believe we will ever get the full truth of what and how this happened.  This was politicized right from the start with a lot of evidence destroyed and covered up.  If governments were truly for the benefit of the people we would be able to get to the bottom of this, but unfortunately governments are run by people who will protect their own power.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
1.1.1  author  Vic Eldred  replied to  Snuffy @1.1    2 years ago

The former director of the CDC, Robert Redfield "believes the novel coronavirus originated inside  a lab  in Wuhan, China and “escaped,” and was potentially spreading as early as September 2019."

He also believes that despite those who want to hide it's origins, science will one day reveal the answer.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
1.1.2  Tessylo  replied to  Vic Eldred @1.1.1    2 years ago

Redfield is a trumpturdian ass kisser.

He gave a grand rounds here at the University of Maryland not too too long ago and our Chief Residents tore him apart.  He's not respected.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
1.1.3  author  Vic Eldred  replied to  Tessylo @1.1.2    2 years ago

Oh those leftist Chief Residents can be tough. Did they toss any Molotov cocktails at him?  How about at a Wendys?

Tessylo
Professor Principal
1.1.4  Tessylo  replied to  Vic Eldred @1.1.3    2 years ago

WTF are you blathering on about?

devangelical
Professor Principal
1.1.5  devangelical  replied to  Tessylo @1.1.4    2 years ago

trumpski was advised of the pandemic potential 6 months before he acknowledged it. he allowed passage to the US of infected citizens without benefit of a quarantine period here. he placed the stock market above the population in terms of protection. he fought the advice of the CDC throughout the remainder of his term. he took credit for the vaccine work that was already in process when he was still in denial. he encouraged his sycophants to disregard public health concerns. he victimized leading health authorities by blaming them in an attempt to deflect any personal responsibility for his gross negligence and complete incompetence as a leader.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
1.1.6  Tessylo  replied to  devangelical @1.1.5    2 years ago

Again, the truth!  How refreshing!

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
1.2  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  Vic Eldred @1    2 years ago

Wow.  You really got the attention of the trolls trying to downplay fact with their imagination.  

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
1.2.1  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Jeremy Retired in NC @1.2    2 years ago

Is it my imagination that Woodward taped Trump saying he delayed properly dealing with the virus because he didn't want people to panic?  

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
1.2.2  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @1.2.1    2 years ago

Oooops!  Posted that before I read John's next comment.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
1.3  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Vic Eldred @1    2 years ago

OIP-C.1U92Y-vG9bklW6y28DREuwHaFi?pid=ImgDet&rs=1

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
1.3.1  author  Vic Eldred  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @1.3    2 years ago

That may be a hard sell, don't you think?

Tessylo
Professor Principal
2  Tessylo    2 years ago

#45 allowed it to get to the 'tremendous damage' it did.  While he inside traded with other republican scum, knowing what would happen when the shit hit the fan.  

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
2.1  author  Vic Eldred  replied to  Tessylo @2    2 years ago

Are you a speed reader?

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
2.1.1  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  Vic Eldred @2.1    2 years ago

LMAO.  This one read?  Now that's funny.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
3  Tessylo    2 years ago

[deleted]

Tessylo
Professor Principal
3.1  Tessylo  replied to  Tessylo @3    2 years ago

[deleted]

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
3.1.1  author  Vic Eldred  replied to  Tessylo @3.1    2 years ago

That's why I don't bother.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
3.1.2  Tessylo  replied to  Vic Eldred @3.1.1    2 years ago

You wrote it.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
4  JohnRussell    2 years ago

Donald Trump a hero of the pandemic?  What a strange thought.  

Trump was caught on audio telling Bob Woodward that he was playing down the danger of coronavirus to the public. Why would he do that?  Because he feared a large scale response to covid would hurt his re-election chances. 

Beyond that, Trump promoted quack therapies to fight the disease.  Trump even introduced the far right nut case Mike Lindell at one of his daily covid press conferences, most of which were dedicated to various flunkies saying Trump was doing a great job. 

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
4.1  author  Vic Eldred  replied to  JohnRussell @4    2 years ago

The truth is glaring.

Trump listened to the health "experts" knowing the political cost.

He did what Dr Fauci said was impossible - he got us a vaccine in 10 months.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
4.1.1  Tessylo  replied to  Vic Eldred @4.1    2 years ago

The truth is glaring.  I don't see that here.  Just an alternate reality

No, he didn't listen to the health experts.  

He didn't do dick.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
4.1.2  JohnRussell  replied to  Vic Eldred @4.1    2 years ago
He did what Dr Fauci said was impossible - he got us a vaccine in 10 months.

Really? Is he a scientist now?  He gave the ok, which any president would have done. 

