╌>

Train Carrying 10M Pounds of Poop Stuck in Alabama Town

Category:  The Lighter Side/ Humor

Via:  randy  •  6 years ago  •  118 comments

Train Carrying 10M Pounds of Poop Stuck in Alabama Town

11735281120180405062309.jpeg

By  Rob Quinn ,  Newser Staff

'God help us if it gets hot and this material is still out here'

(NEWSER)   – Springtime in one small Alabama town smells more like manure than magnolias this year—and it's going to get a lot worse as the weather gets warmer. Dozens of freight cars carrying some 10 million pounds of human waste, enough to form a malodorous train more than a mile long, have been stranded in a Parrish rail yard for two months awaiting transfer to a landfill site, and residents say they can't take the stench for much longer,   NJ.com   reports. They say the freight cars smell like rotting corpses. The sewage sludge waste, shipped south from treatment plants in New York and New Jersey, is destined for a private landfill in Adamsville that has been accepting "biosolids" for more than a year. But nearby West Jefferson sued in January to prevent the foul-smelling waste from being handled at a local rail yard where the containers had been moved to trucks that would get the waste to the landfill.

And so the cars were shifted to Parrish, which didn't have zoning laws to prevent the move, and now they sit. Residents say the foul odor pervades the town, which has a population of 982 in 2 square miles. "It greatly reduces the quality of life," Mayor Heather Hall tells   CNN . "You can't sit out on your porch. Kids can't go outside and play, and God help us if it gets hot and this material is still out here." She says the landfill told her it would take about a week to get the waste shipped out—but that was months ago. She says she is worried about the health of residents, though officials have told her that since the waste is "Grade A biowaste," not raw sewage, there should be no problems.

http://www.newser.com/story/257479/train-full-of-poop-from-nj-ny-stuck-in-alabama-town.html?utm_source=part&utm_medium=earthlink&utm_campaign=rss_topnews

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Randy
Sophomore Participates
1  seeder  Randy    6 years ago

Pretty shitty way to have to spend your spring. And just curious, why doesn't New York keep it's own shit? Are they pay a lot to send to Alabama. And since when did Alabama decide to become a shitty state?

26687415vectorpoopillustration.jpg

Kavika
Professor Principal
1.1  Kavika   replied to  Randy @1    6 years ago

Many cities and states do this Randy. It's also a huge problem worldwide, the developing nations being the dumping ground for industralied countires. 

Randy
Sophomore Participates
1.1.1  seeder  Randy  replied to  Kavika @1.1    6 years ago

I've heard about that, but I was a little surprised to here of another state in the U.S. selling space in it's state for the dumping of human shit from another state. I would expect that a state like NY would find a way to process their own shit somehow?

sixpick
Professor Quiet
1.1.2  sixpick  replied to  Kavika @1.1    6 years ago

That link is absolutely disgusting.  I'm a firm believer of recycling and cleaning up after ourselves, but it doesn't seem to be contagious.  Over the last few years I see people dumping crap right out the doors of their vehicles at stop lights.

TTGA
Professor Silent
1.1.3  TTGA  replied to  Randy @1.1.1    6 years ago
I would expect that a state like NY would find a way to process their own shit somehow?

They used to put it on barges and dump it at sea, then the EPA made them stop.  Now, they export it to other States.  Too many people in too small an area; that's why I stay away from big cities.  Now, it's not enough; you now have to stay away from any place that does business with big cities.

What could be an even worse problem is if those rail cars are put back into general service hauling grain or something.

sixpick
Professor Quiet
1.1.5  sixpick  replied to  TTGA @1.1.3    6 years ago

Corn Flakes and Manure train cars edited 001.jpg

epistte
Junior Guide
1.1.6  epistte  replied to  TTGA @1.1.3    6 years ago
What could be an even worse problem is if those rail cars are put back into general service hauling grain or something.

These railcars are custom fabricated for refuse duty.   Grain is transported in covered hopper cars. Finished goods are transported in either box cars or intermodal cars.

Spikegary
Junior Quiet
1.1.7  Spikegary  replied to  Randy @1.1.1    6 years ago

Kind of like we get stuck with a lot of the nation's chemical waste here in New York.  Not sure why they can't process, but fortunately for me, I'm not an expert in shit.  Might ask a couple people around here-they seem full of it....

TTGA
Professor Silent
1.1.8  TTGA  replied to  epistte @1.1.6    6 years ago

I know that epistte.  That was a joke; a pretty funny one actually.

epistte
Junior Guide
1.1.9  epistte  replied to  TTGA @1.1.8    6 years ago

I have an extremely dry sense of humor but your reply did not come across as being funny.IMVHO

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
1.1.10  Trout Giggles  replied to  Spikegary @1.1.7    6 years ago
Might ask a couple people around here-they seem full of it....

