╌>

Song Covers, For Better Or Worse

Category:  Entertainment

By:  wheel  •  4 years ago  •  98 comments

Song Covers, For Better Or Worse
“The man that hath no music in himself, Nor is not moved with concord of sweet sounds, Is fit for treasons, stratagems, and spoils; The motions of his spirit are dull as night, And his affections dark as Erebus. Let no such man be trusted. Mark the music.” ― William Shakespeare

Buzz and I have decided to co-host an article about cover songs, meaning songs being played by people other than the original artists. We thought it could be a really fun thing to do because there is a LOT of ground to cover out there.  Some covers have become more popular than the original versions, one that comes to mind right away is Johnny Cash covering "Hurt" which was written by Trent Reznor and originally performed by NIN, Nine Inch Nails.  When I first heard of it I was floored by the idea of a major country star covering a song by a metal group, especially a song with a controversial topic like heroin addiction.  On reflection, it made sense since Cash had his own problems with addiction and overcame them.  Reznor, after hearing Cash's version, said that 'he owns that song now." 

johnny-cash-lyrics-fb-Facebook-Profile-T

There are Nina Simone (another famous North Carolina artist) songs that have been covered by so many artists that many people have no idea who the original artist was.  One that has been covered and re-interpreted so many times that most people will recognize it even though they don't know who first sang it is "Sinner Man".   Ever heard the line, "I ran to the rock to hide my face"?  Yeah, it's like that.

On the other hand, there are artists that built a career on covers.  Johnny Rivers was called the King of Covers for his famous covers of other bands' songs.  He's the guy who sang Secret Agent Man, that was not a cover. But other songs he charted with, for example Summer Rain, were covers.

MI0000369490.jpg?partner=allrovi.com

Linda Ronstadt was known as the songwriter's friend for her covers of songs and her willingness to attribute not just the original singer, but also the writer.  Most song writers fly under the radar even when the songs they wrote are hits.  Not every songwriter is as well known as Hoagy Carmichael or Leonard Cohen.

And of course there are just really good covers by singers, groups and bands that are local or regional favorites.  I have a LOT of those types of favorites by great North Carolina bands like the Avett Brothers and Mandolin Orange.  I'm sure Buzz does too.  This is the kind of article that can generate days worth of play lists.

336948014.jpg?mw=1920&mh=1080&q=70

(Mandolin Orange)

We do ask, in deference to the fact that Buzz is behind a firewall that doesn't allow him to view YouTube, that you please make sure to post the name of the song, the group doing the cover, and ,if you know it, the original artist in addition to a link.

On a personal note, there was a bit of bickering and hurt feelings over a comment I made on my last article.  I don't apologize, as I did nothing wrong.  I do ask that everyone just take it easy and let little things slide.  We're just trying to have a good time and share some good songs here. I'm going to turn this over to Buzz now, who I'm sure will have something interesting and informative to add. Now I'm going back to listening to music, reading books and smoking pot.  And I'm really looking forward to what you all bring to the party. Because, let's be real, these kinds of articles aren't written by just me, but by us.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks, Wheel.  It should be known to all that this article was Wheel's idea, and I thought it was so good I wanted to be part of it.  These days, being voluntarily home-imprisoned because of the virus, I too am listening to music, reading books, and also watching movies and spending too much time on the computer, but instead of smoking pot I'm filling myself too much with what's in the fridge. 

th?id=OIP.LpbK-3nPyP5mx9z7i9TiWwHaE2&pid

(Leonard Cohen and Judy Collins)

As many know, I'm a big movie fan, and in a way I feel there is a similarity between song covers and movie remakes and reboots.  With movies, same as with songs, the newer versions, according to personal taste, can be considered better or worse than the originals. Because Leonard Cohen is (was) my favourite songwriter, even though so many of his songs have been covered by so many musicians, I still prefer his singing them not because of his voice, but because of his style of delivery, which matches the words and meanings, even though, for example, a singer like Judy Collins has a much sweeter voice while singing Suzanne, I would rather listen to an early version of Cohen singing it.  I feel the same way about Dylan's earlier singing of his songs, but because his voice later became more of a screech, for those I would prefer to listen to a cover. 

