╌>

William Shatner What I learned about life after a doctor told me I was going to die

Category:  Now Trending

Via:  perrie-halpern  •  6 years ago  •  61 comments

William Shatner What I learned about life after a doctor told me I was going to die
I have wandered aimlessly trying to comprehend death, but in 2016 I had a very different encounter with it after being misdiagnosed with prostate cancer.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

have lived a fortunate life. I, literally and proverbially, have been to the mountaintop. I have met the most extraordinary people and enjoyed the most amazing experiences. I have ridden horses across prairies and motorcycles across the country. I have watched the miracle of my children growing into adulthood. I have lived the entire spectrum of emotions; I have felt tremendous joy and the deepest pain; I have loved and hated; I have gone to the extremes and savored passions. I have felt ecstasy. I was born in 1931; in my lifetime I have witnessed the discovery of antibiotics and the elimination of dreaded diseases, I have seen the inventions of television and the Internet and the microwave; I have watched with awe the growth of commercial aviation as well as the NFL. Mine has been a life that has spanned eight decades of excitement and discovery and relationships and a lot of luck.

So I sure wasn't ready for it to end.

I have also seen death in its many forms. I have seen death in the natural order of things as my parents aged and died. I have seen the tragedy of accidental death as my wife died in a truly tragic event. I have seen the close and painful death from disease of my close friends. I have held my dying animals in my arms as their life slipped away. I have felt the pain of loss, the emptiness. I have attended more funerals than I can count; I have searched for the right words to console countless bereaved people. I have wandered aimlessly trying to comprehend death, realizing I could never understand it. But in 2016 I had an entirely different encounter with death.

Wait a second. This was something completely different. I had gotten very good at being sympathetic; I was the one who always went home at the end of the funeral. I didn't know how to react to this news. This truly was my funeral we were talking about.

"You have cancer," the doctor told me.

There must be some mistake, I thought. This is what happens to other people. This diagnosis was the end result of a chain beginning with my curiosity. While reading a magazine, I had learned that researchers had discovered that cancer cells give off a protein that essentially announces their presence. Scientists had developed a test that can search out this protein. It is an extremely sensitive test. My wife, Elizabeth, and I decided to take this test. When it revealed that she had cervical cancer, we went through a month of near hysteria, but other doctors ran more thorough tests and found nothing. That test was too sensitive, they told us.

I was told by a doctor I had a terminal disease. That I was going to die.

And then I was diagnosed with prostate cancer. Me! My regular doctor explained that prostate cancer sometimes is very aggressive and sometimes is so benign you’ll die of something else long before it kills you. Kills me? That couldn’t be happening. To find out which type it was, he took my PSA, a marker for this disease. Until then it had been at one or two, well within safe limits. “It’s ten,” he reported. “That is an aggressive cancer.” Ten! My body had betrayed me.

I have always felt like the great comedian George Burns, who lived to 100: I couldn’t die as long as I was booked. And my schedule was too busy for me to find the time to die. On an intellectual level, I understood my prognosis; I had made out my will, which said that when I died this person got this, that person got that. But on an emotional level, I was certain I was never going to die. I denied it. To me, it was make out my will, then have a nice piece of strudel. Death didn’t apply to me.

I remember noticing in the last few years that when I made personal appearances more and more people were asking more frequently and passionately for my autograph. I knew what that meant: They were expecting me to die soon and my autograph was suddenly going to become more valuable. Boy, I thought, am I going to fool them!

Read more at the seeded content

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
1  seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.    6 years ago

OK have I caught your attention? Did you read the seed? 

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
1.1  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @1    6 years ago

Yep. Read the whole thing for a number of reasons. First of all, I'm in my eighties as well, not quite so old as Shatner but still an octogenarian.  Secondly cancer is generally a concern of people his age and mine maybe more so than younger so it is a consistent worry, but I have to say that what he said about it made me relax about it somewhat. Thirdly he's a Canadian, and that makes him a worth while author to read (I'm a little prejudiced about that.), Fourthly I was a big fan of Star Trek and also the "law" TV show he did. Fifthly, I really liked the way he described his life and so I went on to read the whole thing.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
1.1.1  seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @1.1    6 years ago

Buzz, 

You get an A for reading the article. 