You rang?

devangelical
Professor Principal
1.2  devangelical  replied to  Randy @1    6 years ago

Wow. Who knew the tea party think tank was mobile.

Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom
Professor Guide
1.2.1  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom  replied to  devangelical @1.2    6 years ago

chuckle

Spikegary
Junior Quiet
1.2.2  Spikegary  replied to  devangelical @1.2    6 years ago

And here's candidate number 1.

devangelical
Professor Principal
1.2.3  devangelical  replied to  Spikegary @1.2.2    6 years ago

Off topic. This article is about #2.

MrFrost
Professor Expert
1.3  MrFrost  replied to  Randy @1    6 years ago
And since when did Alabama decide to become a shitty state?

They always have been. Any state that would push people to vote for a known pedophile like roy moore is a shitty state. 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.3.1  Texan1211  replied to  MrFrost @1.3    6 years ago

States don't endorse candidates.

MrFrost
Professor Expert
1.3.2  MrFrost  replied to  Texan1211 @1.3.1    6 years ago

[eye roll]

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.3.3  Texan1211  replied to  MrFrost @1.3.2    6 years ago

Do you wish to dispute what I posted?

Skrekk
Sophomore Participates
1.3.4  Skrekk  replied to  Texan1211 @1.3.1    6 years ago

Alabama is a shitty state precisely because it's controlled by conservatives and bible-babblers.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.3.5  Texan1211  replied to  Skrekk @1.3.4    6 years ago

Not one of your smarter, more intelligent posts.

Is Alabama decidedly different now than it was 50 years ago?

Spikegary
Junior Quiet
1.3.6  Spikegary  replied to  MrFrost @1.3    6 years ago

And we now have candidate number 2.

Spikegary
Junior Quiet
1.3.7  Spikegary  replied to  Skrekk @1.3.4    6 years ago

And..... .candidate number 3

epistte
Junior Guide
1.3.8  epistte  replied to  Texan1211 @1.3.5    6 years ago

Alabama was 50 years behind the time 50 years ago and now it is 75 years behind the time because other states have moved forward while Alabama stagnates in the 1890s.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.3.9  Texan1211  replied to  epistte @1.3.8    6 years ago

Silly.

Why would Democrats allow their state to fall so far behind?

epistte
Junior Guide
1.3.10  epistte  replied to  Texan1211 @1.3.9    6 years ago
Why would Democrats allow their state to fall so far behind?

Alabama has always been a conservative state. The Dixiecrats switched from being democratic to GOP when the DNC supported the 1964 Civil Rights Amendment.  The Southern Strategy flipped the Dixiecrats to being Republicans. Reagan finished that job when he appealed to the evangelical voters.

Skrekk
Sophomore Participates
1.3.11  Skrekk  replied to  Texan1211 @1.3.5    6 years ago

Not really.   It still seems to be controlled by bigoted white conservative morons.

magnoliaave
Sophomore Quiet
1.3.12  magnoliaave  replied to  Skrekk @1.3.11    6 years ago

You left out some very important adjectives. Having lived here since 1973 coming from LA to this Great State, I am not only those, but racist, illiterate, and a red neck coon ass.  Love sitting on the pier fishing and crabbing on Mobile Bay.  My home fronts on the Bay and not too bad considering that my family never owned a slave.

Episette should be enlightened to a degree.  We fought tooth and nail to take our State away from Wallace and his cartel.  BS on the evangelicans. 

Alabama is poor economically. 

Notice"   We do not want your Northern, Eastern folks retiring to Alabama.  Our borders are full of your complaining about everything.  If lunch is $2.50 you want it on $1.50.   All you do is complain.......stay home.

Sweet Home Alabama with 20 tons of NY and NJ shit. 

epistte
Junior Guide
1.3.13  epistte  replied to  magnoliaave @1.3.12    6 years ago
We fought tooth and nail to take our State away from Wallace and his cartel.

If you fought so hard to get away from the ideas of George Wallace then why do social fossils such as Jeff Sessions and then Roy Moore have such strong support in your very conservative state?

You don't have to worry about me visiting or retiring to Sweet Home Alabama. I don't like hot humid weather and I plan to move forward when I retire and not backward 50  years. 

magnoliaave
Sophomore Quiet
1.3.14  magnoliaave  replied to  epistte @1.3.13    6 years ago

Thank you......praise God you will not be moving here.