There are so many songs that became much more famous as covers, some examples being Whitney Houston singing Dolly Parton's I Will Always Love You, or a couple of songs Elvis popularized, such as Carl Perkins' Blue Suede Shoes, or Big Mama Thornton's I Ain't Nothin' But A Hound Dog.  A more famous singer or group can make a lot of money for the original singer-songwriter, an example being CSNY's Woodstock that was written by Joni Mitchell (not that unpopular herself but of course if you think of the song you're bound to think of CSNY singing it), or Johnny Cash singing Ring of Fire that was originally written and sung by Anita Carter (family relationship there since Johnny married Anita's daughter June).  Another such example could be Janis Joplin singing Kris Kristofferson's Me and Bobby McGee.

Janis-Joplin-Me-And-Bobby-McGee-15482766

In my opinion, there will never be a more unique cover than how Jimi Hendrix played The Star Spangled Banner at Woodstock.

jimi-hendrix-spangled-solo-featured-735x

As I said previously, sometimes even the original singer-songwriter prefers another person's version of their song, such as when Bob Dylan heard Ramblin' Jack Elliott sing and guitar pick Don't Think Twice, he told Jack "I give ya that song, Jack".

So what covers are your favourites?  What I would really like to see here, although it's most often been ignored when I asked, is that instead of just making a simple list of songs because anyone can do that,  GIVE A REASON for your choice(s), and limit them to no more that three. Anyone can just post titles, but your REASONS can lead to interesting discussions, and make this article more worth the space it occupies. 

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Wheel
Freshman Quiet
1  author  Wheel    4 years ago

I am going to start us off with an oldie but a goodie, Willie Nelson's cover of Stardust. I've always loved this song, it's one of those songs that touch me in a way that is hard to describe. If you want to hear the original look  up Hoagie Carmicheal's original version. It's worth it.

I have a hundred covers songs that I could flood this discussion with, but I'll refrain and look forward to what the rest of you have to say. Buzz will join us this evening, my time.

Kavika
Professor Principal
1.1  Kavika   replied to  Wheel @1    4 years ago

Stardust by Willie Nelson is one of my all-time favorite songs and albums. I 've had that CD for years and simply love it. 

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
1.2  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Wheel @1    4 years ago

I liked the way Leon Russel sang Dylan's A Hard Rain's A'Gonna Fall. He has a great voice and made the song sound poetic.  To me it sounded like a river flowing.

leonrussell-1973.jpg

Although there are many covers for Dylan's Don't Think Twice, I watched Ramblin' Jack Elliott sing and guitar pick that song the way it really needed to be done.  

th?id=OIP.iE-XCXMF5WP6Ax67G1257QHaFj&pid

You can probably find both of those on YouTube.

Updating my comment, Jack wrote very little himself, but performed mostly covers.  One of his covers was Rock Island Line.  When he played it he could strum his guitar in such a way to actually make it sound like a train, and now and then the higher pitched train whistle.  Here is a little history about that song from Wiki:

"Rock Island Line" is an American blues/folk song performed and first recorded by  Lead Belly  in the 1930s. Versions have been recorded by other artists. The song is ostensibly about the Chicago, Rock Island and Pacific Railroad.
The chorus to the old song reads:
The Rock Island Line is a mighty good road
The Rock Island Line is the road to ride
The Rock Island Line is a mighty good road
If you want to ride you gotta ride it like you find it
Get your ticket at the station for the Rock Island Line
The verses tell a humorous story about a train operator who smuggled pig iron through a toll gate by claiming all he had on board was livestock. According to Harry Lewman Music, [Huddie] Lead Belly and John and Alan Lomax supposedly first heard it from [a] prison work gang during their travels in 1934/35. It was sung a cappella. Huddie sang and performed this song, finally settling on a format where he portrayed, in song, a train engineer asking the depot agent to let his train start out on the main line.
Jack's version of South Coast
Whenever Jack came to Toronto I always watched his performances, usually in a coffee house. After I had heard him perform it once, I always asked him to sing South Coast.  When he did, in such an emotional and haunting manner, it could make the hair on the back of your neck stand up on end.
As for the song's history, "the song "South Coast," which is credited to Lillian Bos Ross, Sam Eskin & Rich Dehr, was originally a poem by Ms. Ross (Eskin is credited with the melody; Dehr's contribution is unclear)."
Here are the lyrics.  I cannot find a source here for a video, but it's bound to be on YouTube because it's also been recorded by The Kingston Trio and Arlo Guthrie. 
My name is Juanano de Castro
My father was a Spanish Grandee
But I won my wife in a card game
To hell with those lords o'er the sea

Well the South Coast is wild coast and lonely
You might win in a game at Cholon
But a lion still rules the Barranca
And a man there is always alone

I played in a card game at Jolon
I played there with an outlaw named Juan
And after I'd taken his money
I staked all against his daughter Dawn

I picked up the ace... l had won her
My heart it was down at my feet
Jumped up to my throat in a hurry
Like a young summer's day she was sweet

He opened the door to the kitchen
And he called the girl out with a curse
Saying "Take her, Goddamn her, you've won her
She's yours now for better or worse"

Her arms had to tighten around me
As we rode down the hills to the south
Not a word did I hear from her that day
Nor a kiss from her pretty young mouth

But that was a gay happy winter
We carved on a cradle of pine
By the fire in that neat little cabin
And I sang with that gay wife of mine

That night I got hurt in a landslide
Crushed hip and twice broken bone
She saddled her pony like lightning
And rode off for the doctor in Cholon

The lion screamed in the Barranca
Buck, he bolted and he fell on his side
My young wife lay dead in the moonlight
My heart died that night with my bride

Wheel
Freshman Quiet
1.2.1  author  Wheel  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @1.2    4 years ago

Here it is from YouTube, Rambling Jack Elliott, South Coast

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
1.2.2  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Wheel @1.2.1    4 years ago

Thanks - I can't open it but others can enjoy it.

cjcold
Professor Quiet
4  cjcold    4 years ago

I submit "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield (which became CSNY). Covered by many.

cjcold
Professor Quiet
4.1  cjcold  replied to  cjcold @4    4 years ago

Also the Tears for Fears song "Mad World" has been covered by almost everybody.

Wheel
Freshman Quiet
4.1.1  author  Wheel  replied to  cjcold @4.1    4 years ago

Including Postmodern Jukebox. Posted a link to it farther down

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
6  JohnRussell    4 years ago

Since The Game Of Love sung by Gregg Alexander isnt technically a cover, since he wrote the song, its still a cover to most listeners. 

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
9  JohnRussell    4 years ago

DON'T LET ME DOWN - Across The Universe

Wheel
Freshman Quiet
9.1  author  Wheel  replied to  JohnRussell @9    4 years ago

I liked it, felt sorry for girl who didn't make it

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
10  JohnRussell    4 years ago

TAKE ON ME - Sara Bareilles

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
11  JohnRussell    4 years ago

WHATS GOING ON - Chaka Khan

Wheel
Freshman Quiet
11.1  author  Wheel  replied to  JohnRussell @11    4 years ago

An absolutely beautiful cover of Marvin Gaye's song, What's Going On.

I really appreciate how this highlights  Chaka Khan's voice. Delightful.

Wheel
Freshman Quiet
12  author  Wheel    4 years ago

Take on Me by Sara Barielles

I am a fan of Sara and love a lot of her music. Not sure about this one. Will have to give it another listen later

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
12.1  JohnRussell  replied to  Wheel @12    4 years ago

I like it, totally different tempo from the original. Emphasizes the lyrics. 

