╌>

Thumbs Down to the Snowflakes

Category:  meta

Via:  chi-town-funk  •  8 years ago  •  117 comments

Thumbs Down to the Snowflakes

Meta on this topic seems to have erupted on a members article, hopefully this will move the discussion to an appropriate outlet.

Many of you have noticed that the Site Mommy has removed the thumbs down feature after an outpouring of whining by a few members here. No need to call them out by name because one only needs to read their tantrumesque responses on the forum each and every time they received one of these hurtful notices of disapproval.

It's clear the internet isn't for everyone. There have always been those hypersensitive few who demand that all communication meet their preconceived criteria for safe communication. These are the same thin skinned few demanding safe spaces, the elimination of trigger words and various other politically correct guerrilla demands. Almost always their outrage develops into a significantly more aggressive behavior than the environment they choose to crusade against.

It's ridiculous that adults cannot have a thumbs down feature on this site. 

The few should be proud!

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
link   Sean Treacy    8 years ago

Thumbs down to the removal. 

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
link   Perrie Halpern R.A.    8 years ago

Sean,

Did you read my comment at all? I kind of expected more from someone who expresses himself well on the site. 

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
link   JohnRussell    8 years ago

I think the thumbs downers who are so distraught this morning  need a nickname too.  I like MUD HENS.

th?&id=OIP.M445d1d8adbc650b4e287508681a10ca9o0&w=300&h=240&c=0&pid=1.9&rs=0&p=0&r=0

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
link   Buzz of the Orient  replied to  JohnRussell   8 years ago

Black ducks lives matter.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
link   Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Buzz of the Orient   8 years ago

Buzz,

You get:

Image result for toy ducks

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
link   Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A.   8 years ago

??? can't open it

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet
link   Dowser  replied to  Buzz of the Orient   8 years ago

4 yellow bath tub ducks in a row...  Sorry, I should have answered sooner.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
link   Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  JohnRussell   8 years ago

I don't understand John. 

Spikegary
Junior Quiet
link   Spikegary  replied to  JohnRussell   8 years ago

So, an insult to all the people who disagree with this move?  That's what you bring to the table? 

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
link   Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Spikegary   8 years ago

Gary

Can you explain to me John's comment?

Kavika
Professor Principal
link   Kavika     8 years ago

Spike one side calls the other ''snowflakes'', so it would seem fair that they should have a name as well.

Fairs fair and all that.

Uncle Bruce
Professor Quiet
link   Uncle Bruce    8 years ago

Snowflakes.  HAHA!  We have become a nation of Nancies!

Cerenkov
Professor Silent
link   Cerenkov  replied to  Uncle Bruce   8 years ago

Nancies, snowflakes, progressives... It all means the same thing.

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide
link   A. Macarthur  replied to  Cerenkov   8 years ago

Nancies, snowflakes, progressives... It all means the same thing.

You actually believe that we're all wussies, do ya'? That's some badass signifyin' …

Cerenkov
Professor Silent
link   Cerenkov  replied to  A. Macarthur   8 years ago

Trigger Warning!

It seems that way by the policies you promote.

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide

Trigger Warning!

Meaning what?

It seems that way by the policies you promote.

You know, as a younger man, I met a lot of progressives where I spent much of my time … I honestly can't recall one of them fitting that "nancie" thing …

… 'course, that place is a furniture store now, so maybe, there's a nancie or two these days.

th.jpg

Times change.

Is that "trigger" business a reference to a fire arm?

Cerenkov
Professor Silent
link   Cerenkov  replied to  A. Macarthur   8 years ago

No, a "trigger warning" is a warning promoted by progressives so that they can avoid scary or uncomfortableuncomfortable thoughts or discourse. It's becoming popular on liberal campuses.

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide

No, a "trigger warning" is a warning promoted by progressives so that they can avoid scary or uncomfortable thoughts or discourse. It's becoming popular on liberal campuses.

That's a new one on me; I'll watch for it in the future … 

PJ
Masters Quiet
link   PJ  replied to  A. Macarthur   8 years ago

Yep he and his buddies do.  This right against the left and vice versa is becoming tiresome.  Might be time to fade away........

Cerenkov
Professor Silent
link   Cerenkov  replied to  PJ   8 years ago

It's better to burn out...

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
link   Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Cerenkov   8 years ago

Actually I have to disagree with you Cerenkov. This is an adult discussion site. So many of these have closed down because of this kind of behavior. Make a point.. add to the discussion, otherwise it is a destructive behavior to the site. I don't mind what anyone's POV is, so long as they make one. 

Cerenkov
Professor Silent
link   Cerenkov  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A.   8 years ago

It was a joke:

It's better to burn out than to fade away.

