╌>

Fragile Internet Racists In Turmoil Over Black Lady Liberty Coin

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  johnrussell  •  7 years ago  •  40 comments

January 14, 2017 - 12:30pm

That image is very disturbing. I wish you'd have chosen something else. I realize that it's a shameful part of American history that we should never forget, but it's too much.

That image is very disturbing. I wish you’d have chosen something else. I realize that it’s a shameful part of American history that we should never forget, but it’s too much.

Earlier today, the U.S. Mint announced that, for the first time,  a woman of color would be depicted as Lady Liberty  on a piece of currency — a $100 coin. While it doesn’t do much to take the sting out of having Donald Trump as president, it’s still a really pretty coin, even if you probably cannot spend it anywhere.

Of course, as we all know, there are a lot of racist white people out there who are  incredibly sensitive  about fictional characters they believe are white being portrayed as people of color. You may recall the time Megyn Kelly felt the need to assure all the children that  Santa Claus was white.

Oh yeah, can’t wait for her to join  NBC!  What a catch!

You may also recall the time  internet racists lost it  over Hermione Granger being played by a black actress in the London stage production of “Harry Potter and the Cursed Child,” and then got even more mad when J.K. Rowling said she never specified what Hermione’s race was. Or the time they got mad because they found out the character  Rue in Hunger Games  was black all along.

Keeping with tradition, many internet racists  are now deeply upset  by the portrayal of “Lady Liberty” as a black woman on a coin. Like this lady who didn’t understand how Lady Liberty could be black when she was a gift from the French and therefore WHITE. You know, because there are not any black French people?

Beverly Hills surgeon explains at home fix for crepey skin around the arms, legs, and stomach.

The original female personification of America, by the way, was Columbia, who — though generally portrayed as white, because racism — was depicted differently all the time, depending on the artist drawing her. I’m not sure why we can’t do the same for “Lady Liberty.”

Naturally, lots of them thought that this was somehow part of some kind of plot by the Obama administration, despite the fact that the President has nothing to do with who appears on a freaking coin. You’d think these patriots would know that, but ALAS!

In fact, one of them even wrote a whole entire article for conservative website “Freedom Daily” on the subject.

I really like how the title makes it seem like he waltzed over to Ellis Island, reached up under the Statue of Liberty’s stone skirt and grabbed her by the pussy. But that seems a little bit more like our new president than our current one, no?

Freedom Daily’s Prissy Holly  (no, really) writes:

And re-writing our history is exactly what Obama’s doing. In a brazen final move to change our history, Obama is taking one of America’s most cherished and honored national symbols, with Lady Liberty getting a whole new makeover where she will now be inaccurately portrayed as an African American woman. […]

Seriously Obama? Just because you hate white Americans does not mean that you can just rewrite history by changing one of our most iconic symbols so it represents the race of people you continually place over everyone else. What’s next? Are we going to change the quarters so George Washington’s image is of a black man?

Once again, the president doesn’t decide who or what is on coins. If that were the case, Reagan probably would have made one featuring jelly beans. Also, the difference between “Lady Liberty” and George Washington is that George Washington was a real person. Though frankly, I would be cool with replacing him on the quarter with Dinah Washington, given the choice.

Another genius over on the  Alt-Right subreddit  felt that it was a personal assault on white people, because if they start letting non-white people on currency, they’re all “fucked.” Somehow. I don’t know.

Imagine how sad your life has to be to fall into the throes of agony because there are people on coins you’re probably never going to use in your life that are not the same race as you! Or upon seeing a fictional character you thought was white being portrayed as a non-white person?

I mean, these people are always talking about how people on the left are all “crybabies” and “snowflakes” and what have you — but can you even imagine what they would do if they had to deal with 1/10th of what people who are actually oppressed go through? If they’re traumatized by a damn $100 coin that’s only going to be bought by collectors? They would fall down dead in a half hour, max.

[ ABCNews ]

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
link   seeder  JohnRussell    7 years ago

This is my favorite from the article

screen-shot-2017-01-13-at-1-19-45-pm

Putting a person of color as Lady Liberty was disgusting? 

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
link   Buzz of the Orient  replied to  JohnRussell   7 years ago

I don't see the image on the coin as being an image of the head of the Statue of Liberty. The statue has spikes prodruding from a headband ring whereas the coin image shows stars instead.  I would not interpret it as a depiction of the head of the Statue of Liberty, but as a whole new concept. Gold coins are minted with different images from time to time more as collectors' items, not really useable as currency so I see no reason for criticizing that image.

What surprises me considering the removal of deity recognition everywhere else, such as in front of courtrooms, public buildings, schools, etc, that "In God we trust" remains on American currency.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal

This comment is a good one too.

lady-liberty-reddit

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet
link   Dowser    7 years ago

Maybe we should all take a deep breath, and just have many women of different races be on the Liberty $100 coin.  To me, it's no big deal.

Think what the value of a one year issuance of this coin will be worth at a later date!  I see "collector's edition" here...

Nowhere Man
Junior Guide
link   Nowhere Man  replied to  Dowser   7 years ago

Well, just so you know, it is not legal tender.

Two reasons. it doesn't say it is, and it's one ounce of .999999% pure gold. gold hasn't Been the currency standard since the 60's and gold coins specifically since the early 30's.

It's a collectors piece, probably selling for over $1,300 a pop.