Jeff Sessions is great.  Beats the hell out of your want to be "of the people and for the people"

epistte
Junior Guide
1.3.15  epistte  replied to  magnoliaave @1.3.14    6 years ago
Beats the hell out of your want to be "of the people and for the people"

There goes your claim of opposing the Christian evangelicals in Alabama if you support Jeff Beauregard Sessions. He would turn the country back 75 years if he had his way.

Sherrod Brown is a moderate in my eyes. Rob Portman is a GOP soldier who talks like a reasonable moderate when he needs a public statement, but when it comes to the vote he a is a party-line hack.

magnoliaave
Sophomore Quiet
1.3.16  magnoliaave  replied to  epistte @1.3.15    6 years ago

That's just your opinion......how much is it worth?

epistte
Junior Guide
1.3.17  epistte  replied to  magnoliaave @1.3.16    6 years ago
That's just your opinion......how much is it worth?

Probably less than a nickel, unless you find someone who is willing to pay more. 

Do you feel threatened by my opinions?

magnoliaave
Sophomore Quiet
1.3.18  magnoliaave  replied to  epistte @1.3.17    6 years ago

No aa most of the time I laugh/

Skrekk
Sophomore Participates
1.3.19  Skrekk  replied to  magnoliaave @1.3.14    6 years ago

I presume you voted for Roy Moore too, eh?

devangelical
Professor Principal
1.3.20  devangelical  replied to  Skrekk @1.3.19    6 years ago

You know it.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.3.21  Texan1211  replied to  Skrekk @1.3.11    6 years ago

So you are bitching that the Dems didn't do anything for Alabama?

Skrekk
Sophomore Participates
1.3.22  Skrekk  replied to  Texan1211 @1.3.21    6 years ago

Didn't the Dems just advance Alabama by winning a special election against a bigoted and theocratic Republican?

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.3.23  Texan1211  replied to  epistte @1.3.10    6 years ago

Name 5 Democrats who switched parties.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.3.24  Texan1211  replied to  epistte @1.3.10    6 years ago

If that were true, there would have been no way that Democrats would have continued to control Alabama into the 1980's.

Skrekk
Sophomore Participates
1.3.25  Skrekk  replied to  Texan1211 @1.3.23    6 years ago
Name 5 Democrats who switched parties.

You mean like Strom Thurmond, David Duke, Roy Moore, Miles Godwin and Jesse Helms?    I think conservatives today are in deep denial about the southern political realignment.    It's far simpler to look at racist, homophobic or misogynistic organizations like the SBC and compare their political affiliation today to what they were 60 years ago.    There's a very good reason why hate groups like the FRC are affiliated with the GOP, why the south is a solid block of red states today, and why the GOP is so blindingly white.

epistte
Junior Guide
1.3.26  epistte  replied to  Texan1211 @1.3.24    6 years ago
If that were true, there would have been no way that Democrats would have continued to control Alabama into the 1980's.

Alabama turned solidly Republican by the late 1980s.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.3.27  Texan1211  replied to  epistte @1.3.26    6 years ago

yes--the 1980's.

If the Democrats switched parties after the Civil Rights Act passed in 1965, it would logically stand to reason that the Republicans would have started control MUCH earlier than 20+ years later.

After all, the Democrats controlled the entire South for decades. If they switched and joined the Republican party, as most on the left claim, why would a Democrat continue winning elections in the late 60's, all through the 70's, and most of the 80's?

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.3.28  Texan1211  replied to  Skrekk @1.3.25    6 years ago

David Duke didn't switch to the GOP until December of 1988. Before that, he was a Democrat, but after failing to win a nomination, he switched to the Populist Party for one campaign. His first campaign as a member of the GOP didn't happen until 1992.

Hardly a switch in the 1960's because of the Civil Rights Act.

Godwin ran as a Democrat in 1966--then ran as a Republican in 1973. He was the first person elected Governor as both a Democrat and a Republican.

Still not much evidence that Southern Democrats switched parties because of the passage of the Civil Rights Act. 

I know Democrats would like to entertain the notion that Southern Democrats all switched parties, but the facts clearly state otherwise.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.3.29  Texan1211  replied to  Skrekk @1.3.25    6 years ago

Furthermore:

Of the known Dixiecrats, only three switched parties becoming Republicans: Strom Thurmond, Jesse Helms and Mills E. Godwin, Jr.

