╌>

US agents fire tear gas as some migrants try to breach fence

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  galen-marvin-ross  •  6 years ago  •  201 comments

US agents fire tear gas as some migrants try to breach fence
Children screamed and coughed. Fumes were carried by the wind toward people who were hundreds of feet away. "We ran, but when you run the gas asphyxiates you more," Zuniga told the AP while cradling her 3-year-old daughter Valery in her arms.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

TIJUANA, Mexico (AP) — U.S. border agents fired tear gas on hundreds of migrants protesting near the border with Mexico on Sunday after some of them attempted to get through the fencing and wire separating the two countries, and American authorities shut down border crossings from the city where thousands are waiting to apply for asylum.
The situation devolved after the group began a peaceful march to appeal for the U.S. to speed processing of asylum claims for Central American migrants marooned in Tijuana.
A large majority pushed past a blockade of Mexican authorities who were standing guard, although they appeared to stop before police carrying plastic riot shields.
Others, however, saw an opportunity to breach the crossing.
An Associated Press reporter saw U.S. agents shoot several rounds of tear gas after some migrants attempted to penetrate several points along the border. Mexico's Milenio TV showed images of migrants climbing over fences and peeling back metal sheeting to enter.
Honduran Ana Zuniga, 23, also said she saw migrants opening a small hole in concertina wire at a gap on the Mexican side of a levee, at which point U.S. agents fired tear gas at them.
Children screamed and coughed. Fumes were carried by the wind toward people who were hundreds of feet away.
"We ran, but when you run the gas asphyxiates you more," Zuniga told the AP while cradling her 3-year-old daughter Valery in her arms.
Mexico's Interior Ministry said around 500 migrants tried to "violently" enter the U.S.
The ministry said in a statement it would immediately deport those people and would reinforce security.
As the chaos unfolded, shoppers just yards away on the U.S. side streamed in and out of an outlet mall.
Throughout the day, U.S. Customs and Border Protection helicopters flew overhead, while U.S. agents held vigil on foot beyond the wire fence in California. The Border Patrol office in San Diego said via Twitter that pedestrian crossings were suspended at the San Ysidro port of entry at both the East and West facilities. All northbound and southbound traffic was halted.
Homeland Security Secretary Kirstjen Nielsen said in a statement that U.S. authorities will continue to have a "robust" presence along the Southwest border and that they will prosecute anyone who damages federal property or violates U.S. sovereignty.
"DHS will not tolerate this type of lawlessness and will not hesitate to shut down ports of entry for security and public safety reasons," she said.
More than 5,000 migrants have been camped in and around a sports complex in Tijuana after making their way through Mexico in recent weeks via caravan. Many hope to apply for asylum in the U.S., but agents at the San Ysidro entry point are processing fewer than 100 asylum petitions a day.
Irineo Mujica, who has accompanied the migrants for weeks as part of the aid group Pueblo Sin Fronteras, said the aim of Sunday's march toward the U.S. border was to make the migrants' plight more visible to the governments of Mexico and the U.S.
"We can't have all these people here," Mujica told The Associated Press.
Tijuana Mayor Juan Manuel Gastelum on Friday declared a humanitarian crisis in his border city of 1.6 million, which he says is struggling to accommodate the crush of migrants.
U.S. President Donald Trump took to Twitter Sunday to express his displeasure with the caravans in Mexico.
"Would be very SMART if Mexico would stop the Caravans long before they get to our Southern Border, or if originating countries would not let them form (it is a way they get certain people out of their country and dump in U.S. No longer)," he wrote.
Mexico's Interior Ministry said Sunday the country has sent 11,000 Central Americans back to their countries of origin since Oct. 19, when the first caravan entered the country. It said that 1,906 of those who have returned were members of the recent caravans.
Mexico is on track to send a total of around 100,000 Central Americans back home by the end of this year.
___
Associated Press writer Amy Guthrie contributed to this story from Mexico City.

Red Box Rules Apply. Ok adding some rules, no off topic, if it's about immigration then it can be said but, if it's about homeless in America start your own seed. No, "well Obama or, well Hillary" memes.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Galen Marvin Ross
Sophomore Participates
1  seeder  Galen Marvin Ross    6 years ago

I've restarted this seed at Perrie's request since there were so many violations on the last one. Follow the Red Box rules. I will be watching this time, violations will be dealt with as soon as I see them.

Galen Marvin Ross
Sophomore Participates
2  seeder  Galen Marvin Ross    6 years ago

Ok, it's open again, please obey the rules.

charger 383
Professor Silent
2.1  charger 383  replied to  Galen Marvin Ross @2    6 years ago

I always try to be respectful to others here

This are is a broad topic and many side avenues appear   

Galen Marvin Ross
Sophomore Participates
2.1.1  seeder  Galen Marvin Ross  replied to  charger 383 @2.1    6 years ago
This are is a broad topic and many side avenues appear   

I'll add this caveat to it, if it relates to the seed, I'll accept it.

charger 383
Professor Silent
2.1.2  charger 383  replied to  Galen Marvin Ross @2.1.1    6 years ago

I do apricate you reposting this to allow us to express our opinions on a very controversial issue 

Galen Marvin Ross
Sophomore Participates
2.1.3  seeder  Galen Marvin Ross  replied to  charger 383 @2.1.2    6 years ago

I did add to the red box rules, Perrie said she wanted it better defined so, I think I did it, please check it out.

charger 383
Professor Silent
2.1.4  charger 383  replied to  Galen Marvin Ross @2.1.3    6 years ago

I will comply

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
4  Sean Treacy    6 years ago

Now that we now thr obama administration frequently used tear gas on the border without  the media and liberals freaking out, democrats will move on from their outrage at the “unprecedented” nature of the routine use of tear gas. Sort like how they fomented a panic about trump mistreating illegal alien kids by using photos from the obama administration.

those comments freaking out about it were gold, though.  

Galen Marvin Ross
Sophomore Participates
4.1  seeder  Galen Marvin Ross  replied to  Sean Treacy @4    6 years ago
Now that we now thr obama administration frequently used tear gas on the border without  the media and liberals freaking out, democrats will move on from their outrage at the “unprecedented” nature of the routine use of tear gas. S

Link?

Dean Moriarty
Professor Quiet
4.1.1  Dean Moriarty  replied to  Galen Marvin Ross @4.1    6 years ago

Galen Marvin Ross
Sophomore Participates
4.1.2  seeder  Galen Marvin Ross  replied to  Dean Moriarty @4.1.1    6 years ago

Well, thank you for providing the link I asked Sean for.

Galen Marvin Ross
Sophomore Participates
4.1.4  seeder  Galen Marvin Ross  replied to    6 years ago
Here ya go.  Notice the large number of women and kids.

OMG, you provided links!!!! jrSmiley_30_smiley_image.gif

Still waiting for the they were mostly young men link.

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
4.1.6  Jasper2529  replied to  Galen Marvin Ross @4.1.4    6 years ago
Still waiting for the they were mostly young men link.

Here you go. There's an MSNBC video in this article:

Galen Marvin Ross
Sophomore Participates
4.1.7  seeder  Galen Marvin Ross  replied to  Jasper2529 @4.1.6    6 years ago

I've seen it, it's in my article as well, if you follow the link. I have seen those men you describe but, I also see women and, children, like the woman and, her kids in my picture for the article, by the way, they were running away from the U.S. border, that teargas canister near them is on the Mexican side and, Mexico wants to know why the U.S. fired teargas into their country, they consider it an act of aggression.

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
4.1.8  Jasper2529  replied to  Galen Marvin Ross @4.1.7    6 years ago

You asked for a link proving that most of the people in the caravan are men, and I provided one. Nothing more, nothing less.

Galen Marvin Ross
Sophomore Participates
4.1.10  seeder  Galen Marvin Ross  replied to    6 years ago

Here ya go,

Mexico's Foreign Ministry has asked the United States to investigate US Border Patrol agents' use of tear gas on migrants attempting to cross the border. In a diplomatic memo to the US Embassy in Mexico City on Monday, Mexico's Foreign Ministry requested an "exhaustive investigation" into the use of non-lethal weapons by the United States toward Mexico, the ministry said in a statement.

