╌>

Trump Tells Coast Guard Graduating Class That No Politician In History Has Been Treated More Unfairly Than Him

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  johnrussell  •  7 years ago  •  37 comments

Trump Tells Coast Guard Graduating Class That No Politician In History Has Been Treated More Unfairly Than Him

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2017/05/17/donald-trump-coast-guard-academy-commecement/101787946/

WASHINGTON – On a brief escape from the political firestorm brewing in Washington, President Trump protested the media coverage of his four-month-old administration in a commencement address Wednesday at the United States Coast Guard Academy.

"No politician in history – and  I say this with great surety – has been treated worse or more unfairly," Trump said during his speech in New London, Conn., of both the Washington media and his political critics.

Telling the Coast Guard cadets that "adversity makes you stronger," he appeared undeterred after a difficult week for the Trump White House. "The people understand what I'm doing – that's the most important thing."

Trump did not make specific references to the problems awaiting him back at the White House, but they are multiplying.

Trump and his administration have been on the defense ever since explosive reports earlier this week that he  revealed highly classified information , provided by Israel, to Russian diplomats in their Oval Office meeting. On Tuesday, revelations that now-fired FBI director James Comey  kept notes of a February meeting  that say Trump asked him to close the agency's investigation into former National Security Adviser Michael Flynn, shook political circles and sparked accusations from Democratic lawmakers of possible obstruction of justice.

Making his second and last commencement address of the season – he spoke Saturday at Liberty University in Lynchburg, Va. – Trump began his remarks in a traditional vein, lauding the graduates for their accomplishments and thanking them for their service to the United States. He extolled Coast Guard duties ranging from interdiction of drug smuggling to patrols of the inner-coastal waterways.

The president then gave the cadets "some advice." They will not always be treated fairly, he said, and things will happen to them that "you do not deserve."

He then launched into a defiant defense of his record. "Look at the way I've been treated lately," he said. "Especially by the media."

Trump says he's proud of his administration's accomplishments, including the confirmation of Supreme Court Justice Neil Gorsuch and proposed regulation rollbacks, and all but taunted his critics in his declaration that he has no plans to give up anytime soon.

"You have to put your head down and fight, fight, fight," Trump said. "Never, ever, ever give up. Things will work out just fine."

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
link   seeder  JohnRussell    7 years ago

My guess is he hasn't seen anything yet. 

Randy
Sophomore Participates
link   Randy  replied to  JohnRussell   7 years ago

Every one of his wounds has been self-inflicted. It's like he keeps shooting himself in the foot and then blaming others that it hurts.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal

"And, of course, there was also the American president who was forced to spend significant time and mental energy during his term refuting a white-nationalist reality-TV idiot's repeated, baseless allegations that, because he was black, he must have been born in Africa. Pretty raw deal for that guy, too."

Kavika
Professor Principal
link   Kavika     7 years ago

Our Whiner in Chief is at it again..Whine, whine and more whining, what a fucking snowflake.

Petey Coober
Freshman Silent
link   Petey Coober  replied to  Kavika   7 years ago

I think Trump is getting more early flack than almost all previously elected pols . There is NO waiting for things to settle out for results . So , not whining ...

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
link   seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  Kavika   7 years ago

The fact that he was a birther who paraded that idiocy in public for months and months should have , in and of itself, disqualified him for consideration for the presidency. Not to mention his hundreds of other flaws. The truth is he has been treated well up until the last few weeks. 

JohnRussell
Professor Principal

Trump should picture himself on the receiving end of Harry Truman's comment-

I never give them hell. I just tell the truth and they think it's hell. ... “

Randy
Sophomore Participates
link   Randy    7 years ago

laughing dude laughing dude laughing dude Has he never heard the name Obama?

TTGA
Professor Silent
link   TTGA  replied to  Randy   7 years ago

Not even close.  There was no organized campaign to bring Obama down by deliberately making the country ungovernable.  Obama had almost all of his Cabinet approved within the first month.  Two of his Supreme Court nominees were approved without major problems.  Almost all of his lower level appointees were approved as a matter of course.  All of those things have happened to Trump, none of them happened to Obama.

