╌>

A Young Pear Tree Brings Comfort to Grieving Children

Category:  Other

Via:  buzz-of-the-orient  •  7 years ago  •  7 comments

By Neil Willenson, Huffington Post, May 30 2015

Finding the right words to comfort dozens of crying children can be a challenge. I was surrounded by more than 100 children of fallen U.S. service members at Camp Hometown Heroes — a free summer camp that is a hybrid of both recreation and healing opportunities. Yet, not all tears are unhealthy as for many of the children, this week in the woods was the one place they could cry freely with those who truly understand. The hugs, tears, discussion groups and art therapy offered during their week together helped them make important strides on their journey to healing.

camp 1.jpg

During their week at camp, children from nearly 22 states came together to honor their fallen heroes through a balloon release, candlelight ceremony, the creation of memorial quilt, and a tree planting where each child would have the opportunity to sprinkle dirt at the base of young tree.

For many of the children, the painful loss happened when they were infants — even prior to their birth — while their parent was deployed in a war zone in Iraq or Afghanistan. For others, the loss was much more recent as some of the campers present had lost a father within the prior year. Given the common bond of loss — be it recent or long ago — I knew the tree planting would need to be handled in a sensitive way as the very act of sprinkling dirt could remind them of the lifelong sacrifice they made for our nation. With that in mind, a few hours prior to the ceremony, I sought the counsel of Rabbi Noah Chertkoff of Congregation Shalom in Milwaukee.

Without any hesitation, Rabbi Chertkoff remarked, “Tell them the story of the 9/11 Survivor Tree. These children have been broken but they are not beyond repair. With healing comes hope.”

When our phone call ended, I quickly went to the 911memorial.org site to learn more about the tree.

“The callery pear tree became known as the Survivor Tree after sustaining extensive damage, but living through the September 11, 2001, terror attacks at the World Trade Center. In October 2001, the tree with lifeless limbs, snapped roots and blackened trunk was discovered and freed from the piles of smoldering rubble in the plaza of the World Trade Center...

The damaged tree measured eight-feet tall when it arrived in November 2001 at the Parks Department’s Arthur Ross Nursery in Van Cortlandt Park in the Bronx.”

As I shared this story with the children and volunteers later that evening, I provided the hopeful ending to the story that the Rabbi felt would inspire them. I remarked, “This tree, now 40 feet tall, has been returned to the grounds of the former World Trade Center and is a symbol of hope, resilience and strength.”

camp 2.jpg

Each child who attends Camp Hometown Heroes could each be considered a “survivor tree.” Despite a painful, unfair and permanent loss, they endure. Despite a sacrifice few truly understand, they carry on. Somehow — despite the death of a cherished parent, sibling or other loved one — they bravely face each day.

Knowing that we wanted to plant a tree, a few weeks prior to the camp I called my friend Mark DuBois the owner of a local landscaping company in Wisconsin. Mark mentioned that he was honored to contribute a beautiful young tree and guaranteed he would select one that would bring beauty and comfort for years to come. A local engraver ensured we had an appropriate marker at the base of the tree with the words, “Remembering Our Fallen Heroes — Camp Hometown Heroes 2014.”

Mark was not aware of the “Survivor Tree” story I was planning to share with the children as Rabbi Chertkoff did not suggest it to me until just hours before the service. Yet, somehow despite the dozens of options available to him, the very tree Mark decided to deliver that day was a beautiful pear tree. Just like the Survivor Tree, our own pear tree will live on for decades to come.

While this small tree will not singularly take grieving children from a place of sadness to healing, I do believe that it serves a reminder to the children that brighter days are ahead.

camp 3.jpg

Photos courtesy of Visual Image Photography

Neil Willenson is the Co-Founder of Camp Hometown Heroes.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
link   seeder  Buzz of the Orient    7 years ago

Although this story is a couple of years old, I thought it was heartwarming, and a real contrast for the Home Page.

Enoch
Masters Quiet
link   Enoch  replied to  Buzz of the Orient   7 years ago

Dear Friend Buzz: Indeed it is.

Well done my good friend.

We need more stories such as this that uplift, unite, and bring out the best in us.

Less acrimony. more good will.

E.

Kavika
Professor Principal
link   Kavika     7 years ago

Wonderful uplifting story Buzz....

Great find and I was unaware of the ''Survivor Tree''.

Hopefully this new Survivor Tree will help give some closer and comfort to these children.

Kudos to all that participated in this.

And blessing to the children.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
link   seeder  Buzz of the Orient    7 years ago

I, too, have hope. I hope that more NT members besides Enoch and Kavika read this story, taking a break from trying to one-up their political opposites.

Cerenkov
Professor Silent
link   Cerenkov  replied to  Buzz of the Orient   7 years ago

Lovely story!

Kavika
Professor Principal
link   Kavika   replied to  Buzz of the Orient   7 years ago

The political bs  is getting really boring, Buzz...

Not much to read on NT with few exceptions like this article.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
link   Perrie Halpern R.A.    7 years ago

Wonderful and beautiful story. I never heard about the “survivor tree”, even though I am a New Yorker. What a wonderful way to transfer the lesson of that tree, to other occassions. That is one wise rabbi.