╌>

Middle East Escalation

Category:  Op/Ed

By:  vic-eldred  •  9 months ago  •  118 comments

Middle East Escalation
"Our air defences were able to down an American MQ-9 while it was carrying out hostile surveillance and espionage activities in Yemeni territorial waters as part of American military support" for Israel, the Huthis said in a statement.

Link to Quote: US confirms Huthis shot down American drone off Yemen (yahoo.com)

Yesterday another Iranian backed group, the Houthis shot down a US military surveillance drone off the coast of Yemen. The cost of one of these drones, which could also be armed is $32 million. The question now is what will our leader, the one now called "Genocide Joe," do about it?  When American bases were being attacked, I was at first happy to see a bit of a US response, until I found out our jets were hitting a warehouse in Syria. That response obviously didn't move Iran. Now After the US bases have continued to be attacked the US response was once again the demolishing of another ammo depot in Syria.

What the hell is Joe Biden afraid of? 

Will he not protect American troops and assets?

Meanwhile I'm happy to see that Israeli forces have destroyed 130 tunnel entrances in Gaza. Today's optimistic note.

In other news Subpoenas are on the way for Robert Walker, Hunter Biden and Jim Biden. I hope the House Committee continues with the standard established by the prior House when they prosecuted Peter Navarro for refusing to comply with a subpoena. Homeland Security Chief Mayorkas was again on the hot seat and another committee examined the lack of free speech on American College Campuses.

The RNC held their third debate in historic Hialeah Florida. Sacred ground for me. Ah don't I wish I was able to follow that pilgrimage back in the 1950's

53839af69702197f4099cabc02d2fe37.jpg

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
1  author  Vic Eldred    9 months ago

Good morning

OIP.RIaDzpDlt7BB_raASx7VYQHaJ4?w=198&h=264&c=7&r=0&o=5&pid=1.7

Yesterday was a little unique. I don't think I was ever subjected to so many personal attacks at once. I'm fondest of the one that told me to go back to the 1850's, which was about ten years before many Indian tribes fought for the Confederacy.

I'm wondering how many people still like their eggs sunny side up? I still do. There is a supermarket near me that sells Duck eggs. I tried them the other day. They are perfect for sunny side up. The Duck eggs are much tougher, harder to crack, but the yokes much less likely to break apart. Perfect for that type of breakfast. On the downside someone told me that they are also a bit more fattening than chicken eggs. I just thought I'd pass it along.

Kavika
Professor Principal
1.1  Kavika   replied to  Vic Eldred @1    9 months ago
I'm fondest of the one that told me to go back to the 1850's, which was about ten years before many Indian tribes fought for the Confederacy.

Actually, I say ''go back to bed'' or back to the 1950s or 1850s. You chose the 1850s which was your choice. BTW, five tribes fought for the Confederacy out of over 600. Two of those tribes the Cherokee and Choctaw tribes split on their support of the Confederacy. 

If you going to bring up military service and the Confederacy the vast majority of those in the Confederacy were white.

Another fact that you may not be aware of is that American Indians serve in the military at a higher rate per capita than any other ethnic group. You should have tried it, it may have improved your knowledge of military strategy.

That response obviously didn't move Iran. Now After the US bases have continued to be attacked the US response was once again the demolishing of another ammo depot in Syria.

The strikes against US troops came from Syria, not Iran so common sense would tell you to attack the area that the attacks came from, not Iran. Since you're so willing to attack Iran are you willing to see an all-out war with them? or are you willing to send your kids/grandkids to fight in Iran? Probably not since that isn't your style. 

The goal currently is to keep the Middle East from exploding into and regional war or even beyond that. A direct attack on Iran would create just that. A measured response, as the US is doing is the way to avoid that disaster. 

Cheers

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
1.1.1  author  Vic Eldred  replied to  Kavika @1.1    9 months ago
Another fact that you may not be aware of is that American Indians serve in the military at a higher rate per capita than any other ethnic group.

Actually, I do know that. I happen to credit most of them.

The strikes against US troops came from Syria, not Iran so common sense would tell you to attack the area that the attacks came from, not Iran. Since you're so willing to attack Iran are you willing to see an all-out war with them? or are you willing to send your kids/grandkids to fight in Iran? Probably not since that isn't your style. 

No matter where your president chooses to attack, shouldn't the target be something more substantial than a warehouse? 

I thought you were against putting troops in harm's way as a show of force. If you are not going to defend them take them out of there.