Tacos!
Professor Guide
4.1.11  Tacos!  replied to  Galen Marvin Ross @4.1.7    6 years ago
Mexico wants to know why the U.S. fired teargas into their country, they consider it an act of aggression.

Anybody who says they want to know why or that it could be an act of aggression is a moron or a liar. Everyone knows why it was done.

However, if they're really worried about it, I would welcome the arrival of the Mexican army at the border.

Galen Marvin Ross
Sophomore Participates
4.1.12  seeder  Galen Marvin Ross  replied to  Tacos! @4.1.11    6 years ago
However, if they're really worried about it, I would welcome the arrival of the Mexican army at the border.

So you want to start a war with Mexico when we can't even end the war in Afghanistan? Really? You know the Afghan's never really had a standing army right?

Tacos!
Professor Guide
4.1.13  Tacos!  replied to  Galen Marvin Ross @4.1.12    6 years ago
So you want to start a war with Mexico

Think real hard. Did I say I wanted a war with Mexico? (Which we would win in about 3 minutes, by the way) Did I say that?

No. I said I welcomed their arrival at the border. Please respond to what I actually say. Your fantasy took you all the way to Afghanistan. Talk about "off-topic!"

Think about it. What do you think is going to happen with that mob at the border if the Mexican army shows up? I'm thinking they'll become slightly less rowdy and just a tad more orderly.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
4.1.14  Trout Giggles  replied to  Tacos! @4.1.13    6 years ago
What do you think is going to happen with that mob at the border if the Mexican army shows up? I'm thinking they'll become slightly less rowdy and just a tad more orderly.

That I understand. I like when you explain things.

Galen Marvin Ross
Sophomore Participates
4.1.15  seeder  Galen Marvin Ross  replied to  Tacos! @4.1.13    6 years ago
Think real hard. Did I say I wanted a war with Mexico? (Which we would win in about 3 minutes, by the way) Did I say that?

The implication was there but, think about this, we have fought in Afghanistan for over 12 years, have we won anything there? Three minutes, yeah, ok, maybe on xbox.

No. I said I welcomed their arrival at the border. Please respond to what I actually say. Your fantasy took you all the way to Afghanistan. Talk about "off-topic!"

One mistake by either side and, we end up in a shooting fight between the two country's in a heartbeat.

Think about it. What do you think is going to happen with that mob at the border if the Mexican army shows up? I'm thinking they'll become slightly less rowdy and just a tad more orderly.

Not so sure about that, they could get worse.

charger 383
Professor Silent
5  charger 383    6 years ago

There should be large NO VACANCY signs on top the wall

Galen Marvin Ross
Sophomore Participates
5.1  seeder  Galen Marvin Ross  replied to  charger 383 @5    6 years ago

Why?

charger 383
Professor Silent
5.1.2  charger 383  replied to  Galen Marvin Ross @5.1    6 years ago

1 Because this country is overpopulated

2 The needs and wants of our Citizens must be met or exceeded before we can take in any more   

3 So they know many US Citizens don't want them and their problems here

4 Just because they want to come here does not mean we have to take them

5 They are not our problem

6 To keep more from coming

That is just a few reasons 

Tessylo
Professor Principal
5.1.3  Tessylo  replied to  Galen Marvin Ross @5.1    6 years ago

Because he considers all of these migrants feral cats.  

Galen Marvin Ross
Sophomore Participates
5.1.4  seeder  Galen Marvin Ross  replied to    6 years ago
Because there are legal processes to be admitted into the US. Wanting a better life and American taxpayer provided benefits is not a valid reason.

So, wanting to escape a deadly, corrupt government and, criminal cartels isn't enough for you. Got it. Thankfully, that is what the asylum law was set up for.

They need to get to the rear of the line and wait until their number is called.

They can't "pull a number" until they are on U.S. soil.

With few exceptions they have no resources and offer no usable skills.

The same was said of the Irish, Italians and, Poles but, we still took them and, they proved to be very valuable citizens.

It's likely that there are many criminals of all types among them, and who knows what diseases and vermin they carry.

You should really stop listening to Trump, that is such a Trumpian statement.

Galen Marvin Ross
Sophomore Participates
5.1.5  seeder  Galen Marvin Ross  replied to  charger 383 @5.1.2    6 years ago
1 Because this country is overpopulated

2 The needs and wants of our Citizens must be met or exceeded before we can take in any more   

3 So they know many US Citizens don't want them and their problems here

4 Just because they want to come here does not mean we have to take them

5 They are not our problem

6 To keep more from coming

That is just a few reasons 

And, everyone of these reasons have been used for almost two hundred years and, every time they have been proven wrong.

charger 383
Professor Silent
5.1.6  charger 383  replied to  Tessylo @5.1.3    6 years ago

do you want your area to be over run by feral cats?

Galen Marvin Ross
Sophomore Participates
5.1.8  seeder  Galen Marvin Ross  replied to  Tessylo @5.1.3    6 years ago

I'm beginning to see that. It's funny though, I had this feral cat come onto my property once, I gave him some milk and, food and, he became a good friend, I never had to worry about stray dogs coming on the property with him around either.

charger 383
Professor Silent
5.1.9  charger 383  replied to  Galen Marvin Ross @5.1.5    6 years ago

The needs and wants of our Citizens must be met or exceeded before we can take in any more 

how has that been proven wrong? 

Tessylo
Professor Principal
5.1.10  Tessylo  replied to  Galen Marvin Ross @5.1.4    6 years ago
'and who knows what diseases and vermin they carry'

Sounds like another poster who refers to these migrants as vermin.  Just like when the other poster refers to them as feral cats.  

Galen Marvin Ross
Sophomore Participates
5.1.11  seeder  Galen Marvin Ross  replied to    6 years ago
So...what are you suggesting that we do with all these interlopers and border jumpers.

When I see these story's and, read what folks put on here that are against immigration and, people seeking asylum I remember a family that came here in the early to mid 1800's and, settled in New York until the end of the Civil War, then some of them moved to North Carolina and, settled there, they were told wherever they went that they weren't welcome but, they stuck it out and, finally earned the respect of the people who called themselves "True Americans", they became business owners, farmers, trappers and, teachers, that family made it in America even though the "citizens" of America said they weren't wanted, that family was my mothers ancestors, they were Irish.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
5.1.12  Tessylo  replied to  charger 383 @5.1.6    6 years ago

You mean our fellow human beings?

mocowgirl
Professor Quiet
5.1.14  mocowgirl  replied to  Galen Marvin Ross @5.1.4    6 years ago
So, wanting to escape a deadly, corrupt government and, criminal cartels isn't enough for you.

Are you advocating for open borders or do you support limits on immigrants admitted to the US?

Galen Marvin Ross
Sophomore Participates
5.1.15  seeder  Galen Marvin Ross  replied to    6 years ago
Because they are looking for jobs on a day you tarred Trump over the loss of GM jobs.

And, that just burns you that they are coming here to look for work in unskilled labor. What do you think, those GM workers are going to want to go work on a farm for less than minimum wage after making 30 an hour at GM? Really?

mocowgirl
Professor Quiet
5.1.16  mocowgirl  replied to  Galen Marvin Ross @5.1.15    6 years ago
going to want to go work on a farm

What farm jobs?  How many job openings need to be filled on farms?  Are they seasonal or year round?  Can the worker support themself on those wages or are taxpayers going to have to wind up subsidizing that labor in any form?

Visas should be issued for those farm jobs and the applicants restricted to working only those farm jobs that they were approved to do.

Tacos!
Professor Guide
5.1.17  Tacos!  replied to  Galen Marvin Ross @5.1    6 years ago
Why?

I wouldn't go so far as to say "no vacancy" but our country is a very different kind of place from what it was a hundred years ago and more. Back then, we didn't have limits on immigration, but we also didn't have all the laws, regulations, and government programs that benefit not just immigrants, but the poor generally. These laws and programs can be a burden on both public and private resources, so we need to be thoughtful about how many people come into the country and who they are.

