╌>

SJW Internet Publishes a Guide to Being as Many Genders as You Want without Culturally Appropriating

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  bf  •  7 years ago  •  77 comments

SJW Internet Publishes a Guide to Being as Many Genders as You Want without Culturally Appropriating

xAFVOuF.png

I n case you’ve been spending a lot of time thinking about all of the different genders, and wondering if any of your or your friends’ many genders might be cultural appropriation, there’s a piece making the rounds on Social Justice Internet that’s here to help.

In a piece titled “ What Does Multigender Mean? 10 Questions You May Be Afraid to Ask — Answered ,” Jenny Crofton explains that there’s “an infinite diversity of genders in the world” and “at least as many genders as there have been humans who lived.”

“I say ‘at least’ because as it turns out, people can embody more than one gender in their lifetime,” Crofton writes. “We can even embody more than one gender at once.”

“We can experience them as full and independent, or as partial and mixed,” Crofton continues.

A few examples of possible gender identities offered in Crofton’s article include “amorgender,” which is “gender that changes in response to a romantic partners,” “mirrorgender,” which is “gender that changes to reflect those around you,” “chaosgender,” which is “gender that is highly unpredictable,” and “gendervex,” which is “having multiple genders, each of which is unidentifiable.” Genders can also be negative instead of positive — something Crofton calls “antigender.” For example, some people might identify as “antigirl,” and that’s  not  to be confused with identifying as  male.

Now, lest you think that all of this sounds too simple and restrictive, Crofton also clarifies that your gender absolutely does not have to be something that’s included on this or any list, because even though “dominant culture wants us each to conform to a single gender,” you are totally allowed to have as many genders as you want, to change your gender or genders as often as you want, and to identify as a certain gender or genders like only a little bit instead of completely. Basically, anything goes — except, of course, for cultural appropriation.

Yes, that’s right. According to Crofton, certain gender identities can be appropriation, such as “the Two-Spirit genders of some North American Indigenous groups” and “autigender and fascigender, which are exclusive to people with autism.”

“Because it’s impossible to access these genders without being part of a specific cultural context, it’s inappropriate for outsiders to claim any Two-Spirit gender,” Crofton writes, adding that if even one of your genders is “culturally appropriated,” then your whole “overarching identity also becomes problematic” — a situation that can be an issue for “pangender people.”

“Pangender people, in a literal sense, identify as all genders,” Crofton writes. “The problem is that ‘all genders’ includes culturally specific genders that must not be appropriated.”

Ahhhhhhh, yes. A huge problem indeed! I, for one, cannot believe there hasn’t been more talk about how “pangender” is, by definition, culturally insensitive, and that identifying as all genders inherently means that you’re saying that you identify with at least one gender outside of your own cultural experience. The solution, according to Crofton, is for pangender people to make sure that they describe themselves as being “all available genders” instead of as “all genders.”

Toward the end of Crofton’s article, Crofton makes sure to remind everyone that multigender people are, indeed, “oppressed” because “being multigender is fundamentally contrary to our society’s hierarchical and exclusivist gender binary.”

“We suffer stigmatization, microaggressions, and various forms of body terrorism,” Crofton writes.

Crofton’s piece most recently appeared on my favorite website,  Everyday Feminism , but was originally published on  The Body is Not An Apology , an online magazine and “international movement committed to cultivating global Radical Self Love and Body Empowerment.”

http://www.nationalreview.com/article/444857/gender-appropriation-guide-social-justice-warrior-internet-guide

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
link   Hal A. Lujah    7 years ago

This looks like someone we all know.  Lol.

IMG_6772.JPG

1ofmany
Sophomore Silent
link   1ofmany    7 years ago

They think Bruce Jenner was born to be a lesbian and that there's nothing wrong with nominating him as woman of the year. They're just batshit crazy.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
link   JohnRussell    7 years ago

I heard on a news story today that there are believed to be appx 750,000 transgender people in the U.S. 

There are appx 200,000,000 adults in America, so that would mean 1 out of every 266 people is transgender. 

One can only wish that just 1 out of every 266 articles on Newstalkers was about this topic. 

1ofmany
Sophomore Silent
link   1ofmany  replied to  JohnRussell   7 years ago

It's not about how many people are crazy enough to believe that they were born in the wrong body or species. Instead, it's about the inmates taking over the asylum and telling the rest of us that we should accept crazy as normal. 

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
link   JohnRussell  replied to  1ofmany   7 years ago

They don't tell me. I try to pay as little attention to the subject as possible. If I didn't look at Newstalkers it would be more possible. 

Dean Moriarty
Professor Quiet
link   Dean Moriarty  replied to  JohnRussell   7 years ago

If the liberals didn't consider this crap to be an important issue we would see a lot less of it that's for sure. 

1ofmany
Sophomore Silent
link   1ofmany  replied to  JohnRussell   7 years ago

I don't want to pay attention to it either but now men are demanding access to the women's bathroom because they want others to see them as women. 

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
link   Buzz of the Orient    7 years ago

Can you imagine how many washrooms would be required in buildings if all the different gender identifications shown in the article above were needed to fulfill the many choices?  There wouldn't be room for offices or classrooms. In my opinion only three are needed - the standard ones for male and female, and for all others - this:

rainbowquestionmark231x300.png

1ofmany
Sophomore Silent
link   1ofmany  replied to  Buzz of the Orient   7 years ago

. . . a liberal's multiple gender identities don't take up any more space than did the seven faces of eve. One person can take 50 separate personas into the bathroom at the same time.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
link   Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Buzz of the Orient   7 years ago

Actually, years ago, there used to be a club in NY called "The World". They had 3 bathrooms, with the third one marked, "Other". Well, everyone knows how it goes with the women's room... really long lines. So I decided that I really had to go and went to "Other". It was filled with beautiful women. I did my business and walked out to touch up my makeup and all the woman started to compliment me on how beautiful my skin was. Eventually, one of them got the guts up to ask me if I had had electrolysis. Turns out, that "Other" meant transvestites. 

Cracks me up even today how utterly clueless I was... but then again, it was the 80's.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
link   Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A.   7 years ago

"Eventually, one of them got the guts up to ask me if I had had electrolysis."

Would electrolysis have made a man's face as smooth as yours? If you ever go back, wear a false beard.

Kavika
Professor Principal
link   Kavika     7 years ago

Spikegary
Junior Quiet
link   Spikegary    7 years ago

Finally an alternative we can all get behind:

Alternative Carrots.jpg