My Dad is the same age as Shatner and he has the same attitude as he does. I think it's the way to grow old. 

Btw.. Star Trek is my #1 reason for liking him. And now as an older man, I have been watching his TV show with "Better late than never", I get to see him mellow and interact with George Foreman, Terry Bradshaw and Henry Winkler and there is a real fun side to this guy. 

Gordy327
Professor Expert
1.1.2  Gordy327  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @1.1.1    6 years ago

It's too bad Mr. Shatner didn't get along well with some of his cast mates, George Takei being the most notable example. But he was good in the role of Kirk and the role was good for him too.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
1.1.3  seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Gordy327 @1.1.2    6 years ago

It is sad that he and George didn't get along (and I am not talking about Paul and George during "Let it be"). I am not sure who's fault that was or just personality clashes since Shatner got along so well with Lenord. They were like brothers.. but then again, Lenord was that way with most people, so who knows. 

But in any case, he was da bomb as Captin Kirk. 

Gordy327
Professor Expert
1.1.4  Gordy327  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @1.1.3    6 years ago

Bill didn't get along well with James Doohan either. I think it was personality clashes. I think they saw Shatner as someone who wanted to be in the limelight all the time, even at another's expense.

lennylynx
Sophomore Quiet
1.2  lennylynx  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @1    6 years ago

I skimmed it, as I don't give a flying fuck about William Shatner's personal life or problems.  There are people being tortured, killed, starved all over the world.  Billions of people are virtual slaves, working long hours every single day to simply survive.  The medical problems of an old, rich, arrogant asshole who's led a privileged life does not even register on my give-a-fuck meter. 

As a strong proponent of the right to die, I was going to make a comment on the subject, but that would not be strictly on topic so I better not!

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
1.2.1  seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  lennylynx @1.2    6 years ago

Lenny,

You obviously did not skim well. The article is about enjoying life, even in the face of death. 

But thanks for participating! :)

Kavika
Professor Principal
2  Kavika     6 years ago

OK, I read the complete article. Yeah he had a scare, but in reality he didn't have cancer and there are millions that really did/do have cancer. They have to face the very real possibility of death knocking at their door. 

When the doctor gives you the ''C'' word the whole world changes in an instant and unlike this case the vast majority are the real deal. 

I understand what he is saying, but in reality he doesn't have a frickin clue what it is really like to be fighting for your life against a disease that deadly. 

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
2.1  seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Kavika @2    6 years ago

Kavika,

I understand your POV, and everyone who has had to deal with cancer had those sinking moments in the pit of their stomachs. I am sure Shatner did too when he got the news. 

Yet the bigger message is where do we go from there after the DX. Both Jonathan and my friend Sue got the most out of the years they had here. Jon fought for 10 years with prostate cancer and no one here knew about it. He was the eternal optimist, even at the end. My friend Sue, never missed a beat and enjoyed the 7 years she had and lived life to the max. 

Cancer is terrible, but I think Shatner's message is we should try to enjoy what we have left, if that is possible. 

Kavika
Professor Principal
2.1.1  Kavika   replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @2.1    6 years ago
Cancer is terrible, but I think Shatner's message is we should try to enjoy what we have left, if that is possible. 

In that part of it I agree. I don't know anyone that has been diagnosed with cancer that didn't at less try to enjoy the time they had left. 

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
3  JohnRussell    6 years ago

The word "I" appears 91 times in this article. 

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
3.1  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  JohnRussell @3    6 years ago

You actually spent your time counting them?  LOL

lennylynx
Sophomore Quiet
3.1.1  lennylynx  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @3.1    6 years ago

It was kind of pointless, Shatner's incredible arrogance is legendary.  He's been a pompous ass his entire life.

dave-2693993
Junior Quiet
3.1.2  dave-2693993  replied to  lennylynx @3.1.1    6 years ago

LOL. That is what made him the best Star Trek Captain.