Randy
Sophomore Participates
link   Randy  replied to  TTGA   7 years ago

There has been no organized campaign to bring Trump down. There was with Obama (just ask McConnell). That is a right wing fantasy. All of his wounds so far have been purely self inflicted. All of his cabinet positions were approved as soon as he submitted them, it just took him forever to submit them and he still hasn't submitted more then 400 of the lower level ones to BE approved. As for the Supreme Court Justice, it was the GOP who held that position up for several months, not the Democrats.

Cerenkov
Professor Silent
link   Cerenkov  replied to  Randy   7 years ago

"There has been no organized campaign to bring Trump down."

BWAH HA HA! There are none so blind as those who will not see.

TTGA
Professor Silent

There has been no organized campaign to bring Trump down.

LIKE HELL!!  The Democrats all say the same things, often using the same words, at the same time.  They have received their talking points and they repeat them over and over.  That is a textbook case of an organized effort. 

If you tell a big enough lie and repeat it often enough, people will start to believe it to be the truth.  Dr. Joseph Goebbels, Minister of Information in Nazi Germany.

I'd guess that somebody read his book, not surprising since it's standard reading in any class about propaganda.

Randy
Sophomore Participates
link   Randy  replied to  TTGA   7 years ago

Asked and answered. Dismissed.

TTGA
Professor Silent

Talking point answers.  Totally worthless.

Cerenkov
Professor Silent
link   Cerenkov  replied to  TTGA   7 years ago

Exactly. The un-American resistance to our elected president is unprecedented. Sad.

magnoliaave
Sophomore Quiet
link   magnoliaave    7 years ago

And, it is true.  Not even Obama was treated like this.  It is disgraceful! 

Cerenkov
Professor Silent
link   Cerenkov  replied to  magnoliaave   7 years ago

Well said. The liberals went pretty low after their humiliating electoral drubbing.

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
link   Sean Treacy  replied to  Cerenkov   7 years ago

Stalin would blush at these attempt to rewrite history.

It's just so ridiculously easy to rebut. This is the head of the Democratic Party 30 days into Trump's tenure:

"We will be able to say that the Democratic Party led the resistance and made sure this was a one-term president.”

pat wilson
Professor Participates
link   pat wilson  replied to  magnoliaave   7 years ago

Not even Obama was treated like this.

Obama is ten times the man Trump is. Of course he wasn't treated this bad.

Randy
Sophomore Participates
link   Randy    7 years ago

He stands in front of those Coast Guard Graduates and is supposed to give them an inspirational message and to congratulate them on the hard work of the four years they have just put in and instead he makes it about himself and politics. About himself whining about "poor me". Disgusting.

Cerenkov
Professor Silent
link   Cerenkov  replied to  Randy   7 years ago

The president delivered a political speech?! How unexpected! 

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
link   Sean Treacy  replied to  Randy   7 years ago

It's just too easy..

etc etc etc...

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
link   Perrie Halpern R.A.    7 years ago

Wait.. this is too funny. Wasn't he talking about doing away with the Coasties? I sent this to my daughters boyfriend, ex coastie, and he was amused. 

Krishna
Professor Expert
link   Krishna  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A.   7 years ago

Wait.. this is too funny. Wasn't he talking about doing away with the Coasties? I sent this to my daughters boyfriend, ex coastie, and he was amused. 

I think there a few similar examples. It seems that he knows his hard-core supporters will forhget-- or not even notice-- things like that.

In fact, he's probably contradicted himself more than any president I can remember. 

During the campaign he went on and on about bad trade deals-- but especially with China. He was obsessed with how China was taking advantage of us. (Then he met with the Chinese leader who explained the Korean situation to him-- and it became obvious that while N Korea isn't easily influenced, the Chinese leader was probably the one person who could help...the two walked out of their meeting all lovey-dovey... great friends!).

But he obsession with China was beyond absurd:

Randy
Sophomore Participates
link   Randy  replied to  Krishna   7 years ago

Maybe he just can't decide what pattern of china he wants?