The goal currently is to keep the Middle East from exploding into and regional war or even beyond that.

That is the policy of the administration. An attack on US forces kind of defeats that goal don't you think?

A direct attack on Iran would create just that.

A direct attack on Iran is the last thing Biden or Obama would ever do. 

A measured response, as the US is doing is the way to avoid that disaster. 

Bombing warehouses is hardly a measured response. At some point an American soldier is going to be killed. That is when I want to hear your excuses or maybe another veiled insult.

Kavika
Professor Principal
1.1.2  Kavika   replied to  Vic Eldred @1.1.1    9 months ago
Actually, I do know that. I happen to credit most of them.

No bad you don't credit all of them, since they did do something others didn't do.

No matter where your president chooses to attack, shouldn't the target be something more substantial than a warehouse? 

Not necessarily, depends on what is in the warehouse.

I thought you were against putting troops in harm's way as a show of force. If you are not going to defend them take them out of there.

You thought wrong again.

That is the policy of the administration. An attack on US forces kind of defeats that goal don't you think?

No

A direct attack on Iran is the last think Biden or Obama would ever do. 

Says the Great Karnac.

Bombing warehouses is hardly a measured response. At some point an American soldier is going to be killed. That is when I want to hear your excuses or maybe another veiled insult.

If your response was followed we could be sure that a number of Americans would be killed within minutes. No excuses that would belong to the US administration in power in 1983.

A veiled insult, oh my says the person who tries and fails with his veiled insults. 

Cheers.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
1.1.3  author  Vic Eldred  replied to  Kavika @1.1.2    9 months ago
No bad you don't credit all of them

I always make an exception for you, of course.

Not necessarily, depends on what is in the warehouse.

LMAO. I'm sure there are no Hezbollah fighters in there, nor much ammo since they know where those expensive bombs are going. It almost invites Iran to persist. Don't forget.... People like me will keep pointing to it.

You thought wrong again.

I guess I overestimated you. I thought you understood human nature.

If your response was followed

It was followed when Soleimani was killed. Please note no Americans were killed because Iran understood that the next target would be Ali Khamenei.

Kavika
Professor Principal
1.1.4  Kavika   replied to  Vic Eldred @1.1.3    9 months ago
I always make an exception for you, of course.

Of course you will, flailing away with nothing for experience is the way of some.

LMAO. I'm sure there are no Hezbollah fighters in there, nor much ammo since they know where those expensive bombs are going. It almost invites Iran to persist. Don't forget.... People like me will keep pointing to it.

Yes, people that have no understanding of the military or tactics and deal strictly with a partisan point of view will keep pointing out their own lack of knowledge.

I guess I overestimated you. I thought you understood human nature.

Guess again.

It was followed when Soleimani  was killed. Please note no Americans were killed because Iran understood that the next target would be Ali Khamenei.

Oh there you go again aren't you aware of the Iranian response to that? 

More than 100 U.S. troops diagnosed with brain injuries from Iran attack

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
1.1.5  author  Vic Eldred  replied to  Kavika @1.1.4    9 months ago

And as I said

NO US TROOPS WERE KILLED

Kavika
Professor Principal
1.1.6  Kavika   replied to  Vic Eldred @1.1.5    9 months ago

Yes, I know you did but you also avoided that Iran attacked with ballistic missiles on two US bases to avenge the death of Solameni and your hero, Trump did nothing in return. 

LOL, pretty lame response on your part, 'cause you know those TBIs really aren't much of an injury. /s

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
1.1.7  author  Vic Eldred  replied to  Kavika @1.1.6    9 months ago
Yes, I know you did but you also avoided that Iran attack

They are attacking US bases now ALSO WITH BRAIN INJURIES without any provocation at all.

Your leader is weak. Trump was strong.

Soleimani was widely seen as the second most powerful figure in Iran, behind the Ayatollah Khamenei. The Quds Force, an elite unit of the Iranian Revolutionary Guards, reported directly to the ayatollah and Soleimani was hailed as a heroic national figure.

Tweeting again on Friday, Mr Trump said Soleimani had "killed or badly wounded thousands of Americans... and was plotting to kill many more" and "should have been taken out many years ago".

"While Iran will never be able to properly admit it, Soleimani was both hated and feared within the country," he said.

Qasem Soleimani: US kills top Iranian general in Baghdad air strike - BBC News

Kavika
Professor Principal
1.1.8  Kavika   replied to  Vic Eldred @1.1.7    9 months ago
Your leader is weak. Trump was strong.

