╌>

"Internet Slang": Top 50 trending Now

Category:  Now Trending

Via:  krishna  •  7 years ago  •  21 comments

"Internet Slang": Top 50 trending Now

Some are used mainly by certain groups of people-- for example, computer programmers & other techies, or sports fans, etc.  Some of these come and go. A few have been around since the Internet first became popular with individual users.

LOL ("Laugh out loud") is probably the longest lasting and may never disappear entirely. Others that have had a long life or have at times been extremely popular include: FAQ, IMO, WTF, BTW, OMG, BRB, NSFW . . . 

Here's a list of the 50 that are supposedly the most popular right now:  Top 50 Trending Slang Terms - Live - 14th March 2017 . How many of these are you familiar with? 

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Krishna
Professor Expert
link   seeder  Krishna    7 years ago

From the list of 50, here are the ones that I am familiar with: SMH, BF*, EOD, PR*, TNSTAAFL*, NSFW. 

(*IMO, these three are not really "Internet slang"-- they were fairly widely used in offline conversation long before being used on the 'net).

Randy
Sophomore Participates
link   Randy  replied to  Krishna   7 years ago

I love it! I put it in my Favorites for future use! Thanks!

Krishna
Professor Expert
link   seeder  Krishna  replied to  Randy   7 years ago

You're welcome!

Apparently that website updates its list of the top 50 daily...

I know a lot of others that used to be very popular. I don't know if they are no longer used, or f they're just not in the daily "top 50).

Here are a few: 

TLAs & MLAs: When they first started being widely used, most were "three letter acronyms" -- 3 letters only: TLA, IMO, BRB, OMG, etc.

Later many "Multi Letter Acronyms" (more than 3 letters) came into use:  LOL generated ROFL & ROFLMAO. Then there was INALB, INALNIPOOTV.  IMO inspired IMHO & IMNSHO. RTFM. FOAD. STFU. etc.

Krishna
Professor Expert
link   seeder  Krishna  replied to  Krishna   7 years ago

Many of them originated in the early chat rooms (first popularized by AOL where chat rooms were YUGE). These are especially useful in chat:

-BRB = "be right back

-LTR = "later"

-CUL8R = "See you later"

-TTYL = "talk to you later

-TTFN = ta ta for now

Kavika
Professor Principal
link   Kavika     7 years ago

Oh for goodness sake, I'm still trying to deal with English and now you throw this out.

WTFIAIGTD.
Translation What the fuck is a Indian going to do.

I should clear up that it's AMERICAN INDIAN. I don't want to get shot by some right wing nut.

Randy
Sophomore Participates
link   Randy  replied to  Kavika   7 years ago

Oh come on Kavika! He'd be just trying to get you out of his country!

winking

Kavika
Professor Principal
link   Kavika   replied to  Randy   7 years ago

LOL, I'm sure that he is.

Krishna
Professor Expert
link   seeder  Krishna  replied to  Kavika   7 years ago

WTFIAIGTD.
Translation What the fuck is a Indian going to do.

I should clear up that it's AMERICAN INDIAN

Well, if it's intended to mean specifically an American Indian (rather than a Desi) it should be WTFIAAIGTD rather than WTFIAIGTD!

Kavika
Professor Principal
link   Kavika   replied to  Krishna   7 years ago

No, I want it in large print and spelled out so some nut doesn't mistake me for a Desi. One can't be to careful, it's dangerous out there.

Krishna
Professor Expert
link   seeder  Krishna  replied to  Krishna   7 years ago

Trivia: For those unfamiliar with the term, "Desi" is not internet slang. Rather its a slang term that "South Asians"call themselves (i.e. people from the "Indian subcontinent": India, Pakistan and probably Sri Lanka). 

Since Trump was elected there have been at least two attacks on "Desis"-- Indian Americans living in the U.S. (One was murdered). 

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
link   Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  Kavika   7 years ago

I should clear up that it's AMERICAN INDIAN. I don't want to get shot by some right wing nut.

But now you stand the chance of being beaten by the left for not using the "correct PC terms".  You may have offended yourself and they will have to do something about it.

Kavika
Professor Principal
link   Kavika   replied to  Jeremy Retired in NC   7 years ago

When I refer to myself, I use our real name, Anishinaabe which translated means the ''First or Good People''.....Also, I'm quite familiar with how dangerous it is out there in the world.

Currahee (we stand alone)

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
link   JohnRussell    7 years ago

I hate acronyms. 

Krishna
Professor Expert
link   seeder  Krishna  replied to  JohnRussell   7 years ago

I hate acronyms. 

IHA?

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
link   Buzz of the Orient  replied to  JohnRussell   7 years ago

I agree with John. I have said previously that I hate acronyms. Sure I know what some of the most common ones are, and even use them from time to time myself. But in my case many require research to find out what they mean and that to me is a waste of time. I think that they are used often by teenagers in phone texting: e.g. Dont B L8, RUthere, etc.

I posted elsewhere a story of the first time a got an email with the acronym LOL and I wrote back asking if she was sending me "lots of love" and I think she's still laughing at me.

zuksam
Junior Silent
link   zuksam  replied to  JohnRussell   7 years ago
I hate acronyms

Me too. I rarely know what they mean and if I look them up I'm usually disappointed and feel my time has been wasted. The worst thing is with all this Texting these days more and more stupid useless acronyms are being created everyday. We should have a rule here if you use an acronym it should link to the definition to make it easier for us older folks who aren't so hip anymore and just don't have the time or energy to decipher ever changing Hipster slang.

JackOL
Freshman Silent
link   JackOL    7 years ago

Technically, many of the above are initialisms and not acronyms. Acronyms have the letters pronounced as a word, e.g. scuba .

Is there a grammar Nazi in the house? Laugh

Enoch
Masters Quiet
link   Enoch    7 years ago

OMG, acronyms are like, whatever dude.

My favorite is idsvp (I don't spell very well).

Enoch (Each nugget of charm hurts).