╌>

Donald Trump Appears To Make Up Sweden Terror Attack

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  johnrussell  •  7 years ago  •  49 comments

Donald Trump Appears To Make Up Sweden Terror Attack

We simply cannot get basic who what when and where facts from Donald Trump. 

-

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/donald-trump-sweden-terror-lie_us_58a8f397e4b045cd34c263d3

President  Donald Trump  falsely suggested at a Florida rally Saturday that Sweden had suffered a terror attack the previous night.

After  announcing  that the White House planned to renew its efforts to restrict immigration, Trump cited several European countries and cities that he said showed the dangers of admitting immigrants, particularly refugees. 

“You look at what’s happening in Germany, you look at what’s happening last night in Sweden,” Trump told a large crowd of supporters in a hangar at the Orlando-Melbourne International Airport. “Sweden. Who would believe this? Sweden,” he added. “They took in large numbers. They’re having problems like they never thought possible.”

...Others concluded that Trump had been referring to a segment on the Fox News show “Tucker Carlson Tonight,” which explored an alleged rise in crime following Sweden’s admission of a large number of refugees from Africa and the Middle East.

turns out "what happened last night in Sweden" actually just means "last night I was watching Tucker Carlson talk about Sweden"

Just to reiterate: There was NO terror incident in Sweden last night. 
But Fox talked about Sweden last night.

http://bigstory.ap.org/article/095b070ed4114be88fb9e7776b649e51/swedes-scratch-heads-trumps-suggestion-major-incident

HELSINKI (AP) — Swedes have been scratching their heads and ridiculing President Donald Trump's remark that suggested a major incident had happened in Sweden.

During a rally in Florida on Saturday, Trump said "look what's happening last night in Sweden" as he alluded to past terror attacks in Europe.

The comment has prompted a barrage of social media reaction on Sunday.

Former Swedish Foreign Minister Carl Bildt  tweeted , "Sweden? Terror attack? What has he been smoking? Questions abound."

Aftonbladet newspaper  listed in English  some events that had happened Friday in Sweden, including a man being treated for severe burns, an avalanche warning and police chasing a drunken driver.

One Twitter user posted a  mock Ikea instruction manual  on how to build a "Border Wall," saying the pieces had sold out.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
link   seeder  JohnRussell    7 years ago

U.S. 

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
link   Hal A. Lujah    7 years ago

I'm starting to think the Trump administration is doing this shit on purpose, thinking that any attention is good attention at some level.  He's horribly wrong, of course, but I just can't imagine any other reason other than ensuring that the name Trump is splashed over as many surfaces as possible.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
link   seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  Hal A. Lujah   7 years ago

"even before the president made a vague reference to an awful event in Sweden, the Nordic country had an avid dislike for Trump. A Pew Research Center survey released during the U.S. presidential election campaign last year showed that 92 percent of Swedes had little to no confidence in Trump to “do the right thing regarding world affairs ,” a higher number than in any other nation polled."

pat wilson
Professor Participates
link   pat wilson  replied to  Hal A. Lujah   7 years ago

I just can't imagine any other reason 

It's a cover for the gop to advance their agendas while the public is distracted.

Randy
Sophomore Participates
link   Randy  replied to  pat wilson   7 years ago

True, but it's a dangerous way to do it, by destroying the credibility of the Executive Branch completely in front of the world, which is what he is doing. The GOP may get some of their more odious bills passed and do a lot of damage to America (which they are so good at doing these days) that will have to be fixed, but sooner or later something monstrously terrible is going to happen somewhere in world or even here at home and the rest of the world will look to see how Trump reacts and they won't believe a damned thing he says because he has lied so much so far and continues to do it more and more and more. He seems to be incapable of NOT lying. It's a compulsion with him.

deepwaterdon
Freshman Silent
link   deepwaterdon  replied to  pat wilson   7 years ago

I see a new golf course in Swedens future. Paid for by the Swedes, as soon as Trump declares bankrupty, collects $100 million and takes a powder. Leaving the Swedes with their dicks in there hand.

Kavika
Professor Principal
link   Kavika     7 years ago

He's feeding his base with BS.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
link   seeder  JohnRussell    7 years ago

President* Trump's carelessness with facts is light years beyond anything we have ever seen before. In and of itself it should cause our national leaders to contemplate removing him from office before he causes a massive national or international tragedy. 