Biden is your leader as well unless you want to give up your American Citizenship, Vic. 

If Trump was so strong why didn't retaliate against Iran? was it because he is weak?

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
1.1.9  author  Vic Eldred  replied to  Kavika @1.1.8    9 months ago
Biden is your leader as well unless you want to give up your American Citizenship, Vic. 

I don't think we have reached the point where I have to recognize Biden and his authoritarian regime to maintain my citizenship. I'm sure they are working at making it a requirement.

If Trump was so strong why didn't retaliate against Iran? 

He killed Iran's #2 man and destroyed ISIS.  What has your guy done?

evilone
Professor Guide
1.1.10  evilone  replied to  Kavika @1.1.8    9 months ago
If Trump was so strong why didn't retaliate against Iran? was it because he is weak?

Ahhh yes, Trump the military genius... The guy that wanted to set off nukes in the ME. He's a tough guy.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.1.11  Texan1211  replied to  Vic Eldred @1.1.9    9 months ago

Do you remember hearing similar sentiments when Democrats were screaming at the sky, crying in public, and saying "Not my President"?

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
1.1.12  author  Vic Eldred  replied to  evilone @1.1.10    9 months ago

Well, the proof is in the pudding.

Compare the world under Trump to the world now.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
1.1.13  author  Vic Eldred  replied to  Texan1211 @1.1.11    9 months ago

Oh yes, not only did they cry, they tried for years to overturn the 2016 election.

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Principal
1.1.14  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  Vic Eldred @1.1.9    9 months ago
What has your guy done?

Sat back and ate his pudding while Russia invaded Ukraine and as Hamas bombed Israel.  And here we were all told WW3 would erupt under Trump.

evilone
Professor Guide
1.1.15  evilone  replied to  Vic Eldred @1.1.12    9 months ago
Well, the proof is in the pudding.

You're so far into the partisan weeds here...

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
1.1.16  author  Vic Eldred  replied to  Jeremy Retired in NC @1.1.14    9 months ago
And here we were all told WW3 would erupt under Trump.

How could we forget that!

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
1.1.17  author  Vic Eldred  replied to  evilone @1.1.15    9 months ago

Reality is pro Trump in this case.

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Principal
1.1.18  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  Vic Eldred @1.1.13    9 months ago

Oh, yea, the Democrats Big Lie(s)

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
1.1.19  author  Vic Eldred  replied to  Jeremy Retired in NC @1.1.18    9 months ago

Um-hum. Everything they accused Trump of, they have already done.

All of a sudden its a criminal offense.

Kavika
Professor Principal
1.1.20  Kavika   replied to  Vic Eldred @1.1.9    9 months ago
I don't think we have reached the point where I have to recognize Biden and his authoritarian regime to maintain my citizenship. I'm sure they are working at making it a requirement.

Biden and his authoritarian regime....Can you list the rights you've lost, I know I haven't lost any.

He killed Iran's  #2  man and destroyed ISIS.  What has your guy done?

The killing of Iran's #2 man didn't do anything since Iran is still a power in the ME and is still funding terrorist groups, Hamas/Hezbollah for example. He didn't destroy ISIS who is still operating in many countries and it was the Iraq and Kurds that did that, the Kurds, the one your hero deserted. 

What has your guy done?

He beat your guy, Trump in the 2020 election. 

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Principal
1.1.21  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  Vic Eldred @1.1.19    9 months ago
Um-hum. Everything they accused Trump of, they have already done.

And expect everybody to turn a blind eye to it.

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
1.1.22  Sean Treacy  replied to  Kavika @1.1.20    9 months ago
ran's #2 man didn't do anything since Iran is still a power in the ME a

So that's the standard now. No policy "does anything" unless Iran is no longer a regional power.

Okay. 

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
1.1.23  author  Vic Eldred  replied to  Kavika @1.1.20    9 months ago
Biden and his authoritarian regime....Can you list the rights you've lost, I know I haven't lost any.

Here do some reading:

Under Biden, Americans are not free | The Hill

Kavika
Professor Principal
1.1.24  Kavika   replied to  Sean Treacy @1.1.22    9 months ago
So that's the standard now. No policy "does anything" unless Iran is no longer a regional power. Okay. 

You should stop making shit up and trying to link it to me, Sean. You look foolish.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1.1.25  JohnRussell  replied to  Vic Eldred @1.1.23    9 months ago

Isnt Andy Biggs, the author of that op-ed, the one who first called the Jan 6th rioters "tourists" ? Why should anyone take anything he says seriously ? 

evilone
Professor Guide
1.1.26  evilone  replied to  Vic Eldred @1.1.17    9 months ago
Reality is pro Trump in this case.