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
3.1.4  sandy-2021492  replied to  dave-2693993 @3.1.2    6 years ago

Now you've done it.  Them's fightin' words.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
3.1.5  JohnRussell  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @3.1    6 years ago

I actually did a word find for the word "I" and it came up with something like 650, but that was because the system found every use of the letter "i" as well.  So at that point I wanted to know and yes I did count them. Took about two minutes, or as long as it took you to try and make fun of me. 

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
3.1.6  seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  lennylynx @3.1.1    6 years ago

Lenny,

This isn't about the man. It is about the message. Get past who said it. 

lennylynx
Sophomore Quiet
3.1.7  lennylynx  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @3.1.6    6 years ago

Shatner's a big part of this story and any comment about Shatner is on topic.  My opinion.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
3.1.8  seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  lennylynx @3.1.7    6 years ago

You're entitled to your opinion, but I do think it's shaded by the messenger.

dave-2693993
Junior Quiet
3.1.9  dave-2693993  replied to  Kathleen @3.1.3    6 years ago
He had to be to fight those Klingons... Lol

Absolutely. Never to be intimidated by those Klingons or Romulans or Q  or even that pesky Tribbles.

...and what an HR situation he had to deal with.

Not for the timid. LOL.

dave-2693993
Junior Quiet
3.1.10  dave-2693993  replied to  sandy-2021492 @3.1.4    6 years ago
Now you've done it.  Them's fightin' words.

Hands down, the best B movie actor for the job at hand.

LOL.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
3.1.11  seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  dave-2693993 @3.1.10    6 years ago

Quite true! But just remember how many successful series that B actor had. B actor or not, the people like the dude (except for Lenny, LOL).

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
3.1.12  sandy-2021492  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @3.1.11    6 years ago

Count me with Lenny. Shatner seems quite full of himself.

The message rings true, though.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
3.1.13  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  JohnRussell @3.1.5    6 years ago

Perhaps what you, Sandy and Lenny are not aware of, Shatner was a Shakespearean actor well before Star Trek, acting on the stage of Canada's Stratford Shakespearean Theatre.  Shakespearean actors (Laurence Olivier is another example) tend to dramatize and that can appear somewhat pompous.  Perhaps you should read about his life, and come to the realization that he didn't go into daddy's business, but worked hard throughout his life, even through times of having to live in a camper truck and taking whatever menial roles to feed his family.  If he has appeared to you to be egotistical, it has been well earned by his success, and he, too, is charitable, if not to the great level of your favourite, Paul Newman.

William Shatner Offering 'Star Trek' Fans Chance to Spend the Day With Him for Charity

"Proceeds will go to The Hollywood Charity Horse Show, which was founded by Shatner and which supports local and national children’s and veterans’ charities. This year they’ll benefit 16 organizations including Pets for Vets, Children’s Hospital Los Angeles, Ahead with Horses and Blind Children’s Center. "

MrFrost
Professor Expert
3.1.14  MrFrost  replied to  lennylynx @3.1.1    6 years ago
It was kind of pointless, Shatner's incredible arrogance is legendary.

I ran into Shatner in 1993, Dallas Forth Worth airport. I had a 2 hour layover, did what most travelers do...grab something to eat, stretch my legs and find a comfy spot to sit and read a book. It wasn't packed where I was sitting but there were quite a few people and there were scattered seats here and there. I was sitting on a chair that was connected to one other chair. Shatner came around the corner, looked around and asked me if the seat was taken. Of course I knew who he was, I am a huge Star Trek nerd. I don't get star struck or get giddy and beg for autographs. Sat there with the guy for about 45 mins, chatted the whole time.. Politics, weather, traveling, etc.. About 20 minutes in he asked..."You know who I am?" Not asked with arrogance, he was just curious. I told him that I knew exactly who he was and that I was a fan of Star Trek. I think he was expecting me to ask for an autograph...I didn't. 