It's also a very crowded country. California's population has increased 250% in my lifetime without a concurrent increase in roads, water supply, and other necessary infrastructure. The current population has more foreign born people (over 10 million, about 27% of the population) than any other state. Illegal immigrants are a substantial drain on the state's economy . Almost 13% of the state's prisoners are in the country illegally, and when they get out (after enjoying free food, housing, and healthcare for the duration of their sentence), the authorities won't call ICE to have them deported.

Increasing demand from all immigration just drives up the already high cost of housing, including for our poorer native citizens. The Los Angeles area has the worst commutes in the nation . Average speeds on the "freeway" are under 20 mph. Millions of idling cars negatively impact local pollution and climate change . The state does not need more people.

The Magic 8 Ball
Masters Quiet
5.1.18  The Magic 8 Ball  replied to  Galen Marvin Ross @5.1.4    6 years ago
So, wanting to escape a deadly, corrupt government and, criminal cartels isn't enough for you

nope

Galen Marvin Ross
Sophomore Participates
5.1.19  seeder  Galen Marvin Ross  replied to  mocowgirl @5.1.14    6 years ago
Are you advocating for open borders or do you support limits on immigrants admitted to the US?

I don't know what you mean, please explain.

Galen Marvin Ross
Sophomore Participates
5.1.20  seeder  Galen Marvin Ross  replied to  The Magic 8 Ball @5.1.18    6 years ago

I think this was tried one time before by a Central American people, the result was Iran-Contra by the U.S.

321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu
Sophomore Guide
5.1.22  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu   replied to  Kathleen @5.1.21    6 years ago
Why can't they demand better conditions in their own country?

I' don't know for sure but I'd say some places if they did that they would be quickly eliminated. 

Instead of the problem. 

mocowgirl
Professor Quiet
5.1.24  mocowgirl  replied to  Galen Marvin Ross @5.1.19    6 years ago
I don't know what you mean, please explain.

Open borders - any global person who wants to live and/or work in the US can. 

Limits on immigrants - the number of non-citizens who are legally allowed to live and/or work in the US.

Galen Marvin Ross
Sophomore Participates
5.1.25  seeder  Galen Marvin Ross  replied to  mocowgirl @5.1.24    6 years ago
Open borders - any global person who wants to live and/or work in the US can.  Limits on immigrants - the number of non-citizens who are legally allowed to live and/or work in the US.

Really, I think we already have this here. Let me explain;

People come here on work visas and, school visas and, they run out, those people stay, that then makes them illegals, Ivanka Trump had such a situation when she came here, she had a "look for work" visa and, violated it by working before she got a work visa, that made her an illegal technically. So, going by that standard, we have laws that should be obeyed but, even people who come here legally don't always obey them. The people at the border should have their day in court, the immigration judge will look at their case and, decide if they should stay or, go but, they should have that chance.

Do I want an open border system? No, not really but, I don't want to close our borders the way Trump wants to either, our immigration system is broken and, unless Congress changes things, it will continue to be broken. We are a nation of immigrants and, we always will be, to refuse immigrants is like spitting in our ancestor's faces.

JBB
Professor Principal
5.2  JBB  replied to  charger 383 @5    6 years ago

No Vacancy? Have you been to West Texas? Most of rural America is deserted. Most Americans today do not want to live in rural backwaters or to work in chicken processing plants. Rural America is again begging for settlers because fruits and vegetables do not pick themselves. Tens of thousands of low paying back breaking jobs white Americans are too proud to do are begging for takers. Without cheap immigrant labor food is going to have to cost a whole lot more. The prices we pay for groceries is already going up way faster than our current lying government admits but we can all tell it. If given refugee status new immigrants will take the dirty low pay drudge work which allows the rest of us to live privileged lifestyles. Immigrants have always been a net positive for America. Maybe I see things differently but I would way rather we took in poor repressed refugees who will move to rural America and take available jobs and housing which is standing empty than the hoards of rich Chinese, Arabs and Eastern Europeans who skip visas to bid up home costs in America's desirable urban centers.  We do not need any more rich Russian fat cat oligarchs in New York or LA. We do though need lots more Guatemalans and Hondurans to perform manual laborer out in our mostly deserted Flyover Country USA... 

charger 383
Professor Silent
5.2.1  charger 383  replied to  JBB @5.2    6 years ago

So you want to put the problem in rural areas?   

Tessylo
Professor Principal
5.2.3  Tessylo  replied to  charger 383 @5.2.1    6 years ago

What problem?

JBB
Professor Principal
5.2.4  JBB  replied to  charger 383 @5.2.1    6 years ago

The need for workers is the problem for farmers, ranchers and processors...

Galen Marvin Ross
Sophomore Participates
5.2.5  seeder  Galen Marvin Ross  replied to  JBB @5.2    6 years ago

Yeah, the last time I went through Kansas there were small towns that were up for sale, the whole damn town.

charger 383
Professor Silent
5.2.6  charger 383  replied to  JBB @5.2.4    6 years ago

using these will drag wages and working conditions down even more.  

charger 383
Professor Silent
5.2.7  charger 383  replied to  Tessylo @5.2.3    6 years ago

those that act like feral cats

Tessylo
Professor Principal
5.2.8  Tessylo  replied to  charger 383 @5.2.7    6 years ago

[Removed]

Galen Marvin Ross
Sophomore Participates
5.2.9  seeder  Galen Marvin Ross  replied to  charger 383 @5.2.6    6 years ago
using these will drag wages and working conditions down even more.

What, on farms? Dude most of these people work at farm labor, it's their kids that go to school learn the language, go to college and, then get hired by company's, how are their parents going to drive down wages at a corporation?

Galen Marvin Ross
Sophomore Participates
5.2.10  seeder  Galen Marvin Ross  replied to  charger 383 @5.2.7    6 years ago
those that act like feral cats

Oh, you mean like these guys,

mocowgirl
Professor Quiet
5.2.13  mocowgirl  replied to  JBB @5.2    6 years ago
No Vacancy? Have you been to West Texas? Most of rural America is deserted.

Are you saying no one owns the land or that it is not being commercially exploited properly?

In that regard, most rural areas in the  countries the immigrants come from are deserted.  

As far as farm labor, crop work is seasonal.  How many seasonal farm workers are required in the US?  That is how many farm visas that should be readily available to farmers and legal immigrants.

There are 3 billion people who live in poverty.  Many, if not most, live in worse conditions than the people south of the US border. 

How many of the 3 billion people do you want to relocate to the US and shouldn't we start with the people who are the most impoverished for humanitarian reasons?

Are you at all concerned about global warming?  Adding more people to the US guarantees more people consuming an unsustainable amount of the Earth's resources?  Is that a consideration when you are advocating population expansion in the US?

The United States Overshoot Day for 2018 was March 15th.  We were in 4th position.   Is the goal to be #1 and use our share of the Earth's resources in January?  Is that humane to all of the other people on Earth?  Or is this purely a political issue to score more kind of imaginary points against the opposition?  

Earth Overshoot Day marks the date when we (all of humanity) have used more from nature than our planet can renew in the entire year. In 2018, it fell on August 1.

We are using 1.7 Earths.
We use more ecological resources and services than nature can regenerate through overfishing, overharvesting forests, and emitting more carbon dioxide into the atmosphere than ecosystems can absorb.

charger 383
Professor Silent
5.2.14  charger 383  replied to  Galen Marvin Ross @5.2.9    6 years ago

Happens at George's Chicken plant and Bowman Apple Plant and the farms that supply them, That is a local issue that I see in my area

Teaching English as a Second Language adds a burden to our local schools so does bringing their kids up to our level of education.  

mocowgirl
Professor Quiet
5.2.15  mocowgirl  replied to  Galen Marvin Ross @5.2.9    6 years ago
Dude most of these people work at farm labor,

Very few illegal immigrants work at farm labor.   But even if it was 1 million illegal immigrants, that means that over 10 million are NOT doing farm labor.

