╌>

Anyone Tired of Seeing the Same Depressing Troll Articles on the Front Page? Here's some Good News

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  spikegary  •  7 years ago  •  36 comments

Anyone Tired of Seeing the Same Depressing Troll Articles on the Front Page?  Here's some Good News

Found this from a friend of mine on another site.  Some truly excellent news:

Some Good News From Around the Planet

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Spikegary
Junior Quiet
link   seeder  Spikegary    7 years ago

Instead of the normal clickbait we see all the time, this is a video compilation of some good news from around the globe.  Believe it or not, there are good things happening, but we have no room on the Front Page for them because we've forgotten how to have adult discussions and debates.

Kavika
Professor Principal
link   Kavika     7 years ago

Some great stories in the 20 good news stories.

If you posted any of them, you'd be lucky to get 5 comments, Spike.

What the FP has become is a beacon for BS.

Spikegary
Junior Quiet
link   seeder  Spikegary  replied to  Kavika   7 years ago

Agreed, I'm surprised to see it has lasted this long.  Not sure what the Hot Chick was getting at in the comment above yours.

Kavika
Professor Principal
link   Kavika   replied to  Spikegary   7 years ago

''Not sure what the Hot Chick was getting at in the comment above yours.''

Nothing, just incoherent babbling.

Nowhere Man
Junior Guide
link   Nowhere Man  replied to  Kavika   7 years ago

And that is a complete shame, not only is most of it on the FP are political clickbait, most participating in some of it don't even have a clue what they are talking about.

Any one of those linked articles would be great, but most would be lucky to get two responses...

Damned shame I tell ya.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
link   JohnRussell  replied to  Nowhere Man   7 years ago

NM, will you stop being a blowhard please.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
link   JohnRussell    7 years ago

16. World hunger hit a 25-year low

Happy african kids Image: Wikimedia.org

Where once there were 821 million malnourished people in the world in 2010, there are now 795 million. That number is still too high, but think about the difference: 26 million people are no longer starving. That’s the population of a modest country being fed regularly in just six years.

Source: New York Times

I GUESS IT'S ALL IN THE PERSPECTIVE . IN SIX YEARS THE MALNOURISHED PEOPLE PERCENTAGE FELL 3%.  NOW ONLY 97% OF THE PREVIOUSLY MALNOURISHED STILL ARE.

AT THIS RATE IN ANOTHER JUST ANOTHER 200 YEARS HUNGER WILL BE A THING OF THE PAST.

Spikegary
Junior Quiet
link   seeder  Spikegary  replied to  JohnRussell   7 years ago

The point, John, is that there is good news.  Have the ills of the world been cured?  No.  DO we see nothing but negative bullshit on the front page?  yes.  Here's an opportunity to discover some good things that are happening.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
link   JohnRussell  replied to  Spikegary   7 years ago

I have no objection to "good news" articles. When I see them, some I comment on and some I don't depending on if it is something that interests me. 

Spikegary
Junior Quiet

As does everyone else.  Your point?  The article talks of Good News, you're post was equivocating that the news could be better.  Well, of course it could be better.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
link   Buzz of the Orient    7 years ago

21. The NT Home Page has at this point in time found a chink of relief from the ravages of typing-terrorists. As the late great Leonard Cohen had written in his poem/song Anthem: "There is a crack in everything. That's how the light gets in."

crack.jpg

deepwaterdon
Freshman Silent
link   deepwaterdon    7 years ago

It is not the 'same depressing troll articles' that are the problem here. It is the same depressing trolls, that need to go, not the articles.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
link   Perrie Halpern R.A.    7 years ago

Gary,

Would you like to take over "Good News.....pick a day". I'll make sure that there is no off topic and trolling on it, if you do!

I have two good stories to post.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal

This breathalyzer can detect 17 different diseases

Read more here:

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal

This is just really interesting!

Police History: Was U.S. Marshal Bass Reeves the real Lone Ranger?

The first black lawman west of the Mississippi, Bass Reeves rode a big gray horse, wore a black hat, and gave out silver dollars as a calling card

Some say U.S. Deputy Marshal Bass Reeves was the inspiration for “The Lone Ranger.” If he was, you might say he lived a life more dangerous and interesting than the legend that rose from it. 

In 1838, Bass Reeves began life as a slave in Crawford County, Arkansas. During the Civil War he accompanied his master — Colonel George Reeves — as the Colonel joined the Confederate Army. After hearing of the Emancipation Proclamation, Bass proclaimed himself to be a free man and escaped.

His flight landed him in Oklahoma Territory, where he was embraced immediately by the Cherokee. It was here that he learned to ride, track, shoot, and speak five Native American languages fluently — all skills that would serve him well.

