╌>

Selection for Jobs, Promotions and Opportunities

Category:  Op/Ed

By:  robert-in-ohio  •  6 years ago  •  34 comments

Selection for Jobs, Promotions and Opportunities
"True merit, like a river, the deeper it is, the less noise it makes." Edward Wood, 1st Earl of Halifax

I think IKEA might have found the answer to selection (for jobs, opportunities, promotions) fairness.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Robert in Ohio
Professor Guide
1  author  Robert in Ohio    6 years ago

"Try not! Do or do not, there is no try." 

A quote from one of the icons of the ages Yoda!

Kavika
Professor Principal
1.1  Kavika   replied to  Robert in Ohio @1    6 years ago

Gotta love the great philosopher Yoda, right up there with Yogi.

Robert in Ohio
Professor Guide
1.1.1  author  Robert in Ohio  replied to  Kavika @1.1    6 years ago

You can always count on Yoda for sound advice on technical matters and when it is common sense things well sometimes Yogi comes through but it is always mood lightening when Yogi is quoted.

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
2  Jasper2529    6 years ago

Deleted.

Robert in Ohio
Professor Guide
2.1  author  Robert in Ohio  replied to  Jasper2529 @2    6 years ago

"Deleted"

Why I got thick skin and can take constructive criticism or even non-constructive criticism.

Go for it

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
2.1.1  Jasper2529  replied to  Robert in Ohio @2.1    6 years ago

Hi, Robert -

The comment I deleted wasn't a criticism of you or the cartoon at all. I "got" the humor. While I was writing my comment, I became distracted and didn't have time to correct what I'd posted, so I deleted what I'd written.

When similar happened on other sites, I 'd leave a period so my original post wouldn't reappear. Perrie doesn't run NT that way - she gave me a ticket for doing it, and told me to write "Deleted" in the box. I was just following her instructions.

I'll come back and make a comment about my IKEA experience as soon as I can.  

Robert in Ohio
Professor Guide
2.1.2  author  Robert in Ohio  replied to  Jasper2529 @2.1.1    6 years ago

Jasper

Thanks for the feedback and the info 

I was unaware of that guidance and look forward to your perspective

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
3  Buzz of the Orient    6 years ago

Great cartoon - definitely worth a smile.

Robert in Ohio
Professor Guide
3.1  author  Robert in Ohio  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @3    6 years ago

Thanks Buzz - I thought a little humor was needed after all the dark and dreary and contentious railing on many articles.

I guess I was wrong

321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu
Sophomore Guide
3.1.1  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu   replied to  Robert in Ohio @3.1    6 years ago
I guess I was wrong

No you were correct some people just want chaos 24/7.

Not all of us though:

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
3.1.2  JohnRussell  replied to  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu @3.1.1    6 years ago
No you were correct some people just want chaos 24/7

You are beginning to understand your president. 

Robert in Ohio
Professor Guide
3.1.3  author  Robert in Ohio  replied to  JohnRussell @3.1.2    6 years ago

John

Not everything is about politics, this was more about my experience as a HR Manager/Director and the difficulty in hiring the right person for the specific job requirements

And it does not seem to be chaos you admire 24/7 but rather "hating on Trump" regardless of the topic people are trying to discuss

Perhaps wanting chaos 24/7 is slightly more acceptable than that

Thanks for your "perspective" on the hiring process, though it was not so very enlightening

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
3.2  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @3    6 years ago

I have put a number of IKEA items together - which is probably why I liked the cartoon.  I wonder if anyone who has never had that experience would understand the joke. 

Ender
Professor Principal
3.2.1  Ender  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @3.2    6 years ago

I thought it was funny.

Robert in Ohio
Professor Guide
3.2.2  author  Robert in Ohio  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @3.2    6 years ago

Buzz

I also have entered into the construction projects defined by the "simple to assemble" instructions and sometimes it is and sometimes it is more challenging than raising the Empire State Building.  :-)

Robert in Ohio
Professor Guide
3.2.3  author  Robert in Ohio  replied to  Ender @3.2.1    6 years ago

Ender

That was the intent

Thanks for stopping by

Spikegary
Junior Quiet
3.2.4  Spikegary  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @3.2    6 years ago

Sunshine
Professor Quiet
4  Sunshine    6 years ago

HAHA...as long as I am not timed...I would do well.

