╌>

The War on Delicious

Category:  Wine & Food

Via:  pat-wilson  •  9 years ago  •  14 comments

The War on Delicious

http://time.com/4091457/bacon-cover/

No carbs or no fat? Local or organic? Vegetarian or carnivore?

These and many other questions have been the subject of more than a dozen TIME cover stories over the years, including this week’s look at the latest science about the potential harms of a diet heavy in red and processed meat. ( Read, “The War on Delicious” here. ) Though that diet is, to some, a beloved American tradition—and, to others, merely delicious—it’s more clear than ever that there’s reason to reconsider it. Or, as TIME’s Dec. 18, 1972, cover declared it: “Eating May Not Be Good for You.”

Read the “War on Delicious” and the rest of the Nov. 9 issue of TIME here.

See TIME’s food coverage over the years,  here in the TIME Vault

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

pat wilson
Professor Participates
link   seeder  pat wilson    9 years ago

I couldn't post a direct link to the article. You need a subscription. Which is funny because they started delivering the mag to me in my house mailbox. I never ordered it and they've yet to bill me.

pat wilson
Professor Participates
link   seeder  pat wilson    9 years ago

Here's the good news, you can consume a fair amount of "processed" meat before suffering side effects. 

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
link   JohnRussell    9 years ago

There was a recent article in the news about coffee preventing certain cancers. Now and then there are articles and studies about how it causes cancer. Every few years they go back and forth on whether coffee is healthy or unhealthy for you. 

People who like coffee are going to drink it anyway, what is the point?

They want to sell magazines, newspapers, etc. 

Cerenkov
Professor Silent
link   Cerenkov  replied to  JohnRussell   9 years ago

Excellent comment. Most of these studies show barely significant effects anyway. Almost anything in moderation is fine.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
link   Buzz of the Orient  replied to  JohnRussell   9 years ago

Same thing with bananas - bad, then good, then bad......

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet
link   Dowser    9 years ago

Have you noticed how everything is kale based or avocado based, these days?  I'm so sick of these magazines that advertise recipes and they are all avocado or kale.  A kale milkshake?  I mean REALLY.  EW!!!  Avocado on your burgers, in your desserts, etc.  I thought that avocados were high in fats, and not the good kind.  

I have a constitutional aversion to green paste, nor am I fond of the effects of kale on my innards.  I may as well eat glass slivers.

Last time, it was Cilantro.  Everything was seasoned with Cilantro.  I happen to be part of the 3% of the population that has a genetic thing that makes cilantro taste like dirty feet.  Any time I want to eat dirty feet for dinner, I'll go chew on one of Matthew's socks.

BLECH!

pat wilson
Professor Participates
link   seeder  pat wilson  replied to  Dowser   9 years ago

Kale has a bad effect on a lot of people. And did you know that celery produces nitrates ? Avocado is supposed to be a "good fat". I like it in the form of guacamole or slices on the side.

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet
link   Dowser  replied to  pat wilson   9 years ago

Truly, I'm glad that y'all like it-- because it is everywhere and in everything!  For me, BLECH!

This is one reason why we eat out all the time.  My son is a vegetarian and my husband eats meat and potatoes.  I tried asparagus once, and he nearly had a fit!  I would be cooking two different kinds of meals, and you know?  I'd rather be here on the computer, talking to all of you fine folks...  Party

Cerenkov
Professor Silent
link   Cerenkov  replied to  Dowser   9 years ago

Kale sucks, but I love avocado. 

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
link   Hal A. Lujah  replied to  Dowser   9 years ago
A smoothie without spinach and avacado just doesn't cut it.  Not only is it packed with micronutrients and good fats, but the texture and mouthfeel they add turns the smoothie into something more like a milkshake.  Yes, they're green, but add in fruits, nuts, oats and turmeric and the color becomes much more paletable. Avacado and spinach add almost nothing In terms of flavor. Not crazy about kale, but salted kale chips are good.

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
link   Bob Nelson    9 years ago

I am so-o-o-o-o-o tired of headlines about "The War on Whatever".... Until lots of people are dying, the word "war" is not appropriate.

As for diet... Here's a novel idea: Balanced, in moderate volume.

Duh.

And for you avocado-haters: Put some pesto in a half of an avocado. Great appetizer!

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet
link   Dowser  replied to  Bob Nelson   9 years ago

I'm sorry BF-- to me, it is just green goop that tastes funny...

Enoch
Masters Quiet
link   Enoch    9 years ago

Dear Friend Pat Wilson: Yesterday Mrs. E. and I picked up a father son set of neighbors. The father and I were former business partners and are life long friends. Our sons and daughters grew up together. Each of our homes were jointly their homes. Our sons were best men at each others weddings. Our daughters maid of honor at their weddings. The father and I signed as witnesses the Star Ketubah (Marital contract - oldest known women's rights document on the planet) as witnesses for each others offspring.

The four of us drove four counties south and east to meet my son and grandson at a lakeside Heuringer. The occasion is my son's birthday. It is five star restaurant on the shores of a finger lake. It features foods from Austria and Central Europe.

I understand their meats, dairy fish and other such dishes are outstanding.

All of us eat Vegan. This is in part because all of us are vegan, or at least mostly lean that way. They featured salads, fresh baked whole grain breads, fresh made soups, plates of fresh cooked and served hot or chilled veggie combos.

The desserts and coffees (fresh roasted and ground on site) are the most fun you can have still wearing clothes.

I got as my main course braised eggplant in extra virgin olive oil and garlic. My sides were black forest mushrooms in dill sauce, and a beet salad with onions, walnuts, diced fresh picked apples and fresh ground horseradish.

The food was top notch. Perfect birthday fare. We know the owners. Mike (the other father) and I helped fund this venture 19 years ago. We lent money and co-signed bank notes to get the couple started.

As our good friends Bob Nelson and Cerenkov correctly state, most anything in moderation is fine.

The best part of fine dining is the company. Never any adverse health concerns there.  

Eating isn't only about ingesting nutrients for cell replacement and energy. It is that. But so much more.

Meal time is bonding time. It is as much if not more a social as a nutritional event

Mrs. E. played 1,2,3,4,: Now we are having a thumb war game with our grandson. His giggling brightened up the entire dining room. Complete strangers had a better time just listening to our lad laugh.

The owners and executive Chef came out at dessert time and served a death by chocolate Dobishe torte shaped like a soccer ball. Anything that delectable should be against the law!

We sang Happy Birthday in English, Hebrew, German, Austrian, Polish, Yiddish and Ladino.

The owners joked that they wouldn't serve a cake with candles on it at my forthcoming birthday this 11/17. That many candles constitute a fire hazard!

Mike, who is my age reminded them that we can always call in 100% of our loans over jokes like that. LOL.

The point of my rant is that as our good friends Buzz, John Russell, Dowser, Cerenkov and Pat Wilson accurately point out food trends and research come and go. They don't always agree on what to do.  

A large part of the joy of eating is the company with whom we dine. That nourishes the soul, and elevates the spirit.

This is consistently good for the health, emotional and spiritual.

La Breeuut.To your health.

E.