Wheel
Freshman Quiet
12.1.1  author  Wheel  replied to  JohnRussell @12.1    4 years ago

I came back and gave it another listen.  As is often the case, on second listen it was better than I thought. I think wasn't expecting the slower tempo and it threw me for a bit

Dean Moriarty
Professor Quiet
13  Dean Moriarty    4 years ago

The Talking Heads covering Al Greens Take Me To The River. 

Wheel
Freshman Quiet
13.1  author  Wheel  replied to  Dean Moriarty @13    4 years ago

Great cover! Loved it.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
13.2  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Dean Moriarty @13    4 years ago

Excellent one Dean!

Old Hermit
Sophomore Silent
14  Old Hermit    4 years ago

Like most people these days think of Kris Kristofferson's "Me and Bobby McGee" as Janis Joplin's song so too do most people think "Santana's song" when they hear "Black Magic Woman", Peter Greens song.

I have to admit I'm partial to Greens original version being a BIG Green fan ever since his days with John Mayall's bluesbreakers and then, of course, Fleetwood Mac.

Santana - Black Magic Woman 1971

Fleetwood Mac Peter Green - Black Magic Woman (Live Boston Tea Party) 1970

Wheel
Freshman Quiet
14.1  author  Wheel  replied to  Old Hermit @14    4 years ago

This is the kind of thing we mentioned in the article.  Covers that become as well known, or MORE well known than the original. I've been a Santana fan since I was high school. Good choice.

igknorantzrulz
PhD Quiet
14.1.1  igknorantzrulz  replied to  Wheel @14.1    4 years ago

Chris Cornell     Billie Jean

Wheel
Freshman Quiet
14.1.2  author  Wheel  replied to  igknorantzrulz @14.1.1    4 years ago

Now see, if it wasn't for the this article I'd never have got to here this great version. If I ran a radio station I would use it to broaden some horizons, and a lot of the songs here would get the airplay they deserve.

igknorantzrulz
PhD Quiet
14.1.3  igknorantzrulz  replied to  Wheel @14.1.2    4 years ago

Cornell, was my favorite singer songwriter.

Saw him a few times with Soundgarden back in the 90's, , with Audioslave multiple times (Awesome show at Roseland Ballroom), many times in Atlantic City, solo and acoustic, and a few times when Soundgarden reunited, including a trip out to Red Rocks in Colorado.

What a waste, just like Lane, Andrew Wood, and so many others who either OD'd , or took their own lives, again,

what a waste            of true talent.

igknorantzrulz
PhD Quiet
14.2  igknorantzrulz  replied to  Old Hermit @14    4 years ago

Jordan Cook aka Reignwolf cover of Fleetwood Macs'    The Chain

igknorantzrulz
PhD Quiet
14.3  igknorantzrulz  replied to  Old Hermit @14    4 years ago

John Mayall's Bluesbreakers       Bad ass stuff !

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
16  Perrie Halpern R.A.    4 years ago

Most of the time, I like the original more than any cover, but this one song is just so much better than the original. It's Bruce Hornsby doing Elton John's Madman across the water. In fact, there are about 3 other ones on that album that are pretty great, too 

Wheel
Freshman Quiet
16.1  author  Wheel  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @16    4 years ago

I think you're right, this one is better than the original

Wheel
Freshman Quiet
17  author  Wheel    4 years ago

This one of Buzz. It's probably my favorite song by a clown. Puddles the giant clown sings Leonard Cohen's Hallelujah.

Puddles is a really good singer with a lot great music videos out there.

Wheel
Freshman Quiet
17.1  author  Wheel  replied to  Wheel @17    4 years ago

Sorry, I meant it was for Buzz

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
17.1.1  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Wheel @17.1    4 years ago

LOL.  I thought so.   Even though there are many covers of it, I still prefer Cohen singing it with a choir.  It's how he says the words, spaces them, like the very way he pauses and says "Do yuh".    

