╌>

'Teacher of the Year' Quits When Told She's Unqualified

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  community  •  9 years ago  •  29 comments

'Teacher of the Year' Quits When Told She's Unqualified

By Neal Colgrass ,  Newser Staff

Posted Nov 1, 2015 3:30 PM CST

Ann Marie Corgill had taught in Alabama for 21 years

(Newser) – A longtime Alabama educator who's won Teacher of the Year honors resigned this week when her "frustration boiled over" with bureaucracy. Informed that she lacked the state qualifications to teach grade five, Ann Marie Corgill resigned from Birmingham City Schools, NPR reports. "After 21 years of teaching in grades 1-6, I have no answers as to why this is a problem now, so instead of paying more fees, taking more tests and proving once again that I am qualified to teach, I am resigning," she wrote. Corgill, who was 2014-2015 Alabama Teacher of the Year and a 2015 National Teacher of the Year finalist, had begun teaching fifth grade at Oliver Elementary when a state education administrator called and said she lacked the certification to continue, AL.com reports.

This despite Corgill's National Board Certification to teach students between ages 7 and 12, which usually covers fifth grade. "When an inquiry was made, the department reported that her current teaching certificate covers primary grades through Grade 3," says the Alabama Department of Education in a statement. "This does not carry with it a requirement for resignation." As a Title I school, Oliver Elementary receives federal dollars because many of its students are from low-income families; so it requires that all teachers be "highly qualified," a standard Corgill apparently didn't meet, AL.com reports. "When the news came that I was not considered highly qualified, my frustration boiled over," Corgill says. "...[I] will continue to give my life to the profession. Every child I teach and learn from is a part of me. I love them and work to give them my best."

http://www.newser.com/story/215379/teacher-of-the-year-quits-when-told-shes-unqualified.html?utm_source=part&utm_medium=earthlink&utm_campaign=rss_topnews

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Randy
Sophomore Participates
link   seeder  Randy    9 years ago

I would hope that the parents of her students, current and past, won't take this laying down.

screminmimi
Freshman Silent
link   screminmimi    9 years ago

I wonder who they maneuvered her out of the way for.

Cerenkov
Professor Silent
link   Cerenkov  replied to  screminmimi   9 years ago

Bingo.

Randy
Sophomore Participates
link   seeder  Randy  replied to  screminmimi   9 years ago

That's what I was thinking. 'How dare she take up someone else's slot, even though she didn't even know it!'

screminmimi
Freshman Silent
link   screminmimi  replied to  Randy   9 years ago

They actually bumped her to clear up two positions.. the lower level grade she was qualified to teach (when they told her they needed her to teach fifth grade), and then the fifth grade position when they said she wasn't qualified to teach it.

Chances are they got the other two teachers at lower salaries than what she was making and fewer benefits, considering the length of time she has been teaching.

Randy
Sophomore Participates
link   seeder  Randy    9 years ago

And the quality of the teaching in our country slips down just a tiny fraction more on the world scale.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
link   Buzz of the Orient    9 years ago

Just an attempt on the part of the American bureaucracy trying to justify its salary and adding to the dumbing down of America.

J Martin
Freshman Silent
link   J Martin    9 years ago

It's part of the replacement of human relationships with machinery and gizmos.  All good things are threatened by that trend.  People are irrelevant, you know. 

Randy
Sophomore Participates
link   seeder  Randy  replied to  J Martin   9 years ago

I know. HAL told me...

J Martin
Freshman Silent
link   J Martin  replied to  Randy   9 years ago

Just know that I tend at times to use metaphor and analogy, due to a background in poetry writing.  So "machines" may not be literal in my usage all the time. But so-called human institutions often behave precisely like machines -- in that the churn out cold, mechanical "decisions" which don't take human considerations to heart.  Machines, of course, don't have hearts.  And neither do many of our institutions.  Cold, mechanical. Steely ... they are. 

Randy
Sophomore Participates
link   seeder  Randy  replied to  J Martin   9 years ago

Machines, of course, don't have hearts.  And neither do many of our institutions.

Or people, in the poetic sense.

Dean Moriarty
Professor Quiet
link   Dean Moriarty    9 years ago

I don't care if she quit but I'd like to see the Feds stop giving them money. 

Randy
Sophomore Participates
link   seeder  Randy  replied to  Dean Moriarty   9 years ago

Ever the ray of sunshine...

screminmimi
Freshman Silent
link   screminmimi  replied to  Dean Moriarty   9 years ago

If the feds stop giving them money they give up any control over the school system; and they are never, ever, going to do that.

