Category:  The Lighter Side/ Humor

Via:  kavika  •  7 years ago  •  26 comments

Able-Bodied Senior Who Watches TV All Day Receives Free Government Meals

Able-Bodied Senior Who Watches TV All Day Receives Free Government Meals

By Andy Borowitz

March 19, 2017 

Borowitz-Trump-government-meals-690.jpg
Credit PHOTOGRAPH BY JON HILL / REDUX

WASHINGTON ( The Borowitz Report )—An able-bodied senior citizen who refuses to do anything but watch television receives three free government meals every day, according to reports.

The senior, who has three piping-hot meals wheeled up to him each day, reportedly has no intention of working and prefers to fill his hours watching cable news.

Even more outrageous, the recipient of the meals spends most weekends in Florida, where the flow of free government food continues without interruption.

Harland Dorrinson, the executive director of the Center for Benefit Reduction, a think tank that focuses on reducing federal benefits, called the individual’s consumption of free government meals “the worst abuse of the system I’ve ever seen.”

“I might be accused of being heartless for saying this, but this person should be thrown out on the street,” he said.

But, according to a source familiar with the senior, those calling for him to work for his meals are, at best, ill-informed. “You can’t expect someone to do a job when he's completely unqualified,'' the source said.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Kavika
Professor Principal
link   seeder  Kavika     7 years ago

Another damn ''taker''.

Dean Moriarty
Professor Quiet
link   Dean Moriarty  replied to  Kavika   7 years ago

Good thing we have people working at cutting the funding. If you leave money laying on the street someone will pick it up. 

Kavika
Professor Principal
link   seeder  Kavika   replied to  Dean Moriarty   7 years ago

I agree Dean....That damn senior citizen called Trump is one of the worst takers in the U.S.

Dean Moriarty
Professor Quiet
link   Dean Moriarty  replied to  Kavika   7 years ago

I've seen worse. 

President-elect Donald Trump has announced he will give up his presidential salary of $400,000 (£319,500) and take just $1 a year. He revealed his plan to receive nominal pay during an interview with 60 Minutes' Lesley Stahl on CBS News.

Kavika
Professor Principal
link   seeder  Kavika   replied to  Dean Moriarty   7 years ago

Wow, that's really good news. It will help offset the $300,000/$400,000 per day that maintaining Trump Towers as a hide away for his family costs.

Then there is that $3 million per weekend cost that he incurs at Mar A Lago.

All at taxpayers expense.

How cool is that.

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide
link   A. Macarthur  replied to  Dean Moriarty   7 years ago

President-elect Donald Trump has announced he will give up his presidential salary of $400,000 (£319,500) and take just $1 a year. He revealed his plan to receive nominal pay during an interview with 60 Minutes' Lesley Stahl on CBS News.

Not what's actually happening; he will receive his salary from the Treasury and give all but $1 to a charity (possibly his own Foundation) at the end of the tax year. 

By doing so, he gets to claim a deduction … WHICH DEPRIVES THE U.S. TREASURY OF ANOTHER $150,000 or so!

THAT MEANS HE HAS COST YOU AND ME, ETC. $550,000 …

… and pissed in our faces while telling us "it's raining" …

Am I being a "f*cking smug liberal" -- or, am I (figuratively) handing Trump suckers their asses?

Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom
Professor Guide
link   Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom  replied to  A. Macarthur   7 years ago

Am I being a "f*cking smug liberal"

Shoot, even my smug is smug today.

Kavika
Professor Principal
link   seeder  Kavika   replied to  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom   7 years ago

smug is smug today...Now that's really smug, smuggest, smugger, smugarama....

Wink

Anita Blackman
Freshman Silent
link   Anita Blackman  replied to  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom   7 years ago

Oh I got that "Toosh" even my "gums" is smug today."

Very Clever I see what you did.

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide
link   A. Macarthur  replied to  Dean Moriarty   7 years ago

Good thing we have people working at cutting the funding. If you leave money laying on the street someone will pick it up. 

And if you leave people on the street (200,000 of them homeless veterans), is that also a good thing.

