╌>

'Snortable chocolate that gives ecstacy-like buzz is being marketed like a drug', US senator claims

Category:  Now Trending

Via:  community  •  7 years ago  •  21 comments

'Snortable chocolate that gives ecstacy-like buzz is being marketed like a drug', US senator claims

By Sean Morrison, Evening Standard, July 9 2017

chocolate high.jpg
Food and drug regulators are being urged to review a “snortable chocolate” powder that is reportedly being marketed like a legal high.

US Senator Charles Schumer said there are too many unanswered questions about the inhalable food product and asked the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) to launch an investigation.

The New York Democrat said the new product, called Coco Loko, has “no clear health value”, and that he can’t think of “a single parent” who would think of allowing their children to use it.

The bizarre treat promises feelings of well-being, ecstasy-like euphoria and a rush of "motivation that is great for partygoers to dance the night away without a crash," according to the company's website.

Mr Schumer said in statement: "This suspect product has no clear health value," adding: "I can't think of a single parent who thinks it is a good idea for their children to be snorting over-the-counter stimulants up their noses."

Marketed as "raw cacao snuff," Coco Loko, produced by Orlando, Florida-based company Legal Lean, includes cacao powder containing caffeine.

Manufacturer Legal Lean Co. doesn't detail other ingredients online, but according to local reports, Coco Loko also includes common energy-drink ingredients.

The FDA said it hasn't yet determined whether it has authority to regulate snortable chocolate.

Legal Lean Co., which sells Coco Loko online for $19.99 for a 3.5-gram in, did not return a call seeking comment.

Founder Nick Anderson has said he didn't consult any medical professionals but believes Coco Loko is safe.

He said he developed it from snortable chocolate that's circulated in Europe in recent years.

"There's really no negative publicity, so I felt we're good to go," he told ABC on Thursday.

Doctors have said they're not certain what the effects of inhaling chocolate might be.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
link   seeder  Buzz of the Orient    7 years ago

At my age, I thought I'd seen almost everything, but sure as hell I'm wrong. I wonder if anyone has tried cinnamon powder yet.

Kavika
Professor Principal
link   Kavika     7 years ago

gives ecstacy-like buzz

I cannot pass up a freebie like that....Buzz, are you a investor in Legal Lean...What are you hiding by friend. 

Back to the article..American is a nation of druggies and it gets worse every day. 

Chocolate, what next...I'm afraid to think what it will be.

Nona62
Professor Silent
link   Nona62  replied to  Kavika   7 years ago

Strawberry ??

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
link   seeder  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Kavika   7 years ago

Come on, Kavika, I gave up any of that kind of stuff decades ago.

Kavika
Professor Principal
link   Kavika   replied to  Buzz of the Orient   7 years ago

Kavika gives Buzz the stink eye....Your sure of that are you Buzz..

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
link   seeder  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Kavika   7 years ago

Kavika, I hardly ever even touch wine and beer any more - don't have any in my home - due to now being prone to suffering from gout. If you have ever suffered from gout yet, you would do without a lot of things you might have enjoyed before.

Spikegary
Junior Quiet
link   Spikegary  replied to  Buzz of the Orient   7 years ago

I didn't know Buzz was like Ecstasy.  And....Okay, I'm not going any further down that path.......

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
link   seeder  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Spikegary   7 years ago

I was dubbed with the nickname "Buzzy" (shortened to Buzz) LONG before I knew it had anything to do with the many meanings the word has now.  To me, it was the sound of Spitfire fighter planes during WWII, when I was 4 years old in kindergarten.

Enoch
Masters Quiet
link   Enoch    7 years ago

Dear Friend Buzz: At our age, just when we think we have seen it all, we found out not!

Enoch, Snorting Atmospheric Oxygen.  

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet
link   Dowser    7 years ago

Is there any limit to what people will stuff up their nose to get high?  Now, Chocolate?

What a waste of good chocolate!

TTGA
Professor Silent
link   TTGA  replied to  Dowser   7 years ago

Dowser,

You could take a pile of dog crap, dry it, powder it and tell those yahoos that it will make them high when they snort it; and they will do so.  Despite the pretensions that they like to put forward, most dopers are not deep thinkers.

Hmmmm, there may be a marketing idea there, and it's not even illegal.

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet
link   Dowser  replied to  TTGA   7 years ago

LOL, TTGA!

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
link   Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Dowser   7 years ago

Probably so TTGA

pat wilson
Professor Participates
link   pat wilson    7 years ago

Is there any limit to what people will stuff up their nose to get high?  Now, Chocolate?

Lol ! This is pretty mild when you think of the stories of people stuffing lord-knows-what up various orifices.  

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
link   Hal A. Lujah    7 years ago

Legal Lean Co., which sells Coco Loko online for $19.99 for a 3.5-gram in, did not return a call seeking comment.

Back when I partied, coke was like $100/gram.  If this crap is 17 times cheaper, does that mean you have to do 17 lines to get a buzz equal to one line of coke?  

sixpick
Professor Quiet
link   sixpick    7 years ago

Doctors have said they're not certain what the effects of inhaling chocolate might be.

Brown nose.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
link   Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  sixpick   7 years ago

LOL