Trump spent most of 2020 trying to minimize covid. That is an objective fact. Of course some people think that was a good thing. 

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
4.1.3  author  Vic Eldred  replied to  Tessylo @4.1.1    2 years ago
I don't see that here.

That's sad.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
4.1.4  author  Vic Eldred  replied to  JohnRussell @4.1.2    2 years ago
Really?

Who else would clear regulations & obstacles?  If we waited for the FDA, we'd still be waiting. He got it done.  That must really suck for Trump haters?

Trump spent most of 2020 trying to minimize covid.

Your POS president had more deaths with all the resources. In short, the media lied as usual.

John, you can be happy now. You finally got rid of him.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
4.1.5  JohnRussell  replied to  Vic Eldred @4.1.4    2 years ago

Athough there are many "conservatives" here who accept Trump as the leader of the Republican Party, you are the only one who actively tries to tell everyone how great he is. 

It's embarrassing. 

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
4.1.6  author  Vic Eldred  replied to  JohnRussell @4.1.5    2 years ago
It's embarrassing. 

What's embarrassing are those who ignore what the country is going through.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
4.1.7  JohnRussell  replied to  Vic Eldred @4.1.6    2 years ago

The entire world went through the effects of covid. Why should the United States be any different? It was/is a once in a century medical event. The people in charge of dealing with it, aka the nation's medical experts, did the best they could. 

I will say Trump had the misfortune to be president when it happened, but if he did such a great job why is his covid reponse cited as one of the reasons he lost the election? People have eyes and ears and saw what happened and heard what he said .

Should nothing bad ever happen to the United States? and if it does is it always the "left's "  fault? 

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
4.1.8  author  Vic Eldred  replied to  JohnRussell @4.1.7    2 years ago
The entire world went through the effects of covid.

I confined this to the US.

The people in charge of dealing with it, aka the nation's medical experts, did the best they could. 

I think that's reasonable to an extent. Birx has recently come clean - she said they overplayed it. Dr Fauci was responsible for shutting down the economy with zero evidence that it would do any good. He may be responsible for a lot more than that. We do intend to find out.

I will say Trump had the misfortune to be president when it happened, but if he did such a great job why is his covid reponse cited as one of the reasons he lost the election?

I did cite the reason. I was very specific. He listened to Fauci and shut down a thriving economy.

Should nothing bad ever happen to the United States?

You should know better than to ask me that question. The Pandemic could have and should have been contained in China. As for the vast majority of "bad things" that have happened to the US since 1968, I lay them squarely at the feet of the American left.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
4.1.9  JohnRussell  replied to  Vic Eldred @4.1.8    2 years ago
Dr Fauci was responsible for shutting down the economy

I believe the governors of the various states were responsible for shutting down businesses , schools , and churches. That is the reason the restrictions went into effect in different places at different times. Some of the governors waited and waited to impose restrictions, so I guess Fauci was not all powerful. 

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
4.1.10  author  Vic Eldred  replied to  JohnRussell @4.1.9    2 years ago
I believe

Most likely, anyone who lost their business or job blamed the President.  Don't forget, the media made sure of that.

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
4.1.11  Jasper2529  replied to  Vic Eldred @4.1.4    2 years ago
You finally got rid of him.

For now! The 2024 election cycle is still far away.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
4.1.12  author  Vic Eldred  replied to  Jasper2529 @4.1.11    2 years ago

I know it sounds far fetched, by I think if it comes down to it, DeSantis will beat Trump in a primary.

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
4.1.13  Jasper2529  replied to  Vic Eldred @4.1.12    2 years ago
I know it sounds far fetched, by I think if it comes down to it, DeSantis will beat Trump in a primary.

He's a strong 2024 contender for the Republican Party. Short List: Open state during the pandemic, strong economy, restrictions on CRT/DEI and strong educational emphasis on STEM, hundreds of thousands from CA, NY, and other blue states relocating to FL.  This is why the left hates him.

So far, the only potential candidates pushed by the Democrat Party are a combination of Marxists/Commies, geriatric aged, youngsters with zero accomplishments, and those who use word salads:  Biden, Harris, Buttigieg, Warren, Bernie, and ... drum roll, please ... AOC. 

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
4.1.14  author  Vic Eldred  replied to  Jasper2529 @4.1.13    2 years ago
  Biden, Harris, Buttigieg, Warren, Bernie, and ... drum roll, please ... AOC. 

None of them are electable and another pandemic won't help them.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
4.1.15  JohnRussell  replied to  Jasper2529 @4.1.13    2 years ago
So far, the only potential candidates pushed by the Democrat Party are a combination of Marxists/Commies, geriatric aged, youngsters with zero accomplishments,

We see how far your reasonableness goes , aka nowhere. 