96WS6
Junior Quiet
link   96WS6  replied to  JohnRussell   7 years ago

"In and of itself it should cause our national leaders to contemplate removing him from office before he causes a massive national or international tragedy. "

Why am I not surprised the same person that cheered BO's expansion/abuse of power (that Trump now wields) would make such an utterly ridiculous and (once again) shortsighted statement.

How many times does one have to be told to be careful what you wish for?  (which in this case is dictatorship/communism)

Randy
Sophomore Participates
link   Randy    7 years ago

I loved Chelsea Clinton's tweet on it!!!

Chelsea Clinton Trolls Trump Over Sweden Comment: Did They Catch Bowling Green Perpetrators?

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
link   Buzz of the Orient    7 years ago

Trump may have been wrong with that specific reference to Sweden, but I would not close my eyes to what is happening in Sweden, the UK, and Europe due to the refugee crisis. Merkel will most likely lose her post in the coming election because of it. Most people are blind to what is going on because like the American media, the media there is reluctant to report it, and in fact in some places are committing an offence by reporting it.

1ofmany
Sophomore Silent
link   1ofmany    7 years ago

Trump admitted that he was repeating a story he saw on Fox News. So all Fox has to do is run a story, spin it however they chose, and this moron swallows it hook line and sinker. He sees no need to even run it past anybody for acccuracy before he blabbers it in public as a fact. If he keeps this up, nobody will believe a word he says, not because he's lying but because he doesn't bother to separate fact from fiction. 

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
link   seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  1ofmany   7 years ago

Trump says things are true when they are not for multiple reasons. Sometimes he is displaying his ignorance, sometimes his gullibility, sometimes he just feels like lying. His misstatements cannot be pigeonholed to one cause. 

1ofmany
Sophomore Silent
link   1ofmany  replied to  JohnRussell   7 years ago

I can pin it to one cause. He is an unapologetic ignoramus who gets his information off the damn television, speaks in a stream of consciousness, and has no more regard for the truth or falsity of his statements than a drunk on a barstool. On the other hand, if he gets the illegal aliens out of here, withdraws federal support for gender bender litigation, and nominates decent Supreme Court justices, then it will make it easier to live with the drawbacks of having Forest Gump as president.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal

There have been many many times when Trump has been informed that something he is saying is not true, but he keeps saying it on subsequent days anyway. That is just lying. 

1ofmany
Sophomore Silent

I told my son that monsters aren't real. He said they were because he saw them on television. He was wrong but he wasn't lying.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
link   Buzz of the Orient  replied to  1ofmany   7 years ago

Well said, 1ofmany.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
link   seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  Buzz of the Orient   7 years ago

It's only well said if you know little of Trump. 

JohnRussell
Professor Principal

How many times has said he had the biggest margin of victory in the electoral college since such and such a date even after he has been shown he is wrong? He does this sort of thing often and it is lying. 

pat wilson
Professor Participates
link   pat wilson  replied to  JohnRussell   7 years ago

It's lying or childish ignorance. Lots of POTUS's have lied but not bald-faced when confronted with irrefutable evidence to the contrary. Either way it's bad news for the nation.

1ofmany
Sophomore Silent

How many times has said he had the biggest margin of victory in the electoral college since such and such a date even after he has been shown he is wrong? He does this sort of thing often and it is lying. 

Trump obviously doesn't care about the exact margin of victory as a historical point. He's a cheerleader pumping up his team for the game. This whole thing is like a rally to him. You can't pump up the crowd by passing out a spreadsheet of exactly where everybody stands in the competition. Instead you yell "we're no. 1" whether you're number 1 or not. 

Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom
Professor Guide
link   Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom  replied to  1ofmany   7 years ago

I seldom remark on the posts you make because even though I disagree with most of them, I consider you to be one of the more responsible contributors on NT, and I have no desire to get into any sort of a flame situation with you.  That said, do you realize that you just likened Donald Trump to a child who believes in monsters?  Now that is something about which I couldn't agree more, even though I doubt you meant it in the way that I interpreted it.

Regarding this:

Trump obviously doesn't care about the exact margin of victory as a historical point. He's a cheerleader pumping up his team for the game.