His military advisors saved us from his chaos. 

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
1.1.27  Sean Treacy  replied to  Kavika @1.1.24    9 months ago

I'm sorry you don't understand the words you use.  

Why hasn't Biden done anything despite 40 plus attacks on American troops from Iranians proxies?  Iran is still a regional power....

Kavika
Professor Principal
1.1.28  Kavika   replied to  Vic Eldred @1.1.23    9 months ago

An opinion piece from congressman Andy Briggs of the Freedom Caucus, yep that is an unbiased opinion with facts...LOL.../s

When you get some actual facts post them, Vic.

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Principal
1.1.29  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  evilone @1.1.26    9 months ago
His military advisors saved us from his chaos. 

Too bad Biden didn't listed to those advisors when he decided to retreat from Afghanistan killing 13 service members and hundreds of Afghani.

Hallux
PhD Principal
1.1.30  Hallux  replied to  JohnRussell @1.1.25    9 months ago
"tourists"

That did not fly, so now they are called hostages. Soon they will be called Sebastianists.

afrayedknot
Junior Quiet
1.1.31  afrayedknot  replied to  JohnRussell @1.1.25    9 months ago

“Andy Biggs”…?

…’you’re killing me Smalls’…

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
1.1.32  Jasper2529  replied to  Texan1211 @1.1.11    9 months ago

Do you mean on Election Night ...

or those who were still screaming a year later?

Tessylo
Professor Principal
1.1.33  Tessylo  replied to  Kavika @1.1.8    9 months ago

The former 'president' is by no means strong.  He is a cowardly bully piece of shit who incites his followers to do his dirty work for him.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
1.1.34  author  Vic Eldred  replied to  Tessylo @1.1.33    9 months ago

He was the strongest President in your lifetime

Tessylo
Professor Principal
1.1.35  Tessylo  replied to  Vic Eldred @1.1.34    9 months ago

Nyet

No

Not on your life

Just plain NO

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
1.1.36  author  Vic Eldred  replied to  Tessylo @1.1.35    9 months ago

Let's see Russia didn't dare make a move. Iran was starving because of Trump's sanctions. They couldn't do much. China got hit with tariffs, North Korea got the message, we had the Abraham Accords and ISIS was beaten and Soleimani was eliminated.

Now we have the world on fire.

You don't see it, huh?

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
1.1.37  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  Vic Eldred @1.1.36    9 months ago

Of course not. [Deleted]

Transyferous Rex
Freshman Quiet
1.1.38  Transyferous Rex  replied to  Kavika @1.1    9 months ago

Kav, from what I've read, Iran is backing the attacks. 

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
1.1.39  author  Vic Eldred  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @1.1.37    9 months ago

Evidently Genocide Joe's head is up there too because Iranian backed forces continue to attack US bases.

Bombing empty warehouses doesn't seem to deter them.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
1.1.40  Tessylo  replied to  Vic Eldred @1.1.36    9 months ago

Russia?  LOL.  All roads lead to the former 'president' and little putin - Hillary was right about everything, which is why you all hate her so much.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
1.1.41  Tessylo  replied to  Vic Eldred @1.1.36    9 months ago

No, I see fine.  You don't see it, eh?

Drinker of the Wry
Senior Expert
1.1.42  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  Tessylo @1.1.40    9 months ago
Hillary was right about everything,

In 2009, as the new Sec of State, Clinton presented Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov with a mounted red button emblazoned with the word “reset” in English and the Russian word “peregruzka” as she meant to start off on a better foot with the Russians.  The button puzzled Lavrov since the term Team Clinton chose meant “overload”, not “reset”.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
1.1.43  Tessylo  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @1.1.42    9 months ago

So what?

Drinker of the Wry
Senior Expert
1.1.44  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  Tessylo @1.1.43    9 months ago

An example of where she “wasn’t right about everything”.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
1.1.45  Tessylo  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @1.1.44    9 months ago

Obviously you didn't comprehend my comment regarding Hillary and the former 'president'.  

Drinker of the Wry
Senior Expert
1.1.46  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  Tessylo @1.1.45    9 months ago

Yes, that frequently happens with your comments.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
1.1.47  Tessylo  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @1.1.46    9 months ago

No, with your comprehension, or failure thereof.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
1.1.48  Tessylo  replied to  Tessylo @1.1.47    9 months ago

Or lack of?