The point Lenny is that he didn't come off as arrogant, egotistical or, "I am a star so I am better than you", at all. He seemed very genuine, polite, down to earth and engaging, he didn't act like, (ok, we can discuss his "acting ability" another time), I was just some fan that he wanted to ignore. 

After the conversation he stood up, shook my hand and we wished each other pleasant travels. We aren't buddies, we don't hang out, we don't call each other on holidays. Just two travelers crossing paths in an airport.....just happens that one of us was/is very famous. 

The article is extremely well written and enlightening. Life is a journey and we are all born with one debt to pay. 

MrFrost
Professor Expert
3.1.15  MrFrost  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @3.1.11    6 years ago

Many forget his riveting performance on the original Twilight Zone... twice. 

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
3.1.16  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @3.1.13    6 years ago

By the way, he has been recognized for his achievements.  From Wikipedia:

Awards and honors [ edit ]

As for those Razzies, they've also been won by the likes of Laurence Olivier, Anthony Hopkins, Peter O'Toole, Al Pacino, Kevin Coster, Jack Nicholson, Robert DiNero.....etc.

And with respect to the honorary doctorates (Doctor of Humane Letters - New England Institute of Technology, and Doctor of Letters - McGill University), if he WERE "full of himself" he would be calling himself "Dr. Shatner", and insisting (like that woman on an airplane who criticized a flight attendant for having the nerve to call her "Miss") that EVERYONE call him "Doctor". 

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
3.1.18  seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  MrFrost @3.1.14    6 years ago

Great Story Mr. Frost. What an amazing experience to have and how nice it is to know that Shatner seems like that guy who is on "Better late than never". It must have been like one of the coolest events for you. 

MrFrost
Professor Expert
3.1.19  MrFrost  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @3.1.18    6 years ago

It was cool...not as cool as kids being born but i would chalk it up as a pretty cool thing to have happen.

CB
Professor Principal
3.1.20  CB  replied to  MrFrost @3.1.19    6 years ago

One of the most sobering experiences I can reflect on is how down home stars are at 'at home.' To the hometown crowd, they are people you might bump into at a restaurant, strip- joint, or area bookstore, . . . . I know, for it is has been my pleasure to have done so with several stars of the big screen. The 'mystery' about stars involves the legend which forms on its own unabated.

One of the most amazing stories I can recount because it sticks with me to this day was the death of actor Dudley Moore ("Arthur"). How much I delighted in his silly, drunken, character in that movie. Upon his death, it was shared how all his life he hated being short (5'3). People carry so much personal tragedy and baggage throughout life.

William Shatner is the very definition of 'living art.' He is an inflection point in all his acting work, in my opinion.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
3.2  seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  JohnRussell @3    6 years ago
The word "I" appears 91 times in this article. 

That might happen when you are writing about a personal experience. 

CB
Professor Principal
6  CB    6 years ago
The body gets cancer all the time and eliminates it, but that test is so sensitive it picked up the hint of it and combined with the PSA reading convinced me I was dying.

First, this man's a poet-writer. Secondly, this is an important statement (from the seeded content itself) and we can all take stock of it. ASK GOOD QUESTIONS!!

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
6.1  seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  CB @6    6 years ago

You are 100% correct Cal! 

btw.. another little thing about Shatner. He was in "Judgement in Nuremberg". 

CB
Professor Principal
6.1.1  CB  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @6.1    6 years ago
"Judgement in Nuremberg"

I am locating it and will watch it. I have not done so up to this point, I don't think. I am planning to watch it. 

Something else Mr. Shatner shared. His life and his age is his own, I can not fathom or perform what circumstances he had to 'execute' to get to where he is anymore than I can fathom how my life's circumstances could help anyone get to my age!