483837_170191066464627_2105234335_n

The  real  “Lone Ranger,” it turns out, was an African American man named Bass Reeves, who the legend was based upon. Perhaps not surprisingly, many aspects of his life were written out of the story, including his ethnicity. The basics remained the same: a lawman hunting bad guys, accompanied by a Native American, riding on a white horse, and with a silver trademark.

Bass Reeves, Deputy Marshal
At war’s end, Reeves married, began raising his children and worked as a farmer as well as an occasional scout for lawmen tracking criminals. In 1875, Judge Isaac Parker hired him as one of 200 Deputy Marshals in the Oklahoma Territory sent out to tame “Indian Country.” 

At a time when the average man was about 5’6”, Reeves was a towering 6’2.” He was broad at the shoulders, narrow at the hips, and said to possess superhuman strength. The first black lawman west of the Mississippi, Reeves cut a striking figure on his large gray (almost white) horse, while wearing his trademark black hat and twin .45 Colt Peacemakers cross-draw style. 

He gave out silver dollars as a calling card.

The “Indomitable Marshal”
Reeves became famous among criminals for his skills and relentless pursuit. Although shot at many times, he remained untouched by a single bullet, and because of this he was called “The Indomitable Marshal,” so tough he could “spit on a brick and bust it.”

A newspaper of his times reported, “Place a warrant for arrest in his hands and no circumstance can cause him to deviate.” 

The Oklahoma City Weekly Times-Journal reported, “Reeves was never known to show the slightest excitement, under any circumstance. He does not know what fear is.”

This was never truer than the case where three men he was pursuing managed to get the drop on him and ordered him off his horse. The leader approached, gloating that the “Indomitable Marshal” was about to die. 

Showing no fear, Reeves calmly took out his warrants and asked the three men, “What is the date today?”

The puzzled leader asked, “What difference does that make?”

Reeves explained that he’d need to put the date of the arrest on the paperwork when he took the three of them in — dead or alive, their choice.

The three men laughed at the absurdity of the thought, and Marshal Reeves used the distraction to grab the barrel of the leader’s gun. One of the men opened fire, but Reeves drew and shot him dead. He then killed the leader by bashing his skull with his pistol. 

The third man wisely submitted to the arrest.

A Lawman Until Death
Reeves was also famous for his cunning disguises. While in pursuit of two criminals he discovered them hiding in a cabin that would be difficult to approach safely. He shot three holes in his hat, changed into tattered clothes, and hid his handcuffs in a bag. 

He tied up his horse out of sight and walked up to the cabin, appearing exhausted. Reeves told a tale of harrowing escape from the custody of U.S. Marshals. The two bad guys were mesmerized as Reeves showed them the bullet-riddled hat, confirming the tale. The gullible criminals invited him to join them in their next planned robbery.

While the wanted men slept Reeves quietly handcuffed both of them, and then let them sleep through the night. In the morning he told them he’d let them sleep so they would be rested for their long ride back to the jail in Fort Smith.

In the twilight of his career, a newspaper reported Reeves had brought in 3,000 living felons and 20 dead. He corrected the record, saying that during his storied career he had killed 14 men in self-defense.

Reeves retired from Federal Service after 32 years, the last and longest serving of Judge Parker’s Marshals. He took a position with the Muskogee Oklahoma Police Department until his passing in 1910 of natural causes.

The lengthy and glowing obituary for this universally respected former slave turned U.S. Deputy Marshal described him as “absolutely fearless and knowing no master but duty.” 

It almost doesn’t matter if Reeves was the basis for the Lone Ranger character — Reeves was clearly a lawman of the highest order. As you set out on your next patrol shift, perhaps you’ll have in the back of your mind that righteous call of the Lone Ranger: “Hi, yo, Silver! Away!”

Old Hermit
Sophomore Silent
link   Old Hermit  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A.   7 years ago

Was U.S. Marshal Bass Reeves the real Lone Ranger?

Nice one Perrie.

Loved learning about Bass after I moved up here.  We spent around 5 months every year living and working down in Fort Smith and believe you me, those folk are still proud of both Marshal Bass and Judge Isaac C. Parker, i.e. " The hanging Judge ".

"I have ever had the single aim of justice in view... 'Do equal and exact justice,' is my motto, and I have often said to the grand jury, 'Permit no innocent man to be punished, but let no guilty man escape.'"
-Judge Isaac C. Parker, 1896

For twenty-one years, Judge Isaac C. Parker held the bench of the U.S. Court for the Western District of Arkansas. His tenure was unique in the history of the federal judiciary; while most U.S. district judges toiled away on civil cases, Parker heard thousands of criminal complaints involving disputes and violence between Indians and non-Indians. He sentenced 160 people to death, and for fourteen years he did so while the condemned had no right of appeal.