According to the Pew Research Center, an estimated 11.1 million illegal immigrants lived in the U.S. in 2014.  Somewhat surprisingly, only a small portion of those 11 million work as farm labor.  According to the latest Farm Labor Survey, the number of hired and contract farm workers ranges from about 800,000 in winter to 1.1 million in the summer. The portion of hired farm workers who are not legally authorized to work in the U.S. fluctuates around 50%, according to the USDA Economic Research Service. The other half comprises legal U.S. citizens (33%) and green card holders. Do all the math, and we’re running somewhere around 500,000 illegal U.S. farm workers, 

Galen Marvin Ross
Sophomore Participates
5.2.16  seeder  Galen Marvin Ross  replied to  mocowgirl @5.2.13    6 years ago
Are you at all concerned about global warming?  Adding more people to the US guarantees more people consuming an unsustainable amount of the Earth's resources?  Is that a consideration when you are advocating population expansion in the US?

Ok then, let's make abortions mandatory for any families with two kids.

JBB
Professor Principal
5.2.17  JBB  replied to  Galen Marvin Ross @5.2.5    6 years ago

Rural America is dying off. The only reason to live out there was if you owned some land and all of your family farmed and ranched nearby. But, the younger generations moved off and the big corporate farms bought up all the land. The chicken and hog plants are all that is left in many now deserted once thriving rural townships. A few hundred new working families each would be an all around BOOM to hundreds of dying rural communities. Regarding being welcoming to new immigrants, it is do or die for rural America. Towns with good leadership are advertising incentives for new immigrants to move there...

Tacos!
Professor Guide
5.2.19  Tacos!  replied to  JBB @5.2    6 years ago
Most of rural America is deserted.

If it's just about open space, there is plenty of that in Latin America.

Galen Marvin Ross
Sophomore Participates
5.2.20  seeder  Galen Marvin Ross  replied to  charger 383 @5.2.14    6 years ago
Teaching English as a Second Language adds a burden to our local schools so does bringing their kids up to our level of education.

I'm playing my tiny violin for you. Please, we dealt with this before and, not every single immigrant at the border is coming to your town.

mocowgirl
Professor Quiet
5.2.22  mocowgirl  replied to  mocowgirl @5.2.15    6 years ago

more....

Overall, the agricultural industry in the United States has been on the decline since 1950. Back then, farming was a family business that  employed more than 10 million workers , 77 percent of whom were classified as "family." As of 2000 – the latest such data available – only  3 million work on farms , and as noted earlier, an estimated half are undocumented.

Increasingly, dairy farms such as those in New York  rely on workers  from Mexico and Guatemala, many of whom are believed to be undocumented. Currently, there is no visa program for year-round workers on dairy farms, so the precarious status of these workers poses serious concerns for the economic viability of the dairy industry.

So let's look at what is really happening on dairy farms - they are overproducing and the US taxpayer is supporting them.   Other farming is also subsidized by the US taxpayer.   Maybe, we need to revamp the whole industry before we keep on supplying farmers with cheap labor for them to exploit and for the taxpayer to subsidize?

But this is America, where government farm subsidies are literally a way of life. Without them, entire regions of rural farm country would go bankrupt. And, horror of horrors, shoppers would pay less for cheddar at the check-out counter.

The American Farm Bureau Federation and the National Milk Producers Federation, however, are there to make sure that doesn’t happen.

Dairy farms, apparently, are going broke producing too much cheese. So they want the government to buy the surplus to keep prices up and keep them in business. The cheese, according to the Agriculture Department, will be given to soup kitchens, food banks and school lunch programs.

Government Cheese = Dairy Subsidies

There are way too many things wrong with this idea. Although in the twisted world of farm subsidies, the idea, and others like it for other agricultural commodities, isn’t going away any time soon. In fact, it’s only going to get worse.

But at least someone is watching this profligate, carefree industrial welfare spending.

According to a national government watchdog group — the Taxpayers for Common Sense — it makes no sense from a dollars and cents perspective. The dairy farmers’ group wanted the government to buy $100 million to $150 million in cheese to bolster prices and keep them profitable. The Farm Federation wanted $50 million thrown at the problem.

The USDA, meanwhile, said it could only spend $20 million for 11 million pounds of cheese — a mere drop in Bessie’s bucket, they said — which will just barely keep the dairy farmers’ heads above milk, er, water.

The Common Sense folks — themselves a rare commodity around Washington, D.C. — said the deal stinks like two-week-old 2 percent.

“It’s yet another example of USDA caving to the demands of an agricultural special interest wanting taxpayers to foot the bill for lower-than-desired prices,” said Joshua Sewell, senior policy analyst for Taxpayers for Common Sense.

That’s just one of many things wrong with this gambit.

Looking at the logic of the situation, one could argue that it might be more beneficial for the government simply to destroy the cheese rather than give it away — as that will only further depress the already low prices. But with so many hungry people in the world, that would be political suicide.

So they play the same old political game, which is to bolster big agriculture at the expense of the American consumer.

The dairy advocates say that last year when this happened, 12,000 dairy farms went out of business. (That seems a little high. It might be worth looking into that number a little more closely, but that’s a story for another day.)

The politicians have also come to the rescue. A bipartisan group of 61 congressmen — mostly from dairy-rich states like New York, Pennsylvania and Wisconsin — are lobbying the secretary of agriculture to open up the spigot of taxpayer cash and pour it into their states’ dairy coffers.

The Common Sense taxpayers, meanwhile, have to shake their heads at the notion that their money is being used to buttress an industry that will now be able to charge them more at the checkout counter.

It’s not just dairy. Apparently the cotton industry is looking for a $300 million bailout.

Galen Marvin Ross
Sophomore Participates
5.2.23  seeder  Galen Marvin Ross  replied to  Release The Kraken @5.2.18    6 years ago

I thought that might be the case and, I was ready for the response to it.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
5.2.24  Tessylo  replied to  Galen Marvin Ross @5.2.20    6 years ago

You mean those feral cats as he refers to them?

mocowgirl
Professor Quiet
5.2.25  mocowgirl  replied to  Galen Marvin Ross @5.2.16    6 years ago
Ok then, let's make abortions mandatory for any families with two kids.

No need.  The answer is to make education available to women.  As educational opportunities for women have expanded globally, there has been a natural decrease in population.  Educated women have more economic opportunities, access to medical care (including birth control), and a desire for better lives for themselves and whatever offspring they they choose to have....and for an increasing number that is zero.  Incubating, caring for and educating children is very difficult work.  Not everyone needs to be a parent because they do not have the necessary physical and mental capabilities.  I am hoping that people will quit shaming women who choose not to have children that they do not have the ability to care for and rear.

Industrialized nations have been at less than replacement rate for decades (including the US without illegal immigration).  The women in those nations have had options to live their lives pursuing careers/dreams outside of being a broodmare and a domestic slave.

Galen Marvin Ross
Sophomore Participates
5.2.26  seeder  Galen Marvin Ross  replied to  Kathleen @5.2.11    6 years ago
How many times are you going to use that same stupid pic? It's just a small group of nitwits, it does not speak for 98% of the rest.

First, I didn't say it did speak for the 98% but, it does show that there are "feral cats" already in this country, you don't like the implication then change they way the Conservatives are acting and, talking.

Galen Marvin Ross
Sophomore Participates
5.2.27  seeder  Galen Marvin Ross  replied to  mocowgirl @5.2.15    6 years ago
Very few illegal immigrants work at farm labor.   But even if it was 1 million illegal immigrants, that means that over 10 million are NOT doing farm labor.

There aren't even 10 thousand at the border right now cowgirl so, I doubt they will stress out our eco-system.

charger 383
Professor Silent
5.2.28  charger 383  replied to  Galen Marvin Ross @5.2.20    6 years ago

It is still a burden to some school system in American and continues an unnessasary cost we had with the last bunch 

JBB
Professor Principal
5.2.29  JBB  replied to  mocowgirl @5.2.15    6 years ago

Legal refugees are not "undocumented". There is a big difference between illegal undocumented workers and legal immigrant workers or authorized refugees with green cards. The report you sited is an industry financed study making the point that their own industry does not employ as many illegal undocumented workers as people think according to that same industry's suspect figures. In any case, it does not account for all immigrant but rather strictly those who are illegal sans any papers having never made it past any legal immigration processes like applying for refugee status. Successive waves of immigrants have sustained the poultry industry in your part of the world for a generation. 

mocowgirl
Professor Quiet
5.2.31  mocowgirl  replied to  Galen Marvin Ross @5.2.16    6 years ago
Ok then,

How many of the 3 billion impoverished people do you want to move to the US?