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
4.1.16  author  Vic Eldred  replied to  JohnRussell @4.1.15    2 years ago

Who will the dems nominate?  That seems to be the big problem.

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
4.1.17  Jasper2529  replied to  Vic Eldred @4.1.14    2 years ago
None of them are electable

True.

and another pandemic won't help them.

Yet blue states and cities are re-instituting mandates so they can prolong the destruction of small businesses and further stunt our young children's educational and psychological development.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
5  Tessylo    2 years ago

It is.  Get back to me when you find some.  Mostly a bunch of made up nonsense.  

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
5.1  author  Vic Eldred  replied to  Tessylo @5    2 years ago
Trump spent most of 2020 trying to minimize covid.

Ok, have a good day.

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
6  Greg Jones    2 years ago

The virus was first observed in Wuhan, China. Wuhan is home to the Wuhan Institute Of Virology.

The lab was studying coronaviruses in bats, which could have included gain-of-function experiments.

It is highly plausible that a virulent new virus created in the lab escaped and spread.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
6.1  author  Vic Eldred  replied to  Greg Jones @6    2 years ago

Do you know why that is such a dangerous story?

The very man who believed in that type or research, despite the risks, may have given the ok to funding.

Wait for it:

That would mean he bears some responsibility for millions of deaths!

Tessylo
Professor Principal
6.1.1  Tessylo  replied to  Vic Eldred @6.1    2 years ago
may have given the ok to funding

He didn't.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
6.1.2  author  Vic Eldred  replied to  Tessylo @6.1.1    2 years ago

The House will be looking into it next year. Perhaps you can appear as a witness for Dr Fauci?

Tessylo
Professor Principal
6.1.3  Tessylo  replied to  Vic Eldred @6.1.2    2 years ago

So moron Rand Paul will make a fool of himself again?

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
6.1.4  author  Vic Eldred  replied to  Tessylo @6.1.3    2 years ago

In the next Congress, Rand Paul is likely to sound a lot like Clarence Darrow.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
6.1.5  Tessylo  replied to  Vic Eldred @6.1.4    2 years ago

jrSmiley_10_smiley_image.gif

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
6.1.6  author  Vic Eldred  replied to  Tessylo @6.1.5    2 years ago

Dr Fauci thinks he's going to quietly retire when Biden leaves.

I have a hunch that the good doctor's troubles have just begun.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
6.1.7  Tessylo  replied to  Vic Eldred @6.1.6    2 years ago

Your hunch is bullshit.

Rand Paul is a fucking moron.

What heroes you have.

Just deflection from your other hero's 'troubles'

jrSmiley_91_smiley_image.gif

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
6.1.8  author  Vic Eldred  replied to  Tessylo @6.1.7    2 years ago

Save that for the two echo chambers

Tessylo
Professor Principal
6.1.9  Tessylo  replied to  Vic Eldred @6.1.8    2 years ago

Isn't that here?

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
6.1.10  author  Vic Eldred  replied to  Tessylo @6.1.9    2 years ago

No. You'll find them full of repetitive backslaps and members that only talk there. At least you have guts.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
6.1.11  Tessylo  replied to  Vic Eldred @6.1.10    2 years ago

That's here.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
6.1.12  author  Vic Eldred  replied to  Tessylo @6.1.11    2 years ago

You have proved otherwise

Tessylo
Professor Principal
6.1.13  Tessylo  replied to  Vic Eldred @6.1.12    2 years ago

Nope.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
6.1.14  author  Vic Eldred  replied to  Tessylo @6.1.13    2 years ago

Didn't you just plow 6 pictures into that echo chjamber?

Tessylo
Professor Principal
6.1.15  Tessylo  replied to  Vic Eldred @6.1.14    2 years ago

I didn't know you had a crush on me.  Why else would you follow me around and know what I post?

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
6.1.17  author  Vic Eldred  replied to  Tessylo @6.1.15    2 years ago

Let's just say that I've never seen you provide a link and let it go. We don't want to get in trouble do we?

Tessylo
Professor Principal
6.1.18  Tessylo  replied to  Vic Eldred @6.1.17    2 years ago

No, I won't leave it at that.  I provide links all the time.  

You're just pretending to be correct for your multitude of 'readers'

Tessylo
Professor Principal
6.2  Tessylo  replied to  Greg Jones @6    2 years ago

Why do you keep spreading that lie about the gain of function?

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
6.2.1  author  Vic Eldred  replied to  Tessylo @6.2    2 years ago
the gain of function?

It's Gain of Function Research.