Wheel
Freshman Quiet
18  author  Wheel    4 years ago

Ok, so here's a duet with Puddles and Haley Reinhart covering Mad World. I used to have a crush on Haley, but I got over it. Now it's just infatuation.

Wheel
Freshman Quiet
18.1  author  Wheel  replied to  Wheel @18    4 years ago

Scott Bradlee, the pianist in this video, has spent the last few years putting together ensemble casts of great performers, singers, dancers, musicians....and the tambourine guy, forsooth. They do covers, but not like most people do covers. I could fill this feed up with PMJ music but I'm restraining myself to only one. He's the founder and driving force behind PMJ, Postmodern Jukebox.  He put this particular video together pretty much on the spot.  Puddles was there, Scott called Haley, asked if she could come by and to bring a hat.  The 2 performers and Scott put this video together in just a few hours and taped it in one take.  That's what professional means.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
19  JohnRussell    4 years ago

Best blued eyed soul in recent years, PAUL CARRACK. Does a lot of covers. 

WHAT DOES IT TAKE - Paul Carrack

Wheel
Freshman Quiet
19.1  author  Wheel  replied to  JohnRussell @19    4 years ago

Great sax, which is really the heart of that tune, good singer, tight group. Thumbs up

igknorantzrulz
PhD Quiet
19.1.1  igknorantzrulz  replied to  Wheel @19.1    4 years ago

Mad Season  Don't want to be a soldier

possibly/probably not your cup of tea, buthttps://youtu.be/egkmYMXw488[jrEmbed module="jrYouTube" youtube_id="egkmYMXw488"] some excelent Sax meets Grunge jamming

Hell of a collaboration between Alice in Chains and Pearl Jam back in mid 90's

Wheel
Freshman Quiet
19.1.2  author  Wheel  replied to  igknorantzrulz @19.1.1    4 years ago

pretty good jam, a little long, good energy, good vibe

igknorantzrulz
PhD Quiet
19.1.3  igknorantzrulz  replied to  Wheel @19.1.2    4 years ago

glad to see your open ness, to what probably isn't your first choice genre, but when you mentioned horns, this song came to mind.

good seed by Buzz and yourself 

igknorantzrulz
PhD Quiet
20  igknorantzrulz    4 years ago

Rival Sons covering The Rolling Stones    Wild Horses

Wheel
Freshman Quiet
20.1  author  Wheel  replied to  igknorantzrulz @20    4 years ago

Rival Sons covering Wild Horses.

I more than love this. It takes me right back through time to days spent at my grandpa's house when I was a kid. Grandpa on his guitar with a glass of moonshine sitting on the floor beside him. My uncle Joel and his guitar, a lit cigarette stuck behind the strings, playing for me and grandma. They would do the good old songs from the mountains my grandpa came from. Singing, playing, and swaying back and forth. Thanks for taking me back there.

igknorantzrulz
PhD Quiet
20.1.1  igknorantzrulz  replied to  Wheel @20.1    4 years ago

Saw them twice last year.

They did their rendition in a 300 or so venue where tkickets had to be won.

i was very fortunate to be given a ticket, and just barely made it to show.

impressive, versatile band.

quite the range, and for a newer band, most impressive.

Agree 100% on Jonny Cash's cover of 'Hurt'.

another good one is his cover of Soundgardens' Rusty Cage 

igknorantzrulz
PhD Quiet
20.1.2  igknorantzrulz  replied to  igknorantzrulz @20.1.1    4 years ago

johhny cash covering soundgardens rustyb cage

Wheel
Freshman Quiet
20.1.3  author  Wheel  replied to  igknorantzrulz @20.1.2    4 years ago

I've heard this one before and agree that it's a great cover, but it just isn't in the same league with Hurt. Still, it's Johnny Cash so it's great.  He did a song, a long time about, about a guy who worked at Cadillac and stole all the parts for a car but it took him through several model years to do it. Used to always laugh when that one came on the radio.

igknorantzrulz
PhD Quiet
20.1.4  igknorantzrulz  replied to  Wheel @20.1.3    4 years ago

yes, one part at a time.

i've heard that one.

i agree Hurt is better, i just have been a big Soundgarden fan for decades.