Don't you want to begin with the absolute most impoverished?

Shouldn't the goal to improve conditions so that people don't migrate for economic reasons?

Poverty is on the decline globally and those who are subsisting on less than $1.25 a day are concentrated in five areas — India, China, Nigeria, Bangladesh and the Democratic Republic of Congo.

Eighteen percent of the world’s population was living in extreme poverty in 2010, down from 36 percent in 1990, according to the World Bank study , which was released on April 10 in conjunction with the group’s annual spring conference.

JBB
Professor Principal
5.2.32  JBB  replied to  charger 383 @5.2.28    6 years ago

Rural communities are losing schools due to too few students, also...

Galen Marvin Ross
Sophomore Participates
5.2.33  seeder  Galen Marvin Ross  replied to  Tacos! @5.2.19    6 years ago
If it's just about open space, there is plenty of that in Latin America.

I think JBB was making the point that we aren't "full up" as was suggested earlier.

Galen Marvin Ross
Sophomore Participates
5.2.34  seeder  Galen Marvin Ross  replied to  Kathleen @5.2.21    6 years ago

Ok, I'm not going to flag you since you didn't know but, I was asked by Perrie to better define my red box rules, so I did, anything about the homeless is off topic, if you wish to talk about them start your own seed about it, I'll be happy to come to it and, comment.

charger 383
Professor Silent
5.2.35  charger 383  replied to  Galen Marvin Ross @5.2.16    6 years ago

we need to both reduce our birthrate and severely reduce number of people coming into this country. However a citizen's right to have children is far more important than letting outsiders in for any reason  

mocowgirl
Professor Quiet
5.2.36  mocowgirl  replied to  Galen Marvin Ross @5.2.16    6 years ago

[Deleted]

Galen Marvin Ross
Sophomore Participates
5.2.37  seeder  Galen Marvin Ross  replied to  mocowgirl @5.2.25    6 years ago
Industrialized nations have been at less than replacement rate for decades (including the US without illegal immigration).  The women in those nations have had options to live their lives pursuing careers/dreams outside of being a broodmare and a domestic slave.

True, I'm glad the women in my family listened to their elders, really smart women there, they became career people and, are now teaching their children and, grandchildren the same way. 

But, tell me, how does this relate to the seed? Please take note of the red box rules below the seed.

Galen Marvin Ross
Sophomore Participates
5.2.38  seeder  Galen Marvin Ross  replied to  charger 383 @5.2.35    6 years ago
we need to both reduce our birthrate and severely reduce number of people coming into this country. However a citizen's right to have children is far more important than letting outsiders in for any reason  

Please re-read the red box rules under the seed. thanks.

mocowgirl
Professor Quiet
5.2.40  mocowgirl  replied to  Galen Marvin Ross @5.2.27    6 years ago
There aren't even 10 thousand at the border right now cowgirl so, I doubt they will stress out our eco-system.

Why should the people at the border have precedence over legal immigrant applicants?

Why should the people at the border have precedence over people who live in far worse conditions around  the globe?

Every person who lives "on the grid" in the US puts stress on the global ecosystem.  Every person who drives an auto or used public transportation puts stress on the global ecosystem.  

Galen Marvin Ross
Sophomore Participates
5.2.41  seeder  Galen Marvin Ross  replied to  Kathleen @5.2.39    6 years ago
You must have just did this, I did not see it when I commented.  If you bring up off topic subjects then we can't reply?  I noticed you brought up abortion.

No, you can, since I brought it up but, actually it was cowgirl, I felt it needed an answer.

mocowgirl
Professor Quiet
5.2.42  mocowgirl  replied to  Galen Marvin Ross @5.2.37    6 years ago

If you want to control the conversation then I am wasting my time expressing my viewpoints and research.

charger 383
Professor Silent
5.2.43  charger 383  replied to  Galen Marvin Ross @5.2.38    6 years ago

OK, I'll stay off that topic, but I was pushing a door you opened

Galen Marvin Ross
Sophomore Participates
5.2.45  seeder  Galen Marvin Ross  replied to  mocowgirl @5.2.40    6 years ago
Why should the people at the border have precedence over legal immigrant applicants?

Because some of those people at the border are seeking asylum and, according to U.S. law once they cross the border and, say they are seeking asylum they are no longer illegals and, before they cross the border they aren't illegals.

Why should the people at the border have precedence over people who live in far worse conditions around  the globe?

Are those people applying for asylum at the border, have they gone to a U.S. consulate to ask for refugee status?

Every person who lives "on the grid" in the US puts stress on the global ecosystem.  Every person who drives an auto or used public transportation puts stress on the global ecosystem.  

Are you advocating for the Scrooge approach?

mocowgirl
Professor Quiet
5.2.46  mocowgirl  replied to  Galen Marvin Ross @5.2.37    6 years ago
But, tell me, how does this relate to the seed?

Isn't it in RED that comments about IMMIGRATION are allowed?

The US is at less than replacement rate without immigration (legal and illegal) and has been for decades.

I have spent years reading and researching about how human global population growth is straining the Earth's resources, causing animal/plant extinction, and fueling climate change.....and how the US is at the forefront of exploiting the Earth's resources to the detriment of everyone and everything else on the planet.

We would be lessening our detrimental impact on the environment if it was not for adding more people who consume on US levels.

Galen Marvin Ross
Sophomore Participates
5.2.47  seeder  Galen Marvin Ross  replied to  mocowgirl @5.2.42    6 years ago
If you want to control the conversation then I am wasting my time expressing my viewpoints and research.

I was asked by Perrie to better define my red box rules for the moderators, I did that, you want to complain, talk to her. I was answering your questions and, looking at what you had to offer for information but, if you want to act butt hurt over the rules, well, I don't know what to tell you. I won't have this seed derailed again.

mocowgirl
Professor Quiet
5.2.48  mocowgirl  replied to  Galen Marvin Ross @5.2.45    6 years ago
Are those people applying for asylum at the border,

So people in Bangladesh are screwed because they don't live in close proximity to our border.

have they gone to a U.S. consulate to ask for refugee status?

Neither did anyone at the border.  However, I did some search to understand the refugee process before Trump.

I was pleasantly surprised to see that under Obama the majority of refugees admitted to the US were from war torn and impoverished African and Far East nations.  People who were fortunate enough to live close enough to make it to the southern border were not given precedence over the people who lived in far worse conditions.  The Obama administration admitted just 1340 Latin America/Caribbean refugees in FY2016. 

The majority of this caravan would not have qualified for refugee status in 2016.  Why should it qualify in 2018?

Trump is continuing to admit refugees with the same criteria, just smaller numbers overall.

How U.S. Refugee Admissions Numbers Are Determined

The President, in consultation with Congress, determines the numerical   ceiling for refugee admissions   each year. The State Department and Department of Homeland Security (DHS) are the primary agencies that assess the viability of different refugee populations for admission, as well as the capacity of U.S. government officials to process them. For Fiscal Year (FY) 2018, the   ceiling   was set at an all-time low of 45,000—although the number of refugees expected to actually be allowed into the United States is even lower.

As of August 3, 2018, the largest share of refugees who have come to the United States during   FY 2018   were from Africa, followed by the Near East/South Asia, East Asia, and Latin America/Caribbean. Specifically,

• 44.3 percent (or 8,098) of all   refugee arrivals   have come from Africa—compared to 31,624 in FY 2016 (the last year of the Obama administration).
  • 19.4 percent (or 3,544) of all refugee arrivals have come from the   Near East/South Asia —a region that includes Iraq, Iran, Bhutan, and Afghanistan. In FY 2016, there were 35,555 arrivals from this region.
  • 17 percent (or 3,100) of all refugee arrivals have come from   East Asia —a region that includes China, Vietnam, and Indonesia—compared to 12,518 in FY 2016.
  • 3.9 percent (or 689) of all refugee arrivals have come   from Latin America/Caribbean ,—down from 1,340 in FY 2016.

mocowgirl
Professor Quiet
5.2.49  mocowgirl  replied to  Galen Marvin Ross @5.2.45    6 years ago
Are you advocating for the Scrooge approach?