CB
Professor Principal
6.1.2  CB  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @6.1    6 years ago

Wow, that movie took me a while, because of a busy week. Perrie! What a "moody" picture and yet so apropos to today's politics in many ways. Heavy.

Loved to see William Shatner as young talent and all the 'future' stars in this production (Even Hogan's Heroes' Colonel Klink? - Werner Klemperer!) All welcome faces from other production shows are in this deeply moving and interesting movie.

I am so pleased yo offered it; that, I watched it through!

CB
Professor Principal
6.1.3  CB  replied to  CB @6.1.2    6 years ago
JUDGEMENT AT Nuremberg

For members who wish to see the movie but can not locate a long (full) version of it. Here! (Thank you, Youtube!) Deep movie! Loaded with people you will recognize as legends and stars.

CB
Professor Principal
6.1.4  CB  replied to  CB @6.1.3    6 years ago

This movie is a discussion item. Check it out, if you have not seen it already! And, if you have what's your takeaway?

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
6.1.5  seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  CB @6.1.4    6 years ago

I think it is a great film and covered the events and the reaction of the world very well. 

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
6.1.6  Trout Giggles  replied to  CB @6.1.4    6 years ago

Did you put up a discussion for this movie here at NT?

I love this movie.

CB
Professor Principal
6.1.7  CB  replied to  Trout Giggles @6.1.6    6 years ago

Perhaps we can do it here?

There are so many spoken lines that are reaching out to us right this political instance in time:

@ 15:45 - 16:40

A judge does not make the laws, he carries out the laws of his country.
The statement, "My country." Right or wrong was expressed by a great American patriot.
It is no less true for a German patriot.
Should Ernest Janning have carried out the laws of his country,
or should he have refused to carry them out and become a traitor?
This is the crux of the issue at the bottom of this trial.
The defense is as dedicated to finding responsibility... as is the prosecution.
For it is not only Ernst Janning who is on trial here...it is the German people.

Simply powerful in words and in delivery! One of many segments of powerful and relevant to today - written lines in this movie. I had not seen this movie before now; I'll not forget it ever.

CB
Professor Principal
6.1.8  CB  replied to  CB @6.1.7    6 years ago

Ought a judge to do what is right, and be a singular beacon of moral decency to which a locale, municipality, state, or nation can be attracted? Or, should a judge blindly carry out the laws of his country?

A damn good set of questions!

Kavika
Professor Principal
7  Kavika     6 years ago

OK, very few people know this about me. I've fought off cancer twice and I'm 10 years past the expiration date given me by the doctors with their information/knowledge at the time. 

In a recent test for something other a tumor was discovered in my bladder and I was told that in that area and with my history that it was 95% that it would be cancerous....I got the verdict 2 weeks ago and this time I dodged a bullet. I was part of the 5%. 

Yeah I live with it everyday and I live my life to the fullest everyday. If I go, I'm going down swinging and sliding into home plate with a smile on my face, a glass of wine in one hand and a chocolate bar in the other singing I did it my way. I believe that I'll be, ''The Last Indian Standing''...

I've lived my life pretty much on the edge in every respect and I've made some classic screw ups, but I wouldn't change one minute of my life. It was been to date, one hell of a ride and I plan on riding that horse till we both drop.

In that respect Shatner is correct. Live life to the fullest. 

MrFrost
Professor Expert
7.2  MrFrost  replied to  Kavika @7    6 years ago

1675218_never_give_up_jpegccb30cc80d4e7921ade7fe31c1b3a865.jpg

Kavika
Professor Principal
7.2.1  Kavika   replied to  MrFrost @7.2    6 years ago

Classic

dave-2693993
Junior Quiet
7.3  dave-2693993  replied to  Kavika @7    6 years ago

You are a good example to.

CB
Professor Principal
7.4  CB  replied to  Kavika @7    6 years ago

What a 'thrillin' post! All that remains to be written is this: AWESOME!

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
7.5  Trout Giggles  replied to  Kavika @7    6 years ago

I wanna be like you when I grow up