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
6.2.2  Greg Jones  replied to  Tessylo @6.2    2 years ago

"Why do you keep spreading that lie about the gain of function?"

Educate yourself.

Snuffy
Professor Participates
6.2.3  Snuffy  replied to  Greg Jones @6.2.2    2 years ago

It does no good to try to present information to those who have already stated they won't read links and have already pigeonholed everybody into an us vs them category.  

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
6.2.4  sandy-2021492  replied to  Greg Jones @6.2.2    2 years ago

right041.png?resize=600%2C67&ssl=1 MBFCMixed.png?resize=355%2C131&ssl=1

QUESTIONABLE SOURCE

A questionable source exhibits  one or more   of the following: extreme bias, consistent promotion of propaganda/conspiracies, poor or no sourcing to credible information, a complete lack of transparency, and/or is fake news. Fake News is the  deliberate attempt   to publish hoaxes and/or disinformation for profit or influence ( Learn More ). Sources listed in the Questionable Category  may   be very untrustworthy and should be fact-checked on a per-article basis. Please note sources on this list   are not  considered  fake news  unless specifically written in the reasoning section for that source.  See all Questionable sources.

• Overall, we rate Townhall Right Biased and Questionable based on consistent one-sided reporting that always favors the right and numerous failed fact checks.

Detailed Report

Questionable Reasoning:   Conspiracy, Propaganda, Numerous Failed Fact Checks
Bias Rating:   RIGHT
Factual Reporting:   MIXED
Press Freedom Rank:   MOSTLY FREE
Media Type:   Website
Traffic/Popularity:   High Traffic
MBFC Credibility Rating:   LOW CREDIBILITY

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
6.3  Jasper2529  replied to  Greg Jones @6    2 years ago
included gain-of-function experiments

One name: FAUCI ... tied to NIAID/NIH gain of function research in China and US labs.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
6.3.1  Tessylo  replied to  Jasper2529 @6.3    2 years ago

Not true.

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
6.3.2  Jasper2529  replied to  Tessylo @6.3.1    2 years ago
Not true.

Prove it.

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
6.3.3  Greg Jones  replied to  Tessylo @6.3.1    2 years ago

Prove it!

Tessylo
Professor Principal
6.3.4  Tessylo  replied to  Jasper2529 @6.3.2    2 years ago

No need.  It's not true.

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
6.3.5  Jasper2529  replied to  Tessylo @6.3.4    2 years ago
No need.  It's not true.

I don't see any proof that anything I've said is untrue, which means that you are unable to prove your assertion. Thanks, Tessy; have a good day.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
6.3.6  Tessylo  replied to  Jasper2529 @6.3.5    2 years ago

It's not true.  Are you going to throw up an impasse because I said what you're saying is not true?  

You didn't prove anything.  You made a statement which isn't true.

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
7  Sean Treacy    2 years ago

The “it’s okay to riot” but dangerous to protest lockdowns did untold damage to public health leadership.  

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
7.1  author  Vic Eldred  replied to  Sean Treacy @7    2 years ago

It sounds like something Bill Ayers might be teaching over at the University of Illinois.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
8  Tessylo    2 years ago

296894666_464907375740842_2281223314270972504_n.jpg?stp=dst-jpg_s600x600&_nc_cat=109&ccb=1-7&_nc_sid=8bfeb9&_nc_ohc=b2JQDOaL25YAX_0e5vK&tn=ddyv9WRSVi2y4Anp&_nc_ht=scontent-iad3-1.xx&oh=00_AT-KAfqcr1mBN5Q6vCEiPlJpa43l2qnYDESTDBK3ZzlTUA&oe=62F06602

TᵢG
Professor Principal
9  TᵢG    2 years ago
Then there were the economic consequences. The robust US economy of 2019 was completely shut down in March of 2020 at the suggestion of Dr Anthony Fauci.

Nobody wanted to harm the economy.    Worldwide leaders took actions that collectively compromised the world economy.   Governors and business leaders across the nation as well as individuals concerned about spreading the virus took actions that compromised the domestic economy.   It was a pandemic and leaders were doing their best to stop a very bad situation from growing worse.

Dr. Fauci did not cause the world to shut down the world economy;  this would have happened if Fauci did not even exist.    The reality of the pandemic is true regardless of the opinions of a single man or the entire CDC or WHO.

The shut down was supposed to be for a few weeks, but weeks became months. Small businesses and entry level workers were the first casualties. Some were permanent casualties. In addition the CDC was woefully unprepared and the government had to splurge on masks, ventilators and vaccine research. Multiple $Trillion recovery packages have only led us to 9% inflation and a Recession.