Well-established Democratic incumbents, however, still held sway over voters in many states, especially in Deep South. Although Republicans won most presidential elections in Southern states starting in 1964, Democrats controlled nearly every Southern state legislature until the mid-1990s and had continued to hold power over Southern politics until 2010. It wasn't until the 1990s that Democratic control began to implode, starting with the elections of 1994, in which Republicans gained control of both houses of Congress, through the rest of the decade. By the mid-1990s, however, the political value of the race card was evaporating and many Republicans began to court African Americans by playing on their vast dedication to Christian conservatism.[9]

Now, if so many Democrats switched parties, as Democrats LOVE to claim, how did they manage to keep winning election after election after election?

Skrekk
Sophomore Participates
1.3.30  Skrekk  replied to  Texan1211 @1.3.28    6 years ago

David Duke didn't switch to the GOP until December of 1988. Before that, he was a Democrat, but after failing to win a nomination, he switched to the Populist Party for one campaign. His first campaign as a member of the GOP didn't happen until 1992.

Hardly a switch in the 1960's because of the Civil Rights Act.

LOL - who said it happened just in the 1960s or just because of the CRA?    It happened over several decades as the two parties switched positions on a number of fundamental issues starting in the New Deal era.    The GOP's racist "southern strategy" and the GOP's marriage to the bible-babblers both happened well after the CRA and VRA were enacted, they merely pushed the realignment along a bit faster.    Plus there's lots of inertia on party affiliation.......heck, a Dixiecrat like Kim Davis didn't even get the message until 2016.

As far as David Duke goes, it's very telling that he couldn't win election as a Dem but did as a Republican.   That shows that the party affiliation switch was essentially a fait accomplis in Louisiana by 1989, at least from the standpoint of broad electoral demographics.

And in another benighted confederate state Roy Moore didn't even switch parties until 1992 despite literally being a neoconfederate and theocrat who has hosted meetings for white supremacist groups.

You should read the article I cited up thread because it exposes a number of misconceptions and falsehoods which conservatives hold on this issue.    And as I said the political affiliation of bigoted groups like the SBC and the FRC is a far better indication than the affiliation of any one politician.

epistte
Junior Guide
1.3.31  epistte  replied to  Texan1211 @1.3.27    6 years ago
After all, the Democrats controlled the entire South for decades. If they switched and joined the Republican party, as most on the left claim, why would a Democrat continue winning elections in the late 60's, all through the 70's, and most of the 80's?

There was an exodus before the 1964 Civil Rights Act but the passage of that legislation sealed the fate of the Dem, Democrats being the dominant party of the American southeast.  The switch of the conservatives from the Democrats to the GOP was finished by the late 1980s.  Those southern conservative Democrats were not the same platform as the northern liberal democrats or even blue dog democrats.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.3.32  Texan1211  replied to  epistte @1.3.31    6 years ago

Spin it all you want, but the Southern Democrats didn't move en masse to the GOP.

Had they, Democrats would NOT have been able to keep winning elections and the South wouldn't have been so Democratic-run for so long.

I know that Democrats of today don't like to be reminded of their racist members.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.3.33  Texan1211  replied to  Skrekk @1.3.30    6 years ago

Is anyone who can or does quote the Bible become a "bible babbler" to you?

Can you just post without insulting people's beliefs?

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.3.34  Texan1211  replied to  Skrekk @1.3.30    6 years ago

Who said it?

Have you read the comments?

Dismayed Patriot
Professor Quiet
1.3.35  Dismayed Patriot  replied to  Texan1211 @1.3.32    6 years ago
Spin it all you want, but the Southern Democrats didn't move en masse to the GOP.

So apparently you believe all those bigots and racists in the south whose ancestors fought for slavery and they themselves fought tooth and nail against the civil rights act and voting rights act just up and moved out of their home States? How is it that they are ALL Republican strongholds now unless all those bigots and racists moved away or died? You have to be seriously brain dead to not see how the GOP capitalized on the northern Democrat decision to support the civil rights act and voting rights act.

Note:   "Southern", as used in this section, refers to members of Congress from the eleven states that made up the   Confederate States of America   in the   American Civil War . "Northern" refers to members from the other 39 states, regardless of the geographic location of those states.