Personal Jesus is another of his covers i enjoy

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
20.1.5  sandy-2021492  replied to  Wheel @20.1.3    4 years ago

"Hurt" had me in tears the first time I heard it.

Wheel
Freshman Quiet
20.1.6  author  Wheel  replied to  sandy-2021492 @20.1.5    4 years ago
"Hurt" had me in tears the first time I heard it.

Ikr

igknorantzrulz
PhD Quiet
20.1.7  igknorantzrulz  replied to  sandy-2021492 @20.1.5    4 years ago

Johnny Cash   Hurt

Probably ought to post what's being discussed.

Wheel
Freshman Quiet
20.1.8  author  Wheel  replied to  igknorantzrulz @20.1.7    4 years ago

thanks.  I was hoping someone would go for it

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
20.1.9  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  igknorantzrulz @20.1.7    4 years ago

I LOVE this version.  Johnny Cash adds a feeling that Nine Inch Nails missed.  (not to take anything away from them).

He owned this.

igknorantzrulz
PhD Quiet
20.1.10  igknorantzrulz  replied to  Jeremy Retired in NC @20.1.9    4 years ago

He owned this.

Trent agreed,

and said as much as well.

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
20.1.11  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  igknorantzrulz @20.1.10    4 years ago

I read somewhere (wish I could find it) that Trent said something like "once Johnny Cash covers your song, it's no longer your song".  

igknorantzrulz
PhD Quiet
20.1.12  igknorantzrulz  replied to  Jeremy Retired in NC @20.1.11    4 years ago

Maybe Wheel could steer you. He mentions it in seed .

igknorantzrulz
PhD Quiet
21  igknorantzrulz    4 years ago

not a cover, but Joshs' haunting rendition to CNN's parts unkown

igknorantzrulz
PhD Quiet
22  igknorantzrulz    4 years ago

Rival Sons covering Black Sabbat

MrFrost
Professor Expert
23  MrFrost    4 years ago

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
23.1  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  MrFrost @23    4 years ago

???

Wheel
Freshman Quiet
23.1.1  author  Wheel  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @23.1    4 years ago

Play that Funky Music, covered by Leo Morachioli

good cover, I'm always impressed with a high energy lvl in these covers and this one has it

MrFrost
Professor Expert
23.1.2  MrFrost  replied to  Wheel @23.1.1    4 years ago

As a bonus, that gal with the black hair is....very nice. 

I posted a link to his youtube channel on another article. Joe covers all kinds of songs, metal, country, blues...even covered the theme song for Sponge Bob, (I swear I am not making that up). 

I'll give ya one more that I really enjoyed, done with his wife and daughter.

Link to his youtube channel:

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
23.1.3  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  MrFrost @23.1.2    4 years ago

I love his videos.  They always put a smile on my face.

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
24  sandy-2021492    4 years ago

I can't remember who it was, but somebody on Newsvine pointed me toward Sturgill Simpson.

Wheel
Freshman Quiet
24.1  author  Wheel  replied to  sandy-2021492 @24    4 years ago

Haven't commented sooner because I wanted to give this one a few more listens.  This guy has a BIG voice and he does a lot with it on this song. The instrumentation is simple, but his voice is all the instrument needed. Thumbs up!!!

Wheel
Freshman Quiet
25  author  Wheel    4 years ago

I'm gonna break down and post a couple more from PMJ. Here is Haley Reinhart doing 7 Nation Army in the style of a New Orleans dirge

igknorantzrulz
PhD Quiet
25.1  igknorantzrulz  replied to  Wheel @25    4 years ago

never realized Jack had covered

Wheel
Freshman Quiet
26  author  Wheel    4 years ago

And here's one more, a do-wop version of Miley Cyrus' song, We Can't Stop, Performed by the wonderful Robyn Adele Anderson.

