╌>

His Grandfather Was Born 228 Years Ago

Category:  Now Trending

Via:  johnrussell  •  6 years ago  •  13 comments

His Grandfather Was Born 228 Years Ago

It sounds crazy , but there is a man alive today whose grandfather was born in 1790, just one year after the US Constitution was ratified. 

-

John Tyler was the first vice president elevated to the presidency on the death of the chief executive and the first president to marry in the White House. Nearly 175 years later, two of his grandchildren are still around.

Harrison Ruffin Tyler, 89, is one of two living grandsons of President John Tyler, who was born in 1790, one year after George Washington was sworn in as president.

Just three generations -- President Tyler, his son Lyon Tyler, and grandson Harrison -- span almost the entire history of the United States.

We met Harrison and his son William at President Tyler's Virginia estate. We asked William if people find it hard to believe that his father is the grandson of the 10th president.

0306-reid-ender-material2.jpg

William and Harrison Tyler

CBS NEWS

"I find it hard to believe," he laughed. "I think it had to do with second wives."

Here's how it happened. John Tyler became president in 1841. He had eight children with his first wife, who died while he was in office. At 52, he married 22-year-old Julia Gardiner. They had seven children, for a total of 15 -- the most of any president. He was 63 when son Lyon Tyler was born, whose first wife also died. Lyon also had a very young second wife, and was 75 years old when Harrison Tyler was born in 1928.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/how-two-of-president-john-tylers-grandsons-are-still-alive/

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1  seeder  JohnRussell    6 years ago

Grandpa

See the source image

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
2  Paula Bartholomew    6 years ago

Amazing story.  I can see the family resemblance. 

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
2.1  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @2    6 years ago

I thought it was rather interesting. Apparently you and I were the only ones Paula. 

Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom
Professor Guide
2.1.1  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom  replied to  JohnRussell @2.1    6 years ago
I thought it was rather interesting. Apparently you and I were the only ones Paula

Calm down, ya sniveler.  I only just now saw it.

That said...this is an incredibly cool article.  Thanks for posting it.   

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
2.1.2  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  JohnRussell @2.1    6 years ago

Now you can never criticize me again for being impatient when nobody comments on my articles. LOL

By the way, I did find this one interesting - thanks for posting it.

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
2.1.3  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  JohnRussell @2.1    6 years ago

If you seed it, they will come. :)

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
2.1.4  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom @2.1.1    6 years ago

geek

charger 383
Professor Silent
2.1.5  charger 383  replied to  JohnRussell @2.1    6 years ago

enjoyed the article

Kavika
Professor Principal
3  Kavika     6 years ago

That is amazing....

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
3.1  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  Kavika @3    6 years ago

It kind of makes you wonder how many more examples like this exist, just not with the tag of a former President of the US being involved. 

Kavika
Professor Principal
3.1.1  Kavika   replied to  JohnRussell @3.1    6 years ago

The best that I can do is one grandfather was born 1875 give or take a couple of years. His father, my great grandfather was born in 1820 or so..

My grandfather fought in one of the last of the Indian wars. Sugar Point, Leech Lake MN. 1898.  On the Indian side of course..We won BTW. LOL

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
4  Sean Treacy    6 years ago

It's a crazy story.

Tyler was an interesting guy, above and beyond having the 15 kids. A President without a party. 

pat wilson
Professor Participates
5  pat wilson    6 years ago

Amazing nose ! smile