╌>

Howard Dean Suggests The First Amendment Doesn’t Protect Ann Coulter

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  sixpick  •  7 years ago  •  21 comments

Howard Dean Suggests The First Amendment Doesn’t Protect Ann Coulter

Former Vermont Gov. Howard Dean suggested on Twitter that the First Amendment doesn’t protect conservative commentator Ann Coulter.

Dean falsely claimed that the First Amendment doesn’t protect “hate speech” while suggesting that Coulter engages in such “hate speech.” (As the left-leaning PolitiFact had to remind CNN anchor Chris Cuomo as recently as 2015, the First Amendment does protect so-called “hate speech.” )

Screenshot/Twitter

Coulter, who regularly writes for a number of conservative publications including The Daily Caller, is scheduled to speak at the University of California-Berkeley — where left-wing students and agitators are particularly hostile to free speech — early next month. The university briefly rescinded her invitation to speak due to safety concerns about violent liberal mobs which have wreaked havoc at Berkeley in recent months.

Dean was responding to a tweet from a former New York Times reporter who insinuated free speech defenders shouldn’t defend Coulter’s right to speak.

Dean unsuccessfully ran for president in 2004 and served as chair of the Democratic National Committee from 2005 until 2009. He briefly threw his hat in the ring for DNC chair after Hillary Clinton’s electoral loss before removing his name from consideration.

~Link~

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

sixpick
Professor Quiet
link   seeder  sixpick    7 years ago

Wonder if he was on Hillary's "Loyalty List" and what he scored? 

So this is Howard Dean....

Former Democratic National Committee Chairman Howard Dean early Wednesday endorsed Pete Buttigieg to lead the DNC, saying the party's leadership is "old and creaky."

Well, he got one thing right, but I bet when he said it right after Hillary's loss he got on the poop list.  Career buster for sure.

Cerenkov
Professor Silent
link   Cerenkov  replied to  sixpick   7 years ago

Liberals hate free speech. 

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
link   XXJefferson51    7 years ago

Dean like democrats label all speech in opposition to them hate speech and then thus in their minds we are unworthy of the protections the constitution provides.  Typical elitist limousine liberals.

Randy
Sophomore Participates
link   Randy  replied to  XXJefferson51   7 years ago

I disagree. No we do not. What Howard Dean said was completely wrong. I hate what Ann Coulter has to say, but I support her right to say it. She has as much protection of Free Speech under the Constitution as anyone else. Every liberal that I personally know agrees.

Try saying "most" instead of "all". You paint with too broad of a brush when you label any group as "all" anything.

Steve Ott
Professor Quiet
link   Steve Ott    7 years ago

When has he been correct about anything? 

By his presumed definition, anyone sayng they hate Trump has no freedom or speech. 

There is either freedom to speak or no freedom to speak. 

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
link   Buzz of the Orient    7 years ago

There is a difference between hate speech and the reporting of terrorist incidents.  Unfortunately the mainstream media pays no attention to the difference and refuses to publish anything negative about terrorist incidents and even if they do they refuse to identify adequately those who were responsible, or else they will do the Obama thing and call it workplace violence or mental illness or anything other than the real intention or motive of the perpetrators.

sixpick
Professor Quiet
link   seeder  sixpick  replied to  Buzz of the Orient   7 years ago

Obama Pen

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
link   Buzz of the Orient  replied to  sixpick   7 years ago

That is exactly what I mean, six.

Mark in Wyoming
Professor Silent
link   Mark in Wyoming     7 years ago

hate speech is a construct of political correctness, something used to shield other individuals delicate sensabilities  to the realities that someone , rightly or wrongly  perceives or sees.

though free speech has limits , the true test of the concept and power of free speech , is to listen to someone expound their opinions at the top of their lungs something that you would disagree with and fight verbally at the top of your lungs , and still defend their right to their opinion and to state it plainly.

the true beauty of the concept of free speech , is though , in this country one has anenumerated constitutional right to say what they please, no one has the right to make anyone listen,  so simply  not giving those who use hate speech , and so far , I haven't really seen anyone innocent of using some form of it as PC as it is ,  an audience or someone listening to them , affording them a chance to influence you , seems to work . just smile and walk away .

sixpick
Professor Quiet
link   seeder  sixpick  replied to  Mark in Wyoming   7 years ago

I agree Mark.  I think the main problem is some people think they have the right to not be offended.

The more people demand to not be offended the more people are inclined to offend them.  It's just the nature of things when people try to shut others up after being offended for speaking their minds.

When people fear their freedom of speech is in jeopardy, they will be inclined to say things they wouldn't otherwise ever think of saying.

Of course no one likes a big mouth at a party going around offending everyone.  They usually take care of people like that among themselves, but that is an entirely different situation than presenting two opposing political views.

Randy
Sophomore Participates
link   Randy  replied to  sixpick   7 years ago

I find that statement to be extremely offensive! Happy

Actually my dad taught me that the only people who can really insult me are people whose opinions I care about. If I don't give a damn about them or their opinions, then their words and insults are meaningless to me. He was a truck driver's, truck driver and the son of one too, so he put it a bit crudely "If they don't feed me, fuck me or pay my bills, then why should I give a shit what they think about me?" Words to live by.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
link   Perrie Halpern R.A.    7 years ago

Well, I always agree with Mark. Freedom of speech is the cornerstone of this country and I value it, even when I disagree.. in fact more, since that is when this freedom means the most. I don't think it is as people think they have the right not to be offended, but rather they overreact to what the perceive as a threat. 

sixpick
Professor Quiet
link   seeder  sixpick  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A.   7 years ago

Protecting Free Speech

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
link   Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  sixpick   7 years ago

Technically, that isn't true. 

From the Heritage foundation:

I picked a nice conservative publication so you couldn't argue with me, LOL. 

sixpick
Professor Quiet
link   seeder  sixpick  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A.   7 years ago

Hey Perrie, I'm not going to argue with you.  It's been a long day and I'm sure it has been for you as well.  I just put that up for a change of pace of a little humor.  It was meant more as a joke.

One day is enough for any article.  Now for a little music before going to sleep.

It may take a little longer for this to work Buzz.  Be patient.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
link   JohnRussell    7 years ago

The problem is that when the mood hits her Ann Coulter is a publicity whore. Why is she going to Berkeley?  

Let's put it like this - she is hoping that there will be violence associated with her visit there. The publicity might sell some of her books. 

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
link   Buzz of the Orient  replied to  JohnRussell   7 years ago

You're prolific with predictions, John. Would you care to render one on what team will win the 2017 World Series?

sixpick
Professor Quiet
link   seeder  sixpick  replied to  Buzz of the Orient   7 years ago

LOL!!!

Randy
Sophomore Participates
link   Randy  replied to  Buzz of the Orient   7 years ago

Would you care to render one on what team will win the 2017 World Series?

Someone other then the Cubs.

sixpick
Professor Quiet
link   seeder  sixpick  replied to  JohnRussell   7 years ago

Let's put it like this - she is hoping that there will be violence associated with her visit there. The publicity might sell some of her books.

Oh come on John.  Sure there will be violence.  Antifa will be there to cause it.  Like Perrie said, they put too much fear in people hearing the other side and over react.  If they just let her speak and not make a big deal out of it, there wouldn't be any violence.  What are people suppose to do, be silent because some PC nuts can't take hearing the other side of a political argument?

I think we've had enough of letting the other side slap us around just to keep the peace.   I know you would see this entirely different if some favorite Liberal of yours was going to do the same thing Ann Coulter will be doing, expressing the opposing views and a bunch of right wing nuts did the same thing these Antifa are doing.  You're so predictable.