Wheel
Freshman Quiet
27  author  Wheel    4 years ago

Sweet Sisters doing a swing version of Hit the Road Jack

Wheel
Freshman Quiet
28  author  Wheel    4 years ago

The Speakeasy Three swing cover of Ella Fitzgerald's When I Get Low, I Get High.

Wheel
Freshman Quiet
29  author  Wheel    4 years ago

Here's one that I just 'stumbled across'.  Great Big Sea, love those guys, did this cover of Suzi Quatro's Stumblin' In

Dulay
Professor Expert
30  Dulay    4 years ago

When the Levee Breaks

Memphis Minnie and Kansas Joe McCoy

Then by Led Zeppelin

Wheel
Freshman Quiet
30.1  author  Wheel  replied to  Dulay @30    4 years ago

Great old song!! I have seen that postcard/photo montage before. Very moving, thanks for posting this.

katrix
Sophomore Participates
31  katrix    4 years ago

Metallica's cover of Astronomy ... better than the original by Blue Oyster Cult IMO.

And I love Rage's cover of Tom Joad.

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
31.1  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  katrix @31    4 years ago

I have to take Metallica's version of Mercyful Fates "Satan's Fall", "Curse of the Pharaohs", "A Corpse Without Soul", "Into the Coven" and "Evil" .  

Muscially they improved all of them but there is no way James Hetfield can match the vocal abilities of King Diamond.  

katrix
Sophomore Participates
32  katrix    4 years ago

And Chris Cornell's cover of Nothing Compares 2U ... omg!

igknorantzrulz
PhD Quiet
32.1  igknorantzrulz  replied to  katrix @32    4 years ago

Chris Cornell covers Princehttps://youtu.be/IuUDRU9-HRk[jrEmbed module="jrYouTube" youtube_id="IuUDRU9-HRk"]

Wheel
Freshman Quiet
32.1.1  author  Wheel  replied to  igknorantzrulz @32.1    4 years ago

What a fabulous blue'sy cover Love it

katrix
Sophomore Participates
33  katrix    4 years ago

Another good one - Southside Johnny covering Walk Away Renee.

Wheel
Freshman Quiet
34  author  Wheel    4 years ago

Ok, I'm gonna post just one more from PMJ, (I'm probably lyin').  Here is the beautiful and talented Robin Adele Anderson, once again, covering Coolio's Gansta's Paradise. It's in 1920's style when Al Capone ruled the mob.

You'll notice a big difference in her look between this video and one I posted earlier of her cover of Miley Cyrus' song, we can't stop. She has talked about how, when she first started she didn't know anything about how to dress, or do her hair or makeup, she just knew she wanted to sing.

It Is ME
Masters Guide
35  It Is ME    4 years ago

Britney Spears - Toxic (Alex & Sierra cover)

Wheel
Freshman Quiet
35.1  author  Wheel  replied to  It Is ME @35    4 years ago

Good production values on this one. Interesting video, very good over all.

It Is ME
Masters Guide
35.1.1  It Is ME  replied to  Wheel @35.1    4 years ago

They actually did this song on "X-Factor". Judges were excited over them !

"Alex & Sierra - Sultry Cover of Britney Spears' "Toxic" - THE X FACTOR USA 2013"

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
37  Jeremy Retired in NC    4 years ago

There are so many to pick from.  Since my favorite, Hurt by Johnny Cash (IMHO THE best cover ever) was already mentioned, I'll go to the next favorite.  

The Sound of Silence by Disturbed.  Every time this comes up the volume ALWAYS goes up.  There is something about this that really hits me Simon and Garfunkel, they wrote a beautiful song that I play quite a lot. This version just says "play me at full volume" and, at least to me, it sounds great at that level.

Wheel
Freshman Quiet
37.1  author  Wheel  replied to  Jeremy Retired in NC @37    4 years ago

I've heard this one on the radio lots of times, it's not bad.  But I still prefer the original.