The original House version:

• Southern Democrats : 7–87   (7– 93% )
  • Southern Republicans : 0–10   (0– 100% )
  • Northern Democrats: 145–9   (94–6%)
  • Northern Republicans: 138–24   (85–15%)

The Senate version:

• Southern Democrats : 1–20   (5– 95% )
  • Southern Republicans : 0–1   (0– 100% )
  • Northern Democrats: 45–1   (98–2%) 
  • Northern Republicans: 27–5   (84–16%)

But really, trying to define racism by party is ignorant because racists can and have changed party affiliation many times in the last 240 years of our history. Not only that, but there have been multiple groups with very different agendas who have shared party names at time such as the 1860 Presidential election where there was a "Southern Democrat" party with their candidate for President, a hard line supporter of slavery, John C. Breckinridge and an abolitionist "Northern democrat" candidate named Stephen A. Douglas. The only consistent throughout the years is that those who fought to defend slavery, fought for segregation, fought to prevent women and blacks from voting, fought the civil rights and voting rights act, fought to protect their bans on interracial marriage and fought to protect bans on gay marriage, have always considered themselves "conservatives". Those who fought for equal rights, supported the removal of Jim Crow laws, fought for women's suffrage, fought to allow blacks a voice and a vote, fought for the civil rights and voting rights acts, fought against bans on interracial marriage and fought against bans on gay marriage consider themselves liberals or progressives.

History tells us who has won and who has lost, and the result is always the same which is why conservatives are so bitter and angry. They lost the civil war and every other war they waged against civil rights. It didn't happen overnight, conservatives won many battles, but they never win the war. Logic, reason and equality always eventually win the war even if it takes us a hundred years.

Skrekk
Sophomore Participates
1.3.36  Skrekk  replied to  Texan1211 @1.3.33    6 years ago
Is anyone who can or does quote the Bible become a "bible babbler" to you?

No, just bible-babblers like Kim Davis, Tony Perkins, Mike Pence and all the other conservatives and Christofascists who think their superstitions and sharia laws belong in other people's lives.

Most Christians aren't like that, but most Christians aren't conservative theocratic freaks.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.3.37  Texan1211  replied to  Dismayed Patriot @1.3.35    6 years ago

Spin, spin, spin.

Democrats simply don't want to be reminded that their party supported slavery and was the party which passed Jim Crow laws.

But it certainly wasn't the GOP who fought for slavery, nor did they pass Jim Crow laws.

it seems as though Democrats today wish to ignore that the Southern Democrats of yesteryear were all fine and good as long as they supplied the necessary votes to push the Democratic agenda, but then want to disown them when it comes to everything else.

Skrekk
Sophomore Participates
1.3.38  Skrekk  replied to  Texan1211 @1.3.37    6 years ago
But it certainly wasn't the GOP who fought for slavery, nor did they pass Jim Crow laws.

It was conservatives who did that.    No wonder the conservatives of today still want some Americans to be treated as 2nd-class citizens.....they've never supported equal rights for all.

It's also no wonder that the conservative party today is disproportionately white, Christian and male.   And any LGBT conservatives are usually deeply in the GOP's closet.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.3.39  Texan1211  replied to  Skrekk @1.3.38    6 years ago

Okay--conservative DEMOCRATS.

But Democrats of the North certainly didn't mind getting the Southern Dems to vote with them on other issues, and ensuring Democratic rule for 40 years, so I am not sure how appalling the Southern CONSERVATIVE Democrats were to the rest of the Democratic party.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.3.40  Texan1211  replied to  Skrekk @1.3.36    6 years ago

Then you should tone down your rhetoric and stop referring to anyone but those people specifically as bible babblers.

Skrekk
Sophomore Participates
1.3.41  Skrekk  replied to  Texan1211 @1.3.40    6 years ago
Then you should tone down your rhetoric and stop referring to anyone but those people specifically as bible babblers.

My rhetoric about bible-babblers concerns bible-babblers.   I think most Christians here understand that since they have similar complaints about these right-wing Christian extremists.

lib50
Professor Silent
1.3.42  lib50  replied to  Texan1211 @1.3.37    6 years ago

It's like you are totally ignoring the previous comments explaining how the racist democrats of yesterday became the republicans of today.  Do you not want to get it or are you just pretending it didn't happen? 

The South was once home to the "yellow dog Democrat" who would vote for a mutt over someone from the party of Abraham Lincoln. Now, the party of the Great Emancipator has made Dixie its bedrock, the base of its Electoral College vote and its majorities in Congress. Many a great-granddaddy buried in rebel gray has been rolling over in his grave for some years now.

The South's rejection of its Democratic DNA began more than 60 years ago with a Supreme Court decision, and significant historic milestones have followed like clockwork in almost every decade since. (The one exception was the 1970s, when Watergate torpedoed the Nixon presidency and led to the election of Jimmy Carter in 1976.)

After the Civil War , the Democratic party’s opposition to Republican Reconstruction legislation solidified its hold on the South.

“The Democratic party came to be more than a political party in the South—it came to be a defender of a way of life,” Goldfield says. “And that way of life was the restoration as much as possible of white supremacy … The Confederate statues you see all around were primarily erected by Democrats.”