BTW, the NYT said this wasn't a keynote speech. It was a me-note speech.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
link   Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Randy   7 years ago

I thought it would be the wife of the POTUS who chooses the pattern.

Randy
Sophomore Participates
link   Randy  replied to  Buzz of the Orient   7 years ago

True, but he's probably been using the same china left by the Obama's since she hasn't moved in yet. Then there's the silver! Unless he has fallen back into his old habit of eating KFC, Big Macs and Taco Bell?

Randy
Sophomore Participates
link   Randy  replied to  Randy   7 years ago

Damn! Now I'm hungry!

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert

Do you mean he would choose disposable plastic silverware? That would save some water and soap.

Randy
Sophomore Participates

He might. I wonder if he recycles them? My wife uses those damned things and paper plates too. I hate them and bring metal forks and spoons and such even on picnics and things. Of course it means I get stuck washing the dishes. We have a dishwasher, but I never use it because it cost on electricity and water.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert

Only luxury homes here might have a clothes dryer and a dishwasher. Of course we have a washing machine, but here everyone hangs their clothes to dry in a sunny window or on their balcony. We're lucky in that our bigger balcony faces South. As for dishes, since I make most of the breakfasts (American style: bacon and eggs toast and coffee, French toast, banana pancakes, scrambled eggs with sauteed onions, hot cereal with hard boiled bird eggs and banana slices, cheese or mushroom omelettes, etc.) I also wash the dishes for that meal, which I don't mind doing. I actually find it relaxing.

Randy
Sophomore Participates

When we were growing up we had a washer and dryer, but in the summer hung the clothes outside on a clothesline because it was cheaper and the clothes smelled fresher. Most houses in the rural areas did that. Of course you couldn't do that in the winter or they would just freeze. LOL! My wife and I usually make food for ourselves, though it's usually just heating things up we have bought at the store or at delis. Sometimes it's microwave things or sometimes it's things we bought at hot food bars in some stores and refrigerate until we want them.

I used to cook a lot more, but not so much these days. My Wife Does Not Cook At All! I used to do a lot of Pot Roast, Boiled Cabbage and Veggies, BBQ Pork or Chicken, Spaghetti and Meatballs, Beef or Chicken Kabobs, etc., and always made the Turkey and side dishes for Thanksgiving. But I don't think I've made anything ambitious in the three plus years since we've moved to here more then 3 years ago. Not sure why?

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert

I'm lucky that my wife is a fabulous cook - most of her dishes are of course Chinese, but you probably know that the Chinese dishes in North America bear little resemblance to the ones here. She grew up on a farm and is extremely knowledgeable about vegetables, some of which you will not find anywhere but China.  She can wander through a wild field for half an hour and come back with enough edible greens for a meal.

Randy
Sophomore Participates

There is a place in L.A. called Rock Sugar that bills itself as a "Pan Asian Kitchen" and they serve not just Chinese, but also Vietnamese and Thai food. It's food (bit expensive) is fantastic and it must be pretty close to authentic as, along with the usual yuppie/business types, there are always a lot of said Chinese, Vietnamese and Thais there. The food is served family style in pots and on large plates so it is meant for sharing. It is one of the places I miss the most about L.A. is the wide variety of great restaurants!

1ofmany
Sophomore Silent
link   1ofmany    7 years ago

If he's talking about the media, then he's right. The media was clearly pro-Obama and now it's anti-Trump. On the other hand, he has made it a point to do everything his way. He really can't expect to be treated like other presidents when he doesn't act like them. 

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
link   seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  1ofmany   7 years ago

now it's anti-Trump.

Everyone in the country should be anti-Trump. He has no more business being president than a name randomly plucked from a phone book. 

How many times do we have to go over this?  Do you think simply complaining about "liberals" is going to make this a-hole qualified to be president? 

Nothing on earth will. And he won't change nor does he want to change. He will keep embarrassing the country and endangering people and programs until he is impeached. Which he will be, It is a certainty given his propensities. 

Randy
Sophomore Participates
link   Randy  replied to  JohnRussell   7 years ago

Well, at least he's the greatest thing that has ever happened to George W. Bush! He used to be the worst President of the modern era, but not any longer!Laugh