And no the head is not the head of Lady Liberty.

Although the coin does use the word Liberty, it is not a liberty head gold dollar . (pic of both faces at the link) A liberty head gold dollar is a specific coin only minted from 1849 - 1854 according to the US Mint and all the numismatist societies. It hasn't been minted in many several decades (well over a century) with no outlook on being re-minted in the future.

And notice, the head on a true liberty head gold dollar isn't a depiction of the face of the statute of liberty.

More bullshite faux angst.....

The truth will set you free.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal

Newstalkers does what it best at, avoiding the seeded topic. 

Cerenkov
Professor Silent
link   Cerenkov    7 years ago

Blackwashing? Cultural appropriation? 

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
link   seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  Cerenkov   7 years ago

One of your more bizarre comments. It is a long long list though. 

Cerenkov
Professor Silent
link   Cerenkov  replied to  JohnRussell   7 years ago

Thanks. Do you have anything constructive to contribute or are you still full of shit?

JohnRussell
Professor Principal

If you want to defend your bizarre comment feel free. 

Cerenkov
Professor Silent

After you counter it.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal

"The 2017 American Liberty 225th Anniversary Gold Coin is the first in a series of 24-karat gold coins that will feature designs which depict an allegorical Liberty in a variety of contemporary forms -including designs representing Asian-Americans, Hispanic-Americans, and Indian-Americans among others-to reflect the cultural and ethnic diversity of the United States,"  reads a press release from the Mint ."

Cerenkov
Professor Silent

Nice try. Sadly it did not refute my premise.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal

What race is this symbolic figure?

il_570xN.489060642_eza8.jpg

Cerenkov
Professor Silent

Greek.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal

Evidently allegory and symbolism are beyond you. 

Cerenkov
Professor Silent

Apparently history and mythology are beyond you.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal

If someone were to make a "Lady Justice" statue ,with a figure that had asian features holding the scales, is it your belief that the figure would no longer represent justice? 

If the U.S. government decided to take the head off the statue of liberty and replace it with a face that looked like this

Ethnically-Ambiguous.jpg

would the statue no longer represent liberty? 

Cerenkov
Professor Silent

I honestly don't care. However, per liberal logic, portraying a historical white fictional character as black would be blackwashing. And that's apparently evil.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert

It would no longer depict the French scullptor's historical concept of "Liberty" as represented by America. Would yoiu change Mona Lisa to look Asian?

Mark in Wyoming
Professor Silent
link   Mark in Wyoming   replied to  Buzz of the Orient   7 years ago

Buzz , there have been many incarnations of "Lady liberty" , and many have been depicted on US coinage prior to the gift from france in the late eighteen hundreds, so it isn't nessisarily going to be a depiction of what Mr Labole designed .

most of the depictions follow Greco -Roman sculptures in style , and what can make them a collectable depends on the name given , such as a "walking liberty , a long haired liberty , and such , and it usually describes the form taken by the artist.

and there as been just as many incarnations of the Columbian eagle as there have been of lady liberty.

My opinion , the coin being depicted , is simply an annual commemorative collectors piece , never intended for use in normal currency transactions.

And I would add this is not the first coin to feature a woman ( susan b Anthony) , and not the first coin to feature a woman of color( sacawajea(sp) 1$ piece) , though they are right its a first for the liberty  series of coins , commemorative or not.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert

Alien

Cerenkov
Professor Silent
link   Cerenkov  replied to  Buzz of the Orient   7 years ago

Ancient alien?

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
link   Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Cerenkov   7 years ago

The face isn't human. It looks more like the face of a character from the movie "Avatar".

Cerenkov
Professor Silent

Buzz, are you an extraterrestrialphobe? Shocking!

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
link   Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Cerenkov   7 years ago

Hah! Last night I watched for the umpteenth time "The Day the Earth Stood Still". Love Sci-Fi movies. And as for Avatar, I would rather live among the aliens in that movie than the humans. 

Cerenkov
Professor Silent

Me too.

1ofmany
Sophomore Silent
link   1ofmany  replied to  Buzz of the Orient   7 years ago

When my son was a kid, he was raving about Independence Day so I went to see it with him. The first scene was the shadow of a spaceship so gigantic that the mere vibrations it generated, when it passed the moon, erased the footprint of man left from the earlier lunar landing. What great imagery. The rest of the movie was entertaining but, to me, didn't live up to the opening scene. I told my son about how The Day the Earth Stood Still did more with hardly any special effects. I rented it for him so he could see for himself. It's still one of my favorite movies. 

Nowhere Man
Junior Guide
link   Nowhere Man  replied to  1ofmany   7 years ago

Whenever I hear people talk about Michael Renne as an actor, I point out this movie. Just about zilch for special effects and he had to carry the picture on his own talent.

A wonderful movie and a wonderful talent.

The remake with all it's CGI wondement, is an embarrassment to Hollywood compared to the original.

1ofmany
Sophomore Silent
link   1ofmany    7 years ago

I think the coin is fine. 

Aeonpax
Freshman Silent
link   Aeonpax    7 years ago

10 dollar bill_0.jpg

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
link   Hal A. Lujah  replied to  Aeonpax   7 years ago

Shouldn't she be on the three dollar bill?

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
link   Hal A. Lujah    7 years ago

Now that's a fine looking coin!

1484483950810.png