I must ask … WTF is wrong with some of you "people"?

If you or anyone on this site needed a hand and I could do or give something, I wouldn't hesitate for a second.  Can you not comprehend that kind of mindset?

Randy
Sophomore Participates
link   Randy  replied to  A. Macarthur   7 years ago

They are inhuman and inhumane.

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide
link   A. Macarthur  replied to  Randy   7 years ago

They are inhuman and inhumane.

Not all the time …

… on some days, they don't reach as high a level.

Randy
Sophomore Participates

True, they are only inhuman and inhumane when they really try hard to get up to that level...the rest of the time they are very sub-human.

Kavika
Professor Principal
link   seeder  Kavika     7 years ago

Compassion and a RW is a oxymoron.

Cerenkov
Professor Silent
link   Cerenkov  replied to  Kavika   7 years ago

Intelligence and a LW is an oxymoron. 

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
link   Perrie Halpern R.A.    7 years ago

LOL... you guys!!

sixpick
Professor Quiet
link   sixpick    7 years ago

Well by golly we're suddenly concerned about the homeless!  Where have all those humanitarian been for the last 8 years when homelessness was doubling?

Well,  they weren't in NYC or San Francisco which have the most homeless people residing in them than any other cities in the United States.  Where ya'll been?

Kavika
Professor Principal
link   seeder  Kavika   replied to  sixpick   7 years ago

I've been helping out the homeless, meals on wheels etc....The real question is where have you and the republicans been, Six.

sixpick
Professor Quiet
link   sixpick  replied to  Kavika   7 years ago

You know how many shifts I work. I help the homeless everyday, numerous tes a day.  Good that you volunteer your time.  I don't have that time to spare.

Look it up, the Republicans give more to charity than than the Democrats do anyway.

Kavika
Professor Principal
link   seeder  Kavika   replied to  sixpick   7 years ago

No I don't know how many shifts you work, nor do I care, Six.

I stated just some of the contributions that I make to make life a little easier for those less fortunate. If you don't like my answer, well that's just too bad.

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide
link   A. Macarthur  replied to  sixpick   7 years ago

Look it up, the Republicans give more to charity than than the Democrats do anyway.

You look it up; most of the money donated by Republicans go to RELIGIOUS organizations.

sixpick
Professor Quiet
link   sixpick  replied to  sixpick   7 years ago

Oh my mistake, I thought you were worried about the homeless.

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide
link   A. Macarthur  replied to  sixpick   7 years ago

Well by golly we're suddenly concerned about the homeless!  Where have all those humanitarian been for the last 8 years when homelessness was doubling?

Well,  they weren't in NYC or San Francisco which have the most homeless people residing in them than any other cities in the United States.  Where ya'll been?

I really resent being castigated from a position of ignorance … and I personally like you and consider you a friend … but stop with the unsubstantiated allegations and innuendos.

What are some housing programs for the homeless?

A:

QUICK ANSWER

Habitat for Humanity and the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development both provide housing programs for the homeless. HUD is a government agency that offers several housing assistance programs to qualifying homeless individuals and families in the United States. Habitat for Humanity is a Christian-based organization that operates worldwide. 

CONTINUE READING

KEEP LEARNING

• Which charities accept furniture donations?

• What are some volunteer programs that are good for teens?

• What programs offer housing grants?

What are some housing programs for the homeless?
Credit:   JONATHAN NACKSTRAND   AFP   Getty Images

FULL ANSWER

The U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development has several categories of housing programs, including competitive homelessness programs and formula homelessness programs. Programs under the competitive homelessness umbrella include the Continuum of Care Program and the Rural Housing Stability Assistance Program, whereas the Emergency Solutions Grant Program falls under the formula homelessness program.

Examples of other homelessness programs offered through the department are the Defense Base Closure and Realignment Program, the HUD-Veterans Affairs Supportive Housing Program and the Title V Program - Federal Surplus Property for Use to Assist the Homeless. Additional help for segments of the homeless population are available through the HUD's Office of Housing and the Office of Public and Indian Housing.

