╌>

14,000-Year-Old Village Found on Canadian Island

Category:  Anthropology & Archeology

Via:  kavika  •  7 years ago  •  26 comments

The category is: “Thing that are old.” What is Great Pyramid at Giza? Good answer. What is Stonehenge? Better. What is a Heiltsuk village site on Triquet Island in British Columbia? Ding-ding-ding! We have a winner! Charcoal recovered from a hearth buried in a Heiltsuk village site dates back 14,000 years, making it one of the oldest First Nations settlements in North America and older than the Great Pyramid and Stonehenge combined.

I remember when we get the dates back and we just kind of sat there going, holy moly, this is old.

Attendees at the annual meeting of the Society for American Archeology this week will hear about the discovery from Alisha Gauvreau, a PhD student at the University of Victoria who worked at the excavation on Triquet Island, 320 km (200 miles) south of the Alaskan border and about 500 km (310 miles) northwest of Victoria, Canada. In addition to the charcoal, Gauvreau and the rest of the archeologists found rare artifacts such as a wooden projectile-launching device called an atlatl, compound fish hooks and a hand drill used for lighting fires.

fire-starting-drill-570x428.jpeghttp://mysteriousuniverse.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/04/fire-starting-drill-300x225.jpeg 300w, http://mysteriousuniverse.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/04/fire-starting-drill.jpeg 640w" alt="" width="570" height="428">

A 6,000-year-old fire-starting drill

It appears we had people sitting in one area making stone tools beside evidence of a fire pit, what we are calling a bean-shaped hearth. The material that we have recovered from that trench has really helped us weave a narrative for the occupation of this site.

That narrative lends credence to the stories told by the indigenous peoples of the Heiltsuk tribe about ancient settlements that appeared to date back prior to previously-accepted estimates of their first arrival on the island. Stable sea levels kept the artifacts well-preserved just a few feet below the current ground level.

hole-570x376.pnghttp://mysteriousuniverse.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/04/hole-300x198.png 300w, http://mysteriousuniverse.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/04/hole-768x507.png 768w, http://mysteriousuniverse.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/04/hole.png 791w" alt="" width="570" height="376">

Alisha Gauvreau at the dig site

The artifacts and sediment also show that two tsunamis in the village’s history may have caused residents to vacate for a time and, when they returned, change their eating habits. The evidence shows the Heiltsuk people’s ancestors hunting and eating seals, sea lions and other large mammals for about 7,000 years, then switching to fin fish and shellfish.

fishing-hook-570x428.jpeghttp://mysteriousuniverse.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/04/fishing-hook-300x225.jpeg 300w, http://mysteriousuniverse.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/04/fishing-hook.jpeg 640w" alt="" width="570" height="428">

A stick tied to nets that catches in the throat of fish

One of the best ways to determine how ancients cultures lived is to look at their trash and there’s a five-meter-deep (16 feet) midden (trash heap) that runs for 70 meters (230 feet) between the beach and the village that Gauvreau plans to dig in next. The team will also begin similar excavations on other coastal islands to see if the tsunamis resulted in dietary changes there.

What have we learned from the excavation on Triquet Island? Dead men may tell no tales but their garbage tells all of their secrets. And there are people who still say “holy moly.”

TAGS: British Columbia , Canada , First Nation , Great Pyramid , indigenous people

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Kavika
Professor Principal
link   seeder  Kavika     7 years ago

''That narrative lends credence to the stories told by the indigenous peoples of the Heiltsuk tribe about ancient settlements that appeared to date back prior to previously-accepted estimates of their first arrival on the island.''

Oral history once again.

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
link   Hal A. Lujah    7 years ago

Impossible.

jrd.jpg

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
link   Perrie Halpern R.A.    7 years ago

Really interesting information. It also does away with the timeline that is usually accepted about when the first people arrived here. 

Kavika
Professor Principal
link   seeder  Kavika   replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A.   7 years ago

That's true Perrie. I expect to see numerous changes in the previous theories on migration and the time lines in the Americas.

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet
link   Dowser    7 years ago

I'm glad that someone finally found it and excavated it.  There is so much we have yet to learn about our early humans in the Western hemisphere!

Kavika
Professor Principal
link   seeder  Kavika   replied to  Dowser   7 years ago

The past few years have lead to numerous new discoveries in the America's, many of them have changed previously accepted theory.

1ofmany
Sophomore Silent
link   1ofmany    7 years ago

A settlement that old would put it in the ice age. This seems to fit within current speculation that not all islands off Canada were covered in ice. People may have been able to avoid inhospitable glacier covered continents and live on these islands, traveling south along the coastline in boats to hunt wherever they found game. Essentially, the ocean became a highway. 

Kavika
Professor Principal
link   seeder  Kavika   replied to  1ofmany   7 years ago

The discovery of human habitation on islands off the coast of Southern California, dated 11,000 to 12,000 years old would support the theory that ancient people did indeed travel via water along the coast of north America.