Up until the post-World War II period, the party’s hold on the region was so entrenched that Southern politicians usually couldn’t get elected unless they were Democrats. But when President Harry S. Truman , a Democratic Southerner, introduced a pro-civil rights platform at the party’s 1948 convention, a faction walked out.

These defectors, known as the “Dixiecrats,” held a separate convention in Birmingham, Alabama. There, they nominated South Carolina Governor Strom Thurmond , a staunch opposer of civil rights, to run for president on their “States’ Rights” ticket. Although Thurmond lost the election to Truman, he still won over a million popular votes .

Skrekk
Sophomore Participates
1.3.43  Skrekk  replied to  lib50 @1.3.42    6 years ago
Do you not want to get it or are you just pretending it didn't happen?

Tex is trying to ignore the fact that all these bigoted southern conservatives states are a solid block of red today, and also ignore that his party's leader is a blatant racist who is supported by the KKK and neo-Nazis.......who even has white supremacists on his staff.    Tex is in denial about what his party actually is - a bigoted white stain on the nation.

Dismayed Patriot
Professor Quiet
1.3.44  Dismayed Patriot  replied to  Texan1211 @1.3.37    6 years ago
Democrats simply don't want to be reminded that their party supported slavery and was the party which passed Jim Crow laws.

Talk about spin. I have never denied that the majority of those who supported slavery considered themselves "Democrats" (though technically since there were two different parties using the same word, they considered themselves "Southern Democrats"), those who created the KKK considered themselves "Democrats". those who instituted segregation and Jim Crow laws considered themselves "Democrats".

I think what you're continuing to refuse to acknowledge is the definition of "Democrat".

Democrat: noun - 1. an advocate or supporter of democracy. 2.a member of the Democratic Party.

The Southern Democrats believed in a pure democracy, whatever the majority wanted, they should get, and that included legalized slavery. And there was also the Southern "Constitutional Union" party made up of conservative Whigs who were against secession who thought that a strict adherence to the US constitution while ignoring slavery completely would be the best option to avoid a coming conflict.
Northern Democrats believed in a constitutional democracy which would allow the majority rule with constitutional limits to protect certain minorities from the tyranny of the majority.
But since you can't seem to wrap your head around that simple concept, it's easier to point out that all of those fighting to preserve slavery or those who didn't want it addressed like the "Constitutional Union" party, considered themselves conservatives just like the Republicans who live in those same confederate State and confederate counties do today, just as their conservative Southern Democrat ancestors did.
Your attempt to label the modern Democrat party with all the ills done under the generic name for those who support democracy is akin to trying to ban all pencils because they used to contain lead which is know to cause brain damage. Sure, pencils haven't had lead in them and have used graphite since the 1500's but that might not stop some know nothing from labeling even pencils today as "dangerous!" and proclaiming "We must ban the Pencil Party for the damage it's done to society!".

epistte
Junior Guide
1.3.45  epistte  replied to  lib50 @1.3.42    6 years ago
These defectors, known as the “Dixiecrats,” held a separate convention in Birmingham, Alabama. There, they nominated South Carolina Governor Strom Thurmond, a staunch opposer of civil rights, to run for president on their “States’ Rights” ticket. Although Thurmond lost the election to Truman, he still won over a million popular votes.

Strom Thurmond is the grandfather of the racist TEAparty. Strom Thurmond was a racist till the very end.

In response, Thurmond created the States’ Rights Democrats, more commonly known as the Dixiecrats Party. “[T]here’s not enough troops in the Army to force the Southern people to break down segregation and admit the n***r race into our theatres, into our swimming pools, into our homes, and into our churches,” he said as in his first speech as the party’s presumptive president. It was the first toss in a game that would see virtually the entire South migrated to the GOP.

Thurmond and the South defected from the Democrats. Many soon-to-be conservatives (most still called themselves liberals) were motivated by “Cold War anticommunism, anti-labor politics, conservative religious beliefs and opposition to liberal church groups, criticism of judicial activism, and hyper-militarism.” One might add growing concerns about crime and maintaining law and order. All of these issues were intertwined with race in many Southerners’ minds, led by Strom Thurmond.

arkpdx
Professor Quiet
2  arkpdx    6 years ago

Rosie O'Donnell is stuck on a train somewhere? 

lennylynx
Sophomore Quiet
2.1  lennylynx  replied to  arkpdx @2    6 years ago

She's in one car and Trump's in the other.

arkpdx
Professor Quiet
2.1.1  arkpdx  replied to  lennylynx @2.1    6 years ago

no. The article said there 10,000,000 pounds stuck. That only leaves enough for her alone and she must have lost some weight .