Right Down the Center
Senior Guide
1.1.49  Right Down the Center  replied to  Tessylo @1.1.35    9 months ago

German — Ja.

Spanish — Sí

French — Oui.

Italian — Si.

Portuguese — Sim.

Swedish — Ja.

Turkish — Evet.

Polish — Tak.

Right Down the Center
Senior Guide
1.1.50  Right Down the Center  replied to  Tessylo @1.1.40    9 months ago
Hillary was right about everything,

jrSmiley_86_smiley_image.gif

Drinker of the Wry
Senior Expert
1.1.51  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  Tessylo @1.1.47    9 months ago

Exactly, you’re too deep for me.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
1.2  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Vic Eldred @1    9 months ago

Ah, when it comes to eggs for breakfast they're included in every breakfast I eat.  I almost always prepare my own breakfasts because my wife prefers a more Chinese diet.  Today it was scrambled eggs, buttered toast with marmalade and jam, cherry tomatoes, a mug of coffee and a glass of orange juice.  I vary the egg recipe among sunny side up, easy over, soft boiled, cheese omelette, ham and cheese omelette (a double sin), French toast now and then, and on Saturdays oatmeal including banana slices, goji berries and 6 little bird eggs, and sometimes pancakes (which include an egg in the mix).  Once in a while my wife makes egg souffle using a big goose egg that includes some goji berries, and on festival days I love to eat tangyuan with at least one egg.  Quite often we use duck eggs, which I like cause they're bigger, but I never soft boil them because it's hard as hell to peel them without blowing it. 

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
1.2.1  author  Vic Eldred  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @1.2    9 months ago
Quite often we use duck eggs, which I like cause they're bigger, but I never soft boil them because it's hard as hell to peel them without blowing it.

I would only use the Duck eggs in the way I described.  I find that adding butter to scrambled eggs gives them a much better taste.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
1.2.2  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Vic Eldred @1.2.1    9 months ago

I'll try using some butter next time I do scrambled eggs.

JBB
Professor Principal
1.2.3  JBB  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @1.2.2    9 months ago

After two generations of being told that lard, butter, cream and bacon grease were deadly to our health Americans have embraced them all again as natural.

Out with the margarine, cooking spray and fake creamers! In with good old FAT!

Everything in moderation, of course...

That is what America is known for /s.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
1.2.4  author  Vic Eldred  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @1.2.2    9 months ago

I recently had the best scrambled eggs I ever had at a Disneyworld restaurant. I wanted to know how they did it. They told me butter was added.

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
1.2.5  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  Vic Eldred @1.2.4    9 months ago

I always cook eggs in butter. Wouldn't have it any other way.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
1.2.6  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  JBB @1.2.3    9 months ago

LOL.  I have to admit I use margarine on my toast, but I use butter for pretty well everything else.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
1.2.7  author  Vic Eldred  replied to  JBB @1.2.3    9 months ago
After two generations of being told that lard, butter, cream and bacon grease were deadly to our health Americans have embraced them all again as natural.

Gee, that's funny, before all those warnings people looked so much healthier.

Freewill
Junior Quiet
1.2.8  Freewill  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @1.2    9 months ago
Quite often we use duck eggs, which I like cause they're bigger,

Have to be careful not to quack them! jrSmiley_82_smiley_image.gif

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
1.2.9  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Freewill @1.2.8    9 months ago

LOL

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
2  JohnRussell    9 months ago

This sort of warmongering belonged on the Republican debate stage last night, where most of the candidates voiced support for launching a military attack on Iranian soil. 

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
2.1  author  Vic Eldred  replied to  JohnRussell @2    9 months ago

We won't have to worry about that with Genocide Joe.  How about doing something to protect our men & women in uniform?

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
2.1.1  JohnRussell  replied to  Vic Eldred @2.1    9 months ago

Just rush in and bomb bomb bomb. That is the right wing way. Does it ever occur to you that we have an entire military that dictates what will be an appropriate response to attacks on our troops? It doesnt happen with the speed you would like because there is a strategy of not escalating the scale of a war based on a few attacks. If a few American troops are killed now, will it be better when hundreds, or more,  are killed when a full blown regional war breaks out in the middle east and we do put troops on the ground? 

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
2.1.2  author  Vic Eldred  replied to  JohnRussell @2.1.1    9 months ago
Does it ever occur to you that we have an entire military that dictates what will be an appropriate response to attacks on our troops?