The world was dealing with an emergency and had to learn about the nature of the pandemic in real time.   Odd how some seem to expect that science, worldwide, magically has all the answers.   Research takes time;  development based on the research (engineering and manufacturing) takes time.

The demise of Donald Trump. The shut down of the US economy is arguably the key reason that Donald Trump went from 2019 favorite to be re-elected to the fall guy for the pandemic.

I think you are spot on here.   Trump exacerbated this by trying to talk up the economy.   Not only was he utterly wrong in his soothing words but his downplaying of the pandemic encouraged millions to NOT take the pandemic as seriously as they should have.   

Deep Division: As if we didn't have enough division, Joe Biden further divided the country over vaccination. Those who got vaccinated were good and those who didn't were blamed.

Except for special conditions such as already having immunity, medical incompatibility with the vaccine, etc., it was irresponsible and just plain stupid to NOT get vaccinated.

Partisans would have blamed Biden no matter what he did.   He pushed hard to ensure that every American had free access to the vaccine so that they could protect themselves, family and (in so doing) help protect others.   Yet he is blamed for pushing too hard.   Had he made any mistake in the distribution of the vaccine (or if the process had failed due to unexpected spoilage, resource constraints, etc.) he would have been blamed for not working hard enough.

Joe Biden, who got every vaccine available recently got covid. 

The fact that vaccinated individuals can be infected is well known.   This should not surprise anyone.   Biden is human and interacts with many people.   The vaccines mitigate the infection growing worse and exacerbating the spreading of same ... they do not prevent infection.   The vaccine does not prevent one from being infected since being infected means that the virus is in your body (e.g. in your nasal cavity) but it absolutely enables our immune systems to eliminate the infection and greatly reduces the symptoms in most people.  

Shortly thereafter we heard Dr. Deborah Birx finally, at long last, admit that the vaccines were not as effective as many were led to believe and admitted health officials overplayed it. That admission is a small footnote for our dishonest media.

This is what she actually said: 

Birx:     "If you're across the South and you're in the middle of this wave, what is going to save you is Paxlovid.   But once we get through this wave, during that lull, you should get vaccinated and boosted, because we do believe it will protect you, particularly if you're over 70 .  I knew these vaccines were not going to protect against infection. I think we overplayed the vaccines, and it made people then worry that it's not going to protect against severe disease and hospitalization. It will.  But let's be very clear, 50% of the people who died from the omicron surge were older and vaccinated. Even if you're vaccinated and boosted, if you're unvaccinated, right now, the key is testing and Paxlovid. It's effective, it's a great antiviral. And really it's what's going to save your lives right now if you're over 70." 

During the pandemic and prior to having solid empirical data, lots of people were offering their best advice.   It is no surprise that people offered differing opinions and that some were wrong.    The vaccines are, point of fact, effective at mitigating the effects of the virus.   

Broken families. How many had to choose between income and having one parent stay at home when the Teacher's Union kept schools closed?  The kids lost a year of schooling and there was a psychological cost to both children and parents. Parents did get to find out about the radical poison their kids were being served via remote learning. One of the few pluses of this historic tragedy.

Yeah the pandemic disrupted the world and that disruption has negative consequences.   And if we took no action and continued life as usual, do you expect that the infection rate (and death rate) of the pandemic would be the same, decrease or rise ?

Daily life. The airlines, the travel industry and the entertainment industry have yet to recover. All are shorthanded as help is hard to come by.  There are still shortages of certain food items and basic necessities like baby formula. Gasoline has become needlessly expensive. Another casualty of the 2020 election, which gave us policies that saddled the country with a wide open border and rampant crime. Fentanyl is also coming over the southern border. Should I call it China's second gift to the US?

Again, yes the effects of the pandemic linger.    The pandemic disrupted the world economy.   It caused major supply lines to wither, plants to shut down, etc.   It also caused a reduction in the workforce as many retired.   When we got past the worst, and demand came back, the supply lines were not there and neither was the labor force.   The lack of supply vs. demand triggered inflation.   And, IMO, the inflation coupled with COVID became an excuse for companies (and suppliers in the chain) to raise prices without the usual backlash.

When will we recover?

We are recovering now.   It takes time.   Some conditions, however, will be with us for a very long time.   Inflation will reduce but prices will never get back to pre-pandemic levels.   Employees will continue to return to the job site but many will continue to work at home.   Travel for business will never be the same as businesses now have broken the myth that one must press-flesh to conduct business.   We will rebuild the work force with competent, experienced people because ultimately the trend is fewer jobs for more people.   Our next mega economic problem will be under-employment because AI is taking out higher-level jobs which will NOT be replaced while our population continues to grow.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
9.1  Tessylo  replied to  TᵢG @9    2 years ago

The truth.  How refreshing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
9.2  author  Vic Eldred  replied to  TᵢG @9    2 years ago
Dr. Fauci did not cause the world to shut down the world economy; 

First, Dr Fauci was only giving advise to the US President. Second, not every country chose to shut down.