Where the school systems are concerned the states and the feds are in an eternal tug-of-war as to who has the greater control, and as long as federal money... even one dollar of it... is accepted by the states, the feds are on the top.

Randy
Sophomore Participates
link   seeder  Randy  replied to  screminmimi   9 years ago

There is a very strong role for the federal government (though not strong enough) in the education of our children. Without it we'd have nothing but one school teaching one math theory as correct, while another teaches it is not. Locals (unless they have a private school) would be teaching that evolution is false. I WANT the federal government to have an even much stronger role and much more power in our nation's public schools and will vote for candidates that agree with that and against those that don't. We need much more uniformity of teaching and only the Federal government can bring that about and enforce it. It is ridiculous and unfair to the the students that children in one neighborhood have complete computer labs and the very best of teachers, while children poorer neighborhoods do not. ALL children, no matter where they live in America, must be given an exactly equal chance to succeed no matter where they live and the exact tools and strength of teaching to do so. The Department of Education must be brought up even to the equal of the Department of Defense, because well educated citizens are more important then another aircraft carrier group.

Cerenkov
Professor Silent
link   Cerenkov  replied to  Randy   9 years ago

The federal government should have no role in education. 

J Martin
Freshman Silent
link   J Martin    9 years ago

I've repeatedly asked Perrie to help me solve this problem, but not heard back from her. I just keep 

getting individual notifications of every post following mine in any of these threads -- even though I set my settings not to receive these messages.  Am I alone here? 

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
link   Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  J Martin   9 years ago

J Martin,

I don't understand what you mean. Are you getting to many notifications or just not the right ones. 

J Martin
Freshman Silent
link   J Martin  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A.   9 years ago

Hi Perrie -

I changed ALL of my settings, asking for no notifications. The machine says I should not be getting any notifications. But I get an email every time someone posts after me in threads like this one.

Eventually, I may have to drop out of the forum, as I don't really want these in my email box. 

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
link   JohnRussell    9 years ago

Why is this national news ? 

Seriously.

How many bureaucratic snafus are there in every walk of life nowadays ?  Many many many, to say the least. It is the byproduct of complexity. 

All this story does is give the anti-government malcontents some running room. 

J Martin
Freshman Silent
link   J Martin  replied to  JohnRussell   9 years ago

Nothing but snafus. Everywhere. It's the air we breathe. 

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
link   JohnRussell  replied to  J Martin   9 years ago

I am tired tired tired of the anti-government whining on this site. It is almost all we see. Well, except for the anti-Muslim whining.

screminmimi
Freshman Silent
link   screminmimi  replied to  JohnRussell   9 years ago

You have the option not to look at the articles or the comments, John. Exercise that option for those of us who are tired tired tired of your endless complaints about what others post.

Cerenkov
Professor Silent
link   Cerenkov  replied to  JohnRussell   9 years ago

If you left, you wouldn't have to see any of our vile discourse...

screminmimi
Freshman Silent
link   screminmimi  replied to  JohnRussell   9 years ago

Who died and left you in control of what is considered national news, John?

Cerenkov
Professor Silent
link   Cerenkov  replied to  JohnRussell   9 years ago

Once and for all, could you please codify what qualifies as news? We can then disseminate it to all the news outlets in the nation. It could be an important learning moment for them.

Robert in Ohio
Professor Guide
link   Robert in Ohio    9 years ago

I imagine that she could have updated her certification with relative ease rather than resign, but she chose to quit rather than update her license.

Her choice - she made her self a victim (probably a martyr in her mind) rather than meet established requirements

screminmimi
Freshman Silent
link   screminmimi  replied to  Robert in Ohio   9 years ago

instead of paying more fees, taking more tests and proving once again that I am qualified to teach, I am

Perhaps, Robert, she just decided she was tired of the crap and again, perhaps she didn't have the money or the time to spend on the certification right now. Not having walked in her shoes, I wouldn't know.

I do know the school should have known her certification record before transferring her.

Robert in Ohio
Professor Guide
link   Robert in Ohio  replied to  screminmimi   9 years ago

Then I hope she enjoys her new career, whatever it may be

And she should have known what she was licensed to teach and brought it up when the change was contemplated - if the school wanted her in that position they likely would have paid fees/course costs to make it happen.

Personal responsibility is at play here - she made a choice to move on, good for her.