Habitat for Humanity is a non-profit organization that operates largely by means of donations and volunteer time. The organization builds, renovates and repairs homes for the needy in many countries across the globe, including the United States, Ethiopia, Uganda, Haiti and Slovakia.

LEARN MORE ABOUT BUSINESS & FINANCE

RELATED QUESTIONS

• Q:

Which charities offer donation pick up?

A: There are several charities that offer free donation pick up, including Salvation Army, Goodwill, ARC and Habitat for Humanity. Other prominent charities t...  FULL ANSWER >
    FILED UNDER:  
  • Q:

Where is the closest Habitat for Humanity?

A: Habitat for Humanity has a locator on the website to help find the nearest location. The locator looks for volunteer opportunities, local events, ReStores ...  FULL ANSWER >
    FILED UNDER:  
  • Q:

Is it possible to donate to Habitat for Humanity?

A: It is possible for a person to donate to Habitat for Humanity through the official website, notes the official Habitat for Humanity website. Donors may cho...  FULL ANSWER >
    FILED UNDER:  
  • Q:

Where does Habitat for Humanity get cabinets from?

A: Local Habitat for Humanity organizations get cabinets from individual and corporate donations of monetary gifts and building materials, proceeds from local...  FULL ANSWER >
    FILED UNDER:  

Homeless Veteran Outreach

The Department of Veteran Affairs (VA) has made the elimination of homelessness among Veterans a top priority. VA's "no wrong door" philosophy will ensure homeless Veterans and Veterans at risk of homelessness will have timely access to appropriate programs and services. Informing the public about the availability of assistance for Veterans is essential to the success of this initiative.

Please download the following outreach materials and share them with your friends, family members, and colleagues. If you encounter a Veteran who is homeless or at risk of homelessness, strongly encourage him/her to make the call to the VA National Call Center for homeless Veterans at (877) 4AID-VET or (877) 424-3838. Assistance is also available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days per year,  via online chat .

Posters

Randy
Sophomore Participates

Which charities offer donation pick up?

When we lived in Los Angeles we went out of our way to make all of our donations of physical items (clothes, furniture, etc.) to Out of the Closet, which uses the money from it's thrift stores to provide services to people with AIDS. Here in the valley we donate to a place called Angel Thrift, who provide wheelchairs and physical therapy to children who can not walk and who can not afford them. There is never an excuse for throwing away something that can be resold to help out a charity. Never.

Plus we shop there also.

sixpick
Professor Quiet
link   sixpick    7 years ago

AMAC I'm not operating from a position of ignorance.  Everything I said in my comment was fact.   Look it up.

It"s goodyou put up all the information. 

Maybe it will inspire some to be more concerned with the homeless.

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide
link   A. Macarthur    7 years ago

AMAC I'm not operating from a position of ignorance.  Everything I said in my comment was fact.   Look it up.

For starters … you can copy and paste the links into your browser …

The states that topped the Chronicle’s generosity list also tended to be the ones with the highest rate of churchgoers. “We’ve been looking at this over many different years, and we know that religion matters a lot,” she said. It could be that the faithful are generally more inclined to donate their money to charitable causes. Or, it could be that the faithful are more likely to donate money to their own churches and religious communities. 

The  Chronicle of Philanthrophy  also http://philanthropy.com/article/America-s-Geographic-Giving/133591/","lnid":"made a point"}}"> made a point  that conservatives ignored:

When religious giving isn’t counted, the geography of giving is very different. Some states in the Northeast would jump into the top 10 when secular gifts alone are counted. New York would vault from No. 18 to No. 2 in the rankings, and Pennsylvania would climb from No. 40 to No. 4.

They also  noted :

A study by the Center on Philanthropy at Indiana University found that the residents of New Hampshire — which ranked dead last in both surveys by  The Chronicle  — weren’t stingy; they were simply nonbelievers.

“New Hampshire gives next to nothing to religious organizations,” says Patrick Rooney, the center’s leader, “but their secular giving is identical to the rest of country.”

Sometimes it helps to read the whole report, not just the sections that make you feel superior.