The world was dealing with an emergency and had to learn about the nature of the pandemic in real time.   Odd how some seem to expect that science, worldwide, magically has all the answers.   Research takes time;  development based on the research (engineering and manufacturing) takes time.

In other words Fauci knew nothing of the economic consequences and very little about the strange pandemic he was giving advise on.

Trump exacerbated this by trying to talk up the economy.  

It's not about talk. It was the shut down.

Except for special conditions such as already having immunity, medical incompatibility with the vaccine, etc., it was irresponsible and just plain stupid to NOT get vaccinated.

Partisans would have blamed Biden no matter what he did.   He pushed hard to ensure that every American had free access to the vaccine so that they could protect themselves, family and (in so doing) help protect others.   Yet he is blamed for pushing too hard.   Had he made any mistake in the distribution of the vaccine (or if the process had failed due to unexpected spoilage, resource constraints, etc.) he would have been blamed for not working hard enough.

Birx finally admitted the truth: "health officials overplayed it."  Don't tell us about Biden pushing hard. He wasn't pushing hard as a candidate!

During the pandemic and prior to having solid empirical data, lots of people were offering their best advice.   It is no surprise that people offered differing opinions and that some were wrong.   

Then why demonize people and take away people's jobs ???

And if we took no action and continued life as usual, do you expect that the infection rate (and death rate) of the pandemic would be the same, decrease or rise ?

I guess we'd have to look at counties like Sweden, who chose a different course, YET ENDED UP IN THE SAME PLACE.

Again, yes the effects of the pandemic linger.    The pandemic disrupted the world economy.   It caused major supply lines to wither, plants to shut down, etc.   It also caused a reduction in the workforce as many retired.   When we got past the worst, and demand came back, the supply lines were not there and neither was the labor force.   The lack of supply vs. demand triggered inflation.   And, IMO, the inflation coupled with COVID became an excuse for companies (and suppliers in the chain) to raise prices without the usual backlash.

Gee, I could have gotten that from the Biden website.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
9.2.1  Tessylo  replied to  Vic Eldred @9.2    2 years ago

That's 'advice'

I'll take TiG's truth over your opinions any day.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
9.2.2  TᵢG  replied to  Vic Eldred @9.2    2 years ago
First, Dr Fauci was only giving advise to the US President. Second, not every country chose to shut down.

You state this as if a rebuttal.   I never suggested Fauci advised the planet nor did I claim every country shut down.   Right off the bat your 'rebuttal' leaps to a strawman.

In other words Fauci knew nothing of the economic consequences and very little about the strange pandemic he was giving advise on.

EVERYBODY on the planet was learning in real time.   And Fauci was not an economic advisor.   His focus (as was the CDC) was on mitigating the spread of the virus.   

It's not about talk. It was the shut down.

Non sequitur and feeble.    Governors in the states and business leaders effected the shut down (as I noted).

Birx finally admitted the truth: "health officials overplayed it."  

And you are just going to blindly focus on those words within a single sentence, exaggerate them to meet your desired meaning, and ignore everything else she said in that quote.    Confirmation bias.

Then why demonize people and take away people's jobs ???

People who refused to get vaccinated and then walked around in the population were being irresponsible (putting others at risk by carrying a potentially large amount of infection) and stupid (not taking precautions to protect themselves from serious symptoms).

Vaccinated people are less likely to be infected and will have reduced levels of infection (and thus less likely to infect others).   That is because their immune system is fighting an infection as soon as it occurs rather than festering within an unvaccinated body.

I guess we'd have to look at counties like Sweden, who chose a different course, YET ENDED UP IN THE SAME PLACE.

Different culture, different circumstances.   Many Swedes voluntarily stayed home and took precautions.  Many Americans did the exact opposite.   

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
9.3  JohnRussell  replied to  TᵢG @9    2 years ago

Vic wants to simultaneously claim that Trump deserves great praise for the development of the vaccine and that the vaccines didnt have much effect and were overplayed by the medical community. 

What else is new?  

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
9.3.1  author  Vic Eldred  replied to  JohnRussell @9.3    2 years ago
Vic wants to simultaneously claim that Trump deserves great praise for the development of the vaccine and that the vaccines didnt have much effect and were overplayed by the medical community.

Both happen to be true.

The main benefit of the vaccines was that you weren't going to get as sick as you would without them.