Neil Young

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
link   Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Cerenkov   8 years ago

Opps, the post came out in the wrong place. Sorry. I got the song, LOL. 

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
link   Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  PJ   8 years ago

PJ, sticks and stones.... 

You are made of tougher stuff. 

1ofmany
Sophomore Silent
link   1ofmany  replied to  PJ   8 years ago

Yep he and his buddies do.  This right against the left and vice versa is becoming tiresome.  Might be time to fade away........

I used to spar. We would beat the snot out of each other and then go and get something to eat. There were never any hard feelings. Sparring women was more difficult because they'd get mad if you hit them too hard. Mostly they wanted to hit but not get hit back and they hated losing. Don't be mad. I like you and hope you stay. 

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide
link   A. Macarthur  replied to  PJ   8 years ago

sixpick
Professor Quiet
link   sixpick    8 years ago

Personally I could do without the thumbs up and the thumbs down.  I think people almost feel obligated to give others who give them thumbs up a thumbs up as well.  I know I give some people thumbs up almost all the time unless they've really made a comment I may think is really out of line in one way or another. 

I've never given anyone a thumbs down intentionally.  And I give everyone a thumbs up if they comment on an article I've put up whether I agree with them or not, just for participating in the article, plus it helps me keep up with all the comments and know which ones I haven't read.  Now on some articles I put up and don't go back to may not have everyone marked, but if I look back at an article, I click the thumbs up.

I don't think thumbs up or down are a good thing.  I can understand how others may feel and it really doesn't matter to me however it is handled.  In all honesty, I read an article and the comments.  If I see something that motivates me to say something, then I make a comment or reply to someone else comment.  Then I give all my friends a thumbs up.  Well maybe not all my friends.... but I bet I'm not the only one who does that.

I think all this bickering back and forth has turned this site into rowdy classroom of children.  I mean someone coming on this site who does not know our individual personalities and seeing all these comments for the first time must think we're a bunch of nuts. Don't get me wrong.  I'm one of the biggest nuts here at times, but it must be a shock for someone coming from a site where people may disagree, but don't turn the articles into internet barroom brawls.

But even that I understand.  Let's be honest.  We just like to fuss and fuss and fuss, don't we?  I'd like to have some new avatars to fuss with, wouldn't you?  I don't mean I would like to see any that are already here disappear, but some additional ones to discuss or fuss with about the articles or whatever they evolve into like the one I put up that had 244 comments the last time I looked and about 95% of them didn't have a thing to do with the article, just a fuss fest.  Try to say that fast.

I'd like to see some of the members actually writing some articles on their own instead of just looking for the most antagonistic article they can find.  We could use information from other articles on the internet or wherever we can find information and put the links to them as references.  Would that not do?  Then it would be more personal coming from our interpretation of the various references rather than putting something up and seeing if it sticks.

During the meantime here is a video that is better viewed on full screen....

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide
link   A. Macarthur  replied to  sixpick   8 years ago

Deep!

1stwarrior
Professor Participates
link   1stwarrior  replied to  sixpick   8 years ago

Don't remember seeing this cave when I was in Dong Ha in '67.  Coulda missed it though.

Kavika
Professor Principal
link   Kavika     8 years ago

Here is my take on the thumbs up/down...I don't care if someone gives me a thumbs down and doesn't bother to explain it, or debate my comment. I look at it as someone that doesn't have the skills to put together a coherent thought. In other words, a person that gives a thumbs down just to be an asshole, or their response is a one line insult. Always consider the source of the thumbs down or one liner. You'll find it is the same few again and again. Proving they have nothing of value to add to the conversation.

That's why I could care less about it...

And as Six said, I would like to see new members join NT. I don't believe that is going to happen unless there is a change in the conversations.  

I believe that NT is a discussion site. I rarely see a discussion take place here. Mostly it's who can one up the other person. That is what destroys a discussion site, sadly it seems that is the direction that NT is headed in.

PJ
Masters Quiet
link   PJ  replied to  Kavika   8 years ago

Happy Sunday Kavika.  I agree with both you and Six (although I think I'm part of the problem). blushing   I'm rethinking my role and participation because I'm tired of the constant right and the left line in the sand.  It's depressing that there can't be any compromise.  Just doesn't make any sense to me.....

Anyhow, on a positive note, my eldest son is coming to visit us today with his fiancee.  We made plans to go to the Renaissance festival with them.  Honestly, I'm just looking forward to spending time with my son.  He's so busy with his school and apprenticeship that we only see him a handful of times a year and that's not nearly as much as I'd like. 

Kavika
Professor Principal
link   Kavika   replied to  PJ   8 years ago

Happy Sunday to you Pj...Enjoy the time with your son and have a great day.