George Michael, Pop Superstar, Has Died at 53

Category:  Entertainment

Via:  johnrussell  •  8 years ago  •  7 comments

www.nytimes.com

nytimes.com

By  Jon Pareles | Dec. 25th, 2016

George Michael, the creamy-voiced English songwriter who sold tens of millions of albums as a member of the duo Wham! and on his own, was found dead on Sunday at his home in Goring in Oxfordshire, England. He was 53.

A police statement said: “Thames Valley Police were called to a property in Goring-on-Thames shortly before 2 p.m. Christmas Day. Sadly, a 53-year-old man was confirmed deceased at the scene. At this stage the death is being treated as unexplained but not suspicious.”

Mr. Michael’s manager,  Michael Lippman, told The Hollywood Reporter that Mr. Michael had died of heart failure “in bed, lying peacefully.”

“It is with great sadness that we can confirm our beloved son, brother and friend George passed away peacefully at home over the Christmas period,” his publicist Connie Filippello said in a statement. “The family would ask that their privacy be respected at this difficult and emotional time. There will be no further comment at this stage.”

26Michael1-obit-master675.jpg

Mr. Michael onstage in Bratislava, Slovakia, on a 2007 European tour.   Samuel Kubani/Agence France-Presse — Getty Images

Information on survivors was not immediately available.

Mr. Michael was one of pop’s reigning stars in the 1980s and ’90s — first as a handsome, smiling teen-pop idol making lighthearted singles like “Wake Me Up Before You Go-Go”  with Wham!, then arriving as a grown-up pop sex symbol with his 1987 album “Faith.”

But Mr. Michael grew increasingly uncomfortable with the superficiality and relentless promotion of 1980s-style pop stardom. He turned away from video clips and live shows; he set out to make more mature statements in his songs, though he never completely abandoned singing about love and desire.

Mr. Michael wrote supple ballads, like “Careless Whisper” and “Father Figure,” as well as buoyant dance tracks like  “Freedom ’90”  and  “I Want Your Sex.”  For much of his career, including his best-selling albums “Faith” and “Listen Without Prejudice Vol. 1,” he was also his own producer and studio backup band. Much of his music drew on R&B, old and new, but his melodic gift extended across genres.

He won a  Grammy Award  in 1988 for “I Knew You Were Waiting (for Me),” a duet with Aretha Franklin, and “Faith” won the Grammy for album of the year. In Britain, he was showered with awards, and in 2004, Britain’s Radio Academy said he had been the  most-played performer  on British radio from 1984 to 2004.

26MICHAEL2-obit-blog427.jpg

Mr. Michael performing solo at Madison Square Garden in 1988. He later turned away from live shows.   Ebet Roberts

In 1998, Mr. Michael came out as gay after being arrested on charges of lewd conduct in a men’s room in Beverly Hills, Calif. He had long lent his name and music to support AIDS prevention and gay rights. During interviews in later years, he described himself as bisexual, and said that hiding his sexuality had made him feel “fraudulent.” He also described long struggles with depression.

During the 2000s, Mr. Michael’s output slowed; his last studio album of new songs was “Patience” in 2004. In later years he put out individual songs as free downloads, encouraging listeners to contribute to charity. But in 2006, 25 years into his career, he could still headline stadiums worldwide.

George Michael was born Georgios Kyriacos Panayiotou in East Finchley, London, on June 25, 1963, the son of a Greek Cypriot restaurateur and an English dancer. In 1979, he and a schoolmate, Andrew Ridgeley, played together for the first time in a ska band called the Executive. That didn’t last, but they continued to make music together — nearly all of it composed and sung by Mr. Michael — and began releasing singles as Wham!, cultivating the image of carefree teenage rebels in songs like “Young Guns (Go for It!).”

Their 1983 debut album, “Fantastic,” reached No. 1 in Britain; in the United States, their 1984 single “Wake Me Up Before You Go-Go” became ubiquitous on MTV and reached No. 1. In 1985, the duo became the first major Western pop group to perform in China as part of its world tour, and Mr. Michael appeared at the Live Aid charity concert, telecast worldwide, joining Elton John to sing Mr. John’s song “Don’t Let the Sun Go Down on Me.”

26MICHAELS3-obit-master675.jpg

Mr. Michael became one of pop’s reigning stars in the 1980s in Wham!   Ian Dickson/Redferns

The worldwide 1984 hit “Careless Whisper,” credited in Britain to George Michael solo and to Wham! featuring George Michael in the United States, signaled a turn away from perky teenage fare. Mr. Michael’s status as a top British pop star was confirmed by his appearance on Band Aid’s “Do They Know It’s Christmas?,” the 1984 all-star benefit single for Ethiopian famine relief.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
link   seeder  JohnRussell    8 years ago

One of the greatest singers in pop music history.   

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
link   Perrie Halpern R.A.    8 years ago

Very sad. He was so young. At least he leaves his legacy of music behind. 

sixpick
Professor Quiet
link   sixpick    8 years ago

Yes he was a real talent and being his own producer and studio backup band was a extra talent!

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
link   seeder  JohnRussell    8 years ago

I wasnt a huge fan of a lot of Michaels songs, other than the two I posted here, but this guy was just a great singer. One of the best voices ever. 

sixpick
Professor Quiet
link   sixpick  replied to  JohnRussell   8 years ago

I always like Steve Perry's voice and KD Lang as well.

Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom
Professor Guide
link   Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom    8 years ago

I was hoping this was one of those fake death reports.  I'm sad to learn that it's the real deal.  In addition to his talent, he is the man who put stubble on the map.

On a somewhat related note, John, you just surprised the shit out of me with your fondness for George Michael's music, even it it's only a song or two.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
link   seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom   8 years ago

I was no fan, never owned any of his records. Through You Tube I heard some of his performances. I came around to the opinion that he was a great singer and I believe he has shown up in polls about the greatest male singers ever.