MonsterMash
Sophomore Quiet
2.1.2  MonsterMash  replied to  arkpdx @2.1.1    6 years ago
no. The article said there 10,000,000 pounds stuck.

10,000,000 pounds of shit? It has to be Michael Moore.

charger 383
Professor Silent
3  charger 383    6 years ago

Trash trains are a regular move and they smell when they are on the move.  Standing and rotting it would be awful 

epistte
Junior Guide
3.1  epistte  replied to  charger 383 @3    6 years ago

I'd hate to be the crews assigned to pusher duty on a refuse train.  I hope those locomotives are modern air-conditioned units.

charger 383
Professor Silent
3.1.1  charger 383  replied to  epistte @3.1    6 years ago

Several years ago, I rode a steam powered excursion train over Horseshoe Curve in the Pennsylvania mountains.  At the top we had to wait for a train coming up and then cross over to the down track.   We stopped with the steam locomotive just outside the double track tunnel.  We were in the tunnel while a heavy trash train went by slowly.  What a smell!   

TTGA
Professor Silent
3.1.2  TTGA  replied to  epistte @3.1    6 years ago

Yuck.  I never thought of a pusher train.  That could be one really unpleasant ride for the crew.  Maybe that's why they can't move it, they can't find any volunteers to run the engine.

epistte
Junior Guide
3.1.3  epistte  replied to  TTGA @3.1.2    6 years ago

On long trains or in the mountains is is common to have 2-3 locomotives on the front with 2 older locomotives pushing from the rear to get the train over a hill. If they put all of the power on the front there is a risk of breaking couplers.

devangelical
Professor Principal
4  devangelical    6 years ago

I doubt that anyone notices the smell in that state.

MrFrost
Professor Expert
5  MrFrost    6 years ago
And so the cars were shifted to Parrish, which didn't have zoning laws to prevent the move,

What a shitty thing to do. 

MrFrost
Professor Expert
6  MrFrost    6 years ago
They say the freight cars smell like rotting corpses.

I have smelled rotting corpses, and picked them up for disposal. Take my word for it, the smell of shit and rotting corpses are not even remotely the same. 

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
8  Buzz of the Orient    6 years ago

Looking for a use for it?  Don't some farmers use human shit as fertilizer for crops?  Sage advice: Wash all your ground fruits and vegetables VERY carefully.

epistte
Junior Guide
8.1  epistte  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @8    6 years ago
Sage advice: Wash all your ground fruits and vegetables VERY carefully.

You can buy fertilizer made from human waste at most garden centers.

Milorganite. It is great fertilizer that doesn't burn plants or grass.

90 Years of Recycling

The production of Milorganite is one of the nation’s oldest recycling efforts. Since 1926, Milwaukee has safely recycled the nutrient-rich microbes resulting from the city’s water reclamation process into Milorganite slow-release nitrogen fertilizer. Consumers can safely apply these valuable recycled nutrients with plant growing power in the form of Milorganite.

Milwaukee Metropolitan Sewerage District: Solutions for a Cleaner Environment

Headquartered in Milwaukee, Wisconsin, Milorganite products are manufactured and marketed by the Milwaukee Metropolitan Sewerage District (MMSD) , a regional government agency whose primary focus is to provide water reclamation and flood management to the Greater Milwaukee area, servicing approximately 1.1 million customers in 28 communities. MMSD continues to be a national leader in green solutions and has transformed its approach to water management.

sixpick
Professor Quiet
8.1.1  sixpick  replied to  epistte @8.1    6 years ago

Note, this isn't raw sewage stuck in Alabama.  It has been treated.

T.Fargo
Freshman Silent
8.1.2  T.Fargo  replied to  epistte @8.1    6 years ago

Before I switched to an organic lawn service, I used milorganite.    It has a peculiar smell, but by no means an awful one.  The corn farmers around here do, however, use a "tea" made from cow manure.  They spread it during winter to minimize the raunch on the ranch, so to speak.  It's still 2 to 3 weeks of stank.

epistte
Junior Guide
8.1.3  epistte  replied to  T.Fargo @8.1.2    6 years ago
They spread it during winter to minimize the raunch on the ranch, so to speak.

I apply Milorganite to my lawn 3 times a year. There is a slight smell until the first rain and then it goes away. I like the fact that it doesn't burn the lawn and the green is consistent.

I also use Milorganite on my veggies and flower gardens. My roses get Espoma fertilizer. 

My neighbors hate it when I bring back 3x 5-gallon buckets of manure from the county fair to add to my compost pile and to dress the rose beds with. The roses love it but the neighbors are less than impressed.