...you attempted to justify the fact that Trump lied.  I'm sorry, but there is never a magnanimous reason for a man in Trump's position to lie about anything, regardless of the size of the lie.  As President of the United States, he should be held to a higher standard of ethics, and so should those in his inner circle.  Fact checking publically stated comments is the easiest thing in the world to do. The man is his own worst enemy because he can't keep his yap shut for five minutes without tweeting something stupid, cruel, completely false, self-promoting, or self-incriminating.  Trump's (and his team's) 'alternative' method of spin might have worked in the private sector, but he's an idiot to think his bamboozling manner and shifty shenanigans will work now.

As a Trump supporter, you should be incensed, not to mention embarrassed, by his behavior and actions.  Looking the other way certainly doesn't help get us out of the mess he is making of this country.

Nowhere Man
Junior Guide
link   Nowhere Man  replied to  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom   7 years ago

Well blame it on the fact that although we may take notice, we don't accord it the weight some of our more liberal brethren do.

He won, according to the rules, he can claim anything about that he likes cause in reality it is pointless.

Has anyone considered that he brings it up cause he is aware of the heart palpitations it gives his political enemies? That as long as he can get you all babbling about that, you miss the other important things....

Just my viewpoint sister.

Randy
Sophomore Participates
link   Randy  replied to  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom   7 years ago

I couldn't agree more Sister. He is at the very least pretending to be the President and his words matter around the world. There is no room for him to exaggerate, or in his case outright lie, about his statistics in his supposed victory in the the Presidential victory or in any other form of numbers to try to make himself look more superior, when just the opposite is glaringly apparent to the news media around the world. He needs to watch what he says because everyone in the world is listening. Or he needs to shut the fuck up. He is a little man in so many ways and he just can't allow himself to be seen so in front of everyone, so he acts the clown trying to appear otherwise and never gets it that nearly everyone is just laughing at him. It's sad and pathetic.

It seems the man has an intense inferiority problem. He is like the man you see in the country who has to buy a big 4-wheel drive truck that is jacked up so high he needs a ladder to get into it or the man in the city who is in his 70's and thinks his Porsche or Corvette makes him look sexy. Both are compensating for a penis that is either too mall or just plain doesn't work anymore.

Kavika
Professor Principal
link   Kavika   replied to  Randy   7 years ago

Oh that hurts Randy...I love my 911 and I really do use my jacked up truck. It's a long bed btw. I take it to the grocery store and fill up the bed with goodies. Of course I have the bag boy take the groceries out and load them into the jacked up bed of the truck. I can't reach...Laugh

Kavika, tooling down the road in his jacked up F350 Turbo Diesel crushing cars along the way.

1ofmany
Sophomore Silent
link   1ofmany  replied to  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom   7 years ago

I seldom remark on the posts you make because even though I disagree with most of them, I consider you to be one of the more responsible contributors on NT, and I have no desire to get into any sort of a flame situation with you. 

Thank you. 

That said, do you realize that you just likened Donald Trump to a child who believes in monsters?  Now that is something about which I couldn't agree more, even though I doubt you meant it in the way that I interpreted it.

Actually, I was taking a swipe at Trump while demonstrating the difference between lies and statements that aren't true. Belief is at the heart of the difference. Essentially, all lies are false statements but all false stamens aren't lies if you believe that the false statement is true. 

Regarding this:

Trump obviously doesn't care about the exact margin of victory as a historical point. He's a cheerleader pumping up his team for the game.

...you attempted to justify the fact that Trump lied.  I'm sorry, but there is never a magnanimous reason for a man in Trump's position to lie about anything, regardless of the size of the lie.  As President of the United States, he should be held to a higher standard of ethics, and so should those in his inner circle.  Fact checking publically stated comments is the easiest thing in the world to do. The man is his own worst enemy because he can't keep his yap shut for five minutes without tweeting something stupid, cruel, completely false, self-promoting, or self-incriminating.  Trump's (and his team's) 'alternative' method of spin might have worked in the private sector, but he's an idiot to think his bamboozling manner and shifty shenanigans will work now.

I wasn't defending him but rather pointing out what he's doing. Trump is a demagogue, not a politician, so he's focused on effect not facts. Do I like it? Of course not. Does it work? Yes, as demonstrated by the fact that he used demagoguery to become president of the United States.