Santa Rosa Island in the Channel Islands has been a wealth of information for the sea faring theory.

1ofmany
Sophomore Silent
link   1ofmany  replied to  Kavika   7 years ago

All interesting. The speculation is that native Americans originated in Siberia. They crossed the Bering straight into Alaska over a land bridge, perhaps in search of better hunting grounds. But when the land bridge submerged, the straight is only a few miles wide at some points so native people could easily continue to cross by boat or float down the coastline. Hunting along the coastline seems to minimize contact with hostile native people who have settled in permanently and declare an exclusive right to a particular hunting ground. 

There also appears to be a separate group of people who came to the americas via boat from the South Pacific but that was much later than the ice age. 

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
link   Buzz of the Orient    7 years ago

Interesting article. However, when I try to open the links, this is what I get:

Error 1011 Ray ID: 34fa967bf62751c4 • 2017-04-14 23:54:00 UTC

Access denied

What happened?

The owner of this website (mysteriousuniverse.org) does not allow hotlinking to that resource (/wp-content/uploads/2017/04/fishing-hook.jpeg).

Kavika
Professor Principal
link   seeder  Kavika   replied to  Buzz of the Orient   7 years ago

I get the same thing Buzz. Somehow it's connected to the photo in the article.

Steve Ott
Professor Quiet
link   Steve Ott  replied to  Buzz of the Orient   7 years ago

Try pasting that into your browser.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
link   Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Steve Ott   7 years ago

That worked. Thanks Steve.

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
link   Bob Nelson    7 years ago

Cool.

Kavika
Professor Principal
link   seeder  Kavika   replied to  Bob Nelson   7 years ago

Indeed it is Bob.

Enoch
Masters Quiet
link   Enoch    7 years ago

Dear Friend Kavika: My choice for things that are old:

The Meat Loaf at Jay's Diner.

Forensic Paleontologists assess it at 20,000 years (25,000 if you count the ketchup on top of the slice).

P.S. Seen the ad for Jay-Harmony.com?

Its a singles meeting site for single Diner patrons.

Their motto: "We are all about dating. And we aren't talking about Carbon 14"!

Enoch, Using a Jackhammer on a Parkerhouse Roll at Jay's to Cut It.

Kavika
Professor Principal
link   seeder  Kavika   replied to  Enoch   7 years ago

I'm really old, so anything that is petrified is good with me...Laugh

Al-316
Professor Silent
link   Al-316    7 years ago

I will be interested to learn what they discover in the middle of the hidden midden.

Randy
Sophomore Participates
link   Randy    7 years ago

I thought everyone knew we came from a much longer time ago then that!

Among these advanced teachings is the story of  Xenu  (sometimes Xemu), introduced as the tyrant ruler of the " Galactic Confederacy ". According to this story, 75 million years ago Xenu brought billions of people to Earth in spacecraft resembling  Douglas DC-8  airliners, stacked them around volcanoes and detonated hydrogen bombs in the volcanoes. The thetans then clustered together, stuck to the bodies of the living, and continue to do this today. 

Makes perfect sense to me! thumbs up

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
link   Buzz of the Orient    7 years ago

The REAL story, that coincides with the bible, is that Adam and Eve were sent to Earth in a spaceship (like the Superman story). Isn't that an Adam's rib-tickler?  I know its true because with the article about these original Canadians, is this story on the same page:

Spikegary
Junior Quiet
link   Spikegary    7 years ago

Kavika,

That's a cool discovery.  I look forward to hearing more of their discoveries as they continue to unearth more artifacts.  Thanks for sharing this!  It would be cool to be on that dig!

Kavika
Professor Principal
link   seeder  Kavika   replied to  Spikegary   7 years ago

I'm sure that they will uncover some really interesting things Spike. 

With each new discovery the old ''theories'' are changed, the dates and migration patterns change. Who knows where it will end up.

Spikegary
Junior Quiet
link   Spikegary  replied to  Kavika   7 years ago

A friend here at work just came back from a couple weeks vacation on a dig in South Dakota.  I haven't had a chance to talk to him about what they found if anything yet.  Would certainly be an 'alternative style vacation' to do that someday....might be a new add to the 'Bucket List'.

Kavika
Professor Principal
link   seeder  Kavika   replied to  Spikegary   7 years ago

There have been many new discoveries in the Dakota's, Wyoming and especially Montana. 

Working on a dig would be very interesting. 

It was in Montana that the skeleton of a young boy was found intact. The connection between the Clovis people and the modern American Indian was established beyond any doubt..This was a couple years ago.

Al-316
Professor Silent
link   Al-316  replied to  Spikegary   7 years ago

Go for it, Spikegary.

Digging would be the ultimate vacation. Even if you found nothing. Just learning the technique and going through the process would be neat. Like panning for gold. Sounds exciting.

Al