Nope.  Just stating the facts.

An Inconvenient Truth: The Planetary Emergency of Global Warming and What We Can Do About It  is a 2006 book by  Al Gore released in conjunction with the film  An Inconvenient Truth . It is published by  Rodale Press  in  Emmaus, Pennsylvania , in the United States.

There is no going back to living sustainable lifestyles in any industrialized nation.

Our descendants will pay so that we can party hardy today.

Galen Marvin Ross
Sophomore Participates
5.2.50  seeder  Galen Marvin Ross  replied to  mocowgirl @5.2.48    6 years ago

And, what makes you think that anyone on the left wants it to be any different? What Trump has done and, is doing is blocking any ones chance from the southern border to even apply for asylum, yes, they are allowed to go into the court but, before they do they are asked to sign a letter in English that is not properly translated to them and, then told they can go into the court, once in there they find out from an interpreter that what they signed is a deportation agreement, not an asylum letter. I feel that they should have their cases heard but, the government shouldn't try to trick them into signing anything until they see the judge and, learn their status.

mocowgirl
Professor Quiet
5.2.51  mocowgirl  replied to  JBB @5.2.29    6 years ago

[Deleted]

Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו
Junior Participates
5.3  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו  replied to  charger 383 @5    6 years ago

But that would be a lie.  We've got plenty of room and plenty of jobs for people who are trying to save their families lives and make a better one--IOW, the way this country became great in the first place.  

charger 383
Professor Silent
6  charger 383    6 years ago

If we have to let outsiders in, why take them from the bottom of the barrel?   Successful sports teams pick the best players available,  we should use that example here  

Tessylo
Professor Principal
6.1  Tessylo  replied to  charger 383 @6    6 years ago

So you consider these migrants the bottom of the barrel?  How humane of you.

Just like when you called them feral cats.  

You must be so proud of yourself.  

charger 383
Professor Silent
6.1.2  charger 383  replied to  Tessylo @6.1    6 years ago

I call them like I see them, it is a very good description.  

Galen Marvin Ross
Sophomore Participates
6.1.3  seeder  Galen Marvin Ross  replied to    6 years ago
Please tell us why it would be wise thing to take in thousands of mostly uneducated people with no financial resources or usable skills that would end up on the welfare rolls. Many of whom are likely to be criminals of all sorts, and may carry disease.

It's amazing that the same thing was said about other immigrant groups that came here, the most notable is this one,

A job – a wage – was what they were seeking, and they didn't really care too much about the detail. Being unskilled, uneducated and typically illiterate, they accepted the most menial jobs that other immigrant groups did not want. So-called 'Elegant Society' looked down on them, and so did nearly everyone else!
They were forced to work long hours for minimal pay. Their cheap labour was needed by America's expanding cities for the construction of canals, roads, bridges, railroads and other infrastructure projects, and also found employment in the mining and quarrying industries.

Without them we wouldn't have had an industrial revolution.

JBB
Professor Principal
6.1.4  JBB  replied to  charger 383 @6.1.2    6 years ago

Dehumanizing whole groups of people was a damn Nazis tactic, too...

Feral Cats? Wow! No wonder the damn gop got beat on Nov the 6th...

The gop can't win going forward without appealing to US minorities...

With attitudes like yours do not be surprised when US voters go Blue.

Galen Marvin Ross
Sophomore Participates
6.1.5  seeder  Galen Marvin Ross  replied to  charger 383 @6.1.2    6 years ago

No, it's not. It dehumanizes them.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
6.1.6  Tessylo  replied to  Galen Marvin Ross @6.1.5    6 years ago

It's a good description for those that view our fellow human beings as vermin and disease ridden.  

charger 383
Professor Silent
6.1.7  charger 383  replied to  Galen Marvin Ross @6.1.3    6 years ago
cheap labour was needed 

Do you want to use them in sweatshops, as field labor, ect with  unsafe and unhealthy working conditions, without Union protection like they did then?

as example, Commodore Vanderbilt, head of New York Central Railroad, said he would use safety couplers when they were cheaper than brakeman

I think their cheerleaders would complain about this too 

Galen Marvin Ross
Sophomore Participates
6.1.8  seeder  Galen Marvin Ross  replied to  charger 383 @6.1.7    6 years ago
Do you want to use them in sweatshops, as field labor, ect with  unsafe and unhealthy working conditions, without Union protection like they did then?

It's amazing, I provide more than a four word claim that immigrants have been denigrated by our society over the century's and, that is all you get out of it, those four words.

charger 383
Professor Silent
6.1.9  charger 383  replied to  Galen Marvin Ross @6.1.8    6 years ago

I get that they could be used to drive down working conditions for Citizens.  Destroying hard won improvements that took years to get.  Jobs going overseas is bad enough, now you want to bring in outsiders to finish off the American worker, Unions and the middle class 

charger 383
Professor Silent
6.1.11  charger 383  replied to    6 years ago

seems they don't mind hurting those that supported them in past  

JBB
Professor Principal
6.1.12  JBB  replied to    6 years ago

Nothing as stupid as the gop welcoming racist Dixiecrats in 1972...

Junior Participates
6.1.13  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו  replied to  Tessylo @6.1    6 years ago
So you consider these migrants the bottom of the barrel? 

Which is weird for any American (except the original ones) to think.  It's likely saying, "yes, I came from trash." 

Junior Participates
6.1.14  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו  replied to  charger 383 @6.1.2    6 years ago

So you consider your  immigrant ancestors trash as well.  The people that preceded them probably did.  

Galen Marvin Ross
Sophomore Participates
6.2  seeder  Galen Marvin Ross  replied to  charger 383 @6    6 years ago
If we have to let outsiders in, why take them from the bottom of the barrel?   Successful sports teams pick the best players available,  we should use that example here

So, I guess from what you stated that if you had lived back in the 1800's you wouldn't have taken in the Irish, the Italians, the Poles or, any of those folks that came over back then.

charger 383
Professor Silent
6.2.1  charger 383  replied to  Galen Marvin Ross @6.2    6 years ago

were they the best available at the time and did we have room for them and a need?

charger 383
Professor Silent
6.2.3  charger 383  replied to  Galen Marvin Ross @6.2    6 years ago

As example, When James J Hill built the Great Northern Railroad, his agents selected the best immigrants with cold weather farming experience and needed skills to settle along his railroad.  There was land and a need then 

Galen Marvin Ross
Sophomore Participates
6.2.5  seeder  Galen Marvin Ross  replied to  charger 383 @6.2.1    6 years ago
were they the best available at the time and did we have room for them and a need?

According to the people living at the time in America no, we had no use for them, we didn't have room for them and, according to the "Americans" at the time, they too were vermin.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
6.2.6  Tessylo  replied to    6 years ago

Especially when they're coming from shithole countries right, like the shithole 'president' said?

Galen Marvin Ross
Sophomore Participates
6.2.7  seeder  Galen Marvin Ross  replied to    6 years ago
But we did take them in via Ellis Island, and not everyone got in because they had rules back in those common sense days.

And, we have laws today as well, they must go before an immigration judge and, have their cases heard, the judge makes the decision not you, not the border patrol, not Trump.

Would you favor an "Ellis Island" approach at the points of entry, instead of them forcing their way over and through walls and end up getting hurt or tear gassed?

We had that until Trump got a wild hair up his ass and, tried to prove he was more Obama than Obama.

Do you simply want the least desirable to be admitted  for their possible future Democratic votes?

Ummm, that's the way its been in this country for century's.

JBB
Professor Principal
6.2.8  JBB  replied to    6 years ago

Agri-businesses begging for laborers all across rural America disagree...