Robert in Ohio
Professor Guide
4.1  author  Robert in Ohio  replied to  Sunshine @4    6 years ago

Sunshine

I too would rather do something right than ickly

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
5  JohnRussell    6 years ago

I think most people could put a chair together. Something a little more complicated might be a problem. Even with instructions. 

Sophomore Guide
5.1  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu   replied to  JohnRussell @5    6 years ago
I think most people could put a chair together. Something a little more complicated might be a problem. Even with instructions.

Even with instructions... What's that ? 

Instructions... Hell I dont need no silly unstructions I got me my duck tape.

Let me at it !!

Robert in Ohio
Professor Guide
5.1.1  author  Robert in Ohio  replied to  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu @5.1    6 years ago

steve

An approach not that uncommon, but one that as an interviewer might dissuade me from hiring a candidate

Sophomore Guide
5.1.2  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu   replied to  Robert in Ohio @5.1.1    6 years ago
An approach not that uncommon, but one that as an interviewer might dissuade me from hiring a candidate

Well too bad I was Just showing my experience, my initiative and my ability to think outside the box !!  

But it's your choice. 

LOL

Robert in Ohio
Professor Guide
5.2  author  Robert in Ohio  replied to  JohnRussell @5    6 years ago

John

Putting interviewees into similar (sometimes less concrete) situations gives a hiring manager insight into how individuals approach problem solving - it is not just about putting the chair together

Thanks for the perspective

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
5.2.1  JohnRussell  replied to  Robert in Ohio @5.2    6 years ago
Putting interviewees into similar (sometimes less concrete) situations gives a hiring manager insight into how individuals approach problem solving - it is not just about putting the chair together

No shit ? 

Robert in Ohio
Professor Guide
5.2.2  author  Robert in Ohio  replied to  JohnRussell @5.2.1    6 years ago

John

Always appreciate your intuitive and insightful nuggets of knowledge.

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
6  Hal A. Lujah    6 years ago

Reminds me of an experience I had years ago.  A friend was remodeling his bathroom, and was throwing away a set of sliding glass shower doors.  I asked if I could have them, he agreed but didn't have the original instructions, just the parts.  I spent an entire day installing this hodge podge of parts the most logical way I could imagine.  Never having sliding glass shower doors, I had nothing to draw from.  Turns out that they hang on the rollers, not sit on them.  I installed the entire thing upside down, and the doors wouldn't roll worth a shit.  Tore it all out and reinstalled it right side up.  Ugh.

Robert in Ohio
Professor Guide
6.1  author  Robert in Ohio  replied to  Hal A. Lujah @6    6 years ago

Hal

Trial and error is a tried and true method of learning, frustrating as hell and time consuming but once a skill is learned in this manner it is seldom forgotten.

Thanks for sharing

user image
Freshman Silent
7      6 years ago

What part does TRUTH Play in that?

Or is it " The One that LIES the best gets the Part? "

• Researchers worldwide once hailed Dr. Piero Anversa’s work as revolutionary, promising the seemingly impossible.
  • But more than 30 research studies produced over more than a decade contain falsified or fabricated data, officials concluded.

Robert in Ohio
Professor Guide
7.1  author  Robert in Ohio  replied to  @7    6 years ago

Eagle

What the hell does this have to do with an interview or an IKEA chair?

user image
Freshman Silent
7.1.1    replied to  Robert in Ohio @7.1    6 years ago
What the hell does this have to do with an interview

E.A 

Choices Choices Choises…...

And YOUR Answer is?

Robert in Ohio
Professor Guide
8  author  Robert in Ohio    6 years ago

Eagle

No worries

Everyone is welcome here - making sense is not a requirement for entry

Enjoy yourself and I will remember not to ask too many questions

The answer is violin and saxophone music do not mix no matter how comfortable the chair is.

user image
Freshman Silent
8.1    replied to  Robert in Ohio @8    6 years ago
The answer is violin and saxophone music do not mix no matter how comfortable the chair is.

E.A :-) Thanks now try that " Logic " on the Heart Surgeon and your employment questionnaire!

Robert in Ohio
Professor Guide
8.1.1  author  Robert in Ohio  replied to  @8.1    6 years ago

There was never a "questionnaire" - interviews were free flow and molded to the candidate being interviewed.  The same subjects and tasks were explored but not in a verbatim manner - each candidate presents differently and in order to understand if the candidate is a fit for the company - you must determine and examine their skills and temperament versus job requirements