╌>

Religion explained

Category:  Religion & Ethics

Via:  hal-a-lujah  •  7 years ago  •  29 comments

Religion explained
See the video below. (Maybe one day the mobile platform will be fixed so that the fully functioning editor works when posting an article.)

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
link   seeder  Hal A. Lujah    7 years ago

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
link   Bob Nelson  replied to  Hal A. Lujah   7 years ago

All of them say that they are the only true religion.

All of them say that all other religions are false.

All of them...

Simply not true. Since this person speaks Arabic, I presume that he is "Muslim by birth", and that his perception of religion is largely determined by Islam. But his "all of them..." generalizations are simply not true.

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
link   seeder  Hal A. Lujah  replied to  Bob Nelson   7 years ago

I can agree that it is too broad a brush.  However, for possibly billions of religionists throughout the world, it is precisely accurate.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
link   Perrie Halpern R.A.    7 years ago

Good Morning Hal,

BTW, still working on a mobile editor, but the issue is google doesn't like them, so the coding is hard to find. 

Interesting video. I agree on some level. But not all faiths say that they are better than others. In fact, the Baha'i believe each faith is just a way of explaining the "creator" to different kinds of people and that no faith is wrong. 

I am an agnostic, maybe because I am a very science based person. Just as those with faith say they can prove that there is a god, those without faith say that they can prove that there isn't. In fact, I really don't believe that you can prove either. 

And if there is a creator, I doubt it is one that cares about what we do. We are nothing more than specs in this endless universe. I doubt it needs to be prayed to, since it vanity is a human frailty. It just is. 

This video did make a very valid point. It is religion that is the problem. Not because any faith says to hate, but because we are tribal beings, and many use faith as a way of saying that they are better. An excuse to hate and kill. But most religion doesn't teach that. That is what man does with it. 

And you do have a faith Hal. Your faith is anit god. It is a belief system. The belief that all religion is bad, that there is no god and that that there is nothing after this life. It is a belief system. That is all any faith is. 

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
link   seeder  Hal A. Lujah  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A.   7 years ago

Just as those with faith say they can prove that there is a god, those without faith say that they can prove that there isn't.

I can't prove that there aren't gods. I can't prove that there is a baloney sandwich and a twinkie contained in a KISS lunchbox buried somewhere beneath the surface of Europa either, but I am 100% confident that there isn't.

Dean Moriarty
Professor Quiet
link   Dean Moriarty  replied to  Hal A. Lujah   7 years ago

I agree the burden of proof is on the one that makes the claim. 

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide

C'mon, Hal!

Don't be silly.

Do you really put God and a baloney sandwich in the same file cabinet?

People have thought about God, apparently since we left the trees and ventured out onto the plain. Some of the best minds humankind has produced have dedicated themselves to thinking about God. 

You may not believe God exists -- that question is an essential part of all that thinking. But dismissing God along with a baloney sandwich... is unworthy of you.

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide

This seed is not about god so much as it is about religion.  You, as a Christian, should understand that.

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide

I didn't put God and a baloney sandwich in the same basket. You did

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide

I have stated ad nauseam on this forum that I have no complaints with deism, pantheism, Spinoza's ideas of god, Einstein's comments about a god-like order to the universe, and any similar higher order ideologies that are not defined as a religion.  In fact, numerous times I have made the claim that the sun is a far more admirable entity to worship than an eternally invisible and non-communicative god, as its presence is undeniable on a daily basis, and it can truly be said that life would not exist without it.  

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide

I can't prove that there aren't gods. I can't prove that there is a baloney sandwich and a twinkie contained in a KISS lunchbox buried somewhere beneath the surface of Europa either, but I am 100% confident that there isn't.

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide

Your point?

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide

Same as yours, I guess.... 

Aeonpax
Freshman Silent
link   Aeonpax    7 years ago

Any faith can be perverted by its adherents. Many people use religion as a means to achieve their secular goals.  Even the most benign of faiths can be horrible misused. Faith isn't the problem, it's the people who interpret  and claim to practice it, who are at fault.

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
link   seeder  Hal A. Lujah  replied to  Aeonpax   7 years ago

Sounds like the old gun adage, except guns have only been around for a fraction of the time that religion has, and religion has done far more damage than guns ever had.

You don't find it a little silly for people to accept a religion as genuine, when the truth is that it is just a rehashed version of some other religion?  Today is 'Easter', and millions of children (and uninformed parents) are being taught an outrageous lie about its origins.  At 'Christmas', they will do it all over again.  If you mention paganism, their doctrine instructs them to respond with accusations of heresy.  It's not the people that are the problem, it's the religion that is controlling their faith.

Aeonpax
Freshman Silent
link   Aeonpax  replied to  Hal A. Lujah   7 years ago

Not really. I believe in some kind of supreme divinity and try to respect others beliefs, thereof.

CM
Freshman Silent
link   CM    7 years ago

FOOD FOR THOUGHT, ANOTHER POINT OF VIEW:

Were Humans Bio-Engineered?

CM
Freshman Silent
link   CM    7 years ago

Perhaps I haven't yet earned my Trophy...

Randy
Sophomore Participates
link   Randy    7 years ago

Religion is the second most dangerous construct that humans have ever created. God is the first.

sixpick
Professor Quiet
link   sixpick  replied to  Randy   7 years ago

I think that celibacy is the most dangerous construct or constraint in this case.  Can you imagine if that had taken hold?