The new strains seem to be less severe.

Transyferous Rex
Freshman Quiet
10  Transyferous Rex    2 years ago
Joe Biden, who got every vaccine available recently got covid. Shortly thereafter we heard Dr. Deborah Birx finally, at long last, admit that the vaccines were not as effective as many were led to believe and admitted health officials overplayed it. That admission is a small footnote for our dishonest media.

Scary how quickly everyone jumps on board with something. We are apparently seeing an uptick in cases, prompting some local governmental buildings to reinstate the old covid protocols; show proof of vaccination or proof of a negative test within 72 hours, mask up, etc. 

I had to visit a state facility recently, and they wanted me to send them "proof" prior to my visit. Instead, I sent them individual links to our state department of health's weekly updates, all the way back through the first week of April. (would have done more, but surely 14 weeks worth of info should do it)

Point? The state tracks weekly infections and hospitalizations, and breaks those down by fully vaccinated, partially vaccinated and unvaccinated. May not be the same everywhere, but here...the breakdown in percentage of infections and hospitalizations mirrors the vaccination status percentages. Go figure. Yet, our state is still implementing policies that treat vaccinated people as if they are immune. Not only are they not immune, but they are being hospitalized at apparently the same rate as the unvaccinated.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
10.1  Tessylo  replied to  Transyferous Rex @10    2 years ago
Not only are they not immune, but they are being hospitalized at apparently the same rate as the unvaccinated.

Don't believe it.

Citations?

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
10.1.1  Jasper2529  replied to  Tessylo @10.1    2 years ago
Citations?

Pot, meet kettle.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
10.1.2  Tessylo  replied to  Jasper2529 @10.1.1    2 years ago

I provide citations all the time.  T Rex did not.  Sandy did.

You made a statement which you did not back up.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
10.1.3  author  Vic Eldred  replied to  Tessylo @10.1.2    2 years ago
I provide citations all the time. 

Really?  Not in my experience on NT.

T Rex did not. 

Because you didn't

Sandy did.

She usually doesn't venture out into open forums.

You made a statement which you did not back up.

You made a bushel of 'em!

Tessylo
Professor Principal
10.1.4  Tessylo  replied to  Vic Eldred @10.1.3    2 years ago

Your experience has nothing to do with it.  

Why would I provide the citations that T Rex didn't?

I make statements all the time that don't require back up or citations.  

I've wasted far too much time on this 'article' already.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
10.1.5  author  Vic Eldred  replied to  Tessylo @10.1.4    2 years ago

Next time you provide a link, be sure to get my attention

Tessylo
Professor Principal
10.1.6  Tessylo  replied to  Vic Eldred @10.1.5    2 years ago

See post 10.1.4

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
10.1.7  author  Vic Eldred  replied to  Tessylo @10.1.6    2 years ago

Yup, I don't see a link there.

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
10.1.8  Jasper2529  replied to  Tessylo @10.1.2    2 years ago

Internet memes and cartoons aren't citations.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
10.1.9  Tessylo  replied to  Jasper2529 @10.1.8    2 years ago

Those aren't the types of citations that I provide.

Transyferous Rex
Freshman Quiet
10.1.10  Transyferous Rex  replied to  Tessylo @10.1.2    2 years ago

T-Rex provides links. See the info that appears to be constantly on pages 4 and 8 of the following links. Page 4: Vaccination Stats. Page 8: Hospitalization Stats.

Top one is the last report issued, that breaks the hospitalizations up by vaccination status. For some reason, the state stopped breaking it down by vaccination status after that one. My guess is that it is hard to impress upon people a sense of urgency to get a vaccination that was touted as 95% effective in preventing infection and transmission...scratch that, 95% effective in preventing serious illness and hospitalization, when the numbers consistently show that, like the first line of shit sold, the second line of shit is also not supported.

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
10.2  sandy-2021492  replied to  Transyferous Rex @10    2 years ago

The CDC's statistics nationwide do not bear this out.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
10.2.1  Tessylo  replied to  sandy-2021492 @10.2    2 years ago

That's a shocker!  Thanks for providing the stats that he obviously couldn't.

Transyferous Rex
Freshman Quiet
10.2.2  Transyferous Rex  replied to  sandy-2021492 @10.2    2 years ago
The CDC's statistics nationwide do not bear this out.

Never said they did, but actually limited my statement to my location, by stating the following:

May not be the same everywhere, but here...the breakdown in percentage of infections and hospitalizations mirrors the vaccination status percentages.

Feel free to take any concerns you have with the statistics up with persons responsible for putting together the reports I provided links to above.