Mark in Wyoming
Professor Silent
8.1.4  Mark in Wyoming   replied to  epistte @8.1.3    6 years ago

around here where I live , that's called "fresh country air"....

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
8.2  Trout Giggles  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @8    6 years ago

Can't be any worse than chicken manure. Now that stuff is rank

epistte
Junior Guide
8.2.1  epistte  replied to  Trout Giggles @8.2    6 years ago

Chicken is bad but piggy poo isn't far behind. There is a large hog operation about 3 miles west of me. Whenever they spread the manure of the fields it smells like all 3000 of them passed gas at the very same time. That stench is RANK!

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
8.2.2  Trout Giggles  replied to  epistte @8.2.1    6 years ago

I may sound like a shit connoisseur here, but horse is probably the best smelling. Chicken is the worst, followed by pig, then cow. I can't say that sheep smells all that bad, either.

epistte
Junior Guide
8.2.3  epistte  replied to  Trout Giggles @8.2.2    6 years ago

Horse poo is pretty benign. It's also fairly dry and easy to remove when I get it on my car or bike tires from the numerous local Amish buggies. 

Mark in Wyoming
Professor Silent
8.2.4  Mark in Wyoming   replied to  epistte @8.2.1    6 years ago

LMAO, talking about pig poo made me think of mad max beyond thunderdome , and master saying ," not shit, ENERGY!!!!!!" if we can only bottle it.....

Freefaller
Professor Quiet
8.2.5  Freefaller  replied to  Trout Giggles @8.2    6 years ago

Lol I have lived near both chicken and turkey farms and though you'd think they'd smell similar they don't, turkey is worse.

Randy
Sophomore Participates
8.2.6  seeder  Randy  replied to  Freefaller @8.2.5    6 years ago

Where I grew up in Michigan the farmers all used cow shit. Even on nice days when they were out on the fields hauling their shit spreaders around the field you drove with the windows up going back and forth to work and tended to avoid visiting friends out of town and invited them to met you at one of the two town taverns for the next week or two instead.

Skrekk
Sophomore Participates
8.2.7  Skrekk  replied to  Randy @8.2.6    6 years ago

I live at the base of a hill and my neighbors are farmers.   One day the valve on their manure tank got stuck open while they were driving on the road and I learned that shit flows downhill.

Pedro
Professor Participates
9  Pedro    6 years ago

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
9.1  Trout Giggles  replied to  Pedro @9    6 years ago

disgusting...but I laughed

devangelical
Professor Principal
10  devangelical    6 years ago

Looks like it's time for the annual Alabama Sons of the Confederacy Memorial Picnic.

Skrekk
Sophomore Participates
10.1  Skrekk  replied to  devangelical @10    6 years ago

Hosted by Roy Moore's Foundation for Christian Sharia Law.

devangelical
Professor Principal
10.1.1  devangelical  replied to  Skrekk @10.1    6 years ago

Speculation on the entertainment line up would probably get us both suspended.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
11  Texan1211    6 years ago

Spin, spin, spin.

it seems as though Democrats today wish to ignore that the Southern Democrats of yesteryear were all fine and good as long as they supplied the necessary votes to push the Democratic agenda, but then want to disown them when it comes to everything else.

Skrekk
Sophomore Participates
11.1  Skrekk  replied to  Texan1211 @11    6 years ago

It was southern conservatives who did that.    Seems like the only thing that's changed about southern conservatives in the last 150 years is their party affiliation.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
11.1.1  Texan1211  replied to  Skrekk @11.1    6 years ago

But Democrats were fine with the Southern Dems for DECADES--as long as they could supply the Dems with a stranglehold on Congress, right?

SMDH

Skrekk
Sophomore Participates
11.1.2  Skrekk  replied to  Texan1211 @11.1.1    6 years ago
But Democrats were fine with the Southern Dems for DECADES--as long as they could supply the Dems with a stranglehold on Congress, right?

There was definitely a huge difference between the liberal northern Dems and the conservative southern Dems, almost all of whom were bible-babblers.    But they did have common cause on labor issues, whether the US should get involved in WWII, etc.    I guess that's why they say that politics makes strange bedfellows.

But in the modern era it's only the GOP which nominated the racist King of the Birthers as its leader and which has the full support of the KKK and neo-Nazis.    According to the GOP's current leader white supremacists are "good people."

Explorerdog
Freshman Silent
12  Explorerdog    6 years ago

Interesting that so few know the difference between wastewater sludge which is the remains from the biological activity in processing sewage and human waste. If the sludge was acquired from essentially no industrial waste it is actually a good topical fertilizer.