Galen Marvin Ross
Sophomore Participates
6.2.9  seeder  Galen Marvin Ross  replied to  charger 383 @6.2.3    6 years ago
As example, When James J Hill built the Great Northern Railroad, his agents selected the best immigrants with cold weather farming experience and needed skills to settle along his railroad. 

It was more because, no one with any "common sense" wanted to settle in "Indian" territory and, try to farm "unfarmable land", the Irish weren't having a lot of "luck" in the city's finding jobs so, when the offer came they jumped on it.

charger 383
Professor Silent
6.2.10  charger 383  replied to  Galen Marvin Ross @6.2.9    6 years ago

No the Irish were not the ones he charged $10 to haul to settle beside his railroad 

Galen Marvin Ross
Sophomore Participates
6.2.11  seeder  Galen Marvin Ross  replied to  charger 383 @6.2.10    6 years ago

Splain's the accents in Minnesota.

Galen Marvin Ross
Sophomore Participates
6.2.12  seeder  Galen Marvin Ross  replied to  charger 383 @6.2.3    6 years ago
As example, When James J Hill built the Great Northern Railroad, his agents selected the best immigrants with cold weather farming experience and needed skills to settle along his railroad.  There was land and a need then 

Actually Charger this doesn't answer the question I asked you, "Would YOU accept the Irish, Italians and, Poles if YOU had lived back then?"

charger 383
Professor Silent
6.2.13  charger 383  replied to  Galen Marvin Ross @6.2.12    6 years ago

I don't think anybody can give a good answer to a question like that.

Because I don't know what position I might have been in, I can not give you an answer 

JBB
Professor Principal
6.2.15  JBB  replied to    6 years ago

Processing plants operate year round as do ranches, pig farms and poultry houses, in case you didn't know. In fact, demand for ranch labor increases significantly in winter when ice must be broken and cattle must be fed. What do you think farmers do all winter? Lay around, eat bonbons and sleep?

Junior Participates
6.2.16  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו  replied to  charger 383 @6.2.1    6 years ago

You're not qualified to make either of those determinations.  

charger 383
Professor Silent
6.2.17  charger 383  replied to  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו @6.2.16    6 years ago

you were not there either, do you think you are qualified?   

Junior Participates
6.2.18  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו  replied to  charger 383 @6.2.17    6 years ago

I am not and never claimed to be...you on the other hand, well, you aren't and made them anyway.  

JBB
Professor Principal
7  JBB    6 years ago

The Irish and Italians were all dehumanized by the Know Nothings of Olde, too...

The anti-Immigrant nativist nationalist racists in the gop are nothing new, either.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
7.1  Texan1211  replied to  JBB @7    6 years ago

Will some EVER, EVER learn the difference between being against ILLEGAL IMMIGRATION and LEGAL IMMIGRATION?

JBB
Professor Principal
7.1.1  JBB  replied to  Texan1211 @7.1    6 years ago

It is legal to approach any US border or port of entry to ask for asylum...

Texan1211
Professor Principal
7.1.2  Texan1211  replied to  JBB @7.1.1    6 years ago

Yeah, but it isn't legal to try to breach our borders.

Galen Marvin Ross
Sophomore Participates
7.1.3  seeder  Galen Marvin Ross  replied to  Texan1211 @7.1.2    6 years ago
Yeah, but it isn't legal to try to breach our borders.

Actually, it is if you are seeking asylum.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
7.1.4  Texan1211  replied to  Galen Marvin Ross @7.1.3    6 years ago

Please quote the section of law that states that. Code numbers would be fine.

Galen Marvin Ross
Sophomore Participates
7.1.5  seeder  Galen Marvin Ross  replied to  Texan1211 @7.1.4    6 years ago

8 U.S. Code § 1158 - Asylum

Tacos!
Professor Guide
7.1.6  Tacos!  replied to  Galen Marvin Ross @7.1.3    6 years ago
it is if you are seeking asylum

Throwing rocks and bottles and Border Patrol agents is not the action of someone seeking asylum. When you bust through the fence and run from authorities, you are clearly not seeking asylum.

Galen Marvin Ross
Sophomore Participates
7.1.7  seeder  Galen Marvin Ross  replied to  Tacos! @7.1.6    6 years ago
Throwing rocks and bottles and Border Patrol agents is not the action of someone seeking asylum.

True, the report said that there were agitators in the group, it doesn't mean that everyone of the migrants were there throwing rocks and, bottles.

When you bust through the fence and run from authorities, you are clearly not seeking asylum.

When the authority's are shooting teargas at you and, firing guns at you, you would have to be pretty stupid to run towards them.

GregTx
PhD Guide
7.1.8  GregTx  replied to  Galen Marvin Ross @7.1.7    6 years ago

I would think that choosing to approach those authorities in the company of an antagonistic, rock throwing gang might indicate that at least some of them might be pretty stupid.

Tacos!
Professor Guide
7.1.9  Tacos!  replied to  Galen Marvin Ross @7.1.7    6 years ago
When the authority's are shooting teargas at you

I am not aware of them shooting teargas at anyone who had crossed the border already. What would be the point? If you are seeking asylum at that point, yeah, you run to the immigration authorities who are probably not trying to gas you anymore.

firing guns at you

Ok, come on. The Border Patrol agents are not shooting people. At worst, they might use rubber bullets (which can hurt a lot, to be sure), but I haven't seen reliable, specific reporting on that. Certainly nothing on the order of real bullets. I don't know why they would use weapons on anyone who was running away from them.

Galen Marvin Ross
Sophomore Participates
7.1.10  seeder  Galen Marvin Ross  replied to  Tacos! @7.1.9    6 years ago
Ok, come on. The Border Patrol agents are not shooting people. At worst, they might use rubber bullets (which can hurt a lot, to be sure), but I haven't seen reliable, specific reporting on that. Certainly nothing on the order of real bullets.

Here ya go,

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
8  Jasper2529    6 years ago

It's interesting that both AP and MSNBC forgot to mention that the previous administration also released tear gas on migrants who tried to illegally cross our southern border and that the current migrants also provoked US border agents by throwing rocks and bottles at them.

Democrats are expressing outrage that U.S. border agents on Sunday shot rounds of tear gas at caravan migrants who threw rocks at law enforcement while trying to breach the U.S.-Mexico border. But critics hammering the Trump administration are glossing over a similar episode that occurred under then-President Barack Obama.

In 2013, during the Obama administration, Border Patrol agents   reportedly used pepper spray   to fend off a group of approximately 100 migrants who attempted to rush the same San Ysidro port of entry.

A San Diego Union-Tribune article at the time said agents fired "pepper balls" and used other “intermediate use-of-force devices” to repel the crowd. The migrants in that confrontation also reportedly threw rocks and bottles at U.S. authorities.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
8.1  Texan1211  replied to  Jasper2529 @8    6 years ago

When it is done by a Democratic Administration, it is for strictly "humanitarian reasons", while under a Republican Administration, it is the worst thing that could happen on the border.

Now, you damn well better start remembering the double standard!

1stwarrior
Professor Participates
8.2  1stwarrior  replied to  Jasper2529 @8    6 years ago

Add to that, the story from the BP Agent in charge -

The chief Border Patrol agent for the sector of the southern border that was the target of Sunday’s rush by illegal immigrants to force their way into the U.S. said the migrants trying to storm the border were hardly peaceful.

And he said it in no uncertain terms.

“What I saw on the border yesterday was not people walking up to Border Patrol agents and asking to claim asylum,” said Rodney Scott, chief patrol agent of the Border Patrol’s San Diego Sector, during an appearance on CNN’s “ New Day .”

“I kind of challenge that it was a peaceful protest or that the majority of these people were claiming asylum,” Scott said.

Scott said the migrants put women and children to the front of the crowd as human shields while others behind them threw rocks at Border Patrol agents.

