╌>

The World's Fastest Indian

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  kavika  •  7 years ago  •  15 comments

The World's Fastest Indian

''The World's Fastest Indian'' is the title of a movie starring Anthony Hopkins, Diane Ladd and Saginaw Grant among others.

It's the story of New Zealander Burt Munro, who in the 1950's and 1960's tinkered with his 1920 Indian Scout motorcycle in his garage in Invercargill, NZ. with the hopes of setting the land speed record for motorcycles (1,000 cc or less) at the famed Bonneville Salt Flats in Utah.

In 1967 at the Bonneville Salt Flats he recorded the fastest time every on an Indian Motorcycle. 190 MPH. Called the ''Flying Mile''. His speed of 184.586 still stands as the fastest 1,000 cc and under.

In 2006 he was inducted into the AMA Motorcycle Hall of Fame.

In March 2013 Indian Motorcycles announced that it was producing a custom-built streamliner named the Spirit of Munro . The motorcycle was built to showcase the Thunder Stroke 111 engine to be used in one of the 2014 road models. The company said the Spirit was a tribute to Munro's achievements with the Indian Scout, and to all Indians of old.

The movie is a ''feel good'' movie of a tinkerer that loved his motorcycle and speed. He beat the odds and accomplished the near impossible.

Link to Burt Munro's story and some additional stats.....https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burt_Munro

The story of Indian Motorcycles starts in 1901 and through the years Harley Davidson and Indians were the real names in the motorcycle world. In 1953 Indian declared bankruptcy and over the years a number of companies have tried to re establish the Indian. All failed.

Then in 2011 Polaris Industries purchased the rights to Indian and the iconic Indian was given new life. Now, 6 yeas later Indian is the fastest growing motorcycle in the U.S. Although far behind the dominant Harley the financial strength of Polaris and the engineering expertise of the company has combined with the legendary name to one again bring the legend roaring back to life.

Link to the history of Indian Motorcycles....http://www.motorcycle.com/features/indian-motorcycle-history.html

Over the years I've always been someone that loved speed, thus I've had a few bikes in my day.

In the early 2000's I sold my last bike. In was a fully restored 1949 Indian Chief. Now I've got the bug again with Polaris and Indian being on the front line so to speak...

1949 Indian Chief

1947IND_Lside.jpg

image.php?groupid=54&dateline=1318910249

Ride Indian Ride, a tribute to Indian motorcycles.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Kavika
Professor Principal
link   seeder  Kavika     7 years ago

Oh yeah, Red Thunder is back.

Nowhere Man
Junior Guide
link   Nowhere Man  replied to  Kavika   7 years ago

Congratulations. Damned shame on the Chief, I know any number of riders that would give their left nut to own a '49 in any condition.

What was it three years ago I posted the World's Fastest Indian in the movie section. Absolutely great story He actually went back to the Salt Flats nine times!

Oh Man the good old days.... {sigh}

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
link   Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Nowhere Man   7 years ago

"What was it three years ago I posted the World's Fastest Indian in the movie section."

Do you mean in the Classic Cinema group? If so, I don't recall seeing it. Is it too much trouble to post it again?

By the way, Sixpick has found a way to post videos which I have been able to watch without constant buffering and jerking.

Nowhere Man
Junior Guide
link   Nowhere Man  replied to  Buzz of the Orient   7 years ago

Actually my friend, For very good reasons I choose not to reveal, I will never be posting movies again. Besides I shut down the server I was running on anyway rather than pay for something I wasn't going to use anymore.

I'll ask him what he does.... Thanks...

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
link   Buzz of the Orient    7 years ago

You sold that bike? Were you broke and needed the money? That bike is a TREASURE.

Kavika
Professor Principal
link   seeder  Kavika   replied to  Buzz of the Orient   7 years ago

No, I wasn't broke Buzz...LOL...I'm close to 10 years older than the bike and though that I'd ridden by last round up on a bike so I sold it in a moment of insanity..

BUT, I'm looking at one again..A new one of course, the old kick start isn't working for me any longer.

Red thinks I'm nuts, but she's thought that for 35 years...LOL...If you aren't a little bit crazy  your'll go completely insane.

TTGA
Professor Silent
link   TTGA  replied to  Kavika   7 years ago

Yeah, I do seem to remember you mentioning that, whenever you do something like going back to riding bikes, her favorite opening line is "You crazy Indian".  On the other hand, Indians have a sense of class and solidity that Harleys just don't have.  If you're going back to bikes, that's definitely the way to go.

Kavika
Professor Principal
link   seeder  Kavika   replied to  TTGA   7 years ago

''You Crazy Indian'', I seem to recall her saying that more than one time.

No other choice than an Indian motorcycle, ttga.

Interestingly, Polaris announced that it was discontinuing the Victory line of motorcycles to concentrate on the Indian motorcycle. That should give even more of a boost to the Granddaddy of bikes.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
link   Perrie Halpern R.A.    7 years ago

First, I have to say, that I really loved the movie "The World's Fastest Indian". It was such an unexpected gem of a movie. 

I had a friend who owned an old Indian in the 1070's. The problem always was finding parts for it, but he loved it more than his Harley. It was the one bike I could control, so I grew to love them, too. 

It is wonderful news to hear of the comeback of the Indian... and one good Indian deserves another. I hope you get yours and have some great adventures. 

Kavika
Professor Principal
link   seeder  Kavika   replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A.   7 years ago

''It is wonderful news to hear of the comeback of the Indian... and one good Indian deserves another. I hope you get yours and have some great adventures.''

LOL, yes we do... 

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
link   Perrie Halpern R.A.    7 years ago

:)

screminmimi
Freshman Silent
link   screminmimi    7 years ago

I am not a bike rider and even I think you are nuts for selling it... lol. My big question is....

... where is Wiki going to ride? Do you have  a helmet designer-made for her yet?thinking

Kavika
Professor Principal
link   seeder  Kavika   replied to  screminmimi   7 years ago

This should answer your question mimi. With her proper attire she has a comfortable spot in the saddlebag.

zoomers.jpg

Kavika
Professor Principal
link   seeder  Kavika   replied to  Kavika   7 years ago

BTW, the ''biker gang'' that she belongs to is named ''Wiener Thunder'' We're long were it counts.Laugh

screminmimi
Freshman Silent
link   screminmimi  replied to  Kavika   7 years ago

What a doll!!thumbs up