As a Trump supporter, you should be incensed, not to mention embarrassed, by his behavior and actions.  Looking the other way certainly doesn't help get us out of the mess he is making of this country.

I'm not a Trump supporter and would be perfectly fine if the buffoon were kicked off the planet tomorrow. However, I also don't support the media spinning news to tip the scale to one side. I won't look the other way for a demagogue or a biased media. 

Randy
Sophomore Participates
link   Randy  replied to  1ofmany   7 years ago

I told my son that monsters aren't real. He said they were because he saw them on television. He was wrong but he wasn't lying.

Trump is (allegedly) not a child. When it is shown to him that something he is saying is demonstrably untrue and he keeps saying it he is not wrong, he is lying.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
link   Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Randy   7 years ago

Nobody can deny that people make mistakes, and when it is the POTUS there is a huge magnifying glass through whicn the world sees it. The bigger mistake is in not correcting the mistake, as with another example - how he misunderstood the reporter on the anti-Semitism issue.

1ofmany
Sophomore Silent
link   1ofmany  replied to  Randy   7 years ago

Trump is (allegedly) not a child. When it is shown to him that something he is saying is demonstrably untrue and he keeps saying it he is not wrong, he is lying.

If he believes it to be true, then he's not lying. It's only a lie if he (rather than you) knows it's false and says it anyway. Few know what is actually in the mind of Donald Trump. 

Randy
Sophomore Participates

If he believes his lies to be true, when it's been proven to him that they are not, then America is in even bigger trouble then if he is just plain lying. Then he needs professional help.

Randy
Sophomore Participates

Few know what is actually in the mind of Donald Trump.

IMHO Donald Trump does not know what is actually in the mind of Donald Trump.

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
link   Hal A. Lujah  replied to  Randy   7 years ago

That is evident when he speaks.  He literally doesn't know what's about to come out of his mouth next.

Randy
Sophomore Participates
link   Randy  replied to  Hal A. Lujah   7 years ago

I was raised most of my life in dairy country and watching him speak is literally like watching manure flow out a cow's asshole.

deepwaterdon
Freshman Silent
link   deepwaterdon    7 years ago

How about the U.S. lets the European countries worry about their immigration crisis.

How many American children  went to sleep last night hungry, cannot get a fair and equal education, and are homeless, through no fault of their own. Time we stopped being the bankers for the world and started fixing things in the United States. Little things like bridges, roads and dams. Or is that too much to ask of those people who promised they would deal with those issues when we elected them?

Randy
Sophomore Participates
link   Randy  replied to  deepwaterdon   7 years ago

Trump says he wants to work on infrastructure, but so far his only plans are for the taxpayers to give grants to select private contractors to only work on things like oil pipelines and new drilling and fracking and fossil fuel exploration projects and improving coal mining and rail transportation for the mined coal. He wants to use government (taxpayer) money to update and rebuild coal and other fossil fuel fired electrical generating plants...to provide jobs.

He has proposed nothing do to with bridges and dams and highways and bridges and the electoral grid. They are not even  on the list of things to think about. They are not his idea of what "infrastructure" looks like.

deepwaterdon
Freshman Silent
link   deepwaterdon  replied to  Randy   7 years ago

We can only hope the bridge to his private island collapses into the bay!

Randy
Sophomore Participates

While he is on it...and drowns.

Randy
Sophomore Participates
link   Randy    7 years ago

He wants to use government (taxpayer) money to improve, update and build new coal, oil and other fossil fuel fired electrical power plants to create more jobs. He looks at these, instead of looking at renewable fuel sources (even though these sources are now cheaper), as rebuilding the infrastructure. And fuck the electrical...bridges...roads...highways...dams...etc...

deepwaterdon
Freshman Silent
link   deepwaterdon    7 years ago

Randy, we better be careful here. Some people on this site may deem our comments as subversive, anti-Trump and therefore anti-American, and even traitorous. The next knock on the door may be the republikkkan Gestapo.

Nowhere Man
Junior Guide
link   Nowhere Man  replied to  deepwaterdon   7 years ago

You mean like the IRS going after Conservative groups?

Randy
Sophomore Participates

The next knock on the door may be the republikkkan Gestapo.

They don't scare me. I've been married three times and nothing scares me any longer!