Transyferous Rex
Freshman Quiet
10.2.3  Transyferous Rex  replied to  sandy-2021492 @10.2    2 years ago

Those are not "nationwide" numbers, but numbers from participating hospitals, from 14 states, as stated at the top of the page:

COVID-NET is a population-based surveillance system that collects data on laboratory-confirmed COVID-19-associated hospitalizations among children and adults through a network of over 250 acute-care hospitals in 14 states.

Dig further in the CDC's site:

COVID-NET comprises 99 counties in the 14 states participating in the Emerging Infections Program (EIP)  and the Influenza Hospitalization Surveillance Project (IHSP). Participating states include: California, Colorado, Connecticut, Georgia, Iowa, Maryland, Michigan, Minnesota, New Mexico, New York, Ohio, Oregon, Tennessee, and Utah. COVID-NET covers approximately 10 percent of the U.S. population. The counties covered are located in all 10 Health and Human Services (HHS) regions . The designated COVID-NET surveillance area is generally similar to the U.S. population by demographics; however, the information might not be generalizable to the entire country.

Don't miss that last bit. 

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
10.3  Jasper2529  replied to  Transyferous Rex @10    2 years ago
Yet, our state is still implementing policies that treat vaccinated people as if they are immune. Not only are they not immune, but they are being hospitalized at apparently the same rate as the unvaccinated.

But ... but ... but ... around a year ago, Biden said Covid was a disease of the UNvaccinated! I really wish he and Fauci would get their lies straight.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
10.3.1  author  Vic Eldred  replied to  Jasper2529 @10.3    2 years ago

Thanks for that reminder and welcome to an open forum.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
10.3.2  Tessylo  replied to  Jasper2529 @10.3    2 years ago

Deflection.

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
10.3.3  Jasper2529  replied to  Tessylo @10.3.2    2 years ago
Deflection.

How can it be a deflection when the video I posted in comment 10.3 exposes Biden's own words? In the real world, that video proves that I am accurate.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
10.3.4  Tessylo  replied to  Jasper2529 @10.3.3    2 years ago

No it doesn't.  Just a deflection.

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
11  Jasper2529    2 years ago
Dr. Deborah Birx

OK ... here we go! The infamous Birx has a new book, Silent Invasion ,  in which she reveals how she and Fauci subverted the Trump administration and the general public regarding Covid ...

Dr. Deborah Birx Admits She Manipulated Data and Altered CDC Guidelines to Deceive President Trump

Birx confessed to manipulating data and quietly altering CDC guidance without the administration’s knowledge or authorization.

In “Silent Invasion,” she discusses how she “devised” a “strategic sleight-of-hand” method of reporting she described as “subterfuge.”

She and then CDC Director Robert Redfield “agreed to quietly rewrite the guidance and post it to the CDC website.”

“We would not seek approval. Because we were both quite busy, it might take a week or two, but we were committed to subverting the dangerous message that limiting testing was the right thing to do,” she writes.

Dr. Birx Admits She And Fauci Made Up ‘The Science’ On Lockdowns, Social Distancing

Birx admitted in her new book that she and Dr. Anthony Fauci were essentially shooting from the hip  when it came to national directives such as "two weeks to stop the spread," and social distancing requirements.

Birx "admitted to making things up," adding that she and Fauci "were lying to the president and to the American people about their COVID protocols."

With the first lie; '15 days to stop the spread' - Birx writes "No sooner had we convinced the Trump administration to implement   our version of the two-week shutdown than I was trying to figure out how to extend it."

Tessylo
Professor Principal
11.1  Tessylo  replied to  Jasper2529 @11    2 years ago

Why are you repeating the same stuff  Vic already posted.  

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
11.1.1  Jasper2529  replied to  Tessylo @11.1    2 years ago
Why are you repeating the same stuff  Vic already posted.  

Please direct me to the specific location(s) where Vic posted the same articles that I did in comment 11 . When you do, I will gladly ask a moderator to delete my comment 11.

Tacos!
Professor Guide
12  Tacos!    2 years ago
The Pandemic And It's Aftermath

Aftermath? What aftermath? It’s killing over 400 Americans every day. Almost 2400 worldwide. Every. Day.

Terrorists killed almost 3,000 people on 9/11 and we remember that shit forever. We pass laws limiting freedom. I can’t walk my wife or daughter to the gate at the airport. If I can get through or I’m the one flying, I have to take off my shoes and my belt, and submit to scans and pat-downs. Every time I pack a laptop computer, TSA breaks into my suitcase to examine it.

And this is forever.

But Covid kills 3000 Americans every week and these assholes are all “nothing to see here - it’s over - and don’t make me wear a mask, you monsters!”

The world is getting more stupid by the hour.