They don't dictate. LBJ micromanaged the Vietnam War and Obama had rules in effect that had the military waiting for a WH decision on every little response. The last time we let the Generals completely run the war was in WWII.

It doesnt happen with the speed you would like because there is a strategy of not escalating the scale of a war based on a few attacks.

You are talking about the Biden/Obama policy, which is still in bed with Iran.

If a few American troops are killed now, will it be better when hundreds, or more,  are killed when a full blown regional war breaks out in the middle east and we do put troops on the ground? 

We protect the brave men and women who serve the nation. We already have troops on the ground. We must protect them.

Hallux
PhD Principal
2.1.3  Hallux  replied to  Vic Eldred @2.1    9 months ago
How about doing something to protect our men & women in uniform?

Are they not equipped to protect themselves, no guns, no artillery, no airforce, no navy with their carries Ford and Eisenhower each with their collection of support vessels?

A quick count of only those assets in the M.E. known to the general public includes:

9 Naval Bases

17 Air Force Bases

4 Army Bases

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
2.1.4  JohnRussell  replied to  Hallux @2.1.3    9 months ago

The U.S. government , and I assume the military commanders who want to keep their troops safe, do not want to recklessly escalate the situation into all out war in the middle east. Many on the political right think they are wimps. Nothing new there though. 

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Principal
2.1.5  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  JohnRussell @2.1.4    9 months ago
I assume the military commanders who want to keep their troops safe, do not want to recklessly escalate the situation into all out war in the middle east.

They also have to work within the Rules of Engagement.  During a tour in Afghanistan we were conducting night raids on known and suspected Taliban locations.  And were very successful, attacks on coalition forces were very low across the board and we were getting some very good intel from those captured.  During some meeting with Taliban leaders they complained about our operations.  Shortly after, the Rules of Engagement changed to a point that we were on the defense.  If we witnessed an IED being emplaced, we were forbidden to engage unless they shot at us first.  If we come across an "IED Factory" we couldn't do anything.  Just walk away leaving everything in place.

Where do the Rules of Engagement come from?  Some idiot politician who has not been anywhere on the battlefield with no concept of what is / was going on.  And for what?  Some compromise that wouldn't benefit us on ground at all.

So the commanders know exactly what they need to do.  They are restricted by some blithering idiot 3000 miles away.

Hallux
PhD Principal
2.1.6  Hallux  replied to  JohnRussell @2.1.4    9 months ago

The political right are in abject disarray and sunken have to the point of blaming Biden for the very things they would have praised their 'spiritual' leader.

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
2.1.7  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  Jeremy Retired in NC @2.1.5    9 months ago

And THAT is exactly why "winning" is an uphill climb............more like a vertical wall climb. They pulled the same shit in Iraq. Instead of just blowing the hell out of everything and anything, we had to watch our "P's and Q's"

Same sort of thing in Viet Nam. Couldn't bomb capital cities within a certain radius.

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Principal
2.1.8  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @2.1.7    9 months ago

When the Rules of Engagement were changed like that, we saw an immediate increase in Taliban activity and we were attacked more often because they knew our restrictions.

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Principal
3  Jeremy Retired in NC    9 months ago

I don't think it's fear holing Joey back.  I think it's that he really has no idea what is going on.

He won't protect American's here in the US, why would deployed service members be any different?

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
3.1  author  Vic Eldred  replied to  Jeremy Retired in NC @3    9 months ago
He won't protect American's here in the US, why would deployed service members be any different?

Good point.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
4  JohnRussell    9 months ago
The RNC held their third debate in historic Hialeah Florida. Sacred ground for me. Ah don't I wish I was able to follow that pilgrimage back in the 1950's

1950's women, 1950's culture, 1950's race tracks.

You really need someone to invent a time machine. 

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
4.1  author  Vic Eldred  replied to  JohnRussell @4    9 months ago

They did make it a historic site.

jrSmiley_7_smiley_image.png

And don't forget...I still make eggs sunny side up!

JBB
Professor Principal
4.2  JBB  replied to  JohnRussell @4    9 months ago

[removed]

JBB
Professor Principal
5  JBB    9 months ago

This as our President and our nation lead the world in a two front ideological war against Russian expansionism and Islamic extremism during a soaring post-Covid economic recovery?

Even Trump knew better than to start Iran War!

Israel serves just fine as the US proxy in the ME.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
5.1  author  Vic Eldred  replied to  JBB @5    9 months ago

Are you still doing great?