One of the details from Marshal Reeves storied life that caught me was how his sense of duty was so strong that he arrested his own son for murder.

Though the tales of Reeves’ heroics are many and varied, the toughest manhunt for the lawman was that of hunting down his own son. After having delivered two prisoners to U.S. Marshal Leo Bennett in Muskogee, Oklahoma, he arrived to bad news. His own son had been charged with the murder of his wife.

Though the warrant had been lying on Bennett’s desk for two days, the other deputies were reluctant to take it and though Reeves was shaken, he demanded to accept the responsibility for finding his son. Two weeks later, Reeves returned to Muskogee with his son in tow and turned him over to Marshal Bennett.

His son was tried and sent to Kansas’ Leavenworth Prison. However, sometime later, with a citizen’s petition and an exemplary prison record, his son was pardoned and lived the rest of his life as a model citizen.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
link   Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Old Hermit   7 years ago

Hi Ark,

I'm glad that you enjoyed the article. I didn't know the story of Reeve's son, but in other articles that I read, it did say that he enjoyed the company of the local Indians, and they taught him tracking. Maybe this is where the story of "Tonto" came up. 

As for the hanging judge, I thought he was Roy Bean, but I could be wrong, since you are from that neck of the woods. 

Old Hermit
Sophomore Silent
link   Old Hermit  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A.   7 years ago

I thought he was Roy Bean,

Judge Roy Bean was a hoot .  One crazy, colorful old coot but he was a West Texas JP/Saloon owner.

Work had me spending a lot of time in Midland/Odessa, El Paso areas but I never got down to the Paccos County area that was Judge Roy Bean's stomping grounds.

Bean has often been confused with "hanging judge" Parker of Ft. Smith - (perhaps because their slightly unorthodox or creative sentencing). Bean never actually hanged anyone, although he occasionally "staged" hangings to scare criminals. Bean would prepare a script with his "staff" - if they were sober enough - which allowed for the prisoner to escape. Given this "second-chance" - the culprits never appeared before the court again.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
link   JohnRussell    7 years ago

My basic atttiude on Newstalkers , and on Newsvine for that matter, is to seed articles about the predominant news of the day. That is what sites with the word "news" in their title are naturally focused on. 

We have a current political situation that is unprecedented. It is the biggest news story in the world right now. Last night tens of thousands of people protested against Donald Trump, in LONDON. 

But human interest, science, sports, celebrity gossip, veterans stories, animal news, it is all fine.

Newstalkers biggest problem is that the same 25 or 30 people are posting every day. If there were more people there would be a bigger variety. 

Dean Moriarty
Professor Quiet
link   Dean Moriarty  replied to  JohnRussell   7 years ago

You seed mostly opinion pieces not hard news. 

Spikegary
Junior Quiet

That's because many people from either side of the fence have driven others off of here either through outright harassment or the continual dumbing down articles with headlines modified to be clickbait.  Then every one of those articles become a battleground because neither side is willing to stop and see if there's something of value.

And before anyone gets their panties in a wad, both sides of the fence do it.  As to news of the day, there is plenty of news, daily, that is not political, but that doesn't interest people with their own agenda.

This is a non-political article, but someone brought politics into it. Why?  Because it fit into the discussion?  Or more because, some people can't ever get off one theme, no matter what?

Uptownchick
Junior Silent
link   Uptownchick    7 years ago

How an Actor and His Elderly Neighbor Became Inseparable

File photo of Chris Salvatore © Paul Archuleta/FilmMagic/Getty Images File photo of Chris Salvatore At first glance, Chris Salvatore and Norma Pattavina look a bit like an odd couple.

But Salvatore, a 31-year-old actor, and Pattavina, his 

89-year-old neighbor, have been inseparable since they became friends four years ago. "I thought he was beautiful," Pattavina told NBC News.

As neighbors, Salvatore and Pattavina first grew close sharing long talks, birthdays and even holidays together. But when Pattavina was diagnosed with Leukemia, she didn't have family to turn to. Salvatore said he stepped in to fill the void.

"Chris was such a big help to me," Pattavina said. "And he's been helping me ever since."

In need of expensive treatments and around-the-clock home care, Salvatore turned to social media to raise money for his friend.

The pair's online adventures like "Pizza Night" and the hashtag "My Neighbor Norma" went viral, and the effort raised $50,000 in funds for the crucial home care. When the donation money ran out and Norma needed more care, the odd couple decided to become roommates.

Salvatore said he wanted to assure Pattavina that she would never be alone again. He said the experience of caring for his ailing neighbor has "changed my life."

"Being here for her, it's really brought me back to what's important." said Salvatore. "Family, love, human kindness."

KatPen
Freshman Silent
link   KatPen  replied to  Uptownchick   7 years ago

Thank you for sharing that heart-warming story!