“What we saw over and over yesterday was the group, the caravan, would push women and children towards the front and then, basically, ‘rocking’ our agents,” he said.

https://www.westernjournal.com/chief-border-patrol-agents-attacks-narrative-migrants-peaceful-defends-use-tear-gas/?utm_source=Facebook&utm_medium=PostTopSharingButtons&utm_content=2018-11-26&utm_campaign=websitesharingbuttons&fbclid=IwAR2OztBIXbTVXQ9iCyWrCrzxlG1MCio9bB4xDb5gm1sqfHl64qmouuXY3_U

Gee - looks like something the Palestinians or ISIS would do, eh?  Yeah, let's get the momma's and kiddies killed while we throw rocks and other crap.

Galen Marvin Ross
Sophomore Participates
8.2.1  seeder  Galen Marvin Ross  replied to  1stwarrior @8.2    6 years ago

Western journal and, Face Book, good sources. jrSmiley_10_smiley_image.gif

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
8.2.2  Jasper2529  replied to  Galen Marvin Ross @8.2.1    6 years ago
Western journal and, Face Book, good sources.

Attacking the source never works, Galen. If you opened the WJ link you would have seen CNN's interview with chief patrol agent of the Border Patrol’s San Diego Sector, Rodney Scott. He gave a very accurate assessment.

Galen Marvin Ross
Sophomore Participates
8.2.3  seeder  Galen Marvin Ross  replied to  Jasper2529 @8.2.2    6 years ago
If you opened the WJ link you would have seen CNN's interview with chief patrol agent of the Border Patrol’s San Diego Sector, Rodney Scott. He gave a very accurate assessment.

The first few words in the article tells me everything I need to know about the Western Journal,

The chief Border Patrol agent for the sector of the southern border that was the target of Sunday’s rush by illegal immigrants

How can they be illegal until they cross into the U.S. and, don't claim asylum or, have their asylum application denied by a judge? The article starts with the premise that anyone crossing the southern border MUST be illegal. As far as the border agent is concerned, who is his boss and, who does she work for?

It Is ME
Masters Guide
8.2.5  It Is ME  replied to  Galen Marvin Ross @8.2.3    6 years ago
How can they be illegal until they cross into the U.S. and, don't claim asylum or, have their asylum application denied by a judge?

So then it's an "Invasion".....right ?

Tessylo
Professor Principal
8.3  Tessylo  replied to  Jasper2529 @8    6 years ago
Will some EVER, EVER learn the difference between being against ILLEGAL IMMIGRATION and LEGAL IMMIGRATION?

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
8.3.1  Jasper2529  replied to  Tessylo @8.3    6 years ago
8.3 Tessylo replied to  Jasper2529 @ 8   17 minutes ago
Will some  EVER, EVER  learn the difference between being against  ILLEGAL IMMIGRATION  and  LEGAL IMMIGRATION?

Why are you attributing that quote to me, Tessy? In comment  8  ,  I never said what you claim I said.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
8.3.2  Texan1211  replied to  Jasper2529 @8.3.1    6 years ago

[Deleted]

Tessylo
Professor Principal
8.3.3  Tessylo  replied to  Jasper2529 @8.3.1    6 years ago

[Deleted]

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
8.3.4  Jasper2529  replied to  Tessylo @8.3.3    6 years ago

I asked you a simple question that needed a simple answer.  Deleted - Jasper was used for meta without consent.  

Tessylo
Professor Principal
9  Tessylo    6 years ago

That's all the gop/republicans have - double standards.  The only standards they have.  

JBB
Professor Principal
10  JBB    6 years ago

Then why are our ICE agents NOT breaking down doors at Trump Towers?

Because rich Russians and Arabs can afford to hire immigration lawyers...

We don't need more Chinese realestate investors. We do need hog gutters.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
10.1  Texan1211  replied to  JBB @10    6 years ago

Please provide any links to any real evidence that would suggest to anyone that ICE needs to break down doors at Trump Tower.

JBB
Professor Principal
10.1.2  JBB  replied to  Texan1211 @10.1    6 years ago

It is a fact. Look it up yourself. I'm not falling for that ruse again. Trump even admitted that he makes a killing selling condos to rich illegal immigrants who skip visas, claim refugee status and then hire million dolkar immigration lawyersand. Jerod's family business is infamous for helping their illegal clients manipulate the law. Of course, they are all rich...

Texan1211
Professor Principal
10.1.3  Texan1211  replied to  JBB @10.1.2    6 years ago

So, no proof, as I suspected all along.

Couching your refusal to provide proof as some kind of "trap" is amusing at best

JBB
Professor Principal
10.1.5  JBB  replied to    6 years ago

Prove it then,..

charger 383
Professor Silent
10.2  charger 383  replied to  JBB @10    6 years ago

We do need hog gutters

and letting foreigners in will drive down wages for hog gutters   

charger 383
Professor Silent
10.3  charger 383  replied to  JBB @10    6 years ago
We don't need more Chinese realestate investors

they are a problem too

It Is ME
Masters Guide
11  It Is ME    6 years ago

Poor KIDS ! jrSmiley_89_smiley_image.gif

Imagine having a "Parent" that would put you in "Harms Way" !

Okay sweetie, we're gonna run towards possible danger. I'll be right "Behind You" ! jrSmiley_84_smiley_image.gif

charger 383
Professor Silent
11.1  charger 383  replied to  It Is ME @11    6 years ago

[deleted]

It Is ME
Masters Guide
11.1.1  It Is ME  replied to  charger 383 @11.1    6 years ago

[deleted]

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
11.1.2  Jasper2529  replied to  charger 383 @11.1    6 years ago

Deleted by Jasper.

charger 383
Professor Silent
12  charger 383    6 years ago

If while on other side of our border, in view of US authorities, someone does something that shows they are not willing to follow US laws should they be let in?  

It Is ME
Masters Guide
13  It Is ME    6 years ago

[Deleted]

Sophomore Guide
13.1  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu   replied to  It Is ME @13    6 years ago

[Deleted]

It Is ME
Masters Guide
13.1.1  It Is ME  replied to  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu @13.1    6 years ago

[Deleted]

Sophomore Guide
13.1.2  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu   replied to  It Is ME @13.1.1    6 years ago

[Deleted]

It Is ME
Masters Guide
13.1.3  It Is ME  replied to  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu @13.1.2    6 years ago

[Deleted]

Sophomore Guide
13.1.4  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu   replied to  It Is ME @13.1.3    6 years ago

[Deleted]

It Is ME
Masters Guide
13.1.5  It Is ME  replied to  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu @13.1.4    6 years ago

jrSmiley_13_smiley_image.gif

Galen Marvin Ross
Sophomore Participates
13.1.6  seeder  Galen Marvin Ross  replied to  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu @13.1.4    6 years ago

If you had paid attention and, read the article you would have seen the red box rules.

Sophomore Guide
13.1.7  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu   replied to  Galen Marvin Ross @13.1.6    6 years ago
If you had paid attention and, read the article you would have seen the red box rules.

LOL I'll try that next time. I just looked at the picture this time too much I guess. 

Galen Marvin Ross
Sophomore Participates
13.1.8  seeder  Galen Marvin Ross  replied to  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu @13.1.7    6 years ago

It got so bad yesterday, I had to reseed it and, that's when I added the rules, Perrie made me define it a little more a few minutes ago and, now, this is what we got. Thanks for understanding.

It Is ME
Masters Guide
13.1.9  It Is ME  replied to  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu @13.1.7    6 years ago

At least we didn't do this:

"well Obama or, well Hillary" memes. jrSmiley_81_smiley_image.gif

Sophomore Guide
13.1.10  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu   replied to  Galen Marvin Ross @13.1.8    6 years ago
It got so bad yesterday, I had to reseed it

Well thanks for seeding stuff at all. I dont usually because I'm not willing to put up with the BS. 

I have a tenancy to let people say whatever they want. that's frowned on highly here. This site is set up to stay civil and organized. 

That's good for the site, but for me not my preferred style. I don't take any of his too seriously and when people show their true self I am OK with it. Even if they are a total asswipe cause, that's how some people actually are. 

Galen Marvin Ross
Sophomore Participates
14  seeder  Galen Marvin Ross    6 years ago

Ok, closing for the night, I've been up all day.

Galen Marvin Ross
Sophomore Participates
15  seeder  Galen Marvin Ross    6 years ago

Is open, obey the rules.