JBB
Professor Principal
5.1.1  JBB  replied to  Vic Eldred @5.1    9 months ago

Wonderful! So sorry you are so unhappy...

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
5.1.2  author  Vic Eldred  replied to  JBB @5.1.1    9 months ago
Wonderful!

But I thought you lived in the Bronx?

JBB
Professor Principal
5.1.3  JBB  replied to  Vic Eldred @5.1.2    9 months ago

What is your misguided point now?

My Bronx neighborhood is beautiful!

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
5.1.4  author  Vic Eldred  replied to  JBB @5.1.3    9 months ago
My Bronx neighborhood is beautiful!

It must be. Enjoy.

JBB
Professor Principal
5.1.5  JBB  replied to  Vic Eldred @5.1.4    9 months ago

I have got Bronx Park, The NY Botanical Gardens, The Bronx Zoo, Orchard Beach, Yankee Stadium, The rejuvenated Bronx River and Arthur Avenue in my hood...

The best Drs and hospitals in the world.

If you ain't been uptown you ain't cool... 

What you got to be so damn proud of?

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
5.1.6  author  Vic Eldred  replied to  JBB @5.1.5    9 months ago
What you got to be so damn proud of?

A lot more than you.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
5.1.7  Texan1211  replied to  JBB @5.1.5    9 months ago

Hey, don't forget that the Bronx has typically MUCH lower gas prices than the rest of the nation, too!

jrSmiley_7_smiley_image.png

Can people in the Bronx pay off their loans by themselves, or do they need a massive taxpayer bailout?

JBB
Professor Principal
5.1.8  JBB  replied to  Vic Eldred @5.1.6    9 months ago

Not if I am happy and you are miserable...

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
5.1.9  author  Vic Eldred  replied to  JBB @5.1.8    9 months ago

I'm not miserable, nor do I believe you're happy.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
5.1.10  Texan1211  replied to  JBB @5.1.5    9 months ago

How many immigrants are currently being housed at taxpayer expense in The Bronx, and how much is all of that costing New Yorkers?

Hallux
PhD Principal
5.1.11  Hallux  replied to  Vic Eldred @5.1.6    9 months ago

I see you have reached the na na nana poo poo level of conversation. One rung at a time Vic ... one rung at a time ... @!@

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
5.1.12  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  Texan1211 @5.1.10    9 months ago

There are some places even illegal "migrants" won't go .................jrSmiley_9_smiley_image.gif

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
5.1.13  author  Vic Eldred  replied to  Hallux @5.1.11    9 months ago

I adopted that from one of our little lefties. She may log in at lunch time.

MrFrost
Professor Expert
5.1.14  MrFrost  replied to  Texan1211 @5.1.10    9 months ago
and how much is all of that costing New Yorkers?

Probably not as much as Florida and Texas spent to send them to NY in the first place. 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
5.1.15  Texan1211  replied to  MrFrost @5.1.14    9 months ago
Probably not as much as Florida and Texas spent to send them to NY in the first place.

I'd take that bet!

Texan1211
Professor Principal
5.1.16  Texan1211  replied to  MrFrost @5.1.14    9 months ago
Probably not as much as Florida and Texas spent to send them to NY in the first place

New York is currently spending about $8 MILLION PER DAY just to house them. Who knows how much other provided services are costing the taxpayers.

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Principal
5.1.17  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  MrFrost @5.1.14    9 months ago
Probably not as much as Florida and Texas

Remember, neither Florida nor Texas invited them.  On the other hand, New York did.  And now they are crying about having to actually step up and do something to back up their promises.  

Tessylo
Professor Principal
5.1.18  Tessylo  replied to  JBB @5.1.5    9 months ago

Nothing, absolutely nothing.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
5.1.19  Tessylo  replied to  Vic Eldred @5.1.13    9 months ago

Apparently not - where is your little leftie?

lol

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
5.1.20  author  Vic Eldred  replied to  Tessylo @5.1.19    9 months ago

What's for lunch?

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
5.1.21  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  Tessylo @5.1.19    9 months ago

Mirror holds your answer.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
5.1.22  Tessylo  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @5.1.21    9 months ago

Those of us who have to work for a living didn't happen to be around as predicted though.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
5.1.23  author  Vic Eldred  replied to  Tessylo @5.1.22    9 months ago

We miss you.

Drinker of the Wry
Senior Expert
5.1.24  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  Tessylo @5.1.22    9 months ago
Those of us who have to work for a living didn't happen to be around as predicted though.

