╌>

Large Majority Of Americans Now Believe That Mass Shootings Are A Permanent Part Of American Life

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  johnrussell  •  9 years ago  •  15 comments

Large Majority Of Americans Now Believe That Mass Shootings Are A Permanent Part Of American Life

http://www.nbcnews.com/meet-the-press/poll-71-say-shooting-violence-now-normal-part-american-life-n479601

A whopping 71 percent of Americans believe that the shootings and random acts of violence that have taken place this year are now a permanent part of American life, according to results from a new national NBC News/Wall Street Journal poll.

That's compared with just 21 percent of Americans who think the violence this year -- from  Charleston, S.C. , and  Oregon , to the terrorist shootings in  San Bernardino, Calif . -- has been unusual and won't happen as often in the future.

The NBC/WSJ poll also finds 29 percent of Americans saying they're either "very" or "fairly" worried that they or a loved one will be the victim of a terrorist attack -- up from the 28 percent who said this in Sept. 2001 after the 9/11 terrorist attacks.

Seventy percent, however, say they're not worried or are only slightly worried about this happening.

By comparison, 32 percent say they're worried that they or a loved one will be the victim of gun violence, versus 67 percent who aren't as worried.

The NBC/WSJ poll was conducted Dec. 6-9 of 1,000 adults (nearly 400 reached by cell phone), and it has an overall margin of error of plus-minus 3.1 percentage points.  

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
link   seeder  JohnRussell    9 years ago

RED BOX RULES - OFF TOPIC COMMENTS ARE SUBJECT TO DELETION AT THE DISCRETION OF THE SEEDER

Dean Moriarty
Professor Quiet
link   Dean Moriarty    9 years ago

The smart ones knew it after the Saint Valentines day massacre. I'm not worried about it the media sensationalism only affects the ignorant. 

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
link   seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  Dean Moriarty   9 years ago

I am pretty sure that the first modern mass shooting was Charles Whitman in Austin in 1966.

Statistics show they have increased considerably in recent years. 

Dean Moriarty
Professor Quiet
link   Dean Moriarty  replied to  JohnRussell   9 years ago

It reminds me of the people freaking out over ebola. Any idea what the odds of being killed by a mass murderer are?

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
link   seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  Dean Moriarty   9 years ago

I am not afraid of being killed or shot by a random madman , or a domestic terrorist. Neither am I afraid of being killed by Muslims. 

We have a constant drumbeat about Muslims and almost no drumbeat about other mass shootings. That is my interest in this story. 

Dean Moriarty
Professor Quiet
link   Dean Moriarty  replied to  JohnRussell   9 years ago

Every time I saw one posted about shootings in Chicago the murder capital of the country you say theres nothing to see here move along people. 

Jim Cassity
Freshman Silent
link   Jim Cassity  replied to  JohnRussell   9 years ago

That is actually incorrect one of the first documented mass shootings in the U.S. was on Labor Day 1949 in Camden, New Jersey.  Howard Unruh and his "Walk of Death" murdered 13 people and wounded 3 others with a German Luger P08 9mm pistol. 

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
link   seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  Jim Cassity   9 years ago

That is actually incorrect one of the first documented mass shootings in the U.S. was on Labor Day 1949 in Camden, New Jersey.  Howard Unruh and his "Walk of Death" murdered 13 people and wounded 3 others with a German Luger P08 9mm pistol. 

OK.

Petey Coober
Freshman Silent
link   Petey Coober  replied to  JohnRussell   9 years ago

Statistics show they have increased considerably in recent years.

Do you have any statistics to show or are you just talking through your hat ?

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
link   seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  Petey Coober   9 years ago

In the first 7 years of this chart there were 59 mass shootings total. In the last 7 years there were 101 . That is a 71% increase. 

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
link   seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  JohnRussell   9 years ago

It is a shame this site will not allow copy and paste of these things. 

Here is in toto

Nowhere Man
Junior Guide
link   Nowhere Man  replied to  JohnRussell   9 years ago

See my links below for a much more accurate representation of reality than the biased reporting from the link above.

Nowhere Man
Junior Guide
link   Nowhere Man    9 years ago

Werll that may be what people are beginning to believe .f you believe the media reporting of it that is.

but I get my data from many sources. one of which is this one...

The Crime Prevention Research Center

Which give us data backed statements of the accuracy of such claptrap being touted by government and media...

In answer to all that want to claim that the US is the most violent gun killing nation on the planet....

(or any other type of greatest killer)

I give you real data....

Comparing Death Rates from Mass Public Shootings and Mass Public Violence in the US and Europe

Read it and weep guys, comparing the data collected and using scientific principles to analyze it makes one huge difference in the conclusions you come to.

Sorry that it doesn't fit the liberal US is the deadliest nation on the planet mantra.

Petey Coober
Freshman Silent
link   Petey Coober  replied to  Nowhere Man   9 years ago

Good link . Thanks ...