Congrats on finding employment, I’ll that’s a big relief.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
5.1.25  Tessylo  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @5.1.24    9 months ago

My fan club - most of the members are here.

Drinker of the Wry
Senior Expert
5.1.26  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  Tessylo @5.1.25    9 months ago

You’ve got the biggest and the best - you go girl.

Nerm_L
Professor Expert
6  Nerm_L    9 months ago

Deploy troops to a shithole and they'll be shit on.  What did everyone think would happen?

Biden is stuck in the quagmire of shithole politics.  Aircraft carriers aren't going to intimidate goat herders; that's the problem with asymmetric warfare.  And sending in more troops only provides more targets.  Biden's problem is that the expedient big government solution for an insurgent opposition is totalitarian genocide.

Hallux
PhD Principal
6.1  Hallux  replied to  Nerm_L @6    9 months ago
Aircraft carriers aren't going to intimidate goat herders

Their aircraft and guided missiles will. Ever have even an unarmed F-18 fly low over your head unaware that it was about to do so? I can only imagine the feeling of a spanking new A-10 flying the same route.

Nerm_L
Professor Expert
6.1.1  Nerm_L  replied to  Hallux @6.1    9 months ago
Their aircraft and guided missiles will. Ever have even an unarmed F-18 fly low over your head unaware that it was about to do so? I can only imagine the feeling of a spanking new A-10 flying the same route.

So, the rationale behind deploying aircraft carriers is to terrorize sheep herders?  Hamas achieves the same sort of intimidation using sewer pipe and kerosene. 

Ever have a band of masked marauders destroying, burning, and pillaging neighborhoods?  We've experienced that sort of intimidation on US streets in US cities.  That's been sufficient to coerce the US government.  

Drinker of the Wry
Senior Expert
7  Drinker of the Wry    9 months ago
spanking new A-10 flying the same route.

Great close air support craft but none are new.  The last one rolled off of the assembly line about 40 years ago.

Hallux
PhD Principal
7.1  Hallux  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @7    9 months ago

The latest upgraded version came online in 22-23. The one from 40 years ago wouldn't last a minute against the latest:

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
7.1.1  author  Vic Eldred  replied to  Hallux @7.1    9 months ago

They are only good if our enemies think we'll use them.

Kavika
Professor Principal
7.1.2  Kavika   replied to  Hallux @7.1    9 months ago

Oh yeah, those old dogs are the newest attack dogs on the battlefield. Tie the Warthog with the latest version of Spooky (AC 130 J) for close air ground support. 

Drinker of the Wry
Senior Expert
7.1.3  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  Hallux @7.1    9 months ago

Military aircraft and ground combat vehicles are always being upgraded.  The A-10c upgrade started 2006.  The Army loves the aircraft as the AF fights to retire it.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
8  author  Vic Eldred    9 months ago

This just in:

T EL AVIV — Israel will implement four-hour pauses in fighting in parts of the northern  Gaza Strip  each day, White House National Security Council spokesperson John Kirby said on Thursday.

Already, tens of thousands of people have fled from northern Gaza to the south in recent days, taking advantage of battle pauses, the Israeli military has said. Today's agreement means that going forward, an announcement will be made three hours before each pause.

Israel agrees to maintain daily pauses in fighting in northern Gaza, U.S. says (msn.com)

That's Genocide Joe at work.

Thomas
Masters Guide
8.1  Thomas  replied to  Vic Eldred @8    9 months ago

[Removed, do not call members names

Freewill
Junior Quiet
8.2  Freewill  replied to  Vic Eldred @8    9 months ago
T EL AVIV — Israel will implement four-hour pauses in fighting in parts of the northern  Gaza Strip  each day, White House National Security Council spokesperson John Kirby said on Thursday. Already, tens of thousands of people have fled from northern Gaza to the south in recent days, taking advantage of battle pauses, the Israeli military has said. Today's agreement means that going forward, an announcement will be made three hours before each pause.

That sounds like a pretty good compromise to me as long as Israel keeps after Hamas until they are eliminated and removed from any sort of power in Gaza.  It shows that Israel is willing to compromise when it comes to preserving civilian lives, whereas groups like Hamas are not.  Hamas is bent on genocide, not Israel and certainly not the US, even Biden, IMHO.  What am I missing here?

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
8.2.1  author  Vic Eldred  replied to  Freewill @8.2    9 months ago

It would have been nice if Hamas gave something. It's another unilateral compromise by Israel.